Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• bhille1bhille1 Member Posts: 1
    The hitch can carry 400# weight.
    The hitch is capable of 750# with a weight distribution hitch. This does not apply to your situation. The motorcycle will be dead weight. IE use the 400# capacity as your guide
  • jdavis12jdavis12 Member Posts: 19
    I have had absolutely every warranty problem posted on this site with my '02 Bravada....a lucky guy, right? Well, with just over 61k miles I took it in to the dealer for exhaust noise thinking the manifold gasket had failed (typical for this engine) only to find out that the manifold is cracked! I baby this vehicle and there is no logical explanation from the dealer as to why it would crack.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • bobed2121bobed2121 Member Posts: 70
    Just a quick question. I get emails telling me when someone has posted here but I don't want to get them. I searched for a setting to not get email but can't seem to find it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Click the "Change Tracking" link at the bottom of this page. You can unsubscribe then resubscribe making sure not to click the "send email alerts" option.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • seifordseiford Member Posts: 68
    My 2003 Envoy started roaring like a jet engine tonight.

I've seen some posts stating that the fan clutch was the cause of this awful roar.

I'm out of warranty... so is this something an independent shop can do? Is there a firmware update that has to be done after the new fan clutch is installed? I saw some posts that if you replace with the new 'improved' fan clutch you need a PCM update. True?

Thanks.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    I know of several that replaced the clutch without the PCM update and all is well. That update made almost a year before the new type clutch came out so it is not specific to the new clutch design. The manufacturer of the clutch (Behr) says it is backward compatible and reprogramming is not necessary. (GM dealer will probably tell you it is absolutely necessary and you must do it.) I replaced the clutch myself in my garage in a little over an hour, so I would think an independent shop should be able to do it. I would want someone to do it that has done this job before because there are a few details to know that will make it easier. Good luck!
  • jrtgjrtg Member Posts: 1
    i replaced my stock fan/clutch with twin 14" electric fans.
    cost $120. The OEM fan clutch has gone out twice on my 2002 bravada. No more!
    Also---mine has an odd noise coming from the front of the vehicle. It sounds like a rubbing noise and a grinding noise combined? any ideas? it does it when going fairly slow--sometimes straight, sometimes when turning.
    It doesnt always do this---just out of the blue it will.
    Never on the highway---just in town.
  • glubashglubash Member Posts: 19
    Spike,

I'm glad that you got some use out of my 50k mile post. Just a few notes on the 3rd seat of the Envoy. They work well for short hauls, but you wouldn't want to sit back there for more than an hour or so. I have had some complaints from my passengers in the rear that since they were sitting up higher than the rest of the vehicle, it is difficult to see out of the windows. Access to the third row seat is okay, but it requires tilting one of the middle row seats out of the way. In general, I would say that it is nice for infrequent use, but not for everyday travel.

With all of the seats folded down, the storage is pretty good but plan on hooking up your trailer if your are picking up anything the size of a sheet of plywood or larger.

Keep us posted on your final vehicle selection (I may be looking soon myself).

Glubash
  • kevitrakevitra Member Posts: 20
    Our 03 Envoy was sluggish and loud as a jet so we had the clutch replaced under our extended warranty.

Every morning when the truck is cold the fan runs at 100% for about a minute. The service center has told me twice that it is "normal" for the new part. How is this normal? Is this what every one else's does after having it replaced or is something still wrong with ours?

The clutch is the only issue we have had with the truck in 5 years and 60K miles. We like the truck a lot but the loud van makes it sound like a POS. It also still isn't running like it was a year ago but all I heard from the shop is "it is fine."

Thanks
  • spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239

Thanks for your feedback and others who recommend good and bad items of the Envoy XL I6 2wd vehicle. We won't be trading in our current "used" 2003 Safari until its paid off - which is in another 2 years. (so sad because I don't like this old technology "lemon" anymore).

At this point in time, I'm only doing "early" preliminary RAW Data research. And if wondering, we will be replacing our van with an Envoy XL "like" vehicle. Luckily, our focus is on "up to 5,500 lbs" of towing power (for utility trailer pulling) and "long haul" vehicle for family trips. We have a much smaller cross-over FWD vehicle for our daily commute vehicle. If possible, I would like the remove one of its 3rd row seats and thus, having 2+2+1 comfortable seating. And, making extra storage in the rear (by removing one of its 3rd row seats). Not too sure if one seat in the 3rd row seat can be removed. Hopefully, it can.

In the end, the buying power of which "used" vehicle we buy is under my wife's control. I can do all the RAW research in the world but if she doesn't like the way the Envoy XL (or its competition design vehcile) feels on the road, she walks away from it. Since we switch driving positions on long haul trips, the final buying power is really hers. Although, having both good and bad "patterns" of the 2005/2006 vehicles is good "influence" ammunition as well. Especially for high "bad" pattern areas on specific models.

Thanks for allowing me to perform early base research - on the Envoy XL "like" design vehicles.

• wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    On the Envoy XL the 3rd row is 50/50 fold down. You would only get a little more storage space if you got the tools out and removed one side. Also, when folded down for cargo instead of seating, the floor is pretty much flat...I would have to look tonight since the wife drives the Envoy, but if you removed the rear seat, I don't think the cargo floor would be anywhere near flat.

Seat bottom is hinged...raise it up a little and pull forward, then the seatback folds forward and you are ready for cargo with 2, 2, 1 seating...do that again and you have 2, 2 (3 in a pinch) seating. Rear is only good for 2 wide...3 adults will fit in the second row for a maximum seating on 7, 6 is much more comfortable though.
    2002 TB LTZ 4x4 115,000 miles
    We took a trip over the grapevine (between Bakersfield and Los Angeles) 2 weeks ago. The transmission did quite a bit of shifting as expected climbing the hills. When we got back home I noticed oil spots under the TB. I went under the car but the oil was pretty much all over the place probably from the drive and wind pushing it all around. I noticed that the 4x4 switch was set at AWD 4x4 and not on 2wd as it should have been. The oil was not coming from the engine but from the transmission I expect. I washed it off and checked it the other day but didn't see any new leaks. There are two small rubber type plugs that are on the very bottom of what I believe to be the torque converter housing. As far as I can tell the oil may have came from the left side plug. Anyone know what those plugs are for? I can spin them but have not yet tried to pull them out.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Is it oil or transmission fluid? Did you check to see if any of the fluid levels are low?
  • carriegrubbscarriegrubbs Member Posts: 2
    My 04 envoy makes a noise from the rear that makes it sound like a powers wheels. Its a constant whirring noise that get louder when you apply the gas and quieter when you take you foot off. I don't know if the noise is becoming more prominent or if it is just annoying me so I hear it more. Is this common or has anyone done a fix for this?
    Transmission level was slightly low and I'm pretty sure that somehow the drive climbing the grapevine doing 75mph and the transmission shifting from D to possibly as low as 2nd at times caused some sort of "blowbuy" that forced fluid out somewhere. The thing is now on normal driving conditions there is no leaks what-so-ever. I can't figure out where it may have come from and why it is not leaking now??
  • glubashglubash Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone managed to hook up the DVD player or MP3 player into the a Bose factory radio on the Envoy? I have a 2003 XLT and am wondering if adding an auxiliary input is possible. I have found a few web sites that offer harnesses and devices but cannot find anything that specifically says will work with my model.

I have used a number of different FM transmitters without a lot of success (too much interference). My fall back is to add an in-line FM modulator to the antenna wire but a stereo input jack would offer better sound and be more convenient.

The web site that I have been looking at is:
    http://www.oemautosound.com/c-151-gmc-products.aspx

The specific unit that I have been looking at is the "PIE GM12-AUXv2 GMC AUXILIARY ADAPTER 2002-2006" and it states that it requires a CD Changer-ready 12 pin connector at the head unit. Without tearing apart my dashboard, is there any other easy way to find out?

Thank!
    Glubash
  • gmfan4gmfan4 Member Posts: 3
    This is not a mechanical question: I have the 06 TB LT with the XM factory radio, 6 change CD and Bose...the display reads the type of music (country, top tracks, big tracks etc), but the artist has never come up. I would like to see the artist name/song on the display, but it only shows the channel and (country, top tracks, big tracks, etc). When I listen to the regular FM stations, the display shows the name of the artist and song. Does anyone know if I can get that kind of display to show when I am on XM mode? Thanks!
  • gmfan4gmfan4 Member Posts: 3
    I have 2006 LT TB with the 5.3 V-8, not the EXT. I bought the car back in Aug 2006 and everything has been great...I already have 43,000 mi on it. A couple of things:

1. When looking under the hood around the battery, there is an on/off switch...I have never seen this before and was wondering if others had this. My vehicle does have an aftermarket anti-theft device, but I never activate it...it came with the car...do you think it could be the aftermarket device? If so, I wonder if I could turn it off. I bought the car new and the dealership had already installed this on the vehicle.

2. Sometimes, if the vehicle has been sitting overnight or a couple of days, when I crank it up the clock reads 12:00 like the battery was disconnected. All of my pre-set radio channels works fine and are still in memory, but the clock must be rest. Anyone else have this happen? The battery appears strong and is putting out 13-14 volts

3. When I put the vehicle in park, sometimes (and this is going to sound crazy), the speedometer jumps from 0-40 mph and immediately back down...it only does this once when it happens, and it occurs about twice a month.

4. Sometimes when I enter the vehicle, the CD charger is making noise like it thinks there is a CD, when I do not have one in. What the heck? I don't even have the key in the ignition and the CD is "shifting" like it is looking for a CD or trying to eject something.

Thanks for any help. Much appreciated!
  • johntrjohntr Member Posts: 71
    I started hearing a rattling type noise from the engine at idle speed. I figure it is most likely the water pump bearings. I don't have any leaks, but I want to replace it as soon as possible. My question to those that may have taken the task on them self... Is this something that I could do rather than taking it to the garage. I have ~128K miles on it. It's a 2002 Trailblazer, I-6 engine. If it is something I can do, what should I expect to run into? (remove fan, fan clutch, serpentine belt, ect...?) I am fairly mechanical, I used to do my own repairs from valve cover gasket replacement, manifold gaskets, engine starter replacement. But I have never worked on anything newer than 1990.

Just trying to get some ideas as to the value of the job.

Thanks
    John
  • ugltrkugltrk Member Posts: 16
    John, I would check the idler/tension pulley bearing before I went too far.I've had them rattle, and squeal like a water pump.

gmfan4,..I would suspect the radio..

Just a shadetree guess...Bill
    Thanks for the advice. I actually got to look at it today. The fan is loose where it is bolted to the wheel assembly. Is that the fan clutch assembly or just a bearing assembly? I can wiggle the fan by the fan blades.

I will be dropping it off tomorrow at the dealer.

John
  • ugltrkugltrk Member Posts: 16
    Unless you checked to see if the bolts are loose,prob the fan clutch assembly.

Bill
    I didn't have time to replace it, so I took it to the dealer - It was the water pump. All is well again...

Thank you all for the feedback.
    I've been noticing that the top of my left shoe is wet after driving my 2003 Envoy. It looks like dirty water (from melted road salt/snow crud).

Anyone else ever experience this? Where is the leak coming from?

Thanks.
    Seems that since I had the Transmission rebuilt my 4x4 switch is jumping back and forth from 2wd to Awd as I drive. I can feel the slight clunk as it transfers back and forth into each drive mode. I had the switch replaced once probably around 40,000 miles or so (120,000 now). Anyone know what causes this and what needs to be replaced? As I recall it is something in the transfer case that causes this to happen?
  • wharthog69wharthog69 Member Posts: 3
    :cry: sigh. My very reliable, very low maintenance '02 Trailblazer with 175,000 miles died on the way home from a work trip last week. It doggedly traveled 5 miles and up a steep mountain with no oil pressure to a service station near Shady Springs, WV to make sure I got somewhere safe and warm. The engine seized just as I threw it into neutral pulling onto the lot. It was 20 degrees, 9:00 at night, with the wind blowing hard. I'm gonna miss it.

I never realized how emotionally attached I was to the thought of snapping it's 200,000 mile pictures and showing them to everyone. I guess it just won't happen now.

Anybody doing anything interesting with broken Trailblazers these days? Engine swaps?
    I think with that many miles I would just let it go. We just turned 60K on our 02, hope we get another 115K out of it!
    Well let's see. Hows the suspension? Does all the electronics work still? Brakes in good order? No body damage? If you have minimal problems then just get a couple estimates and replace and or rebuild the engine. Or you can go down to your local dealer and start making those strokes on another depreciating asset. Yeah it will smell all nice and the paint will shine but it will be just another used car in a couple years. I will never I REPEAT never buy another brand new car as long as I live. Let some other fool pay full price then swoop in there after a couple years and take it for what it's worth. Has anyone ever bought a used car based on Kelly Blue Book to have it depreciate by 25% only after 3 months? Well that's what happens on brand new vehicles. The big three will be just like the American TV manufactures. Just a name that we once new. Pay a couple grand for a new engine drive it until 2012 then consider getting another car.

Just my $0.02
  • fooldancingfooldancing Member Posts: 2
    I am in need of an upper liftgate molding (it has the 3 brake light in it) for a 02 TrailBlazer LT EXT. Any year from 02 to 06 will fit. If anyone is parting out their old TB or know of a good place for body parts (used) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time,
    Matt Myers
    >>Hows the suspension?
    Meh~ Not bad considering.
    >> Does all the electronics work still?
    Yeah, needs speakers.
    >> Brakes in good order?
    Yup
    >>No body damage?
    Nope
    >>If you have minimal problems then just get a couple estimates ... Pay a couple grand for a new engine drive it until 2012 then consider getting another car.

Yeah, but it was due for replacement this year. I was hoping someone would say "oh yeah - you can go drop a blah-de-blah-de-blah in it and then you can finally put a lift kit on it and get it off road...

ah welll....
    My secret -

Don't do anything to it. At all. Change the oil with synthetic when the change oil light comes one. Replace the battery when it won't hold a charge. Never, ever, change the plugs.

Tires. Headlights. Brakelights.

Drive it. Lots.
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    "Don't do anything to it. At all. Change the oil with synthetic when the change oil light comes one. Replace the battery when it won't hold a charge. Never, ever, change the plugs"
    Um, the plugs? Gotta change those no later than 100K. You're joking right? Or maybe you like not passing your smog check, getting crappy gas milage, worse performace and looking at your check engine light. I dunno.
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    "Yeah, but it was due for replacement this year. I was hoping someone would say "oh yeah - you can go drop a blah-de-blah-de-blah in it and then you can finally put a lift kit on it and get it off road..."
    Forget about that lift kit stuff. Front axel runs right through the oil pan. I haven' been paying attention to this board lately, but I don't know as anyone's gotten around that.
    Ross, have you changed your plugs? I just ordered a half dozen from RockAutoDOTcom for $38. All 6 from Kragen's or Autozone would have cost me over $75. Rockauto Rocks! Anyways have you changed yours? Any advice before I tackle it. Also is you have a minute have you replaced shocks as well? I was wondering on the front struts once I unbolt the assembly if I can expect the spring to try and take my head off? Will the spring need to be compressed before disassembly?

02 TB LTZ 6cyl.
    120,000 miles
    new transmission at 119,000
  • myjessieloomyjessieloo Member Posts: 1
    I have a question about how much room there is in the Chevy Trailblazer that has the 3 rows of seats. I am traveling to NH and my sister is planning on picking us up at thBoston airport in her Trailblazer. She swears that she'll be able to hold all of us and our luggage, but she's not good at estimating things like this, so I'm hoping someone here can help me....

We'll have to fit 4 adults, which includes my sister who's driving, two car seats to hold the two kids that are 3 years old, and then our luggage and one of those large strollers that fold down. I've read that the 3 seat Trailblazer holds 7, but will it also hold all the luggage and stroller, or does the third seat take up the room that luggage would fit in?

If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it....Thank You!
    myjessieloo
  • fmportfmport Member Posts: 9
    Yes you should be ok. The third row seat is good for your kids with car seats, and you can fold down the single seat on second row, This would leave you with the space from the folded seat on second row, and the space behind the third seat for luggage.
    Anyone have trouble with the front differential leaking?

My local shop diagnosed the leak as being from the front diff. They said they have seen many Envoys/Trailblazers with this problem. $261 to replace the seal. But they said it's really hard to fix.. have seen repeats.

Any others?
    I can find reference to a TSB titled "Repeat front axle leak", but can't find the whole bulletin. It's listed as TSB# 3177, (NHTSA # 10010599).

Does anyone have the whole bulletin?
  • 03oldssuv03oldssuv Member Posts: 2
    Has anybody seen this problem in their vehicle with the same climate control system as a Olds 03 Bravada? Let's say I'm standing idle for an extended amount of time, my outside temp on the climate control screen will start to click down to -33F which in turn effects the cabin temp and will stay while I'm driving.
    Thanks
    AC
  • envoyenvy2envoyenvy2 Member Posts: 44
    Sounds like a temp sensor. Easy / cheap fix, do a search for more info..

If i recall about $16 and ten minutes of time
  • envoyenvy2envoyenvy2 Member Posts: 44
    is it leaking from the cv joint?
  • bsongerbsonger Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Envoy that continues to blow a fuse that shuts off the turn signals, the compass and thermometer reading. While driving down the road the tac continues to bounce, but the engine is not reving. The air won't work, the cruise won't work. The vehicle will run until you turn the key off. After that it won't start until the fuse is changed. The dealer had it for 3 weeks last fall, but could not find a problem. When it happens we just have to change the fuse. Seems to happen consistantly when it has sat in the sun, then you put the air on. Anyone have this problem or a similar one? :(
  • 03oldssuv03oldssuv Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I look into it.
    A shop had to re-charge our battery and now the climate (HVAC) controls do not work at all. Fuse? There is no display on the controls and hot air is even coming out of the front defrost vents. Blown fuse?
  • dooper67dooper67 Member Posts: 26
    Original BFG wearing out after 40K on 2004 LS, with some cracking. Drive 50% highway, 50% city. What would be a long lasting, fairly quiet tire? Seems to be a choice between knobby truck tires or more passenger car tires. Any advantages/disadvantages to either? Tire shop recommended General Grabber HTS. Thanks.
    Jerry
    Knobby truck or off road crossover style tread will be noisier, especially on the highway.
    I would go with a regular highway style tread based on your use (all paved roads). Using a performance tire on a Trailblazer only buys you aesthetics, it's not a sports car by any means.
    I put Coopers on my 02 when it was time, a good value with above average ratings, and I've had no complaints.
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    I'm at about 35K miles on my 5-1/2 year old Bravada (obviously light duty). Last fall, based on a check of transfer case fluid, my GM BadWrench shop said that the tech said that the fluid looked dark and should be changed; only about $350. Decided I hold off until this summer based on financial considerations. Today, Mr. BadWrench says that the tech said that the transmission fluid looked dark and should be changed. New low price of about $165. I mention the transfer case fluid issue from last fall and he says don't worry about that, because of the synthetics in the fluid it will go for 100K miles. I said no to the transmission fluid change at this time.

Now the service requirement for the transfer case fluid is 50K miles and for the transmission fluid is 100K miles. I've read that there is some sensitivity regarding the transfer case fluid and it may be a good idea to change it early. But, this whole thing seems like a sales job for service I don't really need. The vehicle does not exhibit any symptoms of any problems with the transfer case or transmission.

Comments?
  • boulandbouland Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Trailblazer that is doing the same thing. The dealer said they would have to run down every circuit and there were several on that one fuse.
  • jdavis12jdavis12 Member Posts: 19
    I have the exact same problem.....and don't live on the north pole. Please reply when you find the part number and whether replacing the temp sensor fixed the problem. Does anybody know where that sensor is located?
  • yatesdyatesd Member Posts: 60
    My Bravada came standard with the Michelin Cross Terrain tires. These are expensive, but well worth it. I replaced my first set at 75K miles only because I was heading into Winter and had two tires patched for holes. They last a long time, are quiet, and handle well. I am also please with the traction in the rain and the snow.

BTW, www.tirerack.com is generally a great place to get tire reviews.