Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
  • jfhseajfhsea Member Posts: 10
    Here's how I got a silver WRX 5spd wagon for $500 over invoice:

1) I decided what I wanted -- the silver 5spd wagon, period.
    2) I decided how much I was willing to pay over invoice (including all options at invoice) -- $500.
    3) I applied for a "blank check"-type loan (from E-loan.com) for the amount that I'd need.
    4) I started calling dealers and asked a) do you have a silver 5spd wagon? and b) if so, will you sell it to me for invoice + $500?

On the 3rd try I got Marcus Smith at Walkers Renton Subaru in Renton, WA and said "OK" -- he had exactly what I wanted in allocation (on the boat), I gave him $1000 earnest money in exchange for some paperwork and I took delivery 2 weeks later.

There are a fair number of WRXes sitting on dealer lots now. I suppose it depends on whether a dealer has what you want, how flexible you are regarding color, how close to the end of the month it is, and whether you can offer a simple deal (no trade-in or low value trade-in). In that respect, the eLoan check is pretty much like a cash deal for the dealer. By selling me mine before it even left the boat, they got to keep all of the Subaru "holdback" money intended to cover the costs of keeping the car on the lot for a few months.

By asking a simple question (over the phone) and expecting a simple answer, you may be able to avoid all of the typical round-and-round car buying BS that some dealers seem to insist on inflicting on people. In my case I told them that I was intending to buy out of state to get a $500 deal (which was true), but that I decided I'd try a few more dealers in my area. Of interest, Priceline.com told me that they couldn't get me this deal (from dealers including the one where I bought it), so personal calls help.

Another way to get such a deal is to go to a known no-dicker dealer like Van Bortel Subaru in Rochester, NY.

Bottom line: If you let the dealer control the terms of the negotiation, they will. It's in their interest to do so.
  • aceperoacepero Member Posts: 13
    Is there any way of monitoring or finding out the status of a vehicle that I've ordered?
  • bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    As far as I know that's the only way to determine where it is.

DjB
  • mjvchicagomjvchicago Member Posts: 149
    Alright, I took a nice long test drive of the WRX and I am in love! 40 mins without the salesperson. What a machine! Now I'm seriously cosnidering the prospect, but have read about some issues that concern me: brittle windshield and thin paint.

Of those of you who have had problems with these, what were the circumstances? Were you rallying and a rock flew up? Is the paint chipping from the same? I don't plan on rallying, just enjoying it on the smooth (well, semi smooth) streets and expressways of Chicago.

Your input is greatly appreciated!
  • cabritocabrito Member Posts: 4
    Someone slammed into my new WRX. Besides being
    heartbroken, I'm upset to discover that neither the body
    shop which will do the work nor the Subaru dealer themselves
    can get their hands on the sheetmetal any time soon. In fact,
    they can offer no ETA at all.

Has anyone either heard differently about sheetmetal availability
    or know where it can be obtained overseas for the US models?

Thanks
  • rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    Varig:

You can comparison shop at:

http://www.vanbortelsubaru.com

They are the largest Subaru dealer in the US and sell all cars at a fixed markup. The prices are right on the web site.

• silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    This same thing happened when the Focus first came to the US. It took several months before the parts pipeline filled up with spares. I know someone who bought one of the first ZX3s, and had a wreck the first week he owned it. It took Ford over a month to come up with front fenders and a hood.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's a shame. Stick with the dealer - he's most likely to get it first. Follow up on a regular basis.

Is it driveable? I'm still using my Forester while I wait for a bumper and taillight.

-juice
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Michael,
    The same thing has been said by some people about the Outback's glass over the past few years. When my wife's OB windshield was cracked by a rock, my wife mentioned to the glass shop that she heard Subaru windshields were soft. The shop owner kinda giggled and said there's no such thing as "soft glass". It has more to do with the car's aerodynamics and the environment you drive in (at the time she commuted 1 hour to work on an interstate).

OTOH, the paint may be a different story. A lot of people said a couple of coats of wax works wonders though. I definately wouldn't let these things sway me from getting a WRX.

Dennis
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    My cousins windshield broke cause he was up in the sierra's during a freak snow storm, and got stuck behind a truck that hurled a rock and knicked the window... Which then froze over-night and made a crack.

And the paint, same thing... Dont get stuck behind trucks on sand-coated roads :P All cars have problems with that...

However, stuff like X-pel and Stoneguard, are clear-bra type shielding plastic that can virtually eliminate this problem for any vehicle (for the paint, not the windshield)
  • bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    Bob,

Is there an English-language version of that link? Or is there a button on the page that I'm not seeing?

DjB
    I don't think so. You can download the software though if you want to be able to read it in English.
    Dennis
  • phatride01phatride01 Member Posts: 23
    Hit the button, on the left side, that says TOP. Then click on the English version, when the page comes up. I am not sure how to get to the performance parts, in Engligh, though.

Bummer!

later,
    phatride01
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I can't understand why a Japanese web site would have english titles. Ken?

-Frank P.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    has long been a major frustration of mine. I don't know why they don't offer an English version. Isn't English now considered and international language?

It's very frustrating to say the least.

Bob
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Here's one for $32k, because his buddy said he could buy one, sell it and make some cash! What an idiot!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=593338035&tc=photo6467

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
  • brainsloshbrainslosh Member Posts: 8
    My windshield didn't crack because I was rallying. A rock got kicked up by a truck. My windshield order was placed Monday and was "supposed" to arrive yesterday or today (Friday). It was back-ordered, and now it's another three to five days. Those are the breaks, no pun intended.

The sales manager at my dealer said that 3/30 cars they've sold have developed a cracked windshield. There've been lots of posts on i-Club about it.

So, maybe there's a greater risk of getting a crack. I wouldn't let that stop me from getting the car. Just make sure you don't have a huge comprehensive deductible on your insurance policy (not a good idea with a new car, anyway). And consider keeping a windshield repair kit handy.

Also, don't be surprised if this car gets more expensive to insure. With all the stories of people wrecking their WRXs, the insurance industry will probably catch on if the accident rates are high (actual rates when I got my policy in June went up compared to an initial quote in March).

The paint does seem to be thin. The bumper has been my problem area. If you get black you won't notice so much. :-)

Okay, enough negative stuff.

I have an Aspen White wagon with the manual transmission. It's unpretentious but comfortable and well equipped if you're not used to $30K cars. It handles well in a very forgiving way, so traction isn't all-or-nothing. It's quick when you want it to be. The AWD gives the handling a nice neutral feel and adds safety (not invincibility!). But you've probably read all that...

Who knows, maybe next year there'll be a $25K car that offers all the fun and performance of the WRX. But the time was right for me, and it's been great.
  • pearlbluesoulpearlbluesoul Member Posts: 30
    I recently was checking out an '02 RS at a local dealer here and found myself quite impressed. But I was wondering, does anyone know where I can find crash test data for the most recent models (or the WRX). There is nothing on the NHTSA website or the IIHS one. Maybe there is a Japanese or European equivalent that has tested the Impreza?
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
  • myeviltwinmyeviltwin Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to everybody who responded to my questions/concerns two weeks ago. It sounds like most people agree that the automatic really shows a lack of low end power. Unfortunately it looks like I'll have to make up my mind without getting a real test drive with a stick shift. I don't have any doubts about the performance once this car gets going, but I'm still concerned about the effects of the engine characteristics on everyday driving (taking off from red lights, etc.). Do people get power whenever they need it once they get tuned into the car?

Some responses/clarifications to the answers I got:

aquicky: Sure, I'll let you know when I get mine. I would be happy to go for a drive if you know interesting roads. There aren't too many of them in Missouri...

mckague: Yes, I drove my Firebird to the dealer. It's just the 3.8 liter V6.

WarpDrive: I thought that the automatic seemed weak at the low end even considering that it's only a 2.0 liter, and it's 3000+ pounds. I actually drove a Honda VTEC (1.6 liter 160 HP) for a couple of weeks many years ago. Too long to remember any details, but I remember it to be very quick and responsive even at low rpm. Then again, I was used to driving a 70 HP car at that time, so everything must have seemed fast...

Thanks,
    R.
  • beezerbeezer Member Posts: 7
    my wife and i went to a subaru dealership here in the washington, d.c. metro area. we wound up trading in my wife's beat up '97 nissan sentra for a forester. while we were in the showroom yesterday, i fell in love with a blue wrx sedan. i asked if i could test drive it and the salesman said (very emphatically) "no, we don't let people test drive the wrxs." i was like, excuse me? what kind of bs is that? he said that most people who are buying them are performance minded drivers (like i'm not) and know that they want this car. how can you just buy a car without test driving it? after arguing back and forth, he said i could come in tomorrow (which was today) and test drive one (not the blue one because someone might buy it and not want five extra miles on it) as long as i brought in proof of auto insurance. has anybody ever heard of such nonsense? what kind of dealership gives customers problems about test driving a vehicle. it's not like it's a ferrari modena or something. then we finally get into a white wrx sedan (that they reserve for test drives after they told me they don't let people test drive them) and the salesman proceeds to tell me "try not to take it over 4,000 rpm's". i felt like i was in a twighlight zone episode.

to make a long story short, i put a $500 good faith deposit on it, because my wife and i had been there for 4 hours buying her forester and had to get back home to the pooch. i have to decide tonight whether or not i am going to buy it. right now i have a 2000 civic si which is pretty fast. however, it's pretty small and i just think it's about time to get a more "mature sports car" (oh yeah, and something with 4 doors).

sorry for the long story, just looking for some feedback about the wrx 5 speed manual. thanks.
  • brainsloshbrainslosh Member Posts: 8
    myeviltwin:
    You can get low-end power off the line if you slip the clutch. The power gets going around 3000, so you have to slip it around there. You'll barely get any wheel spin because of the AWD. If you do a simple flat start off the line, you'll get beaten by minivans.

Once you're going, you can keep the power going by keeping it above 3000 RPM, and ideally above 4000. Of course your fuel mileage will sufer. There's a good thread on i-club.com about ideal shift points. Do a search on "got data".

beezer:
    As far as not getting to test drive a car, that's rubbish. The WRX is not in that kind of demand now, anyway, so they're just shooting themselves in the foot. And the dealer pretty much should write-off a car for above 4000 RPM testing. There's no way you'll know how the power below that. Plus, that car can be a nice loaner later on. :-)

I test drove a stick at Tischer in Burtonsville, MD. I was nervous about going above 4000 RPM or testing the suspension, so I didn't get a strong impression. A friend who owned one said I needed to hammer it, so I went for another test drive, this time at Fitzgerald, in Kensington, MD. They only let you test drive automatics. I could tell that the power was there, though definitely starts are slow with the automatic. The handling was great, and I was sold.

I bought my WRX wagon from Fitzgerald, and I'm getting happier with things. They were a little bumpy in the customer service at first, but they're working to straighten 'em out. I'd recommend them. Fitzgerald is a no hassle dealer, and was charging $1000 over invoice when I bought mine. You might do better haggling elsewhere, now that demand has softened a little.

Tischer did not treat me with the same respect when I went in for a test drive, and when I asked the salesman if they were going for under MSRP, he said the wagon was in too much demand. He didn't say anything to open things up, such as, "That'll be hard, but let's talk a little later..." I don't know why he didn't at least make a play for my business, but he didn't.

You might want to think about the wagon if you want something "mature." It sounds silly, but one reason I opted for the wagon was that the sedan seats don't fold down. It's nice, now, having the additional storage, slightly better legroom, and extra $500 in hand. The other advantage of the wagon is that it's very stealthy, so you're less likely to draw attention from the cops. Insurance rates might end up better on the wagon, at the rate people are wrecking their sedans (at least three anecdotal cases on i-Club).

The sedan is a touch faster, being 80 lbs lighter. And it probably handles a little better because of its wider track. There are more suspension upgrades for the sedan.

Either way, you'll love your car. Good luck shopping!
  • varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    Should I be concerned that the WRX does not have a stability control system (like VDC or ESP). Since the majority of time spent in the car will be commuting, I'm interested in getting as many safety features as possible and still have a fun ride. That's one reason that I'm not even considering a FWD car. Thanks.
    ...Is crap. It applies brakes to slow down the car in hard cornering...

The rear LSD and AWD, as you know, apply power to the correct wheels at the correct time, which is BETTER than applying the brakes to the wheels...

Stability control might help keep you from spining out, but I doubt while communiting, you will EVER get close to being in a situation, or drive to the limits of the car where it would require stability control to correct itself :P :)

Beezer: The WRX makes the Si seem slow, trust me :D (And it is slow in comparison, LOL!)
    Not to mention the better neutral handling, and ABS that the WRX gets compaired to the Si :P
  • beezerbeezer Member Posts: 7
    what a coincidence, we bought my wife's forester from fitzgerald in kensington, md! the same dealership who gave me a hard time about test driving the wrx and didn't bother you at all. maybe it's a new rule they have or something. who knows... i have to agree that their customer service is a little sub-par, but their prices are pretty competitive (which is why we bought the forester there). the price they are giving me on the wrx is 24,490 (plus tax and tags).
  • kezzie24kezzie24 Member Posts: 9
    Acepero,

Contact Subaru of America(SOA). They will track it for you. That is what I had to do. I don't have the number right here, but check out Subaru's web site for it. Hopefully this helps.
  • noelaninoelani Member Posts: 1
    I've heard about weak air conditioning in the WRX. Can somebody confirm or refute this?
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    AC in my WRX is fine. I live in Indiana and put up with 90+ temperture and 90+ humidity.
    No bids. Big surprise. With 1100 miles, it's $10k overpriced.

I can understand a dealer asking you not to rev a test car over 4000rpm, because it's in the break-in period and they have to sell it to someone. Would you want to know that several people test drove your new car and bumped it off the rev limiter? Not me. I think having a demo for this purpose makes sense.

If you're going to buy from Fitzgerald's, let me know because I could get a commision and pay for your first year membership for the SCOA (Subaru Club of America) with half of the proceeds. It's win-win. The events are fun and you get parts discounts from several dealers plus a newsletter every quarter.

-juice
    Well, Kosta put it best but I'll add my two cents. I also agree that it's not a necessity, especially with an LSD and AWD.

I was recently speaking with the co-owner of my dealership (I thought he was just a salesman at the time). My wife's OB lease is almost up and we were looking at the OB VDC (just there for service, not ready to buy). He was telling us how SoA put on an impressive demonstration with it at a nearby racetrack. He said (paraphrasing here), but "in over 20 years of driving Subaru's, I've never been stuck, never spun-out and never felt I needed a stability control system".
    To top that off, the 02 VDC's are coming with a VDC OFF button to give the driver more control.

Dennis
    Think of it this way: every WRX comes with a "VDC off" switch permanently engaged, standard.

-juice
  • jcbrackjcbrack Member Posts: 9
    I am continually amazed by the negative comments that stability control gets. To simply state "it applies brakes during hard cornering" is a major injustice to the technology. Sure it applies brakes, but also can invoke the traction control as well. And it doesn't do it simply during hard cornering... it does it when the yaw sensor detects the car is going in a different direction than your steering input. In an overseer situation it will brake ONE of the front wheel to generate a counter rotational spin (plus invoke the Trac Control) to re balance the car.... very cool technology.

In my experience, with 2 cars equipped with Stability control, it has only engaged after I have lost control of the car... once in the snow/ice in my LX470 and once in the wet with my GS300. If you have SC in your car and turn it off, you are an idiot.

It is also worth noting that almost every high performance car now comes standard with stability control.

As for the WRX...well I owned one of these for 3 years in Australia and although I feel it would benefit from SC, it is not necessary due to the AWD setup.
    I agree that stability and traction control have inherent value, but the fact is, especially with AWD, it may not engage all that often in normal driving.

For many WRX owners, either they are exceeding the limits on purpose (think SCCA RallyCross) and you want it off, or they are driving under normal circumstances at speeds appropriate for current conditions (where it will not engage) and you will not need it.

The exception is in emergency handling or in situations where you get in over your head, but for most people ABS would be enough anyway.

The reason fancy cars come standard with stability control is because the ego of some owners far exceeds their common sense.

Mercedes Benz did a demo of ESP at the PowerTrip event, and it was impressive. A CL coupe drove through a slalom course at 50mph with ESP off and basically spun out. Then he did another lap with ESP on and at a higher speed, this time 60mph, and it made it through.

If ESP can be tuned like that, I'll take it. I don't want it to step in and spoil the fun, though.

-juice
  • jcbrackjcbrack Member Posts: 9
    "The reason fancy cars come standard with stability control is because the ego of some owners far exceeds their common sense"

hhhmmm....I did know it was owners of "fancy cars" who were the only ones with egos? And I didn't know these folks were the only ones to get their cars into an oversteer or understeer situation?

One day I was driving my GS300. I stopped at a crossing and then made a (slow) left turn. It was late and I was tired, and as I accelerated (slowly) the tail spun out quite violently. It was just a bad combination of water on the road, a negative camber and a tired driver. As the tail spun out I had virtual no time to react and was sure I was doing to spin...then...the SC chimed in... and the next thing I knew I was straight again. Two things surprised me. Firstly the overseer happened in the first place and secondly how well the SC worked.

The reason SC is on "fancy cars" is because owners of fancy cars value safety and will pay for it. Just the same way they paid for ABS before it became main stream...funny thing is that back then many folks critized ABS by saying it got in the way too much. Times change, technology changes, but people never do.
  • wildwildwest2wildwildwest2 Member Posts: 6
    I finally found a yellow sedan in Southern Cal and bought it. It was loaded on a truck for the trip up to Washington State today. I am really cranked. Now I need to sell my beautiful loaded 98 2,5RS (just ad a blower and fly). Is it acceptable to list it for sale here?
    Thanks Bob
    The problem is that the WRX is such a extremely neutral car that it simply does not need it. It would "hinder" the cars capabilities...

Oversteer is a part of the car, not a hinderince as in most RWD high-performance cars. Drifting this car through corners is what it was meant to do! It LIKES to go sideways, and is VERY controlable while doing so! Thats why we dont want Traction control in it :P

However, in vehicless like a RX300 or performance-RWD car like a Corvette, I could definatly see myself wanting this feature... Theyre just too hard to control when drivin 9/10ths or in emergency situations where the car would be thrown around and into spinout situations, but it had BETTER have a off-switch!
  • pattim3pattim3 Member Posts: 533
    Sorry about the test drive experience. Some dealers with limited inventory are hesitant to allow test drives because folks do not want to buy a car with miles on it. Plus, one dealer had three that got wrecked in test drives.

If you call us at 1-800-SUBARU3, we can talk to your dealer to let them know that you are serious. We can't "make" a dealer change their policies, but we can try to persuade them.

Acepero - if you call us, have the name of your dealer handy and we can see what we can find on your order.

Patti
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    I think if you read the Edmunds user's agreement, you'll see it asks that no ads be placed within Town Hall. Edmunds provides a separate function for buying/selling cars.
  • svillekensvilleken Member Posts: 9
    For anyone interested...Vic Bailey Subaru in Spartanburg, SC has a blue 5spd sedan, loaded, available on their lot. But they don't have my blue 5spd loaded wagon yet, 8 weeks and counting...
    They aren't the only ones with egos, they just tend to have bigger egos! ;-)

Your example is for a RWD car, and in that case I think there is more value in such a system, because there is far less traction than with AWD.

I like the idea of advanced traction and stability control, then again I'm not shopping for a WRX. Donuts are even called "Scoobnuts" on i Club.

Did you get to read the C&D comparo of AWD wagons recently? They tested a Bimmer 3 series, an Audi, a Passat 4Motion, and a VDC. The VDC was the only one with traction/stability control and no off switch. So they took to the (snow) track.

I'm sure they had more fun with the systems off, but in the end the only car they didn't crash into a snow bank was the Subaru.

-juice
  • searnestsearnest Member Posts: 4
    " I've heard about weak air conditioning in the WRX. Can somebody confirm or refute this? "

I've been driving my wagon for 2 weeks. Compared to the 2000 OB I had before, the wrx air conditioning appears less powerfull. On a drive yesterday in 90 degree humid weather it cut in and out more than the OB, and at times blew air on the warm side. The automatic sedan that I test drove was also this way.

Lets face it: all that exhaust gas being re-routed through the turbo has got to make for a warm engine compartment. On a positive note......if you live someplace with real winters you will probably have no compalints about the heating.

Overall I would rate the wrx AC as acceptable.
    For the record, I wasn't slamming SC nor saying it's bad. I was just saying it's not *as* a necessary in an AWD car with a limited-slip diff. This was coming from an owner of a dealership that has driven Subaru's for over 20 years.

As you may know, our AWD systems are controllable by varying throttle input. I've been in some pretty slick situations and getting on the throttle has pulled me out. The same for my wife who also drives a Subaru and commuted to NW NJ last winter during some nasty snow storms.

I also recall that when the OB VDC came out, some people here at Edmunds were trying to get the VDC to "kick in" and had a hard time at it.

Dennis
    Subaru claims that they've tuned it conservatively, so that the AWD can act first.

-juice
  • jdbtensaijdbtensai Member Posts: 122
    From what I have read people love the handling and the acceleration, at least when the rpms get up there. My question is, what is your opinion of the wrx on the highway? How does it feel and sound going 60? 70? 80?
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    jdbtensai - I've had the oportunity to take a few 200+ mile trips and I can tell you that the WRX is excellent on the highway. It's very quiet. If I wasn't a geezer, almost too quiet. There is very little difference in the feel of the car at 60, 70, or 80. I had a chance on an early morning trip to the beach to run it up over 100 .. it's rock solid. My wife continued to sleep until I woke her up and said quess how fast we're going!
    It reminds me of an RX-7 I had, some years back, in that at high speeds the car feels glued to the road.
    - hutch
    100mph on the eastern shore? You animal! ;-)

-juice
  • phatride01phatride01 Member Posts: 23
    On the highway, the car is nice. It's very easy to go from 60-80 mph in no time, and the rev's climb without hesitation.

I have not reached the limit of 100+ mph yet, as I am still "breaking-in" the car...but to get to 70 from an on-ramp is not difficult at all.

There is not much wind noise, but one can expect a little, as the sashless doors allow some air to intrude. However, with the stereo tuned to the right volume, it's minimal.

The car, overall, is very nice, and as I learn the manual shift points for the best "pull," it makes it even more fun to drive in the low-rpm range. There's not much shudder, in the gears, and drivetrain, if one learns the correct shift points in the low-rpm range on local roads.

Other than that, twisties (S-curves), with the wagon, are really fun, and as I read more about "drift," I understand what it means. For a first time owner of an AWD turbo wagon, I am definately learning many new things, and it's TOTALLY fun! :)

later,
    phatride01.
This discussion has been closed.