Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    There was/is no C70 R.
    The emblem is available in the parts
    I modified my 2002 coupe, put on the ipd exhaust, k&n filter and 18" wheels, stuck the R badge on it.
    Bottom line, quiz the owner, see why he put the badge on it
  • My wife has a '99 convertible that has only been hand washed (by me) since new. I've been traveling more recently and she wants to run the car through an automatic car wash. Has anyone routinely run their convertible through a "soft touch" or "touchless" car wash? If so, any problems or issues regarding water penetration or top damage?

With respect to the "'99R", be careful. There was an situation in Dallas where a salvaged Honda (wrecked) was resold with the Honda accessory R badge without disclosing the rebuild. When a civil action was brought against the used car dealer, his defense was he disclosed the fact that the vehicle was reconditioned, that is what the R meant. Don't know how the case eventually turned out, it was related to me by a judge who heard about it from a colleague.
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,006
    Don't think the wash would hurt the car or top, but my concerns would be water penetration between the windows. Maybe they could add a leather cleaner/conditioner to the final rinse cycle!

"R" meaning reconditioned. That's a good one! I might have to call IPD!
  • The C70 R is a convertible, offered by Carmax. Decided to get it today, but Carmax has a five-day return. Did the simple version of the CARFAX, as well as talked to Volvo. Car has never been wrecked, salvaged or reconditioned according to those two sources. Volvo said every recall item was repaired. Drove 100+ miles today and really like the car, despite constant rain. Figure if its good in that condition, it will be great in the sunshine.

Will take it to a Volvo dealer in the next day and get it looked over, however.
    more when the sun comes out! That one touch top is amazing to watch in action, plus there's no cover to mess with. From personal experience, I recommend you get the Volvo wind screen. It will be money well spent. I can't believe the difference it makes, and really adds to the enjoyment of going "topless"!
  • Checked out the ipd site, and found a custom rear spoiler that is on my c70 "R" model. i bet the previous owner added that and maybe some other stuff along with the "R". I'll have a mechanic look for other "enhancements". Thanks for the tip.

You guys are right, though. The C70 is a great car to drive. I'm having a blast. Stereo is terrific, seats comfortable, drive is nice and smooth. My kids - 13 and 10 -- are already lobbying for it to be "their" car when they are of age. I told them I'll probably be out of the convertible stage by then, and buy a station wagon. :)
  • schuhcschuhc Posts: 333
    The things I miss when I don't look at this post regularly!!!!!!!
    Glad your enjoying your R!
    As for the carwash we have an autowash at our store,the convertibles have no problem going thru it.
  • I am in the market for a luxury convertible, although it will be a used one. I pretty much have narrowed it down to the BMW 3 series or the C70. I have read posts on both sites, but buying a used C70 concerns me if Volvo stops producing them next year. Is that reliable info? I am interested in comfort and nice ride, and it seems that the C70 is the best option. Any advice? Should I spend the additional on a new one? Thanks in advance!
    Yes it's true Volvo will stop producing the C70, but I wouldn't let that stop you getting one. Most all the stuff is basically interchangeable, except for the sheet metal. Just look at all the 740 and 240's still around. As far as comfort goes, the C70 is one fine ride, plus it's a true four passender. If dollars are not a problem, go for the new, otherwise go used. Good Luck and let us know what you decide.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,226
    Why should stoppage of production concern you? Hell, if anything, it just makes it more rare. The reason they are stopping is due to slow sales. Personally, I blame that on poor public exposure. I still find people all the time who say "Volvo makes a sporty coupe??"

The advantages are that it is larger than the 3-series and, due to the lower popularity as mentioned above, you could get a much better deal on one. Which also brings me to my other point: I would advise against a new one. Used is a much better bargain and you won't be hit with that harsh initial depreciation.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

I sure agree with you on the public exposure. Even though a relatively limited production, one rarely sees the C70 advertised. I, too, have people say "I didn't know Volvo makes a convertible" and they've been made since '98! Volvo really blew it on the advertising. On the plus side though, except for "Volvo" on the center of the trunk for the '02's instead of below the left tail light, and no side lights on the '98, they all look the same which is a good thing.
    What I know of Volvo is that they come out with the coupe for a couple of years and then take it away for a couple of years so I don't think that it's because of slow sales. I hardly see any on the lots here in Chicago and the burbs.

My salesman told me (while between him trying to buy the XC90 via the European program) that they are planning to have the next convertible/coupe built off of the S60 platform and that it would be coming out in a couple of years.

That's just what I know so I could be wrong (as I frequently am according to my wife).
    Next coupe will be of the new P1 platform.
    It will be a 4 seater with a folding hard top.
    It will not arrive until the 2005 model yr.
    Current C70cv will be back for 2004.

Volvo has always had short lifespans for their coupes. See the 262 and 780 bertones.
    We ahve done well w/ the convertibles not so well w/ the coupes.
    Volvo loses money on the cars which is why they don't want to compound the looses by advertising.
    Stupid i know but what can you do?
  • Thanks for the advice. It is true, I never would have picked a Volvo as a "luxury" convertible until I read the reviews. Now I just have to go test drive the Volvo and the BMW 3 series. But the bmw is rear wheel drive which I am not hip to, and not as big/roomy/etc...

Now, I am pretty sure I am going to by used, so what are the differences between 1999/2000/2001/2002? I am hoping to get one around $25000 and I like the silver with the black top look. Thanks again in advance!
  • I cannot find anywhere what HT and LT stand for, unless its high-turbo and low-turbo? Am I right? That seems to be a huge price difference for the different turbos!

If anyone knows a C70 convertible for sale private owner that needs a good home at a reasonable price, make sure to email me. I am not afraid to drive, I live in AZ, and would prefer a car that has resided in a warm-weather state. Thanks! (Rseboltaz@yahoo.com)
    You're right, high turbo and low turbo. The HT produces 236 HP, the LT 190. The LT actually has more low end torque than the HT and is a slightly larger engine. Some of the price differences are some options are standard with the HT and are extra on the LT. Check Ebay for some convertibles. Just use "Volvo C70" in the search window. Have seen a few from AZ. Good hunting.
    1998 non existant only a few hundred built.
    My personal preference would be 2001 or 2002.
    the transmission was reprogrammed and the chassis was reinforced underneath to deal with shimmy issues.
    $25,000 sounds like a 99 though.
  • There is a 2001 on ebay that states it had its tranny replaced under warranty. Has there been any problems with the trannys? Should this concern me since it is a 2001 with 44000 miles and a new tranny? Or should it be ok if it was done at the dealer?

Thanks for all the info. I think I will do a 2001 if the tranny was reprogrammed and the chassis was reinforced, it would be worth it. Is there a noticeable difference in the ride of the car?
    I see several '98's for sale on Ebay . In fact, that's where I discovered that the '98's, coupes and converts, didn't have the side lights, but had the Volvo name instead. Also, many I've seen have serial numbers greater than 500, assuming they started with one.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    Just looking through edmunds own overviews -

New for 1999:
    This year, buyers of both coupe and convertible models will enjoy standard interior enhancements that include a leather steering wheel, redesigned interior light switches, 130-mph speed limiter, front fender turn indicators and red walnut dash trim in place of last year's black wood. A new 17-inch alloy wheel option is available in 1999 for both coupes and convertibles. The coupe also gets an in-dash cruise control indicator light. New colors include Desert Wind for the coupe and Champagne for the convertible.

New for 2000:
    This year, buyers of both coupe and convertible models will enjoy standard interior enhancements that include head and chest side airbags and WHIPS, an innovative safety system that reduces head and neck injury in a rear-end collision by moving the seat back 15 degrees after impact. This prevents the person's body from snapping forward again. At the same time the headrest moves forward, providing extra support for the head and neck. Homelink is now standard on the C70 HPT coupe and exterior paint color Champagne is replaced by Moondust and Venetian Red.

The C70 HPT convertible is introduced for 2000 with either a four-speed automatic or a manual gearbox. Content includes all features on the LT convertible, plus an SC-900 radio, genuine wood dash inlays, auto-dimming mirror and a trip computer. The HT convertible can be spiffed up with options like heated front seats, 17-inch alloy wheels, and stability traction control.

New for 2001:
    A new five-speed automatic transmission is optional equipment. Exterior styling remains the same, but there are new 16-inch wheels for all models, with the 17-inch wheels still being optional. Simulated wood trim replaces the previous car's burled walnut wood trim. The coupe's previously standard equipment of the trip computer, auto-dimming rearview mirror, simulated wood trim, leather upholstery and sunroof are now part of the Grand Touring option package. The premium audio system is optional on the HPT coupe and standard on the HPT convertible.

New for 2002:
    Volvo will offer the C70 Coupe in just one trim level, and the contents of last year's SE model will come with it, including the unique sport grille, 17-inch wheels and tires, power sunroof, leather upholstery, trip computer, auto-dimming rearview mirror and special dash inlays. New standard features for all C70s include Volvo's stability and traction control system (STC), heated front seats and an emergency trunk release. Convertibles also get 17-spoke alloy wheels and ride on Z-rated 205/55R16 Pirelli tires. Genuine wood dash trim replaces the "wood effect" trim in the optional Touring Package for the C70 LPT convertible. Ash Gold is now an exterior color choice, while Turquoise Metallic and Venetian Red Metallic have been discontinued.

New for 2003:
    For 2003, the C70 is only available in convertible form. Slight power increases are in store for both powertrains, with the LT engine now making 196 horsepower, an enhancement of six, and the HT engine producing 245, a boost of nine ponies over last year's output. The headlamps and taillamps have a jeweled effect, and the front grille is darkened. A rainbow of new colors -- Maya Gold, Ruby Red and Titanium Grey -- burst onto the scene.
    Hmmm... definitely sounds like '01 is the way to go. Personally, I'd probably be looking for an HT with the 5-speed auto. Problem is now you are up in the $30K range. But even if you drop to an '00 HT, its around $27-$28K. So, I guess the question is do you want HT or LT? To be fair, the BMW 328 is more comparable to the LT Volvo. And you are looking at $33K for a similarly equipped '99 328 with 40K miles. So it all depends on how you look at it.

To stay in the $25k range, it looks like you might need to go for a '99 LT with about 40K miles (this is all according to Edmunds numbers, by the way, minus a few bucks because I've always found that I can do a little better than edmunds).

Oh, and I wouldn't worry about a rebuilt tranny if it was done by the dealer. Something you might want to think about while surfing Ebay, though, is that a certified pre-owned Volvo from a dealer comes with a nice warranty (7 year/74K miles) that will give you peace of mind.

Good recap of the model years. I like having my color (Champagne Metallic) available for only one year, makes it more special, but hated that the Turquoise Metallic was discontinued. Where did you find the info for the '03?? I tried a search and came up with nothing.
    Listening to TMart's experiences with his LT I say that it depends on the environment that you're driving in. I don't know what Arizona is like but I would think that you would be great in an LT. I love my HT (coupe) but that is because I'm in Psycho Chicago and take the expressways everywhere. So the HT comes in handy sometimes, but I could be just as happy with the LT.
    C70 coupes and converts used the same serial number sequence. Only the first part is different
    Convert is YV1NC... Coupe is YV1NK.
    According to Volvo somewhere between 500-700 convertibles arrived for the 98 model yr.
    Tranny repl. on an 01 is odd, but should present no problems.

LT's are faster to 35mph, HT's are faster after that.
    Also HT's are better at highway passing.
    LT suspension setup is a little softer than the HT although it is hard to feel the difference sometime.
    HT'a also came with real wood in the dash and the SC901 sound system. Also the HT was the only way to get a stick.
  • I just test drove that 2001 that is on ebay from Arizona and it was nothing like I expected. I guess I expected a 'luxury' car and ride. The ride was rough and the car was loud. I was very disappointed. There are alot of features I do like though, like the one touch convertible top, the one touch for all the windows, and the turbocharged engine.

I guess I need to go test drive a new one from the dealer to see what a new one rides like, versus a used older one. Maybe it was the tires he had on the car, I don't know. I used to have a Sebring Convertible and for double the money of a Sebring, I guess I expected alot more than was there.
    Candyman, sorry you were disappointed with your test drive. Was it a LT or HT? As Volvoman mentioned above, they have different suspensions. I haven't been in an HT, but my LT, ride wise, doesn't compare to my wife's ES300. But, I've got 17 inch wheels with high performance tires versus her 16 inchers with all season radials. As far as being loud, no convert is going to be as quiet as a sedan or coupe. Haven't driven a Sebring, so I can't make a comparison. Definitely take a new one for a spin and compare.
    Candyman, none of them ride soft like a Sebring!
    although the Lt w/ 16" wheels will be as soft as they get.
    What noise were you concerned with?
    I've always felt it was ine of the quietest convertibles out there.
    Very little wind noise top up or down.
    Volvomax is right on. The Sebring is soft. You will find it softer than the BMW, too. The Sebring is not a "sport" anything. That's the difference. Both the Volvo and BMW will outhandle the Sebring by a wide margin. The harsher ride is the price you pay. If the one you drove was with the 17" wheels, then find one with 16". But, even then, you will think it much stiffer than your Sebring. Even my S70 with 16" wheels and non-sport suspension is relatively harsh compared to the Mazda 626 I traded in for it, but I find the Volvo worlds superior in every way. And the Mazda is one of the better handling mid-size sedans on the market - my volvo is even better.