Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• archie34archie34 Member Posts: 8
    I have been having the same phenomenon with my 02 LTZ whenever the truck sits overnight below 20F or 4-6 hours in single digit weather.
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    I got it for $3500 below MSRP, which I was happy with. Other dealers in the area were only offering $2000 off.

Did you get 0% financing too? Because if you only got $3500 off that isn't a very good deal, IMO. The rebate alone on the XL is $3000.
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    "I have been having the same phenomenon with my 02 LTZ whenever the truck sits overnight below 20F or 4-6 hours in single digit weather."

I have to check the dealer to see if this is normal or a problem. I finally broke 32 degrees after 21 days of not going over it. now we have a heat wave here in Albany, NY. It might hit 40 tomorrow then back to 18 the day after. Gotta love the northeast.
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    Check out my website
    http://www.trailblazer.homestead.com/
    for pictures of my husky liners. I got them from Summit Racing for $59 per set. I got the rear cargo liner from the dealer ( I liked it better than the Husky cargo liner and it was even cheaper
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    This is my 3rd SUV/TRUCK, and have owned 4 other cars, I have never had such a good turning radius? Is this me or what? I love the way this thing turns the wheels almost perp.! Still have the vibration at 45-60 low rpm THMMMMMMMM THMMMMMMM, still looking for answer on that one, already had the springs replaced!
  • kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Member Posts: 89
    man,you're not kidding. relatively speaking, this thing turns on a dime. Much (emphasis on "MUCH") tighter radius than my '92 Accord, and noticeably tighter than my wife's Legend, too.

I can get it parked sideways in my garage with only one fwd/rev after backing it in. Sure makes it nice to clean in a cozy garage when it's 8 degrees outside :-)
  • hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    To Lurker01-

You mentioned in a previous post that you had asked your service guy if they could install the bigger tank in the Envoy. Any response yet? Apparently I got stuck with a 2003 with the smaller tank. When it is totally on the red E empty and I fill it up it only takes about 16 gallons or so. The Envoy I bought 3 weeks ago was a dealer trade and it turns out it had sat on the other dealer's lot for 143 days. So that means I got an early 2003 model. Anyone else out there know what else I might be missing?

Also - does anyone know where to look to find the build date? Its not on the sticker or any of my paperwork.

Thanks!
    should be on a sticker on the driver's door jamb.
  • funitsfunits Member Posts: 55
    My Envoy is over 1 year old and has 16,000 miles and has started the "whistle noise from somewhere under the hood/front end of truck. I understand a while ago this might be caused by a Transfer Case Seal, but my dealer cannot find any information about this. Today it is raining, and the truck (at the dealer to be fixed for the noise) won't make the noise, although a service technican heard the noise while during a test drive last week. Is there a TSB on this? Any other suggestions.

Thanks
  • paulyjsobpaulyjsob Member Posts: 48
    Here's the TSB for the seal... I'm getting mine replaced this friday:

NHTSA Number: 628130
    Bulletin Number: 141101
    Bulletin Date: NOV 2001

I'm in a little dilemna with my 02 Trailblazer LS. I bought it last July (11/01 build date) and I have 11,000 miles on it. It seems like the car is in the shop for something almost every 2 weeks. I've had warped brakes rotors, I think every warning light on my dash has been on at a certain point in time, it used to shift into 4hi on it's own at highway speeds, the 4wd knob stopped working, the dash stopped working (I'm on my 3rd new instrument cluster now), now my parking brake, ABS brake, AND service 4wd lights are on, and I have to high pitched squeal from the front axle seal. Not to mention the thing sounds like a 10 year old clunker before the engine warms up.
    Anyway, I'm not trying to complain.. I'm just getting frustrated. I've had all these problems and I only have 11,000 miles. I'm not sure it's worth holding on to. My question to all of you is, should I just eat the loses and trade it in for something else, or should I hold on to it, buy an extended warranty for $1,500, and hope all the problems are fixed and it'll be trouble free from now on. My father had a 97 thunderbird and had nothing but problems till around 30,000 miles... After 30K, NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM and it have 130K mile on it now.
    Any thoughts and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • zapcatzapcat Member Posts: 64
    At least you have that great little glovebox light and the one under the hood that the 2003's don't! :)
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    That's a really tough decision that in the end only you can make (no I'm not some touchy-feely counselor!). I would say that if you can stand the aggravation and/or the service trips aren't too inconvenient, you can hold for a while longer while it's still under warranty and see if things improve. The depreciation hit on a nearly new vehicle (as I'm sure you're aware) is tremendous.
  • dplachtadplachta Member Posts: 109
    Another option, depending on your state lemon law, is to see a lawyer and try to have GM buy it back.
  • dplachtadplachta Member Posts: 109
    Any advice?

I'm looking for a minivan alternative that can tow our pop-up camper easily. It must be big enough for the wife, 3 kids, and dog.

With my GM Credit Card rebate (3500), the present 3000 GM rebate, and an anticipated 3,000 off sticker I project getting $9500 off. That brings a base model TBEXT down to $22500. That might be so much that I can take a chance on the vehicle quality.

Anyhow, I'm uncertain on 2 things. First, practically all the TB's and Envoys in my area are 4WD. Why? That seems like a very high $2500 expense that would be used rarely in Ohio, where we live. Also, I want a sunroof but understand it only comes with On-Star, which I don't want. Should I buy an after market sunroof? Yet I'm not comfortable with one of these companies cutting into my new roof!
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    aldan93: that issue has been around for a long time. No one has posted a fix for it. It is common to many cars besides tripletts. Pay close attention to the conditions when this happens. You will be able to predict when it will happen. IMO this is a vibration or resonance which will defy finding a cure.

dplachta: What part of Ohio do you live in where you wouldn't benefit from 4wd. I grew up in eastern Ohio and I wish I had 4wd then.

Frank
  • tjpushtjpush Member Posts: 9
    I paid $1400 for 5yr/75k GMPP with 0 deductable for my TBLZ EXT 4WD two weeks ago. Now I see it's little to high from reading the posts here. Also I would like to get the 7yr/100k GM Major guard. Can anyone recommend a good web site that sells at a discount? Thanks!
  • condoriolecondoriole Member Posts: 39
    I don't think any of us "wanted" OnStar but I've learned to love it, you probably will too.
  • lurker01lurker01 Member Posts: 103
    No updates yet on the gas tank, but with an 03 model, I would assume the bigger one would fit. My question was would it fit in an 02 and if so, how much $$. I hate going to the gas station ever 4 days. For me, the average fillup is about 15.5 gal. I usually start thinking about filling up just below 1/4 tank, since I can burn nearly that much in one round trip commute.
  • 41564156 Member Posts: 31
    Anyone know if this vibration is unique to the 4 wd, or do 2wds also have the problem?
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    I was actually looking forward to using OnStar when I first purchased my Envoy. I have since learned that it is one of the most useless features I've ever had. It's only positive aspect is the airbag deployment notification. Not enough to justify the $200/year cost (IMO). The analog phone is 80's technology at its finest. You'd never guess Motorola designed it.
  • bobbiesbobbies Member Posts: 34
    Has anyone used the "Ding King" process on small parking lot dings yet???
    "The analog phone is 80's technology at its finest."

I'm not sure what you would like instead.

If by 80's technology you mean strong signal then I agree. What more could a cell phone have to offer? Maybe I'm missing something.

I agree the rest of OnStar is extremely useless!!!
  • envoyeurenvoyeur Member Posts: 9
    Condoriole, I recently installed Thule ski racks on my '03 Envoy. I used the Thule clamps that allow you to mount directly on the factory cross bars instead of buying the Thule bar kit. They DO tilt forward and Thule confirmed that it was supposed to be that way for this vehicle given the way it was mounted. Even if you did not buy Thule, my guess is that it is the same for most/all brands.
  • envoy_xl_in_paenvoy_xl_in_pa Member Posts: 37
    In response to your questions:

1. I would never go with an aftermarket sunroof. Why let a third party cut a hole in your brand new vehicle, when the factory will do it for you, and you know that the vehicle was intended to have the sunroof from the beginning. I have had friends with horror stories about aftermarket sunroofs - leaks, rust, wind noise etc.

2. As for OnStar, if you don't want it, then either don't renew it once the free period is up, or just don't initiate it to begin with. I find it helpful for remote diagnostics when a warning light comes on - it sure eliminates the "can not reproduce the error" problem, when you have the computer readout from OnStar.

3. As for 4WD - I live in Northwestern PA, and we have had our snowiest winter in the last 5 years this winter. Sure, you can get the XL to go in the snow in 2WD, but, it is nice to be able to move into A4WD or 4HI for that extra confidence when you find yourself on an icy hill or an unplowed road. After just 1/2 of a winter with the Envoy, I know I couldn't live without 4WD. You may only use it a dozen times or so in the winter, but it gives me piece of mind knowing my wife has it if and when she needs it. One less thing to worry about....

Sorry for the long post, just my two cents.
    a co-worker of mine used it on his car with pretty mixed results.

i, on the other hand took my TB to a PDR (paintless dent repair) place to have a ding taken out of my right-rear quarter.

He took out the taillight assy and went in from there. Rolled it right out. Cost me $25 and was so quick that he didn't even bother to shut the motor off while he did it. I would've gladly paid $100 for the work he performed.

i would very strongly recommmend that you make a few phone calls to some PDR places and take your vehicle in for them to look at.

Good luck.
    Thank you. I too bought Thule racks. They have been great but it did seem strange that they were tilted forward.

I didn't want to change anything because I don't have any whistling or wind noise and I'de like to keep it that way.

Thanks again.

Cheers to a Snowy February!
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    By 80's technology, I mean analog not digital (CDMA/TDMA).

You're right about analog's power capability, though. The 3 watt booster is only available for analog sources, so if you're in a rural area it's still beneficial. Doesn't the cost get to you a little? $200 a year plus the cost of your minutes.
    The price does not sit well with me but I think at some point it has to come down. It's simply not worth what they are asking so if they want people to stay on board they're going to have to do something.
    Anyhow, I'm uncertain on 2 things. First, practically all the TB's and Envoys in my area are 4WD. Why?

LOL they must have sent all of the 4WD XL's up there because here in Dallas they all seemed to be 2WD when I was shopping.

With my GM Credit Card rebate (3500), the present 3000 GM rebate, and an anticipated 3,000 off sticker I project getting $9500 off.

If you can get $9500 off that is a fantastic deal, IMO. I got about $6500 off plus 0% financing. Also, is OnStar required with a sunroof? I thought it was just standard with the SLT package.
    Also I would like to get the 7yr/100k GM Major guard. Can anyone recommend a good web site that sells at a discount? Thanks!

Forget about the 7yr/100k Major Guard plan, it's insanely priced. The GM EMPLOYEE price on this one is $2745 ($100 ded.) for a 2WD Envoy/TB. And actually, the price you paid is pretty good for zero deductible and 4WD (class 4).
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    Onstar needs to make themselves more competitive with other digital/cellular dealers by offering monthly rollout plans that include minutes and make the people sign up to a yearly contract at the onset. Obviously they will have to cut prices to be competitive this way, but if they can maintain a larger subscriber base it will offset the lower prices.

For the price, I would definitely recommend the ding king. I've used mine on multiple vehicles now and had pretty much success. It's great at pulling dents that are at least the size of a quarter and don't have very sharp edges. If the dent has a sharp edge, it won't totally come out, but it's appeareance will be reduced. I had two small dings in the rear passenger door on my Bravada that it totally pulled out, a ding on my motorcycle tank (where a shovel fell and hit it) that it totally pulled out, and a bunch of smaller hail damage dings in the wife's minivan that it pulled. Some hints if you do get it... Don't use it in hot weather (anything above 70 degrees) or the glue won't stick as well. Prep the surface well before application, or the residue is hard to get off. Use a LOT of glue, and let it settle for a minimum of 5 mins. Lastly, set the bridge up so that the stand-offs are just outside the radius of the dent. If any glue is left on the surface of the car, just use some of the prep fluid, and it will peel right off.
    Your lengthy description of how to best use your Ding King and when to not use it and special instructions and caveats, etc, etc. make me glad that I paid someone $25 to take my ding out while a drank a cup of his coffee.

I suppose if you had 3 dozen little dimples you needed to take out, it might be preferable to buy a $30 ding king, but for the errant door ding, $20-$30 is *well* worth the trip to the professional PDR guy who does this for a living.

My $.02
    Hi All-

I have an interesting problem I hope that someone out there can help me with. I just bought a 2003 Envoy that was a dealer trade, they had to drive 300 miles to go get it for me. I was told when I took delivery that those miles did not matter and that in essence, the 300 miles would be "added in" to my basic 36,000 mile warranty, making my warranty good for 36,300 miles. Well that would be fine only my paperwork just came in the mail and it has 50 miles instead of 300 miles on it. (WARNING TO NEW BUYERS - do not let them talk you into signing paperwork before you see the vehicle!) The reason that happened is because the finance paperwork guy randomly put 50 miles on all the paperwork that I signed the day before they went to get the car. I noted to him that there would be at least 300 miles on it since they had to go get it. He said not to worry that it would be fixed but of course it never was.

So today I called to ask them to fix my paperwork and I get told that it does not matter if the new car had 0 miles or 5000 miles on it when I took delivery, that my GM warranty is 36,000 no matter what! This is in direct opposition to what I was told when buying the vehicle.

Does anyone have any experience in this area and can anyone tell me what legally I am entitled to for my warranty?

Thanks!
    Couldn't agree more about the Ding King vs. PDR. I've never used PDR, but I've had numerous people tell me how pleased they were with it. Most of the people I talked to paid more than $25 (around $50 per dent), but it's still a heck of a lot less than a body shop and well worth it if you only have 1 or 2 dings. I went with the ding king simply because the hail damage was already on the van, and I wasn't about to drop a bundle to fix it. The 2 dings in the Bravada just sent me over the top, so I figured I'd try it. I practiced enough on the van first, and I actually got pretty good at it before I ever even attempted the Bravada, which came out flawlessly. Although I didn't get everything out of the van, it looks 100x better than it did before, and for $30 it couldn't be beat! The motorcycle ding came after I already had the thing, so that was just an added bonus. The only thing I'd be leary about with PDR is I've heard sometimes they have to drill holes to gain access and then cork them. If that were the case, I might also try the Ding King first.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    I like having the OnStar but don't think it's worth the renewal. I had an '02 Bravada (build date 4/01) and I did renew the second year but quickly cancelled when I realized AAA was much cheaper. Here were my biggest gripes about OnStar:

-For my use, the cell phone feature was useless. I use my phone mainly outside the vehicle and when I am in the vehicle, I like to have my privacy.

-The diagnostic system through OnStar is ridiculous. Not once in the nearly two years I had the Bravada were they able to diagnose problems. I got the same response every time "The sytem is reading normal". This happened even when I was receiving messages on the DIC. Worse yet, when the vehicle went dead in my garage (twice) they told me I had to have the engine RUNNING to diagnose the problem. I had plenty of "juice" but they were useless.

-Lastly, when I was sideswiped by a garbage truck on the expressway they were not only useless, they cost me my deductible. I used them to "contact the police" (hit and run) and they told me "don't follow they truck, we'll make sure the police know which way he is headed and send someone out to you also". Three hours, and nearly 1.5 "onstar connected" hours, later, I learned that no one had called the police.

The only thing I think it's useful for is tracking if stolen and I just figured I'll call and subscribe if that happened.

Also, I got rid of the Bravada and got an '03 Tahoe and they now put the onstar antenna on the roof (small stubby) and there is no way to remove it. Of course I also now have another year of "free" OnStar.

Regarding the steering wheel buttons/disk changer: They fixed this on the Tahoe also. I have the same Bose 6 disk changer in the Tahoe although now there is one button that cycles through the cds and then a two way rocker button that cycles through the songs. Way to go GM!
    I've never heard of car dealers adding mileage to a warranty based on a dealer transfer. What I would worry about, and something you might be able to fight is the fact that someone else drove the car that far! I know there is a limit on mileage that a car can still be sold as "new", maybe someone more versed than I knows more of the specifics. If it was sold to you as new, even though the mileage was put on as a condition of the sale, you still didn't sign the contract until after the mileage was put on. It may be a loophole for you to investigate. My real worry though would be damage caused by improper driving during break-in. As I'm sure you know, the car isn't supposed to undergo high rpm's or constant speed during the break-in period. The guys they have do these transfers are the same guys they have wash cars, etc. You think they followed the break-in instructions?
  • daytripdaytrip Member Posts: 10
    Dealers do have the ability to add mileage to the warranty. I took delivery of an Oldsmobile in 1999 where he had put about 250 miles on the vehicle to pick it up from another dealer. He acted like it was an everyday thing. Hillfla, you got ripped.
    Yes - I did wonder about the miles being but on but was reassured by the dealer that the newer engines do not need a break-in like they used to. And of course they introduced me to the driver and told me that he is their only driver and has been doing it for years and was trained on how to do it. In the end I did not see too much to worry about regarding that part of it.

And lets be honest here, the car you buy off the lot, any miles that are already on it from test drives might be "tough love" miles anyways. What I mean by that is that don't most folks who go for a test drive stomp on the gas hard a couple times to feel the acceleration and also stomp on the brakes to test them as well. Just a thought! :-)

I am still waiting to hear back from GMC regarding my issue. I'll keep everyone posted.
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    Strictly my opinion: FOLD!

For the first year I was a happy Envoy owner. I was expecting to hang on to this truck for 7-8 years. Then a random stalling problem developed last year which the dealer has been unable to fix the past 6 times. I am now pursuing a lemon law buyback.

Overall I still think the triplets are great for their power, comfort, and convenience. I could put up with the minor quality issues in order to buy American. BUT when a vehicle begins to compromise my family's safety, especially a problem that can't be fixed, it's time to part ways.

I truly thought GM had a winner here. It seems like the 2003's are less problematic, so some of you may get lucky and not have any problems for a long time. I hope so.
    Honestly, what are the chances of something breaking between 36,000 and 36,300 miles? That's about what, one or two weeks of driving? I wouldn't sweat it too much. IMO 300 miles is a pretty good trade-off for getting the vehicle with the options you wanted. My Envoy had 200 miles when I picked it up, they had to drive it in too.
  • kevitrakevitra Member Posts: 20
    "Did you get 0% financing too? Because if you only got $3500 off that isn't a very good deal, IMO. The rebate alone on the XL is $3000. "

Yes, it was with 0%. It would have been $6500 off with rebate. The difference between $6500 with interest and $3500 with 0% was $6/month in favor of 0% interest.

I also got the $1000 olds rebate, so total it was $4500 off with 0%. That is the best any dealer I could find in Chicago would do.
    You are right - in the end 300 miles does not matter too much - other than the fact that I was promised one thing when signing for the car and now I am being told another. It's the principle of the matter for me now! I am sure I will lose out but I have to try - its the fighter in me.

You are absolutely right, it was worth them going to get the car to get all the options I wanted. I was firm about wanting passenger side automatic seat controls and this was the only one they could find. And it sure beats ordering one, fighting for a good price, and then waiting for two months to get it.
  • garagesmokergaragesmoker Member Posts: 8
    I thought the maximum allowable right now is $1750 on the Envoy. Someone up above mentioned $3500. Am I missing out on a special I don't know about? The $1250 bonus cash I was offered expired 1/31 so it is back to $1750 I think.

GS
  • daytripdaytrip Member Posts: 10
    "I thought the maximum allowable right now is $1750 on the Envoy"

Those of us with the older GM cards can use what ever the bonus balance is at the time of purchase of a new vehicle. The down side is that we are limited to $500 per year and the bonus expires after 7 years. GM would like to convert us to the new cards to encourage us to trade sooner.
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    By law, I believe the warranty begins at purchase.
    The vehicle has not been titled. This is a GM policy, the dealer really doesn't have much to say about it.

GAM
  • 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107

Let me start this post with a statement before I get to my 2 questions.  I have to say this Envoy has given me new faith in GM.  After owning a 2000 Chevrolet Blazer that was a complete lemon and a Lumina LTZ, I had lost faith that they could build anything but junk. After the Blazer, I swore to never ever buy another GM again. But like the movie The Godfather, they pulled me back in with a whopper lease loyalty rebate and a GM card credit.  Having to drive for a living, I get to drive a new Envoy SLE with nothing down and loads of options for 485 dollars a month.  Not a bad number until you consider this is a TWO YEAR lease with 56 thousand miles.  Now my payment is a sweet number.  Having to drive this vehicle like day after day and all day, I cant believe how well mannered and put together it is. I live in the Northeast and have found its manners in deep snow very reassuring. I swear it drives like a refined luxury car in many aspects and am very pleased with my purchase.
      Here are my two questions.  I had to buy this vehicle off the lot and they didn't have any with a limited slip differential.  My blazer had it and you noticed it in the winter.  It handled just like it was on dry pavement.  I notice with my Envoy when I do lose traction, it seems both wheels are spinning as well.  Does this mean limited slip really doesn't do that much more than the regular rear end?
      Here is my other big question that is stumping everyone.  My gas pedal mostly and the drivers side floor to a certain extent vibrate above 40 m.p.h.. As you get over 40 and all the way from there the gas pedal vibrates even in neutral until the vehicle drops below 40. It feels like a cross between a rumbling and a straight out vibration. It is driving me crazy and the dealer is stumped. They tried the TSB that has them swap out the rear springs due to transmitting vibration from the torque converter locking up. I knew that wouldn't help since I have done 60 m.p.h. and shut the engine off in neutral and still the gas pedal vibrates along with the floorboard until it drops below 40. Just to mix it up a little more, when the outside temp gets extremely cold it is much less pronounced. Their is absolutely no vibration from the steering wheel, so I know its not front end related.

Besides this flaw, I love this truck. But since it is a salesman vehicle that is driven mostly highway, this last problem has to be resolved. I have read a lot of very knowledgeable posts here and hope one of you can come through for me.

Thank you
  • 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    I had the same problem. The dealer kept lubricating trying to make the squeak go away. After 3 visits, I demanded "parts be ordered". He complied and replaced everything except the steering wheel (intermediate steering shaft, and seal). It gets pulled from under the hood so there was no greasy mess for me to clean up. The cold outside only squeak is now gone. Hope this helps
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    I guess this shows that the squeaky wheel does get the most grease.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Frank

P.S. to HOST: Will this forum keep working when the number of posts exceeds 9999?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yep, we're pushing 30,000 in I don't like SUVs, why do you?.

Back in the "old days" our software started acting up around 500 posts, so we would freeze the discussions and start a Part II, III, etc. I don't think there is a practical limit now.

Now the race can proceed to see who gets the 10,000th post in here :-)

Steve, Host