Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• jtlucejtluce Member Posts: 7
    What does the term RSES mean?
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    RSES = Rear Seat Entertainment System... i.e. a flat screen monitor, VCP (video cassette player), etc. (some include DVD player, game console,...)
    The 2001 MPV's have $1000 of Dealer Incentive AND Mazda is offering 0% 24 month financing to customers. My dealer is claiming that I cannot have both. Is this true? Seems to me that these are two seperate issues, but of course I want everything. Commments Please.
  • markinbaltomarkinbalto Member Posts: 3
    We desperately need a minivan.4 kids in the back seat of a taurus is enough to give any adult high blood pressure.My wife fell in love with the MPV.I however was very concerned about the engine.I read something about a more powerful engine (3.0 liter).Is that true.Will it be for 2001 vans mid year? I dont think we can wait if it will be available only in 2002 models.Thanks
    I have pondered the same issue. There is a rumor that there will be a mid-year 3.0 engine, however, it is only a rumor. The dealers are not very informative, assuming they even know. But, think about it. IF there is a change coming they would not advertise it know otherwise they would find it more difficult to sell the 2.5's. Also, if there is a change you can bet it will be more expensive and probably no discounts. I for one have decided that it isn't that big of a deal and would rather get a great price NOW. Most of the people on this board seem to think that the power under most conditions is just fine. I had a 94 MPG for a few years (4 cyl) and only rarely noticed the lack of power, like the time I drove over the Rocky Mountains at one of the highest points, but I made it. I just need to find a dealer that will give me all of the rebates and the 0% financing. Good Luck with your decision.
  • jktaxjktax Member Posts: 7
    done shopping around for my 2001 ES. Saw a dealer sheet on the current promos. read like a chinese menu..you can either have 1)RSES or $1,000 dollar Factory to Dealer incentive or 2) special lease deal or factory to dealer incentive or 3) financing special or factory to dealer incentive. cannot combine any of the two. Here's what I will end up with for $25840 plus tax. Silver ES with fog lights, roof rack, 4 seasons, mats, cargo net, rear bumper step plate, and RSES. A little less than edmunds TMV. This price was from the first dealer I went to, little or no haggle. other dealers visited in person or via phone were $200 - $1000 higher.
  • wpennerwpenner Member Posts: 25
    I spoke to someone in Mazda customer service yesterday to address some of my questions about the MPV (Thinking about getting a 2000 LX soon). She said:

1. A more powerful engine is slated for the 2003 model year, not before.

2. It will still be a Ford engine.

3. The 2002 are already in production. She suggested it is likely that 2002 will be available soon and 2003 may be early as well (e.g., next spring).

Don't know if there is any truth to all this, but the one thing she seemed most clear about is the news about the more powerful engine for 2003. I don't think I will wait. Engine power seems to be a non-issue for most owners. I want enough power to pass on 2 lane highways without majore stress.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated!

Wendy
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    Don't waste another day. Get a deal like the previous post and be a happy MPV'er. Just compare what a Chevy Venture with the looney tunes stuff on it will cost. I think you will be running to get the same deal as JKTAX.
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    Gee,

I didn't realize you could get a Sienna loaded up to $34k-$35k. I The only things it had that out MPV didn't was an entertainment system.

I think I'll keep that $5k-$10k in my pocket. Our family needs it more than Toyota.

TB
  • westanizerwestanizer Member Posts: 5
    Hello fellow MPVers. I have lurked around the forums here for a month or so since I got my new 2000 MPV. I just wanted to add some comments on my buying experience as well as my thoughts on the van. I got a 2000 Emerald Mica ES with a roof rack, rear air, bumper step, and fogs. I printed up all of the info on the web I could find here at Edmunds and eslewhere and shared everything as well as my notes with the salesman as soon as I walked in. I got pre-approved financing off of the web as well. We picked out my van and I checked it out and decided I wanted to try for it. It came out to around 24,600. The best part of all is the fact that Mazda gave me 6.9 financing for the entire cost of the van and I have less than perfect credit. Not one penny down, no trade, nothing. I walked in, signed, and drove out in just a little over an hour! I surprised my wife with if for Christmas. My salesman even gave me a big red bow to put on it. We love the van! It has been perfect and defect free for the first 500 miles so far and we couldn't be happier. It has been officially named the "Road Runner" becuase of the beep sound of the horn. Anyway I just wanted to say Hi and share my experience. Wes
  • drdrevansdrdrevans Member Posts: 17
    Hi All,

My MPV story: I too was worried about the power (I "grew up" [sort of] driving a built 6.6 liter Trans Am), but I shopped and shopped and everything else about the MPV was just right so I took the plunge. It's fine. Our other car is a '97 SOHC Explorer, which isn't all THAT fast but sure has plenty of torque, but in comparison the MPV isn't too bad. After all, it's not a sports car.

Those who are considering one might hunt a little for a 2000 model. We got an LX, with 6-cd, touring, 4-seasons, and rear air (sticker, $26,300) for about $21,300 + taxes, etc. (Came to just over $23k out the door with GA's exhorbitant taxes and fees.) I too looked at Toyotas, but goodness, one equipped the same way would have easily been over 26k even with a decent deal. This is my fourth Mazda over the past 10 years (626, B2500, Protege) and I've always found the dealers to be OK and the deals excellent. So if you want an MPV don't wait another 15 months for that bigger engine. Don't really need it, and you can get a sensational deal!
  • elayelay Member Posts: 2
    We did not get racks on our new MPV.

Do I need the Mazda rails up there if I want to put stuff on top? Does anybody have any experience with aftermarket arrangements which have worked?

I imagine I will need to have stuff up top only occasionally -- perhaps the odd bike, skis, or container of camping gear.

Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yakima and Thule are the biggest names in aftermarket racks, but they're spendy. They may not have fit kits for your vehicle yet. Unless you need to put something directly on the roof, you could probably skip the rails. Some containers don't suspend from the racks though, and could scratch the paint.

Anyone with rack experience with the MPV?

Steve
    Host
    SUV and Vans Message Boards
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Thule has a tower and clip setup for the MPV, but I haven't seen it. Yakima does not have a Q-Clip for the MPV, but you can attach it on roof-top rails, just like the factory system. I'm a Yakima fan, so I bought parts to put my gear on it. Figure on spending $300 for a rack, plus accessories.

This is exactly what you'd need for the Yakima rack:

54" Tracks - You have to DRILL into the roof

2 Sets of RailRiders - Towers to mount the bars, removeable in no time.

48" Bar set - Longer if you want... I use 54"

Fairing - You'll want this, reduces noise ($50)

Any accessory (bike/ski/canoe/surfboard/case)
    I don't use Yak's bike attachments, I use Rocky Mount brand...cheaper, $40-vs-$80 each.

The drilling wasn't bad. The instructions are very good, and you only drill thru the top layer of the roof, as the screws that hold the rails are self-tapping (took an hour and I didn't rush). Incidentally, these are the same rails that Mazda is using for their factory racks. Load rating for the Yakima is 165lbs-vs-100lbs for the factory rack. Best part is you can take it off when you want in about 2 minutes, and just have the rails there...no wind noise.

But, as Steve said, do you need a rack? If you're carrying bikes, I would recommend the roof racks, and not the tailgate type, since you can't really open the hatch on the van, and your precious bikes are munched if someone rear-ends your beloved MPV. I use our's for skis, 3 mt. bikes and bike trailer, 2 sea kayaks, and a "Space Case," (not all at once) so it's very handy. If you are using a van-top carrier, the Yakima is better since the towers rise higher off the van than the factory or the Thule racks, and would avoide contact w/the roof. But, test before you use to avoid probs.

Where to buy, I go to REI (http://www.rei.com). Their prices are the same or LESS than Yakima's website (http://www.yakima.com), they have sales often on Yakima gear, and the REI staff seems to know alot about rack systems.

Happy racking!

--javadoc
    I'm curious about what people have been paying to dealers for bogus things like advertising, prep, ect. I was very close to purchasing an MPV ES last week and agreed to $300 over invoice (after deducting $1000 dealer rebate). Then I asked about title transfer fees and was informed that there was a $279 prep/adv fee. I refused to pay and the dealer would not budge. So I walked. When posters are claiming to have purchased these vehicles at barely over true dealer cost are they paying a big fee for prep?
  • abbanatabbanat Member Posts: 57
    jtluce,

You were smart not to pay the prep/advertising fee. All you should have to pay is tax, license, and registration. Nothing more.

-Brian
    Here is an interesting thought. I did a comparison of the 2001 Honda, Toyota and Mazda vans, top of the line, but without any add-ons and looked at the trade-in figures for a 2000 of the same model. Honda TMV $28040 Trade-in $22539, Toyota TMV $26953 Trade-in $21622, Mazda TMV $24110 Trade-in $16773. If you believe these figures the Mazda has a much higher depreciation rate than the others, even more so if you consider the Honda TMV is $1200 over MSRP and some dealers are now selling at or below MSRP. I still like the MPV, but one cannot ignore these numbers. Granted this is the first year depreciation and over time the numbers may improve for the MPV. Any Thoughts. John
  • colleenr1colleenr1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to everyone who has contributed, we will shortly own a Black Mica LX, security, 4 seasons, 3-in- audio, rear air, cargo net (?). We are paying out the door price of $23079,with 0% 4 year financing. (Price excludes tax, title and registration which we will do here in NJ.) We are buying in Ma. and pick up van tomorrow. As far as extra fees, the dealer wanted a $95 "documentation fee" which I didn't want to pay since I am doing all the documentation. But with the $95, according to Edmund's prices, he is only making about $169 profit. Guess I'll fight with him tomorrow before we sign the papers but we may give him the full amount.

I have been reading these boards off and on since August 1999, when our family of 5 made our 1991 Ford Explorer seem awfully cramped. (As you can tell we don't make any decisions fast in this family!) At first we were convinced we needed an Odyssey, but the prices and it's huge size deterred us. We loved the way the MPV handled compared to the Chrysler, Ford and Toyota vans. We first went to a dealer in Fall of 1999 but insurance problems (points and settlement for a fraudulent injury) made getting a new car (with extra collision/comprehensive surcharges) too expensive. Insurance problems are mostly solved now so we started looking again at Christmas (2000). Unfortunately the only 2000 LX's left in central NJ were loaded with options, including the GFX-which we thought made the van look too much like a Jersey-car. No offense meant to NJ-ites, but I'm from upstate NY and my husband is from Ma. We currenly have a Honda Civic wagon, and the Explorer (and a 51 GMC 3/4 ton truck) and all are manuals. (We too would have loved to find a minivan with a stick, but guess we'll have to make do with popping off the O/D on hills!)Obviously we don't go for fancy cars. But this time we feel like we have splurged on a very stylish (as well as functional) vehicle.

Seems like everyone here seemed to resolve the few problems that the early 2000 MPV's had. Hope ours is ok. I'll let everyone know. Thanks again everyone.

Oh, as far as the rebates, the person a few posts back seems to have it right. On the 2000's you can get $1750 cash rebate (goes up to $2750 with more options, like entertainment, GFX or touring), OR $500 cash rebate AND current 2001 financing (0%2yr, 2.9% 3 yr, 4.9% 4yr, 6.9 % 5 yr, OR 0% 4year financing (if qualify-it appears that this one is harder to qualify for). Of course maybe there are hidden incentives to dealers right now. Maybe someone can get the big cash rebate and great financing but I couldn't find anyone in NJ or Ma willing to give me both. And most of the dealers seemed pretty sincere about getting rid of their 2000 stock.
  • colleenr1colleenr1 Member Posts: 4
    One more thing, our invoice shows a line item for "portfolio" or POL. Salesman didn't know what it was for. Edmunds doesn't list it. Does anyone know what is involved in the "portfolio" package? It was just under "cargo net" and above the "3-in-1 audio system" on the list of Equipment.
  • john1726john1726 Member Posts: 37
    I do not know where you are from but here in new jersey, every dealer charges a documentation fee. It is anywhere from 99.00 to 299.00.
  • elvis_hooelvis_hoo Member Posts: 12
    Yes, the MPV has a much higher 1st-year depreciation rate than the Sienna and Ody, but that is nothing new. Hondas and Toyotas have always had excellent resale values, partly due to the very high owner loyalty. Mazda just has never had that. One minor quibble: the TMV does not seem to take into account some of the amazing financing deals that are available with the MPV, which can save thousands over the life of the loan (it saved me ~$3000). That could easily bring the depreciation of the MPV right back into line with the Sienna and Ody.

If it still concerns you, be a real dealmaker and buy a 1-year-old MPV! That would be an easy way to take advantage of the MPV's high depreciation in the 1st year. I do suspect that over a few years, the depreciation difference will become much less dramatic. It always does.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    Hi,

I have a question... I have been reading some nice experiences some are having with MPV after switching to synthetic oil (better engine response, etc). When I asked my service rep during last oil change about switching to synth, he told be that Mazda doesn't recommend to use synthetic before 24,000 km. Does this have any sense? If so, why is that? Could it be that in case of synth, I will be replacing oil less frequently and the dealer will have less money from me? Just wondering... Any insight is appreciated.

P.S. MPV is my first (motor) vehicle ever so I'm not that good at all that stuff (yet)... So forgive me if this question appears silly/dumb...
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    There's a great topic elsewhere on synth-vs-dyno oils, I think in "Accessories" but I haven't been there in a while, so I can't remember off the top of my head.

The Mazda dealers, for some reason, don't like to switch the oils over to synth before 15,000 miles (24,000k for y'all metrics). The story I heard is that the parts need to wear in. I switched at 12k miles, and have seen smoother shifts from the tranny fluid change. Can't say I've noticed any increased power or mpg (km/ltr). But, remember, not all synthetic oils are truly synthetic. Castrol, for one, has been marketing a synthetic for the past few years, which has petroleum-based oil in the compound...I'd recommend Mobil 1, Redline, or Amsoil products if you are thinking of taking the petro-plunge.

You may be correct that the dealer's stance on the change is money-driven, but they're probably going by Mazda's recommendations. Our Volvo is serviced at the same dealer as our MPV, and they have no qualms about putting whatever fluid (within reason) I want in it. It's supposed to run sythetic oils tho. I still replace oil every 3,000 miles/3 months tho, just as insurance.

--java
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    He may have concerns about break-in. You want everything to be fully worn in before you use a synthetic as the lubrication properties are different than petroleum/wax based oils.
  • rjr425rjr425 Member Posts: 53
    Thanks to people like you who generously share your experiences and your insights, good deals can still happen.
    I'm just about at the end of a lease on a 98 Cherokee. I've been lurking around these sites since October, checking out what people are saying about their various deals and wheels. Browsing this site about a month ago, I realized that I'd been overlooking the MPV as a potential verhicle. Part of the problem was that I never realized that the car was even in my price range. Once I saw that the price was right and the package seemed to be even more right, I decided to get serious.
    I test-drove a MPV LX on Saturday. My main concern was the reported sluggishness of the engine at low speeds. Well, with three 200+lb people in it over some very hilly Pittsburgh terrain, I'm here to tell you that sluggish is not the word for the MPV's pickup. Stately might be more accurate. I sort of got the feeling that I was guiding the old Queen Elizabeth down the Hudson River. It's no Porsche, but it'll do quite nicely, thank you. It had no trouble whatsoever climbing our steep hills, and if the take off was somewhat slower than my Cherokee's (which goes like a bat with that 190 4L powering it), it was instantaneous and more than I would have credited after reading the comments. So if there are any out there like me who are looking to love but afraid of the pickup, don't be. Plan on it being slower than a sportscar, but don't worry--it's no cement truck.
    So I bought it. Tonight. And I think I did all right on the deal. Here's what I got:
    Sand Mica LX
    Dual Air
    Roof Rack
    LX Security package
    +all the standard DX and LX goodies

MSRP = 25055
    Invoice = 23042
    My cost = 22042 (Dealer incentive)

I think I got a lot of car--an awful lot of car--for that money.

I"m picking it up on Saturday. I'll post periodically to let other potential buyers in on my continuing experiences with it.
    And thanks again to everyone who shared their experiences and --I think and hope--steered me into a good purchase.
  • adamhutadamhut Member Posts: 7
    Re: post #778 Roof racks by elay

I have an 2000 LX with the factory roof rack, but as advised by many folks, even some of whom I consider objective, I purchased a Thule "system." Supposedly, the factory cross bars are not strong enough to carry something as heavy as three bikes, which I believe, so I bought the Thule 751 cross bars that clamp onto the factory rails (the ones running parallel to the length of the car) and then the Thule 525 bike mounts. They are pricey - $180 for the 751 and $70 for the 525 (you need one for each bike you want to carry).

I've carried three bikes several hundred miles on interstates and back roads, and these racks have proven to be sturdy, reliable, and fairly easy on/off.

Hope this helps.
  • KroBankerKroBanker Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are looking to finally delve into the mini van market and have access to several different makes (family dealer discount). We are looking primarily at the Chewy Venture(sortie), the MPG(my choice), or a DC (shortie). Dealer problems wont be an issue, but I am concerned about the "POWER" problem. We have owned Mazdas previously, so reliability is not a question,MX-3 (v-6), and Protege. This will be an extended process as we will be taking our time. Another question is whether to get the rear air/four seasons package as I live in Cincinnati and it gets REALLY humid in the summer. Your thoughts would be appreciated!!!!!!
    Congrats on your new MPV. Sounds like you made a great deal. Did you purchase a 2000 or 2001 LX? I am considering a very similar purchase to yours with a similar price, but for a 2000. Did you get this price on a 2001?

Thanks, and I especially appreciate your perspective on the power question. My husband is hounding me about this issue!

Wendy
    Go back and read the posts on this board. Many have been led to believe by the automotive press that you need a top fuel engine in your mini-van for that sudden lane change. However, as 99% of the posts I have read stated that the power is not an issue. I am on my second 2000 MPV and have driven it from Southern California to the Canadian border with my wife and four kids. Not once did I whine that I need a turbo or Nitrous. About all that I whined about was the speeding ticket in Oregon due to the MPVs cruising ability.

:)
  • zzoom1zzoom1 Member Posts: 31
    We have an ES with the 4 seasons package and rear air. No comparison between the other vans you mentioned. The mazda has good power and actually better power at speed, on freeway with the 24 valve engine. We live in Florida and can attest that the 4 seasons package with rear air is the way to go.
  • corey583corey583 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there. We are considering an MPV vs the Dodge/Chrysler/Honda supervans. My concern is whether 3 kids in car seats is possible in an MPV. We have 2 now (ages 2 and 4 mos.) and are hoping for another in a year or so. I'm a bit worried that once you have three in carseats, the folddown rear seat is not much use. And there is not much left as far as storage for strollers, etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I really love the MPVs...
    I have 4 kids: 6, 4, 2 and 6mos. Three of the four are in car seats and it seems to work for us. You're right that the tumble-under 3rd seat doesn't get tumbled under much, but it can come in handy when on those solo trips to Home Depot.

As far as fitting all the 'stuff' in. Put it in the kids laps...it's their stuff! Just kidding, that deep well that the seat goes in seems to hold a lot.

My new van is a 2001. In a way I wish it had been a 2000. If it had, I could have gotten 48-month 0.0% financing. If you're not planning to trade anytime too soon after you buy your new van, try for the 2000. In a couple of years the year's difference won't be all that important in terms of resale, and the two model years are identical.
    As for the deal I got, I don't get the feeling it was unusual. God knows I didn't have to leave any broken and bloody bodies behind me to get it. I think it helped that I knew what was possible by studying these posts, but the dealership didn't put any obstacles in the path. They seemed more than willing to give me every break on price they could.
    I think the secret weapon all potential MPV buyers have is that we are the only ones who are privy to the secret. Most people have no idea what value there is in the car, so nobody's rushing to buy. They'd rather wait three months and pay five thousand more for the "hot wheels" like Honda. I wish them the joy of it. As for me, I think I got the deal of my life, and I'm pretty sure it's out there for anybody who knows about it. No special skills (aside from going in knowing what you're talking about) needed.
    Have Hubby read these posts. And definitely test drive one before you commit to anything else.
    Good luck.
    rjr425-I think you got an excellent deal. A lot more stuff is standard on the 2001 LXs that are options on the 2000. Plus I figure getting a later model year, more of the kinks may be worked out. I'm not happy that my dealer isn't giving me a better price than I could possibly get on 2001, though I do see that I will be close to $1,000 below invoice.

My question--if I am paying cash, no financing, should the dealer be able to cut me a better bottom line deal than someone who is financing, or does it make no difference to the dealer where the money comes from?
    The old notion that cash is better does not hold true. Dealers prefer to finance the customer themselves because they get a cut from the finance company. Additionally, sales people don't like to talk bottom line price but rather monthly payments when negotiating.

Reference: Car sales 101
    wpenner--I think your reasoning about which to buy holds water. Having the later model will look better at trade-in time. And I wasn't aware of the difference in options vs. standard in the 2000-2001. The only thing I keep coming back to is the almost $5000 I could have saved financing my car at no interest, rather than the 7.7% I'm paying, had a 2000 been available. would have lost the $1000 dealer incentive, but that would still have left me nearly $4000 ahead. That would have freed me up to pay for the options I wanted and still I think I might have come out ahead on the deal. Oh well, it wasn't to be, and I'm still pleased about the deal I did get.

As for the difference between financing or cash, nothing I've read seems to indicate that it makes any difference in the price any more. I think it used to (my Dad always had "his ducks in a row," as he put it, before he ever walked into a dealership, but that was more than just a few years ago). I think malt at post 788 probably has it right these days.
    When you think about it, 0% financing may be better than paying cash, even if you lose the $1,000 incentive, since you can keep that money in the bank, so to speak. I will have to give that some thought too.

Thanks for the info. We hope to make the purchase tomorrow or next Tuesday, though we're still calling around to dealers in the area. One thing we're running into is it is very difficult to find the dual air without the security package, they seem to come bundled together, even though they are different options. Since we live in a ridiculously safe small town in a rural area, the security system seems unimportant. What about the side impact air bags? Have those proven to have big safety benefits?

Thanks,

Wendy
    I think if you go for the ES with the side impacts, better stereo, and the leather you will not be disappointed. I know it will cost a little more but the pleasures they bring are invaluable. I love opening that moon roof specially at night! Plus you get the 16" tires and just an all around better equipped vehicle. If nothing else ensure you get the touring package. It is a great deal for the items you get. One thing you may want to try to find is the rear heater and the 4 seasons package. But thats all hard to find on an ES.
  • sfeinsfein Member Posts: 2
    What options do people here recommend, or
    think is not worth it, other than the
    obvious (I would think AC controls in
    the back is a must, and carpeted floor
    mats may not be worth it). For example,
    how much better is the "heavy duty" rear
    defogger than what comes standard? What
    is the "illuminated entry"? I'd appreciate
    your advice!

- Steve
  • motherof3motherof3 Member Posts: 7
    I spoke to a Mazda Consumer Re. on their 800 line in order to get info on other MPG spews and I was informed that as of this fall (October-November) the 2002 MPG's will be out with a new engine. When I told her I thought it was coming out for 2003 she assured me otherwise. Also, does anybody know of a 2001 MPG DX\AS in red? I have contacted 8 dealers in the Pittsburgh area and have been told that they can't even order one!Thanks for any info.
    Please forgive the above message. I am looking for a 2001 LX\ES in red...MPV.
  • livindolllivindoll Member Posts: 4
    We just traded in our 2000 Sienna XLE for the MPV ES. The Sienna was a lemon and we wanted to get rid of it asap. I had originally wanted the MPV, but my husband didn't like the fact that it didn't offer power seats or auto headlights. I love the MPV, its smaller than the Sienna, but the fold down seats are key. The power sliding door was nice, but there were plenty of times that we walked away from the car...leaving it open, even in a snowstorm.

We paid $26,200 on Long Island, NY (fully loaded)
    Ray price Mazda in East Stroudsburg, PA has 2 red MPVs.

Kings Mazda in Cincinatti has a red LX and ES.

Not sure how far you are willing to drive, but those seem to be the closest.
    Thank you "maltb" for your answer and do you know if they are 2000 or 2001 please? Also, I know this has been discussed before but I'll chance to ask once again...is the 4 seasons pkg. needed if you live in a cold climate? How well is the van able to heat itself with only front heating ducts? Thank you for any help on this issue.
    Those would be 2001's. You didn't ask for 2000s and it's time to go home.

Okay, here's something to chew over:
    Both Popular Mechanics and Motor Week (I think) complain about the lack of power in the MPV, and both mags rate it as 12+ seconds 0-60. On the other hand, Carpoint rates it at 10.8 seconds, which puts it fairly well in the middle of the pack for minivans. Now you can't make a car go faster than it can go ( short of harnessing a herd of Jaguars to the front end or something), so it follows that the car Carpoint drove did do 0-60 in 10.8. How? Why the discrepancy?

Here's where it gets interesting (at last!) Both the magazine cars were West Coast vans, with the 160 hp engine. The van Carpoint tested had the 170 hp.

Can 10 hp make so much difference? Frankly I don't know enough about engines to know. But how else to explain it? And how else to explain that most owners are quick to defend its acceleration than the fact that more 170's are sold than 160's (Contrary to LA's opinion, there is more than just flyover space east of them).

How about an informal, very unscientific poll? Post your impressions about acceleration AND the size of your engine. Hey, maybe we'll find out everybody's been wrong all along. Maybe size does make a difference!

rjr425
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    Daniel Heraud at MSN Carpoint, I suspect, is a car tester of the old school - by which I mean, when he does a zero-to-sixty test on an automobile equipped with an automatic transmission, he holds the brake and gets the engine revving, and only then lets go of the brake and starts the clock. This procedure, called "brake torquing", does tend to shave a fraction of a second off the time recorded, but it's fairly common in motor mags, because it does give an indication of maximum performance available: "You will not get appreciably better than this."

On the other hand, Car and Driver, which has always used this technique, scored a 12.3 with their test MPV. Go figure.
    No complaints from a LA area owner with 160hp. Maybe I accept the fact that it is not an RX-7.
    We only have the front heat on our ES. Within 3-5 mins of the Van starting the kids are yelling to turn off the heat. They are always complaining that its hot in the van. I think its from their over active glands myself. The only thing that bugs me is that rear air means rear air! You will not get any heat from that rear fan. In fact, the kids use it to cool off when mom and I are cold.