Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I had Yokohama AVS Intermediates on my car. Best summer tire I've ever had and relatively cheap.

Now I'm running Kumho V700s for auot-x, and they stick like glue :)

I hear the Pzeros are worth the money as well.

For an All-season I use Firehawk GTAs, decent all-weather.

-mike
  • sajohnsonsajohnson Member Posts: 48
    I have the 730's on my sedan, stock size on stock rims and for all-around street handling I've settled on 35psi front and 33psi rear (cold). This is a compromise between ride vs. handling and ultimate grip vs. quick reflexes.

No warranty expressed or implied...
  • pfifferpfiffer Member Posts: 47
    Thanks, I'll try 32 psi tomorrow and let you know
  • brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    how much is new-impreza charging for the plastic covers? I only saw the install on his site.
  • wrxpwrwrxpwr Member Posts: 3
    I have not posted in some time (too busy driving my sedona red WRX and my lone stint in traffic school to remove my first ticket) but I have a question. Perhaps it has been asked before, but I only scrolled back 150 messages and didn't see it.

Has anyone noticed scoring on their brakes? I took my in for the oil change and mentioned what I perceived as severe scoring. The techs showed me a service bulletin mentioning some "hi-tech" treatment that only looks like scoring as it wears.

Is this right?

Also, I have noticed the same suspension-like noise from my brand new car, and the dealers said they could not replicate the noise.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car, just wanted to, know if anyone else had seen this.
  • jtetersjteters Member Posts: 3
    I have noticed some groves on the front rotors as well. It doesn't seem to affect the stopping distance, but does sound strange. Check out the post on "grooves" on i-club.com...seems to be a common occurance on WRX's. The stopping distance is still excellent (especially with the 17" wheels -- I've had both sizes and the BBS wheels are worth the investment).

I've also noticed (since the car was new) that there are more suspension noises than I get from my 3 series (which really has no noise but it's not as much fun). I can live with the noises, the handling of this car is really something...and the sound of the turbo under boost is addictive (and limits the attention I pay to other noises).
  • wildwildwest2wildwildwest2 Member Posts: 6
    For full photos and prices for hard plastic covers for WRXs go to I-Club then go to
    i-Club Forums > i-Club Classifieds > Private Classifieds
    and find thread called:
    FS: OEM: Head/Fog protective
    covers(clear or carbon fibre "look")
    OEM Mud Flaps
    by McDade
    If you hurry you can get in on a group buy in the $50 to $70 per set range.
    Bob
    Are the BBSs really worth it? I'd think that cobb or some other aftermarket rims would do almost as well for around 1/3 the price.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They are forged, so they are very strong and light. Some early Miatas had BBS wheels optional and they are still sought after a decade later.

I guess you could ask are they worth it to YOU?

-juice
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    I've been spending a little time over at the I-Club lately and I saw the "light cover / mud flap" offer. However, if you've been following it, the flaps didn't fit the front of the WRX correctly and they are trying to find a proper fit. I want to put some mf's on before winter hits here in the N.E. Road salt is like gravel. When it hits the paint it's gonna chip.

I don't understand why Subaru didn't have mf's on the car to begin with. The flaps on my Forester work great and they're not offensive to look at. What could it cost?

Paisan, there is no way those wheels are worth 3k. There are any number of similar wheels available at reasonable prices from other mfg's.
    Having said that, my local dealer tells me he can't even get the BBS wheels right now. Go figure.
    - hutch
    Subaru should make is a factory option so they could be used in stock autocross divisions.

I know they are pricey, and I would not pay the price myself, but at least the ones for the Miata were about 25% lighter then the standard alloys, despite being the same diameter and actually 1/2" wider.

Now imagine reducing unsprung weight by that much, and having a wider rim, all which could be used in a showroom stock class that would give you the edge and allow you to beat that cocky dude that always gives you a hard time.

Then it might be worth it. See that I mean?

-juice
    I might pay 3K if it were a factory option allowable in stock auto-x class, although only the size and rim width are what matters. You don't need to have the stock rims to run em. If they offered em as a factory option you can get aftermarket rims, of the same size and still be legal.

-mike
    Interesting. I didn't know that. So make any 17" rims optional.

-juice
  • jtetersjteters Member Posts: 3
    I agree that the wheels may not be worth $3000. After doing much research I felt they were the best looking light-weight wheels (with the Subaru offset) available. I got them for $2400 at subaruparts.com. They took over two months to arrive.

I'm glad I was able to drive the car for a few months with the 16" wheels (with the RE92's) -- the difference between the two sizes is readily apparent (better tires make a large part of the difference -- Bridgestone S-O2 PP). It was also very interesting to hold the wheels before they had a tire on them....they are amazingly light. They look much better than the stock wheels.
  • rexmanrexman Member Posts: 14
    Hello Everyone:

Did my first oil change yesterday and I was baffled when I looked at the oil fill plug. I've already bought a bunch of washers from the dealership, and the manual states that you have to replace the washer, but I couldn't find one. I looked closely at the washers and they seem to have a form-fitting side to them that may be pressed into the plug when you tighten it.

Needless to say, I just put the plug back in (and checked and re-checked for leaks :) )

Any ideas?

- Rexman
    Crush washers get really thin and may stick to either the drain hole or the plug itself. Look closely, though it may have been forgotten.

-juice
    Hello Everyone:

Did my first oil change yesterday and I was baffled when I looked at the oil fill plug. I've already bought a bunch of washers from the dealership, and the manual states that you have to replace the washer, but I couldn't find one. I looked closely at the washers and they seem to have a form-fitting side to them that may be pressed into the plug when you tighten it.

Needless to say, I just put the plug back in (and checked and re-checked for leaks :) )

Any ideas?

- Rexman
  • jcamp2jcamp2 Member Posts: 7
    Tire Rack carries wheels by Speed Star Racing that will fit the WRX. For $375/wheel (17x7.5) they have SSR Competitions with an offset of +50 (just fine for WRX) which are forged and very light (about 13 lb.). Not sure how they stack up against the BBS (which may be slightly heavier). I have them with Bridgestone RE 730 (215/45's) and they are definitely a big improvement over stock.
    And I really can't tell any fellow owners a thing that's new aobut the car (all the comments -positive ones - at this site have been on the money) but rather share my bliss with you!! The siren song of this cars engine just keeps calling and calling - I've not enjoyed driving as much since my last motorcyle (10 years ago). Argueably, this car is as close to a "4 wheeled bike" as you will find on the road. The looks grow on me - I live in a neighborhood where the standard fare is a 3 series/benz and all I get are these wild-eyed stares from the neighbors - and that's half the fun!! With the BBS rims and bridgstone RE730's this thing handles and accelerates with other stock sports cars costing 50% more - without a doubt! The only problem is the ODO meter keeps climbing and my wife keeps asking - where have you been now!!

Oh well - keep those cards and letters coming to the site folks!!!
    Sweet, Campisi. Do you have pix of those rims? Mounted?

-juice
  • dill6dill6 Member Posts: 120
    I'm an ex-biker too, sold my last one in '86. In those days I even did some AFM amatuer road racing, so I was pretty hooked. Gave up motor sports though and have been driving a '91 Integra for the last 11 years, and scarcely thinking about performance wheels, neither two nor four wheel varieties. Well, the WRX brought that taste back.

I've been waffling about getting a new car for a couple of years - living in the Rockies AWD is a big plus, but I hate SUVs, and Outbacks and such are fine but I just couldn't get excited enough about one to pull out the checkbook. Audi, BMW, Volvo - too spendy for me to justify, even though I could afford one. Liberal guilt I guess. And I think I'd feel like I was driving someone else's sleek bee-yoo-tifull car.

When I heard the buzz about the WRX I went down to check it out - took one look and said, I can't drive that. Left the dealer without even sitting in it. Went to the Acura dealer down the street and test drove the new RSX and almost bought one on the spot. Whew! that was close. I really liked the new Acura in so many ways, but a couple of things irritated me enough to stop me from doing anything rash - the excessive road noise, which has been griping me in my Integra for the last 11 years, is still there. I can't believe they didn't fix that. The engine, 160 HP or not, still feels weak.

So couple of weeks later I drove a WRX. Ooops! - sold! Ordered a silver sedan w/5sp, can't wait to get it (about another month). I'l learn to live with the styling - actually I'm starting to think of it as a sort of reverse chic. Kind of flipping-off all the haughty Germans, but with a grin.
    Yes, I gets my pulse up and makes my mouth a little dry, just like riding a performance bike used to. AND it has a nice smooth highway ride, you can hear the stereo, etc. - which DOES matter to me in my real world where long highway trips are unavoidable.

So yeah, this just more preaching to the choir - I guess I'm just venting my enthusiasm - certainly not contributing any new info. Its good to have this resource though - I'm sure there'll be problems (minor, of course) and questions and you all seem to know your stuff, so thanks for being here. I'll shut up now until I have something meaningful to say.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I've seen the SSR Competitions on a silver WRX sedan and think they look great! They are a much better deal then the BBS SOA is offering as an option. There are several other great wheels out there for the WRX:

Speedline GT-1
    Prodrive, P1 & P7
    COBB CT-1

I'm going to be upgrading to a 17"tire/combo in Feb or Mar. The 17" tire/wheel upgrade is single biggest improvement one can make on the WRX for a reasonable amount of money.

Stephen
    Congrats Bill. Glad to hear performance was the #1 factor.

-juice
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Bill .. your car will be the twin to mine. Silver 5sp Sedan. You're gonna like it. Did you get any options? I got the security sys & auto mirror (which I thought was BS) turns out that the auto dimming mirror is really cool. Live and learn.

Also, if something is on your mind .. speak up. You never know when something you have on your mind will strike chord with someone else. Besides, I'm sure we will all want to hear about your winter weather driving experiences. Rockies .. eay
    - hutch
    I'm relieved to hear you halted yourself at the alter with the RSX, the WRX will be a much better long-term mate for your personality (sounds like mine). Treat yourself to the 17" rims with sticky tires - makes big difference in performance and aesthetics ! The car now looks wanky and way cool all at once - drives the jet set crazy!!

I hope you survive your "wait" better than I did.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/subaruchat.html

• mjvchicagomjvchicago Member Posts: 149
    Hi all.

I love the WRX, but it's a somewhat guilty pleasure. No, I don't own one yet. Why? Because I'm teetering on the wall of indecision.

I currently have a 93 Grand AM GT. Old, yes. Reliable, sure. Practical, to a degree. A top performer? Not really, but it's not bad. So I've been thinking about getting a new car. The WRX shows up, I take a test drive and now I'm hooked. But since then, other cars have come along that have made me rethink this. Cars like the new Mercedes C-Coupe and the new Nissan Altima. I'm 30, have 2 young kids and my practical side is calling to me, but my younger carefree side is still there and must be satisfied.

Where does that leave me? Somewhere between loving the low-cost high performance and rugged good looks of the WRX and the desire for some practicality, a step up in luxury and giving a little on my need for perormance.

I'm hopping there are others out there that went through a similar situation. I'd like to hear what you all went through so I can go one way or the other. Thanks all!
  • perritoperrito Member Posts: 66
    First of all, don't beat yourself up over this decision. It will depend on several factors:
    1) How big are your kids? If they are long-legged, or likely to become long-legged (meaning you keep this car at least 10 years), then perhaps the new Altima is the way to go, as the new interior space might make it very practical and spacious for you.

2) If you already have a larger car, then the WRX might makes sense. The trunk on the sedan is pretty spacious (15ft2 I think), and the WAGON version is even more generous. The wagon also has a bit more leg room, and a hatch, and a roof-rack.

3) The Mercedes coupe is...well, a Mercedes coupe. If it has two doors only, you're going to be bemoaning that fact when every time you take a family trip, you are flipping up the front seats, cramming kids in the back, re-adjusting the seats (repeat ad nauseum). So your choice seems easy, it just depends on your needs.

4) If you live in the "snow belt" the choice gets even easier (wait..hear that? I think it's the siren song of a WRX sedan/wagon calling to you...)

best of luck,

perrito
    Sorry, gotta disagree. The Mercedes coupe is a hatchback. Totally.

I got to drive one at the M-B Power Trip test drive event. I liked it. The interior is nice, just like the C, and the dual moonroof is awesome, better even than the Outback's. The front goes up and slides back over the rear roof. Slick.

It rides nicely, but the Kompressor engine is not smooth at all. It whines and groans to make power, not Mercedes-like at all. The 240 engine is nicer and the 320 engine was a gem. Too bad it's not offered.

It's not slow, but no match for the WRX either. The back seat felt smaller than the WRX, and access was difficult. Price starts low, but it's far higher when you add a few options.

So buy one if you aspire to own a Mercedes later on. Buy a WRX if you want to have fun now.

The Altima looks sweet. Too bad it has that physical defect: front wheel drive.

Also, Nissan has grossly overstated the power of the Q. They claim 340hp, but in comparison tests, the heavier LS430 with 290hp has been quicker. Gearing can have some affect, but I bet the real hp figure is closer to 300hp.

So you have to wonder about the Altima. They also down rated the Maxima from 260hp to 255hp. The Altima has been quick in early reviews, but still no match for the WRX.

I say get a wagon if you want to be practical.

-juice
    Also the funniest thing about the new maxima. I believe the 222hp is made in a range of the engine that is below red-line but above the max RPM of the automatic transmission. I find it funny that they have the peak hp above the highest shift-point, which renders that 222hp useless. :)

-mike
    It'll now be 255hp. I wonder if they'll "fix" that for the new model.

-juice
  • dill6dill6 Member Posts: 120
    That's a good one!
    Mine's going to be pretty bare bones - I ordered the armrest/air filter/cargo net pkg and floor mats - that's it. I'm kind of kicking myself myself right now for not getting the security system - any recommendations onan after market system? I've never had a car with one, and last year lost a nice stereo to the theiving bastards.
    I probably will get aftermarket wheels for it after I kill the OEM tires - that way I can keep true winter tires on the stock wheels and summer tires on the others. By the way, do the 17"ers make the ride much harsher?
    On the WRX/Altima/Benz question - sounds like you have only driven the WRX so far? If so, go get in those other ones and drive around, I think you'll have your answer right away. Researching on the net and reading magazines (and soliciting other peoples opinions!) is great for narrowing things down but there's no substitute for your own first hand experience.
    And, thanks, but no, I'm not enjoying the wait very much at all. Can't wait to get my hands on the beast!
  • ramiller1ramiller1 Member Posts: 124
    are going to give a lot of bang for the buck and look great from the photos so far.

But really I would never give up my WRX wagon for either one. The Rex is just too much fun to drive. Somehow it always seems to put a smile on your face every time you get behind the wheel, something I've never experienced with any other car.

Plus, it's designed to cover ground quickly under any circumstances--in the rain, over dirt roads, etc. that most cars just can't compete in. Those built in World Rally genes really make it a great value for the money.

If you buy one, the only problem you need to be aware of is that you will end up piling on a helluva lot of extra miles because you are always finding excuses to go for a drive somewhere, or offering to run an errand for a neighbor that you wouldn't have thought about doing otherwise.
    You will be gone so much, your spouse will probably think you are up to something or have some kind of affair going on. Makes it rough, but it's a cross you just have to bear if you want to own one of these little gems.
    Don't kid yourself, YOU DO HAVE AN AFFAIR GOING ON - it's just a bit different given that
    this mistress has 4 wheels and requires only periodic maitenance!!!
    I have the Bridgestone potenza 730 215-45-17 tires and they are definitely noisier than the RE92's and the ride is somewhat harsher over road bumps etc. I imagine the decision really depends on where you drive - if it is really tough terrain I would look at a different tire - if it is mostly newer ashphalt I would definitely go for the sport tires!
    You're right, guess to keep peace in the family, I'd better bring the cot back in and stop sleeping out in the garage for awhile ;-).
  • perritoperrito Member Posts: 66
    Coupe, hatchback, whatever. My point was (for Michael) that the Mercedes has two doors and if he has kids, he's going to be doing the lift-and-drop routine on a daily basis. That's all... so it's a hatchback. I like the looks, but could never drive a Mercedes on a daily basis.
    latah!
    perrito
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    I've heard time and time from people who love it, but since I'm thinking of buying one ( actually, I'm waiting for the STI), I'd rather hear from anyone who bought one and can say they regret it. Are there ANY complaints, deficiencies, problems, defects strong enough to make me say I wish I'd bought the new Altima or Maxima? By the way, I saw two blaze yellow sedans at a dealership in Bath, Maine.
    Agghh, received my first parking lot ding (should have taken a limo to the airport) this past weekend on the passenger-side rear door. Not a big one, but noticeable (at least to me :) ). Was thinking of going to one of these "DentWizard" shops here in MA or NH. These shops claim to be able to remove 90-95% of all dings, and from what I understand, they basically remove the trim panel from the door and gently "massage" the dent out from the inside.

Question 1 - would any WRX owner here ever contemplate having that done to their baby? Any experiences out there with these places? Recommendations?

Question 2 - am I just too anal (don't answer that one :) )

- Rexman
  • jbreez1jbreez1 Member Posts: 46
    A funny thing happened on the way to my local BMW dealer. I saw the WRX on a ramp and pulled into the drive. I've been looking at the WTX for awhile and went back to the BImmer, but I thought, "What the heck" A salesman greeted me and I asked if he had any WRXs to look at . He said sure. He had a white and a silver with spoiler (sticker around 25 something. I asked if I could sit in it, he said okay. He then asked me to take a drive!

Going back tomorrow with the wife,if she can handle the manual, good chance I'll buy it, especially after I went to the BMW dealership and the salesman showed me a couple 2001 325s, loaded with add ons to bring the price at 32-33K! He then stated that they don't deal much because of the demand for the car and If I didn't buy it, someone else would!

I'll keep you posted!

jbreez1 in Orlando
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    Ya, BMW jacks up the price on all their options :( And I wouldnt get one without the sports package, which right then puts it over 30k... Sucks...

Anyway, good luck with the WRX and the wifey! :D
  • mjvchicagomjvchicago Member Posts: 149
    Thanks for the responses... definitely haven't test-driven Altima or Mercedes yet. Doing my iniitial research before hitting the dealerships. I'm also considering the Grand Am GT (the incumbent deserves a chance to fight, right?) since I've been pretty satisfied with myu 93 grand am gt. But everyone brings up good points.

I actually am thinking of getting a Forrester or Legacy wagon to replace our other aging car (92 Escort), so we'll have a practical car and a fun car... hmmm.. I think I just answered my own question here. With a Forrester/Legacy and a WRX, wouldn't I have all my bases covered? Maybe so. ANyone ever hear of a Subaru dealer giving a little discount if we buy two cars the same day? :)
    We have both now and we were surprised how well these two go together. A real dynamic duo. Each one has its own personality that's sort of pleasingly different from the other.

The Forester has a great boulevard ride and is nice for long relaxed trips. Plus it can hustle over a good windy road when you want it to--really one of the best handling SUVs on the planet and looks great if you put some nice tint on it.

And the WRX. . .well, you have an idea what that's all about.
    Roper Subaru in Joplin, Mo. will sell you either vehicle for $500 over dealer cost, with any options you want at cost (you can verify the prices here on Edmund's). Plus they will truck them 200-300 miles at no charge for you. I imagine you could sweet talk them into trucking them all the way to St. Louis to pick up if you buy both. These are great people to deal with--you won't be disappointed. If you're interested, talk to Jeremy Strup--they even have a toll-free number--1-800-743-0311 ext. 5567 and no, I'm not making any commission off of this.
    Or you might be able to find a small town dealer in your area to give you a good deal.
    You could buy a loaded Forester S and WRX for about 45 grand, about what you'd pay for the one Mercedes.
    Good luck with it, whatever you decide.
  • yellowbikedonyellowbikedon Member Posts: 228
    Michael,

Call Elmer Hansen at Liberty Subaru in Libertyville. The number is 847.362.2683. Before I moved to Florida from Evanston this past April, I dealt with Elmer for a number of years. He will work with you and, more importantly, be up front. He knows Subaru inside out and pulls no punches. I have recommended him and Liberty Subaru to at least a dozen buyers over the past few years. I know you won't be disappointed.

If you do call him, give him my warmest (no pun intended) regards!

Don
  • fubarufubaru Member Posts: 5
    As a current (happy) '02 WRX sedan owner and a former '95 Altima owner, I'd like to test drive the 2002 Altima since it sounds like has major increase in peformance just to see how good it might be.

On paper the new Altima sounds great (slightly better HP/weight ratio than the WRX!) and the suspension is supposedly greatly upgraded too. If I hadn't already bought the WRX then I would seriously consider the Altima. My old Altima was
    a nice, solid family car with OK power (about the same as the 2.5RS) that handled like crap.

Sounds like the new altima is a nice, solid family car with LOTS of power & might handle OK for a FWD.
  • StefanStefan Member Posts: 4
    I am very interested in the WRX wagon, but wonder about it's offroad abilities. The info I have seen on it says that the wagon has 6.1 in. of clearance. Have any of you WRX owners ventured off road?

I will need my WRX to get into put in and take out spots on canoe trips and get me to trail heads. Not true 4-wheelin but the roads around here (Montana) can get pretty rough. With the rally past of the WRX, it should be able to handle it, but it sure looks low to the ground.

Also, anyone bought from Montana dealers? Any input appreciated.

Stefan
    Rexman: I used to make fun of Beemer owners who always parked their cars the hell away from everyone in a parking lot, but now I find myself doing the very same thing for the reason you mentioned.
    The Rex doesn't have the rubber door strip most cars do to protect it along the side, and is very vulnerable to parking lot damage.
    The Dent Wizard people could probably fix it OK
    but a good shop that specializes in Subarus might give you more peace of mind even though they may charge a little more.
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    Subaru makes THE BEST All-Road vehicles... for any type of road you need ALA rally style :)
    But dont take it on the Rubicon anytime soon :P
    These two vehicles will likely have a considerable difference in personality/feel on the road. With a better power/weight ratio for the Altima (12.6 Ibs/hp for Altima vs. 13.6 for WRX), acceleration times will likely be comparable. With the V6 power and increased size, Altima will definitely have the edge in the low RPM acceleration and highway cruising comfort.

Even with suspension improvements, the 2002 Altima will have difficulty in tracking the WRX on the twisties will lack the raw edge excitement of the REX given its styling (love it or leave it) and the sweet sounding boxer turbo engine.

So, it depends what you want? A very credible, quiet and fast cruiser with decent handling or a fast, slightly cramped, AWD rally-based vehicle with outstanding handling and tons of personality.

They will be 2 very different vehicles so you choose! Personally, having gone from a Honda Accord (similar personality to the new Altima but slower) to the WRX, I've experience a re-birth in driving pleasure. The WRX handles so well, and excites sooo much, you just want to drive all day. I'm gladly giving up a few create comforts for a soul-stirring experience that has continued for 3 weeks now!!
    Wait for the B4 to come over, then the legacy will be both a bigger car and fast :)

-mike
This discussion has been closed.