Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Would it be OK if I compared a '96 MPV to a '04 Sienna then? That is what you are doing when you are comparing a 2000 Elantra to current models--the car debuted in 1995. The thing about Hyundai (and Kia) to keep in mind is that they have made huge strides in just the past few years. As for people who trash their cars in a year, yes, I've seen trashed 1-year-old Hondas and Toyotas too. My 3-1/2 year old Elantra still looks brand new--nothing falling off, interior perfect (well, spots on the mats). Judging the quality of an entire automaker's product by one or two samples is unfair. Resale-wise, yes, there's still a big difference between the Koreans and Honda and Toyota (but interestingly not Mazda, why I don't know). But personally I don't know how you could be torn in any way between the MPV and Sedona--the MPV is a better van in nearly every aspect, except maybe warranty, and price. IMO of course.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    Rockybunk

If you thin the Sedona handles well, then you're going to think the MPV handles like an Indy 500 car!

To those of you who think Kia's and Hyundai's quality is all that, I will say it's improved drastically over the last several years, but it's not at the same level as the Japanese makers.
    .....if the tranny's still shifting smoothly if the rest of the van falls apart in 2 years?
    you'll get a chance to drive it for at least two years (at least five actually, that's how long everything is under warranty if "the rest of the van falls apart") without the transmission destroying itself.
    And how much of that time will the van be spent in the shop getting that warranty work done? No thanks. I'll get the tranny fix done on my MPV and drive it for the next 10 years.
    And as Maxwell Smart used to say, "And loving every minute of it!"
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    We're thinking of keeping our 2002 MPV bought close to two years ago for a total of 5-6 years. Given that it's a fully loaded ES with power doors, 6 CD changer and other electronic goodies, I'd feel a bit more comfortable having an extended warranty. But only, if it's reasonably priced.

Did anyone buy a Mazda (not after-market) extended warranty? If so, how much did you pay and for what length/number of miles?

Maybe someone knows of an on-line source for Mazda extended warranty plans? I found several sites for Honda/Acura original extended warranties at great discounts, but nothing for Mazda so far. Again, I'm not interested in thrid-party plans like Warranty Gold.

Thank you!
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    Does anyone else have a problem with how hard the bolster sides of the driver's seat's cushion are? I can't drive our MPV for more than half hour without getting a pain in both thighs. My wife, who's a lot smaller than me does not have this problem.

I'm 180 lbs and 5'10" tall, so I'm not that big, and it's the only car that ever hurt me this way. It also seems like the padding on those bolster sides is getting thinner and there's really hard plastic that's poking through. I may bring this up on our visit to the dealer tomorrow to reprogram the transmission.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    '02 LX pushing 20,000 miles now, absolutely no problems whatsoever. I have never seen a post on an '02 tranny hard shift problem.

I don't even mind the extra long shift lever, the van has been that good for us. You can check back a couple years for yourself, the MPV is very solid.

John
    I still have confidence in our '03 MPV. I think it will be a stellar performer once the tranny fix has been done. Other than the tranny problem (and the tires), I still think it's one of the very best vans out there.
  • notasoccermomnotasoccermom Member Posts: 55
    Well, sheesh, backy, I was trying to digress a bit but you obviously didn't get that, and twisted my words quite a bit. I'm not comparing a '96 to an '04 or even close! I was relating my experiences of several LATE model ('00-'03) Korean made cars I have owned or known of and using Hyundai's as my example because that's what I have seen/owned. I digressed by saying that maybe Kia's are better quality than Hyundai's--I don't know for sure but we banked on the Korean car reputation & our previous experience and went with the Mazda instead of the Kia. Sure they have improved from the '90's models, but in our experience they still are inferior to the Japanese and even American cars (shudder), for fit & finish IMO. And of course if you don't take good care of any car it can look trashed after a year! I was comparing two cars that were cared for in the same manner by the same family (MINE!), kept in the same environment, and looking at how well the sheet metal, plastic parts & interior carpet and fabric held up on one vs. the other. The Korean car just didn't measure up to even my American car (Chevy) in that area, and I've seen the same happen with other people who have owned them who take pristine care of their automobiles.

We can agree to disagree.
  • daron1daron1 Member Posts: 18
    I'm ready for my '04's 1st service visit, & although I have had just a few "hard shifts," I now know(thanks to this board) that I can get that fixed. Can anyone give me the exact service to request from my dealer..is there a specific name, or code, or anything like that? Also, I'm checking for TSB(through Edmunds), but there doesn't seem to be one. Is this "fix" somehow not specifically a TSB? Thanks for anything you guys can send to make my dealer service encounter go more smoothly. I hope not to have any problems, but I want to begin from a position of strength(ie knowledge) Thanks
  • frankmanfrankman Member Posts: 13
    I had my tranny reflashed on 2-10-04. Service manager was clueless about the fix when I brought in my 04 MPV, but was willing to take the van in. I told them to check Mazda bulletin and simply download the updates 10 times before I left with a loaner car. Fortunately, they did find the fix and had it done the same day. Now, my MPV runs perfectly without any problems. You should not be discouraged to bring in your vans if the dealers appear not aware of the fix. Just tell them where to find the info and push them to do it. MPV is so much more enjoyable after the tranny fix. BTW, my service sheet only says TCM, PCM updates, not informative at all. Many postings reveal all the codes for the fix under "Problems and Solutions."
    I took a '04 LX for a spin yesterday. I had driven the '03 and wanted to see if there was any difference. There was no significant difference I could discern. I did like the steeering wheel on the '04 better, and the looks are a little more sporty than the '03, but I like the styling of the '03 too. IMO the silver trim on the bumpers and side fascias looks tacky, not in keeping with the sporty character of the vehicle. There was no hint of hard shifting--all shifts were very smooth. Temperature was about freezing.

I also drove a Sienna XLE and Quest S yesterday, and IMO the MPV handles better than either of them, although the Quest wasn't too far behind and it was a little smoother than the MPV. The MPV feels like a good-handling mid-sized car, while the Quest feels more like a good-handling full-sized car and the Sienna feels more like, well, a Buick--kind of floaty.

Pricewise, the dealer is offering $3500 off (including $2000 rebate) every '04 LX, and in three weeks they will be adding the annual $500 auto show bonus. I figure a van equipped the way I want it would be about $21k + T&L--considerably less than a Sienna or Quest, but considerably more than a Caravan SXT (adv. price $16,800 not including the auto show bonus or ABS, which would be a wash).
  • crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    I can proudly say my 2000 MPV just passed the 80,000 mile mark today. This has so far (knock on wood) been my most trouble free vehicle. It has not required anything beyond normal maintenance. Even the brakes are still original. I do occasionally get a check engine light and the "moose noise" from the idle air valve is a winter companion, but these are ignorable for now. Sure hope these comments don't jinx me.
  • kolt1kolt1 Member Posts: 25
    $4k off list ain't too shabby. I do like the grill on the'03 better than on the '04. The black grill on the '03 just seems more sportier to me (...eye of the beholder). So which one are you going to park in your driveway long term?
    I remember a post of yours back in November where you gave Mazda a tongue lashing for not stepping up to the plate in regards to the tansmission issue, which they deserved IMO. You said that you wouldn't consider buying another Mazda nor would you recommend one to anyone who would listen. Now that this problem 'seems' to have been resolved, how do you feel about their product now? I'm going to be in the market for a new vehicle in a few months and am strongly considering the MPV. BTW, my calculations say that you average over 20k miles per year. Are these miles highway miles to and from work, or do you just do a lot of driving 'from sea to shining sea'?
    That is a good question. I have a Prius on order, and if it makes it here before my current lease is up then that will be in my garage. The MPV is my #1 backup plan, but the Caravan is still in the picture if I can "steal" one.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    You expect the Caravan to be more reliable than the MPV? I suggest you look at the Caravan/Town and Country boards.
    No, I don't expect the Caravan to be more reliable than the MPV. I didn't say that, did I? I do look at the Caravan/T&C boards. I've owned two Caravans over the past 11 years and they've been very reliable. Reliability of the DC vans has been on the upswing in recent years, to the point even that CR can recommend them again. What I expect is that the '04 Caravan will provide me with the smaller size I want, the features I want, good ride and handling, great looks (better than the MPV IMO), at a price that is about $4000 less than the '04 MPV. For that difference, plus the Chrysler 7/70 warranty and the great service I've received from my Dodge dealer the past 11 years, I can accept worse predicted reliability for the Caravan than the MPV. If price were equal or even close, I'd prefer the MPV. But $4000 + interest is a big deal.
  • crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    Now that Mazda has seemed to have resolved the tranny problems I would certainly consider another MPV. However, the fix is still young. Time will tell. I think I never really stopped touting the virtues of my particular van "to anyone who would listen", but I did always mention troubles were occuring with the new model's transmissions.

Most of my mileage comes from the daily commute to work and getting my son to swim practices. I would guess the highway/urban ratio to be about 65/35. Normally when I fill-up I'm getting 21-22 mpg. The highest I've ever seen was 25 mpg on an all downhill, no AC jaunt to Savannah a couple months back.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Mazda chat starts in ~55 minutes. Link is on the left.

Steve, Host
    Can you really get a comparably equipped Caravan (privacy glass, roof rack, traction control, folding rear seat, rear AC, transmission cooler, heavy duty battery, floor mats, etc.) with the same horsepower and torque for $4K less than an MPV. If you can, grab it and tell me where I can get one. That is one heckuva deal, even with some of the reliability problems DC vans have. The 7 yr. 70K mile powertrain warranty is nice also, even if it is a prorated warranty.
    Yes, I am sure I can get the Caravan that has the features I want (that is what I said in my earlier post if you'll recall) for about $4K less than an MPV that has the features I want. The Caravan at that price would have some things the MPV does not have, and the MPV would have some things the Caravan does not have. You can get a Caravan at this price in the Twin Cities; the dealer that has advertised the lowest price lately is Hopkins Dodge, $16.8k w/o ABS. ABS adds about $500, but there will be an additional $500 off in a couple of weeks when the local auto show comes (annual promotion). It will apply to the MPV too. I figured that in when I estimated the MPV at around $21k. The problem will be getting a '04 Caravan SXT in a few weeks; the '05s are already out and the '04s are in short supply. And who knows what the rebates will be after March 1. Another option is getting a '03 MPV; there's a couple of dozen of those around the Twin Cities based on ads and inventory searches.

Now, since this isn't a comparison board, let's let people get back to talking about MPVs, shall we?
    Ouch!
    be a lesson to everyone else. The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    the big, bad Host didn't have to come in with the Big Stick and tell us to behave like good MPVers.
    I've read where some folks have posted that the tranny in the MPV doesn't have a filter, but only a screen. Others have stated that it does have a filter. What is the correct answer? Also, if I were to remove the drain plug to drain the tranny (as opposed to doing a complete flush), how many quarts would it take to refill it?
    Thanks for all the inputs :(
    .....every time I post a message in here, everyone else stops posting until someone else comes along and changes the subject? I know there are poeple in this forum who have changed their own fluid and would be able to answer my questions. Where are you?
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    everyone is out enjoying the warmer weather. :-) or they can't login to Edmunds ;)

-Brian
    This time of the year, I know the nice weather doesn't last this long.
    ....I called our local Mazda service dept today. This is what they said. The '02 and newer trannies do have a filter, but you don't ever need to change it, even if you change your own fluid. He also scheduled me for Thursday to have the reflash done to fix the hard shifting problem. We'll see if this is really the cure.
    you could try the Problems board. I know you know of the 'other' site as well. ;)

-Brian
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe someone will talk to you at the Mazda chat tonight. Starts in 80 minutes - link's on the left.

Steve, Host
    ....I've eveer seen this thread this dead. Where is everybody?
    the number of posts overall in TH are down a bit since the upgrade. *shrug*

-Brian
  • ajnbaxterajnbaxter Member Posts: 7
    I'm over 30K miles and my tires show it. I have a 2002 MPV ES and I have the 17 inch wheels. I'd like to keep the current tire size. Any suggestions. And yes, the posts are pretty quiet.
    tirerack doesn't list much in the OEM size 17", you'll find the OEM Dunlops listed though, if you like 'em. Otherwise, you can try some of the slightly different 17" tires they list - like the 225/50-17. A bit more selection, if anything. I'd point you to a listing of tire sizes for the MPV, but TH wouldn't like that much. Basically if you can find a 17" tire that stays within +/-2% of the original size, you *should* be ok, keeping in mind that whatever size you go with that is NOT OEM will yield a different speedo and odo reading.

Any brand preferences? What kind of tire you in search of - touring, performance?

-Brian
  • oldmedicoldmedic Member Posts: 78
    Subearu is right the oem size selection is very limited and expensive. I think 225/55 17 is the best alternative. Increases the number of available brands to select from and maintains a near oem diameter and width especially with Japanese brands as they tend to run narrower. Check the "specs" on tirerack.com of tires to see if their diameter and width are similar.
    My questions have been sitting in here for a week with no responses. The second someone else comes in and changes the subject, people reply right away. Why does everyone in here hate me?
    it's just that no one currently monitoring this board knows the answer to your question. This isn't Mazda Technical Support, and there is no Service Level Agreement for answering questions.
    we already discussed this somewhere else on the 'net ;-)

I guess just wait until 30k and get the pan dropped and filter cleaned.

Working on AT's is not our cup-o-tea. It's a sensitive beast I guess. Tires are easy!

-Brian
  • adzamadzamadzamadzam Member Posts: 2
    Mazda will no longer offer the mpv for the US market after 3 straight years of declining sales. The top mazda officials admit the current mpv cannot compete with the bigger minivan offering from Honda and Toyota.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    Where does this information come from? Personally I doubt it. After spending money to freshen it up for 2004 MY just discontinue. Plus it sells not too bad AFAIK.
    That would be too bad, if true. The MPV is the only short minivan available with a stowable rear seat, and it's more fun to drive than the short DC vans. I see tons of late-model MPVs in my town, although I have yet to see a '04 driving around.
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    Geneva Auto Show here on the Edmund's site and check out the Mazda4 MX-Flexa. Reports state that it will replace the MVP but will it come to NA? Smaller than the present MPV yet sporty and practical powered by the 160hp 4 cylinder engine from the Mazda6. Looks sharp and will be in a market all it's own. Honda and Toyota may fight back with a redesigned Stream/Latitude or the JDM Odyssey which is rumored may come as an Acura. Toyota has their WISH, Avensis Wagon and Corolla Verso which would all be in the same market as the Flexa.
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    It will be a long while before this vehicle makes it to the USA, as it is only a concept vehicle now. Also, it better be a lot smaller and lighter than the current MPV if it will only come with a 4 cylinder engine. People in the USA like big engines, V6 and V8 with 200-300 hp. Mazda made a mistake a few years ago when they underpowered the MPV with a 2.5 liter,160hp 6cyl.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    I guess my "racing days" are long past but I own one of those "underpowered MPV with a 2.5 liter,160hp 6cyl." I haven't been in a position yet that I wished for more power. I find that mobility (dash and dart) to get out of the way of the A.J. Foyts on the roads is more comforting. My '01 cruises at 80mph with everyone else - it may take me 4.3 seconds longer to get to that speed but I stop and smell the flowers sometimes - or my dog who won't get out of my lap!