Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    Anywhere above 4000', the WRX will blow the doors off of the Altima. Add AWD, that just sweetens the pot. Absolutely two different leagues.

Jim
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I know that people compare all types of vehicles when considering buying...I know I did. But, you're absolutely on the money about the WRX being in a totally different class! :-)

Stephen
  • bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    Assuming I can qualify for peoplefirst.com's current 6.7% on a 60month note, should I stick with the standard 10%? Or put as much as I can while maintaining some reserve savings?

As soon as I get my Q3 bonus check (my company's Q3 ends Sept 30, so the bonus should show up in my checking account by mid/late Oct) I'm going to place the order. At that point I'll probably have ~$13k in the bank.

TIA

DjB
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    For anyone considering the installation of a V1 or other detector, I found the following link at I-Club. The guy (Mike) provided excellent documentation on the installation.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292462839

- hutch

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Keep in mind Nissan has been overstating HP figures lately. The new Q supposedly has 340hp, but it's been slower than the heavier LS430 with 290hp in road tests. Gearing has some effect, but it still sound like Nissan was very optimistic.

Early Altima reviews show times slower than the WRX, even with the AWD drivetrain losses, despite the Altima's supposedly better power-to-weight ratio. Smells fishy.

-juice
  • StefanStefan Member Posts: 4
    I thought Subaru was offering 2.9% finacing on all their cars now. I would check into that. The more you put down, the smaller your payment.
    Subaru.com says that's for 2001 models. I'll send an email to my chosen dealer rep this evening and ask him.

DjB
    It probably is. If you want a 2002, wait until the 2001s are all gone, because they usually have similar low-finance rate offers during the year.

-juice
  • dsackmandsackman Member Posts: 145
    Doug,

With cash reserves of a mere $13,000 you should not venture into additional expenses of this nature. A rule of thumb is to have enough cash available for about 6 months worth of expenses. A five year (60 months) note is a long time. Do you know how much interest you are paying over that period even at 2.9%?

Maybe you want to purchase a vehicle you can afford and need, rather than the one you merely want?

Daniel
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm in debt up the wazzoo, and have a payment of like $700 a month on my trooper... Go figure...

-mike
    Peoplefirst.com's calculator says interest paid on a 25K note at their current rate of 6.65% would be ~$4500.

Does anybody in the middle class of America have enough cash on hand to live their normal life for 6 months?

BTW that 13K would just about cover me for 6 months anyway. I live a pretty simple life; low rent and student loan are about the only unavoidable monthly costs I have. I paid off my current car completely about 3 weeks ago, so don't have to worry about that.

DjB
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    I've said it before, but just as a reminder to those who might not have seen the posts, even with my old 1994 Turbo Legacy Sedan w/ only 160 hp, I would leave VR6's, Maximas, Audi A4's, etc. behind easily as I climbed out of Denver (5,000')up to Summit County (8,500'-10,000'). I'd be in 5th gear listening to that sweet turbo whine, and they would be at redline or near it in 3rd or 4th gear. Someone posted that you loose 25% of your power at 4,000'. That's not what I've read over the years. I've heard more like 10-15% at 5,000', and 25-33% at 10,000'. That means, where I lived, I had the equivalent of a 250 hp (n/a) car. The WRX would then be the equivalent of a 340 hp (n/a) car. Try finding a 340 hp car for $25k. That's the way I look at it. And as for the B4, holy cow, try to keep me away, if it ever happens.

Jim
    ...but we have a lil' toddler and that changes your priorities a bit.

Plus, we were DINKs for a long time and had beer tastes on a champagne budget.

-juice
    Whassat?

Oh, wait, Double Income No Kids.

Got it.

DjB
    Yeah, but we're plannin on a 2nd now so eventually we'll become SITCOMs. Single-income, two children, oppressive mortgage.

Ours is a jumbo mortgage, so we'll qualify. Yikes!

-juice
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    IMO, downpayment is based on interest rate and monthly payment comfort level. Think of it this way, if the interest rate for the loan that you are applying for is 7% and ASSUMING that there are no other investments that can beat 7% (like CDs, IRAs, etc.), then it would be worthwhile to put down more money as it would seem like you are investing with a 7% return.

If, for example, the interest rate is 2.9%, it may be worthwhile putting less down and investing the difference in a higher paying investment. Now, monthly payment comfort level comes into play -- make sure that your downpayment makes your monthly payment comfortable to you, even if the interest rate is low.

So, the 10% guide may no longer apply, at least to me. Hope that helps.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Hey, that's me! It really puts a dent in WRX shopping. :(
  • mjvchicagomjvchicago Member Posts: 149
    Has anyone else been disappointed about the gauges the WRX comes with? Obviously the requisite tach, fuel and temp are needed, but why offer the more sporty (and in my opinion, necessary) guages as an option? My experience has shown that having voltage, manifold pressure and oil temp gauges can really help. Am I just too demanding, or do I have an unnecessary reliance on these gauges? Are cars so trouble-free that I only need to worry about the engine temp and the fuel level?
    Almost all vehicles in the past 3 years have been cutting out guages.

My 2000 Trooper doesn't have the nice Oil Pressure and Volt guages that my '97 Rodeo had.

My XT6 has the oil pressure and Volts guage on it and that was back in '88.

-mike
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    $700 a month for a Trooper!!???!!! WTF? You could get an M3 or S4 for less than that per month!!!

Anyway, My parents have pretty much all cash on hand, and no payments on houses, cars, loans, or credit cards. The only monthly stuff they pay are things like the cable, gas, electricity, phone, and the internet...

In fact, we had an Article in the Sacramento Bee (newspaper) about it that you can see here:

http://www.sacbee.com/ib/finance/makeover/martegani.html

was with zero out of pocket for 48 month loan (it's actually a little less than $700) also I don't have perfect credit so I'm paying like 11% interest.

-mike
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Whoa! The previous two posts sure do demonstrate opposing viewpoints for the spend now vs. save now debate.

-Frank P.
    paisan has a point - cost cutting has brought an end to many guages. The 1993 and earlier Miatae had working oil pressure guages. Later on, they were just dummy guages that measure on the presence of some pressure (not the precise amount).

But you can always get the optional gauge pod.

Gulp. With 10% down, a 48 month loan at 11% on a BMW M3 is $1,071.05! Ouch.

-juice
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Stefan - I don't think you'd have a problem at all. A little common sense will get you a long way on a trail. Like Kosta said, just don't try to tackle the Rubicon Trail (or drive over fallen trees).

Here's a link to some RS' off-roading in NJ:

http://www.isuzu-suvs.com/subaru/pinebarrens.html

One was even lowered. He got stuck once trying to go over that steep berm (or whatever you call it). Although only a few of us crazies tried that. :-) The rest of the day we were going through deep sand, mud and some narrow trails with no problems (except for the Trooper that went through the water too fast).

Dennis

We are going back on Sept 15th, for a longer, better trail!

-mike
    I'm in, with my Forester. Can't wait.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Just saw several WRXs at a dealer with the column-mounted turbo boost gauge. This is the first time I've seen the gauge in person. It's rather small. I wonder how hard it is to read/use?

Bob
  • jcamp2jcamp2 Member Posts: 7
    Juice
    Sorry just saw your post re pix of the SSR Comps mounted. No pix yet - hoping to get my hands on a friends digital camera soon. IHMO the anthracite and machine finish look good with the Sedona Red.

Stephen
    There are several other after market wheels that look good and have the proper offset (like the Prodrives and OZ wheels). Don't know much about the Cobb wheels but there are not as many forged wheels available at as good a price as the SSRs. I have been assured that they are strong - but time will tell how they handle the dirt roads we occasionally traverse in New Mexico.
    I'm leaning towards the Speedline GT-1's (also known as "Routa")in 17"silver. They, IMHO, look so "right" on the WRX, especially on a silver WRX like the one in the pic. Check out the link below.

http://www.rallyperformance.com/wheels.htm

Stephen
    I like those Indianapolis wheels. Nice color, especially.

-juice
    the Prodrive P7's but with technomagio (or something close to that) on the wheel instead of Prodrive. They also are a bit less expensive than the P7's. I like them better off the car than on but they still are on my short list.

Stephen
  • v_techv_tech Member Posts: 52
    the WRX is certainly a very impressive piece of machinery. no car under 30K can touch this car in performance and no bimmer over 30K except for the M series can touch this car. i am impressed with it but it still costs 23K and you have to sacrifice a lot when you sell a car for that cheap. this is why the car looks like a tin can to me. but it IS fast. =)

vtec
    and what do you suggest is as fast, and looks better? perhaps a riced out civic? ;)

-mike
  • StefanStefan Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone seen rock deflectors for the new Impreza headlights and fog lamps? I'll bet those "bug eye" headlights cost a fortune to replace.

Thanks to all for the offroad posts and pictures. Looks like the WRX will have no problems going off road.

Stefan
    Sorry, that statement isn't even worthy of a response.

-juice
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    I'm not a big believer in owner surveys, and I don't think J.D. Power hung the moon, but can anyone comment on Subaru's poor showing in the 2000 and 2001 JDP Initial Quality Survey? In 2000, Subaru was ranked #32 with 202 problems per 100 cars (158 was the industry avg.). In 2001, Subaru was #31 with 183 problems per 100 cars (avg. was 147). About the only cars that did worse were bottom feeders like Hyundai, Kia, Isuzu, Suzuki, Land Rover and new for 2001, Mazda. How does this jibe with everyone's glowing reports of how wonderful their Subarus are?
    They're only measuring the first 90 days. Not exactly a long-term. Subaru does better than average in longer-term studies.

Check out Consumer Reports for specific data, but every Subie does average or better. Imprezas are a little better than average, and Foresters are even better than that.

In fact, last year the Forester was 3rd in the JD Power initial quality study in its class. Strategic Vision picked Forester as #1 in its class.

So the initial problems don't indicate poor reliability. VW is the opposite. They do better at first, and then they tend to fall apart in the long-term.

Think about something else, too. The first 90 days are covered under warranty. Down the road you are not. So long-term counts far more.

-juice
    I believe their survey is occurances. For instance, the Isuzu guys have been complaining about non-issue items, like the car needed an alignment or other such small things, whereas other makers have major problems like trannys, motors, etc. A poorly placed floormat gets equal weight to a blown up tranny in the first 90 days. IMHO there is a big difference.

-mike
    Well, on Subies the #1 problem is with check-engine lights, usually from a loose gas cap or a bad O2 sensor, a $20 part.

Look at GM's new SUVs. They had suspensions that were collapsing. Owners were told not to drive them, the problem was so serious.

Ford had wheels falling off their Escapes. Also, the steering wheels were coming off and they had to order a stop-build on those, too.

So yes, your point is valid.

-juice
    The rubbing of the tires against the frame rails on the 2002 Exploders, and the under-torqued rear glass that would smash into a million pieces going over bumps! :)

-mike
    Actually, I would rather forget and then deal with a check engine light, if that ever occurs! ;-)

-juice
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/subaruchat.html

• corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    It's a shame none of the magazines tested this car in winter. With an exposed intercooler, this car should really fly when the temperatures dip. I would'nt be surprise if it took a good 2 tenths off.
  • sajohnsonsajohnson Member Posts: 48
    Personally, I trust Consumer Reports over JD Power. According to the April Auto issue of CR, the Impreza is one of the most reliable used cars. They recommend it in every model year going back 8 or 10 years. No other car-not even Honda or Toyota-can make the same claim.
  • nschulman3nschulman3 Member Posts: 125
    I just purchased my sedona red wrx 5speed 3 weeks ago. So far, I love the car. It handles great, is super fast (once you get going) and the awd is better than in my a4. I know one of the reasons they were able to sell this car with all the performance it carries for such a reasonable price is by cutting corners with the quality of materials and basing the car on the tried and true Impreza platform. However, the quality really is subpar. The cupholders feel as if they are going to break any time and the doors usually take me two times to close because of the tinny feeling. Also, th windows rattle in the cylinder and the plastic on the dash is of poor quality. Even a Hyundai loaner I have right now is more solid. It isn't that i don't love the car, just that Subaru could have put a little more into the product. I drove an Rsx-Type s last week. It is the closest thing to a wrx for the price, albeit without awd, and that car is actually a few thousand less. That car is much more impressive inside, and I am not only talking about the design. The doors close with a much more authoritative sound and the dash material is superior. Still, once i hit the open road, there is no substitute for the subie. By the way, does anyone else have the short-shift? If you do, how much better is it? Also, can anyone recommend another aftermarket short-shift?
  • pomloverpomlover Member Posts: 5
    You don't like the "tinny" sound of the doors closing so you open them again and then close them? That's weird.

By the way, not to start anb arguement but, I don't agree with anything you said about the quality of the car. By no means is it a luxury vehicle but that is not what Subaru intended. It's a quality, no frills speedster. I love everything about it because it's unique and its got character. That's something that is rare is automobiles in this day and age.
    From my experience the S-Type Acuras are all sporty luxury. The WRX is not intended to be sporty luxury, it's all sporty.

If you want the luxury, you go back to the SVX, and XT6 days. SVX MSRP = ~$30K in 1992, XT6 MSRP = ~$20K in 1988.

-mike
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    you can't slam them hard like other makes, they don't close if you slam them hard, a firm but deliberate action is all thats needed. I took my first legacy sedan back to the dealer several times in the first few months and said there was a problem with the doors and boot. They kept saying they couldn't find the problem, then the service manager showed me how to do it the Subaru way and its not been a problem the last 10 years! Slam them hard esp the boot and it will spring open on you or not close properly! When I test drove a WRX wagon I didn't notice any problems.
  • pagemillroadpagemillroad Member Posts: 11
    I guess he meant that because the doors seem so fragile he tends to not shut them with enough force the first time around (if the windows are rolled down partially).

As a former Forester owner and current WRX sedan owner, have to agree that Subaru doesn't pay much attention to the interior of the Impreza and its derivatives. MOMO steering wheels aside.
    Nobody is going to buy an Impreza or Forester because they fell in love with the interior.

My question is, does the Legacy series have any better interior? Do they rattle as badly?
    I've never driven one of them.
This discussion has been closed.