Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• qatisahorseqatisahorse Member Posts: 3
    jipster: thanks for your very sensible advice. I'll take it.

Update: my 02 MPV LX enters the third week in dealer's garage for engine valve rebuild because "head gasket is not available". I'll take it as good news, meaning head gasket is so rarely needed that it has to be on special order from ?Japan?
  • jaymarytjaymaryt Member Posts: 2
    I am happy to report that my hard shift problem was resolved last June. I now want to get my warranty extended to 7yr, 70,000miles and at NO cost to me. I believe that is fair as I dealt with the problem for months and I question the long term affect. I read on this websight as to someone who successfully got the extension free in the Twin Cities, Mn. area. Any suggestions as to how to go about?
    Thanks, Mary
  • asafonovasafonov Member Posts: 401
    I am a little confused. According to the Edmunds 2005 MPV review, these come standard with rear A/C since 2004 (http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/mazda/mpv/100466954/review.html?- tid=edmunds.n.standard.leftsidenav..15.Mazda*)

On the other hand, when I look at optional equipment for the 2005, the 1LX/LX Plus package includes, among other things, rear air. This is not the case for the 2004, where the LX package also costs about 50% less than on the 2005 (about 1k vs. 1.5k.)

I really disliked that on the 2004, you need the 1LX to get side airbags. This does not seem to be the case for the 2005, but does one need 1LX for rear air?

Please de-confuse. Thanks!
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    If the hard shift porblem is resolved, why do you need a 7 yr/ 70k mile warranty? The person who received that warrranty, I believe got it before Mazda had a fix for the transmission. I think you would be hard pressed to get anyone from Mazda to respond positively to this request.
  • jaymarytjaymaryt Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. I cannot remember for sure, but I thought the person got their extension post fix. Either way, after multiple discussions with mechanics at various shops, they unanimously stated there probably was long term damage. My tranny shifted hard off and on for 6 months, with 3 attempts at repair. I think an extension is reasonable if they believe the tranny is solid. I am looking ahead. Thanks
  • mtbiker1mtbiker1 Member Posts: 17
    In last week's Seattle Times the MPV was listed as "no longer recommended" by Consumer Reports. Just bought an MPV in mid-Sept, am enjoying it very much. So: why the ratings drop, and is there anything we can watch for or do by way of preventative maintenance to keep our MPV's running long and healthy? Are there any related recalls that I haven't got yet? Enquiring minds want to know.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Don't worry mtbiker...your MPV is fine.It is no longer recommended due to a glitch in the transmission programming that resulted in a small percentage of 2003 and early 2004 having to be reprogrammed.(problem being a hard shift between 2nd and 3rd gears)Your MPV probably isn't affected...or was already"reflashed" at the dealer if it had an early 2004 manufacture date.
        Many other people, including myself, are wondering why the drop to"no longer recommended"due to this small problem.The way Consumer Reports scores puts a lot of weight on the engine and transmission.So, even a small problem in one of these two areas can cause a vehicle to be dropped to not be recommended.Overall, reliability has always been excellent on the MPV.No recalls that I know of.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • elieelie Member Posts: 15
    If you look at the Consumer Reports ratings for the Mazda6, they also dropped it to "Not reccommended" status, and yet look at the reliablity records! The '04 record looks impeccable to me, and the '03 has an 'average' rating for 'fuel' but otherwise great. The '02 MPV also has an 'average'rating for 'fuel' but it did not get the dreaded black "X". (True, the '02 MPV is a year older, but if you compare it to the 'fuel' ratings of the "Average Car," (which CU compares to in order to come up with its year-by-year assessment), there should be no difference between the expected average reliability between an '02 and '03 model. One of the biggest problems with CU auto ratings has always been how little they explain their ratings procedures. I've written to them several times to ask them to clarify contradictions within their auto reviews, and their explanations never resolve the contradictions. I think they should get a massive letter writing campaign letting them know that if they want to preserve public trust in their ratings, they should explain themselves with their Mazda downgrades--- (Their email comments page is hard to find, but this should link to it:

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt- _id=719&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=703&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=- 456975&bmUID=1101678971811

Send them an email, and demand explanations. Let the public decide if THEIR "LOGIC" is "reliable"!!
    I agree with that elie...I would like to see several pages of explanation on how CR tests and on how they arrive at some questionable findings in their survey.Instead we get a paragraph or two on how they conducted their test.With such a large number of people going to CR for reviews and reliability reports...I think they owe it to the consumer to give all the information they can.
    How the MPV can go from THE most reliable minivan to one rated with "average" overall reliability demands more print than what it received.And how they can forecast the 2005 models predicted reliability to be "worse" is one of the greatest mysterys this planet has faced since disco music.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • mpv05mpv05 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

New member and first post!!

I have been reading the messages on this forum for the past couple of weeks and got a lot of valuable information. Thanks to all of you. Just wanted to share my experience.

Have been looking for a good family vehicle. Minivan has been one of the considerations but held back because they looked too big. Finally came across an ad for the 05 MPV for $17,777 in the Oregonian newspaper [Portland, Oregon] and could not resist [one of those "one at this price and the rest at the regular price" deals]. Did all the research [Consumer Reports and this forum] I could and finally bought it on 11/20. It is a no frills package but I thought for that price, I got a good deal. Bought from Premier Mazda in Milwauke, OR. Great people.

My wife [primary driver] likes it a lot except for the night time driving. The headlight range seems to be shorter than our old Camry and the light appears to be abruptly cut off! Talked to the service people and looking for some alternative headlights [like the high intensity type]. Appreciate any inputs.

Thanks.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I'm sure the CR reliability and reviews cna be debated but I never ever remember reading that the MMazda MPV was the most reliable minivan on the road. I always thought it average reliability.

As the poster before mention, CR does put more weight ont eh engine and transmisison. Rightlyfully so. those are the most critical and expensive parts to a vehicle.

Even with the poor rating from CR, I would not heistate to recommend the MPV to anyone. The bigger issue with the MPV is limited space. BTW, I love disco music and can't wait for the 24 hour disco music station to start broadcasting.
    Well, for what its worth. Consumer Reports October 2003 issue stated in their review of the MPV,"Reliability has been excellent". I agree, in rating reliability, more weight should be put on the engine and transmission...won't go far without them. And good news for dtownfb and others... disco IS making a comeback! At least thats what I heard on a television program the other day.Everybody break out those ole leisure suits and high stepping shoes...its time to strut...AGAIN!!! ;-)
  • chercher Member Posts: 4
    We've just purchased a 2001 with the immobilizer system included. It only came with one key. Is there a way of getting cheaper keys except going to the dealer where it costs $100 and we have 4 drivers in our family. If not does anyone know of a way of using normal keys, which we had made before we knew we had this system in our van. Is it possible to disengage the system in the van.

Thank you
    Cheryl
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    every Tuesday we have have a chat based on a Mazda platform (although we do tend to wander to all kinds of subjects) where you can meet and greet your fellow forum members. Hope to see YOU there tonight!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
  • mchuchramchuchra Member Posts: 25
    Hello BSVOLLER,
    I noticed your post about the Kumho snowtires from a year ago. I am also contemplating buying snow tires for my MPV and was eyeing those Kumhos at TireRack. The only seemingly suitable size available at TireRack is 215/65/R15... Is that what you purchased? Anyway, now that you have used them for at least one full winter season, what's your verdict? Still like them? Any complaints or regrets? Thanks a bunch! Mark in PA
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    Our's has got some weird thing going on with the turn signals. If the left turn signal is on and you depress the brake pedal, the turn signal stops flashing and the right turn signal indicator on the dash comes on steady until you relase the brake, then the dash indicator goes out and the turn signal starts flashing again. Anybody heard of anything like this? I really don't want to have to take it in for warranty work as my wife and I both work and it's almost impossible to get by for even just one day without both of our vehicles. Now if they could give us a loaner or a rental that would be okay. I don't know if the dealer will do that.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    check your bulbs perhaps. one of the turn signal or brake bulbs is out on the left side. just a guess.

-Brian
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Hi Cheryl. AFAIK, there is no way that you can disable the system in your 2001 MPV. I think I saw a way to program the key at MPVClub-dot-com though. I'd have to look, in case you had to have two to program a third, and possibly you do indeed have to visit the dealer if you only have one key.

At any rate, the dealer shouldn't charge you more than a small amount of labor to program the key, and you can get the keys online at a variety of places for a fraction of dealer cost.

<HI STEVE!>
    I'll check it out. I've just never seen so many things get this whacked out over a burned out light bulb. It used to be you just replaced the bulb that was no longer working.
    it's either a bulb or a short. Do you have a trailer hitch?

-Brian
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hey Java, how's the Sienna? Bogus is opening tomorrow...

Steve, Host
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    The Seinna is most fun in the snow. Brodie spinning brings a grin to my face. <grin> I've been boarding already, lol.
  • elieelie Member Posts: 15
    OK, so I wrote Consumer Reports to complain about the ratings drop for the Mazdas. They write: "After compiling information on the Mazda MPV for several years, we have decided to remove it from our "Recommended" list. If you compare its trouble history for the MPV with the trouble history of the "Average Model" automobile for 2004, you will see that it rates below the "Average Model" in two categories: Transmission and Power Equipment. For 2003, the MPV rates below the average car in two categories: transmission and brakes." Now, I checked this out--technically they are right about the 2004, but for the 2003,NOT TRUE! Brakes is NOT below average, it is average, and besides the reliablity for other key components like Fuel and Electrical are ABOVE average. But more importantly, they ADMIT in this letter that their data is very broad and that they dont even KNOW the details of the "problems" about which they gather statistics. This is what they wrote me: "Because respondents to our Annual Questionnaires aren't asked to give technical descriptions of the problems that they have encountered with their automobiles, we are unable to give you technical details of the problems."
    Bottom line is that I dont think Consumer Reports has taken a look at their surveying techniques regarding autos for a long time, and could use an overhaul. The usefulness of the exalted Consumer Reports in identifying a reliable automobile, is LIMITED to say the least!
    Thanks for getting that info for us elie. I also wrote CR but have yet to hear from them.I agree...there system is definitely in need of some overhaul work.I've never heard of the MPV having any problems with the brakes.They perform superbly. CR knows there are shortcomings in their survey system... but aren't doing anything about it.I guess unless more people start complaining about it,or their limited survey methods end up on 60 Minutes or 20/20...it will be the same old same old.
  • jaybee3jaybee3 Member Posts: 3
    The transmission problem was probably people just needing to get the "hard shift" fixed by a computer re-program. That will be listed as "transmission problems" despite the ease of fixing. I read about the shifting problems before I purchased my MPV, but after a little research as to what the caused the problem, and the free fix, I had no concerns about the transmission in regards to reliability.
    Onthe driver's side in the rear of the van, there is the jack for the spare. What is on the opposite side in the rear cargo area where it looks like a long speaker cover? How do I access it? Thanks!
  • lazyfoxlazyfox Member Posts: 90
    Why do you need to access that? You have to take the whole rear inside molding off. It is the air intake for the rear AC/Heater ventilator.
  • mazdamvpesmazdamvpes Member Posts: 1
    I have MPV 2002 ES and considering replacing tires with Michelin Hydro edge 215 60 T17. OEM tires are H rated. Will the T rated be ok or may cause stability or ride problems.

Thank you
    mazdampves, I recall reading a similiar question about the tire rating at MPVClub-Dot-com. Can't really remember if they are okay to use or not. I do know many MPV owners have bought the Michelin Hydroedge and really like them.
    I'm looking for folks that have tried using snow tires on the their recent vintage MPVs.

I am contemplating buying snow tires for my 2003 MPV LX and was considering Kumho KW-11's mounted on dedicated steel wheels. Has anyone tried these through a full winter season, and if so, what's your verdict? Any complaints or regrets?
    Aside from the Kumho's, can anyone recommend any other snow tires that are a cost effective solution?

Thanks a bunch!
  • vinnygvinnyg Member Posts: 77
    Hi Mchuchra, I have an 03 LX that I bought in Nov. 02 and immediately purchased a set of Dunlop Graspics mounted on steel wheels from The Tirerack. This winter will be the 3rd season that I have used these tires and I am very impressed with the grip they have in thick snow. I live in the Northeast and commute 150 miles daily in my little Hyundai, but when it snows I take the wife's MPV with the Graspics on them and they are super. We had a major storm last year and the snow in my community was above the front bumper and touching the grill in some areas, and I was able to get home without getting stuck. It is money well spent if you live in an area that sees a decent share of snow. By the way, my LX came with 16 inch tires, but Tirerack recommended getting 15 wheels and tires for snow use, which also saved on the costs as well. Good luck.
    Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, because you're going to meet the same people on the way down.
    Hi VinnyG,

I like the pricing on the Graspics... Are you happy with the amount of wear you are getting out of your Grapics? I heard they tend to wear pretty quickly... If I understood Dunlop's explanation, the Graspics have two different layers of tread: the outer layer is really designed for winter driving, but after you get half way through the treadwear, the rubber is really just the equivalent of a typical "all season" tire.
    Hi Mchuchra, yes I am getting great wear out of the Graspics. This is the 3rd season and they actually show very little wear. I put them on in late Nov to early Dec and remove them in March. The customer service rep stated that I should average 3-4 seasons, but the way it looks I should be getting 5 seasons minimum out of these at the rate I'm going. I'm not too sure about the layers, but the grip was excellent in major storms the past 2 seasons. I remember last year going right up this STEEP incline an the way home from work, and I went right around a few cars that were stuck or slipping sideways up the hill. In my opinion, the MPV with 4 snow tires is probably as good or better than a 4 wheeler with all-season tires in a storm. It's a great investment if you see a lot of snow. Good luck.
    Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, because you're going to meet the same people on the way down.
    Hi mchuchra, I just checked out my receipt from 2002 and the Graspics I bought were DS-1's, not the DS-2's offered now. I paid $51 each for the tires and $24 each for the rims-not a bad price at all.---- By the way, do you have alloy wheels and if so have they ever warped the rotors? I had to have my rotors resurfaced once and they warped again, and this time I had to install new rotors and pads at 44,00 miles. The dealer states it is due to the torque used in tightening the lugs on alloy wheels. The place I usually go to wanted $510 for the job, but I did it myself for $90. Just curious if anybody has had the same problems in regards to the rotors. Take care.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    After a bit of a software snafu last week, we'll try to get a harder count on how many of you are coming to the Philadelphia Auto Show on Feb 5th and 6th (that's the first weekend of the show) so we can figure out how many goodies we might need! So stop in at one of the chats this week and let us know!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
    I don't really "need" to access that. I don't even want to access that. I was just going to pull the panel to find out what was behind it that grill, that's all. I was not sure if it was a subwoofer or something for the stereo system as I have seen on some other vehicles. Thanks for your response here and "the other place"! : )
    ......a burned out bulb is not causing my strange light indications. It stopped doing it yesterday and started indicating properly again. This would indicate either a loose connection or short with my trailer wiring harness. At least I know what's causing the problem now.

While we're on the subject of tires, has anyone replaced the OEM Dunlpos with Yokahama Avid touring tires? Everything I've read about these tires has been good, and the Dunny's are getting close to needing replaced. I want to stay away from the "H" rated tires because the ride is way too stiff for my liking. The Avids are a "T" rated tire and should provide a much smoother and quieter ride than the Dunnys. Plus they're an 80K mile tire so they should last 3-4 times as long.
    VinnyG,

It seems you got an exceptionally good deal on your Graspics a few seasons ago. They are a bit more expensive now. Plus the steel rims at Tirerack are also more expensive now (I think about $38 each now)...

I do have factory alloy wheels. But I have not had a problem with the rotors, but perhaps because I have not had reason to mount/dismount them. I have heard folks say that overtightening the wheels lugs can do some damage, but I doubt that has anything to do with the fact that they are alloys. I would think that could happen with steel rims too. But it sounds like the lesson learned is to properly torque (tighten, but not OVER-tighten) the wheels upon reinstallation, right?

Wow! $90 for rotors and pads? That seems like a great deal. Where did you buy the parts and were they Mazda OEM or aftermarket? And that was just for your front wheels, correct?
    Sorry, my bad. The Avid Tourer is an "S" rated tire. Yok has an Avid T4, which is very similar to the Tourer, only it's a "T" rated tire. Both tires seem to get good reviews from their owners on the Tire Rack web site, with the T4's receiveing slightly better reviews.
    Mchuchra

Yes, that was for the front wheels, non OEM. I bought Raybestos rotors and Beck/Arnley pads including delivery for $89.48 at rockauto.com. Their prices are excellent. The braking is smooth as silk now. The place I go to for repairs wanted $514.56 for the job, including bleeding and flushing the system as well as turning the rear drums, which do not need to be cut. I rarely buy replacement parts from the dealer, because they are such a rip-off.

By the way, if you get a set of snows mounted on the steel wheels, I would skip the hub caps they offer. They are very difficult to install without cracking. They sent me a replacement one for no charge, but that one and another cracked very easily as I attempted to install them. Just letting you know from personal experience I had with them. Take care.
    I got those two recall notices for my '03 MPV LX back in late summer. I just had my wife take the car in to the dealer today (3 mos. later) to get those items repaired. Hopefully it went well.
    VinnyG,

Thanks for all the tips. I just checked out rockauto.com and have bookmarked it for future purchases.

I was preparing to place my order for the snowtires today and was thinking about getting the wheel covers since they are only ~$25 or so for the full set of four... But if you really think they are junk, I guess I should not. But doesn't the car look a bit naked without them? And do you think they provide some measure of extra weather protection to the brakes, hubs, etc?
    Subearu,

How or why did you conclude that the dealer did NOT use the "new, improved" part in your with your PCV recall repair?
    Hi,

I have read over the last few months of posts and noticed a few folks mentioning a tranny TSB. My '03 MPV LX occassionally seems to have a rough shift when the engine is cold (I think it happens when shifting from 1st to 2nd, or maybe 2nd to 3rd). Is that sympomatic of the problem related to the Transmission TSB? If an MPV is still under warranty, are TSBs like this one covered under the warranty or do they charge you for the repair (I just don't know the difference between a TSB and recall, so I'm hoping one of my fellow MPV-ers can shed some light on that matter...
    Yes, that is exactly the symptomology of the problems related to the transmission TSB.Which they call "shift shock" or hard shift. There are two TSB's out that I know of...depending on when your MPV was manufactured.I recently read info reguarding the TSB's on this subject matter at the MPV Club. Yes, the work is done under warranty(unless your van has over 50,000 miles)I believe a recall is when they replace a defective item that has been problematic throughout the particular vehicle make/model.With this particular problem,"shift shock", all they have to do is run a different program thru the transmission control module.TSB's tell the mechanics in a step by step manner how to fix the problem.The vast majority of owners who have had this done have not had any further problems.
  • kentwongkentwong Member Posts: 36
    The software update/fix can be referenced by the name "MSP03", it covers the 03-04 mpvs. I guess a recall is a service to perform required by the government after an investigation. I don't mine around April, 2004. No hard shift experienced, but the shift from first to second isn't a smooth operation.
    they did use the new part in the pcv repair I had - which happened before the recalls were sent out. when I took it in for the recall, they confirmed the part was the correct one and didn't have to replace it again.

-Brian
    MCHUCHRA,

Yes I would guess they would provide extra protection and the car definately looks better with the caps on. If you don't mind spending the $25 or so, go for it. I was just letting you know I cracked 2 of them rather easily.

By the way, which tires are you going with and will they be 15's or 16's, and what did you think about rockauto's prices? Take care-
    VinnyG,

I didn't do any side by side price comparisons, but Rockauto's prices looked very favorable. I do like to do some of my own car repair (stuff like brakes is within my realm of capabilities) when I can, so I'll definitely keep Rockauto in mind next time I need to buy parts.

As far as the snow tires, I am officially VERY bummed out. I was all set on buying the Kumhos KW-11s from Tirerack, mounted on 15 inch steel wheels. I think the Kumhos were exactly what I was looking for (relatively inexpensive, durable, relatively quiet on dry roads, etc.) I went to the TireRack website yesterday and could not find them. It turns out that they just ran out of stock and will not be reordering! I even called to confirm. I spent sometime "googling" to see if I could find another online merchant that sells those Kumhos KW11s and mounts on steel wheels and could not find one. I don't know what to do. Any ideas of any other tire merchants that might carry the Kumhos and steel wheels?