Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• stuartboniastuartbonia Member Posts: 56
    Check post #26514 on the Real-World Trade-In Values Board.

The host gave me a retail value of $9,000 to $9,500 on my 98 SH.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    is very unrealistic for a '98. I have an '01 SH that the host on real world trade in values told me I could sell for mid $13K range.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ludecrazyludecrazy Member Posts: 3
    Yeah i agree with all of you about the 12,000 asking price. I talked with the seller today and he was flexible and willing to go lower. I think that he thought that it was just in such great condition that he would ask for alot more than its worth. Thanks for all of your help guys!
  • blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    I've had my 2001 Prelude for five years (38K miles) and the only problem I've had is that, in year 3, the rubber moulding around the windshield started to get a little loose and made a whistling sound at speeds over 70 mph. This was fixed under warranty at a dealership with no cost and no hassles.

That's it.

(Oh, and once the check engine light went on. I reset the fuse and it didn't happen again.)

Based on my experience, I highly recommend the reliability of the fifth-gen Prelude.
  • pointatobpointatob Member Posts: 30
    if you're interested in an unsolicited tire opinion, i had a pair of RE92s several years back on my 93 VTEC. most awful tires for cornering i've had on the car. every time i went around a corner with any speed (even 20 - 30 mph) the tires would squeal all the way through the intersection. people would look at me as though i must be doing 70 through the turn, which of course i wasn't.

for the last 2 years i've had a pair of Dunlop SP Sport 5000s on the prelude, which are fantastic. great tire for cornering, accelerating, and very hydroplane resistant from my experience. i fell in love with the handling of my car all over again once i put these shoes on!

my 2cents...
  • 5speedguy5speedguy Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

re 93 Prelude 4WS Si: I had the timing best changed and my Prelude is running smoothly. Took it to a local guy and I am very impressed--$737 and he even changed air conditioner belt among others. Question: I'm looking for a cold air intake for the '93, but can't find many choices. I DON'T want one that locates low and behind the bumper as I don't want to risk getting water into the beautiful engine. I want it located higher and have a good heat shield. As I'm new to Preludes, I am asking for any suggestions!
    I'm a little under 8,000 miles away from changing my timing belt (my '01 SH has about 52K right now).

I'm not too keane on engine mods, but the purpose of a Cold Air Intake is it's positioning low and behind the bumper. There is where the air comes in and is less affected by the engine's heat as compared to the stock air box. THat's why I've never put a CAI on my car because it floods a lot where I live.

There are a few things you can do: Instead of a Cold Air Intake, you can install a Short Ram Intake. It is the same principle, but positioned higher in the engine compartment. You can also install a Cold Air Intake with a Blow Off valve.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I waxed my car the other day. It really brought the shine back to my Milano Red '01 Prelude Type SH. I was shocked at the amount of dead paint lifted up on the wax applicator.

I'm leaning towards Apex World Sport as the cat back exhaust system for my car. Right now it really sounds awful.

I still love my Prelude and think we're going to keep it for a few more years. Maybe I can convince my wife that it would be cheaper for me to have a Jackson Racing Supercharger installed on my car than go and lease a new $35,000 325i:)

• notnilc64notnilc64 Member Posts: 8
    I often hear people mentioning their timing belt on this site, so I was wondering about mine. How would I go about checking mine? Are there any specific signs of wear that I should look for? I've got about 74,400 miles on my '99 Prelude, but I don't when or if it's been changed. Thanks for any help
    You have 74,400 miles now, how many were on the car when you bought it? Rule of thumb is to change the timing belt every 60K miles whether it needs it or not.

It had around 72,000 when I got it, so I've only put around 2000 miles on it myself. This is what I was wondering about. Since it's past 60,000, is there any surefire way I can tell if it's been changed or not?
    would be to take it to a mechanic or maybe find out the dealer who serviced the car and they could look it up.

• timothyawtimothyaw Member Posts: 148
    Hey the manual says to replace the timing belt and etc at 105k. or 7 years. I know the 60k rule for replacing the t-belt was for earlier honda's like my 80's Integra. Nothing wrong with replacing it at 60 but I think it's a little premature to do so. Even when I got the belt replaced on my integra, they said that I could go 90k before replacing again even though it was 60 for the car. The reason they told me that was that the belt they replaced it with was made to last for 90k.
    I'll have to double check the owner's manual like you said. Thanks for the heads up!

Hmm, my 99 manual says 60k, but thanks for both you guys help. I have nother question now though. My AC fan (I'm assuming it's the fan) rumbles when running. It seems to be coming from the the passenger's side, right behind the glovebox. Any ideas of what this could be or how I could go about checking it? Thanks again.
    The mechanic who recently replaced the timing belt on my '93 4WS Si said I'm "good to go for another 90,000 miles." I'm going by that!!
  • tak_rx8tak_rx8 Member Posts: 1
    Aside from timing belts...based on what everyone says, excellent car to drive whether its a 95 model up to a 2000, even with 100-200km on it? But even say a good condition 97 model would survive up here in cold Toronto in the winter? Any thoughts?
    I know the blower motor is located in that area...maybe something going on with that.
  • stuartboniastuartbonia Member Posts: 56
    "cold Toronto in the winter"

Mine did fine in Michigan winters. You may want to use snow tires in the winter. Also, you will be sitting at home with any big snowfalls. The car sits pretty low to the ground.
    Just picked up my car today from the dealer where I had an oil change (Castrol Syntec 5w 30) and a tire rotation done at a tick over 53,000 miles. Car always "feels" better with fresh oil. Maybe it is just me and I'm psychotic :shades:

I'm almost down to the wear bars on my crummy stock RE92s. They should get me through the fall. Around late November/Early December I'll switch to my snow tires & steel wheels. Next spring it will be time for some new shoes on my Prelude.

I ordered a new exhaust for my car. It is an Apex World Sport Exhaust. Full stainless Steel Cat back exhaust system. It should be coming in sometime this week and I can't wait to have it installed! SHould make the car sound better. My stock muffler is welded to an aftermarket pipe that was fabricated a few years ago when my car got damaged by driving over a steel plate covering an open manhold cover.

Hmm, yeah that's kind of what I was suspecting after reading around. I hope it's not something I would have to get replaced. I mean, it's not that big of a deal, just an annoyance, but I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap
  • cameloguecamelogue Member Posts: 6
    I sold my 98 standard Prelude with 86,000 miles. i hated to do it as I only owned it for 11 months and 3,000 miles. It was dark green and had the spoiler. Wonderful car. I am mourning its loss. I needed the money for tuition payments for my son. Hopefully I will be able to get another one in the future. Great car for speed, acceleration, handling. I paid $8,000 for it and sold it for $7,300. There was not much buyer interest in it. :cry: So long fellas, hopefully I will be back.
  • toanntoann Member Posts: 8
    I was driving my '99 Prelude yesterday and the check engine light came on. The car seems to be driving the same as it has been. What do I do now? Thanks for your help.
    Could be you didn't tighten the gas cap enough. Did you fill up yesterday? Either that or maybe an O2 sensor went bad. I believe Autozone will read the codes for free. You may have to bring the car in to get it checked out.

Tonight on my way home from work I noticed my car isn't driving right. Gas pedal is heavy. Car isn't willing to rev. Transmission gates were clunky. I think this all has to do with an exhaust leak. The last time I can remember the car driving like this is when the exhaust was severed from the cat back when I drove over a metal plate covering an open manhole. I hope that's the problem. Can anybody shed some light on the subject? My new exhaust should be in soon. I'll keep everybody posted.

MY car must have been driving like garbage because there mus be a hole in my exhaust system. It is driving like I have no backpressure. Took the wife's 200 Protege ES to work today and left my Prelude at home. This should all be fixed by tomorrow. My Apex World Sport exhaust systme came in. I dropped my car off at the shop doing the work and it should be sone by the time I get hom from work tomorrow. I can't wait!

Hi folks,

Changing the subject here: Does anyone know of some good sites that have parts performance/regular for older Preludes? I have a '93 4WS Si and I'm looking for some performance upgrades (brake pads, stainless lines etc). However, some sites don't carry "goodies" that go back to the early 90's. Not looking for turbos etc, just things to make me go/stop/handle just a little bit better. BTW, I'm on a budget (aren't we all) so I'd appreciate your ideas.
    It has been a rough and somewhat expensive week for my Prelude. I had the Apexi World Sport Cat Back Exhaust installed and it sounds great. Provides a bit quicker response off the line. HOwever my car really started to do some funky things. When pulling into a parking spot having to back in and out forward and reverse on and off the clutch, the car would start to shake while the clutch was fully depressed. Under hard acceleration, the car is giving me difficulty getting into 3rd & 4th gears. I have a feeling something is very wrong. Maybe I've burnt out the clutch after only 53K or maybe some of the transmission synchros went bad. I'll find out either tomorrow or Tuesday :cry:

WOW--I certainly hope this is NOT as serious as it sounds. Best wishes for a simple and inexpensive fix.
    :cry: all right. My car needs a new clutch and all the goodies that go along with it. Dealer wants to charge me $1600 for the job including parts and labor. That seems like an awful lot of money to me. I'm looking into an aftermarket centerforce clutch and sseing what they'll charge me just for labor and I'm going to call a few other places to see what they say. I'm really bummed. I'm hoping to keep this car for a few more years.

Oh wow. That is definitely not good news. Good luck with the aftermarket, hope it saves you some money. Keep us posted.
    on my '01 Prelude Type SH. I called the dealer back (who has my car and who has serviced it from day One) to see why his price was so high. Everybody and their mother told me they know this guy that does really good work and the reason it is so expensive is because it is the Honda dealer... I was able to speak to the service advisor who knows me and my car. He checked into it with a technician and whatever manual they have there and gave ma an explanation. NOt good news, but an explanation that doesn't make me feel as bad. The Clutch on a Prelude Type SH is much more expensive to replace than other Preludes or even other Hondas because of the ATTS unit. It must be removed and re-installed in order to replace the clutch. This process adds an extra 4 hours of labor hours to the job. I called another dealer to verify this. After he told me the price was $1000 (parts and labor, $600 less than my dealer told me), I reminded him I have a Prelude Type SH with ATTS. He toook another look in the book and said...WOW, then gave me his price. It was cheaper than my dealer, but I trust my dealer and he does good work.

I called my Service advisor and asked if they'll install an aftermarket clutch. I said I'd like to have an aftermarket clutch installed because I don't think the Honda clutch is up to the task of my everyday driving and I don't want to replace the clutch again in 2-3 years. He said they don't usually do aftermarket intallations, but that I'm a good customer and I have to use the Honda Flywheel. So I'm going with a Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch.

My Prelude willl be back Monday hopefully. For now I miss the sharp handling, slick shifting 5 -speed, low seating position, and my Sirius Sattellite Radio. I've been driving my sister's '00 VR6 Jetta (automatic) for a few days. Tomorrow They're going to give me a loaner car until my Poor Prelude is fixed.

• jennjtjennjt Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I have a 98 Prelude 118k miles. I had the clutch replaced a couple of weeks ago (very pricey) and now it doesn't seem to be running right. It seems sluggish and this morning when I drove to work the RPM's seemed unusually high. Does anyone know why this might be???
    oh I miss my Prelude sooooooooo much :cry: . The loaner car they gave me is an '05 Accord LX 4cyl. This thing better get some excellent fuel economy because as far as cars go, it is terrible. Acceleration is sluggish at best. Passing power is non-exsistant (My Prelude has no problem passing many cars in the left lane when I drop the hammer). The car is so isolated from the road. The suspension is floaty. My favorite thing about the car has to be the horn. This sucker is loud! I hope to have my car back Monday or Tuesday.

Did you get your Prelude back yet? I'm anxious to hear how the clutch repairs (and other work) have gone?
    Did a Honda dealer do the work? Did you use OEM parts? Just curious...
    Sorry I haven't posted in a few days, but I've had a lot of stuff going on. I picked up my car on Monday night. So good to be back in my Prelude. I've got to take it easy though. Break-in on a new clutch is 500 miles.

I'm very happy with the results. I should be, they cost me enough. Clutch takeup is now much smoother. Depressing feels lighter then stock. Clutch grabs much closer to the floor. I feel I'm driving much smoother now.

I had the Honda dealer do the work. Once I found out the ATTS unit had to be taken out and re-installed, I knew I couldn't bring it to just anybody.

I used a Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch which came with a pressure place and disc. Honda dealer said I had to use a Honda Flywheel and Throwout Bearing.

Whne they had my transmission out of the car (a scary thought), they notcied the Rear Main Seal was leaking transmission fluid. They replaced the seal.

Due to the fact that my new clutch requires a break-in, I can't tell how well the exhaust performs under full throttle. I love the lw sound it has.

• bobg92bobg92 Member Posts: 3
    hi all,

i'm looking at a 1992 prelude this afternoon for possible purchase. does anyone the recommended interval for changing the timing belt on a 2.3l engine?
    HOw many miles are on the car? Is it an Si, or 4WS? Stick or Automatic? What color?

I'm not sure about the H23A motor, maybe 60K intervals, but my '01 H22A has 90K timing Belt change intervals.

i decided not to go for this car. too much rust, especially around windshield it actually rusted through. too many things rigged. bad signs. maybe another one. anyone know of a decent prelude for reasonable in the nyc area?
    Glad to hear you're back on the road, altho' at a slower pace for a while. Let us know about this clutch setup AFTER the break-in period. Ditto with the exhaust.
    hi all...

i live in the nyc area and am in the market for a prelude 1992-1996. i've seen some high mileage vehicles on ebay and am wondering about what you all have to say about a 1992-1996 prelude with mileage between 150,000 and 200,000. of course, i already understand that it comes down to maintenance. assuming that a vehicle has been well maintained, can one expect a prelude of this vintage and mileage to hold up over time as daily transportation? thanks.

Bob
    Hi:

I bought my 5 speed '93 4WS Si for $3900 this summer. It had 129,000miles but it looked and ran beautifully. I replaced the timing belt, water pump and all the other required changes that go along with the new TB. Mechanic said I'm good for another 90,000 and ,unless I win the lottery, I'll probably still have it.

I've recently changed the oil, using Castrol Syntec, and I added a drop in K & N air filter. Although I anticipate getting some new brake pads shortly, all else seems to be running quite well. In short, I'm pleased.
  • olderludeolderlude Member Posts: 2
    just recently I had my 1988 prelude's check engine light go on and the speedometer and odometer are no longer working. The check engine light only comes on after the engine has warmed up. I replaced the battery and alternator 8 months ago, so the only thing that comes to mind is the O2 sensor. any one out there that may have an idea I can try before I take it to the shop? Also any ideas about the speedometer and odometer?

Thanks olderLUDE.
  • olderludeolderlude Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention that this is 2.o si 4WS with 168,000 miles. thanks again
  • feuerengel00feuerengel00 Member Posts: 1
    I just want to post a quick message, I had a Black 1994 Stock Prelude Si and that thing ran AWESOME!!It had 102k miles and that car was so cool. I did nothing to the engine, but I had silver flame vinyls put on the sides, green underbody LED lights, and an awesome system with Audiobahns...that car was great...just thought I would get my word out..later
    My Car hit 60,000 miles on the way home from work tonight! I'm still lovin' my '01 Prelude Type SH and plan to keep it for at least a few more years! Happy New Year to everyone!

Only going to keep it a few more years? You're actually going to RETIRE the Prelude lol? I saw you on the TSX boards is that going to be your replacement? Or a BMW? Curious minds want to know...
    You keeping track of me? LOL! :blush: I was actually thinking along the lines (probing questions) of the TSX to replace my wife's 2000 Protege ES, but she drives exacty 3 miles a day to and from the train station 5 days a week and we like the payments on her car (ZERO), so we're going to stick with it for a while. Her car is going to have to be replaced before mine. Ideally a TSX or maybe a 325iA.

I love my Prelude. I love driving it so much that we take it everywhere. Besides my 40 mile per day round trip commute (6 days per week), we almost ALWAYS take my car when we go out on the weekends or on road trips...

If I get her something that I enjoy driving (the Protege ain't bad, but it is no Prelude), then I'll cut down on my Prelude mileage and extend it's life.

I made up my mind a long time ago that my next car after the Prelude (I can't say replacement) will definitely have a blue and white roundel on the hood (BMW). BMWs are truly magical cars. They are amazing to drive.

I can't blame you there, zero car payments are nice! It sounds like she likes the TSX, but you are just waiting since it's not a necessity at this time. Even though the TSX doesn't have the handling of the Prelude, it's close enough to suffice. Definitely better than the mazda you have now. Your ideal situation I'm sure would be to have the TSX, the prelude and your BMW!! That way you can have your daily drivers and the BMW would replace your special occasions ride, N I C E!!!