Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's a nit-picky list, no offense, but it is. If that's the biggest complaints you have, well then Subaru deserves a pat on the back.

Go to some other boards, the complaint list looks like this:

* my doors are rusting (Mazda 6)
    * my CR-V spontaneously combusted and burned to a crisp
    * engine stalled on the highway (several)
    * electrical gremlins (many Europeans)

Tires suck? That's the best you got? ;-)

-juice
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    I have a few intermittent rattles that I have been trying to take care of (A pillars and Rear passenger seat belt).

Also, the sub makes a funny tinny noise when people speak and the base is up (probably the metal cover again).

Have had a plastic pin above the dead peddle that works its way out every month-2 months, but this seems to have been fixed recently at a different dealership.

Mine is a late '02 WRX, but love driving it!
    I have this whine from my back seat, but I think it's my kid asking, "Are we there yet?". ;-)

-juice
    "I have this whine from my back seat, but I think it's my kid asking, "Are we there yet?". ;-)"

- O.K., that is definitely more annoying and harsher than any of my issues!!! Unfortunately, it can not be fixed by just using a different vehicle (unless you leave the kids in the original vehicle.).
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    For anybody out there looking to get into an STi, there's a dealership (Manifredi Subaru, I think) That has been advertising (for a few weeks now) that it has 2 STi WRXs in stock and is advertising them for $28K & change.

The "Cruise" button on my Prelude is always engaged as long as the button remains depressed. I just have to set the cruise control (which is a rarity these days) using the buttons on the steering wheel.

Great comment calling the upcoming Saab 9-2 A "Saabaru." While many of the purists here will disagree with the upcoming 9-2's entire existence, it is a great thing for Saab and Subaru. I'm sure the Saab will have a few more luxury touches. As a former Saab owner, I can tell you that the seats (while oddly shaped) are very comfortable for both highway cruising and spirited off-ramps. Saab has a great chassis and engine to work with. GM will be able to produce more components for the engine, drivetrain, chassis...therefore possibly lowering the cost of the WRX and passing it on to the consumer.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Close your sleepy eyes,
    My little Saabaru,
    While the light of the western skies,
    Is shinin' down on you.
    Don't you know it's time for bed,
    Another day is through.
    So go to sleep,
    My little Saabaru.

Ed
  • bamawrxbamawrx Member Posts: 22
    I figured I would touch off some emotions with my petty list. It is true the complaints list is quite short, which shows just how great of a car this really is. The dude writing the article will hopefully make this point.

As for the cruise control, I've had numerous cars that would remain "on" so to speak as long as the main switch was turned on.

I will need some explanation on the sun roof though. How is that a safety issue? Seems to me having both hands on the wheel would be more beneficial than any anti-buffeting feature.

One touch buttons are a cheap thing to do, and it shouldn't be too much to ask for a couple $2 switches. Even after market would be fine.

I like leather and would gladly pay the additional fee for it.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    So that you don't crush someone's head/hands in it.

One touch buttons, need to have sensors for anti-crush as well.

"As for the cruise control, I've had numerous cars that would remain "on" so to speak as long as the main switch was turned on. "

Yeah but once you turn the ignition off, it goes off. Same on the subies.

"I like leather and would gladly pay the additional fee for it."
    Not an issue, your dealer would/could have easily had this installed for a fee. For the manufacturer, you need at least X% of the buyers to want it.

-mike
    -mike
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    bama: there are plenty of leather kits for the WRX -- snoop around on the net.

Craig
  • bamawrxbamawrx Member Posts: 22
    My rx7 would not reset the dash on/off button when the car was turned off. You could leave it in the "on" position all the time and then activate the cruise control with the steering column controls. Now the anti-crushing aspect to the sunroof is a valid safety argument. The resistance sensors may be costly. I can live with that explaination.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Hmmm, my RX-7 (3rd gen) does reset the cruise to off when you shut off the engine. My Pathfinder does as well. My previous SUV (4Runner) did. I have not owned a car that didn't. I'm pretty sure it's required by DOT that they do since at least 1990. Even the aftermarket ZT-1 "Driving Computer" I had did, and that was in 1985. Half of them reset the cruise even when slowing down below about 60 km/hr (not off, just no speed entered).

Perhaps you have had exceptions.
    Just replaced the OEM Potenza RE92s with the same sized Michelin Pilot Sport A+Ss.

Thought the RE92s handled well and were agile. After replacing them with the Michelins, now I see why everyone was so down on them. The car feels completely different! The car sticks much better in turns and makes the car feel more stout (not as much as a BMW, but closer).

I also notice a little bit of the BMW effect with the new tires that I did not experience with the old ones. The car leans in a little on turns, then holds a little like it is on rails!

Now I see what everyone was commenting about with the old tires. BTW, even though I live in SoCal, the reason for going with the Pilot Sport A+S over the basic Pilot Sports were - better noise and tread wear and the ability to drive them in snow (for skiing), even though I do give a little up in the handling area.
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    In Flushing, NY, the police is setting up 2 road blocks to catch any mod car in the past 2 weeks. I had seen 2 WRXs and 3 CIVICs got caught (given tickets). They check the suspension height and muffer. I got stopped by them twice but I was OK because eveything is stock on mine. It seems like they pay more attention on Honda and WRX.

Luk
    "In Flushing, NY, the police is setting up 2 road blocks to catch any mod car in the past 2 weeks. I had seen 2 WRXs and 3 CIVICs got caught (given tickets). They check the suspension height and muffer. "

- There are laws in NY for modified cars???!!!! I can understand things like if the muffler is too loud, but suspension? I assume this is just for road clearance (muffler and suspension). If the car is street legal, what is the issue?
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    Yea, I think they want to check the road clearance. They did "LOOK" at the height of the front bumper. They even checked me out while I was stopping in the traffic light. They suddently jumped out from the side walk. I thought they were catching "seat belt". One was standing in front of my car (looking at my bumper), another is checking out my muffler.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    There is a minimum bumper height required by law. Remember in the 70s when all the nice imports switched to big rubber bumpers to meet U.S. safety regulations? So that is probably what they are looking at, not necessarily ground clearance. Although I can't figure out for the life of me how a lowered Civic (unless REALLY extreme) has a bumper under a Lambo or Ferrari. So maybe I'm way off.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• lackofdavelackofdave Member Posts: 37
    I appreciate those writing into the list to help me with my article. I wanted a few pointers of things to look out for while testing.

Basically the pros I came up with were the obvious performance, handling and all weather capability. The WRX size is also perfect for city driving. you can squeeze into any space on the street. That's a major plus.

Heater was amazing. cold weather has set in here and I was warm in seconds. Cruise control was fine for me. Only used it once though ;)

Loved the seats, steering wheel, gauges. And that's about all I loved inside.

I was really disappointed with the "basics" of the car. The stereo even w/6-disc changer was horrible. Does everyone just go to circuit city and upgrade? That would be my first stop.

The cupholders? ridiculous. the one in the center console by the shifter can only fit a soda can or small water bottle. Would a starbucks cup even fit in there?

On long drives on the highway the car is tricky. it handles better at 85 than at 65. And the whole time is very loud.

Not having the keyless trunk was a major pain and the keyless system overall was sub-par having to repeatedly hit the buttons and have the car beep two or three times before opening the passenger doors.
    Even the gas cap was hard to get off.

Match those with the price and I'm really surprised the car is as popular as it is.

I did love the car's handling and engine. I don't know if that would ever convince me to buy one though after "living" with everything else first hand.

Dave

PS- I have nothing against subaru. Was trying to do a pretty unbiased "everyday" road test. I just reviewed the Mazda 6 S and it was fully decked out with leather, Bose 6 disc, moonroof (not on my WRX), sports package exterior etc. And was $2K less! Oh and that car pushes 220 hp too. Just no turbo. Sure the handling was nowhere near the WRX but as an everyday car it was much more comfortable.
    And Mazda includes "free rust" now, too. ;-)

Just teasing, I do own a Miata.

But seriously, I liked the 6 but found several negatives with that model, too:

* no break-away mirrors (I guess they just break off)
    * no toe space under the front seats
    * usual FWD limitations, i.e. torque steer

It's among the best FWD sedans, though, if you live in a warm climate and don't mind a little tug at the steering wheel on occasion.

-juice
  • rrickarricka Member Posts: 1
    my 2002 wrx wagon gives off a distinct oil smell in the passenger compartment after waming up and run for awhile--- only in park and when the heater is on---- any thoughts? thanks-- rick
    Toe space?
    Are you serious? You can easily fit 3 people in the back of the 6 and I had a hard time squeezing one person in the WRX back seats. I don't think he noticed his toes slipped under the seats or not. Regardless you dont' get a WRX for 4 people. Just one.
    If it means anything, when I was looking at vehicles to purchase (2002), I had narrowed the two cars down to the Subaru WRX and a Maxima SE manual with LSD. The Maxima's interior was superior to the WRX's, and IMHO just as good if not better than the 6's. It also had a stronger engine than either. Price was about the same (Maxima, I was going to get sunroof and the Bose system).

It basically came down to - driving and handling (and a great front seat!) vs. interior and image. I went for the former. There really is nothing in the WRX's price range, including the 6 that can compare to the driving experience (power-train and handling) of the WRX. The 6 does not. If the WRX has the same tires as the 6 (17" and either 215 or 225) it would handle as well, if not better, on the skidpad. The WRX, due to its 4-wheel drive setup also has the advantage of now plowing into turns (the rear wheels actually drive the car around a turn!). Thus it is more agile. The WRX is also faster due to its lighter weight and other factors.

My decision between the WRX and the Max was what do I want? A practical sports car, or a nicely appointed sports sedan. I really wanted the sports car, and thus got the WRX. Despite my whining about rattles, I would probably buy the car again today. It is just a blast to drive!

One last comment - I mainly drive on the highway (putting well over 20K miles a year, and occasionally taking 400 mile trips) and have found the WRX a good highway car. The noise is acceptable as well as the ride. The seats are great.
    I would not even compare the Mazda 6 and the WRX in the same sentence!! The 6 belongs in a comparison with the Accord or something like that, certainly not an AWD sports sedan!

Some rebuttal:

I was really disappointed with the "basics" of the car. The stereo even w/6-disc changer was horrible. Does everyone just go to circuit city and upgrade? That would be my first stop.

Actually, it's the stock speakers that suck. The upgrade speakers are much better, or you can throw in some aftermarket ones. I put Rockford Fosgates in my WRX, with the stock head unit and factory sub-woofer, and am very happy with the sound.

The cupholders? ridiculous. the one in the center console by the shifter can only fit a soda can or small water bottle. Would a starbucks cup even fit in there?

Yep, it will fit regular sized cups. I got a large soft-drink cup in there today, and routinely have coffee cups.

On long drives on the highway the car is tricky. it handles better at 85 than at 65. And the whole time is very loud.

Pick some other sports cars in the same league, and the WRX will compare pretty well.

Not having the keyless trunk was a major pain and the keyless system overall was sub-par having to repeatedly hit the buttons and have the car beep two or three times before opening the passenger doors.

I've seen other writers gripe about the beeps too. You just need to look on the back of the remote and it will tell you how to turn the beeps off. Most cars are like this nowadays.

Also, most people prefer not unlocking ALL doors with the remote by default, hence the 1-2 procedure. That's also fairly common among various makes.

Even the gas cap was hard to get off.

??? Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey!!

Craig
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    They might have also been checking for the height of your front plate. I'm pretty sure that there is a minimum clearance for the front plate (which might not be if your car is lowered).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

The WRX is actually faster than anything Mazda currently sells to the public in the US. The 6 was timed in 0-60 in the lower 7 sec. range by Consumer Reports - approx March '03(yes them, hey they are unbiased), the RX8 at 6.7 secs Dec. 03, and the WRX 6.2 secs (approx. Dec. 01)
    I totally agree the WRX is a better performing car and mentioned that many times. But like any sports car you have to give up certain things. Especially convenience.

For driving around town I think the WRX is amazing. Trunk space is great. There were just little things that were extremely bothersome. Not being able to park the 6 in Chicago was REALLY bothersome.

And yes the gas cap I had stuck, did not say "click three times" or Even once so how do you know when to stop turning? These days every cap has a different click etc. So I was just being cautious.

And yes my car has a remote and if you click it once-then twice right in a row it opens both doors. Pretty simple. The WRX is annoying and you can't do one-two. You have to do 1-2-3 often to get it right.

That's what I meant by every day driving. Think you guys missed all the good things I said about it ;)
    The Mazda6 is a mid-size sedan, and I test drove it and compared it to its peers, the Altima, Accord, and Camry. Leg room in all of those is better, i.e. you can stretch your legs by placing your feet under the front seat.

The WRX is a compact, plus it's a lot sportier. Really the RS is a closer match for the Mazda6, both hit 60 in the 7 second range, and the RS is substantially cheaper.

-juice
    This is a WRX forum, and people here are particular to their cars (like me). As a result, people will defend their cars when people bring in nits that they have with the cars in question.

With the stereo, have you tried the upgraded one? I think it sounds good. Great bass!
    I totally agree the WRX is a better performing car and mentioned that many times. But like any sports car you have to give up certain things. Especially convenience.

For driving around town I think the WRX is amazing. Trunk space is great. There were just little things that were extremely bothersome. Not being able to park the 6 in Chicago was REALLY bothersome.

And yes the gas cap I had stuck, did not say "click three times" or Even once so how do you know when to stop turning? These days every cap has a different click etc. So I was just being cautious.

And yes my car has a remote and if you click it once-then twice right in a row it opens both doors. Pretty simple. The WRX is annoying and you can't do one-two. You have to do 1-2-3 often to get it right.

That's what I meant by every day driving. Think you guys missed all the good things I said about it ;)
    I know we're a little touchy sometimes, and I appreciate your clarification.

Subaru's remotes are not the best at far distances, but should be pretty reliable when you're 5-10 ft from the car. If not, I would suspect the remote's battery may need to be replaced.

I think all new cars past a certain date have a ratcheting fuel filler cap, it's part of the emission control system and satisfies federal regulations. Technically, the cap should be tight enough after 1 or more clicks. If the cap in your test car was behaving differently, perhaps it needed to be adjusted.

I guess the way I look at it, the WRX is a tremendous sports car for the money when you consider the power, handling, AWD, etc... It's definitely not a family car or something the majority of people can get comfortable in as a daily driver. For a $22-26K sports car, however, it's hard to beat. I haven't seen anything in the price range that comes close. BTW, my previous sports car was a Honda Prelude SH, which stickered at around $27K in 1997. The WRX is a far better sports car, and I paid around $22K for it in 2003.

Craig
  • mack1952mmack1952m Member Posts: 2
    Hi y'all! Here's my .02 worth: my WRX serves me well as my daily driver, commuter car, family car, etc.. I absolutely love driving it, so it doesn't matter if I'm hauling kids to basketball practice, running to Walmart, driving to work, or anywhere; the car is a blast to drive. It's quiet and smooth-riding enough for my family, and it also runs with the hot rods when and if I ask it to do such things. The wagon would probably suit me even better, but I personally prefer the looks of the sedan.
      It's like my old '95 Mustang GT convertible, except it has a usable trunk and 4 doors! (okay, and a few other things here and there... ha).

Happy WRX-ing!!
      Ken
    Hmm, other than they are both cars and have 4 doors and 4 wheels and japanese nameplate, what exactly about them would you compare? I find that similar to them comparing a '98 Rodeo to a honda accord, then complaining about the gas milage of the Rodeo!!!!

-mike
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    chiming in with my $.02 to you, LackofDave! I know my feelings would be biased and I wouldn't want to give the impression that I'm arguing on behalf of my company. But - I do have to say ONE thing - based on my experiences with the folks here. The WRX drivers that post here are really very knowledgeable about the technology behind the vehicle and the performance aspect (which you bestowed the appropriate props). I think that the folks that buy this vehicle aren't really focused on the cup holder type of design as much as the other aspects. I guess it's a matter of what's important to you. FWIW - we take information provided here to get improvements in the vehicles and I know that they are taken seriously. Check out the "suggestions" board. There's a wonderful amount of sharing here at Edmunds.

Now - I'll shut up and let you folks have fun!

Patti
    "I think that the folks that buy this vehicle aren't really focused on the cup holder type of design as much as the other aspects. "

- If it means anything, with the Max vs. the WRX, I went to go testdrive the Max and the WRX back to back with a good friend of mine. After testdriving the Max, we approached the WRX and went to go sit down. My friend exclaimed, why are you even looking at this car when you get so much more with the Max?

After the testdrive, he told me to get the WRX. I did. True story.
    Hey all,
    Sorry to have bothered you with my posts. I'll go running now.
    I didn't realize by sharing my thoughts I'd bother people. I'd seen many of the same complaints I found on this very board. They were very minor things. I wasn't insulting anyone's family or anything.
    I'm very glad there are this many subaru enthusiasts out there. that's very cool.

As far as comparing apples and oranges the one commonality I was mainly suggesting was brought up in this last post was they are compareable in price, horsepower and yes are 4 doors. That was about it. Someone else said the WRX is not a car for cup holder people. Well there you go, that was my point. It isn't supposed to be an "accord" like car therefore it isn't made for comfort etc. It's made for performance. But It's still guised as a 4-door and wagon (the most soccer mom genre out there) so it does have a slight identity crisis. Something the common reader will not understand.

No car is perfect and I was just pointing out the things I didn't like. Of course the performance can outweigh a lot of things. and it's good to know all of you feel that way.

So in sumation the WRX is the perfect car.
    Perfect sports car
    Perfect family car
    Perfect Economy car...what else...
    Perfect minivan...oh wait...
    Just teasing.
    Take care.

Dave
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    We actually enjoy sharing our thoughts and opinions. I read back throught he post and I don't think we/or anyone took it personnally. I hope none of the sharing was being defensive!

Actually, I'd love to see you buy a Subaru one day and hang out with us here more! Your thoughts were very valid and well written. I'm sorry if it appeared that we weren't responsive in the way you anticipated.

So, come on back!!

Patti
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    He's destined to own a Subaru ;-)

-Dave
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Yeah, you shouldn't be concerned with cupholders on 227 h.p. AWD car. :-D Even though I added UK rear cupholders myself. ;-)

Same for the stereo. My first ride in a WRX was with a guy that just drove it from Tampa to NYC (Weasel). We were stuck in traffic and I went to find the news station on the radio, but the radio hadn't been set yet. I asked what the heck he listened to on the drive from FL to NY and he said, "The turbo, mate!!".

The sub/amp is a decent upgrade IMO, if you want to keep the stock look. Just take a CD to the dealer before you buy one (although the sub can be set differently by each dealer and the adjustments are tricky to get to).

-Dennis
    After I installed the Prodrive muffler, I spend a lot of time just listening to the car -- it sounds so awesome. Screw the radio!!

Craig
    What do you mean you were teasing?! ;-)

hypov is right, demographically, he is destined to own a Subaru. About 40% of Subaru owners are named "Dave", including hypov himself.

Cup holders? Is *that* what those are? I thought it was there to hold your spare brake fluid and PS fluid when you went to the track. Oh well, live and learn.

-juice
  • schizaschiza Member Posts: 31
    I'm getting weird noises as I steer the car, almost like a grinding, it goes away as the car warms up. I though it might be a power steering belt being loose. The dealership tightened it up, but the noise is still there. I also have a slight vibration as I make slow turns under 10 mph. The vibration happens frequently but not all the time. Does anyone know what this could be. I had the tires rotated, steering belt checked, I will bring back to the dealership.
    Turn the wheel -- is the noise there when the car is stopped, rolling, or both?

Does the noise vary with vehicle speed? engine speed?

We had an odd steering noise when our 03 Forester was a couple months old. Turns out it was a small piece of plastic air dam (in front of the tires) that had come loose and was rubbing on the tire. About 1/4 of it got worn away before I noticed the problem! I was able to tuck it back into place and reattach with some screws (the original fasteners were long gone). I'm guessing it was either loose from the factory or got knocked off somehow (maybe my wife goes offroading or something....).

Craig
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    I think some people get confused with the WRX as it is built in a 4 dr Impreza sedan body. That was just for economics. If Subaru had built the car "from scratch" (its' own body etc), it would have been much more expensive. The way it was done, the development and production costs of many of the components are shared with a "high volume" car line, the Impreza (further increasing the volume - and giving the design more exposure). It should be thought of as a "hot-rod limited production specialty car" built using some parts from a "volume production car".

David
    No Soccor moms here drive anything less than a Lincoln Navigator, Excalade, or H2.

Even the cheapo ones won't be caught dead in a wagon or minivan!

-mike
  • schizaschiza Member Posts: 31
    The noise happens when moving and when it's cold, it does go away after about 5 minutes of running the car. The vibration can happen at any time. both problems started around the same time. Sometimes the I can feel a tremble through the steering wheel as I turn it without the car moving.
  • 1hokie1hokie Member Posts: 36
    I saw someone with a WRX sedan on the roads today - went to give him the "nod" as I drove by (in traffic) and noticed his antenna wasn't even up! The guy had tinted windows, so I didn't both with the "nod" thing. Guess he likes listening to his car too (he had an aftermarket exhaust of some sort).
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    Hi Dave,
     Welcome the world of loyal to a fault Subaru nuts. They will defend Subaru's no matter how constructive the criticism. It actually does say a lot about a car company that can foster such unabashed loyalty.
      Hi Patti,
     Well if your really interested let me make some suggestions, in no particular order, mind you some of them are really off the wall.
      Get rid of that tiny sound the doors make upon closure. I've gotta believe your loosing customers by the score before they even take a test drive. Unfortunately even the perception of quality no matter how poorly based can make a difference in sales.
      While were on the doors how about that neat trick Audi does so that there is a slight pause that prevents the doors from swinging completely out with out a subtle second nudge. Those lights that beam back to alert on coming drivers and shine down to expose lurking puddles and other hazards are cool too.
       How about lighting all the controls so that you can find them in dark? I'd really like illumintaion to tell me that child doors and locks are appropriately engaged. How about all lighting controls such as fog lamps on the same stalk? Those fog lamps should be able to be independently lit as well. Those stalks are also hidden by the steering wheel in some positions. Auto 1 touch up down with sensors for the windows and sun roof would be cool. The winter safety sun roof option really belongs on the wagon. Many people with children opt for wagons, don't children deserve extra safety? Many people with pets opt for the wagon. The wagon with all that extra glass could really use that upward ventilation. The center seat belt on the wagon negates the practicality by crossing over the span of the cargo area. The LATCH system is a joke. That it doesn't accommodate seating in the safest center position is a serious oversight. Why not enable those with older (bigger/heavier) learning disabled children the opportunity to secure them in an appropriate booster/belt? Built in boosters would be nice. How about a 66/33 split rear seat so that one could expand the cargo area and still have room for two children in the back. Those seat belts are nuisance. Pull completely out retract and tug, each and every time to secure a child? How about a self enclosed dog gate that can be folder or retracted as needed? Could keep parcels from flying over too.
    How about space in the rear compartment of the wagon for the roof rack? How about a full sized spare tire and appropriate space (including optional wheels)? How about using the air compressor to maintain tire pressure. How about a cubby for the drivers cell phone with retracting power cord. A fold down cubby with power receptacle for a radar detector. How about a fold down video screen for the rear passangers? How about a navigation system for the driver? How about paddle shifting? How about being able to remove a front seat and sliding over the tilt and telescoping control pod and adjustable floor pedals to accommodate a center driving position for the driver? How about a glove box with a separate lower compartment for the owners manual,etc? How about a center cubby that can accommodate CD's, DVD's? How about better quality lit mirrored sun visors? How about map pockets on the back the front seats? How about leather seats, a lot easier to wipe down for those of us with kids and pets? How about moving the wheels to the far corners for less front and rear overhang (could be a good thing for rally racing)? Those arches are too big too. How about moving the engine back behind the front wheels to allow for a front mid engine vehicle with 50/50 weight distribution? How about having a wagon with enough cargo area to accommodate a large dog carrier or two? How about reducing the width of that pregnant center dash console? Knee room is already dear (and I'm a really short). That rear window and tail treatment both in and out is tasteless. Those side vents scream 1970's Datsun. While we're at it does the car have to so conspicuosly scream "Yo, cops over here". It's alot easier to carry on dressed as Clark Kent than Superman. Those bulges gotta go. How about the better 17" wheels and brakes the rest of the world gets. Those tires are a mistake too. The gas cap is too sensitive. That little button near the dead pedal keeps coming loose. How about defogger's all around including mirrors? Less turbo lag, more low end grunt with more linear power delivery. Rear reading lights. Separate heat and A/C controls for left, right, front and rear. Power antenna. Wiring for stereo sub woofers. The wagon with it's higher center of gravity should have at least the same track width as the sedan. Most important of all, an STi WAGON! Make that STi WAGON available with a high quality performance oriented all Season rubber option. I haven't had the opportunity to actually drive an STi, but, I wonder if better gearing, tighter turning radius, twin scroll turbo, automatic water spray, better rear LSD, plus all of the above would be a good idea, HA!
      Before everyone jumps all over me. I shopped around, and my priorities would have me buy another WRX wagon in a heartbeat. From my way of thinking I got all the really important stuff from an Audi S4 Avant for less money than a stripped down 1.8T. Unless Audi chops off 15K from the S4 my next car will be the long awaited STi wagon! A sporty, practical, affordable, efficient, go any where, any time machine. Nobody has anything like it for less than $15K more! At this point in time I'm one of those Subaru nuts, too.
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Er... wrong thread. I think Suggestions is where you want to be ;-)

-Dave
    I'm such a knuckle head sometimes! Anybody have any suggestions on how I can transfer this silliness to the appropriate site. I'm not up to doing it again. Thanks in advance!
    Merrycynic mentions getting rid of the buldges, yet wants the wagon to have a wide track and 17" tires...... Kinda odd if you ask me.

And would you be willing to pay $30K+ for said vehicle? The vehicle you are looking for is something similar to the SVX, but those were priced too high for the "subaru crowd" perhaps you will like the 9-2 much better, as it will basically be a WRX wagon with a toned down body, and more creature comforts inside.

-mike
    Paisan,
       I can understand your response. I just thought they could make a wider wagon using the same styling cues. If the only way to get a wider track is with the bulges, so be it, I'll take the bulges. The Saabaru might be the ticket, but I was under the impression that it would be a three door, which doesn't work for me, and there would be no chance for an STi. I'm still hoping for that STi wagon!
This discussion has been closed.