Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• pfifferpfiffer Member Posts: 47
    After 2000 miles I've had no squeaks or rattles, the car feels very solid. Having said that, you tend to hear the mechanics of this car much more than some others (engine, exhaust, drivetrain). Rather than giving that luxury car type ride that can be had from some sport sedans (i.e. Passat, Audi, BMW etc) the WRX sounds more mechanical but at the same time feels as solid, and stable as anything I've driven. It certainly provides a different riding experience than my previous car (98 Accord) - more mechanical but is fun x100!!
  • nschulman3nschulman3 Member Posts: 125
    They are such totally different cars that it is difficult to compare. I owned an audi a4 1.8t quattro and when the lease was up, i looked at a passat. The car drove beautifully, had an elegant and well-thought out interior and looked good. Still, the car was not nearly as sporting as my audi (without sport package). So, I decided to get another audi, this time a tt coupe. Last month, I also bought a wrx sedan (sedona red 5 speed sedan). I am very happy with the car, but it has numerous contrasting factors. For instance, the car feels very cheap (like when you close the trunk or go through a car wash you hear noises you never hear in the audi), yet it has no rattles. Also, you think of the wrx as a pure, rough uninhibited sports sedan, but the engine is almost too quiet. An earlier post mentions how it doesn't feel as fast as it actually is and this is very true. The car is very calm and inspires confidence at any speed. I like the shifter and the breaks are less touchy than the audi or vw, while stopping just as well. Tyhe seats look flimsy, but are actually very comfortable. As far as the radio, I must ask if anyone can recommend a good upgrade. I, like many others, did not get the upgrade, but the stock system is terrible, especially the speakers. Not being an audiophile, should i just get a good pair of speakers put in? Overall, great car.
  • jk111jk111 Member Posts: 125
    unfortunally, I am getting some squeaks and my car is only 4000 miles old. Some type of squeak from the front side suspension. I will need to take it in for a check up.
    WRX is definitly not as comfortable as the passat. And it will be louder as well. But I treat those things as "performance" Noises.. hehe.
    When i ordered my car, i asked for the short-shifter. The dealer told me they were not yet available, but that i should be able to get it in New Jersey (I bought my car 300 miles from home to save $2100). I was told the shifter would cost me 260.00. The installation price was outrageous. Anyone have experience with the short-shifter and what kind of price should i expect to pay. Also, is the sti short-shifter advertised on subaruparts.com the same as the one sold at subaru dealers?
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Just a FYI: The US/Canandian spec WRX has more HP than the Aussie/New Zealand & Euro markets, 227 vs 218 or so. The only market that has more is the Japanese home market. So, yes Subaru did have to drop the HP but not as much as they did in other markets. I have no doubt that if the marketplace is deemed favorable SOA of bring the STI here.

Stephen
  • rexmanrexman Member Posts: 14
    The more I live with my Rex, the more I'm realizing that it's probably one of the best-built cars out there. I've had mine for almost three months now, with plenty of driving down dreaded I-93 and I-495 in MA, and I'm damned impressed to say that there is but one tiny little chip in the paint on the hood. Looking a lot more closely at the hood paint, it appears that it's almost kind of "rubberized", and is definitely very chip-resistant (at least in black). None of the other cars I've ever owned have taken kindly to those highways...

We can sit here and moan and groan about the noise the car makes (or lack of), but it's these little things that should make us realize how much thought went into its design :)

Just my 0.02 worth...

- Rexman
  • cupholder1cupholder1 Member Posts: 231
    The Passat also has incredible gas mileage. My '99 1.8T averages 25 MPG in hard city driving, and it takes regular unleaded. I get about 33 MPG in highway driving.

I was ready to buy a WRX wagon, but have now put it off with the WTC disaster. Right now, I am liking a car that sips regular instead of one that guzzles premium.

Sure, the WRX can get decent mileage if your drive it the same way Grandpa drives his Oldsmobile... but then, what would be the point? May as well get the Impreza RS...
    You will also pay a lot less for car insurance with a Passat.

The WRX's upside is obvious... it kicks [non-permissible content removed].. When I test drove it, the salesman just handed me the key and said have fun... driving it put a big smile on my face, to say the least. If he had the color I wanted in stock I would have bought it then and there. But with this madness in the middle east, I'm sure glad I didn't make the purchase...
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Cupholder do you live in jacksonville?
  • jcamp2jcamp2 Member Posts: 7
    If we are talking about the WRX - it comes standard with 6 speakers - one bass/midrange in each door and one tweeter in each front door. The upgraded speaker package replaces the front door speakers with improved speakers. I think on the RS you gain tweeters in the upgraded speaker package.

I have the short shifter in my WRX and think it is well worth it. The total cost of the shifter installed was $350. The item advertised at subaruparts.com is the factory unit. Other's such as Kartboy are available for about $100, although they do not include the entire linkage, and a lot of people seem really happy with them.
    I'm really curious - could you elaborate on what you specifically notice the difference to be between the stock and short shifter? Does it make the gating more precise, or just the length of the throws shorter? Do you actaully feel you can make 1-2, 2-3 shifts more quickly than with the stock unit? Did you ever have the short-shifter installed right of the lot or did you use the stock unit for a period of time? Any info would be helpful since this is an option I'm considering after 2,000 miles with my REX.

thanks Ed
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I recently tried the "shifting" of a WRX that was equipped with the short shifter—on the showroom floor. It felt a bit more precise and the throws were shorter. I haven't "driven" one however.

Bob
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I had a chance to drive a new Impreza WRX today.

Talk about frightening car to drive! It's not the quietest car out there but when the car FLIES onto the freeway like no tomorrow you can ignore the noise issue easily. The handling is really good, very neutral almost right up to the limit even on windy roads.

If I had US$26K to burn I'll take it in a New York minute.
  • ramiller1ramiller1 Member Posts: 124
    After 2750 mi. our WRX wagon has no squeaks or rattles of any kind--really solid as a bowling ball. Besides the new body structure, a Subie mechanic showed me that the WRX also has a pair of special reinforcement braces on the underside of the front suspension that really adds to the structural integrity of the car.

The lack of sound insulation means you are going to hear more mechanical noises than most other cars. Not a bad thing really--some very desirable early Porsches were the same way--after a while you sort of enjoy having the car "talk" to you while you're out on the road.

The only problem for me so far was the creaking sound from the suspension mentioned here before. This isn't really the car's fault, but is caused by grit and gravel getting caught and imbedded in the undercoating on the coil springs.

If you ever have this problem, have the dealer clean out the area where the coils contact the lower spring perches. Also, they need to lubricate this area really good with wheel bearing grease, and it should take care of the problem (knock-on-wood) :)
  • luckydog5luckydog5 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a silver sedan on Wednesday that came with the upgraded stereo package (speakers and subwoofer). So far I have no complaints. I haggled on the price and got enough off to absorb the extra cost. There was an identical car available with the spoiler for about the same price as the stereo upgrade and being a music lover I opted for the obvious. The speakers sound good and the sub is adequate. I'm sure I could do better spending the extra money at a stereo store, but since the car already had the upgrade, I am happy with it for now. The next money spent will be on 17" wheels and sticky tires. Someday I will probably replace the entire stereo with aftermarket (DVD and surround), but for now the upgrade made more sense to have an acceptable stereo for the short run. I was replacing a Miata and so far all I can say is WOW about the handling. Can't wait to get throught the first 1000 miles.....
  • jayenglishjayenglish Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone

I just bought a new WRX on Friday and I absolutely love it. I have the Subaru 6disc CD changer w/ cassette and think its nice but the sound quality in the car leaves something to be deserved. Not wanting to remove the 6 disc changer I was hoping to be able to hook it up to my amp/sub. I have a couple questions--

1. Is there a way to hook up the subaru CD changer deck to a subwoofer amp? It doesn't have the standard RCA connections.

2. When I try to remove the subaru deck, it has 3 sets of wires: the wiring harness group, the antenna cord, and a "mystery" black wire. This wire is connected to the side of the unit. Does anyone know what this is and how to take it off? it needs to be unplugged somehow in order to remove the unit.

3. I want to run a power wire from the car's battery to the subwoofer amp. Any ideas how I can get through the firewall into the interior of the car?

Thanks in advance!
    Jay
  • jayenglishjayenglish Member Posts: 2
    Hi again,

I figured out the first 2 questions that I previously had, but now another issue came up. I want to splice into the speaker wire for the rear speakers. So I checked the wiring at the rear speakers and both doors had the same color wires attached to the speakers - blue/yellow and red/yellow. But when I looked at the different wires by the head unit, there was only one blue/yellow wire and one red/yellow wire! Would they have used wires that are a different color at one end and the other? It doesn't make sense!

Also, I still would appreciate any ideas on how to run a power cord from the battery through the firewall into the interior of the car.

Thanks again,
    Jay
  • wrxdudewrxdude Member Posts: 9
    I am very close to Making a purchase and wanted to ask someone that has some experience with the turbo gage extra. How usefull is this item? how important is it in the course of driving being that I dont plan to race officially. I do want to know if i have problems with the boost or too much or little pressure in the motor . So could someone care to specultate on the value of this gage that is an extra on one of the vehicles considerd?
    I think a turbo gauge is not useful if you are just going to leave the car stock. You will definitly want a turbo gauge if you did some type of turbo modification to it (manual/automatic boost controller.) It is useful to check turbo spikes and such..
  • varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    Last time I visited the dealership, the salesman said that they were not selling below MSRP. Granted, since I was not ready to buy a car that day, I did not enter into any heavy negotiating, so I don't know if that statement was all that firm. I know that Van Bortel's in NY and a dealer in Joplin MO are giving better deals. My question is has anyone gotten a good deal from their local dealer? In light of the soft economy, do you think that dealers may be more anxious to make a sale or is the WRX still too popular?
    Thanks
  • jcamp2jcamp2 Member Posts: 7
    The response - "a little of both" sums up my subjective experience. Throws are shorter and overall feeling is that it is more precise. I had test driven a WRX (one with more than a 1000 miles on it so 4000 rpm limit was not an issue) with the conventional shifter. On that basis I decided to get the short shifter installed before taking the car home from the dealer. So, no I didn't live with the standard setup prior to getting the short shifter. Also I doubt that shifts are really any quicker, just feels better.

By the way the drive home (from the dealer) was about 2000 miles - the drive was a pleasure and the seats were more comfortable than our 2000 Outback.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
    Car sales are down 70% since the WTC attack. No one is buying. You should be able to get a WRX for $500 over invoice now.
    I bought my wrx sedan at van bortel and saved about $2000. Well worth the 315 mile trip. My local dealer was selling it for sticker and wouldn't budge, even when i told him i was going to get the car at van bortel. After i purchased the car, i got a call from the local dealer again. I told him i had the car already and hung up. I don't know where you live, but world subaru in tinton falls, new jersey will sell it for about 23,500. Ask for marty garland. Their is another advantage to van bortel, as they do not require a deposit to order the car. you simply call up and place the order via telephone or e-mail. About a week before the car is scheduled to arrive, they call you. Great experience.
  • rex_ruthorrex_ruthor Member Posts: 140
    yah, I was torn on that too, until I found out the dealer wanted $995 for that option...that helped me make my mind up PDQ.

Having a boost gauge is cool, and definitely useful, especially to help you learn where your power is, helps you to find your optimal shift points and be faster. But, the problem with the Subaru option is that the gauge pack includes not just boost, but also Volts and Oil temp, two really useless readings from a performance perspective. I would much rather have oil Pressure and EGT....which are much earlier indicators of real trouble.

My recommendation, save the money and put it toward an aftermarket installation; you will be MUCH happier. The stock gauges are not only too small, but there is a known problem with the lighting level...they are much too dim. This is even a service bulletin now, although SOA has not released a fix.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Both demand and supply are affected by the WTC attacks. On the demand side, people aren't buying, except for a few that bought cars suddenly as an alternative to flying.

On the supply side, parts from Canada and crossing other borders were delayed, plus air freight was greatly affected, so much that many plants were closed temporarily. That means fewer cars being produced.

If you have a secure job, IMO it is a good time to buy a car.

-juice
  • bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    I haven't bought yet (and my internal debate between the joy of owning this car and the possible financial pitfalls is making me climb the walls) but I'll second the recommendation (or third or fourth, as I do this pretty regularly) for Marty. I contacted him in March via email, and he responded back almost immediately with a quote on the options I wanted. I went to see him in early April, and said right up front that I wasn't sure when I'd be ready to buy, but he had no hesitation about a test drive through some of the windy roads of the Colts Neck area of NJ. He drove the "out" leg to show what turns we'd be taking, etc, and when I drove back, I was consistently 10mph slower than he was as he knows those roads far better than I do. I've kept in touch through the summer regarding my status etc, and each time he's re-confirmed the price initially given, wished me well, and didn't put on any pressure about "I need to know when you'll be ready to make the deposit" etc.

Some time soon I'll be ready to order (the 3rd quarter ends this Friday and sometime in early October I'll be receiving whatever bonus my company is able to give me, and that will make a big impact on my decision process) and I will go to Marty G, as he has definitely earned the commission.

DjB
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Hey guys, sorry to be bearer of bad news, but my old beat up crappy XT6 with AT successfully beat all but 1 WRX in Gstock this past weekend for the 2nd straight event. Long live the XT6! :)

-mike

PS:Couldn't help but bring it up.
  • bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/09/24/travelcenter/wires/gas_prices_ap/

"But prospects for the continued falling pump prices would crumble immediately if crude oil supply, especially from the Middle East, were to appear threatened," she said.

very important word: "appear."

DjB

There would be a backlash if OPEC does too much to the prices.

But that's why none of the cars in my fleet get less than 21 mpg city - I don't want to make our dependence on oil any worse than it is now. That's one of the reasons, any how.

-juice
  • rex_ruthorrex_ruthor Member Posts: 140
    What mods do you have on your XT6?
    The only thing non-std are 205-55-14 V700 tires instead of 205-60-14 Street tires. In G-stock you can only modify to your vehicle: Exhaust, post cat, struts, and drop-in filter element (no changes to the plumbing) and tires (any tires that you can fit on the stock rim-size) which for the XT6 is 14x5.5

-mike
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    I hope you're talking about dirt roads or something. I've outrun XT6's in my old SE-R without any problem at all!
    The WRX design is based on Subaru's RALLY race car - it was not meant to race autoX, 1/4 miles, Formula 1 etc. It is meant to be a RALLY race car! What RALLY cars need is lots of higher RPM HP, fabulous traction and super stable handling over undulating surfaces - the WRX has all these in spades. Rally cars do not need gobs of low end torque since rally circuits rarely feature 10-15 mph, off boost, turns around orange cones in barren parking lots.

Put the XT6 in the WRX's arena, a bona fide rally circuit, and the blue cheetah will feast on XT6 for lunch!!
    It was on pavement. But, my point being that a tired 13year old car with 80K+ miles and an Automatic Tranny actually beat WRXs. How many WRXs do you know that are used off-road? I'd say less than 5% will be used off-road at any time in their lifetime. Does it bother you that the XT6 is faster or as fast @ auto-x? Seems like you are a bit bitter guys.... :)

-mike

PS: heard that the WRX is gonna be in the American Speedvision Touring Car series next year. Hope there aren't any tight turns off-boost for em! ;)
    paisan ,
    you are probably just the better driver that is all. Driver skill is probably the most important aspect with road racing / autox.

bruticus,
    I actually bought my car from Marty, it was a great experience. I was in the dealership for about 30 minutes to sign the papers. Can't have a greater buying experience than that. I also got it for 1200 under Msrp, and that was about 3 months ago. While other dealerships were charging msrp.
    delusion is the better part of grandeur! I have no doubt that your an excellant driver. Pit you against an excellant driver (one you may consider your equal) in an WRX and you won't be so cocky! :-)

Stephen

PS....go ahead and hedge your bet with a WRX wagon, no less!
    Lighten up! Can't yous take some joking? I'd never expect a car with 85hp less to even come close to WRX levels.

-mike
    Outrun XT6s? Plural? C'mon, they are so rare, I have only seen two in my life time. They were probably plain XTs or XT turbos.

I've driven along with paisan and the XT6 has very good low end torque, so it's right at home in tight turns. As a driver he's very comfortable at the limit, too. It may be old but it's not tired.

205/55s help because you effectively get shorter gearing. Again, better for tight courses.

-juice
    There are/were only 4000 XT6s produced, like juice said you probably saw an XT or XT turbo. The XT had 1.8l and the XT turbo had a 1.8 turbo which put out about 115hp.

-mike
  • wannawrxwannawrx Member Posts: 22
    They are not the most attractive cars around for sure. Some where between a TR7 and a door stop. By the way what is the HP on a XT6? I drove an SVX once and that thing moves. Too bad all the ones now have high mileage on them. Luxury and power.

Should be ordering my WRX soon. I hope.
    2.7l H6
    145hp
    156torque
    2650lbs
    best CD of drag in '88 of any production car
    Electric power steering pump (not belt driven)

My aunt has an SVX and that thing does move on the highway. It only has 68K miles so when se is ready to sell I'm buying hers.

The XT6 is really a nice car. The interior quality is far higher than the WRX (headliner, dash, door panels, carpet) but it was a $20K car in '88 which would be something in the $30K range now.

-mike
    Couldn't resist and took the bait! Seriously, I wish I was closer in distance. I'd love to see ya do your thang behind the wheel of your XT6 at one your rallys.

Stephen
    The XT was a pioneer in aerodynamics. It was really one of the first wedge shaped sports cars, and the first production car to break the .30 coefficient of drag (it was .29).

As usual for Subaru, form follows function. It's about the quirkiest car I've even been in, but that's what Subies are known for - loads of character.

Don't even get me started on the SVX. Talk about character and soul. I want one!

-juice
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Aw, come on juice, sure you don't want a BRAT now? I think I do.

I wish I had the SVX's upholstery in my Forester.

Ed
    Does anyone know of a modified svx like with a turbo? I can only imagine the potential for that car.
    I've heard of one. Low PSI only like 4psi. Nice thing is that it doesn't need upgraded computer, injectors, or intercooler. Supposedly it gives 60-100hp, which puts it in the 300hp range conservatively. With all that low end grunt, it would be a monster.

-mike
    BRATs have loads of character, too, they just address needs that I don't have.

-juice
    They too worry not to handsome and I know i would not want to be in the back in one of those bucket seats while four wheelin. I am sure now those are so illegal. Talk about an E ticket ride. yahoo!
    Brat wurst, LOL!

Many folks yanked the seats. I think they fulfilled a tax loophole.

-juice
  • qualityguyqualityguy Member Posts: 101
    Do 17 inch whels make the ride very hard?
This discussion has been closed.