Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    Rear pads can last 100K miles, but front pads go about half that. Ask them for a measurement of the front pad thickness; unless they lie or don't know how to measure the pad, that should give you the information you need regarding replacement. There seems to be a lot of opinions on this, but 1/16" seems to be the absolute minimum thickness (I think the wear indicators start to sing before this point, but I could be wrong), with most saying 3/32" or even 1/8" as the point at which they should be replaced.

Yes, they should turn the rotors when they change the pads. Since you have never had a brake job, the rotors should be okay to turn unless they are warped, in which case they require replacement for safe, quiet, and smooth future operation. Turning a warped rotor will often lead to a too thin remaining rotor, which will only warp again very quickly from heat during usage.

I think most folks just use the exchange method. When I changed mine at 39K (brownish ting to fluid), the dealer made no attempt to up-sell. In fact he really didn't want me to take the "pan drop" option as it was not necessary with the design of the system.

I've run some "powerful" stuff through my injector system, but my mileage has still deteriorated. I too would be interested in others comments on the dealer's injector cleaning service. I had an '85 Nissan 300ZX Turbo that required the multi-port injectors to be "rodded out" about every 40K miles else performance and mileage suffered badly. I don't know exactly what the dealers offer for these SUVs or whether it is at all worth it.
  • snokingsnoking Member Posts: 47
    Our Rainier is starting to repeatly get a P0442 error. Onstar twice said check the fuel cap for being tight. I reset the error with my code reader, but a couple months later I get it again. I checked the fill pipe seat and cleaned the gasket on the cap. Anyone else having this issue currently?

Chris
    We have a 2004 and it does not use oil. Maybe it has something to do with the displacement on demand V8. The only thing our V8 uses is a lot of gas! It has never seen a service station it did not like or want to stop at.

My wife however loves it! It will turn on a dime and give her change.

Chris
    Replace the fuel cap. I think it is a chronic problem with these SUVs that the fuel caps won't hold the required pressure after about 5 years.
  • glubashglubash Member Posts: 19
    If replacing the cap doesn't work, it could be a problem with the fill tube on the tank. I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but there was a service recall for road salt corrosion on the fuel tank fill tube (only if the vehicle was purchased in the "salt belt").
  • handyandy3handyandy3 Member Posts: 21
    make sure after you put in fuel you turn the gas cap at least 3 clicks if that doesnt cure the problem it is probably time for a new fuel filler car (they do go bad)

ken z
    Rain Belt here, near Mt Rainier! Chris
  • pepito51pepito51 Member Posts: 16
    Thinking about having my Envoy with 78,000 mi. checked for new brake pads. At previous tire rotations I've been told they are "OK". Gmgoodwrench has a special this month (after $25 rebate) of $74.95. This includes installation of ACDelco DuraStop ceramic front brake pads. If rotors have to be turned, they told me that is about $80.00 extra. Four questions:
    1) How good are the DuraStop ceramic pads?. Is that the same as or as good as OEM?
    2) Why is it only "front brake pads"? Is it uncommon to have to do the rears, or do they last longer?
    3) Does this sound like a good deal?
    4) For future info, how long do rotors generally last before they, too, have to be replaced?
    Thanks!
    2. Most of the stopping power with a disc brake vehicle come from the front brakes. The rear discs typically last twice as long or longer.

3. Don't know. Get a quote from a reliable independent shop (not Midas).

4. At 78K miles, if you need brake pads you should have the rotors turned. Milling the rotors removes imperfections in the surface of rotor, which will allow your new pads to stop better and last longer. Unless you go to Midas or you have rotor warpage that requires a lot of milling to flatten, you should be able to have rotors turned at least twice without replacement. There is some minimum rotor thickness that must be maintained for safety and the mechanic will tell you when you have reached that point. The problem with Midas is that they machine the heck out of the rotors the first time so you have to have them replaced the second time. And there will be a second time because they use cheap pads that wear out quickly. It is a game for them and the sucker line (yeah, I fell for it years ago) is lifetime pad replacement.
  • slipkidslipkid Member Posts: 10
    TROOTH AVOID MIDAS!
    got ripped into $900 of service.
    had i driven 80 miles to my old mechanic it woulda been about $200-$300.

i only go to midas for the $19.99 oil change adn tire rotation and then nod my head when they attempt to tell me what's wrong.
  • rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    Funny, my 2002 Envoy XL with 63K miles also needs new pads...the brakes make strange "whoosh" sound instead of the more expected grinding sound.

Where did you get the GM goodwrench deal from, is there a coupon for it?
    You may be able to find the brake special coupon on your dealer's website. My dealer had it on his. If your dealer doesn't show it, first make sure he's a participant in the special You can go to www.gmgoodwrench.com Once inside the site, click on the tab called "Offers", and the info about the brake special will appear. There will be a link to download the rebate form. As I understand it you have to pay the $99.95, then send in the rebate form for $25, making the cost $74.95. It expires August 31, 2009. So you'd have to do it by end of the month.
    Hi, just did a long search online and can't find out the weight tolerance of the stock roof racks. looking to buy 2 kayaks and want to just toss the thule mounts right to the crossbars but I think they might max out at 75lbs. will need at least 100lbs for two 50 lbs boats.

thanks
    I can't find a link or reference, but IIRC, the load limit for the roof rack on that series of SUVs is 200 pounds.
  • trojan_dctrojan_dc Member Posts: 2
    My wife just told me that her car will not produce any air from any of the vents. I just checked it and no matter how high or low I set the fan speed nothing comes out of the vents. I have read about the blower motor but cannot find any diagrams to show what it looks like. I don't even know if this is the problem. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
    when you turn the fan on if you hear the motor running the blower motor is good---if the motor only runs on 1 speed (usually high) you need a blower motor resistor---but if the motor is running and nothing is coming out of the vents it is more then likely due to a bad valve directing the flow of air---I believe on your car there are at least 3 of these valves and getting to them is no easy job and is better left to a qualified technician---sorry but that is the best I can offer you

ken z
  • trojan_dctrojan_dc Member Posts: 2
    The blower doesn't make any noise when I turn on the air. Would that be the blower motor? I just don't know what it looks like or where I'm supposed to be looking. We just had one of the actuators replaced 5 months ago at a cost of $600 at the dealer. I am not looking to have to go back there and spend another large amount.
    if the blower motor is not making any sound at any speed it sure sounds like the blower motor is shot or it could possibly be a fuse---first check for the fuse if you don't have your manual to tell you where the fuse is--the listing is on the inside of the fuse box cover under the hood---if the fuse is good my suggestion is for you to go to your nearest Auto Zone they should have a picture of where the blower motor is located and they can tell you if it is a diffucult job for you to remove and replace--if all this fails go back to the gm dealer that did the actuator replacement and talk to the service manager----yes I said manager not technician----because the work they performed is warrented for 12 months and you might get a break on the cost of the new repair

ken z
    is this their answer to a more fuel efficient Envoy? it's a couple inches smaller all around. looks like less towing capacity. rear seat legroom is adjustable. that's nice. only did a quick look this AM on the GMC site.
  • mhaskinsmhaskins Member Posts: 1
    If you still have that shop manual pic of the 02 trailblazer resistor could you send it to my email? I am having the same problems, it only wants to work on level 5 and sometimes won't work at all. my email matthaskins77@yahoo.com It is very much appreciated.

Thank you

Matt Haskins
  • c118fec118fe Member Posts: 23
    where do I find a breakdown of the 117 point check for "certified" pre-owned? Thanx.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good question. Edmunds just has the broad overview.

Does checking the air in the tires count for 5 check-offs or just one?

Anyone?
    Well, we are still having P0442 issues. Put the Rainie on a lift today and looked at the fuel tank. No signs of a leak at the tank. New cap did not fix the issue, will check all the hose under the hood. Anyone have a drawing on the vacuum hoses?

SNOKING
    Well, I cleaned the EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Valve after doing a vacuum leak down test on it. After cleaning it seems ok.

Look at post #259 http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?p=841576#post841576

SNOKING
  • ss06ss06 Member Posts: 2
    i have a ss with 4:10 gears and i get about 14.5 to 15.3 if i keep my foot off the pedal with the ss that is the only gear you can get
    the SS Trailblazer is not noted for being a gas mizer instead it is really a gas
    hog
  • jayarrasjayarras Member Posts: 1
    Will 17" Envoy rims fit a Trailblazer and vice versa? There seem to be more Envoy rims available on Craigslist and I own a TB that I want a set of spare wheels for for snows. Mine is an '02 EXT. Do I have to worry about the year as long as the size is the same? Thanks
    I would think that they would be the same wheel but to be safe and sure your best bet would be to contact a place that sells tires and wheels exclusively---in michigan we have belle tire and discount tire who are the largest retailers and most places like this are more then helpful plus knowlegable about their products

ken z
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Yes.
  • johntrjohntr Member Posts: 71
    From a 2002 Trailblazer owners manual:

NOTICE:
    Loading cargo that weighs more than 220 lbs.
    (100 kg) on the luggage carrier may damage
    your vehicle.
    When you carry cargo on the luggage carrier of a
    proper size and weight, put it on the slats, and
    distribute the weight evenly. Then slide the
    crossrail up against the rear of the load, to help
    keep it from moving. You can then tie it down.
    Cargo containers must be loaded on the
    crossrails only.
  • aldanaldan Member Posts: 19
    I would say the filler neck from the tank to the cap is not air tight, it could be a return line or the entire assembly. I would try trailvoy.com for a home fix.
  • aldanaldan Member Posts: 19
    guys just recently flipped 100,000 miles. I've owned since mile 4. Purchased Dec 15th 2002. 7-8 north east winters, tough driving conditions. I live in the lake effect zone south of Buffalo NY. Great Vehicle. Few issues. Salt wreaks havoc, i would recommend paying $100 every year to get the oil spray from car-well or rustop. This would have saved me a few unnessary repairs, all salt related.

I plan to keep this until it blows up.

Good Luck, good vehicle. Just wash the salt off it every chance you get!!!
  • scsweetpeascsweetpea Member Posts: 4
    I'm having tow problems:
    1) When a/c is on sometimes the blower blows, sometimes not. Turning the speed up or down does not adjust the air flow. It might blow a little bit but then when driving down the road it turns on full blast. Then on it's own when it wants to starts blowing nothing again.

2) When I turn the car off the A/C Heater Blower does not turn off. Once in awhile if I keep messing with it or turn the car on and off it might stop. It has drained my battery twice now and I have to unhook the battery to get it to stop.
    When I hook the battery back up, start the car, I do not turn it on an dit will turn on automatically even though you do not hear it adn then I am back in the same boat again.......

Somebody please help!!!
    Thanks Jess
  • cbwilshacbwilsha Member Posts: 70
    If you have Manual A/C, replace the Blower Motor Resistor. If you have Automatic A/C, replace the Blower Motor Control Module. Both are located just behind the glove box and will require no more than ten minutes to unplug the old and plug in the new. There is a 99% chance that will fix your problem which is a very common one.

C.B.
  • rdzoomrdzoom Member Posts: 1
    New poster here.... Stretched my Mich XTerrains out to 90k.... Replaced with Yokohama Geolander HTS.... excellent choice for me and look good at 130k on 2002Olds Bravada.... Keep air pressure at least 35psi for better mileage...
    Did the solution to your problems I posted in Post #18282 fix your problems?

C.B.
    I'm picking up the part tomorrow and shall let you know! I Was searching for a reasonalbe price and would you believe the best price was at the dealership? That is a rarity for sure. My Fiance is working tomorrow so I am going to try and tackle it myself......pull out the glove box and it will be behind it correct? I searched for a schematic online and could not find one. Thank you C.B., I appreciate your help!!
    Here is a link to some pictures and instructions. They are for a blower motor resistor for a vehicle with manual a/c but the blower motor control module for automatic a/c models is in a similar place and these instructions will serve also. Scroll to post #1. Good luck.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=32751&page=7

C.B.
    Still anxious to find out if all is okay now!

C.B.
  • glubashglubash Member Posts: 19
    Goodbye Envoy Forum!

Hello all, I'm happy to say that I've traded my 2003 Envoy XL V8 SLT in at 80,000 miles. Although I have always like the looks of the vehicle as well as the cabin layout, it has been the most troublesome vehicle that I have ever owned. I was hoping to get 10 years out of it, but that just wasn't in the cards.

Awhile back (9/29/7) I wrote up a 50,000 mile report:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.eea2017/18087

Since then the truck has been doing okay, but in the last year, I've had the following problems:

1. Getting hot while towing. On hot days pulling a boat, I started noticing the temperature gauge creeping up on me. Normally, it is rock solid at 210 F. I was a bit worried so I slowed down and turned the A/c off. When I got home, I checked for air flow obstructions, checked and changed the coolant. None of this helped and after that each time I would tow on a hot day (upper 80's or higher), the temp gauge would start creeping up into the 250 range. Generally by slowing down to about 55 and taking it easy up the hills I could keep it around 225 or so. Other than towing, no temperature issues.

2. Speedometer sticking. This started happening last summer. Particularly noticible during longer trips when speed is not varying much. The speedometer starts to stick and then creep up. Eventually, it will get pegged out when going highway speeds. I have some nice pictures of the gauge stuck on 60+ MPH with the vehicle in park. Over time, it does work its way back down (drops about 10 MPH each time it is started) and generally works okay for daily driving. If you are having this problem and want it fixed, there is an outfit in TN (http://www.autoecu.com/) that will do it for less than $100.

3. Engine Noise. This was the final straw. The engine started ticking (sounded like a valve noise) about a month ago. It was bad when the engine was started but after heating up would subside. I was hoping that it would only be a cracked exhaust manifold but when I took it in, I was told that the noise was coming from somewhere inside the engine and he recommended trading it in vs. tearing into the engine. As it was getting worse over time, I got a second opinion and received the same advice.

I would like to thank the contributers to this forum for all the advice and sharing of knowledge. You have helped me through a bad A/C pressure switch, failed blower module, poor auto wiper sensor setup, etc. etc. (unfortunately, more than I care to list here).

Good luck with your Envoys, I hope that mine was the exception, not the rule. Now, off to the Tundra forum!!

Glubash
    edited March 2010
    I'm needing new tires for my Envoy for year-round use in Texas. Michelin Cross Terrains lasted 80K, but are pretty expensive to replace ($176-205). Consumer Reports Nov. 2008 shows high marks for General Grabber HTS. On the General Tire website, and on some others like tirerack.com, they only show a Grabber HTS XL (extra load capacity) and don't show a standard load (non-XL) tire. Likewise many of the discount retail stores here have the XL tire "in stock", but can get the standard load tire in a few days. It looks to me like the standard load tire is being phased out, since General and tirerack.com no longer show it. Anyone know? And has anyone used the XL tires? My tire dealer can get either the XL or standard, but he has the XL in stock for $20 per tire cheaper ($120 versus $140). So they are pushing the XL, but I wonder why it is cheaper than standard load.. Anyone share any experience with General Grabber HTS on their SUV, and am I likely to be happy with XL even though I don't haul extra weight? (The Consumer Report in Nov. 2008 may have been on standard load, since I think the XL is newer than that.) Thanks in advance for info.
    I just put the General Grabber HTS on my 2002 SLT two weeks ago.
    I really like the ride right now, but then again my 4 X Terrains were getting pretty crappy with some uneven wear.

not sure if they are XL or not, i can look them up.

I went to a cooper dealer and he pushed the lower cost grabbers.
    Slipkid wrote: "not sure if they are XL or not, i can look them up."

That would be helpful if you can easily do so. It should be either on the sidewall or your paperwork, hopefully. If you have the Grabber HTS XL and like them, it would give me more confidence in getting some. thanks in advance!
  • tpward1500tpward1500 Member Posts: 1
    Have intermittent deflation of the automatic load-leveling rear suspension. Sometimes it will stay up for a day or so, other times, 20-30 minutes after the vehicle is shut off, it slowly "squats" to the bottom of the suspension.

Also, the car will fall to the low point of the suspension while driving. Sometimes it will re-inflate while driving, other times it will not inflate until the car is restarted on next use.

I have replaced both axle sensors and the inflation pump assembly. I have checked the accessory inflator Schrader valve inside, no leaks, problem still exists, what next?
    Sorry for the late response. I do have the XL's. $590 all in after taxes.

Great ride on them so far, and the puppy has puked less since I've changed tires.
    Hey C.B!!! It worked! Sorry that it has taken me so long to respond. The part came in from Auto Parts Direct and due to bad weather etc. Doug did not replace it til March. But the main thing is that you were right and it worked!! YEAH!!!! Thank you so very much for your help!!!
    You are a blessing!
    Jessica :)
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    I just started getting a low rpm vibration. In drive just off idle, around 800 rpm. Goes away by 1000 rpm. Not noticable at 650 rpm idle. Just noticable in park. Dash and exhaust resonate and steering wheel vibrates. Any ideas?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Gam2,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me more information about your situation? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Envoy at 82,000 miles. During routine oil change and inspection dealer says "rear shocks appear to be leaking a little; we wiped them off to be sure something hadn't splashed on them, and will check them again at next oil change." I asked if they did need to be replaced how much that would run, and he said about $475. He didn't mention the front shocks/struts at all, so I guess they're OK for now. Does that price sound right for replacing two rear shocks? If they do replace them next time, should I go with OEM or ask them to use something heavier duty? And should I not mention the front shocks/struts until they do? Thanks.
    $475 is high.

i had the same issue, had my independant guy do that, plus change the transmission fluids and do the transfer case along with some other 100k maintanence work and he charged me $500 total.

shop around, should be routine work.

never had anyone mention the fronts, so sounds like the rears go out "quickly"

no clue what kind went back on my truck