Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia vs Chevy Suburban, Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon XL

124»

Comments

• gilbeygilbey Member Posts: 3
    I now have a 2000 Yukon. It has given me generally good service, but I’m about ready to replace it. The choice is between another Yukon (or Tahoe) and a Sequoia. (I'm looking at the 2011 models.) I drive 90-95% on highways, with the rest on dirt roads that are often washboarded, full of rocks, or with rough wash crossings. Both vehicles would do fine, I know, but does either one cushion the ride on bad roads? Any other reasons for choosing one over the other? Thanks.
  • 774774 Member Posts: 101
    When you say your Yukon gave you generally good service what do you mean?
    I owned a 2001 Sequoia until Sept of 2009 and it had 98,000 when I sold it to a private party.The vehicle gave me excellent service with only two problems during this 8 year period.

The front rotars were replaced at Toyotas expense including new brake pads around 22,000 miles.(Free Brake Job)

The rear window motor was replaced by Toyota as it stopped working.

I now own a 2010 Sequoia SR5 4 wheel drive model that has 12,000 miles on it. The vehicle has been perfect and is just a pleasure to drive.

I have owned several GM vehicles over the years and they dont come close to the quality of Toyota.

General Motors can not be trusted. Goverment Motors literally STOLE money from secured bond holders. I know people who had these secured bonds which are now almost worthless. How can you trust a company that is invloved in this kind of theft??
  • gilbeygilbey Member Posts: 3
    Thank you Steve. You make a good point about GM, and your experience with the Sequoia pushes me strongly in that direction.
    edited August 2011
    First it was the secured bondholders who lost most if not all of thier investment.
    Now the owners of gm vehicles may lose thier warranties in a new move by Government Motors

My Sequoia has been perfect not one problem in 18,000 miles.

http://www.conservativerefocus.com/blog5.php/2011/08/19/general-motors-refuses-t- - o-honor-pre-bankruptcy-warranties-in-court-case-states
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Actually, it doesn't say they will lose their warranties..

GM states that they have no other obligations, than the expressed written warranty..

In other words, if after the warranty ends, workmanship or product failure is discovered, they have no obligation.. Legally, they are probably smart to make that claim.

However, the "new" GM has continued to extend warranties and make goodwill repairs, just as they have in the past... they just aren't going to assume a legal liability to do so. I believe that isn't any different from what the "old" GM would have done.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited August 2011
    Does this mean GM will fix the 400,000 2007 and 2008 Chevolets with the suspension problem listed in the article. Why is this in court if GM is fixing the the problem?
    If GM is refusing to fix the 400,000 vehicles as it appears to be in the article
    how is this honoring the warranty

It appears the idea to fix a problem does not have the same meaning as repair a problem to gm. The problem will not be fixed just repaired so the problem most likely will continue in the future.

This is why I stay with Toyota they fix a problem that does not continue into the future

Why has there not been a recall on these vehicles?

If Toyota had this suspension problem on 400,000 vehicles do you think the Federal Government would do nothing.
    If GM is refusing to fix the 400,000 vehicles as it appears to be in the article
    how is this honoring the warranty

I'm assuming that those cars all had a 3yr/36K warranty.. If any of them are still under warranty, then I would also assume that GM will fix them.

It is now August, 2011

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I am assuming the cars in question are under waranty and have standing in court as the matter is being litigated.

I would not assume that gm will fix the vehicles unless they are forced to do so by court order that they may very well appeal to stall fixing the vehicles.

I have no confidence in gm based opon past actions with the secured bond holders who should of been paid first before the union or the new gm.
    They are not under warranty....

I don't have any special knowledge of this case. I only read the link you provided. Your initial post stated GM wasn't honoring the warranties, and the story does not support that assertion.

Here is one quote from the article: "New GM's warranty obligations for vehicles sold by Old GM are limited to the express terms and conditions in the Old GM written warranties on a going-forward basis," wrote Benjamin Jeffers, a lawyer for GM.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Not to split hairs but my intial post was owners ( may ) lose thier warranties not that they have lost thier warranties

The matter is being litigated over this very issue. The new gm does not want to be resposible for the warranties of the old gm.

In any event you have been a good host

Best Reguards 774
This discussion has been closed.