Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you try the dealer locater at Kumhotireusa.com? Maybe Sears could order you some.

link

Steve, Host
    The upcoming Mazda 5 is a cousin to Ford's European Focus. We take a sneak peek here.

Talk about it over in Mazda MX-Flexa / Mazda5.

Steve, Host
  • vinnygvinnyg Member Posts: 77
    Mchuchra,

Sorry, I don't know of any other merchants that carry the Kumhos. The only thing that I can tell you (which doesn't help at all) is that I replaced the OEM Dunlops that were shot at 30,000 miles with all season Kumhos for a great price from The Tirerack, and they are holding up very well, so I would think that the Kumho snows would be a good choice as well. Good luck in your quest.
    Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, because you're going to meet the same people on the way down.
  • tweet651983tweet651983 Member Posts: 32
    I just test drove and 04 LX with 270 mile on it. Overall I was impressed with the engine upgrade and the exterior restyling. However, I cannot beleive the interior carpeting, it looks and feels like indoor outdoor carpeting.

I can live with it, but I wondered if anyone can tell me how it holds up and how easy/hard it is to clean. And when did they change the carpeting, my 01 looks like luxury carpeting after seeing the 04.

Thanks
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Just a couple of shopping days left until Christmas... avoid the holiday crush and join us for an evening of automotive chat and good cheer!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA MANIA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    We put down small matching in color area rugs in the back where the kids sit to help protect the carpet. You could also scottsguard it. To me the carpet looks fine though.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    Several things.

Has anyone here heard/done about adding the silver circles within the gauge area like the 2004 and newer MPV's have? I know there is a kit you can buy ( $120-$180), but wanted to know how to pull out the gauge area to snap them in...just to add some class to the gauges I guess.

Also, went in today for the latest recall notice regarding rear heat/not getting good heat. I have the 4 Season Pkg..

With the temps below zero in the Twin Cities now, I find that the heater on my MPV really sucks. You have to have the fan on full blast and dial all the way over to keep the cabin comfortable...anyone else had a fix on this issue??
    I now remember this being a problem last winter, but it was not as cold as it is now and I forgot about it since then.

ONE MORE THING: Has anyone had that creaking sound in the front end when it's below 20 degrees?? I went over some speed bumps and heard this horrid sound form the front...I DID go at a slow speed too! I called my local friendly Mazda dealer and they said it was normal; plastic rubs and gets cold and creaks. You would think they would have a better design for this issue...?!?

Thank you.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Our '02 ES heats very well IMO, front and back. I think we have the temp selector set to 2 or 3 clicks from max on both, seems to be fine for the 7F it's been. I know there is a valve in the engine bay that is supposed to be ON in order for the rear heat to function. Not sure if having it partially ON would affect things.

I think there is a TSB to trim some plastic that can rub against one of the front struts.

-Brian
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    I have always had the strut noise in every vehicle I have owned when it gets really cold. (Of course, three out of the 4 new vehicles I have owned have been mazdas, go figure).

You might want to check out the TSB though...that sounds interesting.

Our 02' ES heats extremely well...we have only gotten down around 10 degrees here in Northern Virginia this winter, though I don't recall having problems in the past either.
  • vinnygvinnyg Member Posts: 77
    ANYBODY KNOW IF THE CUPHOLDER/ASHTRAY UNIT IS REMOVABLE ON MY '03 LX, AND IF SO, HOW DOES IT COME OUT? I WANT TO GIVE IT A GOOD CLEANING AND CAN'T SEEM TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO REMOVE IT. THANKS.....
    Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, because you're going to meet the same people on the way down.
    Not sure if/how it can be removed. Mine was rattling so bad though that I had my friendly dealer lube and tighten it up last week at no charge. I now have 40K miles on my 03 and hate rattles. It DOES need a cleaning with spilt coffees and pop at times!!
    Again, has anyone removed the plastic facing on the gauge area to install chrome trim rings to the gauges on their 03 or older MPV? I heard that this can be done with much care. I am thinking of ordering the rings online from a contact in TX. I have worked with...but am concern about removing the bezel and breaking something myself!! This may sound a bit anal, but I'd like to dress up the gauge area a bit like the 04-05's have.
  • elieelie Member Posts: 15
    I own a 2002 MPV ES. Great van--only annoyance at moment (at 18K Miles)--is that there is a lot of rattling from the moonroof if the interior sliding panel is open, even if the actual glass panel is closed. It makes quite a racket. Any one have the same experience, and is there anything that will help (or are rattles just something one has to live with)??
    I have an 03 that had that same issue. My local 'friendly' Mazda dealer had to tighten it up under warranty. This was after about 30K miles.

Must be a 'normal' thing.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    at 27k, we just finished a 340 mile trip with 3 adults and 2 kids, 90% highway at 70 mph and rain much of the way. It gave me 27.4 mpg!

I am very pleased with the MPV, it has performed flawlessly. The only issues have been the recalls for the foglights, PCV hose, and door sticker. I like the Duratec and 5 speed very much, they work well together. The Duratec has much less required maintenance than my Subaru.

John
    I went into my friendly Mazda dealer again today to pursue what the problem is with lack of heat in my 03 MPV. They adjusted the 'door' which is controlled with the heater dial. Otherwise, they said it's normal that the MPV does not heat up as fast as a car or some other vans on the market. Nice to hear that in the land of 10000 iced over lakes!! (aka; MN.)

Does everyone elses temp gauge register about 1/4 up the dial at full warm-up?? I think that seems rather low. My camry runs about half way on it's gauge.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    and the heater will cook you unless you turn it down from full hot. We have the 4 seasons pkg with the rear heat. Maybe that makes a difference.

-Jason
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    gauge is 1/2 way up the dial. Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open.

John
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Hope you can join us tonight for the first chat of the new year. Everything automotive is fair game, and the planning continues for our "meet up" to the Philadelphia Auto Show in Feb! Hope to see you there!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA MANIA chat is on TONIGHT. Join us for the '05 season of chat! Check out the schedule
  • ldl20ldl20 Member Posts: 10
    You know, it's just my luck. Wife, 2-year old daughter. We had been eyeing the MPV since 2002. Finally get a good deal on a new one in Oct. of 04, and promptly watch it's value drop like a ton of bricks. Those incentives are great at the time of purchase, but they come back to bite you if you want to sell. I was looking to sell it (new job--it's a long story), but I couldn't even give it away. With taxes, and all the other fees and options, I paid 22,400 for my LX. Four weeks later, my dealer wanted to give me 15,500 if I traded it in. Here's the best part. In Oct., they had only 2 used MPVs (old 2.5 engine, not interested). Now, they have over 10 (seriously) 2004s with about 15K miles on them for anywhere between 17 and 18,000. Anyone else have similar gripes about the resale values of their MPVs? Thanks. LDL20
    what exactly did you expect 4 weeks later? any new vehicle loses value just driving off of the lot. and you bought at a time when new '05 models are coming out, which will affect the value of the '04 even more.

can you figure out a way to keep it and not get hit on the resale?

-Brian
    You paid $22,400 with everything included..meaning the sale price of the vehicle was around $20,800.(You're not going to recover tax money and dealer fees.)Depreciating $5,300 to the dealer.You didn't say how many miles you put on it. But, typically dealers don't give you jack for your trade in. So, sell it yourself and you should get a couple more thousand out of it.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    It's a well known fact a new vehicle's depreciation point is at its highest the moment you drive it off the lot. In general a vehicle will depreciate more during the first year. The longer you keep it (to a point), the closer you get to getting your money's worth. Anyone who sells or trades a new vehicle within the first year is going to lose their posterior!
    Mazda Mania chat is almost open; come talk cars - especially Mazda.

Steve, Host
    Where has everyone gone? This place is like a ghost topic lately.
    Aren't sales down? Even Javadoc jumped ship to the Sienna. Mazda seemed to have lost its edge when the tranny shift software problem reared up.

Steve, Host
    everyone has gone elsewhere (is that more PC steve, like anyone reads this thread?). Mazda doesn't promote the MPV if at all. All the talk lately has gone towards the MX/5 and if it's the replacement for the MPV. With more people wanting AWD and larger interiors, and the new Sienna and Ody out there, you see the masses forgetting about the MPV.

FWIW, Javadoc opted for the Sienna because it had AWD and was roomier.

-Brian
    I wonder too if the Mazda3 "rust" issue had any impact or if North Americans just want huge minivans in their driveways (driveways, because the rest of the vans are sure hard to fit into garages).

"Last year, Mazda -- one-third owned by Ford Motor Co. <F.N> -- managed a 2-percent rise in U.S. sales to 263,900 vehicles against initial projections of a 10 percent increase." Boston.com

Seems like the company is growing faster elsewhere, like in the UK and Canada.

Steve, Host
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    What ever happened to Ising or Insinc? She was one of the best voices for the MPV. I think she bought a new 2003?
    Here I am. Nothing against Edmunds,but I spend "most" of my MPV forum time at another MPV web site. Usually you don't have to wait a week or two for someone to enter a post.I beleive many current and former Edmunds members frequent the latter web site. Don't think it(lack of posts on Edmunds MPV boards) has much to do with sales.
    A lot of people find the forums as they are pricing new cars. Not many MPV shoppers seem to be unlurking and posting as they did (and as other new buyers do in our other discussions). That makes me wonder where the buzz has gone.

The Mazda MX-Flexa / Mazda5 discussion is pretty active.

Steve, Host
    What's the other web site?
    I believe that the GM/Ford people and maybe Mazda have moved on to other web places where they can talk about their vehicles. Talk GM/Ford around here and watch the Honda/Toyota owner attack.
    Try a net search for other sites.

We have comparison discussions where the Honda/Toyota crowd can mix it up with the Caravan/MPV/Quest/Terraza fans. There's some comparisons in the model specific discussions, but we try to keep focused on the make in question.

Steve, Host
  • lazyfoxlazyfox Member Posts: 90
    Everyone is where the honey is, like the bees. He he he.

The other forum is not as busy as some other brands and models, but we are having fun.

I pop in here from time to time to see if anybody is looking for something and can't find the answer.

TH doesn't like linking and such, well I'd understand a copyright issue sometimes as well, but that makes it hard to get by with helpful posts. Sooner or later all will find the Holly Grail. ;-)

Hope you are not to lonely Steve, I think there is not a specific forum for the Quest yet either, I believe the most stuff is under the Nissan forums (can't post the link right?).

As for MPV sales, it seems to always improve with a new model redesign and the truth as subearu said, there is almost zero publicity for the MPV.

And perhaps there is some baby boom as few more people from the other place traded for new Ody or Sienna as their families got bigger. ;-)
    hmmm, two Mazda's in the top 50 most researched here. Only MV's represented are the Sienna and Odyssey.

Most Researched Vehicles

Steve, Host
    Interesting theory just4fun2. You are proposing that because the Ford, GM, and Mazda minivans can't compete with the "superior" Ody/Sienna vans in the various "versus" forums...there owners give up and go to other sites. Instead of fighting a lost battle they go off to other sites where they can be with there own kind and live in peace? Why fight a war when the other side has all the ammunition? Well...I admit it sounds reasonable.The Ody and Sienna are two of the most researched vehicles at Edmunds(Ody #6 and Sienna#16)I don't have the numbers, but Chrysler sells more of their vans in a year than Ody, Sienna,Ford and Mazda put together.Yet, if you look at the number of posts in the various forums...the number of Ody or Sienna posts far outnumber their rivals.Why is an Ody or Sienna owner 4 times more likely to post than a MPV,Ford,Kia,GM or Chrysler owner? hmmmm indeed!
    Almost forgot about this one:

Why are the sales numbers so low on a Mazda MPV?

Steve, Host
    Didn't say they can't compete. Domestic buyers might not need to be told how smart they are by the people that own the same vehicles that they do.

What makes "one" van superior over another is decided by the buyer and here is where some van owners want to have a "war of words" and others

would rather not have that exchange. So, they move on.
    Can you check to see if the new FOB for the '05 MPV (key and FOB in one piece) can be used on previous MPV's? Inquiring minds want to know!

-Brian
    Nawww...human nature the way it is,and given the large number of Chrysler vans sold, I'm inclined to believe the "don't fight the war you can't win" theory.To suggest that Honda/Sienna owners are the arrogant/boastful/insecure types is incorrect.

The Ford Freestar obviously cannot compete.It is my understanding that Ford will be dropping the Freestar lineup as it has been a sales failure.Mazda has a smaller market share,so there post numbers aren't going to be as high as the others. Since Ody and Sienna are the most researched minivans by far...maybe these people want to feel as though all this extra effort/money spent is rewarded with the reassurance and positive feedback from fellow owners/posters?
  • hrngffcrhrngffcr Member Posts: 90
    I still favor the MPV among the various vans. But it does not have the option amenities that would close the sale for me (heated seats, auto climate control, dual power seats, split 3rd row seat, etc). Part of the inactivity on this site may be many people, like myself, are waiting to see what Mazda does in 2006 and 2007 with the MPV. Keep it in the lineup at all, add the additional amenities, a bigger engine, a larger overall size? Hopefully Mazda will be as innovative as in the past and create some new interest and excitement in a year or so. That's what I'm hoping for.
    There's no reason to stop posting here just to wait and see what's around the corner for '06 and '07. There's plenty to talk about with the current models. Anyone want to talk tires? How 'bout talking about preventitive manitenance like changing fluids and filters? Anybody got any interesting mods they'd like to talk about?
    You can come to the Mazda Mania chat tonight and not talk there too!

Link's on the left and the chat opens in an hour and twenty minutes from this post. All welcome, lurkers or not.

Steve, Host
    Yeah,I'd like to talk tires. Though I only have 3,600 miles on our MPV and won't have to worry about it for awhile...the 17 inch dunlop tires are a bit stiff.Would like a tire that is a bit softer for a smoother ride...sacrificing a bit on performance though.Heard Michelin hydroplanes were pretty good.Any other ideas?
    I have the 16" Dunlops on my '03 LX and I can't wait to replace them. The ride on these 16's is very choppy, I can imagine how harsh the ride is on your 17's. I am getting away from performance tires all together. I'm going with the Yokohama Avid Touring, which is an all-season, 80K mile touring tire (as the name implies), and I've been told they are a significant improvement in ride quality and road noise over the Dunnies. I don't know if you'll have as much of a choice in touring tires in a 17" size, but the selection is fairly plentiful in a 16. I will be replacing these tires as soon as I receive my income tax refund. I can't wait to find out how much better they ride.
    Right, there is not a whole lot of choice in the 17" size. But, I thought that the 16" Dunlops were not as comfortable as those with 17". At least thats what I read in ConsumerGuides review of the MPV. States that the 17" were "more comforable and controlled than the 16's " I have not ridden in an MPV with the 16's so I really don't know. We only put around 6k-7k on our cars a year...so it'll be about 3 years before making a switch.We have the lifetime free tire deal through our dealer...but I don't know if I want to spend a lifetime with those Dunlops.
  • kinkokinko Member Posts: 48
    my 04 has the 16" dunlops and I feel that the ride is rough (choppy?) and steering wheel feels the shimmy all the time, even though I'd taken them to the tire store and balanced them with the Hunter 9700 machine. My dealer also offered me the lifetime tires thing that requires me to pay for 4 wheel alignment each year. I assume that they will put in another set of Dunlops when the time comes. I really do like these tires at all. The stock Bridgestone Dueler tires on my CR-V is the worst. The good side is that they could not last very long, and I'll need new tires prior to 30k miles.
    Yeah,ride could definitely be a bit smoother for my taste.But, did not want the Ody or Sienna which ride a lot softer.Do not feel any shimmy in steering wheel though. My dealer requires the following for lifetime free tires:oil/filter change every 5,000 miles,tire rotation every 6,000 miles,air and fuel filter replacement every 30,000(don't they have to take out the fuel tank for that..read somewhere some vehicles are like that...doubt MPV though),plugs&coolant every 30,000 miles, a couple other things at 60k and 100k.Oil changes at my dealer are $28..so I'm sure they are probably getting most of their money back.Don't know if dealers would credit you for what new dunlops cost and allow you to buy the tires you want.Anybody know?
  • kinkokinko Member Posts: 48
    the services I'll ask them to do are the following every 30000 miles: transmission and coolant fluid. Oil & filter every 5000 miles. 4-wheel alignment and tire rotation once a year.

These sticky Dunlop tires won't last very long. I guess I should ask them about the brand of replacement tires first. Most likely it's going to be the Dunlops or Yokohoma? cheap tires.

I know that most tire stores would match Costco and Sam's club price. The bad side is these clubs do not have alignment service.