Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• jwinkyjwinky Posts: 59
    Iexplore2000,

I am with you on the getting the larger tank if a retrofit would work. The only thing I can think of as a potential issue is range on the DIC. My guess is the computer has the fuel tank capacity stored as a constant to determine range. Granted, this would be very easy to update with a flash of the computer, but would a service department be willing to do this?

I wish I didn't have to fill-up as often with my Envoy as I did with my old Civic. It is a little frustrating.

As far as Xenons/HIDs, I also have wondered why they only made an appearance for a short time on the old style Envoy. If I had to guess, it is that the Escalade/Denali owners may have felt slighted. I have thought about, and friends of mine have suggested, seeking a salvage Envoy to see if the Xenon system could be retrofitted. If I am not mistaken, the shapes of the relectors are very similar between the old and new body style. If you did this, you would have to constantly disable the DRL's, though.

I will let you know if I get past the talking stage with this.

JAW
  • delrickdelrick Posts: 105
    They went to a 25.5 in the XL.
  • guy21guy21 Posts: 129
    I ran into a GM mechanic over the weekend who said his dealership (Chicago area) is starting to see Trailblazers with loose cylinder sleeves. He said this is a cast iron engine but also has sleeved cylinders. Does anyone know if this is how this engine is constructed? If it is, this would tie in with what I am hearing of GM going away from the I-6 to a small V-8 in these vehicles.
  • tblazedtblazed Posts: 945
    Cast aluminum block with cast iron sleeves.
    Check out the GM link below for details.

http://media.gm.com/division/powertrain/news/4200_Overview.pdf
  • scottc454scottc454 Posts: 356
    GM isn't going away from the I-6. The V-8 will be available on the extended versions of the triplets and on the upcoming Buick Rainier.
    The Rainier is getting an aluminum block V-8, so it would be sleeved as well.
  • ficussficuss Posts: 541
    guy21: get a new mechanic, Stevie Wonder would be able to tell the difference between aluminum and cast iron. The sleeve problem showed up last year with a few engines, mine being one of them. It has been resolved. There have been very few posts of engine failures due to sleeve shifting.
  • guy21guy21 Posts: 129
    Anyway, the point would be the loose sleeves and not the block material. May I ask what was done to repair your engine? How do you know it was only a problem on a "few"? This is a relatively new engine. And how did GM assure you it wouldn't become a problem again in the future? Thanks.
  • gam2gam2 Posts: 306
    Anyone else have a loose rearview mirror? Mine vibrates at idle and over ANY kind of bump. It's really annoying. I can't believe all the problems I have with this thing.

GAM
  • jmltribjmltrib Posts: 20
    Ok everybody...I would appreciate any advice I can get here. I have a Honda Pilot on order which should be in around the first of September. I made the mistake of going and looking at an Envoy XL which I really like because it has many comforts the Pilot is lacking (and has more style as well). I am torn between the reliability which I know that Honda has and going back to an American car. (Currently have a Mazda Tribute (ok...it's really a Ford) which has been to the dealer so many times, I have lost count...so don't want to get bitten again!!). I know it's something in the end I have to decide, but any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
  • 2002slt2002slt Posts: 228
    I had a problem a few weeks back, where my windshield washers stopped working. I'd turn the stalk switch, but only the wipers would engage - one swipe. I found a way to correct it, I'm sure only temporarily, by tilting the steering wheel up and down a few times. It worked fine except for one little thing. I went to the car wash and every time the windshield got wet, the wipers came on. This is strange, because I don't have the "Rain Sensing" wipers option. It hasn't rained in Chicago for a while, and I haven't washed the car since, so I don't know if it was just a fluke.
    Does anyone know how to access the steering wheel wire harness, without removing the wheel? I'll try anything just to keep it out of the dealer's hands!

Thanks!
  • missouri2missouri2 Posts: 41
    if you made a order you need to stand by it. there is not a perfect car or truck but i am happy with what i have. there has been a few small problems, they have been corrected. guess what i have a build date of 06/01 and i am getting ready to take a 6000 mile road trip. the miles on the bravada as of now is 5000 miles. the day i bought my 1998 corvette pace car it had a few problems but it took a road trip of 10,000 miles. why worry you have warranty. the vette did good. if your lights in your house blink, do you ran away because it is not perfect
  • envoy_xlenvoy_xl Posts: 6
    I'd disagree with Missouri2, unless getting out of your order is illegal/extremely difficult.

The Honda Pilot is going to be a good SUV, no doubt. The Envoy XL is a good SUV with rare, mostly annoying glitches that have largely been resolved. Both SUVs are quite similar when you glance at their specs. For me, the Envoy has a larger engine, can tow more, and IMHO looks better. The fact that it was a (fully) Americian SUV also made me feel good, especially after 9/11.

You've got to find your own reasons for buying a car (it's your cash) - but if you can get out of your order (which I suspect you can), I'd suggest leaving your options open.
  • I had the loose and vibrating rearview. You can easily tighten it with a torx head. Theres a hole on the bottom of the base..
  • missouri2missouri2 Posts: 41
    i must be too old. a persons word and hand shake should mean something. if not we are in a place where you can not trust our self or no one else.
  • tlaurotlauro Posts: 504
    missouri2 Wrote:
    "if you made a order you need to stand by it."

I'm sorry, but you don't have to stand by the order. My wife's the lawyer, but you may have signed a buyers order costing you any good faith money you put down, but there wasn't a VIN# generated thus no firm contract or deal so you're fine. Chances are you will be able to get your money down back too.

missouri2 Wrote:
    "i must be too old. a persons word and hand shake should mean something."

perhaps you're just too kind. believe me...it's strictly business and coming from someone who has many years in the car business....there's no need to put good faith in such a handshake. pure fact, the dealer could care less about your integrity. I was one and must say, it's honestly...all about the deal. To cover those that disagree...I'll revise my statement to 99% of the dealers out there.

tim
    former dealer in the 99 percentile
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    I wouldn't hesitate to back out of an order if I wasn't sure about the car. But I'm only 49 - what do I know :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • tbcreativetbcreative Posts: 357
    Check this out to see when the 2003s are due to arrive at dealerships:

http://www.crcarpriceservice.org/upcoming.asp
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Posts: 620
    Sorry man, but speaking from experience, Why would you buy a Honda when Acura gives you better service overall? The Acura MDX base is about 34k msrp and the comprable Pilot runs about 31k. Acura will hold resell better, the service department rocks at Acura, and w/ Acura, its a 48/50k warranty. But all that aside, I drove the Acura MDX and the Trailblazer and the Explorer... The Trailblazer impressed the hell out of me for all the options on the "base" model. I have the 4x4 LS w/ option package 3 and I paid 27k on 9/10/01. If its the third row seats you are planning on using, dont get the Acura, go with the XL. I believe it was dateline that did a study on 3rd row seats and found that in the ballpark of 70% of rear end collisions involving a third row seat in SUV's there were serious injuries... The majority of them out there, Explorers, etc have the 3rd row about 5" away from the rear glass... thus causing more injuries in the event of a rear end collision. GM was smart about this. =) IMO, go with the GM, all the service people treat you good, and all have given me more information.
  • mfullmermfullmer Posts: 819
    Ok, I've tried to look past TLAURO's improper use of the English language ("Could care less" and "Couldn't care less" mean the opposite and "Could care less" really doesn't mean much at all) but I'm worried now that people are posting who don't even read things first.

Tbcreative - That Consumer Reports link is a listing of dates when the manufacturer will be releasing final information on the 2003 models (Final pricing, Options/pricing, etc.) and CR will be able to issue their reports. That in no way relates to the dates that the actual vehicles will be arriving in dealerships. It doesn't even say anything like that on the page. Usually (Ok, I know someone will try to pin me down on a date so I'll be purposely vague) U.S. manufacturers begin production of the next years models around the end of August (Earlier for some, later for others) and the vehicles begin arriving in dealerships a few weeks later.

Mis-information is worse than no information at all.
  • kenitzerkenitzer Posts: 19
    We just purchased a new TB EXT and are very pleased so far. My wife has a 99 Honda CRV EX and absolutely loves it, so needless to say we looked very closely at Honda (both the Pilot and the Odessey) and the MDX. If I were just looking at the Honda products, the MDX is the best value for the money. Load up a Pilot with every thing the MDX has and you come close the to cost of the MDX. Also the MDX offers a sunroof, the Acura name and is a much more stylish vehicle. I see the Pilot as a CRV on steroids.

Unfortunately for us, the Honda products weren't quite right. We replaced a 92 Ford E150 Conversion Van so we were looking for space, towing capacity and comfort. The Pilot and MDX rear seat is nice the way it folds into the floor, but is virtually useless as a seat. There was no way either of our children could have sat back there for any trip other than in town. The TB was also all set for towing with a greater potential towing capacity, which fit our need. While the fuel economy is less, I am willing to trade off a few mpg's for comfort and convenience. Really it all comes down to what vehicle fits your needs best.