Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• kyleemmakyleemma Member Posts: 5
    like many of you i am now having the hardshift problem on my 04 mpv,with 4000miles.so that i dont have to search through all of the hard shift post i need info about the reflash so i can take the info with me to the dealer on friday.this way if they say its normal or if there is no fix i can give them the info so they can call mazda. thanks in advance.
  • lazyfoxlazyfox Member Posts: 90
    Here is the info, if you are within the VIN range, they have to reflash your TCM no questions ask according to the TSB.

US BULLETIN No: 05-003/04
    DATE: 05/2004
    CAN BULLETIN No: N/A
    MODEL: Mazda MPV
    YEAR: 2003-2004
    AFFECTED VINs: JM3 LW28** 30 367822 - JM3 LW28** 40 518096
    SUBJECT: Mazda Special Program (MSP03) - Shift Shock - Transmission Control Module (TCM) Reflash
    DETAILS:

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2003 - 2004 MPV vehicles built from April 1, 2003 through January 26, 2004
    2003 VIN Range: JM3LW28**30367822 - 378984
    2004 VIN Range: JM3LW28**40500013 - 518096

DESCRIPTION

The vehicle's automatic transaxle (ATX) may exhibit shift shock while the engine warms from cold to normal operating temperature. The symptom is intermittent, it does not occur all the time. The shift shock usually occurs during 1-2 or 2-3 upshifts, or 3-2 part throttle downshifts.

In most cases, the cause of the shift shock is from the TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM) software calibration. A new software calibration is available on ESI to correct the shifting concerns.

NOTE:
    UNDER THE MAZDA SPECIAL PROGRAM (MSP03), ALL CURRENT DEALER INVENTORY AND RETAILED VEHICLES FOUND TO BE WITHIN THE ABOVE VIN RANGES, AND PRODUCED BETWEEN APR. 1, 2003 THROUGH JAN. 26, 2004, MUST BE INSPECTED AND REPAIRED ACCORDING TO THE INSTRUCTIONS CONTAINED IN THIS SERVICE BULLETIN.
    BEFORE PERFORMING ANY REPAIR, VALIDATE THAT THE VEHICLE IS APPLICABLE TO THIS PROGRAM BY PERFORMING AN "eMDCS WARRANTY VEHICLE INQUIRY" AND VERIFYING THE VEHICLE DISPLAYS CAMPAIGN "MSP03". SEE "VEHICLE INSPECTION PROCEDURE" BELOW.

DEALER INVENTORY:

Inspect and repair all current dealer inventory according to the procedures contained in this service bulletin.

RETAIL VEHICLES:

When a retail vehicle is brought into the dealer for any type of repair or scheduled maintenance, inspect and repair the vehicle according to the procedures contained in this service bulletin.
  • kyleemmakyleemma Member Posts: 5
    WOW!!
     TALK ABOUT THE MOTHER LOAD OF INFORMATION!!THANK YOU SO MUCH, I WILL MAKE A COPY AND TAKE IT WITH ME ON FRIDAY.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    where did you get that information? :-)

-Brian
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    I especially like the part about how they're supposed to do that to all vehicles in inventory. Yeah, right. My '04 LX falls in the VIN range for both the transmission TSB and the airbag "stop shipment" recall, and my dealer didn't do either of them.

By the way, does anyone know what the deal is with rectangular hole in the carpet on the right side of the driver's footwell? My dealer claims all their MPVs have this, but you'll excuse me if I don't take his word for it...

-Jason
    That hole is an air vent, take a look on the passenger left side, it is there too.

BTW subearu, the info is from MPVClub
    Thanks. Kinda strange that they just left it unfinished like that, so you can see into the guts of the console.

-Jason
  • ascott4ascott4 Member Posts: 3
    New 2004 have a very good and appealing cash back ($3500) right now. We purchased our new 2004 MVP LX for $21,900 Whitewater Pearl...awscott4
  • ascott4ascott4 Member Posts: 3
    I agree with JIPSTER...A lemon does come out of the factory every once in awhile. But, 1, 2, and 3 problems are small compared to what some owners go through with domestic cars. Face it, American cars are still behind the 8-ball in quality workmanship. I use to swear I would never buy foreign cars....that is in the past and I am older and have been burned too many times by American made cars. It's my hard earned money and I want the best for what I spend....awscott4
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    for an answer on how to determine if my '02 LX has a cabin air filter. We received a "free" coupon for a cabin air filter (you just pay the labor, mind you)from Mazda and it seems to indicate VIN numbers before and after with a cabin air filter. However, I can't find any information in the owners manual or elsewhere.

In my Subaru, it is located behind the glove box. Anyone know where to look on the MPV?

John
    The air filter is behind the glove box. If you can get the filter from the dealer for free, do the install yourself. If not, just buy the filter and do the install yourself too, as it will be for sure cheaper than what dealer woyuld charge you for that. Those filters go for $21-$25 at the dealer or from online parts stores. if you need info on how to change it, go to MPVClub and search in forums for "cabin filter" , don't forget to check the "Search for all terms" radio button. Have your VIN ready while ordering or buying the filter, there was a mid year change. Older 02s have one piece and newer 02s have two piece with frame filter.
    lazy, thanks for the info. The "coupon" requires dealer install, so I think I will pick it up online. Can you steer me to a cheap online Mazda OEM dealer, or an aftermarket company?

John
    Try mazdastuff or mazdapartspeople Make sure you include your VIN with the order to see what filter you need. Or take a look in your MPV and see what filter part you have. If it's the single element filter witth no frame, it is LC74-61-P11 and if it's two element filter with plastic frame, it is LDY4-61-J6X
    thx again. I will send them off an e-mail and see what they can do.

I had two recall notices yesterday, the PCV hose and ECM unit. I guess I will need to make my way into the dealer, I will send in my "free" cabin air filter coupon and check on installation cost.

John
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    I received a Special Service Program notice yesterday. One to have the fan control module replaced, the other to replace the PVC hose on my '03 LX. Have any of you received these notices?
    Yep, got the 2 notices for our MPV as well. Had the PCV replaced (warranty) a couple months ago, but I believe not with the 'new' improved part. So, we'll have to get it replaced again.

-Brian
    The dealer couldn't get it in right away so Mazda paid for a rental. A Ford Freestar.

Oh my.

The Freestar absolutely blows. No comparison at all to the MPV. I rented a Windstar with the gasket blower 3.8 V6 years back and it was actually an OK van. Gobs of torque and reasonably well put together. So I was surprised how much I disliked the new model.

This Freestar had the 3.9 V6 and was a slug. It sucked gas like the dickens, too. Everything in that van felt like it was a good yank away from breaking off. My wife mentioned that it felt like a "Fisher-Price" car. While the 3 Zone A/C was nice, it was so weak that the 3 zones were hot, hotter, and sweltering. Interior panels were coming loose left and right. The handling was awful. On an onramp I take at close to 80 in the MPV I could barely do 60. And once when I had to slow down quickly to make a turn the ABS kicked in almost immediately on a dry road. Incredible. And there was an intermittent, high pitched whining / moaning coming from the back of the van. No, it wasn't my kids ;-) It sounded for all the world like the fuel pump crapping out. All this on a van with 4k miles.

I read a review of the MPV - I think it was in Autoweek - where they mentioned that Ford should stop selling the Freestar and just rebadge the MPV. Now I can see why.

-Jason
  • kpostlerkpostler Member Posts: 3
    MPV owners: I'm considering a 2003 MPV ES that my local dealer says was lost on an offsite storage lot. The vehicle, silver, has 112 miles and is fully loaded and beautiful. Cost: $21,000, sold as a brand-new car. Does this story sound strange? How can a dealer lose a car? Knowing what you know about your cars, would any of you make such a transaction? Any recommendations? I'm at an impasse and would appreciate your thoughts!
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Yes, it does sound strange. But, it only has 112 miles...which would leave me to believe it probably is legit. If you are really worried about it you could get an independent mechanic to look at it.It has been "sitting around" for a year or two so I probably would want someone to take a look at it. Sounds like a great deal though. I'm assuming you would be getting the full 4 year warranty? Please get back with us and let us know how it turns out. Anyone else with any ideas on the matter?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Thanks for getting back, Jipster. Yes, the 4-year warranty starts when the deal is signed. What about recall considerations? I will grill my sales guy tonight about the ever-present hard shift and reflash remedy I've been reading about on these pages. I also have a Mazda corporate associate looking up the vehicle's VIN for any possible issues. Would love to hear comments from others!!!
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    I think $21k is a bit high for something that is 2 years old the second you drive it off the lot.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • kinkokinko Member Posts: 48
    Totally agree with the commments made regarding the transmission, and the ride.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    Checking with the Mazda associate is an excellent idea. I'd also request a Carfax report at no cost to you. Also have the build date of the vehicle checked out by the rep from the VIN to see if it really has been "lost" for that long.

My instinct tells me 1) more likely than not there is more to the dealer's story based on the fact that,in situations like this, there is almost -always- more to the dealer's story; 2) that isn't necessarily a reason not to get the vehicle if it appears to be in mint condition; and 3) you are completely in the driver's seat on a such a vehicle with regard to price, and, if you are satisfied it's OK, should make a lowball offer (18.5K?) to see the reaction. If 21K is the dealer's first number, I would not pay that under these circumstances.

If the dealer holds fast on price, and you still want it, I would absolutely express "reservations" about the vehicle's history and require them to throw in an extended warranty at no cost to you.
    Lumbar, thanks for your comments. Mazda associate checked the VIN and all appears well, according to him (friend of family): dealer took delivery 8/03 and the vehicle had one warranty claim (recall service) in Feb. '04. Dealer wouldn't budge on $21,000 so negotiating for an extended warranty is a great idea. I'm also going to ask the dealer to change the oil and other fluids. I'm going in around 7:30 Pacific time. Wish me luck ...
  • avelectroavelectro Member Posts: 9
    I wish the testers writing this review had taken their test vehicle back to the dealer and complained about it rather than just writing about their problems. My 2004 MPV ES has a silky-smooth drivetrain with more power than I've ever needed and has received compliments from normally critical passengers.
    I compared against the Odyssey and Sienna and found the Honda to feel bulky and bus-like while the Toyota seemed cushy but mushy. I think they are both high-content vehicles that the majority of American families will appreciate more than I but neither gave as much driving pleasure as the MPV tall wagon that fits my needs and garage so well.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    I've driven both the Ody & Sienna (I also own a Sienna). They both are "glide" vans, smooth and quiet - but bulky. I guess it comes down to your driving desires, when & where you drive. In my case the MPV is my every day transportation on the highway driving 30 - 70 mph - fighting traffic. I deem my '01 as the fighter aircraft buzzing around the Ody & Sienna bombers.
  • joyelysejoyelyse Member Posts: 21
    My husband and I stopped off and drove the MPV again after a poor test drive of the new Ford Freestyle (see the “help me choose a wagon” thread if you're interested). My husband and I really like the MPV. I just wish that Mazda would offer a few more of those creature comforts (like memory seats). The biggest drawback for me is the lack of curtain air bags. Though controversial, they seem like a good idea to me.

In my quest for a family car, I'm leaning toward the MPV or the Passat Wagon. I really like the option of having the third row, but so far the MPV is the only vehicle with a third row that I've liked. The reviews all over have been lackluster, but I don't know if that matters.

Has anyone gotten a sneak peak at the new Odyssey? Now that rear windows go down, I'm going to try it. I've never been a fan of Honda, but I've read the handing is pretty good. Y'all seem to feel it does not measure up to the MPV’s handling?

Joy Elyse
  • mmmmmm Member Posts: 6
    I'm seriously considering finally trading in my '91 Toyota Previa (108,000 miles and still mechanically sound, but safety wise quite possibly a deathtrap with no front end protection-engine is under seat- and no side airbags) for a safer van. As I like to drive, I know the MPV ranks near the top in the minivan fun-to-drive (an oxymoron if there ever was one!) category, and I plan on taking a test drive in a few days. I'm still a little concerned about the what now appears to be remedied transmission programming glitch. I plan on keeping the van for at least 5-6 years. I just would like to be reassured a little bit that reliability wise, the MPV is going to do ok. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
    Seems to be pretty much quiet about the transmission hard shift, I suppose that the latest fix took care of it on majority of the cars. Our 02 wasn't reflashed yet, but I didn't experienced that funky shift for long time now.
    I wouldn't worry about the "transmission glitch" . I believe any MPV with a born on date after Feb of 2004 was manufactured without this prob. Reliability wise the MPV ranks as reliable or more so than the Toyota or Honda. The MPV is made in Japan...superior workmanship.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    The Odyssey is a bigger "minivan" than the MPV.The general view of most reviewers seems to be that bigger is better. I suppose it just matters what is most important to you. I didn't think it(the Odyssey) handled as well as the MPV...though it does handle very well.The MPV does have a 5 star saftey rating for side impacts . ..which I did factor in as I to was hoping for side curtain airbags. Good luck Joy. I think you can't go wrong with whichever you choose.
    I haven't driven the Odyssey. It is, however the official vehicle of my little corner of suburbia. EVERYONE has one. Even the '04s were tons (3-4 grand, at least) more money comparably equipped to our MPV and I imagine the '05s will up the ante considerably.

My wife likes the MPV so much she hasn't even complained about the lack of heated seats - yet. Reviewers tend to worship at the altar of Honda and Toyota. What they like isn't nearly as important as what you like. I guess my point is that if you like the MPV, with the deals out there on leftover '04s why not pull the trigger? You can probably get a nicely equipped LX for well under $20k. Can't beat that.

Oh, and if you decide on the Passat wagon give my regards to Dieter in service ;-)

-Jason
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Every Tuesday, it's Mazda Chat time. Whether you're an owner, in the market for, or just want to come out and meet some of your fellow Town Hall members, you're all welcome to join in! Just follow the link at the end of this post to see that chat schedule.

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Chat is on TONIGHT. Check out the schedule
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    The MPV may be made in Japan, but it uses the same Ford engine found in the Taurus/Sable and optionally in the Escape.
    It is the Duratec 3.0 V6 (24 valve), but it reportedly has Mazda electronics and/or tuning, as well as a JATCO 5sp AT.

-Brian
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Hey Steve, thought I'd pop in and see if you saw the headline for 'the magic number' that they announced last night. :-(

Okay, skee-dattlin'

java-boy-it's-gettin-cold-outside-doc
    Hey Java, I've been wondering how you've been getting along. Didn't even top $1,000 this year eh?

Steve, Host
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Nope, too bad, so sad. I usually use the dividends for the annual vacation to Cali, but they're pretty small this time around, and the family grew, house grew, payments grew... same old story.

I've been busy this summer! Check out my site to see what I've been up to. ;) But, I've been around, I'm not allowed to mention where, lest I receive more wallpaper for the soho. Hahahahaha

SWMBO is looking forward to the winter, in her awd Sienna though.
    Congrats on the kiddo (it's been a while!). I have the same granite in my kitchen, but it's formica :-).

There is a Mazda chat tonight if you feel so inclined, even if you did trade the MPV ....

Steve, Host
  • gharalgharal Member Posts: 1
    I agree with you. I am deciding between alpine vs. pioneer for my 2002 mpv. The rear speakers are way in the back. Which head unit would best compensate for this? Also, do you have any experience with replacing te rear speakers on the mpv? Supposedly, the opening has a very shallow clearance such that some modification is needed. Would appreciate your thoughts.

gh
  • kristennelkristennel Member Posts: 3
    Hi. My 10 year old Saturn Sedan died this week and we are looking at replacing it with a mini-van. We are looking at the 2004 Odyssey LX and the 2004 MPV LX.

So far, the prices we've received are $23,900 "out the door" for the Oddy. And $20,500 "out the door" for a dealer demo model of the MPV with 6000 miles on it.

I liked the MPV better - the size, the way it drives, the look of it. But we've owned Hondas before and had a great experience. It just seems like the safer bet.

Also, the Mazda salesman was really leading us to the 2 Dealer Demos, but those make me nervous. One had 3K and one had 6K. Did anyone buy one of those? Or am I better off with a brand new one?

Thanks!
    -K
    I'd want a substantial discount off a demo with that many miles on it.

Check out the Mazda MPV vs. Honda Odyssey discussion too.

Steve, Host
    My deepest reguards on the death of your Saturn, Kristennel.If you like the MPV better I would advise you buy it. I agree with Steve in that you should be able to get it for less. My MPV LX had a sticker of $26,000 and I paid $22,000 out the door in July. I'd go with the one with 3k(6,000 is a heckuva lotta miles even for a demo). Have them lower the price another grand or two(depending on the options it has) and throw in the extended warranty 7yr/100,000 mile warranty for free, which should make you a little less nervous.If you are still "nervous" about the situation...then go ahead and buy new.Both have excellent reliability ratings. Good luck.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    I got my van back from the dealer after they made the recall changes for the PVC valve and heater fan. When we got the van back, the heater would only blow cold air. I took the van back to the dealer and told them about the problem. The service manager said there's a valve mounted on the firewall that has 2 positions. It changes the coolant flow to either allow it to flow through the heater core, or bypass it. Bypassing it supposedly allows the air conditioning to work more effeciently. He said the valve was set to "bypass". He set the valve to allow for heat and the heater worked just fine. I didn't know anything about this valve, did any of you?
    Don't bypass the Mazda Mania Chat tonight at 6-7 PT/9-10 ET.

The link is on the left or you can click on the graphic at the top of the page.

Steve, Host
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    About an hour away...stop in if you can!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

MAZDA and HYBRID VEHICLE chats are on TONIGHT. Check out the schedule
    I had no idea, and the owner's manual also doesn't mention it.

But, when we had our 6cd changer out on warranty, somehow the dealer managed to get things so that we had HOT air coming out of the vents for 3 to 4 minutes after start up. I will look for the valve, that sounds like a good summer time fix for this problem.

John
  • qatisahorseqatisahorse Member Posts: 3
    It's my first posting here, strictly to share my experience and opinion for the benefits of others.

I bought a new 2002 Mazda MPV LX with 4 season package in June 2002
    3.0L V6 DOHC 24V FI Engine, 200 hp, 200 ft-lbs (Ford's Duratec with Mazda cylinder heads),
    Automatic 5-Speed Transmission
    15 Inch Wheels

- "check engine" light on at 35,000 miles: PCV crack, replaced under warranty (Mazda later issued a recall on this item for other MPV)
    - "check engine" light on again at 36,000 miles: dealer replace "coil" on cylinder # 3, a warranty service, no charge
    -"check engine" light again the same day after coil replacement. Dealer called Mazda engineers, not sure why same coil failed again. Replaced all 6 coils and test

drive. Same coil # 3 burned again. After 1 week in shop for testing, technician or engineers said valve on cylinder #3 needed rebuild. One week later meaning today

the vehicle is still in shop. Service manager says he has not seen such early failure like this. I have not found similar problem via Google search.

Questions on my mind: should I keep this vehicle after it's fixed?
    Pro: this vehicle has served me well, it's the least expensive option in the immediate term, great shape
    Con: performance of the newly rebuilt engine, which part will fail next, declining value after warranty period (50,000 miles)

Any wisdom?
    Unless you continue to have major problems with the engine...I would go ahead and keep it for another 8 months.You're going to use up your 50,000 in miles warranty before you use up your 5 years in warranty. So, I would hold onto it until it got to around 44 or 45 thousand miles. Then reevalute if you want to keep it or not. The 5,000 mile warranty remaining on it would make it attractive to potential buyers.It would also look better to be able to tell potential buyers that you've had the coils replaced and a cylinder rebuilt 8 months ago and haven't had a problem since.Good luck.