Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    c_hunter: I haven't sat in a new Accord, but from pictures it looks fairly impressive. I don't have any complaints about the WRX's ergonomics, per se, but rather with quality of the materials (subpar) and the styling of the design (stodgy and antiquated). To cite but one example: the center armrest/console. It's functional, but it looks and feels very cheap. Pushing on the armrest laterally, you can easily rock the entire console. But, you're right, it's certainly not distracting in an annoying sort of way. And the gauge cluster is fairly good.

bluesubie: Yes, it's a subcompact, and it may very well be an improvement, but it's still lacking, IMHO. It's probably unfair to focus on this too much, considering the driving dynamics are clearly what this car is about.
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    Subaru generally has a better reputation than either BMW or Audi for reliability. With this being said, you are talking about a 2002 or used 2003 WRX vs. a late 90s A4 or a mid 90s M3.

If you buy the M3, chances are you will have to put money into the car right off the bat due to age. I do not think you can get a certified used M3 for under $20K. If you can, it is a completely different scenario since they usually give you a warrentee with the vehicle.

One other comment. There have been complaints about the flimsiness of the BMW center-console. FYI.

If you buy the A4, there is a chance of needing to put money in the car rather soon.

IMHO.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Agree with you about the A4 and M3. Both will cost more upkeep than the WRX will. Subarus tend to be more reliable than German cars do, sometimes by a long shot.

As far as interior materials, I guess I am just spoiled. I think the Impreza lineup, in general, looks a bit chintzy inside. They spent all the money on mechanicals though, so that's a good thing.
  • pheonixunopheonixuno Member Posts: 15
    So you guys don't think a a4 with mods or anything like that will really touch a WRX?
    But was looking for the most fun vehicle for the money that was reliable and practicle. The WRX fit the bill, and in the end had what I needed - a comfortable front seat, great stereo, and good handling.
    In terms of performance, you can do a great deal to an A4, specifically, the <=2002 S4s.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I guess one thing to keep in mind is that if you could stretch your budget a little, you could get a new 03 WRX (they are going for $500-1000 under invoice), and I would choose that over a used BMW or Audi. No question the M3 is an awesome car, however. I'm not too keen on the Audi -- I know several people who have owned them, and they were unreliable money pits.

I think you need to drive all three cars, and go with what feels right to you. They are different types and classes of cars, each with unique traits. Also, how do you picture yourself driving each car, say 4 years down the road? Will you outgrow the WRX? Will you grow into the M3?

Craig
  • cinosweivecinosweive Member Posts: 166
    MHO - My first impression of the interior was that it seemed pretty cheap. I agree, the silver plastic looks stupid. Ergonomics, however, are spectacular. Everything is easy to reach and control w/out taking your eyes off of the road. The displays couldn't possibly be easier to read. I came from a car w/ a nicer interior, but I don't miss it a bit. I guess the adage "you don't admire the mantle when you're poking at the coals" applies to many things in life. The Audi does have a plusher interior but $15K plusher?

I just wish they would throw some lumbar support into the seats.
    The new Accord definitely has a good looking interior, but the quality and fit/finish of Accords has gone downhill in recent years. I think the quality and fit/finish of WRX materials is fairly typical of Japanese-made cars these days (as opposed to American-made Japanese cars), and it's good. In fact, I see a noticeable difference between the materials and fit/finish on my Japanese-made WRX and my American-made Outback. Just like I saw a difference between my Japanese-made Prelude and my parent's American-made Accord.

I guess styling is subjective. I like the interior of the WRX a lot. But then again, I also like the interior of the Outback, and numerous car magazines have called it bland and 90s-styled. I guess I appreciate interiors that are functional, easy on the eyes, and that get out of the way. The WRX does that for me. Contrast it to dashes of Pontiacs (way too busy and freaky), Nissan 350Z (inside of a super-hero's spaceship?), and the Saturn Ion (busy, ugly, non-ergonomic), and you might see why I feel like the WRX is a safe bet. It may not be a work of art like the Accord, but it gets the job done and is not offensive!

Craig
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    has improve considerably. I say this cause, I made a side by side comparison between my '99 OBS and the '03 WRX, both Impreza. The painted panel, well, I don't pay attention to it to bother me. At least until it scratches ;-)
    I have a suggestion for improvement on the buttons and switches - using brill (sp), those use by the blind. No, not for blind drivers. It will allow the driver to feel the controls without taking their eyes off the road.

-Dave
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Braille? Wouldn't do someone wearing gloves much good.
    Doh! forgot 'bout those who do wear gloves.
    Oh well, was a good thought while it lasted. :D

-Dave
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    I agree that the WRX is about driving and not about the interior, but that can only go so far in the market. With the increased competition in the AWD arena, Subaru had better be on their toes and keep the improvements coming, and that includes improving the interior, lest they find themselves in the situation they were in back in the early 90s.

Let's see more refined interiors, 5 speed automatic, H6 across the Legacy line, a boosting of power and fuel economy in the standard 2.5L, a top-of-the-line Legacy that's actually worth the asking price, improved low-end response for the WRX...

It seems that Subaru has got the message, the improvements to the 2004 WRX are exactly that--improvements. Hopefully they can keep the ball rolling.

-B
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    It really does come down to longevity, I think. You are comparing 2 older cars with higher miles to a much newer WRX. Yeah, you will get a few more creature comforts in the higher-end imports, but how much will that matter to you 3 years from now when you are worried about taking your 100K mile plus car on a road trip? Instead, in 3 years, you could be driving an AWD subaru that is still barely broken in.

Aside from that, I found both those cars to be much more cramped than the ReX. Forget about anybody sitting behind you in the A4 if you are over 6'.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I know what you mean. I have a Jetta, and will definitely be buying an extended service agreement on it when the factory warranty runs out. Labor is too high, as is the cost of parts, to have to pay for it out of pocket and out of warranty if it breaks. My luck, the car will be perfect until the day I either trade it in or it dies...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Keep in mind a lot of S4 owners traded in for new WRXs because of aggravation with problems they had.

If you buy a used S4, you might be getting one of those examples. Just be ready to deal with more repairs and higher running costs.

Luxury car, luxury price for parts and service. New or used doesn't matter.

-juice
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Is it possible to rent a WRX? Or is that a stupid question? I'd love to drive one around for a day or two before I buy.
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    According to Subaru's website:
    Hertz -- airports in the northern half of the US
    Dollar -- Seattle and Portland, WA
    Budget -- northern NJ
    Avis -- Chicago area
  • riptideriptide Member Posts: 12
    I'm looking to purchase a new car soon, and WRX is one of the models I'm considering. So I test-drove one (a 2003 model) a couple weeks ago. Overall, I liked the car, except for the brake feel. The car stopped fine, but the pedal travel seemed a bit long, and, while the car was stopped (and running), I could actually push the brake pedal all the way to the floor (which I found to be a bit unnerving.) Salesman's response? "All cars with antilock brakes do that." (ha ha -- of course, I did go to what is allegedly the worst Subaru dealership in Bay Area (Stevens Creek Subaru), so what do I expect?) So my question is: can you push the brake pedal all the way to the floor in your WRX, when it's stopped? Basically, I'm just trying to figure out if this behaviour is common to WRXs, or whether there was a problem with the particular car I drove...
  • robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    try another car on the lot? those brakes may need bleeding.

I'm not a WRX owner, but my 2002 CRV's brakes engage much further into the pedal travel than my 1996 Altima. I get used to it after the first or second stop after switching cars :)
    Yeah maybe during the week I'm gonna test drive one. Plus the 2004 is going to have a moonroof option right? Also the idea of having a brand new car with warranty is really appealing.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    corkfish - I met a guy from PA that got to drive his WRX around for the weekend before he committed to the deal. Don't know if that would fly in CT though. My dealer in Flemington NJ throws you the keys and lets you go whereever you want. I think I test drove 4 sedans and two wagons before I purchased. :-)

riptide - My WRX doesn't do that. Maybe it was out of adjustment or low on fluid???? Subaru's do use dual-stage boosters though.

-Dennis
    I know what you mean about different brake feels. I will hit the brakes as hard as I have to hit them to stop my friend's '94 Cougar when I get back into my car sometimes (02 Jetta). It almost stands the car on its nose. :)
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Where in CT? The WRX is not the same car as the others, but it's a great toy.

Expect the dealers to try for MSRP on the '04 when it arrives, they'll take up to $1000 under invoice on in-stock 2003's, and there are a couple of used 2002's around for under $20K.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Throw in some SS lines and you are good to go.

-mike
    Poked fun at the lack of low-end grunt of the WRX on their show today. Bring on the 2.5L Subaru, tehe.

-B
    I live in Prospect near Waterbury. Any recommendations for subaru dealers in Connecticut.
    Near you I like both Chase Parkway and Quality. You'll find the conveyance fee at Crabtree setting a new record for Connecticut, so watch out for it if you give them a try. Perkins in Milford needs to move inventory and they have a responsive Business Development Center, you can send them an email for a quote, and they may accept a low offer if the car's in stock.

I'm wrapping up business in Stamford, if you need numbers send me an email and I'll make up a quote for you based on something we have if the other dealers check it out. I know it's too much of a drive, you should get someone closer to home to match it.
    If low-end grunt is a problem, then there are a ton of cars they have issues with (also the S2000).

Let me guess. Their favorite car is a Mustang GT, Corvette, and a Viper???!!!

Bet they are crying in the fact that the Camaro and Trans Am are no longer with us.
    They dislike performance cars. Actually went on to talk about how they had a problem with the WRX ad showing the kids turning down the radio to drive the WRX through the twisties, and then all the hate mail they got, tehe.

I tend to agree with them about the lack of low-end grunt, hence the 2.5L turbo comment. Drove around in a 5-speed Forester this weekend, amazed with the fact you can leave it in second coming out of slow turns. Too bad it starts slowing down about 3K.

-B
    I remember hearing their comments on the WRX a couple of years ago -- they seemed to think it was overpowered and too fast. My feeling is -- at least the car has AWD! I wish I could have called in and asked how they view non-AWD cars with similar or greater HP! (which is probably over 90% of what's out there).

I don't really see the lack of low end grunt -- it's just just that the high-rpm pull is so much more! Since I am breaking in my WRX, I spend a lot of time below 4000, and the car drives fine to me.

The normally aspirated 2.5 definitely has more at the low end, but it really runs out of steam past about 4500-5000 rpm. A turbocharged 2.5 ought to be the best of both worlds.

Craig
    I wonder if these guys complained about BMW's new ad which basically advocates racing. It shows a guy in a BMW flooring it when a he sees a car approaching in his rear view mirror. Also, as far as Connecticut dealers, there are a couple which will install and warranty certain modifications like the UTEC. I think Stamford will do that.
    Stamford will modify a WRX, they have one already rigged for sale. Better hurry, they're closing at the end of the month, I saw they've reduced prices on performance parts.
    Hey Ray,
    What performance parts are up for sale?
    e-mail me

Thanks

-Dave
    Not my department. Too close to spamming anyway, Edmunds frowns on it. Try the website, and email parts. Let me know if there's a problem.
    Haa that modified car is funny. 2 years ago at a TSD Rally one of the sales guy (i think) had a blue one there and my uncle who used to race in sicily was having an interesting exchange with the sales guy in the WRX, eventually we lost him cause the guy couldn't handl the turn we pulled. Boy was he mad when his modified WRX was out-handled by a 12 year old slushbox XT6 :)

-mike
    Just don't pull up next to him at a stoplight. Whats' the XT6 good for? 0 to 60 in close to 9 seconds isn't it?
    0-60 in 8.X same number as a 1st gen 2.5RS. :) But if I wanted a dragster I'd buy a muscle car, not a WRX :)

-mike
  • lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    I'm with paisan....the WRX is NOT a drag racer..its a road car set up differently for a reason.

I'm reminded of Subiegals motto...."any fool can go fast in a straight line"

OK...my .02
    Whats your source for 8 seconds? All I've seen is 9.2. Along with 7.3 for the SVX (8.5 for the auto). I wouldn't want a muscle car, but I'd like to have something that accelerates a little better than a toyota tercel ( even if it did out handle everything else on the road)
    It's been a while since I looked over em. In '88 though those weren't bad #s. Trying to compare an '02 to an '88... Different eras completely.

The SVX only came in Auto, so I'm not sure where the 7.3# came from.

In a race situation, you are already rolling so the 0-60#s are not significant at all.

-mike
    Exactly what I was thinking about a turbo 2.5L. :)

Bah, forget an old XT6 beating people, you should see their reaction when a 1981 Omni beats an E46 M3 on a fairly fast course. Talk about red faces!

-B
    Love that! :) I used to get all kinds of hooting and hollaring with my 4EAT XT6 at auto-x. Last year at LRP a guy with a Super Charged Integra GSR was soooo mad that I was able to stick on his butt through the corners :)

-mike
  • bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    Oberon.

On Saturday (3/8/03) at about 12:30pm I turned the key for the very first time on my very own [well, mostly still SoA's ;-)] 2003 WRX, Sedan/blue/5MT.

I'm still in shock about this. Many of you were around when I first appeared here asking questions etc, and some took time to offer advice and even correspond directly with me. I appreciate all your help and advice.

I was planning to include a strong recommendation for the dealer I went through, as he was very patient with me through the whole process. However, there are a couple of issues I need to bring up and resolve (when their service techs installed the upgraded speakers they forgot to re-attach the door-handle trim rings on the rear doors, and it seems like my radio's aerial isn't hooked up as I can't get any radio reception); how that goes will determine what I say.

DjB
    That Radar Love ad was nothing.

BMW had an ad for their roadster where it started to rain and the driver speed up substantially to keep rain out of the cabin. This on curvy Highway 1 in Cali, where one slip means you slide off a cliff into the ocean, basically.

Why pick on the WRX? There are far better examples to pick on.

-juice
  • robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    the BMW guy was sufficiently old to drive irresponsibly on a TV commercial...and he didn't have the radio on :)
    Oh, thanks for clearing that up! ;-)

-juice
  • bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    As part of my plan to turn my Neon over to my sister, whose name is Monica but her nickname "Momo," somebody pointed out that if I could get a MOMO banner or sticker or something to put on the Neon when we reveal it to her as her 16th-birthday-present, it'd REALLY floor her.

Anybody know a good resource to get this kind of material?

TIA

ps: as I expected, my purchase of an AWD car appears to have put an end to winter here in the north east. I hope you all realize the debt you owe me. For those who (shudder) like winter, I must share some of the blame with the Canadians, who are hoarding their remaining cold air for some twisted reason.

DjB
    Oberon, interesting name. :)
    Would the be he, or she?

-Dave
    Hit a speed shop, are there any near you? They always sell stickers that would do the trick.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.