Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• dorene1dorene1 Member Posts: 75
    It helps so much to get the inside story from owners!

There's some great incentives on until Jan. 1 - 6,000 off MSRP on TB with 3 yrs 0 financing, and I'm finding invoice plus $500 on Envoy with 5 years at 0, and 3 mos. no payment.

We're probably going to focus on Envoy, as we're looking to trade a Rendevouz, and the GM dealer we've used for service has been great, as is the vehicle, but the RDV turned out to be way too small in the third row for full size high schoolers I transport.

The one feature that RDV's have that is missing from Envoy/TB is the built in sensor for parking. Has anyone installed these aftermarket? It's a great feature, more useful than I imagined - takes all the stress out of parallel park.

Redline65 - there's alot of 4wd Envoy's out here - don't know if you can dealer trade from Northern CA to Texas - if so, you'll have your choice with the features you mentioned -

Happy Holidays and New Year to everyone!
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    which is a compromise between the "old-school" 3000 miles and the newer technology of improved oils and filters and oil life monitors that purport to tell you how hard you're using the oil.

I just didn't want to go to 100% (about 11,500 miles for me). I change it myself and if I watch for sales it only costs about $12 for a change. Awfully small compared to the price of an engine.
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    7 quarts of oil and a filter for $12???
    What are you using?
  • xntrickxntrick Member Posts: 27
    May be a series of dumb questions here so apologies if that's the case. Oil change over the weekend and the oil (Mobil 1) was pretty dirty. 5500 miles in between last change (did not intend for it to be that long). Oil sensor light had just come on but it was still pretty black. Only have 11000 miles on it. I did the CAI revisision referenced here and elsewhere... do you think opening up the front of the air box (literally scooped out the guts and cut out the front of the box letting air flow in directly) and exposing the KN air filter contributed to this (if so I'll be getting a new box and just scooping out the 'innerds').

The other thing is that I know we are to use 7 quarts. The Walmart folks swear they put in 6 and that it was full on the dipstick. Perhaps they miscounted the quarts they put in because as I look at the dipstick it is past the stamped F and almost into the little dimple above the F mark. Is it possible that they did only put in 6 and that it registers that high on the stick?
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Perhaps in the interest of time the Wal-Mart folks didn't completely drain all of your old oil.
  • envoyownerenvoyowner Member Posts: 42
    The title sounds ominous - really not that bad, just interested in your opinion.

SAFETY INSPECTION: Inspector "buzzed" over the car in just a few minutes, then announced to me that it failed because of headlight alignment. He said, "this is common in new cars (they don't check it) and I can fix it for 6 bucks". No thanks, I'll take it to the dealer. Has anyone else experienced this? Of course, he stated 2 or 3 times what a nice truck it is! and it is!

STEERING: My Envoy has 13,000 miles on it. I've noticed recently that there is a "rubbing" feeling in the front end (steering). Makes you think of a bearing or misalignment of some sort. It is on the driver's side. Has anyone else experienced this? Doesn't seem as smooth straight-away as it did; also noticed a pronounced "bind" when turning.

SUSPENSION: Each time I start the car, the "load leveling suspension" does it's thing (you can hear it and actually see the rear of the car raising). Yes, I know, that's what it's for and it makes for a great ride. But, is this normal (to happen with every start and periodically while I'm driving....conditions unchanged)?

Very happy with my Envoy!
    "7 quarts of oil and a filter for $12???
    What are you using?"

Another thing I decided long ago and have stuck to is to buy the cheapest oil I can find that meets the latest SAE standard. I would rather have less expensive oil and relatively frequent changes than vice versa. My theory is that blow-by, mechanical particles and other "additions" to the oil occur regardless what oil you're using and a change takes care of that.
    You can get into days-long discussions about what oil is best, including the my brother-in-law's cousin's wife's uncle used to work for xyz who found brand x sludging after just y miles, etc. I prefer an objective standard and test such as the SAE rating.

Last quite a few changes (across 4 vehicles) have been Wal-Mart Fram filters at $2.49 and Wal-Mart house brand oil at approximately $11.00 for a half-case of 12. My theory is that Wal-Mart (or other house brands) obviously isn't refining oil so the oil is produced by one of the large oil companies, meets the same standard, and is sold cheaply due to no advertising, volume, etc.
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    Well guys, a year and 14K Miles later, I'm happy to report that I'm still very pleased with the Bravada. Besides the initial TSB stuff... I've had little to no problems with it! I do see they have the fix for the electrical outlit lip on the center console interfering with the folded rear seat though, so I'm going to have them fix that!

For Oil changes, I've been going about 5000 miles, and I switched to Mobil 1 on the first change (2700 miles). Oil takes exactly 7 quarts, doesn't burn any noticeable amount in 5K, and is dark amber (still transparent) upon drain.

I also swapped out the rear diff. fluid for Mobil 1 when I did my 2nd oil change (8K)to clean out the original metal shavings from the gears settling.

I did the K&N filter mod as well, running a semi modded airbox, similar to what tlauro did, and it definitely makes a difference!

I plan on keeping this vehicle for at least the 5yr/60K bumper to bumper warranty period, but if she holds up as well as she's been doing, I may keep her a lot longer than that!
    "I did the K&N filter mod as well, running a semi modded airbox, similar to what tlauro did, and it definitely makes a difference!"

Do you notice any increase in noise (air induction) running the K&N filter with the modified box? The full kit (open filter) supposedly is quite a bit louder.
  • xntrickxntrick Member Posts: 27
    I watch them change my oil and filter every time I go in there. I go out and visit with the "lads" as they change everything and we talk shop! Regards.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    As per spec page I saved : Peak HP at 6,000 RPM, WOT upshift at 6,100 RPM, RPM limiter at 6,300 RPM.
    I kind of hate to jump into a new engine. I did this a few years ago with my '99 Intrigue's 3.5L DOHC V6 that is no longer produced. Does anyone know what the longevity of this engine will be like and will it be utilized in other GM applications? I know the 5.3L is available on the XL, but we're already at our budget's limit with the Envoy XL we are looking at.
    The l6 on the triplets is so quiet to begin with, any changes to intake/exhaust are going to be noticeable. At idle, you'll hear very little or no difference, since even the restrictive air box was able to provide adequate airflow. The more throttle you give it though, the more of a difference you'll hear! It has a very appealing roar once you get up above 4K rpm's! Throttle response is much crisper throughout the range, but again, you feel it more at higher rpm's. It does make an immediate difference off the line though. There used to be a latency from when you'd give it gas to when you'd feel the engine surge. That is all but gone now! Now, if only I can find a nice aftermarket exhaust that doesn't drain the bank as much as the Borla...
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    #9332 Re: $12 Oil Change? by st1100v4

I agree 100% with that one!

And for the other post, I assume you meant 1,100 miles, not 11,000 miles; right?

Heck, anything would be dirty after that long. Who cares if the oil itself hasn't broken down, it is dirty and contaminated!!!
  • yatesdyatesd Member Posts: 60
    Redline65,

The technology this engine uses is really advanced and it will be the basis of a four & five cylinder variations used in the next generation small pickups.

http://media.gm.com/division/powertrain/index.html

Go to this link and look for the 4.2L archived press kit for more info.

• kimodokimodo Member Posts: 44
    The other car I have now is a 1998 accord with over 60k miles and headlight are doing fine. Doesn't have daytime running. The other one I had was a 1993 mazda protege with over 150k miles and still had the original headlights. No daytime running again.
    Glad to hear that it is covered under warranty. I have to say though, I switch the drls off all the time when I drive. I never leave them on, so I don't knnow if this affects it at all. I thought I read on this board that others do that as well. Kinda bother me though that it's just the right one, and that someone other than me had a problem with the right one as well. Also, it was commented that the dealer repaired 3 of them recently too. Anyne have the left one go out?
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    Any idea what the HP and torque payback is for the K&N filter and airbox mod? From my perspective, any HP is good HP as long as it gets produced at a usable RPM
    Any impact on gas milage??
    Any impact on warrantee??

If it is adds so much, why not sell the truck with the engine this way? You would think they could mold the airbox this way for no additional cost plus the filter would be next to a "0" upcharge
    I'm guessing GM didn't open the air box more, simply because doing so would require more servicing of the air filter (ie more exposed to the elements = more dirt stuck to the filter). You know the deal 100K spark plugs, coolant, etc... In reality, it's probably only a 5hp or so gain, but it definitely makes the engine breath easier. I've never seen a vehicle ship with a K&N stock filter. Not quite sure why though, since they've long been heralded as the champion in air filter technology. As far as warranty claims go, under Magnuson-Moss, they'd have to prove that any modifications were the direct cause of the problem. They'd have a tough time though, since the K&N forms a tight seal around the intake tube and could be run open air!
  • crj1crj1 Member Posts: 70
    Things are not what they always seem....Your Dodge Avenger was made by Mitsubishi in a Mitsubishi plant, it was the same car as an Eclipse including the same interior and dashboard design.
    Kind of slow on the board today. Anyways, we are supposed to take delivery of our '03 Envoy XL this afternoon. Anything in particular I need to look for during the inspection?
  • baredoggbaredogg Member Posts: 32
    MERRY CHISTMAS / HOLIDAY WISHES to all posters for great information in the last year to you and yours all the best in this festive season.
  • dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    I can tell you on my TB, the tires were 40 psi, the trans was almost 1 qt low, after warmed up! and the dreaded and argumentative, at the time, backward roof rack bars. Good luck with new truck, very nice riding comfortable vehicle.
  • baredoggbaredogg Member Posts: 32
    Well with all the updates completed as necessary we are happy campers nice ride lots a power then the failure a left front wheelbearing went just slight vibration in gear out of gear but worse on a right turn attempt, Off to dealer wheelbeaing gone no problem till he looked up part number and gasped 1100 bucks cdn for part. Don't need many of these failures at 33987 miles
  • m2icemanm2iceman Member Posts: 27
    I have a mono amp for a sub box that I would like to install to my TB. The amp has speaker inputs, so I dont need a converter. The thing is, I looked at the head unit and dont know if I can get it apart without some help. Dont wanna ruin the surrounding area or head unit. I have a Bose setup. In talking with the Tweeter installer, he informed me it would take him 4-5 hours to complete the install. I did some installs in my time and think 4-5 hours is a long time for a wire tap off and wire run. Is there something about the Bose I'm not aware of? I would think its a matter or taking apart the dash or assembly and pulling the unit out to get to the wires in the back. I can tap off the door speakers, but then I would have to run the wires through the door hose connector. Any help would be appreciated.
    dshepherd3 - how can I tell if the roof rack bars are backwards?
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    Merry Christmas to you all!

(Sounds like a great present to yourselves, redline!)

God Jul is the Swedish for Feliz Navidad or something like that.

P.S. I bet the hosts can point you to that car buying checklist somewhere.
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    I wonder if the right headlight problem (?) may be as simple as the installer holding the bulb with bare hands. Halogen bulbs must not be handled with bare hands. Doing so will leave skin oils on the bulb. This will lead to premature failure. I had the right headlight fail also. When I replaced it I also replaced the left side, so as to have 2 equal bulbs in place. The new bulbs have been in place for 8 months now. The original lasted only 2 months.

Merry Christmas

Frank
    Other than coincidence, I don't see any reason why the right headlight would burn out faster. The left and right headlights are connected in parallel to the same source - the headlight control module. ( I have been studying the headlights and DRL system) As far as longevity, lamps are rated in hours, but that will vary with the voltage and how hot they run. You are helping save the lamp life when you turn off the DRLs, especially if you turn them off before you put it in gear so they never come on. Still looking for a permanent way to turn mine off unless I want them on. The '03s have a nice new DRL-off position on the headlight switch. Good for one cycle, but beats the heck out of pushing the dome-override 4 times. If the darn DRLs did not run at app'x 90% of full brightness I would not be so concerned about the DRL system shortening the hours of normal headlight use when I need them at night.
  • offroad57offroad57 Member Posts: 11
    bet this won't happen again.went on a 250 mi.round trip in my trailblazer,10 mi.on narrow country road,20 mi.on 2 lane highway,80 mi.on interstate,15 mi.in city.got 22 mi per.gal.let my brother drive back exact same route.got exactly 22mi.per.gal.i do believe i drove there 15 min.faster than he drove back.didn't time it though.merry christmas to all.
  • bradrx7bradrx7 Member Posts: 29
    Looks like Jet Performance followed through on their promise and has two stages of upgrades for our engines. Look at their website http://www.jetchip.com for info. I plan to get one of these after speaking with them after the holidays. Power good, need more. <grin>

Happy holidays, folks...

brad barber

peace. love. track.

Hi there,
    First off, headlamp. I didn't know that you could turn off the DRLS before you put the car in gear. I have been turning them off after putting the car in gear. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe the constant on off had something to do with it?
    As for the amp install. I replaced the head unit myself. It's a pain, since you have to take the dash apart, but no where near 4-5 hours. I bet he just wants tweet a little money out of you. :) I did my head unit install in about 2 hours, and that's including all the soldering of the wires to the wiring harness. Like I said though, it was a pain compared to other vehicles where you don't need to take the dash apart.
    One caveat is that I did not have the bose system, so I don't know what's involved with that. I'm assuming the dash disassembly would be the same. Then you'd just find the speaker wires and hook that up to the inputs from the amp. Hope that helps.
    haha,
    I've notice that you posted this question on the sounddomain forum as well. That's a great place as well. If I can find my notes, I'll post step by step on here. Like I said, it was a pain, but doable.
    See post 9313 for specs. Build date is 10/02. No charge on the 3.73 rear axle. Guess I missed the cut-off. It is one sweet truck. The magnetic red metallic really looks good with the polished aluminum wheels. One question - how do you guys keep the spare tire from being stolen? It looks like you can just unscrew it and take it.
    kimodo after I start the engine and still in park, I press the dome button 4 times and hear the chime sound to veriify they're off. One thing I have not figured out how to duplicate yet - occasionally I will get the chime after just TWO presses of the dome button,

amp install .... If you have the Bose there is a seperate amplifier mounted elsewhere in the vehicle - not at the head unit.

Can't wait for a thorough review on that Jet chip!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's a couple of messages that link to new vehicle delivery checklists. The overinflated tire issue seems to be the most common oversight by the dealer prep people.

twylie "Jeep Wrangler" Oct 1, 2001 7:26am

billg7 "Honda Odyssey" Feb 8, 2001 7:27pm

Steve, Host
  • richardcoulsonrichardcoulson Member Posts: 88
    m2iceman, the amplifier for the bose system is located behind the plastic panels in the cargo area above the rear right wheel. You should be able to tap into these amp wires for you sub amp.

The tweeter install is easy. Mid to smaller 3.5" tweeters will easily fit with just a little minor trimming. I have 3.5" coaxals in my front dash.
  • milehighjcmilehighjc Member Posts: 3
    Our 2003 Silver Green TB EXT is now almost two months old, and already is pushing 6K miles (one long trip from CO to PA). It also is going to see another 2K at least here in the next few weeks. So far, we are very happy with it - I was amazed at how comfortable it was with all four kids loaded up for the long trip. We managed almost 18mpg over the entire trip with a full load, and bucking 30+mph headwinds on the return trip. It was easy to drive, even in fairly windy conditions. We also had the opportunity to test the 4WD is a good snowstorm in PA - very competent even in hills and curves.

The only issues we have seen so far was a rattle in the driver door (resolved at first visit to dealer), and one instance of the air bag warning light coming on (this resolved itself after shutting off the engine and restarting).

On the whole, a very nice truck. Hope Im still as happy after the next long trip. In any case, we are going to have to find a way to keep the mileage down - hard to believe we have put on so many miles so fast :-)
  • m2icemanm2iceman Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the info about the amp install. I will have to take a look near the rear wheel for the stock amp. Hopefully mine is in the same area. If so then it shouldnt be too hard to get it done. As far as the 4-5 hour install, I figure it was a bunch of BS. They were only charging about $55 for the install, with $30 for the wiring kit. I can get the kit and do it myself.

Kimodo: If you do have the instuctions, would be helpful, just in case.

M2Iceman@Aol.com

• bowdon51bowdon51 Member Posts: 9
    I have been looking through this discussion. I didn't read all 9000+ messages, but one caught my attention. I'm with redline, I am not to big into new things that have not been tried, in particular a gm engine that has a six and produces 275 horses. I am one of those that grew up with gm products. Everybody knows the vehicles will run forever but you need to know somebody that works on them. And from the sounds of this engine, german mechanics won't have nothing on the people that's going to have work on these. I have a 92 blazer with the 4.3 vortec. When they first came out with this engine everybody talked about how great the engine is and I must say I have been pretty pleased at 200,000 miles. No smoke no burning oil, just leaking gaskets (cheap to replace). The biggest cost I have had was the replacement of the fuel injection at 160,000 only cost 900 bucks to replace. I also have a e320 benz and it cost 600+ dollars for a tune up. I say all this for one reason. I want a good truck to replace my old truck. Gas prices are changing daily, therefore the gm full size trucks with normal sounding performance is not as high on my list as a year and a half ago. With my blazer one window works the radio sounds like junk and it squeaks worst than a bed in a cheap motel, but I can depend on it to get me from point a to point b without stopping at a and a half on the way. I want a minimum of 8 years out of a car and I don't want to replace an engine at 50,000 or have to rob a bank to keep it maintained at high mileage. Bottom line some of you guys out their know is this truck going to be good or not. What's it going to be?
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    so far so good. 17k on my odo and about to do oil change #2. I've been a GM guy all my life, growing up in the biz too.

I've had a huge number of cars from GM with very little if any long term care concerns. I'm a little different though as I only really perform the necessary maint when needed. I've never been the 3k oil, 30k tranny or 15k tune up type owner. My last three cars NOT in my possesion are still going strong and have no issues. I maintain contact with the owners who are here locally.

I only know of a few Triplets with over 40k and haven't heard any issues, but that's hardly long term.

My wifes E-320....40k and nothing but oil changes. All is solid as a rock and typical Mercedes quality. We're selling it this week to get something fun for summer.

Good Luck

tim
    Thanks for that info. That's what I'm looking for as far as good info. The website is great. I haven't seen many with that much detailed info, GM should consider you as a online resource. And for those that may think I hate GM products, I don't. But as a GM owner, you just know certain things go with the territory.Tim would you just avoid the autoclimate control,that's seems like one of those GM things you just avoid. More info from others if it's out there. And thanks again Tim the info really helps with my choice.
  • cparisecparise Member Posts: 33
    I owe my allegiance to GM to my brother who was a GM engineer for over 25 years. He was very meticulous and I trusted his work. My brother who died unexpectedly at 48 two years ago was overall project manager for the new 4.2 engine. He was known and respected by one of GM's chief engineers Don Miles who also died just last year at an early age.
    I bought an '02 Envoy XL SLT because I always wanted an SUV and I thought it would be great to have something that my brother last worked on. Probably sounds corny.
    Anyway, I've been very happy with my Envoy and it seems very solid enough to last a long time. The engine seems especially robust, smooth, and quiet. But, since I financed for 5 years I bought an extended and improved warranty so I wouldn't have to pay for an unexpected repair while still making payments.
    Chris
    It's not corny, sorry to hear of the lost and prayers are with you. This is the type info I wanted and maybe many more consumers want the same. Not stats, but real life in my gut thought, I think this truck will be fine over the long haul or it won't. Thanks guys.
    I'm considering an extended warranty for my new Envoy XL. Warranty Gold quoted me $1126 for the 7/70 new diamond plan with zero deductible. They also said they would throw in tire protection package (up to $150 to replace damaged tire). I can get the GM Major Guard at employee pricing, but I'm not sure which plan is better. Anyone have opinions on which plan is best?
    I have almost 12,000 miles in 11 months. I have had no problems with my Envoy. It hasn't been near the service shop since I took delivery. I can't be sure how well it will hold up for the long hall, but you can usually tell early on if you're going to have problems.

I have every option, except the load leveling suspension and DVD. The auto climate works flawlessly. I had a '98 Bravada that had several problems, including the auto climate. GM's not perfect, but I believe they've come a long way since my first one (1975 T/A).
    I would go with GM. The pricing should be comparable, or less, and you won't have any claim issues.
    I paid $640 for 5 years, or 60,000 miles. I'm curious to know what employee pricing is. I was first quoted $1K. After convincing the finance guy I didn't want coverage, he showed me what he said was employee cost ($550). He really wanted to sell it, so after some negotiating we settled on $640. I hope I never need it, but I feel more secure that I have it.
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    I've had my Envoy since 9/1/01 and have 15K miles on it. Overall I've been very happy with the performance and comfort.

However back in August, it started stalling when stopped at traffic lights. The PCM was replaced after an error code was read from the computer. Then just 2 weeks ago it stalled twice, same situation, but no error codes. It's been at the dealer now for over a week waiting for a new throttle body. Service advisor says he hasn't seen any throttle bodies go out before. Hopefully this is just a fluke.
  • cparisecparise Member Posts: 33
    Under GMS I bought the 100,000 mile GM Major Guard and extended warranty for $1820. This should cover me for the life of my loan since I average driving 20K mile/yr. Sounds like a lot but for me it's peace of mind. Can't remember for sure but non-GMS pricing was about $200 higher.
    Envoy XL SLT build date 5/02 now with 11K miles is/has been running flawlessly. I ordered because I wanted Polo Green, did not want a sunroof (tired of sunburned head and wife was always annoyed by it anyway), and did not want polished wheels (very pleased with looks of factory aluminum wheels). Other options I got included Bose (like music then get this), air-suspension (have it on our '98 Transport, its fantastic), locking diff, running boards, 1SF.
    Chris
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    i have a 03 trailblazer ls 2wd 1 question when im in cruise cntrl why does the engine sound like its vibrating? a little bit not alot. its only when im in cruise cntrl. i said 1 question but its 2 what kind of gas should i use in this vortec engine? whats inline cynlinders? thanks
  • pete2002pete2002 Member Posts: 36
    For the vibration problem, you might want to review post #8740. It has the Technical Bulletin concerning some of the vibration experiences others have experienced like you. As far as grade of gas, 87 octane is all you need.

Inline means the cylinders are all in line versus the old V configuration used before where three cylinders were located on each side of the engine. This engine has them all in line, thus no V shape. Suppposedly, it can deliver more power and maintain it's low noise level. Others may chime in on the pros and cons.