Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• mottsmotts Member Posts: 9
    Hello everyone, I have a 92 Prelude 2.3 DOHC SR model. The ABS light comes on once in awhile. When I apply the brakes and slow down to around 5 to 10 miles an hour the brake pedal pulses with a clicking noise from under the hood even though the road conditions are dry. This situation happens when there is no ABS light on the dash. Anyone have this problem? I've had the car around 3 years and other than tires, brakes, timing belt, it has been a great car. I purchased it with 150,000 klms. It now has 240,000 klms and runs great. Any info would be great, Motts :shades:
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Actually, the handling of the Mazda isn't what bothers me. It is very light (lighter than the Prelude), gets great gas mileage, but just has absolutely ZERO when it comes to pickup. It gets up to speed, but passing is a joke.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• trackerdantrackerdan Member Posts: 6
    Hello, I am considering purchasing a 1988 Honda Prelude from my cousins husband. He bought it from the original owner and it is in very clean excellent condition. It is not mint by anymeans; but it has never been hit and runs great. It has 133,00 miles on it. He wants $2000.00 for it. I thought that was a fair/good price until I did an online Kelly Blue Book and it came out $1500 - $1700. Also he doesn't seem to know when the timing belt/water pump was replaced. He claims the original owner had it serviced by the dealer regularly. As you all know this is a necessary part of regular vehicle maintenance and it is not inexpensive. I would be much obliged for any information or opinions you folks can assist me with. I am going try and include some pictures. Thanks.
    imageimage
    I think that '88 is in better shape than my 2001 Prelude :blush: Is it a stick or automatic?

133,000 miles on an 18 year old car is NOTHING (especially a Honda). The best thing you can do is take it to a mechanic (preferably a Honda mechanic) and have him/her check the car out.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    It is probably time for the second belt, the car is 18 years old. We just had the timing belt on our 98 Prelude changed and the local dealer also changed the water pump and thermostat. Just count on spending $600-$700 and settle on a price accordingly.
    How many miles to you have on your '98 Prelude?

• trackerdantrackerdan Member Posts: 6
    It's a stick. Never thought I'd consider a stick at my age but it is so easy to drive.
    76000, but I was more concerned about age. Prelude engines are interference and did not want to wait one day too long.

I had a '97 SHO that had the cam problem, also an interference engine.
    I looked back and saw thaqt I posted that my Prelude hit 60K miles on January 20th of this year. Last night on my way home from a Super Bowl Paty in Jersey, I hit 61,000 miles!

As far as my timing belt goes, my previous concern was not just the timing belt itself, but there have been postings that the timing belt tensioner in the '97-'99 cars go bad. I have them check the tensioner every time I go in for service.

My service advisor says I needn't do the timing belt change until 90K.

In the spring I'm going to have to get some new shoes for my Prelude.... Something to bite down in the corners with some excellent wet traction.

• timothyawtimothyaw Member Posts: 148
    My mileage is like 21k, and I know I'll hit the time limit before I hit the mileage limit as far as the timing belt issue. I drive my Integra gs-r in the winter. I need to get all my fluids changed (trans, coolant, brakes etc.) I'll try to get that done this spring.
    I had planned on 90,000 miles also, but saw something somewhere that 8 years was the time limit. I little early is alot better than a little late.
    I completely agree! You don't want to be driving the car when the belt snaps :cry:

let it snow, let it snow... Today we got over a foot and a half of the white stuff dumped on us by our good friend mother nature. The wind made for some 2' plus drifts. Needless to say, my Prelude was barely visible. After cleaning off the car, I fired it up and decided I wanted to clean out my parking spot so I won't have to do it before I leave for work tomorrow. Snow was up to its back bumper. It took me a few tries to get out, but I did. By nightfall, the main roads were pretty clear, but the side roads were not in such great shape. Just by taking it easy (with a lot of help from my Michelin Pilot Alpin snow tires), the Prelude tracked beautifully around turns, plowed through some deep (for a car with its low ground clearance) snow, and never once felt skittish. Obviously if you take a turn too fast, its front weight bias will underdteer the car. I feel totally confident with my Prelude in the snow.

Sounds like the Prelude is doing it's job. It's amazing how well the car can handle winter weather.
    There's a local auto parts store where I buy my oil (Castrol Syntec 5W-30). They are a little more expensive than the big box stores, but they are extremely helpful and one of the guys behind the counter (who is very knowledgeable about Preludes) had (I'll get to this in a second) a heavily modified 1998 or 1999 Prelude. It was San Marino Red with an automatic, a body kit, big spoiler, Carbon Fiber hood, exhaust, Intake, 19" wheels, & suspension...not my taste, but a very well cared for and well maintained car (and a Prelude after all). I bought some oil, Prestone De-Icer Washer fluid, & a K&N Filter for my car tonight. I didn't see his car parked and asked him where it was.

HIM: Somebody borrowed it and didn't return it.
    ME: Oh no! You gotta be kidding! I'm sorry dude!
    HIM: Nope. Someone went into the garage of my building and drove off with it. They must have gotten around the immobilizer somehow... My Garage is too short for a flat bed. Car was found 2 weeks later completely burned & stripped on doughnuts.
    ME: WOW! I can't believe it. I really am sorry.
    HIM: Its OK, Im just waiting for the insurancxe company now. They're busting my hump because they think I had somwething to do with it.

I heard a guy that said his Prelude was driven off and he was wondering about the immobilizer. But the one thing we wondered about was that he had an remote starter put on his car. The shop asked for his key to use for that system. So he's wondering if somehow they had something to do with his car being stolen. I've also heard about stolen ECU's etc. I wonder did this guy have something similar happen to him?
    From what I've read, the Immobilizer in our Preludes is pretty tough. But if somebody wants your car bad enough, they'll take it...that's why I think car alarms are USELESS. They had a similar immobilizer in the Integras, which going by the rates they get stolen, don't work so well.

Today while sitting in traffic, a guy pulls up to me and opens his window and asks if my car is for sale and how much I want for it? This is not the 1st time this has happened to me. Does this happen to any of you guys?

The same happens to me as well on occasion. It makes you feel good. There aren't that many of them so it makes you stand out in a way.
    someone will make me an offer I can't refuse ;)

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    someone will make me an offer I can't refuse

kapeesh? Sorry; reminded me of the Godfather.

Just a random reader who posts more on Accord boards!

thegraduate
    That's where I got it from ;)

• lizard82lizard82 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 89 prelude 2.0 si and im startin from scratch the car is a piece. wat engine should i put in it
    with the car? Do you want to use it as a daily driver, a drag racer, and autocross car?

• swat21swat21 Member Posts: 1
    im a member at carspace... www.carspace.com/swat21. i just got my car dynoed and there is a color graph on my site. its an auto and the first thing i did was a transmission shift kit to stage 2. it shifts alot harder but it still has a dead spot til 4000 rpm then the power and torque surge big time. i have alot of mods to it. there will be a turbo on it again but im tryna to do as much as possible before i bolt it on since i have a new engine. i race alot and it sucks taking off but i can usually catch up later on. im into circuit street racing so help me out guys thanx.
    Saturday night I realized my right headlight had burnt out. I just replaced the left one not too long ago. I picked up a new H1 bulb plus a K&N air filter for my Prelude. There is a noticable difference in throttle response.

• turbinmonkeyturbinmonkey Member Posts: 2
    So i bought a '98 prelude, base model. so i have some questions now.

i'll start off we my chief complaint. it's an automatic. why do they still make those things? on top of that it tries to make up for it with that tiptronic thing.what i want to know is how possible is it to switch to a stick? what do i need to buy/do to fix the problem? any estimates?
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Prelude ownership. What color is your car? How many miles are on it? How much did you pay?

If you want a stick so bad, how come you just didn't buy one? It is possible to have a tranny swap done and install a manual transmission in place of your slushbox. It is going to cost big $$$$$. You might be better off trying to sell your car and buy another one that's a stick.

Yeah nyc is right, sell it and buy a manual. It'll save you a lot of money and heartache.
  • turbinmonkeyturbinmonkey Member Posts: 2
    its pearl white, with 90000 for $8,500. doest that sound bad? i think i might wait until i get to a larger city to try to sell again. maybe easier and i'll be moving to san antoinio next weeks... any tips on how to turn around a profit on something like this?
    I took my winter wheels/tires off last week (195/60 R15 Michelin Pilot Alpin) and noticed that the Potenza RE92s (stock tires) had seen better days (barely) and were down to the wear bars. I bought a new set of Yokohama EVS100 W rated tires. I had my dealer put them on and do an alignment. The tires require a break-in period, but I can feel the difference already. The car rolls much less. Turn in seems sharper. It looks like we're going to have a good time ;)

I was looking at the new Potenza's that replace the 92's, can't remember what they are. They got good reponses on tire rack from people that had them. We'll see when it's time for me to get some new tires.
    I actually called tire rack because I don't have a computer at work. The people who work there are very knowledgeable. I told the guy there that I was looking for a High Performance Summer Tire with excellent wet traction as well as insane dry grip. He recommended These Good Year Eagle F1 GSD something or other for $125 a tire. I then asked if there was something cheaper, he didn't hesitate to tell me about the Yokohamas I ended up getting. At $80 per tire, I can afford to chew through them in about 2 years. They'll obviously have December-March off.

Hmmm thanks for the info, I may look into those.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I have a 1988 Prelude Si 4WS, and the exhaust system is a goner. I checked the local muffler shops as well as few places on line that sell parts and none list 4WS. The local muffler shop says that the non 4WS system won't fit because of the steering rack in the rear.

I temporarily fixed it by warpping muffler tape all over, but it won't pass emissions testing with this set up.

The dealer wants close to $800 for the exhaust, and I don't feel like spending that much on an 18 year old vehicle.

Does anyone know if it is true that the non-4WS system won't fit, or if I can get most of the pieces for the non-4WS and then have the muffler shop bend some piping for go around the rack?

The car only has 127,000 miles and still starts on the first crank.
    I wish I could help you out. Search Ebay or Google. If not go to a local speed shop, I'm sure they can help you out.

Today is my 30th birthday. I got a few gifts for my Prelude. My In Laws bought me an ipod adapator for my Pioneer Radio. It hasn't come in yet, still on back order. My wife bought me Genuine Honda foglights. I'm going to have the foglights put in on Saturday. I'm very excited.

So far the Yokohamas are proving to be wonderful tires. Dry grip is great (and I haven't even pushed it yet). Wet traction is phenomenal. Usually the Potenzas skip when I launch from a light in the rain and hydroplane like there's no tomorrow. The Yokohamas launch well and made me feel very comfortable in tonight's torrential rain.

Happy birthday nyc, 30 is not so bad, I passed that up 5 years ago :) genuine honda foglights eh? sounds nice. I thought about getting the 6 disc changer to put in my dash that is honda, maybe somebody will get that for my birthday. I still have the OEM tires on and they squeal like crazy. I don't take it easy on the curves. I am looking for excellent dry grip, wet grip can be ok, I usually slow down somewhat when it rains.
    Thanks for the kind birthday wishes. I'll take 'em where I can get 'em. While I've only had my tires for a week, I can say that I'm very impressed with them. The OEM tires are pure garbage and expensive to boot (I paid $80 each plus shipping for my Yokohamas). I slow down when it rains, but I felt unsafe with the OEM tires.

If you've got your heart set on the Honda In Dash CD changer, check out handaaccessories. They've got great prices.

For the price of the changer plus installation, I'd reccommend getting a new head unit like I did last year. It puts out more power than the stock head unit, I also added sirius satellite radio and my future ipod adapt.

• yanksski13yanksski13 Member Posts: 4
    Hey, I'm new on the forum but have read through many postings. Right now I have a 1996 Chevy Impala SS and my Father has a 2004 GTO. Awesome cars w/ great power but not great gas mileage. That brings me to my question. I love the prelude and its looks. Due to graduating college and getting a job 90% of my driving is commuting on an interstate at ~70-80 mph. I'm looking for something to reduce my fuel costs dramatically while not reducing the FUN factor that I, like everyone else, is addicted too. I've read on here that people have gotten 25-27 on the highway while some have gotten 29-31. While I would love to take the larger number and go buy a prelude, what is everyone's opinion on if I will get above or below the EPA rating of 26-27mpg on the highway?
    If you don't think I can accomplish what I'm looking for with a prelude, does anyone have any suggestions for another vehicle?

I would only think of getting the 5spd. And I'm not interested in getting some little putt-putt 4cyl because there is no fun in that. I consistently get 20mpg out of my Impala and if the prelude can't offer a significant improvement, unfortunately it won't be worth my time and effort to track one down. Thanks in advance for reading and helping me out.

-A sincere car fanatic
    IIRC the EPA ratings for my '01 Prelude Type SH (5-speed Only) was 22 city/27 highway. Normally I drive about 65% highway 35% City. I don't use cruise control and drive pretty aggressively (one of the benefits of having to be at work by 7:30 AM Monday - Saturday). I average just about 24 mpg. Obviously when I do more highway driving, my mileage increases. If I do a lot of highway driving and use the cruise a little bit, I can eek out 26 mpg. Driving to Pittsburgh last summer from the NYC suburb where I live at 75mph got me 30mpg on one tankful during the trip. My car has 64,900 miles on it. Hope this helps!

nyccarguy, thanks for the useful info. I also live in a suburb of nyc. What you gave me is the kind of "real world" mpg number that I'm looking for. As far as I'm concerned the EPA has little to no credibility when give cars a mpg rating. I drive 80 miles a day round trip between my home/work/gym and with gas prices quickly on the rise it is becoming increasingly more expensive to chauffeur myself around in my huge Impala which gets just under 20 mpg/tank on my commute. The prelude has everything else I'm looking for (looks, customizing ability, economical, Honda reliability.) I just need it to reduce my transportation costs to something a little more sane instead of a $60 tank of gas a week. Anyway, I appreciate the help and I'm always open to more input from any other readers.
    80 miles per day! Where do you live/work? I live in lower Westchester and commute to The Bronx 6 days a week. My trip is between 40 & 42 miles round trip. Plus all the driving I do on the weekend, I put 20K miles per year on my car.

While gas suddenly shot up, I paid $2.98 per gallon yesterday and it cost me about $35 to fill my tank.

You'll definitely save some dough on gas from your Impala, but I'm not sure about insurance costs. I'm sure a Prelude will cost you more per year to insure.

Saturday afternoon I hit 65,000 miles!

I also had my Genuine Honda Fog lights installed. They look great and really light up the road directly in front and to the sides of the car.

It's those little things that add spice to a car sometimes. Have you done your timing belt yet? I know the mileage is 105k, what is the time?

And about gas mileage, nyc is right on. I get about the same. I drive just as aggressive. The Prelude is no civic, but it's not outrageous either.
    Thanks Tim and NYC. I live in northern westchester and commute to Harrison, each way is 33 miles with a side trip to the gym on the way home puts me at 80/day. I know its a lot and it sucks. Right now I'm gonna put 20k on a year w/ just driving to work, and since I don't do my errands on the weekend on a Schwinn its definitely going to be more. I filled up last week at $3.04 and cost $57. Roughly 20 gallons and 20mpg and thats about a $60 tank of gas a week. I understand everyone has to pay these prices and some of you may drive a lot further than I have to but either way, its insane.

You're right, the insurance would def. kill me. Right now I don't have collision on my Impala because its just not worth it. I certainly don't think that would be a wise idea w/ a Prelude.

P.S. Nice addition with the fog lamps.
    timothyaw: I always thought the rule of thumb with the timing belt was 60K, but my dealer told me a few months ago that it wouldn't have to be done until 90K miles. Spark plugs are at 105K miles. I was almost going to have the timing belt (and tensioner) changed just because I'm neurotic about preventitive maintenance, but last year was an expensive one for my Prelude. I replaced the exhaust and the clutch that along with oil changes and alignments put me over the $3K mark.

yanksski13: Thanks for the compliment about the fog lights. They do add a nice touch. I've never been into really customizing my car, but when the stock exhaust went bad, for similar money I went with an aftermarket Apexi World Sport. It is a little big for my tastes, but is quieter than stock and really roars when my car switches over to the HOT CAM.

GAs mileage. It definitely isn't a Civic. The engine hums along at 4000 RPM at 81 mph. It definitely isn;t geard for fuel economy. That's what makes the Prelude so much fun to drive :P As far as range goes, I usually fill up right around the 300 mile mark.

Nyc this is from my owner link. It has the maintenance schedule in there. Here is a copy and paste from it...

105,000 mi/168,000 km/7 yrs Scheduled Maintenance
    Recommended service for your 2001 Honda Prelude:

Replace engine oil.

Rotate tires (follow pattern on page 210 of your owner's manual).

Replace engine oil filter.

Inspect front and rear brakes.

Check parking brake adjustment.

Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots.

Inspect suspension components.

Inspect driveshaft boots.

Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS).

Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids, and check for leaks.

Inspect cooling system hoses and conditions.

Inspect exhaust system#.

Inspect fuel lines and connections#.

#: See information on maintenance and emissions warranty, last column, page 173 of your owner's manual.

Replace timing belt, balancer belt, and inspect water pump.

Replace spark plugs.

Inspect idle speed.

Inspect valve clearance.

Of course it wouldn't hurt to do it earlier. Of course you always go ahead and REPLACE the water pump.
    Thanks! I'm still 2 solid years away from 105,000 miles.

• pointatobpointatob Member Posts: 30
    i made it to the NY auto show last week. was pretty cool to see some new models coming out this summer / fall. it was very crowded of course. anyone else make it?

my 93 prelude vtec just hit 155,000 mls last month. still running strong, but i think i've got a transmission fluid leak. i need to get it checked out...

later