Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• vtripicchiovtripicchio Posts: 11
    Can someone clarify the link between wind noise and these "baffles".. I purchased an Envoy in Dec. 01 and do experience "excessive wind noise"...An earlier post mentioned something about baffles near the wheel-wells...how do i check to see if my vehicle has these?....If not, do they help?
  • missouri2missouri2 Posts: 41
    you are right, i did what you did and the fan noise was gone, i believe it is like turning off your coumpter and turning it back on it has to learn what is there. give it a little time.gas milage 18 in town 22 on the road at 70 mph.
  • cmack4cmack4 Posts: 302
    I believe I was the one who first mentioned the baffles, and yes re-affixing them (epoxied) did have a significant impact on sound for me. After the roof rack fixes (gap between front rail and crossbar positioning), I still had a howling sound... Now, my bravada is literally one of the quietest vehicles I've ever ridden in!
  • pepper50pepper50 Posts: 195
    Storm:

Gmpartsdirect.com hasn't updated their database by year, but they do have the new part numbers entered. So if you know the part numbers, the items do show up on their website, invoice, etc. To get the part numbers you can look at the GM Envoy accessories website at:

GMC Envoy Accessories Then enter the part numbers on the gmpartsdirect website.

Good luck!
  • iexplore2000iexplore2000 Posts: 237
    Well.. I am not quite sure that I understand the riddle (ha, ha), but after I saw the PRICE TAG of the X5.. I will definitely stay AWAY from it.. I can't afford to get STUCK that much.. maybe just a little, but for that price, I consider that vehicle VERY unapproachable..

At this rate, I could get used to just having the one vehicle (2002 Pontiac Grand AM GT1) and getting rid of my Envoy! I think for the most part, the only thing major that I haul is groceries! Ha, ha..

IExplore2000@aol.com
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,540
    Please take the "off-color" jokes to email - we have members with kids reading over their shoulders here. Thanks.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Get yourself a 2002 Trooper it will last you 200K+ w/o repairs. At least give it a look if you want a tough SUV.

25.5K for a loaded w/o leather one.

-mike
  • vindog45vindog45 Posts: 35
    Vtripicchio...to locate them....open drivers or passenger front door all the way....reach in between hinges (way in) and you can feel large vertical rubber "baffles" just hanging there, (well at least mine are)...looks as tho glue dried up around edges and became loose....Cmack..are these the same ones you talking about?
  • allenrallenr Posts: 83
    I just got back from a 500 + mile trip with my Bravada. Do to the fact one person in our convoy wanted to drive the speed limit (65mph), we did the whole trip that way. My Bravada got 21.3 mpg (corrected) for the trip. The DIC showed 22.0 mpg, a little optimistic :) The a/c was off for the whole trip and I have the 3.73 rear end. That's the best I've done so far, although it was hard to go 65 on the L.A. freeways. I usually get around 15 or 16 around town. So I looks like you can do if you drive easy.

Allen

Btw I have 16,300 miles on my truck
  • iexplore2000iexplore2000 Posts: 237
    Well heck.. I guess I completely missed that one? I guess I cannot ask for someone to state the riddle hence this may cause more trouble.. but all in all.. I DIDN'T GET IT.. Ha, ha..

IExplore2000@aol.com
  • tlaurotlauro Posts: 504
    Well, I'm back from Vacation and thought I'd share with you all one of the most fun parts....running a baha racer in the desert of Cabo San Lucas

http://www.timlauro.com/cabo-2002/1-cabo-main-page.html

Paisan, I'm sure you'd love this stuff! Wish I could try my trailblazer out there.

These are the only digital pics. Scans are yet to come.

tim
  • rj123456rj123456 Posts: 128
    I've been reading this board for a while and the advice here is fantastic. I've located an Envoy XL in a nearby state (Washington; I'm in CA) but as configured it does not have California emissions.

I believe that the vehicle as built does meet CA standards and all that the CA emissions involves is a sticker (and possibly GM paying the State of CA some fees for testing etc).

I called up GM Buypower and they said that the Dealer Business Center should be able to help the dealer on how to purchase the appropriate "upgrade" (I think the code is YM6).

The dealer claims that he has been unable to get accurate information from his DBC on how to do this. Is the dealer BS'ing me or is it a difficult process?

Any one out there have any experience with this?
    I read this board, but if you want to take it offline, please email me directly at anavision@usa.net.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
  • brooks13brooks13 Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the 2003 Envoy XL will have the option of 2nd row captains chairs?
  • jreiglejreigle Posts: 2
    With the heater control set to floor or dash position, I'm also getting air blowing from the defroster vent. Is this normal? My Bravada goes into the shop on Friday to have the new heat duct installed on the drivers side, and I'll have them check the air flow if this isn't normal. Could this be part of the reason I'm not getting much heat to the drivers floor position? Thanks.
  • tlaurotlauro Posts: 504
    jreigle

could be the sensors in the HVAC, but my guess is that your system needs the latest reprograming and update as mine did back in Jan.

I got nothing but cool to cold air when auto temp set to anything below 87.

now I just hope the AC works okay!

tim
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Can't wait to see the pics! :) Ce sure to check out the offroading from last weekend I did http://isuzu-suvs.com/events lots and lots of water. We had a pathfinder join us this time and an old K5 Blazer. The pathy did well except for one spot where it got dunked, I always love having different trucks join us to see how they all fare. Hopefully I'll get some of the TB/Envoy/Bravada guys out there sometime.

-mike

• edsenvoyedsenvoy Posts: 1
    I have red Envoy SLT,3.73 rear, 4000 miles so far, had all the recalls done, and get 20.7 MPG average, according to the DIC.

Thanks to Tim Lauro doing his homework and superb website, I was able to download most the TSB's before getting locked out. Got the tailgate gasket installed and the mirrors replaced(should have the seen the service manager's mouth gape open when I provided the part number and TSB number for the gasket.)
    Once he knew I was armed with the info, he went ahead and upgraded the computer with the latest software and was much more accommodating with my requests. I now have a good relationship with the dealership. The Envoy now feels more responsive and smoother. Cold start acceleration and noisy fan was never a problem. If anything, the I6 feels like it has a tad more snort when it is cold.I can't wait for cold air induction and maybe a less restrictive exhaust.

As a side note, I recently came through a toll booth the same time as a Navigator, and he wanted the same lane I wanted....I got the lane.

Ed
    Yep, those are the same ones I'm referring to... they are easy to access if you lay down underneath the vehicle, you can reach in from behind the quarterpanel!
    I have a 08/2001 build date Bravada and have been getting 15.3 mpg of mostly city driving (New Jersey stop and go). Highway I get about 20mpg. I haven't had any reprogramming done, but I've been tempted just to see if it would effect my mileage. Personally, I don't think the mileage is that bad... and since I haven't had any mechanical problems, why jinx it?
  • tpellowtpellow Posts: 21
    I'm in about the same position, I have a TB LTZ built 09/2001 and am getting 15.5 mpg for city driving (last tank had avg speed 27.9 mph). I also have not done the reprogramming but am curious if there is an oppurtunity squeeze more but don't want to open Pandora's Box.

I'm supposed to go in next week for the rear gasket upgrade and a new hatch seal and will pick the brain of the Tech who works on my TB. He know's his stuff and is a straight shooter.

Tim
    '02 TB LTZ
  • vplazavplaza Posts: 47
    The Envoy was dead on Saturday in the garage. No power, no nothing. I tried to jump start it with my other car with no luck. I could get the Envoy some juice to turn on the dash displays and radio, but couldn't start it. I had to have AAA come to the house and have them jump it with a portable jumper.

Left the vehicle running for quite a while and used it for a little on Saturday. Satuday night, turned off all the lights in the garage and got in to see if anything was left on. Nothing. Then tried to start it on Sunday and it started. On Monday, checked to see if there was still power and there was.

Then, Tuesday morning, the wife needs to go somewhere with the kids, tries to start the car (there was power to the dash, unlike Saturday), but the car won't crank up and start. AAA to the rescue again.

So, we dropped off the Envoy at the dealer yesterday, they kept it overnight to see if it would drain again, and now I'm without a car since she needs my vehicle today.

Needless to say, she is frustrated to the point that she is seriously considering trading the vehicle in or selling it. The car has 15,000 miles in a year of ownership and it's been to the dealer for repair at least six times. I can't say I blame her for being frustrated, but we did decide to buy a first year model, so we should have known these problems were possibilities.

Anyone else out there have their Envoy just die on them in their garage with no apparent reason for the battery to drain?
  • gmdronegmdrone Posts: 78
    I seem to recall that this is an intermittent problem, and from my years in assembly, I wouldn't be surprised if you managed to get a battery with the side terminals that the threads are stripped on. It will appear tight when given a cursory look, but if you tug on the positive, (sometimes negative!) lead, the bolthead will allow the wire to move around which of course means you've got a loose connection. Another indicator would be that you try to tighten the attaching bolt into the battery, but it never seems to tighten down. I wouldn't say that this a common problem, but I have seen a few of them in my years. My 2001 Camaro had a similar problem, the nut from the positive feed to the STARTER was missing, how that happened, I can only speculate. I hope that this helps you out, of course by the time you read this, your dealer will already have checked it out for you. I can understand your feeling. Nothing worse than a new truck, that doesn't start. I'd bet you're looking at a loose cable or something like that.

My .02 cents worth

Regards

Mark
  • vplazavplaza Posts: 47
    You know, since the vehicle is still fairly new, I didn't want to mess with the battery post. But I know what you are referring to. My 96 Impala SS had an AC Delco battery that suffered from the same problem, but it took a couple of years for it to be apparent. I simply replaced the battery with an Optima and no problems since. A lot of other Impala SS owners had the problem. I guess if the dealer comes back saying that they can't figure it out, I'll press them to check the battery terminals.

BTW, I stopped visiting this forum for a while after GM finally told me that they were going to get a "prototype" gasket to fix the tailgate paint problem. (After a two month wait instead of the 10 days I was promised, they finally got and installed the part.) It's refreshing to see that someone from GM has decided to join in and try to lend a helping hand.

Thanks!
    Vince
  • ccermakccermak Posts: 260
    Nobody is replying to the aforementioned post on binding. Any ideas besides this transfer case fluid change? How many people are having this problem? Lady sitting next to me at work is having this issue BIG TIME. Just made appt at different dealer as the last one was worthless and unorganized. Yes I'm flaming KLINE Olds in White Bear Lake, MN. Hope they're reading!!!!
  • bdschmidtbdschmidt Posts: 3
    Hey, I looked for the baffles and sure enough there they were. Neither the driver side or the passenger side were sealed to the body in any way, just some clips holding them on. The passenger side definitely was not where it was supposed to be and out of place. There was even some mud on it from the wheel well. My envoy is pretty new, build date 01/02, so it didn't take long for at least one of them to get dislodged.

Brian
  • adunkeradunker Posts: 32
    Captains chairs will not be an option on the Envoy XL. The second row is a 60/40 split bench seat.
  • quality1quality1 Posts: 1
    I have a TB-LTZ With 3.73 rear end. Build date 01/02 1700 miles. Just found this board Woo what a great site. Had the missing gasket,wandering mirrors,loose baffles on front doors,luggage rack wind noise. Have had some fixes done and working on others (thanks to this board). I thought that gas mileage 12-13 city was was low. Also D.I.C. is average is off .7 But after reading #5537 there is hope. rjsnyder could you tell me what notice #s they did to yours TB. This is a great vehicle and once all the fixes are done it will be great. Thanks to all
  • gam2gam2 Posts: 306
    Well, after 16 days I finally got my Bravada back! GM shipped the part last Thursday regular UPS. Gee, the could have shipped overnight. For those with binding problems, they replaced the encoder motor (p/n 88935687). It did not bind on the way home, but I will definately need more time to tell for sure. This is the first posting I've seen where they actually replaced a part.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

They also installed the infamous tailgate gasket
    (it SHOULD have been there from day 1), update some computer codes, and replaced the accesory drive belt (squeeked).

Unfortunately they didn't have the parts for the fuel line recall so it will be going in again soon. That will give me some time to see if anything else goes wrong.

All and all, a very disappointing start to my new vehicle experience. The dealer was not at fault though. GM could learn something about expediting parts for undrivable vehicles.

As far as the BMW post: be careful what you wish for. The BMW SUV has has 7 or 8 recalls in it's short life!

GAM2
  • jmw4jmw4 Posts: 67
    The TB update was in the recent issue of Autoweek. As mentioned, it was less than favorable due to many of the same reliability issues many of us have experienced.
  • Well, just ten days into ownership of a new TB EXT, build date 03/02; and my wife turns the key and hears a "roar" from the engine, the kids are yelling that the car is "going to blow up", I get a call at work and all I can think about is why was I so stupid to buy GM again? The service rep at the dealer says she never heard of "any Fan Noise" issue. Thankfully, I remembered Tim's TSBs and will bring them with me as soon as I can take it in....Regards/Regrets, Rob