Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    I didn't mean anything bad by that. I completely understand their position. I was just trying to kill the rumour that SOA denies future shipments of the WRX to dealers who try to sell over MSRP. I, too, fell for that rumour and that's why I wrote to them in the first place. I would post the response here, but I deleted it. Like you said, they lost my business forever. I even told them that when they called me the next day to try to "bargain further." Too bad I bought a Forester for my wife from them last year. Now I really wish I hadn't.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I take it that my sedan was no longer available? He sold it already?

Good luck.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• sajohnsonsajohnson Member Posts: 48
    I bought my blue WRX 5MT sedan at the Frederick Motor Co. Sales man is Paul Wedl, a very easy going guy. Paid $23,000 even (incl. freight), no options. It was a very pleasant experience--no pin strpes, fabric guard, paint protection garbage. Everyone there was a pleasure to deal with.

I have absolutely no interest in this dealership, I just want to give credit where credit is due.

Good luck with your purchase.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Thomas, there are a few dealers in Central NJ selling at ~$600-~$1000 over dealer invoice. IIRC, someone here on Edmunds paid 5-600 over invoice in Frederick, MD.
    MSRP is probably the most common price, but there are definately dealers selling below between MD & NJ.

Dennis
  • knitkneeknitknee Member Posts: 1
    For those of you in the DC metro area, I just bought a white, 5-speed, manual transmission,WRX sedan last week from Dulles Motorcars in Leesburg, VA. They have a large inventory of all Subaru models, and are getting in WRXs every week (both autos and manuals). The dealership was great to work with. They let me test drive a 5-speed on my own--just handed me the keys. I paid about $1300 below sticker. They also gave me KBB for my trade. The sales associate I worked with was George Young. This was a great purchasing experience, very straight forward.
  • waynemockwaynemock Member Posts: 2
    Tischer Subaru of Dsilver Spring ,Md has 2 automatics available on the internet at $500 off of MSRP. Go to www.mileone.com then specials,then Subaru .
  • bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    Sheesh, I completely forgot to call Marty G! Ah well, my plan is to salt away the cash over the coming months (I should be getting my Q2 bonus in mid-July!) until I have enough to get a REX and guarantee a lower monthly payment than I have right now for my Neon. If I can wait even longer (and maintain my sanity) I might be able to pay cash my year's end.

DjB
  • conrad12conrad12 Member Posts: 6
    Costa, I'm pretty sure that adding a second turbo is done. The WRX has extra hose attachments on the intercooler for a second turbo If you put in a second smaller turbo than you have sequential turbos. The small one kicks in at low RPMs and the large one provides boost at high RPMs. This helps mitigate turbo lag.
  • jim2741jim2741 Member Posts: 20
    I visited three dealerships in MA, CarMart, Ira and Cityside and all three had plenty of WRX's available for immediate delivery, you could take you pick of everything that is available. I even saw a blue WRX sedan with 17" wheels, boy was that tempting, really tempting. I did notice that there were more autos sitting around since I'm not sure why one would buy this car with an auto. But they did have plenty of std's to choose from. I really should stop checking this site since if I don't, you will soon be welcoming me to the Rexy Riders. If these cars are selling quickly and are so hot, how come I've only seen a couple on the road?
    Well, since they are only selling 12,000 here this year and figure, what, slightly better than half of those have been delivered to customers at this point, its not surprising. Even after they are all sold this year, you probably won't be spotting very many on the road (varying depending on where you live).

• varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    Sorry to have confused you kostamojen2. I know the WRX is an Imprezza, but are the seats the same or different than a Non-WRX Imprezza? I had the impression from some postings that the seats were better on the WRX than on other Imprezza models.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    The WRX seats are different than my '99 RS seats. They are not the wonderful seats everyone gets outside of North America though. :-(

The US WRX seats have a bit bigger thigh bolster than my seats, but they are wider spaced. All other bolstering seems to be about the same. Net effect for my 6' 170lb body-- I like my seats better. The 'real' WRX seats are awesome though, it's too bad someone at SOA decided that the average American physique would not go well with them. The bolsters are much more aggressive.

-Colin
  • tonymitztonymitz Member Posts: 7
    Well now it's my turn to thank the board. Last week on Wednesday I was lucky enough to email Carlsen Subaru through their website and a salesperson emailed back saying they had the WRX that I wanted in stock. So instead of putting in an order and waiting till August, I drove off the lot that night with a black WRX sedan 5-speed complete with a spoiler, sound package, security, and armrest extension. I got it for 6% over invoice which seemed to be the best local deal that allowed me to get everything I wanted. I couldn't believe my luck. So I just wanted to thank everyone for all the information I got from reading and posting to this board. I enjoyed reading the posts so much I plan to keep reading and will probably join the i-club forum. I've definitely loved my car so far, I can't wait till 1000 miles rolls around and I just wish the birds didn't love targeting my car so much.

I also couldn't send out a post without asking a few more questions so here goes. Is there a conspiracy Subaru has with the gas companies or is it in fact important to fill up with 91 octane fuel? With gas prices they way they are here in CA, I did not like how much it cost me to fill up the first time.

Also Stephen, how did you go about taking the Subaru badges off the back? I also think it makes the back look cleaner and would prefer people were looking at the WRX badge.

Thanks again,
    Tony
    Who is this? Raise your hand, I know you're out there. I saw you this afternoon (6/15) driving south on the GSP. Nice car!

DjB
  • mw38mw38 Member Posts: 4
    Let me tell this stroy, and everyone can tell me if I'm just crazy. I've been looking at an Audi A4 or BMW 325i, but because of all the good reviews, I decided to look at a WRX. Since they had four WRXs on the lot, I drove 90 minutes from Fort Worth to the Subaru dealer in Plano, Texas. Sure enough, they had them. After waiting 30 minutes, they found someone who was authorized to sell something other than a Kia to show me one. As I walked out to the lot, the saleman assured me that they wanted sticker for them (no surprise). So we looked at a WRX. When no one made a move, I asked if he could get the key so that I could test drive it. I was told, "Our manager says that since these are in such high demand, he wants to keep the miles low, so you can't drive it until you buy it." He added that I could reserve one for $1,000. (The implication was that I could pay $1,000 for a test drive, and no hint was given that I would get the money back if I didn't like it. Of course, if I've already bought it, is it really a test drive?) My wife (we are both attorneys) was ready to go in and hand the manager his head. I was laughing too so hard we left. Two other dealers in North Texas essentially admitted that they didn't have a WRX, and that they could only get them by ordering them.

Is it just me, or is this BS? Are you really expected to buy a car you've never driven? Even though I'd really like to take a look at the WRX, I'm now wondering if AWD is wasted in Texas (little snow, and not much rain), and whether all that power would just be wasted in the daily commute.
  • fubarufubaru Member Posts: 5
    tonymitz: you don't need the 91+ octane unless you never rev your engine above 3K ... or your little boxer enginer will pre-detonate like crazy when the turbo kicks in and if it keeps knocking the engine will get seriously screwed

(the WRX EJ20 motor actually runs at a lower compression ratio than the RS EJ25 until the turbo kicks in)
  • cth7312cth7312 Member Posts: 18
    Did you try Huffines Subaru in Lewisville? I know they aren't charging for test drives because I was there in March after their first delivery and they showed me everything and practically begged me to drive it. I refused I/I I am a starving college student and it would have been torture knowing I can't buy this beautiful car.

Here's there web address:

http://www.huffinessubaru.com/

• dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I guess so, i drive by there every day and there are still a black, silver, white and um blue sedans left i think. guess they not interested in a sale.

Regards,
    DL
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    Its been pretty common since they came out that the dealers have been stingy about test drives... Ive only been able to test drive at 2 dealers; One cause its a stupid dealer, and they didnt care at first (but now they wont let anyone even touch them without a payment), and the other cause I know one of the salesman really well (but we only took it a little ways).

Your best bet might be to test drive a 2002 RS (simular suspension and ride, dont drive the TS wagon or OBS wagon though, diff suspeision) and then see if you like it... Then drive the WRX whenever they finally let up on their stingy practices, so you can see exactly how it drives (the RS is slow compaired to the rex though).

Anyway, from what everyones been able to tell over at I-club, its not illegal for them to do that, but it isnt helping them to sell you a car :P Perhaps if you keep showing up, and with check in hand (as a bluff), you can finally sway them...

Or, find a person in your area with a rex and take a ride :)
  • jk111jk111 Member Posts: 125
    any good dealers around north jersey? I went to a mazda/subaru hybrid dealer on rt. 17, salesmen working there didn't even bother to come over and ask any questions. I was the only customer there and they pretty much ignored me..haha. I don't even know how they stay in business this way.
    Actually how about just jersey in general? any good buying experience?
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Mike- Of course it's BS. However, if they can still sell them in spite of that policy, then it's quite a testament to the popularity of the WRX. The reason behind that policy is that most WRX buyers know the severe temptation to exceed 4000rpms when taking one for a test spin and will therefore conclude that a WRX with any miles on it at all, has probably been abused by one or more test drivers. In fact, some owners who special ordered their WRXs, just to ensure that their car hadn't been abused, have gotten upset because it had more miles (10) on it than they felt was necessary. It would be nice if each dealer designated one WRX solely for test drives but because the WRX is such a low volume model and since their selling every one they get, the dealers aren't willing to do that. So where does that leave you? You can either find a dealer more willing to allow test drives (they do exist), wait til the initial demand drops off (if it ever does), or give up on the WRX (and never know what you're missing).

-Frank P.
  • mw38mw38 Member Posts: 4
    I might not mind the test drive issue nearly as much if someone had explained it half as well as Frank P. The problem is that the dealerships in North Texas seem much more interested in selling Kias (which are always coupled with Subarus). The Subaru salesmen have been difficult to locate, haven't been very knowledgable when you do locate one, and they seem extremely indifferent. If Subarus don't sell well in North Texas, I bet I know why. Its an ugly cycle -- lousy sales people, low sales; low sales, fewer good sales people want to sell the car. The contrast is really stark when I compare the sales people for Audi, BMW, or even Kia.
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Mike,
    Frank P. explained it well.
    If you've got your mind pretty set on the WRX, but want to nail it, you could turn the table on the dealer. Like, OK $1000 to test drive (a deterent for abuse) could be interpreted as their confidence you would buy it. Have them match you by taking $1000 off the price (in addition to your $1000).
  • jim2741jim2741 Member Posts: 20
    The second time I test drove the WRX, it had an armrest extension which made shifting very difficult and uncomfortable. If I bought one, I would not want this option, but if the car is an auto, I guess it would not matter as much.
    aren't you here all the time? How did you miss my last 3 or 4 posts? :) just kidding, I'm happy to list it again.

Go see Marty Garland at World Jeep and Subaru in Tinton Falls. Great buying experience (i ordered by email). However, they probably still don't have any in stock and the order time is like 6 weeks or so. If you want to test drive, I would suggest Pine Belt Subaru in Lakewood. Don't deal with them, though. They told me they are selling $2K over sticker (but I would get the "special" price of MSRP). But, I was more than happy to use them to get a test drive (since they had them sitting on the lot - big surprise), and then I found Marty and ordered from him for somewhere around $1700 off sticker on a nicely optioned one.

Good luck.

• terrahopperterrahopper Member Posts: 10
    A request was made earlier asking for the gear ratios of the 5-speed manual WRX. (Sorry for the bad spacing).

Here they are:
    Gear___Ratio____Overall Ratio___(Rpm)__Mph
    1st_____3.45:1___13.46:1________7000___36 .
    2nd____1.95:1____7.61:1________7000___64 .
    3rd_____1.37:1___5.34:1_________7000___91 .
    4th_____0.97:1___3.78:1_________7000__128 .
    5th_____0.74:1___2.89:1______est.5420__130 .

Final Drive Ratio: 3.90:1
    Engine rpm @ 60mph in top gear 2500

These numbers are taken from Road&Track's "Guide to the Subaru Impreza WRX". I picked up a copy from the local dealership.
  • jk111jk111 Member Posts: 125
    thanks man. Yeah I read your post a couple of times, but you told me that they were out of stock. So I was considering other options.
    I send out the some emails tho the offical subaru website last night, and they replied to me already! One dealership quote me a "4% over invoice." But he wasn't clear on the actualy price (it might be 4% over 30 grand for all I know, hahah.) Another one quote me 1 grand off on msrp with optional equipment. I will have to do a little more searching.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Now, the hard part will be keeping the little beastie below 4k until your 1000 miles are up. :-)

The debadging you asked about is "scary" easy. All you need is a hairdryer and some dental floss. Turn the dryer on the letters where they meet the body. This heats up the glue that holds them in place. After you've heated up the letters, take some floss and work it behind the letters, kind of pulling it to you as you dislodge the glue. Don't pull to hard or do it before the glue is warmed up or you'll bust the floss. You can actually work any glue residue off with your fingernails. Afterwards, wash the vehicle (and wax if you so desire), then stand back and admire your handywork. :-)

Let us know how it goes and, of course, your impressions as you begin your new "relationship".

Stephen
  • gordonsubygordonsuby Member Posts: 3
    Bill Rapp subaru in Syracuse NY will sell any WRX for $200 over invoice. Blue, black and Yellow 5-speeds in stock. All colors of automatic in stock. Can order any color and options for delivery in about 1 month. Toll free number (800)887-7277 x-276. Ask for Randy(4 years subaru sales experience). You won't have to pay for a test drive. unless you fly in from Texas :)
  • scottj_bham_alscottj_bham_al Member Posts: 4
    I didn't remember that those were in the R&T guide.

That 13+ in 1st sounds like it would build revs quickly. Looks like I need to find a manual and test it to see if it makes up for the lag.

Took step 1 towards being able to buy one today. Sent a certified letter to Equifax to dispute an incorrectly listed black mark on my credit today.
  • jfhseajfhsea Member Posts: 10
    Woohoo! Picked up a silver 5-spd wagon today. 200 yards from the dealer I hit an S on-ramp to I-405 and was transported to another dimension. Just 965 more break-in miles!

After calling or visiting a number of Seattle area dealers including Carter, Auburn and others, (and getting quoted MSRP), I reached Marcus Smith the sales manager at Walker's Renton Subaru, I asked if he had a 5-speed silver wagon that he would sell to me at $500 over optioned invoice. He checked his allocation list, verified that he had one "on the boat" and came back on the line to say "Sure". As luck would have it, I had to leave town for 2 weeks for work, just enough time for the boat to arrive and get the wagon trucked from Vancouver to Seattle. Barry Mercer handled delivery of the car today; he couldn't have been more helpful.

Anyhow, this was about as easy as could be, Marcus and Barry were great, and I'm a happy boy. I don't work for this dealer or have any relationship with them. Just very satisfied with how this worked out and if anybody else is trying to find a WRX in Seattle at a price they can live with, they might want to give Marcus a call.

J
    that's pretty much right, yes. if you want to compare to the automatic's ratios (ours is the same as Japan's) or see some of the other gearboxes for the heck of it, look here.

the 1-2 drop is very large on the WRX. it's overgeared quite a bit really, probably for fuel economy. if you're looking at my spreadsheet, remember that our WRX has a 3.90 axle ratio and the RS has a 4.11. japanese 5 speeds have a 4.11 or 4.444, and the STi 6 speed uses a 3.90 also. (look at those yummy ratios on the six speed... droooool)

-Colin
  • gaspasser2gaspasser2 Member Posts: 44
    Hello folks,

Just a quick question, how many miles should I expect logged in a new car straight from the dealership? This is my first brand new car. I'm expecting between 0-5 miles. Am I in the ballpark? Thanks in advance.
  • jfhseajfhsea Member Posts: 10
    Mine had 7, which seems like a low normal. They need to get the car from the line, possibly do a brief test drive, load it onto a truck/train (possibly) then onto a huge RORO (roll-on, roll-off ship), off the RORO, park it somewhere on a fairly huge lot on arrival, load it onto a truck for delivery to dealer, then take it around the block a few times to check dealer prep.

I'd say anything under 15 miles is pretty normal.

J
  • kroliphkroliph Member Posts: 75
    Any news on the WRX STi? I read in Car and Driver that Subaru was preparing to bring the car to the US for about $30,000. Any idea when the car will arrive in the states and how much it will cost? From what I have read, it should be an awesome package.
    You won't hear anything from SOA about the WRX STi for until they're ready to sell it, anything else would be foolishly cannibalizing their own sales.

You could simply buy a standard WRX and upgrade it.

-Colin
  • cditto1cditto1 Member Posts: 6
    My new WRX is wonderful....but like any junkie my craving for more power is here. How much power will simple bolt-ons (intake, exhaust, chip) bring me? I heard that an Apex-i boost controller does wonders, allowing me to take boost up to around 17-18psi. Has anyone started modifying there car yet? I'm on a shoe string budget but would like to get started in pieces asap.
  • vonbondsvonbonds Member Posts: 12
    Russell Subaru in Ellicott City, MD is staying firm on their price of MSRP while I have gotten a phone quote from World Subaru in Shrewsbury, NJ for 500 under MSRP for the same car (actually same but minus the upgraded stereo). Would you guys travel out of state to get a 500 buck better deal on a car or would you just suck it up and stick with a local dealer?

I am wavering now. Also if I opt for out of state I will get that car this weekend as opposed to 4-5 more weeks of waiting.

As always thanks in advance!

Tom
    Who did you talk to over there? Email Marty Garland through their website. Might be that their internet pricing is better. Give it a shot.

http://www.worldjeep.com/email.cgi

They have them in stock? Wow. I'm surprised.

• vonbondsvonbonds Member Posts: 12
    Did you have a trade in? It was like pulling teeth to get them 500 under MSRP...can I use your name? I am willing to go up this weekend to get that car.

Thanks a lot!

Tom
  • brainsloshbrainslosh Member Posts: 8
    If you're willing to travel to Kensington (just north of White Flint Mall near DC), you can get a WRX for $1000 over invoice from Fitzgerald Auto Mall. It's a no haggle dealer, so you won't be able to push them, except perhaps on the trade-in. I bought from Huntley who was easy-going. He was knowledgeable and asked others when he didn't know the answer. They still had some in stock, according to their website: http://www.fitzmalls.com/

They won't let you test drive a manual, so if you'll either have to go with the auto or test drive it somewhere else. I got a white manual wagon off the showroom floor with six miles, so I like their no manual test drive policy.

There's a dealer in Fairfax, VA where I read people were getting a better deal (I think I read it on http://www.clubwrx.net).

• barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    more like a couple of hundred bucks since the one WRX doesn't have the upgraded stereo which is at least $250. No, I wouldn't quibble, it just depends if the extra distance is worth getting a car w/an option you may or may not want and whether waiting is a big issue for you.

I ordered my WRX wagon from a local dealer in Seattle @ MSRP (& free oil changes for life of ownership), got $20,000 trade-in on my 00'OB Ltd wagon w/auto and 12k miles, and waited 6weeks for delivery. I am more than happy w/both deal and car. Don't let a couple of hundred dollars make the WRX buying experience anymore difficult than it needs to be. I mean the sooner you get the WRX, the sooner you can get past your 1000 mile break-in and have some REAL FUN! :-)

Good Luck,
    Stephen
    Actually, if you're going to email MartyG at World, I'd suggest NOT telling him you've already had a quote of $XX, and then see if the price he returns is better/worse than what you were quoted previously. It sounds deceptive, but if MartyG gives you a lower price and he gets the sale, it helps justify the "internet pricing" deal (and helps ensure that I'll be able to get a good deal when I'm ready to buy!)

DjB
    I'm with Bruticus on this one. As far as I'm concerned, the internet pricing should be what it is. Who knows if that's true or not. I really would like to see Marty's response to you with nothing more than an inquiry (no names, no previous quotes, etc.). Just email as if you are talking to them for the first time. If it helps, my email went something like "I am purchasing a WRX sedan 5-spd w/ these options .... I am taking quotes from several dealers today and will buy according to the best price."

Also, I'm not sure if you can, I think it may require it, but I'd avoid telling them where you are coming from. According to salespeople, they are usually giving you a price because they "want to earn your business". If they know that you are so far away that you probably wouldn't be coming back unless you had to, that might account for the high price. Just a thought.

• phatride01phatride01 Member Posts: 23
    Just curious, but I put my order in for a wagon, 5 spd, silver, with elect. mirror, armrest, diff. protector, the rubber cargo protector, upgraded security system.

I am not sure what one would generally pay for this, but as it turns out, I will be paying about 24.5 for it. I also got a deal on a rental car (for free from the dealer) till the wrx comes in. It may take a week or so for the car to come in, so I figure at about 30 bucks a day, for 7-10 days, that's about 200-300 bucks.

All in all, I think that that is a fair deal, and I am psyched to be receiving the car shortly. I did take a test drive in the wagon, with auto (not my choice, of course), and it seems like a nice car to drive. Also, I did not really "test" the vehicle to it's full potential, as I am not one of those people that kill the car within the test drive, with hopes that the person who does buy the test vehicle doesn't get screwed.

All I was wondering is whether I got a fair deal, or whether the dealer got the best of me. In either case, the deal is done, and I have no idea what finance rate I am getting yet, but I am sure it will be according to market rate (approx. 6%) over 60 months.

All in all, I am happy with my decision, and can't wait to get the car. It felt nice, for the whole mile and a half that I drove it. That's what I can say, at this point.

Another question...anyone have any idea how the car performs when the A/C is turned on? I noticed that it takes a little bit of time to take off, once the A/C compressor is being used? I guess I will have to wait and see, as the V6 that I have now does not seem to hesitate once the air is on. Nonetheless, I know it's a four cylinder car, with tons of go go go power, and that should be well worth it.

Happy driving to all those that have the car already. I just think that the wagon seems to have more "character" than the sedan. Just my opinion, though! Enjoy!

phatride01
  • philwang66philwang66 Member Posts: 61
    I'm not sure whether you got a great deal or not. A 5spd wagon with the options you mentioned is $24215 and destination is $525. If the price you're paying ($24.5K) include tax and dest, then I'd say you got a pretty great deal. Otherwise, it's an OK deal if you include the free rental.

Could you have done better if you shopped around? Possibly... Ultimately, if you're happy with with the car and you bought it at price you can live with - I'd say enjoy your car!
  • bafflegasbafflegas Member Posts: 8
    This topic has come up before. Regardless, my girlfriend's 2001 Civic had 4 kms on it.
  • zerosenzerosen Member Posts: 2
    Got my Blue Pearl WRX today, its great to be PART of the club instead of a bystander. It is a different sensation to drive one of these. They live up to all the hype.
  • 56355635 Member Posts: 11
    I just resold my WRX. The other day some guy came to my door and after seeing my WRX in my driveway, he actually offered to buy it from me because all the dealers he visited are out. Well at first i laughed in his face, but before the day was over he bought it for just over $6000 more then i paid. I cant believe it. Now that i have that added $6000 what do you guys suggest i do with it? Im thinking go by another one, and with $6000 worth of aftermarket parts, i would be able to blow anyone away. To say the least, i am very excited about these possibilities.
This discussion has been closed.