Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• elantramanelantraman Member Posts: 24
    Wanted to get the enthusiast's point of view. 98 Green Stock Prelude, Automatic (Yes that's what I want) 83K miles and in clean condition. Price is $8,000. (That's as much as I can afford now)Don't see a lot for sale in this area. Usually only about two on the market. Can I expect to get 175K miles? What do you think guys?
  • chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    That's the thing. The prelude always felt right. Always got 25mpg. I loved the utility too. I know people think there isn't that much room in it but I never had a problem with fitting all of my groceries or folding down the back seat to fit something. I also fit my buddies in the back seat in emergencies. I'll tell you this, nothing comes close to a prelude without spending 2X the price. The ZHP was the only sedan that felt like an upgrade. My buddy has an IS300 and it can't match the lude in handling. If it weren't for the kid I would have kept my 4ever. Hope you keep yours for a while.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Mazda RX-8 is a fantastic successor to the Prelude, and the Acura TSX is a suitable four-door version. Both are fun, extremely well handling cars that have much of the same feel and emotion as the Prelude. They are worth a look if you want a similar driving experience.
  • elantramanelantraman Member Posts: 24
    Didn't get the experts opinion here, but I bought it anyway.
  • kkl1kkl1 Member Posts: 16
    This is a belated response, haven't signed on for a while. I also have a 1998 Prelude, the paint looks new, and I haven't seen the white formations on my paint. I do wax it (Zaino) 1-2X per year and that is probably protecting the paint. Anyone else have thoughts on Snuke's paint query?

Ken
    Elantraman (or is it preludeman now?)-

Sorry you didn't get any responses, I just logged on for the 1st time here in over 1-2 months. Congratulations on your purchase. My 1998 automatic Prelude, which I purchased new, has 65000 miles and has had no problems. If your Prelude's previous owner(s) was (were) assiduous in maintaining the car and didn't abuse it, it should last a while. The only problems I have heard about are some concerns about the automatic manumatic transmissions breaking down prematurely in the 1997 and 1998 Preludes, although my transmission has been fine, even surviving low transmission fluid due to mechanic not tightening transmission fluid cap sufficiently.

Hope your Prelude gives you many thousands of trouble-free performance!

Ken
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    Well, it has been a month since anybody has posted on this Prelude board. Hope all of your cars are doing better than mine:( I had an accident today on my way to work. Merging back onto the highway (because traffic was backed up to get off the exit ramp), I looked over my left shoulder, checked my driver's and rearview mirror, there is a big gap for me to get on, by the time I'm shifting from 2nd to 3rd, CRUNCH! I see my driver's side mirror fly off in front of me. As I was merging from the right into the left, a woman in a sliver Subaru Legacy (old body style) changed lanes from left to the center lane. Her bumper and mirror tore a nice gash into the side of my car. The front left quarter panel is going to have to be replaced, I can't open my driver's door all the way, I lost my left side mirror (it was fun driving home in the dark, rain, & fog), and the door and rear quarter panel are dented. Neither of us were hurt. For a small car, the Prelude is a strong sucker. I'm going to drop it off at the body shop maybe this weekend. Great way to start off the holiday weekend. Happy Turkey DaY everyone!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kenjabikenjabi Member Posts: 76
    Ouch, sorry to hear about the accident! At least no one was hurt. Hopefully the body shop can get her (him?) looking like new in no time.

Since I got married a couple months ago, my Prelude has been relegated to mostly the role of commuter car, so my miles are pretty down. My 99 is still under 70K, and might not break that until next year at the rate I'm going. We've been using the wife's new Camry for most of the errands and trips recently.
    My '01 Type SH had just over 37,500 miles as I pulled it into the body shop. Lots of good stuff going on. The accident report was filed by the NYPD's Highway 1 division. They don't get their own accident numbers, so they file the accident reports in the precinct where the accident happened. The spot where I had my accident is inbetween the jurisdiction of 3 precincts, the 42, 43, & 48. I've been calling around trying to get the accident report number! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Speaking of alternative transportation while the Prelude is out of commission, my insurance company reimburses me $30 per day to get a rental car. So I get to enterprise and figure they're going to give me some Chevy Aveo or a Focus. I pull in and there is an F150, a Dodge Dakota, an FX35, an X3, & 2 325i BMWs. I fugure the BMW is the smallest car here so they'll give me a 325i. Pretty sweet! I go insiede and the woamn tells me that I can take one of the pick-up trucks...no thank-you I said. She said that they have a Ford Escape on another lot, so I took it. I'm still trying to figure out the appeal of these things...lol. The V6 has decent pickup, the ride is soft (but not floaty), the seats are firm, the lights and controls are set up like a japanese car, and the steering actually isn't too bad. The interior plastics are cheap and rock hard, the transmission is unresponsive. Have they heard of soft touch material? Oh well, better than nothing:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

how do I post a pic of my Prelude?

anybody home?

Got my car back today... It looks better than the day I picked it up. A good body man is truly and artist.

• timothyawtimothyaw Member Posts: 148
    For awhile no one was posting in this forum. I thought everyone had given it up. I think you are right about the car sitting too much, but I WILL drive it waay more starting next spring. I've noticed that Honda's actually drive better the MORE you drive them.
    I'm going to be taking my car back to the dealer for some 15k service. While I'm there I want to be able to take care of any TSB's that might be out for my year prelude. Is there a website or a list somewhere that I can print out and take with me? Thanks
    It is actually listed somewhere here on edmunds. Poke around a little here and you'll find it.

Took my car in for an oil change and an alignment today. 38,100 miles and still going.

I got an '04 Accord LX as a loaner car. Such a big departure from the mid and late '90's Accords. It drives kinda like a buick. Floaty & way overboosted steering. The ergonomics are all wrong too. They put the radio volume and power button right in the center.

nyccarguy did you ever find out about the timing belt tensioner <sp>? Have you had a problem with that? Did you get it fixed. Even though I don't have the problem now I will at least bring it up when I go to the dealer.

Glad to hear your car is still going strong. I was at the acura dealer the other day and saw the new RL with SH-AWD. I can only imagine what that system is like! It is simply incredible on the Prelude.

As far as the new accords, the outside looks ok until you reach the back, did they just stop or give up on the car LOL. I haven't driven or rode in one, but I heard they are pretty peppy. Talk to you later.
    I had the dealer check it out twice just to make sure. They said everything is OK. At the rate that I'm racking up miles, I'll be changing the timing belt sometime in late '05.

Thats cool, I'll be sure to bring it up to my dearler when I go in. At least here in the midwest old man winter has hibernated for a minute. Suppose to be in the 50's and 60's here. Time to open it up and get those carbon deposits out haha
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A magazine reporter would love to find some folks who've pimped their own rides. He is particularly interested in people who've done this for the first time and were driven to do it, at least in part, from watching a tv show like Pimp My Ride, Overhaulin' or something similar. He is looking for average drivers who are just discovering that they can personalize their rides, and is not as interested in the traditional tuner crowd who've been doing this for years.

If you have a story to share, please send your name, daytime contact info and a line or two about your vehicle to [email protected] by Wednesday, January 5, 2005.

Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Here's the link to look up TSB's for any vehicle.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm
  • automd984automd984 Member Posts: 11
    I'm a teenage driver and i have been researching 1992-1996 Preludes. Anyone who has had a 92-96 lude and would like to give me suggestions, i'll be checking this board often

thanks
    The 1992 - 1996 Prelude is known as the 4th generation. As you know, there were 4 basic iterations of the car: S, Si, 4WS, & VTEC. The 4th generation Prelude handles very well and when mated to a 5-speed manual transmission can be very entertaining to drive. Preludes are safe (they perform well in crash tests) and very reliable (after all, they're Hondas). Obviously the most desirable model would be a low mileage '96 VTEC. But, an Si actually produces more torque and is still a blast to drive. I'd steer clear of any car that has been modified. Do a carfax to see the vehicle's history. Have it checked out by a mechanic.

The S was powered by a 2.2L SOHC I4 engine pumping out 135 horsepower. The S came with hub caps, and I believe NO AC (it was a dealer installed option).

The Si had a DOHC 2.3L I4 producing 160 horsepower. It came with AC and power everything.

The 4WS model adds Honda's electronically controlled 4 wheel steering. This adds significant weight to the car and also would be an expensive replacement if it were to ever go out on you. I believe it was only available in '92 & '93.

The VTEC model was introduced in 1993 (I can't believe that was 12 years ago!) and you got Honda's well praised H22A VTEC motor that makes 190 horsepower. Good for 0-60 in the mid 6 second range. Later years included standard leather and a few more speakers in the stereo.

Now, I'm interested in automatic transmissions. I don't think I could drive a stick and some Si's have auto but more of the S's have them. Now, i'm looking at a 96 online and it looks like the owner got AC installed.

I'll give you the link to the site and I'd like to know if its a good idea. thanks much

mike

http://www.autohopper.com/forsale/auto.asp?MK=Honda&MD=PRELUD- E&PN=2&WI=7458278459
    You're young dude, this is the time to learn how to drive a stick. You'll love it! It just takes practice, you will not regret it! That model you're checking out is an S. However, he's asking A LOT of money for a 9 year old car (I don't care how few miles it has on it) that stickered for less than $20K when it was new. Check out the Si if you're going to go with a slushbox.

yea, especially how it has the 2.2L engine where the Si & VTEC have the 5spd and the slightly bigger 2.3L. I agree with you the 5spd sounds more fun and peppy.

mike
    We've been experiencing frigid temperatures here in the NY metro area. Many morning I've gone out to my car and the temperature is less than 10 degrees F. It was taking a while for my car to turn over about 3 days last week. Saturday AM (It was 0 degrees F) I got in my car and it took a while to "catch," then would immediately stall. Then I turned the key again and the car fired up right away. I figured it is time for a new battery. After work I had a new battery put in. Sunday and Today the same thing happened. I checked the alternator and it is running perfectly. Can I attribute this to cold weather or could there be a bigger problem?

We got socked with a nasty snow storm (12" +) on Saturday afternoon. Driving home from work, my Prelude and its Pilot Alpin 2 snow tires performed magically.

NYC, I'm not a car expert but I believe the horrible weather is giving you problems. The precipitation somehow might have went into the engine.

mike
  • stevenh7stevenh7 Member Posts: 33
    Love them Preludes !! Sold my '97 with 90,000 miles because I figured with the expense of the 90,000 service and the new timing belt, I would be better off selling it (Eucalyptus Green - not a nick or door ding on the car). Sold it and found a '00 with 30,000 miles in the beautiful Crystal Blue Metallic. New tires needed - has the original Bridgestone Potenza RE92. My first priority with the new tires is ride comfort and noise. Next is handling and last is treadwear. Doing some looking on tirerack, I see several All Seasons that are 'V' rated and some that are'W' rated. Would the ride comfort be better in a 'W' because it is a softer tire? Anyway I like the reviews on the BF Goodrich Traction TA/V (205/50/VR16 - 87 V rated) and the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S (205/50/WR16 - 87 W rated). Since tires act differently on different cars, wanted to post this on the Prelude Site. Thanks alot.
    Cool, you're a 2 time 5th gen Prelude owner. Congrats on your new (used) Prelude. How much did you pay? Did you buy from a dealership or private party?

As far as your tire questions go, call up tirerack and ask one of the salespeople. They're very informed and won't just try to sell you the most expensive tire.

If you do a keyword search on this board for tires, you'll come up with a few posts.

Let us know what you come up with.

• chillenhondachillenhonda Member Posts: 105
    I used to own a black 98 Prelude 5-speed. Sold it to move to California. I had put 73K miles on that car, with not one single problem. I regret selling that car; it was definitely the best car Ive ever had.

As Im driving by a dealership, I see a 97 SH in black. Of course, I immediately test drive it. It was tighter than my current 03 Civic, the clutch was strong, and damn, do I miss that VTEC engine and handling. The dealer guy must have thought I was nuts, I was so excited driving it.

Anyways, I could detect nothing wrong with it, but it did have 99K miles, which makes me a bit leery of buying such a high-mileage car. The asking price was $10,700, which is a decent deal, and Im sure I couldve gotten it for around $10K.

Before I sold mine 2 years ago, I had the 90K maintenance priced at about $675, which is a bit steep. Even if that was completed on this car, I was wondering what else occurs on these high-mileage 5th Gen Preludes. I know about the rear shock "knock", and the problems with the auto tranny. From my experience, and nearly all other owners and publications, this is one of the best built cars ever.

Anyone know of problems? Expenses? Things to look out for?
    I have a '98 Prelude base, auto, and haven't heard of the rear shock knock before. However, I have noticed in the past month my Prelude has a knock or thump whenever I move from stop to go. Is this the rear shock knock? What causes it? Can it be fixed?

Thanks,
    Ken
    Well, I switched my winter wheels & tires back for my (beautiful) OEM Type SH rims and (crummy) RE92s. I pumped the tires up to 35 psi and had a blast driving home from work today. I still love the way my car looks. I've got close to 43,000 miles on the odometer. Anybody else still out there? I hoe they don't close us down.

• stuartboniastuartbonia Member Posts: 56
    I'm still out here :)

I have a 98 SH and I'm still having fun with it. It sits for most of the winter but spring is here. 77,000 miles and still brings a smile to my face.

I feel I definately got my money's worth out of this car.
    Today is my 29th birthday. Yesterday I had a Pioneer CD/Radio with SIRIUS tuner installed. I don't know how good it works, because the Radio, Dome Light, Clock, and Power Door Locks (when the car is off) don't work. It is going to be a crummy drive to and from work tomorrow.

• bearbino13bearbino13 Member Posts: 8
    I found a '93 Prelude in mint/brand new condition...it really has been well taken care of. It is a "S" model coupe w/5 speed, 4 cyl, air, sunroof, am/fm cassette, power windows, cruise, tilt, tinted windows. It only has 8,800 miles--yes that's right, eight thousand, eight hundred miles. Owner is asking $12,500 but KBB has private party (PP) value at $5,405 and dealer retail at $7,115. Edmunds TMV has PP at $4,800 and dealer retail at $6,600. I am new to Hondas but thinking about this car for my son who will be driving soon. Would I be stupid to pay more than $6,000. for the car? If not, how much more until I get stupid?
    The Prelude S is a great car for your son as a first car, but not this particular one. The Owner is asking $12,500 for a 12 year old car that only stickered for around $18 grand in 1992?

For around $6K, you could probably find a newer Prelude.

The Prelude S is the least desirable of the 4th gen Preludes due to the fact that it's H22 engine produced a mere 135hp (which is great for your son who is learning how to drive).

Are you sure it is the S and not the Si?

Yes, it is an S model.

So you don't think the low, low miles overrides the age of the car in terms of value?

If I go with a new model Prelude, how many miles is too many for a used Prelude? I hear people talking about the 90,000 mile service....why is that such a big deal?
    Make me very skeptical. :surprise: ..the car was only driven 733 miles per year?

The guy has to be somewhat realistic...he's asking $12,500, you could probably get a 1999 or 2000 Prelude for that. Just for comparison, I was offered $13,900 (by a dealer) for my 2001 Prelude Type SH (rare) in excellent condition with relatively low miles.

Preludes are great cars. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one with 50, 60, 70K+ miles on it as long as the car has been properly maintained. I have 2 good friends that has 92 Prelude Si models, one drove the car to well over 150K miles and the other drove it to 99K miles.

You are correct in that the low mileage does greatly offset the price of the car's age.

Do me a favor...Go to the Smart SHopper menu here on Town Hall and go to the Real World Trade In Values thread. Post your question there. Let me know what Terry says.

The guy is an Air Force Lt Col...gotta trust them! Also, on the add, he says the car was garaged and covered all this time and he only drove it on "special" days...I will check with Terry and get back to you...thanks for your advice.
    So tomorrow (4/27/05) is my car's 3rd Birthday. I've got just under 44,500 miles on my 2001 Milano Red Prelude Type SH and still love it! Where will my car be spending it's 3rd bithday? At the dealership. My car has been squeaking upon startup for a few weeks no (probably a belt needs to be replaced), so I took it in to my dealership to have this minor problem taken care of as well as some other maintenance items Honda advises for 45K miles or 3 years. I'm having the oil and filter changed (Castrol Syntec 5w 30) as well as the brake fluid, ATTS fluid, and an alignment. I was supposed to get the car back today, but the dealer called me and told me there was a problem with the computerized alignment machine, so it will have to be done tomorrow. I told them to keep it until Thursday because I've got to go to the Yankees game tomorrow night.

The Civic they gave me as a loaner is really bad. NO POWER at all, sloppy handling...

from the dealer today. The Prelude feels so tight and quick compared to the Civic I've been driving for the past 3 days.

Every time I start the car, there is a squeak right before the car turns over. The dealer couldn't replicate the problem. I'll have to bring it in again if it persists.

• notnilc64notnilc64 Member Posts: 8
    Hi guys. I'm 16 and new to this forum. New to the Preludes as well. I just got my 99 Prelude a few days ago and I absolutely love it. I'll be sure to check back into this often, and if I have any questions, I know where to turn. :D

-Clinton

Here she is: image
    Congrats on a sweet car. If I couldn't find my '01 SH Prelude in Red, then white was my tied for first color choice.

How many miles are on it? Is your car stick or automatic? How much did you pay? Did you buy from a dealer or private owner?

The Prelude is a great car to have as your first. Just respect it.

Thanks. Around here (Tallahassee, Florida) it's pretty hard to find a Prelude anywhere for sale. In our searching we only came across three, none of them being SH's. This one we really got lucky in finding because it was out of the way from our searches, and my father just suggested we go look at this little dealer. They're partners with a garage that my dad gets most of his car work done at, so he knew and trusted the people. Anyway, it's in great shape with 72,000 miles, automatic, and ended up (after taxes and such) to be right at 12 grand. But yes, as you say, they're great cars and I'll definitely enjoy it for years to come.
  • mrpreludemrprelude Member Posts: 3
    Hey buddy that car looks sweet! I have a 2001 SH model and I really have no complaints. i experienced that rattle coming from the rear shock towers. The Honda dealership changed the bushings that are part of the rear shock assemblies on both sides and so far is noise free. I do have a problem with my sunroof. When opened/tilted, it will rattle when I hit bumps on the road.The glass assembly seems to shudder when i hit bumps. I went back to the dealership and had the sunroof tracts greased, but the problem still persists. The Honda dealership rep told me that I would have to spend $1000 parts and labor to fix the noise. Does this make any sense? Does anyone else out there have this same problem? If so what was done to solve the problem?
    What color is your car? How many miles do you have on it? Where do you live? I've got a Milano Red '01 Type SH that's going to hit the 45K mark tomorrow night on my way home from work.

I don't think your sunroof problem is anything to worry about (much less spend $1000 on). It is just the nature of the design of a sunroof that titls up and sits on top of the roof as opposed to sunroofs that slide into roofs. There will be some rattling and shaking going on. I think it is normal.

• mrpreludemrprelude Member Posts: 3
    My ' 01 Lude is black and is has about 49K miles. i guess that sunroof rattle is pretty normal then. I'm thinking about changing the stock Bridgestones for some different/better rubber. I went on Tirerack.com and viewed the results on the RE 92 tires. They suck in every single category except dry weather handling. Iwas thinking about getting a set of Pirelli P Zero Neros or maybe some Kumho Ecsta ASX. Both are supposed to offer all-weather traction, are more affordable than the stock OEMs and scored higher in the surveys. Check it out for yourself. I just can' t seem to decide what tire to get. I don't think I ever heard of the Kumho brandname before and I've been car crazy since I was seven years old. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Does synthetic oil really make a difference? Is it really worth the extra$? I heard that synthetic oils last longer and can be changed every 6 months. Is this true?
  • jimftworthjimftworth Member Posts: 4
    I am lucky enough to own one of the first Preludes, a 1979 model, VIN SNF00007425. I drive it to work, 50 miles round trip, nearly every day. It still runs great at 362,000 miles. My car seldom has any problems, just normal maintenance item, after nearly 27 years of ownership. I have been accumulating original parts as I can find them to get ready for an complete restoration. I have already completely rebuilt the suspension and brakes systems. Many original parts are still available on the internet. My main source is Majestic Honda.com, who sells factory parts at a 25 % discount (but still pretty expensive), and for any year or model Honda. Later this summer or even during the winter (the winter isn't bad in Texas), my plan is to totally disassemble the car and restore it to as like new as possible with an engine and transmision overhaul, sandblast the engine compartment, new wiring harnesses, complete paint job inside and out, new interior, everything. It is going to be repainted its original strange shade of red, which I don't prefer, but it should be what is orignally was. I can do it all myself. This is a great car and an head turner. Pretty neat, huh ??
    Your car sounds amazing, and yes, you are definitely lucky.

Think you could post a pic here?
    Nice car! Definitely post pics if you can.

Saying the stock bridegstones suck is an understatement. A good set of Z rated, high performance tires are probably one of the best way to improve the Prelude's already great handling. Kuhmo isn't a mainstream brand like Michelin or Pirelli, but they are well known on the autocross and racing circut. If you're having trouble deciding, call tire rack up and ask the person on the phone. They're very knowledgeable. I'm thinking my OEM tires will last until next season, so I'm thinking of going Kuhmo though.

You change your oil by the month or mileage? I've been using synthetic oil ever since my first service. Started off using Mobil 1, but then switched to Castrol Syntec (full synthetic). I like the Castrol MUCH better. I think Synthetic protects better and conventional on high revving engines like the H22A in our Preludes.