Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    I went to the NY auto show last Saturday. Every year it gets more and more crowded. I don't mind waiting to sit in cars, but some people are just ridiculous with their digital cameras. In all honesty, you can get much better pictures of any car off the internet. I do like getting in all the cars and seeing the quality of the interior materials. I like seeing some cars in the sheetmetal rather than in pictures.

On Saturday I had my Prelude's windshield replaced. I also had my iPod adapter installed in my car. It is a pioneer adapter made to plug into my aftermarket pioneer radio. Between my iPod and Sirius Satellite Radio, I'm set as far as tunes go.

pointatob: '93 VTEC...very nice. What color is your car? Is it stock? Congrats on the 155K mark. I hope to have my '01 Type SH for that long. It currently has 65K miles on it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Given the escalating prices of gas these days, I wanted to see how good I could do as far as gas mileage goes. Last week I averaged just over 26 mpg. This was of course done by setting my cruise control at 62 mph on the highway, shifting between 2500 & 3000 RPM around town, & no VTEC time. It was actually pretty relaxing not having to worry about the police. On the other hand, I was worried about getting run off the road :P

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• timothyawtimothyaw Member Posts: 148
    Nyc I've kinda eased up on the pedal and shift points as well. It makes a big difference of course. No worries about cops, but like you said people were passing me like I was standing still!
    $40 & change to fill my car up on Sunday. I think I paid $3.33 per gallon for Super.

• pointatobpointatob Member Posts: 30
    hey NYC,

the 93 vtec is brittany blue green with stock everything. i thought several times about changing the wheels, but never did. bought it off the showroom floor in may of 93. we've been together a long time, but the car still drives awesome. i've been thinking about replacing it with the saab 93 sportcombi wagon (2 kids with car seats getting tougher in the prelude). test drove it a few weeks ago, and it was awesome. i had the same feeling driving the sportcombi that i had 13 years ago when testing all the sport coupes on the market and deciding on the prelude...

did you see the sportcombi at the show?
  • yanksski13yanksski13 Member Posts: 4
    Its amazing how having a light right foot can help a little bit. I was able to eek out 20.8mpg in my Impala, but at $60-$65 for a tank of gas a different car, maybe a prelude, is looking better and better. In some spots on my commute slowing down to under 65 will most of the time put your life in danger.

NYC: I totally feel where you're coming from w/ the exhaust. If an OEM part is more costly than an aftermarket, I say go with something that adds a little bit to your ride.

Like its already been said the NY Auto show was cool but a mob scene. You wonder what these people toting around $1500 digital cameras are doing. Always cool to see what the used car market is going to look like in a few years.

P.S. Hopefully they will build the Camaro and Challenger concepts!
    Well, I'm sure if you decide to part with your Prelude then you'll have NO TROUBLE finding a buyer for it. You could always keep it as a spare car.

I actually did check out the SportCombi at the auto show (among other wagons). I thought the room in the back was a bit tight. The interior materials were a little cheap (compared to my Prelude). Then there's the torquesteer you'll be dealing with. ANd remember it is a GM product.

I leased a 2000 Saab 9-3 for 3 years (December '99 through December '02). I did not treat the car gingerly (to say the least). The dealer was blabbing about taking it easy during the break-in period. I pulled out of the Dealer's lot on Rte 17 in New Jersey, merged into traffic, looked down at my speedo, and noticed I was going 85 mph. That began my love affair with the turbocharger :P The car was very reliable. The only trips to the dealer were for oil changes at 5, 10, 20, & 30K miles (dino juice, not synthetic like my Prelude gets) and one time I got swallowed by a pothole on 132nd St & Park Ave in Manhattan. It was a great road car, great seats on long trips.

to my Prelude. 4/27. I took delivery of it exactly 4 years ago today. 65,800 something miles later and I'm still very happy with my '01 Milano Red Prelude Type SH.

that's good to know that you had no problems with the 9-3, it's such a low volume car that it can be difficult to ascertain the true reliability. you're right, the back seat is a little tight, but about the same as the mazda6 wagon and only a touch smaller than the passat wagon back seat. i'm looking forward to the new jetta wagon coming out this summer / fall. interior materials aren't amazing but i thought they were competitive with or better than any wagon in the 25k - 30k range. good observations though..

i might very well keep the prelude as a 3rd car. when it really comes down to it, i'm not sure that i COULD sell it. i love it too much...

i agree about the interior materials on the prelude being great. even today, i doubt there's another car under 50k that has as many soft touch / compressible plastics as in the prelude. your '01 prelude came with leather right? in 93, there was no leather option but a cool striped / racy looking black / gray cloth. it's held up amazingly well.

see ya
    atob
    I sat in the Mazda 6 and really liked it. I thought the interior is geared towards sportiness and the materials had a nice feel to them. I actually like the 6 Sedan better than the wagon.

If you've been driving a Prelude since '93, stay away from your local VW dealership. I think the Passats are decent. Most people I know that have Passats are pretty much trouble free, but Jettas are horrible.

Are you going to buy or lease? If you're planning on leasing, BMWs have excellent residual values that make them conducive to leasing. The 325XiT Sports Wagon is really nice.

Leather was never an option on the Prelude here in the US. Our neighbors to the North got a Prelude SE with Leather interior and heated seats while we got the Prelude Type SH with Active Torque Transfer System.

My car had it's birthday 2/08. I got it late, 2002. Still going strong, and expect it to for awhile.
  • accelaccel Member Posts: 4
    I do not push my Lude and at highways several times measured 32mpg. Pure city is like 20-21 mpg.

Do you think an intake like this
    would improve gas economy or make it worse?

How about headers?
  • gotthesubbuggotthesubbug Member Posts: 2
    I bent the drivers side lower control arm in my 97 Prelude SH. I have the new part, and need to replace it, but can't find a Haynes manual for this model. Can anyone point me to some good step-by-step instructions?

Thanks!
    Sorry dude, I wish I could help out. About the only thing I do to my '01 SH myself is fill it up with gas and put air in the tires.

• 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Chilton Manual 30152, p.8-12.
  • azludeazlude Member Posts: 1
    Hello out there, I'm new to the Prelude scene. I have a '91 SR I love it, however I can't seem to find some A/C parts. not to mention that the Honda dealers out here in AZ haven't even heard of an SR. they say that it must be a mistake 'cause it has to be an s or si. what I'm looking for is the a/c control unit? on the passenger side panel. If anyone has a clue who I could talk to I would surely appreciate it. I really don't want to go through this 100 degree weather all summer w/out A/C. thanks
    This afternoon after I got gas ($3.43 9/10) for 93 (double ouch), my fingers slipped as I was opening my car door and WHAM! Right smack into that concrete thing that most gas stations have near the pumps. :mad: It didn't dent the door, but did manage to put a nice 3" crack in the paint. Any suggestions on what I should do to keep this from rusting through?

Sorry to hear about the misfortune. Yeah I hate those concrete islands they have at the gas stations. I'm usually very, very careful around those. Unfortunately I don't think there is too much you can do except to touch it up the best you can for now. Or you can go the professional route.
    If and when you get the car resprayed it can be done then as well. You're fortunate it's not a dent. It'll be alright, try to keep smiling while driving :)
    Host thanks for sharing that, it was a very interesting look back at one of the best FWD sporty cars we've ever seen!
  • 5speedguy5speedguy Member Posts: 12
    KarenS--I want to add my "thanks" for sending out your Prelude summary. I'm new to Preludes ('93 4WS since 6/05)but I love it. Yes--it was good to see a solid review of the Prelude's "family tree." :)
  • lgj069lgj069 Member Posts: 7
    1983 prelude w/ A/T, carburated engine starts and
    idles OK, but stalls when I put it in drive. Any
    suggestions/input/info will be helpful!! Thanx

Larry
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    You might want to give the folks in the Idle and Stalling Problems discussion a shot at your problem if you don't get an answer here.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• mochi1mochi1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone. My '89 Honda Prelude 2.0L si is not getting enough gas mileage for the type of car it is. It's suppose to get 20 miles per gallon, but I've gotten 17 miles per gallon. If anyone could give me some tips as to how to improve my car, that would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Since April 27, 2002 my Milano Red 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH has gotten me through a lot in our 69,000+ miles together. It survived a right rear suspension rebuild & cracked rim as well as a severed exhaust from a metal plate covering an open manhole. My Prelude survived being parked on the streets of NYC for 2 years without being stolen or side swiped by a city snow plow. It has never left me stranded in any major snow storm. It has taken me from NYC to South Carolina. Westchester, NY to Pittsburgh PA. Westchester, NY to Cape Cod. It takes me to and from work 6 days a week.... My memories with it are mostly good ones.

For a good cause I will have to scale back on driving it. My wofe is due with our 1st child in September. The other day while looking at strollers & infant seats, I asked the clerk at the store if I could bring these items out to my car to see if they fit. She asked what kind of car we had and I pointed to my shiny red Prelude. She laughed and then asked if A, we were going to keep that car & B, if we had another car to driven when the baby comes along. Looks like the Prelude will be relegated to commuting duty and we'll be using the wife's 200 Protege ES a lot more at night & on weekends :cry:

First I want to say congraulations on your upcoming first child! Yes it does indeed look like you'll be using it more for commuting when the child comes.

But hey at least you'll still be driving it :D You bought your car late in the model year. I thought I bought mine late in Feb 8th 2002. But you got me beat. The last four of my VIN is 9097. I wonder what is yours. Now you'll have one more joy in life with the baby.
    2027 are the last 4 of my VIN, so I guess yours was built before or after. On my door jam, it says the build date of my car was October 2001.

Thanks so much for your kind words. We're very excited :shades:

When is the baby due? I'll have to check the build date on my car and see what month it was built.
  • prelude97prelude97 Member Posts: 6
    ...Hi all, I guess this must be the place. I just bought my first ever Honda, a red 97 Prelude VTEC. So far all I can say is WOW..I had no idea a four cyl could rock this much. This thing looks like a brand new car even though it has 87,000 miles on it. Its nearly flawless for the year and I got it for $6700 bucks. Do you all think I got a good deal on it? What kind of routine maintanience should I be looking for on this car? I cant contain my excitement for this car, and for me a 97 IS a new car. Its a blast to drive.
    Anyway, nice to meet all you other Prelude owners!!!
    Rowzman`` :D
    He's Due September 14, 2006!

Congrats on your Prelude purchase! 87,000 miles on a '97 is NOTHING (My '01 has a little over 69,000)! Off the top of my head, just change the oil every 4,000 miles or so. make sure you use full synthetic (5w30). I prefer Castrol Syntec over Mobil 1. I think there is a major service due at 90,000 miles. That's when Honda advises on changing the timing belt. Is you car a stick or Automatic?

The Prelude is a great car to drive. It is not has decent speed, but handles phenomenaly, & cruises effortlessly on the highway. You'll enjoy your car!

Its the 'ole slapstick automatic. It actually gets out of the gate quite nicely with the stick.
    Congraulations on your Prelude! Yeah a 97/87k is nothing. This car is a blast to drive. Just take care of it, and it'll take care of you.

Oh nyc, my car has a build date of July 01. So your car was built after mine :)
    So far it has been nuthin but fun...once Im in it. See, Im an old guy at 45 and theres only about 6 inches of clearence between the bottom of the steering wheel and the seat and thats with the wheel all the way up and the seat back all the way. Its a little tough for this old man to get in. But once Im in it, its great..!! :)
    congrats NYC!

babies are lots of fun. remember, they only face rearwards for the first year. after that, it will be easier to fit as a family in the prelude. so don't sell it in the first year 'cause you think it's too cramped!

i've managed to make it through two iterations of rearward facing kiddos and pressure from the in-laws without selling my first baby.

good luck!
    Thanks so very much for you kind words.

There's no way I'm selling my Prelude! I'm sure if I take the baby by myself somewhere that I'll be able to fit the rear facing child seat in my Prelude (with the front seat pushed far forward).

Lol regarding pressure. My Mom told me once that "no grandchild of hers is going to be in your Honda. It is snall and unsafe."

My response: "Ma, do you think if the Prelude was unsafe that I would be driving it? Do you really think I would want to put my son in any kind of danger? If you think my Prelude is unsafe, then buy me a new car. Or if you don't want to do that, you get a new car and give me your BMW (2005 530iA) for the remainder of its lease."

Hahhahaha that was a good one about taking that BMW 530iA off her hands. I wouldn't mind taking it off her hands! What did she say by the way, when you proposed that?
  • jhawk901jhawk901 Member Posts: 1
    hey guys! Im a new prelude owner and i was wonderin if i got a good deal. It's a base 01 prelude with 50,000 miles for $14,000. Also was wonderin where i could get an OEM spoiler to add on. Thanks for the input
    congrats on your new purchase! Is you car stick or automatic? What color is it? Did you buy from a dealer or private owner? Check out handaaccessories thaty seem to have reasonable prices lots of honda parts.

She suggested I use my sister's 2000 VW Jetta GLS VR6 (slushbox, pitches & rolls, not my cup of tea) for the time being. My sister lives in the city and rarely uses her car.

• arssa2020arssa2020 Member Posts: 5
    Hello all
    i am looking to buy a used prelude, years 97-02
    i am looking for a good car with low milage, which year model should i target? whats the difference between SH and the base model STD?
    i heard the auto trans on the prelud's causes some problems after 60K? should i go for the manual instead?
    Thanks for sharing your experience
    Thanks
    I guess the answer to your question is whatever the newest car with the least amount of mileage you can afford is. One of the beauties of the Prelude is that it remained relatively unchanged from 1997 - 2001 (it's last year of production, not 2002). Aside from a few exterior color changes, a slight change to the grill, and different seat fabrics the cars are all pretty much the same.

As with any used car, make sure you have it checked out by a mechanic. I'd want the car to be relatively stock, maybe just an intake & exhaust, but no body kits with huge spoilers. Make sure the owner has paperwork for the car, receipts, and a clean title.

I strongly reccomend you look for a car with a manual transmission! It is a great stick to drive with precise gates and an easy clutch to modulate.

Differences between base Preludes & Type SH models. I'm doing this from memory (just shows what a loser I really am :P ) so I may miss something. There were A LOT more base Preludes produced than Type SH models. The Type SH will command a higher premium if you're looking at the same year car with similar mileage. The major difference is that the Type SH Prelude came equipped with Honda's Active Torque Transfer System (ATTS). In hard cornering, ATTS car transfer up to 80% of the power to the outside wheel to counteract a FWD car's tendency to understeer. The Type SH also came with a standard rear spoiler, different wheels, body colored underside molding (base car gets black), a leather wrapped shift knob, & puddle lights on the inside of the doors.

Is the Type SH worth it? Not really. Besides the additional cost of a Type SH Prelude vs. a base Prelude, if the clutch has to be replaced (as it did in my '01 Type SH) it will cost A LOT more due to the fact that the ATTS unit has to be taken out and re-installed (extra 5 hours in labor alone).

Don't get me wrong, I love my Milano Red 2001 Type SH Prelude. I just did a round trip NY to Pittsburgh, PA trip this weekend. It still impresses me with over 70,500 miles on the clock.

ANy more questions, let me know :)

did a great retrospect of the Prelude that's still on the server.

• 5speedguy5speedguy Member Posts: 12
    Hi:

Does anyone know the weight of the OEM wheels on the '93 Prelude Si 4WS? I want to replace them with lighter weight (yet also inexpensive) wheels so I'd like to know the weight of my existing wheels. I haven't been successful getting that info from the Prelude manual, Honda or the I-net. Can anyone help with the weight? Also--any suggestions on wheels?
    ....I noticed you recommend manual transmission in the Prelude,,The one I just got is an autostick and it does shift how would I say....differently....I guess the word is than my other cars. It seems to shift a second too soon or a second too late if you know what Im saying. Especially at slower speeds. This being my first ever Honda, are the auto trans known to be troublesome? Or do they just shift a little harder than the cruising "vessel" type cars I was always accustomed to?
    Your auto tranny shifting a second too soon or too late is because it is an automatic transmission with a torque converter. You tell the transmission (computer) what gear you want to put it in, it has to decide if it will let you, then puts the car in tyhe gear you selected (this all happens in miliseconds). Upshifts and downshifts for me (and other manual drivers) are instantaneous (for all intensive puprposes).

I think a lot of the earlier problems were due to the fact that an automatic transmission wasn't meant to be mated to an engine that revs so high. People would drive it like they stole it (best way to enjoy the Prelude) and fry the torque converter.

Find a used wheel dealer, determine the shipping weight for the stock wheel, then the shipping weight for any wheel you are interested in can tell you how much lighter it is.
    The prelude automatic transmission has a memory. The more you drive it the more you will like it.
  • james88582james88582 Member Posts: 1
    No I don't have that problem with mine, but it has been giving me problems with the distributer and rotor. If it starts to feel like its losing power, check the fuel filter. Mine was running like crap until I changed it.
    ok,
    i've managed to fit some fairly large and bulky items in my prelude over the years, but what i saw today goes beyond anything that i personally had thought of to transport in the 'lude: i'm driving in town today and see a black 1995 or 1996 ish prelude (with nice customized wheels and spoiler) with his sunroof open cruising in the same direction. jutting out of his sunroof were two 4X4 wood beams of 8' to 10' in length! he turned and i was able to guess that he had the 4X4s resting in the front passenger floorwell and along the front edge of the open sunroof.

now that i have not tried. it looked a little bit like the delorean in "back to the Future" with the large hook standing 6' over the car roof....
    It never ceases to amaze me what I can actually fit into my Prelude. Trips to Costco are never a problem.