Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• kjakin07kjakin07 Member Posts: 2
    When I purchased my 06 Envoy the sales manager said that he had read that 08 would be the last year for the Envoy, but I can't find anything anywhere that says or backs that up. Has anyone heard anything about GM stopping the line? Of course everything is open to change now with gas prices and the Envoy isn't known for it's great gas mileage.
    Thanks for any input.
    Ken
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    That's the way I heard it too.
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    How in the world did you get 75K miles on your Bravada's Michelin Cross-Terrain tires? Yes, they are a great tire and I plan to replace them in kind on my 2003 Bravada, but that is with just under 40K miles on them. I've had the dealer and another shop tell me the thread is at replacement level and I've measured it myself using Consumer Reports thread depth recommendation and they are telling the truth. So, before the snow falls, October here in Colorado, I'll be putting a new set of Michelin X-Terrains on my Bravada, but I'll still be under 40K miles.

BTW, the latest consumer alert regarding tires over 6 years old (side-wall deterioration due to aging of the tire compounds) also would impact my tires if I keep them beyond this year. They were manufactured in August 2002.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I got about 62K miles on a 2004 Envoy XL Michelin Cross Terrain tires. Just replaced at Sears a few weeks ago as they were on sale for $169 +installation+road hazard+etc. WalMart and Sam's were up over $200 each before add-ons and tax. The Cross Terrains were not all the way down to wear bars, 4/16 to 6/16 remaining IIRC. Still legal, but they were getting as low as I like to go on tires. I had not rotated them in probably 30K miles so they were just a little uneven. I seem to recall looking at them a year or so ago and it seem the tires have gone up at least $20-30 each since then. IMHO just another cost jump due to high oil prices.
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    $200 per tire before the add-ons and taxes is outrageous! I purchased sports car performance tires in past years and have never paid more that $130 per tire. I think there is a lot more inflation in our economy than the Fed is paying attention to. Time to tighten up the Funds rate and discount rate at the Fed before we are paying $300 per tire.

I also noticed that there aren't the constant tire sale ads in the local papers like there used to be a few years ago. Something has definitely changed in this market in the five years or so since I last bought tires for anything.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lots of oil goes into tires. And they weigh a bit, so shipping costs have gone up.

"the price of oil, now at all-time highs, makes up 60% of the raw materials cost for a tire. Natural rubber, a commodity nearing 28-year price highs, makes up another 25%."

As tire prices rise, drivers delay purchases (USA Today)
    The increase I saw at Walmart and Sams encouraged me to go ahead and pull the trigger on the sale price at Sears...before those go up as well. I had gotten more than enough miles from the first set and if I get 40-50K miles from the second set I will be at or over the replace the vehicle time and mileage. I think consumers that were already stretched before this last years run up in prices are really feeling the pain now and it will probably only get worse for the next year or two. I hate to predict past that since we are where I thought we would be maybe 4-5 years from now... This has been crazy and I don't see where it will end in the short term.
  • excel1excel1 Member Posts: 1
    I am wanting to change the plugs in my 04 Raineer. I have never changed any with the individual coil packs. Does anyone have any advise?
  • ghof7254ghof7254 Member Posts: 1
    As to the front differential leaking, I too have the same problem, I took my 2003 Envoy 64,000 MI in March 5 2008 -- was told the seal is leakig and had it repaired, I thought. In july I again noticed oil on the garage floor. I took it back to the shop that replaced the seal and was told the same thing, it is a design flaw and hard to repair, and that even if I repaired it again it would probably still leak????? The first time it was $885.42 and my extended warranty covered all but the $50 deduct. I was also told that the warranty might not cover it again if it was replaced again so I have to have it checked every so often and add fluid if needed, HOW STUPID IS THAT???.
    I have not looked at the Rainer/Envoy/Trailblazer plugs and coil packs. I will look at them soon since it is about time to change the plugs on my wife's Envoy. If the coil packs are similiar to the ones on my '00 Trooper it is possible that one or more will be difficult to break loose from the plug. Trooper has a rubber tube covering the spring down from the coil to connet to the plug..tend to get stuck and difficult to remove. IF that happens do not try and force them off since they can tear and if that happens you might have to replace the complete coil pack. Take compressed air and blow down the center of the rubber tube and it will pop right off. I used one of those small 'compressor' you can get for $20-$30 for inflate your tires...worked real well using one of the pointed inflater tips that came with it. You could probably even use a manual pump but might need assistance to hold it in place.
  • earlcearlc Member Posts: 34
    Do any of you know if GM has discontinued the Trailblazer, Envoy and Rainier. I heard that neither one would be produced after the '08 models but I haven;t been able to confirm this. Thanks
    I went to gmsupplierdiscount.com and looked under the incentives they list... None of these were showing up in the list of 2009 models but were there for the 2008's. Interesting that they were showing $6000 incentives on the 2008s. But that does not really confirm either way.

Edit... I next went to www.gm.com, selected GMC, then went to Build Your Own.. chose 2009 and the Envoy does show up there. So, maybe they are still building them after all.
  • alancsnalancsn Member Posts: 2
    Have a family member that weighs towards 400 pounds. Any SUV model or sedan that can take that weight on a constant basis?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to give What's the best vehicle for my needs? a try.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • handyandy3handyandy3 Member Posts: 21
    in your message about trailer towing you mentioned that the air suspension worked great to keep the load level---I am getting conflicting answers about the auto air suspension on my 2005 rainier some GM people say to disengage the system when towing others say leave it alone these same conflicting answers are also coming from RV dealer service people---so who do I believe which mode should I tow my trailer in----any insight from you could be very helpful

thanks
    handyandy3
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    HandyAndy3:

I do not have the ability to turn the air suspension on or off in my Envoy. It is "on" all the time and usually I hear it come on every time I start the car. It has done that since new. I can turn on or off the aux. air pump outlet located in the passenger side rear panel in the cargo area. I cannot imagine why someone would not want it on when towing unless there was some fear it would overload the system. That has never happened to me. I would think that even if you could turn it off while towing that the back end would sag lower due to the extra weight of the trailer tounge. My Envoy has the extra duty towing package so I have always assumed that the air rear suspension was designed to work in towing situations. Mine is a 2002 that I bought new 7 years and 1 month ago and the air suspension has worked the entire time. We have towed with it during the summer since new. Our boat/trailer weighs 5000# and the Envoy tows it just fine. Does your owner's manual say anything about it? Do you have a switch that lets you turn the air suspension feature on and off? On mine the air suspension has air bladders instead of rear coil springs. I replaced the rear shocks last year but they are not connected to the air suspension bladders and are just plain old shock absorbers.
    Good luck and keep us posted!

Hardhawk
    I have only had my rainier for a month now and did not tow my trailer (4800#) with it yet because I wanted to be sure about the air suspension----the fellow from the help desk at buick customer service told me to disable the system by just pulling the fuse when I am towing----I think that I will judge for myself by towing with and without the suspension activated----I am going camping for the holiday so I will try it at that time and let you know what happened

thanks
    handyandy3
  • envoyagerenvoyager Member Posts: 4
    "the fellow from the help desk at buick customer service told me to disable the system by just pulling the fuse when I am towing,"

That sounds like the absolutely most absurd "customer service rep's" advice I've ever heard.

If towing something caused an adverse response in the model you own, the manufacturer would have designed something a little more "sophisticated" than pulling a fuse.

And I would sure get hold of the franchise owner and get, in writing, what he would suggest in the situation you describe.
  • glubashglubash Member Posts: 19
    The air bladders can handle the rating of the hitch. I would not tow with the suspension system turned off because the back end will sag like crazy and the handling will probably stink. If you are concerned about overloading the system, check your trailer weight (fully loaded) as well as the load on the hitch. You should be able to do that at any public scale.

Good luck.
    thanks guys for all of the input---going on the popular opions of your answers and my hunch I will not disengage the air suspension when towing---my vehicle will not be overloaded (I had it scaled) so the system should handle it with no problem at all plus the fact that it towed fine to and from the the yard where the scale was located

thanks again
    You are most welcome. I have gained a lot of insight in 7 years in this forum. I hope your Rainier serves you as well as our Envoy has us. We had a few first year minor glitches, but overall the Envoy has been a great vehicle. With our oldest son getting his learner's permit soon we plan on keeping the Envoy for a good long time. It will be a great vehicle for him to learn to drive in. If you ever have a question be sure to check the search feature here as you may find that it has already been answered by someone. I have done that many times.
    :)
  • buickrainbuickrain Member Posts: 5
    We bought a 2005 Rainier and we are not able to turn on the reading, dome and mirror vanity lights except by using the instrument panel brightness knob. The vanity mirror lights have never come on. The dome and reading lights will come on when you open the doors and when you shut the engine off and pull out the key. I was wondering if there was an adjustment I was missing?
    very simple to do so by 1) reading lights--push either lens to turn on then push lens again to turn off 2) dome lights--same as reading lights 3) the vanity lights come on automatically when the mirror is opened if not then the bulbs are burned out and will need replacing usually by the dealer or a person who knows their way around cars quite well
    Thank you for your help, but I don't think you understand. I have pushed the lenses and when the lights are on with the door open or after the engine is shut off and the key is pulled I can turn them off and on. If I am driving or just stopped with the engine on or off none of the reading lights, dome lights or the mirror lights will come on. I am not sure if the vanity mirror lights are working because neither one has ever came on.
    sorry I misunderstood you but I also have a 2005 rainier and my lights will come on at any time with the engine running or not---I can't even guess what is wrong so I would suggest that if you recently purchased the vehicle take it back to the dealer and ask them how the lights are supposed to work or try calling buick customer service at 800-762-2737 expect a wait and have your V.I.N. number ready (vehicle information number from your registration

I tried

ken z
    Thanks for your information. I'll try the dealer and see what I find out.
  • floepfloep Member Posts: 7
    The issue is with the the load equalizing bars. procedure is: back up to the trailer , shut of the air bladder pump [use fuse] hook up trailer, set up the bars as you do with any vehicle [so many loose links] then re engage the air bladder pump. Remember the number of loose links for the next time of hook up and you will not have to go through this exercise again. The point of doing it this way is that the vehicle height sensor will try to compensate for the tongue weight and you will not know if the bars are distributing enough or too much weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle.
    On the dash just below the main light switch there is a button called the dome override switch, it has a picture on it of a light with a diagonal slash on it , activate that and all will be well. It is used if you have the tail gate open, as when having a long load and you don't want the interior lights on.
    thanks a lot your input is exactely what I needed to know---now I can have ease of mind when towing my trailer knowing I hooked it up correctly

thanks again
    ken z
    My dome and reading lights come on after I shut off the engine and pull the key out of the ignition and also when I open the doors and then they shut off when they time out. The problem that I'm having is being able to turn the lights on or off when the vehicle is not running or when I'm driving down the road. I haven't been able to get the vanity lights to work at all, even when opening the cover. I have also tried the dome override button and all it does is turn the lights on and off when they are on, as I described at the first of my reply. The only other way I can get the lights to come on is using the panel dimmer knob, but the vanity lights have never come on.
    Everything you have tried shows the vehicle is doing what it is designed to, do with the exception of vanity lights and lights, without the entry,exit feature.This points to the one circuit of the lights that has no power. That whole mess of lights is fed by 2 separate circuits. In your case the one circuit is fine, but the other one is dead, probably a blown fuse, check fuse 41 and 4 in the rear seat fuse block. If the fuse blows immediately on replacement, back out the 3 screws in the plastic visor mountings.. The power feed {orange wire} for the vanity light runs just above the mounting and could be speared by one of the mounting screws. If it all works now, take one visor of at a time and check wire for pierce mark, tape up and reinstall, voila!
    Thanks for your input. I checked the fuses they were both alright. I don't think you understand my problem, or all of it. I'll try to explain it better. The reading and dome lights only come on when I open the door and or when I shut the engine off and pull the key out of the ignition. After the lights have timed out, there is no power to the dome and reading lights. I have pushed all the lenses and nothing happens. I can turn the dome and reading lights on by turning the dash light dimmer switch to the right. As I said before the vanity lights never have come on, but I haven't checked the bulbs or the wiring.
    Your description is accurate and I understand the problem and it all points to 1 fuse of the two feeding these circuits, is dead. My problem is: I misled you, it is fuse 4 and 40 not 41, both are in the rear fuse block under the left back seat. If you still have problem between the checking procedure of the last message and this one I refer you to the service manual Vol3 page 8-544, 8-545 or 546, depending on wether it is a short or long wheelbase. the wiring runs in the roof liner down the left "B"pillar to the floor and to the fuse block. There is there a "body control module" [BCM] it could be defective, but not lightly. FLOEP :blush:
  • jonathan_216jonathan_216 Member Posts: 22
    I have a 2002 Trail blazer ltz. 74,000 on it. today the oil pressure gauge started going back and forth and then dropped to zero. display screen on dash said stop engine oil pressure low. Engine did not make any noise like it had lost oil pressure. Stopped the truck restarted it was fin for like a min then it did the samething. stopped again shut it off. Now its fine. has anyone had a similar issue? If so how did you fix it?
  • chevygirlseptchevygirlsept Member Posts: 9
    here's a doozy for anyone who is an electrical genius and can figure out what really ails my truck:

Here are the issues:
    1) lights have gone out while driving during the night (this has happened 2 times) I put my flashers on then fiddled a little with the ignition and after about a minute they came back on

2) Sometimes the car desn't want to turn over it grinds 3 revolutions graoning and moaning then kick on...sometimes I have to resatt then kicks over ok. Thia has happened about 6 times

3) Stalled at a red light. 1 time

4) "no air bag" light comes light comes on. 2 times

5)" get engine checked" light always on. Depending on whether I'm hauling a trailer it is intermitten

6) Battery light came on the a message about no charge getting to the battery. That went away after I jiggled and fiddled with the wires.

7) Today I put the air on 74 degrees and blew the fan on hight for about 8 minutes...then turned the fan way down to lo and as I accelarated the fan blower went from lo to high depending on the rpms and as I accelerated the sound was louder than normal. Usually I hardly here my car running. The blower issue went away when I turned the air off.

8) The other day I noticed that all the little buttons on my steering wheel were burning hot.

Any ideas as to what might be ailing my Trailblazer? It's an 03' straight 6 and I replaced the alternator 2 years ago and the battery 6 months ago (3rd one) And I live in South Florida...
  • chevygirlseptchevygirlsept Member Posts: 9
    9) And the water gauage was not working... the needle laid all the way to the left (cold) while the other guages all indicaed normal activity including the battery guage (This information is no doubt pertinant to all the other itemized issues)

Thanks

Chevygirl
  • uschevydriveruschevydriver Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Trailblazer which I bought new. I noticed a few years ago that it sits lower on the right side by about 3/4 inch. I have had it checked by the dealership and they can not find any problems. They had no good explanation for it. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks.
    If you have the auto level ride have the dealer (or another dealer) check the pressures in the air lift system they should match or be real close---I had this problem with my Rainier---the dealer found a difference and replaced something on the system and it corrected the problem---sorry but I do not recall what they replaced
  • envoyenvy2envoyenvy2 Member Posts: 44
    If you go back to message 15029, there are several messages regarding this problem, including what I did to correct mine on message 15071.

This assumes you have the load leveling suspension.
  • jay1480jay1480 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Buick Rainier that I fried the battery on. I bought a new battery and the car now starts but all I have are my headlights. Every light or power controlled device inside or out now does not work. Is there a main fuse that I blew or do I have to check all 110 fuses?
    -Jason
    It would help [not being able to see, or hands on] to tell how you fried a battery. First of I would suggest the 125a. fuse #48 underhood fuse box.It would give approx the symptoms described. If you want more accurate answer, give more details, how did you fry it, where did it stink, what works and what does not. Floep
  • mmohsinmmohsin Member Posts: 1
    Dear jonathan I too have 2002 trailblaer ltz 80,000 miles, with the same problem of low oil pressure sign with a smooth engine. Can you please tell me how to fix it.
  • slipkid1slipkid1 Member Posts: 1
    everyone,

New to the forum, so please bear with me. I have a 2002 Trailblazer LTZ which i am very satisfied with. I also do almost all of my work on my cars (have been since I was 16, and am now 53). Howere, I have a problem I can't seem to solve. I was replacing a rear w/w switch and had the left IP panel closeout and knee bolster out. After the repair, I put it back together and lo and behold - half of my IPC backlighting is out. I can still see the speedo and gauges, butthe tach and half the speedo lights are gone. I took the IPC out to see if there were any burnt bulbs and the IPC is sealed and is just a circuit board. Also, the dimmer switch works still, but its backlighting is also out. All other IP lights work and will dim via the dimmer switch. Are there TWO wire power feeds to the IPC and maybe one circuit needs to be repaired? Or could it be the dimmer switch itself? Or, because 1/2 the IPC lights up and reacts to the dimmer switch, am I looking at an IPC repair or replace? Can the IPC circuit board be that fragile that a slight jar would burn outthe LED lights? Really looming for some help here. Even the actual Trailblazer OEM Service Manuals (I get them for all of my cars through Helm Inc.) does not address this issue. Can someone help me or point me in the right direction? It is a shame that I would have to replace the entire cluster for just a lighting problem...

Thank you so much for your time!

Slipkid1
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Did you have to flex the IP printed circuit to get it out? It's possible that a trace on the printed circuit was damaged. I wouldn't think there would be more than one power connection for the backlights, but really don't know. If there's more than one though, check the connector where it's connected to the circuit card (if you can get to it), that's a prime place to have broken connections after removing and replacing the plug.
    Today marks the end of production for GM's mid-sized SUV products, the Trailblazer, Envoy, and Saab. GM is abandoning the mid-size SUV market, as is Chrysler, who will end production of the Aspen and Durango on December 31st. Now, those of us who need to tow anything significant will have to go with a full sized pickup or SUV, as there will be nothing left in the mid-size range. The new GM Lambda's can now tow a maximum of 5200 lbs, but I would not want to hook up my 5000 lb boat/trailer to one of them and go very far. My Envoy pulls it with no problem, yet isn't a big land yacht in and of itself, like a big Yukon or Suburban is. Glad I only have 76,000 miles on the Envoy in 7.5 years as it looks like it is going to have to last me a while.
  • sandro1sandro1 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2004 trailblazer. for some reason my headlamps are not working. fuses are fine. bulbs are fine. all other lights work. high beams work. can't figue it out. can somone help. :mad:
  • sandro1sandro1 Member Posts: 2
    :cry: headlamps still not working. unhooked battery for 35 min. still don't work. headlamp fuses are fine. bulbs are fine. could it be another fuse somewhere.
  • jonnyfishjonnyfish Member Posts: 1
    ok i have a 2003 GMC Envoy, i had my oil changed this morning and then hooked up my trailer thats loaded and about 4300-4400 pounds total, started going down that highway (in south florida) when all of a sudden my cruise control stopped working and no longer works.

Ive checked all related fuses... no idea where the sensor is so i havent checked it... any ideas?
    If you have electric brakes on your trailer and the controler for them is hooked to the wrong terminal of the brake switch of your Envoy it will behave as you state, it will also affect other items like torque converter lock up clutch.Floep
  • dornbosjdornbosj Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Rainier and I can't get my headlights to come on either! High beams work. Fuse is fine. There is now power to the fuses. Not sure what to do next.