Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

1153154155156157159»

Comments

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Sounds like the idle air control valve to me. If so may just need a good cleaning.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • aa0526aa0526 Member Posts: 29
    I had that same error codes way back.

Initially - they thought it was the O2 sensor. The MPV has two ... one before the catalytic converter - and one after it. Combined, they cost about <$200.00.

However, further testing and pleading from me showed something else instead.

The MAF - mass air flow sensor was dirty. We thought it needed replacement - which was not too expensive. The tech guy simply cleaned it and the error codes never came back.

About 15-20K miles later, slightly same error codes came back ---
    1. The EGR - hose / valve (made of rubber or PVC) was in need of replacement (again). It was initially replaced at 35K due to a recall. It was again worn out - the part was about <$70 but the labor was relatively high.Check the Mazda MPV recall history on this one. I am might be wrong about the exact name.

2. The MAF needed replacement. I cleaned it on more than one occasion but at 120K mileage - I think it was beyond its useful life - so I replaced it.

The problem has not come back since - am now at 132K.

I did notice that all these problems crop up during the cold winter months ...
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Yep, that issue sounds just like what our '02 is currently doing...although not today. I am now expecting the mechanic to find the PCV hose ruptured. Guess if that's the case, it lasted 5 years (or about 50k miles) in our case.

-Brian
  • tcc21tcc21 Member Posts: 69
    I have had that happen when it rains heavy or I drive in a rain storm. The front spark plug wire get's water seaping into it and the light comes on and it bucks real bad. After a day, it dries out and all fine. I know I could replace that cap/wire but it's not cheap. Those other replies are all similar to what I have otherwise although I didn't experience rough running with the catalytic mess or other items. Just the moisture problem. Been doing it since it was new too.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I've had code P0171 a couple times, it has always turned out to be the Mass Air Flow sensor. There are a couple fine spring looking coils in the MAF that need to get sprayed with "mass air flow sensor cleaner".

The MAF is just downstream of the air filter. It can get lint and so forth from a new air cleaner.

But, your rough idle could also be due to the PVC hose collapsing and cracking (which creates a vacuum leak, and a lean condition). That hose can be about a $100 item...I've had to do mine twice in 88k miles, once as a dealer recall, once on my own wallet.

John
    anyone attempt to change these? I've got an '03 with 88,000, it threw a code misfire P0301 (misfire cylinder one) last week and is not running as smooth as normal. I'm guessing it's due for an early spark plug/plug boot replacement.

What plugs are you using? Rock Auto shows a bunch of options, looks like Bosch has an expensive Iridium replacement, super long life, etc...

John
    Could be the coil. I've read the best plug for the MPV is the OEM plug, Motorcraft or the NKG plug. Too bad on the 301 code, that's a hard one to get to.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    thanks for the reply...and thanks also to this board, I spent a couple hours on the MPVclub web site and read all about how to get at the coils. It actually sounds less daunting than I originally thought...I'll pick up 3 coils (for the back), and 6 plugs, and call it good for now.

Also might be rain related, it misfired and flashed the code last week during a big rain storm. As I learned, apparently the back coil packs can get wet. It's running fine again now that it has dried out.

John
    Glad to hear the MPV is running better. I had a front coil run rough when I ran over a large water puddle on the expressway. The second bad coil... had been raining for a few days. Both were covered under warranty. I've read some people say that their van ran fine again after drying out. How long did you have to air your MPV out?
    the misfire wasn't consistent from the get go, it threw the code and seemed to run ok after that, but not smooth.

I made a mistake about 5 years ago, hosed all the dust out of the engine compartment, and lost a coil in the back. That clean engine cost me about $400 I believe. Yikes. It's generally a bad design, I read that the OEM coils have a snorkel out the top for sucking in water...

John
  • butchsanbutchsan Member Posts: 3
    When applying brakes at 50 :MPH or higher get hard chatter. Service man thinks its warped rotors., but at lower speeds no chatter or pulsing of brake pedal. Suspect ABS
    problem . ;/anyone ;have any ideas?
    Thanx Butchsan
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    If it was the ABS, you'd hear it making it's racket as it applies the brakes a zillion times. Warped rotors often can be felt easier at highway speeds.

-Brian
    Yep. They are a poor design. I have the problem a couple times a year when I run into a strong rain storm...sometimes, when the vehicle just sits in heavy rain it will happen too. For me, it dries out in a day or so and all is fine again. I'm not ready to dump more money into this 2003 crate along with the new Catalytic converter message that keeps coming up every couple months! Poor design - mechanically. Nice looking vehicle for it's time. (Worse than that, there is no inside light over-ride - to shut them off if you leave a door open....they do shut off after 5 minutes - but that's a pain sometimes too!) One more thing - 2003 - no power door lock button on the passenger door. What the heck were they thinking on that one!! 2004, it was added back..dah!
  • pelletpellet Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where i can get a free repair manuel,diagram of serpentine belt,and remove and install neew alternator? I cant seem to find anything for mazda free online, thanx
  • trx9805trx9805 Member Posts: 1
    We have a Mazda MPV 2000 with about 113,000 miles. For the past couple of years, we hear clicking noise from the front end. We have had the brakes, shocks and struts replaced but the noise keeps coming back. We live in the Chicago area, and during the winter, it seems that the noise was gone - we were relieved. Yesterday, as the weather is warming up, we started to hear it again.

Did anybody experience something like this?
    edited March 2010
    Did anybody experience something like this?

As a matter of fact, I'm currently experiencing the same thing on my 2004. Sounds like the sway bar links. Should be noticeable when turning while going over bumps, or just going over speed bumps etc, sometimes felt thru the steering wheel. There are 2 sway bar links, each attached to a front end tire. They are about $40-$50 a piece. My Mazda dealership quoted me a price of $276 just last week. It is not dangerous to drive on it I am told.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's hit or miss.

Online Repair Manuals

I have the best luck with the online repair manual through my public library.

Steve, visiting host
    Probably more miss with the MPV.
  • aa0526aa0526 Member Posts: 29
    Mine is a 2002 with 135K.
    Yes - I do have a clicking noise too ... over humps and certain road conditions.
    Otherwise, there is no serious driving concerns.
    I tried going under - and everything seems fine.
    No issues on braking nor turning.
    edited March 2010
    I did find this (my library has the Auto Repair Reference Center):

2.5L Engine

Install or connect the following:
    Alternator. Tighten the bolts to 29&#150;41 ft. lbs. (40&#150;50 Nm).
    Center shaft support bracket. Tighten the bolts to 32&#150;45 ft. lbs. (43&#150;61 Nm).
    Alternator harness connectors. Tighten the battery terminal nut to 87&#150;130 inch lbs. (10&#150;15 Nm).
    Right axle halfshaft and center shaft assembly
    Exhaust front pipe
    Subframe transverse section. Tighten the bolts to 69&#150;96 ft. lbs. (94&#150;131 Nm).
    Accessory drive belt
    Negative battery cable

3.0L Engine

Install or connect the following:
    Alternator
    Alternator harness connectors. Tighten the battery terminal nut to 44&#150;60 inch lbs. (5&#150;7 Nm).
    Power steering pulley. Tighten the nut to 29&#150;43 ft. lbs. (40&#150;58 Nm).
    Accessory drive belts. Tighten the alternator lockbolt to 14&#150;18 ft. lbs. (19&#150;25 Nm) and the pivot bolt to 28&#150;38 ft. lbs. (38&#150;51 Nm).
    Negative battery cable

I don't see a pic for the 2.5. Try this for the 3.0 V-belt routing:

Mazda MPV V-belt
  • sramamur1sramamur1 Member Posts: 21
    Sorry for cross-sposting.

Hello Everyone;

This is a great forum and I have been able to get very valuable tips on our Mazda 2003 MPV in the past. Now we have a weird problem:

Whenever the parking break is engaged, the "parking break" sign lights up on the dashboard. In addition, the "door open" sign also lights up on the dashboard and all the interior lights are on (even with all the doors closed!!). When the parking break is disengaged, the "parking break" and the "door open" signs go off in the dashboard and the interior light turn off as well.

Looks like there is a short somewhere in the system. Can someone please help me about the possible causes?

Thanks,

Sri.
    That does sound like a short. I have a 2003 MPV and I HATE the auto doors I have on it. They are more of a nuisance then a handy thing to have. They freeze up in the winter. Get stuck halfway sometimes and don't close/shut off lights sometimes too. I've got 150K miles on her now and am holding my breath. I would like to get 2 more years out of her since I don't put on that many miles anymore. Good luck. These things are notorious for many issues. I have not heard of yours before. My issue is the Check Eng. light coming on due to a malfunctioning sensor related to the converter. Eng. runs fine, so I just let the stupid light stay on. Not worth 1200 dollars to fix!
  • myraven17myraven17 Member Posts: 1
    The bearings in the wheel hub is bad, you can purchase one for about $40 and have it pressed in and you should be ok after that.
  • buzzkbuzzk Member Posts: 15
    I'd guess by now the problem is fixed; if not, a worn C-V joint might make a similar sound - usually when turning - more than going straight. The notion of the source being loose sway bar bushings, particularly if associated with hitting bumps, is reasonable. I have a somewhat similar sound in one of my sedans that does apper to be caused by loose sway bar bushings.

Cheers, BK
    I have a 2003 with 160K on her. I've had the check eng. light on issue many times. I use to get it cleared just to be sure there wasn't a new issue but it usually is the "bank 1 misfire - cold startup" issue or the catalytic converter issue.
    The front end also was replaced under extended warranty around 95K miles. It was a worn tie rod issue. Yes, you do hold your breath with these things! I also would like to hang onto mine two more years. We'll see.
  • mpv2005mpv2005 Member Posts: 1
    The Check Engine light on my 2005 MPV with 89K miles, has been coming on. I'm getting either P2187 (System too lean at idle bank 1) or P2189 (System too lean at idle bank 2) codes.

I removed the MAFS and sprayed it with electronic contact cleaner, but that did not resolve it.

The CE light sometimes turns off by itself, and it is more likely to come back on when the weather is wet. That leads me to think there may be a bad contact somewhere, but if its not the MAFS, what can it be?

The engine runs fine; idling, cold-start, acceleration, etc are fine.

I'm looking for suggestions on what can be causing the codes before I go to the dealer. Thanks!
    Oxygen sensors and IAC valve have been known to be problematic in the MPV.

CE light in wet weather usually means ignition coils. But, you say van runs fine. :confuse:
  • glbrightglbright Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    Any old model MPV owners still hanging around this discussion. My 1993 Mazda MPV 4WD just turned 240000 miles and is a daily driver. Lots of issues over the years, but I've always felt is was a keeper. Nothing like it since. And its looks are so unique. Here pictured next to our 2003 Mazda Tribute
    Still looks good!