Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• kenitzerkenitzer Member Posts: 19
    Anyone out there with windshield wiper problems. My TB EXT has about 1800 miles and is in the shop for the first time, overnight I might add, because my windshield wipers aren't working now. Also, when I went to check the windshield wiper fuse, I noticed my "underhood" light wasn't working. All of this was noticed after I washed the truck over the weekend. The service technician worked on it all day today with no luck. They are going to try installing a new wiper motor in the morning with the hopes that clears the problem. All other electrics and electronics seem to be working fine, and the wipers are the regular version, not the rain sensing type.

As some may recall from previous posts, I have an Audiovox Roof Mount Fold Down TV which was installed by Circuit City a few weeks ago. Everything worked fine after the install. The Chevy garage is trying to say that the installation of the TV and the RF switch may have caused my problem, which could result in this service visit and repair not being covered by the factory warrenty. Apparently, the computer log had three electrical error codes at the same mileage and date, but none since then. The service writer didn't know the mileage or date off the top of his head. I suspect those codes were generated when Circuit City did the installation, but since everything worked fine after that and no other error codes were generated, I suspect the Circuit City work didn't cause the problems.

The electrical circuits and electronics in these vehicles are amazingly complicated. I have installed several electical/electronic components and done several mechanical repairs on many different vehicles over the years, but about the only thing I'll likely be doing with this TrailBlazer is simple oil changes. I think I'll leave just about everything else to the professionals. If anyone has any insight into this I would be interested. I should know more tomorrow and will report my results.
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    Well, after having the slight rear-end collision I've decided to invest in a rear-bumper guard and a new style guard for the Trailblazer front end too...in case I happen to not stop fast enough :)

Pics of the Trailblazer coming soon, but here's a link for Envoy Owners but keep in mind the TB's products are pretty much the same.

Enjoy!

http://www.timlauro.com/cars/trailblazer/waag-installation.htm
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Are you gonna buy a pre-made rear end protector? Check out the one I had custom made for my trooper at http://isuzu-suvs.com/images/rearbar.html and the 2nd gen one at http://isuzu-suvs.com/trooper/hitchbar/index.html The shop is http://independent4x.com ask for matt. He can custom make something for yah and they are 1/4" thick steel not some flimsy stuff a lot of places sell.

-mike

• lockcityssrlockcityssr Member Posts: 21
    Can someone confirm that the Envoy has 6 1/2" speakers in the doors. I had Infinity Reference speakers in my last SUV and they improved the sound 1,000%. I'm transfering my 10" sub next week...the combo was fantastic in my last ride.
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    i seen on dateline nbc the the institute of highway safety said the trailblazer did bad as far as protecting the knees of the driver. plus they gave it a marginal rating i really like it but i am concerned about the safety. i have to test drive the envoy it did very good in the test. also i have to test drive the 4 runner so what do anyone think help???????????
    IMO, the Trailblazer and Envoy would be about equal. They are built on the same line/platform and outside some minor cosmetic and creature/features, I don't see how one would test better than the other. Niether one is unsafe in my book, but I can't say they are perfect.

I'm big on safety too and am confident enough to put my family in the LTZ.

Let us all know your findings and decision. Information it great and we all love some input.

tim

"i seen on dateline nbc the the institute of highway safety said the trailblazer did bad as far as protecting the knees of the driver. plus they gave it a marginal rating i really like it but i am concerned about the safety. i have to test drive the envoy it did very good in the test"
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    mookie, check out www.IIHS.org and check on the Trailblazer for the crash test. I have personally viewed it because I too was concerned; but when comparing the trailblazer, explorer, and 4runner, the only large difference that I found was on the head trauma that the dummy got from hitting the door pillar. I don't think that IIHS is very fair because there is no hard data to support their ratings like www.nhtsa.gov has which has the TTI or trauma indexes(force exerted on various parts of the body) The other thing is that this truck weighs in about 300#'s more than the explorer and 500#'s more than the 4runner so it has to absorb much more impact in IIHS's off center impact test. Just some information that I found while I was researching the Trailblazer. Overall, IMO if you look at the crash test, the Explorer compared to the Trailblazer, both heads hit the B-pillar, and both legs hit the underside of the steering column. Both structures looked very well maintained so how did the Trailblazer get Marginal while the Explorer got best pick? hmm.. just a thought.. you guys may want to check it out too kinda interesting. The 4runner I would have to admit looks much better in crash tests, but also has higher rollover probability; and IMO Toyota dealers charge too much. =o) Just some thoughts.
    Personally, I have heard many things between the Trailblazer and Envoy ride quality. The biggest difference is if you get the Air Ride suspension on the Envoy, it is supposed to be more comfortable on the street; but from what most people tell me, and from my test drive, suspension is much too soft when put to the test; that and it always wants to autolevel the truck... arrrggh.. =o)
  • dankirkdankirk Member Posts: 19
    As was previously posted, the LS comes with an aluminum spare wheel and the LTZ comes with a steel spare. I believe this is because they are different sizes, the LS having 16" wheels and the LTZ having 17". GM probably made the decision on which wheels to purchase strictly on cost effectiveness, and that's just the way it turned out. No big deal.
  • aadlandaadland Member Posts: 28
    Thanks for providing those pics, Tim. It looks like Waag FINALLY got a TB in the studio....

I'm going to put a grill guard on mine fairly soon. There's no contest (at least to my tastes), the Waag is definately the best looking.

But I'm after function more than looks. The Manik mounting system is going to be alot stronger. It looks a bit more "truckish" but I think I'll get used to it.

But if/when I do a rear bumper guard, it will be the Waag (I've never rear-ended a deer before).... ;-)
    Has anyone but me tried to get the Go Rhino 3000 series brush guard for the Trailblazers? Has anyone heard anything about Go Rhino(except that they SUCK at their release dates) Have had one on order for oh, 12 weeks now since they so called had it available, been backordered 8 weeks now 4 weeks, well I guess that I will just see how they are this time around... maybe they will actually send one when I get my guy to call to check up this time. The only reason I'm going through GO Rhino is because its only going to run about 250 for the center piece(no headlight extentions) chromed, so I figured its a good price especially considering that Smittybilt is about 500 for the same thing.
    As for bars in the front, unless it's looks you are going for, I'd wait to see if any of the Australian outfits ARB, ECB or TJM come out with bars for the front. I have a close friend who works at a body shop and he said that all the US based bars are way too weak and essentially cost more damage if you hit another vehicle or deer. What happens is that it gets pushed back and instead of having to replace the grille and bumper you also have to replace the hood, headlights, fenders and radiator when it gets smooshed(is that a technical term?) into the front. Of course the Australian ones cost around $1000 so they are costlier.

-mike
  • sildogsildog Member Posts: 50
    www.crutchfield.com

If you go to that site, there is place you can click called "What fits my vehicle". You can find out diameter and depth data. I think 6-1/2 is what I put in, but I can't remember for sure.

If you really want to upgrade, I recommend going to the Infinity Reference separates. They cost a little more than the one-pc coaxial. The advantage is that you can mount the tweeter up high on the door. They come with a surface mounting bracket that looks very unobtrusive when attached to the small triangular panel on the inside of the door by the mirrors. If you just put coaxials in the door, the tweeter is aiming the sound at your feet. If you put the tweeters high in the door, the sound aims at your ears. This is a significant upgrade in sound performance.
  • sbindleysbindley Member Posts: 28
    I'm finishing up the Kenwood system in my 2002 Envoy SLT with the Bose upgraded system. If you have a Bose, remember, there are separates in the door and dash, but they are NOT a woofer and tweeter -- they are a woofer and a full range paper speaker in the dash. High end woofer/tweeter combos will NOT work as the mid frequencies will blow a tweeter in the dash (if you are keeping the Bose head unit). I put in Kenwood's Excelon 4" coax's in the dash, and am putting their best mid-bass in the doors - 6.5" w1705's (if they fit depth-wise). The rears are 5.25" full rangerrs that I replaced with Kenwood's Excelon coax's in the same size. By the way, the info I got from Crutchfied was incorrect as far as sizing..

This system is a sponsored buildup for Truckin's SUV Magazine. I met with the Kenwood rep yesterday and he was very impressed with the sound using the stock head unit, Kenwood's best speakers and a powered woofer in the rear that fits neatly beneath the carpeted hatch.

I know a lot of people are frustrated with the stock head unit being integrated with the Onstar and warning chimes, etc. I'm here to say that if you have the Bose upgrade, you can put together an excellent system without messing with the head unit. There is plenty of clean power to drive the best speakers. For bass, the sky is the limit as powered woofers will work with any system and are only limited by $$ and space.

To answer your question about the front door speakers, in the Bose system, they are 6.5 or 6.75" woofers with the magnets mounted in front of the cones. They are a little too boomy and muddy for my tastes, so if the Kenwood w1705's fit, I'll prob block the lower frequencies and use them to deliver that tight punch. They woofer in the trunk can fill in the lows.

Hope that helps. Watch the magazine this fall for details and photos.

Also, when it is all finished, I may see if Tim will post a stereo section so everyone can see how this system came together.

Scott
    It's not just style and looks with the US Makes. The design of WAAG's is stong enough to do what it's intended to do in Brush and what not. None of them are designed or recommended to prevent damage from accidents nor would anyone endorse that. However, as with my step hitch, they will help to a point and of course not if the force is great enough. I've not seen to many vehicles strike a deer or another car that didn't break a light assembly or bend the nose, hood or fender. Vehicles are designed to do that in order to distribute the forces and set off the air-bags. Same with these guards. These guards are much stronger at the ends than the corners of the fenders and can absorb a much greater impact without flexing than the any are of the front nose on a triplet can. I've taken out 1/2" sapplings with mine on a Z-71 GMC but theres no way would I push them with the bumper and grill on the triplets. Especially given the fact that our hoods can flex with the push or twist of my own doing. So overall, they are not necessarily going to lead to further damage and if they do bend that much, chances are that's an impact that would certainly not fair well for a vehicle without the guard. Too strong of a system will wiegh a lot more, and could prevent the vehicle from abosorbing the impact as it should or deploying the air bags.

The rear bumper guards are just that. Designed for parking lot damage and slow traffic. Heck the step hitch I had did great at preventing the nose of the Montero from hitting my rear hatch. ONLY the bumper was damaged and even that was not touch by the Montero, but rather the step that gave way while absorbing the impact. Without it, the hitch would have been struck, and the rear hatch smashed by the nose of the Montero.

Hey the information and choices are great...No intent to start a debate. Given the costs involved too, I'm sure the more expensive ones are designed differently for the purpose they serve. Personally I like the front runner as it's much more subtle & serves a purpose for me and many others that are not in need of a higher priced off-road unit. I've had more parking lot bumps and accidents happen to my vehicles than road accidents or deer strikes. Either way, enjoy!

"As for bars in the front, unless it's looks you are going for, I'd wait to see if any of the Australian outfits ARB, ECB or TJM come out with bars for the front. I have a close friend who works at a body shop and he said that all the US based bars are way too weak and essentially cost more damage if you hit another vehicle or deer. What happens is that it gets pushed back and instead of having to replace the grille and bumper you also have to replace the hood, headlights, fenders and radiator when it gets smooshed(is that a technical term?) into the front. Of course the Australian ones cost around $1000 so they are costlier."
    Yep I agree with yah. The Aussie ones are designed to take out Roos w/o sustaining damage to your car and are heavier as you said.

I've just overheard a lot of people at one time or another say "I'm gonna buy one of those bars for my truck, so I won't smack up the front if I hit something" unfortunately a lot of people have the misconception that they'll protect the front end more than they actually do.

Just a matter of preference/budget. Good to have options.

A few years ago everyone laughed at me when i said I wouldn't park my Trooper in Manhattan until I got a nudgebar in the front and a bumper protector in the rear. Sure enough the first time I parked it there someone backed right into my nudge bar.

-mike
  • dragonhead08dragonhead08 Member Posts: 34
    yea, I agree with you about the expensive blue bulbs made by piaa. But if you think those are bad you should check out the ones ipf make. Their either blue or purple, and once you turn off your lights, theres a glow in the dark ring on the mounting ring. price $130.00. Besides thats why companies like IPF and PIAA make a butt load more money each year compared to CIBIE. Hell, even Hella is starting to get in on the bandwagon with some of their new designs. Hella and IPF I like but I still cant agree with you on the CIBIE though. The quality of their housings leave a lot to be desired.
    I've never seen em sold here so I can't vouche personally for them. I guess PIAA uses the Bling Bling stuff to pay for their higher end stuff. Alot of the punky SUV owners here in Brooklyn and Staten Island (you know the ones who had fuzzy dice in the 70s, buick regals in the 80s, and caddy sts in the 90s) all get this gawdy bars and cheapo PIAA "crystal ion" lights and they just reak of cheese!

I got burnt on the $70 PIAA "Super white" bulbs.

-mike
  • agentelevenagenteleven Member Posts: 95
    Maybe a dumb question, but perhaps someone can help me out...

What's the best way to strap a couple of suitcases to the luggage rack WITHOUT buying a hard or soft carrier of some sort.

Would you push the crossbars together and put the luggage on top of them, or should you lay the luggage on the roof between the crossbars?

If you put the luggage directly on the roof, how do you prevent wheels, handles, etc. from damaging the paint or denting the roof?
  • envoyownerenvoyowner Member Posts: 42
    My dealer fixed the wandering mirrors about 2 months ago. Now, two days in a row upon start-up, my driver-side mirror....."wandered". Maybe a fluke (I hope). Just curious to see if anyone else has experienced this?
    Thanks!
  • rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    Got the new actuators in yesterday and was pulling out of the dealership and realized that they still didnt work. I put the Envoy in reverse and the right side mirror did a sickening lurch and stayed in the same position.

Luckily the technician who'd worked on it was there and he walked me through it. Since the triplets are so new he didn't really have any previous experience on them.

Anyhow, he started reading the owner's manual and pointed out that the mirrors need to be programmed first. (I did not know this, I wonder how many people complaining about wandering mirrors know). After you select the curbview option (Passenger/Driver/Both) you have to set the mirrors to dip down to suit your height & driving position. This setting gets memorized when the vehicle is next put into D(rive).

Duh...now the mirrors work fine!
  • rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    Any idea about the pricing for the WAAG and the custom guards from independent4x.com? Just a range would be good.
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    well um if someone can convince me would it be smart decision to buy a trailblazer? or a envoy? seeing that if i did i would have it 6 to 7 yrs. yes i will own a truck that long i hope? hahaha. but i really like it of course coming from a ford who would'nt so thats it
  • lockcityssrlockcityssr Member Posts: 21
    I don't have the Bose but I intend to use the OE head unit to maintain the stock look plus anyone looking in won't see an aftermarket setup that they may want to steal. I have used the stock head unit with aftermarket speakers on several vehicles and was always satisfied with the sound, they put out plenty of power for my tastes. I also use a sub with a separate amp to bring up the bass. I was going to look into the Infinity separates this time as long as the tweeters come with a nice looking mounting kit that matches the look of the Envoy's interior.(light oak)
  • bobed2121bobed2121 Member Posts: 70
    Can anyone please tell me what the fix on the fan is for the 02 TB?? It is driving me nuts. When I'm trailering my motorcycle if I attempt to pass someone well, forget it.
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Maybe a class action suit for the dangers this can cause would get GM's attention!

GAM
  • edisaacedisaac Member Posts: 15
    In the market for an SUV and have test drove the QX4, MDX, Explorer and the Envoy. I really like the looks and interior of the Envoy and all the gadgets. The only thing reason why I haven't pulled the trigger on one of these is the "quality" of GMC vs. the MDX/QX4. Having not bought an American vehicle in over 15 years I'm afraid of the dreaded "quality" and "recall" words that seem to come up with GM cars. One discussion group I took a look at it seemed that almost everyone had something go wrong with vehicle within the first 6 months. I would like to hear from those of you who've had the Envoy for a while and see what problems, if any, they've had to date. The funny thing about the complaints was that in spite of the problems, they liked the Envoy. Help! Thanks
  • trlblazertrlblazer Member Posts: 1
    Hoping someone can shine some light on this subject. I just purchased a 2002 TrailBlazer EXT, and I'm trying to figure out what the deal is with the (or without) the transmission oil cooler. Several sources (including Edmunds) list a auxiliary trans. cooler (not the one inside the radiator) as standard equipment with the Trailblazer. However, Chevrolet doesn't list this as standard equipment. Several dealerships in my area can't give me a straight answer either. Some say it has it, others say it doesn't. In looking under the hood, it appears it does not. Even more bizarre, it appears that it does have a small aux. cooler, but I traced the lines back to the power steering pump!

If someone else has more info. on this I would sure appreciate it. Since I tow a small trailer, I will add one if it doesn't already have one.
    Matt charges about $125 IIRC for the 2"x2" bar. The 2"x4" one was around $175.

Nice thing is he made it exactly the height of the cutout in the bumper on the trooper so I can put my heel on it and toe on the bumper and have a flat surface to load the roof up!

-mike
  • elt93722elt93722 Member Posts: 7
    I brought my Envoy to my dealer on Saturday to a list of items to be repaired.
    1. Engine fan - with the recent heat wave in this area, I would start the engine after being out in the sun all day and I would drive along and when the engine temp reached 210 deg the fan would come on. The service rep replied that this was normal, but I told her it only started doing this recently. She said she had a reprogram available and would do it. Result - the fan still comes on but so far only at startup after cooling off in the garage overnight. I will probably leave it as is unless something else happens.
    2. Gap in the front roof rack mounting - fixed.
    3. Warped door handle - part ordered.
    4. Gasket for rear license plate holder - they could not find a part number in their microfiche (no wonder some dealers can't find certain parts). I told them I got a part number from the internet, went to the parts dept, found it on the database, and ordered one. Thanks to this board for the part number.
    5. Loose interior door panel - the insert that holds it in placed had come off - fixed.
    6. Warped housing for 3rd brake light - I hope the heat is not the cause, but a gap has developed between the housing and the brake light - part ordered.
    7. Radio - standard SLT radio would lose power, lose all presets, and some time later the presets, would come back; some cd's damaged; dial the phone without any buttons being touched - a supervisor just happened to be in the room when I was describing this problem and he thought the radio should be pulled. The radio was removed and sent out for repairs, got a call today that it had come back. I wonder what they fixed? I would rather have had a new one installed. By the way, I asked what it would cost to put in a Bose system since they had already pulled out the radio, their response: "We don't do that here." Oh, well...
    8. Seat bracket covers - could not find part number, said the Envoys on their lot did not have the inside covers also. No biggie, I can live without these.
    9. And a partridge in a pear...

Hopefully all the ordered parts will come in. The service rep. was pleasant throughout the ordeal, although she didn't look that way after about the third item on the list.

PS
    Recently there was some discussion about warranties, and I remembered that my insurance company offered to insure against major breakdowns for about $10-12 a month. I turned it down, just like I did when they offered it for our Accord. I'm wondering, has anyone tried this kind of insurance?
    Also, I thought about doing some modifications to my Envoy. I asked the sevice rep how it would affect the warranties, and the impression that I got was that there would be a lot of hassle trying to prove that the modifications did not cause any damage. If you guys are doing any modifications to your triplets, what kind of precautions are you taking to ensure your warranties aren't voided? I will probably wait another 20K miles before I add or change anything.
    Actually, if you look in the front of the TB right behind the air dam, there is a small 4-5" high transmission cooler that is about 18-24" long. There is also a Cooling line that goes into the radiator that is for the oil. At least this is what the local Transmission shops have told me, I too was concerned, but by the combined advice of 3 transmission shops, the one in the air dam is for the transmission fluid, and the engine oil has a line going into the radiator. I could be wrong, though, but this is what I have been told when I was looking to install one after my buddy's 97 blazer with the 4l60e tranny's transmission went wacko on him.. =o) Hope this helps some and I dont think its going to the power steering pump, maybe under it, and to the transmission... rnd
  • envoyownerenvoyowner Member Posts: 42
    Thanks for the response. I thought all you had to do was position the mirror, then set to memory (pressing either button 1 or 2) {??}
  • lurker01lurker01 Member Posts: 103
    First, to those of you upgrading the speakers, please be sure to post the results (what size/brand fits/sounds best). I have the BOSE and would really like to know what my options are in replacing the speakers but keeping the head unit. Than said, I am quite satisfied with the current sound but am always willing to go for improvements.

As for quality questions, I have had all the usual glitches but went to the dealer with my stack of TSBs and got everything fixed to my satisfaction. Yes the engine fan comes on from time to time, but I accept the technical explanation posted here recently and can live with it. It has only come on in the morning for a few minutes or once when climbing the pass on I-90.

Positives notes: This is a very quite vehicle. Recently took a ~900 mile round trip to Idaho and the comfort level was appreciated by all, even my 6' tall friend who rode in the smaller back seat (the other side was down to make room for camping gear). The DIC read 19.3 mpg for the trip. That included 4 major and 3 minor mountain passes, mostly on I-90 at ~78mph. I have the 4.10 gears.
    My first tank after the trip is getting 18.5mpg, a 1mpg improvement over my average around town/commute mileage before the trip. MPG just keeps getting better. The first 5 tanks were only about 15.5mpg last year.

Other positives: The ride is smooooth. I like it. Yes, it is not an off road beast, but it handled the logging roads just fine. And the seats are very comfortable. I road in a 2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer recently, and while the interior was nearly as nice as my Envoy, after about 2 hours in the front passenger seat, I was in pain.

Only issues:
    The rain sense wipers (which I love, living in the PNW) sometimes will activate in bright sun when the light hits them just right.
    That damm strap for the rear hatch finally broke. Does anyone have a good solution for that? Do you think the dealer will fix it under warrantee? Might they have a better version they can put on?

Finally, I am interested in that WAAG front guard (the low profile one) so I have some place to strap down the canoe. But their web site does not have a part number or price for the Envoy unit. Any thoughts?

-John.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You came to Idaho with your canoe and you didn't call me? I have to pass on a Main Salmon trip next week since previous plans are taking me elsewhere :(

Thanks for the trip report - hope you enjoyed your visit!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • mgrcmmgrcm Member Posts: 53
    Lurker01,I e-mailed WAAG last week and got a part #18346 for the front runner on the Envoy.It is currently available in black and S.S. will be available in the fall.See tim lauro's post #6778 in regards to getting a good price.

Rick
  • rbaker377rbaker377 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know whether the standard radio "head unit" be replaced with the Bose unit? Is the standard wiring harness compatible? I realize I will have to put in some more speakers.

Where can I find the GM part number for the Bose unit so I can look for it on gmpartsdirect, or elsewhere? Thanks,

Bob
    What type of mods are you referring to? It's true that if you were to change out say the heads on the motor or even the case of my GTP, swap out the pulley, you will put your warranty at risk if caught. However, there are not that many mods that you can do currently that will void the warranty. They just aren't available.

Really, the burden is on them to prove that the mod caused the problem. Like an exhaust for example. They can't claim an issue unless the exhaust causes a major change in how the engine performs and thus results in say computer code issues. Say cutting out the cat. converter or what not...that's bad. But replacing cat to tailpipe...shouldn't be an issue as the added performance will be compensated and "learned" by the PCM through adjustments. Within reason though. Running a 3" downpipe and 3" exhuast would probably cause the I6 to run too cool for which there is no adjustment to be made.

All in all, temper changes with risks and modify within reasonable tollerances.

"I asked the sevice rep how it would affect the warranties, and the impression that I got was that there would be a lot of hassle trying to prove that the modifications did not cause any damage. If you guys are doing any modifications to your triplets, what kind of precautions are you taking to ensure your warranties aren't voided? I will probably wait another 20K miles before I add or change anything. "
    Well, I bring my LTZ in on Monday to get the rear bumper replaced and should have it back by Wednesday. However, since the one tail-lamp that has a crack in it is also being replaced, I am going to replace both with the International Export Version just for grins and to be a bit goofy....as normal :)

They are actually about $20 cheaper than the standards too! Pics and more info soon to come.

Page three of "Your Triplet Pics" contains a pic of P-Suke's Japanese Red LTZ with international lamps for your viewing pleasure. Link below.

Enjoy.

tim

http://www.timlauro.com/cars/trailblazer/1-main-page.html
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Was looking at the tail lights on my TB wondering when the middle lamp low filiments ever come on. The top ones are the normal running lamps on low, brake on hi, the middle are emergency flash and turn signals on hi but I never see the middle lows come on. Was observing all this with a mirror behind the TB. Anybody else noticed this?
  • iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Wow.. This is one active board! I've been gone for a couple of days and VIOLA.. Lots of Postings!

rj123456: Wandering Mirrors
    Well, I might be able to shed some light on teh Wandering Mirror issue. I was kind of in the same boat as you were with the reverse tilt mirror. The local dealer didn't know that much about it at the time and we went through THREE mirrors until another guy decided to whip out the owners manual and miraculously weeded through the poorly written BS to find a blurb in there stating that "you can save your personal reverse tilt mirror position by simply activating the feature in the DIC, placing the vehicle in reverse and positioning the mirror(s) to where you want them to be once the vehicle is placed into reverse." WE did this and it worked like a charm! There is no need to hold down the memory 1 or 2 button to program the REVERSE position.

Since the mirror actuators have been installed, luckily my mirrors have been staying put. However, lately it seems as if the passenger side reverse tilt mirror seems to forget to reposition itself once the vehicle has been placed into DRIVE? Anyone else experiencing this since the new actuators have been installed? In order to rectify this problem, I usually have to shift back into reverse to let the mirrors position themselves again, then shift back into DRIVE for the mirrors to return to the regular driving preset position. This happens at least 3x a week for me, but in my honest attempt to stay out of the service department, I may live with it for a little while longer.

edisaac: GM Quality Issues vs. Competitors
    Edisaac... if you've been the owner of very reliable and trouble-free (service dept. free) vehicles, then you may want to definitely do some thinking before deciding to purchase a triplet. Now I am not trying to open a can of worms here.. don't get me wrong, the triplets are DEFINITELY FINE AUTOMOBILES, but they have been plagued by the first year perpetual woes that most new models experience.. and lately it seems to me that GM service depts are visited quite frequently than most.

In my own effort to keep up with the competition, I keep myself plugged into the loop of what other vehicle manufactures are doing in the SUV world and I must say, there are some REALLY NICE offerings headed towards consumers for 2003. For instance, since I live near the motor city capital of the world (Detroit, MI), I've had the privilege of seeing the 2003 Lincoln Aviator and Navigator up close and personal.. the Aviator still has the manufacturer plates on them but WOW.. what a dish! I think that GM was first out of the gate with the triplets which was good, but I think that they are going to face some STIFF competition for 2003. The interior quality of the Aviator was verrryy nice.. such little touches as carpet trim on the lower door panels makes a $30 - $40K vehicle seem so elegant. I can remember the first time I showed my father my Envoy, he remarked, "This is the best use of plastic on a GM vehicle that I have EVER SEEN!" Lexus has their new offering coming out soon and it also looks very nice as well, same applies for Toyota, Volkswagon, etc. I could go on and on about what's coming down the pike for 2003, but I think that you may want to investigate 2003 offerings for yourself. Although those vehicles may experience first year woes as well, in some cases, it may be less severe than what we have experienced.

All in all, I do enjoy my Envoy, but there are some minor details that become rather annoying at times that will probably get revised soon through TSB's and such. For instance, I do not think that the auto climate control works as efficiently or intuitively as it should. It seems to work against me during the summer.. It's cools the interior adequately, but insists on delivering the air to your FACE, even after the vehicle has cooled down considerably. I cannot speak for everyone else on this board, but the history of this forum demonstrates some of the major issues/complaints that we've been dealing with for quite some time. Although, I do think that GM has taken some great strides to assist us, I do think that there is quite a bit more room for improvement, especially for the 2003 model year; which according to GM sources goes virtually unchanged for 2003.

Hope that helps! Just my .02 cents!

PS: And my vote for the MOST RIDICULOUS SUV for 2003 Goes to the Hummer H2! I don't know if anyone else have seen these, but they are really floating around Michigan with Manufacturer plates on them and regular plates too! THIS THING IS RIDICULOUS! The interior looks like a cross between the Envoy and the Pontiac Aztec and even though this is a scaled down version of the original, THIS THING IS HUGEEE! I would honestly hate to see a smaller vehicle get into a collision with this thing! The first thought that came to my mind when I first saw this vehicle on the road, "SUV Insurance Rates Will Sky-Rocket for SURE!"

Thanks!

IExplore2000@aol.com
  • lurker01lurker01 Member Posts: 103
    Actually I didn't take the canoe on this trip. Spent my time exercising trout on the St. Joe. always a good time...

And, I was able to fit all my camping gear plus and extra person in the Envoy. The Jimmy would only hold 2 people with all the gear. still was a bit full. I guess I should have waited for the XL, but the standard one barely fits in my garage!
    For those that are interested in seeing what other folks are doing and doing it with...check out the few new modifications and 3 sharp new triplets featured below.

John and Tim have both worked on their intake systems and John even dressed up his tailpipe a bit. Click on "Your Mods" to see what's new.

Page 3 under "Your Triplet Pics" has three new Triplets to enjoy.

http://www.timlauro.com/cars/trailblazer/1-main-page.html
  • ewood801ewood801 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all
    I have a 2 week old Envoy SLT with 1289 miles the radio sounds muffled and muddy. What are the specs on the AM/FM CD Cass. radio watts per channel etc. How difficult is to install new speakers?
    ewood801
  • elt93722elt93722 Member Posts: 7
    TLauro,

I thought about a new exhaust system and adding a throttle body spacer. I don't need the extra power right now, so I'm willing to wait. The better gas mileage would be beneficial, hhmmm...
  • johntrjohntr Member Posts: 71
    I had the pleasure of changing a tire on my TB this week. Luckily, it was in a driveway & level. I highly recommend that everyone practice changing the tire at least once! Also, let me know your experience in trying to remove the jack from under the seat. ;-)

While my spare was removed, I took a looked under the carriage to make sure things looked "normal". I noticed a medium diameter hose with a capped end. This came over the differential and was terminated. Is this to support supplemental brake systems for trailering?

Does anyone have any recommendation or recommend a device that would allow to easily check the spare tire pressure for periodic maintenance? Is there anything like a pressure hose extension? Since the spare is mounted underneath, why doesn't GM develop a small panel door, sealed, of course, which can be opened to allow easy access to the tire valve to pressure check/top off the spare? I wouldn't want to be in need of the spare & not be able to use it because of low pressure.

FYI, my spare is an black painted alloy rim which was not completely painted on the backside as well - I have an LT with 16" wheels.

John
    most like it's the rear diffy vent? That would be my guess.

-mike
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    Check out the "Flies on the wall" article on the Autoweek website. They discuss how car manufactures DO check these sites to hear views of owners instead of a focus group that has not shelled out the bucks yet. Keep the posts coming.
  • icojonesicojones Member Posts: 61
    Tim-

How much did the rear bumper cost you. I need a replacement myself, and I can't believe the $750 price tag. 4 hours of painting labor?? Is that reasonable?
    Is about right if you want it done correctly. Bumpers need special paint/process or else they will peal easily. Basically since the bumper is a rubbery material they have to put on something that will flex, unlike painting metal which doesn't flex much.

-mike
  • gcleftongclefton Member Posts: 8
    John,

I got my 42" spare tire extension hose from www.griotsgarage.com for less than $10. It works fine; I kept it external, but accessable.