Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• c2h6oc2h6o Member Posts: 32
    Believe it or not, there is actually a warning stating that the driver shouldn't attempt to watch DVDs while driving the vehicle. Go to know that some people need that warning!

I recall the post about the FM modulator (sounds like something Marvin the Martian would use). I may do something of that sort eventually, but I really wish there were a built in set of external speakers - less mess! I haven't spent any time really trying to find a way to get the sound to an external source beyond the headphones. I'd prefer something as unobtrusive and simple as possible.

-Jason
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    I don't know about those wood trim dash kits. Being that they consist of stickers,
    it sounds like you could seriously screw up the installation.

If anyone out there does this, please let us know how it goes.
  • spdmtr5spdmtr5 Member Posts: 111
    Since I spent hours answering the question,"are we there yet?";I don't think it is at all fair that you can now show a DVD to keep those little critters happy.My kids need to go through the same agony their Mother and I did on long trips.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    My kids need to go through the same agony their Mother and I did on long trips.

That will not happen until they have children of their own! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Tidester: Truer words were never spoken!
  • cwhawkcwhawk Member Posts: 38
    1. Has anyone got a part number for the seat brackets?
    2. Has anyone had any adjustments done to improve gas mileage? My 97 Blazer had EPA ratings of 17/22 and my TB has EPA ratings of 16/22. In the same driving, my 97 Blazer got 19 mpg while my TB gets 15.2. WOW! I expected better as did most of the postings in this board.
    3. Keep us informed about the prototype "paint" gasket.
    4. Did anyone who had the transmission software update ask to have the old software re-installed? My shift points are up to 2500 RPM to overdrive (50 MPH).
    5. Has anyone noticed a vibration noise when driving just over the speed that overdrive shifts into?
  • spdmtr5spdmtr5 Member Posts: 111
    Grandparenting is wonderful-you just sit back and laugh.Our TB is great also.I've called the motor the new stovebolt but no one has picked up on it-I must be a real old chevy guy.
  • dketchamdketcham Member Posts: 13
    My experience on fuel economy in my TB is that performance is closely related to speed. I normally get 16-18 mpg on the highway driving 65-70 mph. Last week I filled the tank until the nozzle shut off, drove 55 miles at 62-63 mph on relatively flat terrain with no noticeable head wind, with no stops and then refilled the tank til the nozzle again shut off. I got exactly 20 mpg. The next opportunity that I have time to spare on a highway trip, I am going to drive 55 mph and see what it does. That engine is a great engine, but it does like fuel.
  • archdukerizzoarchdukerizzo Member Posts: 35
    Are the Bose and non-bose Stereo units functionally identical except for the speakers and amp? I'm asking because my dealer said if I didn't want the Bose 6-disc changer he would swap it out with a regular stock head unit buut leave the amp and speakers from the bose system in there. (I originally wanted the bose system without 6 disc changer... He claims the stock head unit is exactly the same as the bose head unit but without BOSE written on it). Can anyone shed some light on this? I believe I read somewhere that the bose unit had different features in it, but I can't remember where.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    My brother currently has a 96 Blazer (LS, 4wd, 4 door) that he's been OK with (not thrilled, not totally unhappy). He just smashed it up, it's got 89k miles, it'll be paid off in a year, so likely he'll replace it soon.

Basically, he wants something with as much room or more (but NOT as big as a Suburban or Expedition) and not outrageously expensive (<$30k, please). I haven't read much in this thread, so I'm wondering about reliability, what people paid, etc. He wants similar equipment (cloth, CD, maybe a sunroof) to his Blazer, doesn't need anything too fancy (no chrome wheels, leather, video systems, power passenger seats, etc). This car is a daily driver for a musisian who hauls amps and stuff around very regularly.

Also, how have prices been (MSRP vs. Invoice)? Would you recommend your TB or Envoy to a friend? Thanks folks!
  • lns1lns1 Member Posts: 6
    I am disappointed with the high speed handling of my 2002 Envoy and wonder if there may be something wrong. I find that the steering wanders at high speeds. It's almost as if the power assist is the same at 75 MPH as it is at 10 MPH. My husband says the car has no "road manners" and I am still not used to it after 10,000 miles of highway driving. I think the steering should be much stiffer at high speeds as it was in my Explorer.

Anyone else finding this problem or should I take it back to the dealer (I am in NJ and would prefer not to since they are clueless). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • osu98osu98 Member Posts: 6
    ghulet: It sounds like your brother and I were in the exact same situation. I bought my new Pewter TrailBlazer 2WD LS at the start of December (wish I would have known the $2002 offer was coming a month later and I would have waited!!). I got the group 3 option package, sunroof, and ONSTAR system. I paid $26250 for it here in Atlanta. I traded in my 96 LS 4WD Blazer for it at that time. I feel like a got a decent deal overall. I absolutly LOVE my new truck. No problems yet (knock on wood) and the ride is excellent. It looks good and the new engine is fast. I can't even compare it to my 96 Blazer because they are two totally different trucks in my eyes. The new TB has more room inside and feels much "beefier" than the older Blazer models.
    Good luck...
  • mgrcmmgrcm Member Posts: 53
    Yes I find my Envoy's steering to be vague also.When highway driving you will find it going from one side of the road to the other.If I look down at the stereo or not pay attention I find myself drifting off the road.

Another thing I've noticed now that I've had a few snow storms to drive in is when in AWD mode the rear wheels will spin quite a bit before power is transfered to the front wheels.And yes I've given it plenty of time to go into this mode.I've had the rear end spin out side ways several times now while in AWD.Never had that happen in my Grand Cherokee or Durango while in the AWD mode.Seems like GM has a very poor system IMO,the damage is done before the power is transfered to the front.I will use 4HI from now on to be on the safe side.I hope the Bravada's AWD system works better.
  • funitsfunits Member Posts: 55
    After 2 days of driving (coming from a 1999 VW Passat GLX), on a combination of highway, secondary and local tar and dirt roads:

As quiet and rides BETTER than Passat -- actually I am amazed! Wind noise has not been noticable.

Steering has been fine -- precise on highway and negotiating off/on ramps, I have not experienced any "wander" -- there again, I am amazed!

Brakes on salesman demo Envoy were "mushy", but my Envoy's brakes have been firm and easy/responsive to modulate.

Gas mileage -- I wish I had my VW gas mileage -- but I hope it will improve with age.

On hillside covered with ice and raining, in Auto4WD, Envoy didn't spin a wheel (I on the other hand, slide and fell down getting out!)

I am very pleased with the vehicle -- although the gadgetry is overwhelming (and I like gadgets!), but I am sure I will get used to it.

Question: Has anyone been able to find a RDS radio station -- especially in New England (New Hampshire!!!!).

Thanks
  • green07green07 Member Posts: 4
    Couple of weeks ago someone mentioned that he/she installed K & N Filter and is expecting to see better gas mileage. I would appreciate a follow up on the filter from anyone. Thanks.
  • tmc4lifewwftmc4lifewwf Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a TB LTZ (Indigo Blue). Love it except one thing. On 1/18/2002 I hit a deer. Need fender, hood, bumper, grill, pass door fixed, headlight. Not fun. But the parts came in in one week and I put in shop next Monday. Dealer told me about 5 days to repair. Other than the act of God the TB rides great and I get about 18 MPG. This board is terrific.
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    I'm just finishing up my 3rd tank since the filter was installed, so I'll post the numbers from my most recent trip next time --but the first round showed an improvement of almost, but not quite 2MPG. The second round was slightly higher. Prior to K&N filter, I was getting average of 16-17 MPG in town. After filter, (last time I checked), I'm closer to 18-19 MPG. But I tend to enjoy the acceleration factor a bit too much, so with a lighter right foot your figures may vary! I'll have to average the numbers out since I did a little more highway driving the last tankful.
    Ouch! Sorry to hear about the damages to your new TB.. but the important thing was you and your passengers walked away. I wonder what damages would have been with a brush guard?

http://www.manik.com/images/2002%20Chevy%20Trailblazer-PR.jpg

Does anyone know who's selling a BULL BAR for the TB and Envoy yet? The brush guard for the Envoy is just too ugly... at least the TB's grill bars are straight and not "pinched"...
    >"I recall the post about the FM modulator (sounds like something Marvin the Martian would use).

LOL! you're right... Marvin's toy was an "Alludium Q36 explosive space modulator". :)
  • axsysmanaxsysman Member Posts: 26
    As far as improving mileage, I haven't noticed anything worth mentioning. I average 18.7 mpg on mostly highway, averaging 70 mph. I tested a tank where I kept speed at 60 and was VERY light footed around town, managed to get 20.1 mpg. I bought the K&N filter because I average 25000 miles a year and replacing the filter every 12000 miles seemed a little much.

I currently have 23000 miles on my Envoy SLT 4x4. No major problems yet, just the recalls.
  • hmaximohmaximo Member Posts: 22
    This must be a record for breakdown speed.Had 609 miles on when I put it in reverse this morning to leave for work and the transfer case grenaded on me no overreving or strange act on my part,it warmed up for 10+ minutes and I put my foot on brake and shifted.I did not even drive it on the freeway yet.Well we are expexting 10" of snow tomorrow so my loaner Impala will be put to the test.So far the drivers side seatbelt and door opening w/s have been replaced twice.And one last item every Envoy I looked at at 2 dealers had the crossbars for the luggage rack on backwards.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    The TrailBlazer is a very impressive vehicle. Much better-built than the old Blazer.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    My brother's 96 Blazer has been fairly reliable, but it does have its problems. It sounds like an old bed when going down the street (loud squeaking and rattling), its engine knocks fairly badly til warmed up, the interior plastics are awful (they're so hard they crack and/or shatter on impact) and the stereo sounds like Fisher-Price made it.

I was hoping the new TB and Envoy were better, it doesn't sound like it. He may have to look elsewhere for a replacement for the Blazer.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    For whoever it was who wanted to see a Sage Green and Oak Envoy, here's a pic of one.

http://www.starcars.com/GMC/2G299.html

Also, I think you can no longer (or at least for a time) order Sage Green as it is listed as "Built Out". For the latest, check this page.

http://www.arifleet.com/production.html

• tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    not trying to bum you out, but you won't see any noticable difference in mpg with K&N. great start for performace gains but perhaps in theory mpgs. I've used them on my personal cars, racing toys and what not.

again, add mods on top of mods and K&N will become more of a key to success, but with mpgs....right foot and traffic controls that.

Just my opinion.

tim
    The March issue of Motor Trend has a new concept
    vehicle, a 400HP twin turbo Trailblazer.
    Pretty cool, although with that much power,
    I think I'd rather be in a car.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I think a lot of what you are reading are typical 1st year bugs, nothing serious. When a company builds an all new car/ truck there are always bugs. Even Hondas and Toyotas have them. I think most people here are generally happy.
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Count me as a happy owner! :-)
  • sunpiratesunpirate Member Posts: 5
    I'll second that malibu99,I have owned my TB since July 16th
    Happy Envoy owner since 7/19/01. No major problems, just a couple of minor annoyances.
    We love it.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Ok, here is the deal with the "head units" of the different stereos. There are, essentially, two different "head units" for these vehicles. One has the cassette and single CD slot, one has no cassette and the 6 disk changer. Both of these are available with or without the Bose option. Of course, with the Bose option, the "Bose" nameplate is on the front.

So your dealer is correct, you will have the same features as long as you stick with two basic unit types (Disk Changer vs Single Disk).
    So you're saying, the Circuitry or "guts" in the CD/Cassette unit it *identical* in the Bose/NonBose Head units?
    I'm asking because the bravada I'm buying has the bose 6 disc changer and I want them to swap it out with a Bose single cd/cassette head unit.
    I thought I read somewhere that the Bose units have additional EQ settings and effects that the nonbose units don't have. The Salesman said that the "looked" identical to him, but he didn't check any further, and the bose website says their car stereos have special electronics in the head units. I guess I'll have to make them call delco tonight (I'm supposed to take delivery tonight) or have them order me the other bose head unit. See, I found out directly from Bose and Delco that the AUX port on the 6 disc changer can't be used as an input. I want to use my riovolt and rather than muck around with multiple cd's I want the cassette player.
  • ducati11ducati11 Member Posts: 13
    Since April of 2001, no real problems, wondering mirrors, soon to be fixed. According to our dealer GM has posted a TSB for this. Still love it.
  • muzicmanmuzicman Member Posts: 7
    I have driven many types of vehicles over the years. My new 2002Trailbalzer LT now has 18k miles and I have never been happier. I do not have the "paint" problem, or the "wandering mirrors". What I do have is a vehicle that will get me where I want to go reliably, and in comfort. This thing is so powerful, and quiet, and smooth. I drove a new Ford Explorer on a test drive and it did not compare to the TB. The Exporer was not as smooth or powerful and frankly sounded like a "Tin Can" when I shut the doors. The Trailblazer is solid and you can hear that when shut the door. The sound system ROCKS and the enjoyment of driving it is incredible!! I've had 2 other Chevy Blazers, an 86 that was a piece of junk and a 96 that I really liked....which is why I even considered the new 2002 TB. I get alot of compliments on the color (Majestic Red) and everyone that has ridden in it is envious. I give the new 2002 TB two thumbs up!!
  • axsysmanaxsysman Member Posts: 26
    The owners manual describes a Midrange tone adjustment for the Bose units. Also, the output of the Bose unit is a low-level signal for the amplifier whereas the non-Bose is speaker level since it drives the speakers. If you put the non-Bose in it may not work correctly with the amplifier. BUT - the radio configuration may be software controlled, thus the outputs may somehow be controlled by the units software detecting an amplifier is connected, and the additional feature may also be enabled when the amp is detected. Just an educated guess though on my part, but it would make sense since all the "Real" Bose parts are is the speakers I believe and the additional amp to drive them may not be a Bose amp.
  • kozak1kozak1 Member Posts: 12
    Just wanted to chip in here that overall I'm happy with my TB, but I also have the "wandering mirrors".

I spoke with GM customer assistance today and although they were very nice, that they don't know of any problems with the mirrors. I also filled out a Safety defect form with the NHTSA. If enough people fill out this form they will investigate and maybe get GM to admit there is a problem. Here is the link: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/oscripts/IVOQ/VOQ/voq1.cfm

Has anyone else had a problem with the passenger safety belt locking and not releasing until buckle is released?
  • boat10boat10 Member Posts: 59
    I (wife) have also had the passenger safety selt problem. Took to dealer and they replaced the belt, but, every now and then I have the same problem again. I still have the problem of the cruise control turning off on its own. Dealer says General Motors has no "FIX", I rather think the dealers' service people know whats going own.
  • dallasenvoydallasenvoy Member Posts: 8
    I also have the wandering mirror problem. Took my Envoy to the dealer today to have them order the special order actuators to fix this as has been previously mentioned. They had never heard of the problem but did have some parts already on order for another customer- none in stock of course. To minimize my car's time at the dealer I was hoping to convince them to go ahead and order these ahead of time. They tried to look up the problem on the computer but couldn't find a bulletin on it. They think that the problem is in the heated seat control module that controls the rear view mirror settings. Does this sound logical to anyone? They're going to do some research and get back to me.
  • envoyelroyenvoyelroy Member Posts: 11
    With all due sympathy to all of you that have had problems, I,ve had my Envoy since May, 10000 miles and no problems. What a great SUV!
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Have any of you seen the custom black Envoy on Ebay? Check it out!

"Brand new, never titled 2002 black Envoy. Borla exhaust system, 20" Raceline chromed alloy wheels with BFG tires, StreetSceene grill, Bell Tech lowering. Built by ProMotorsports in Springfield, MO. Thousands less than sticker even after GM promotions."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=600871136&r=0&t=0

I think it's absolutely hideous.
    It should be illegal to put wheels like that
    on an SUV.
    An of course, it just has to have all those stickers on the back window.
    Well I did it. Last night I bought my 2002 Bravada AWD. Black and fully loaded with every option but the engine block heater and DVD (I got the sunroof). Everything is wonderful!..... EXCEPT I have the mysterious recirculation button problem. Every 10 minutes the damn thing automatically shuts off. I didn't notice untill I was half way home (the dealer is 60 miles away and in another state, plus it was late and the dealer had already closed). I'm going to call the local Olds dealer and find out if this is normal, or if they can take a look at it (any comments from people regarding this would be wonderful!). Other than that, the car is great. I do need to set up the customizations for the alarm alerts, outside light and inside lighting preferences. All in all I'm pleased and glad I don't have to worry about a thing on the car for 5 years/60,000 miles.
  • bobmnbobmn Member Posts: 28
    I too have the problem with the front passenger seat belt locking up all the time. Its on my list
    with a mirror problem and a fan problem to have the dealer look at. I'll say too, overall I'm happy with my TB, I enjoy driving it even though I've had a couple big problem in the past. One of the ignition modules failed causing a miss in the engine and I had a ticking noise in which it required taking the engine apart and replacing the camshaft actuator. I wish the gas mileage was a little better. It was built in Aug 01 and I have 21xx miles on it.
    Has anyone else noticed that some of the interior moulding is colored different than in the brochure? On my bravada, the piece of moulding that's around the window/door lock controls is pewter. In the brochure it's black (like the inside door handles).
    It's no big deal, and I am just being curious.

On a seperate note, does anyone have any pics of what the vinyl floor mats look like, or how the compare to the stock carpet ones?
  • tcd2tcd2 Member Posts: 16
    What is the consensus on changing the oil at the 3 to 5000 mile mark or going with the owner's manual recommendation of 12,000 miles for the 1st oil change? My new trailblazer is over the 3k mark now. Of course the local dealer wants me to bring it right in at 3K but is it a ploy to get money? If I go to the dealer I bought from its free. But still the dealer and owner's manual don't jive for the 1st one. ???
    For what it is worth, I think you are crazy to go 12000 miles between oil changes. Yes, the crankcase is larger, so it should be able to go longer, but I am not willing to risk my $38,000 vehicle that I plan to keep for a long time. I change oil every 3000 miles, period. I do not use synthetic oil. If I did, I would probably change every 6000 to 7500. I did leave my oil life moniter untouched and now have 8500 miles on my Envoy. The moniter still shows 14% oil life left. I have changed oil twice and will do so again at 9000 miles. I look at it as cheap insurance. I have done this since I started buying cars in 1976 and have never had a problem.
  • tcd2tcd2 Member Posts: 16
    If something were to go wrong because the oil was changed sooner (I don't see how but) and wasn't done according to the manual then I'm afraid maybe the problem wouldn't get covered by the warranty see. This way if something unforseen happens I would think it would be covered. Just trying to rationalize why the manual says 12000 for the first oil change.
  • dyatesdyates Member Posts: 13
    I will change my oil the first time no later than 3K miles. On my BMW motorcycle they recommended 600 miles in the manual. This is because on the initial break-in you could potentially have more metal shavings than normal. After that, I will use the oil life monitor or every three months, whichever comes first.

The owners manual explains why the recirculate button automatically goes off. This is a beneficial feature. I believe it is supposed to improve defrost. I don't like using it more than I need to, because I want fresh air coming in, helping me keep awake on long trips.
  • ducati11ducati11 Member Posts: 13
    Just a quick question, as my wife has her Bravada and I can't get to the manual. Do the triplets have a "low tire" warning signal in the DIC program? A few weeks ago, she picked up 3 flat tires, all from nails, and she never noticed warning from the DIC. My aurura has this and it is great. Thank you
    The recirc light shouldn't go off automatically after 10 minutes.
    If you're using the defroster it wont let you use recirc at all.
    I called the dealer and they said it shouldn't automatically go off and for me to bring it in.