Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln LS

Comments

• xwrayxwray Member Posts: 60
    The following is from the current online issue of Motor Magazine:

"Inaccurate ambient temperature on display.

Some late-model Ford SUVs and luxury cars (full list below) may produce inaccurate ambient temperature displays under certain weather conditions and low-to-medium driving speeds. For instance, the display may read too low or update slowly when the vehicle is parked in a cool garage, then driven out on a warm day in stop-and-go traffic. The error may also occur when the vehicle is restarted while the engine coolant is still warm and the outside temperature has increased, again while driving in stop-and-go traffic.

The fix is to reprogram the EATC module. This corrects the outside temperature display by increasing the frequency of the sampling taken by the front ambient sensor. Here's how to go about it:

Connect a New Generation Star Tester or its equivalent to the vehicle. Using FSF card Version 6.3, select SERVICE BAY FUNCT1ONS. Next, select EATC ELECT AUTO TEMP CNTRL MODULE. Now, select MODULE CONFIGURATION. Next, select one of the following: 99 Continental, 99 Expedition, 00 Lincoln LS, 99-00 Navigator, 99 Town Car, 00 Town Car. At this point, the NGS Tester automatically finishes the software change. You'll receive a positive or negative response. If the EATC module matches the criteria on the FSF card, the NGS Tester will change the necessary data and display a positive response.
    If the EATC module has already been updated or does not meet the criteria on the FSF card, the NGS Tester will state that the change is not needed and will not reprogram the module.

The problem occurs in some 1999-2000 Expeditions, Navigators and Town Cars built through 8/31/99 and some 1999-2000 Continentals and 2000 LS models built through 10/15/99."

It's not something you can do yourself (unless you have the NGS scanner)...I posted it because I seem to remember folks complaining about erroneous readings to their dealer and getting the typical "duhhh...that's the way it is" response...now you have something to give them so they can do the fix.
  • johnnylincjohnnylinc Member Posts: 308
    Just returned from a most enjoyable lunch with "chartrand" and "andyl2". Andy & I are former co-workers, and Ray was in town on business, so we hooked up for an LS gettogether. It was a blast--nothing but LS talk the whole time. :)

We all have V8s; Ray has an '00, mine's an '01 Sport, and Andy just took delivery of his '02 Sport. We wondered if it's the first time for an owner gathering representing all three model years (outside the confines of Wixom, of course.) Ray had his digital camera, so the photographic evidence will be online when Ray gets home. If you get a chance to touch base with other owners, I highly recommend it; only the best people buy LSs! Hehheh...

(Note: We noticed that the '02 doesn't have the "LS" logo on the front fender rub strip; that's the visual clue to spotting an '02 Sport. The non-Sport '02s are easy because they have the new wheels.)
  • ls1bmw0ls1bmw0 Member Posts: 782
    Thanks xwray! I've added your note to the LLSOC FAQs section.

Brian
  • chartrandchartrand Member Posts: 139
    I love Austin but hate the drivers! Got rear ended at a traffic light after we met for lunch John. Didn't have your email so pics are with Andy. My business associate at lunch looked at us like we had four eyes. He doesn't get it - with his 175K mile Altima.
    We've got to do this again and spend more time comparing notes and the 0-60 match race.
    Ray
  • swaugerswauger Member Posts: 91
    Well, I finally saw one. Good thing I'm a touch typist as otherwise I couldn't write this, it was so ugly I still can't see right. A silver LS with a black fake convertible top and lots of chrome and gold trim. Couldn't get a close enough look for a dealer's sticker, or I'd have reported the dealer here.

Gadzooks, that gets the weekend off to a bad start!
    Aack! You were rear-ended? How much damage? On behalf of Austin, I apologize. I must agree that the drivers here are terrible. There's no lane discipline whatsoever, nobody understands what turn signals are for, and everyone's yapping on cell phones instead of paying attention to what they're doing. And a bunch are just totally clueless.

Thanks for taking the photos--Andy'll forward them to me. Next time you're in town, I'll be ready for the "exhibition of acceleration" test--purely for scientific purposes, of course.

(Note: My Email addy is in my Edmunds' profile; just click on "johnnylinc" when logged in.)

Swauger Re: Blinded. I've never seen a top-enhanced LS in the flesh, but I've seen Mark 7s AND Mark 8s with carriage tops; talk about stomach-churners. Why do people do that to LSs? It's like adding a nose ring and lip studs to the Mona Lisa...
  • karzzkarzz Member Posts: 151
    The new PAG HQ in Irvine officially opened.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=10179

If anyone is looking for a V-6 manual in Southern California, there are two in the state.

One is at Magic Lincoln-Mercury in Valencia, the other is at Alvarez Lincoln-Mercury in Riverside. Tell them the Lincoln LS Owners Club (LLSOC) sent you.

Brian
  • drolds1drolds1 Member Posts: 247
    Of course I noticed. Always enjoy your posts.

My heartiest congrats on the new addition to your family. May you derive as much parental pleasure and pride as I have from my daughter (turned 21 on 9/08-the build date of my LS. Both of them make me smile).
  • babickababicka Member Posts: 60
    Have the dealer check all the coils on plugs. I had the same problem and my dealer found a marginal coil on one of the plugs that created the ping problem.
  • wlp2wlp2 Member Posts: 13
    My 01 LS V8 is getting only 13 mpg after 3200 miles. The driving is all around town with a light foot. Is something wrong? Do I need to have this checked by the dealer? Other than this, I love the car, but at $1.50 per gallon I don't know how much longer I can afford to drive it. Help!
  • scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    That does sound low. Have you any idea of highway MPG? Anyway, don't panic quite yet. Your engine is probably not completely broken in yet. My '00 V8 showed a significant improvement, both in mileage and performance, between 4-5000 miles. Went from around 18 to over 22 in a short time (mostly highway commuting). "City driving" covers a lot of situations, too. Bear in mind, every second you're sitting at a stop light you're getting zero mpg, and it doesn't take much of that to drag the average way down. Go out and burn 1/4 tank or so on the highway (I know, tough task, but you can do it :)). You should be up around 22 mpg or so, even if the engine is still a little tight.

$1.50?! Yikes! Colorado has some of the highest gas prices in the country, but 91 octane just dropped below $1.40 here.
    These engines are really tight until at least 5K miles. I was seeing 11-12 around town and thought the same - I can't afford to drive it. Then on a 3.5K 2 week trip through Texas and New Mexico last summer, gas mileage increased with every fill up. I stated this before, but on our return leg at 85 with 4 people and a trunk full of luggage I saw a high of 27.7 on the last tank tank into Dallas with the V8.
    A year later with 25.5.K miles on ,I returned form Austin late last night. ( just a couple of chips in the bumper cover John) I drove down (200 miles in 2:10) and averaged 19.2 mpg. In 31 years of travel with my wife, this is the first car we've ever argued over as to who drives. She drove back in 3:15 with bumper to bumper for the first 25 miles and averaged 26.5 mpg. I'll gladly give up the 6 mpg difference for my "spirited driving" but it shows this car has many personalities and can be economical and aggressive all in the same package.
  • slowdriverslowdriver Member Posts: 41
    The gas milage on the V8 will increase as the engine is broken in. I got 11 mpg in local driving until about 5K miles. It slowly increased until about 12K miles. The most cost effective fix, in my humble opinion, is to replace the factory air filter with a K&N filter. They cost about $20 plus shipping, but when I replaced the filter at 15K miles, I got an immediate increase, ie. the mileage between fill ups went from 225 to 250, mostly local driving. When the car was new, the maximum mileage between fill ups was 175 miles.

• m87m87 Member Posts: 38
    Took delivery of MY02 LS8 Sport(Blk/Parchment)yesterday, and I owe the informative and enthusiastic regulars on this board a hearty Thank You! for that. Last Memorial Day weekend, I got a MY01 LS8 Sport off my dealer's lot (a late Jan 01 build) and lived some of the problems discussed here - wavy C pillars, mottled dash pad, fogged up headlight assembly, B pillar discoloration, radio that occasionally plays by itself, and a few unique issues - no, the back windows did not fall out - I never opened them after reading about them here.
    With the info found here and a responsive dealer(Heiser LM,Milwaukee,WI)all was made livable save the whine coming from the cam chains. It was bad. I saw posts from and about Jim Rodgers. After a polite but no help trip through Lincoln CRC, I Emailed Jim Rodgers in late summer. Jim teamed with Jenna Young and Anne Belec and we worked with the dealer and FoMoCo engineers. Within weeks, Jim offered up a replacement vehicle, the timing of which got extended because of MY end lack of inventory and the production slowdown in August at Wixom (I wanted an identical vehicle, dealer ordered MY02 and got the Audiophile upgrade N/C to boot).
    Jim Rodgers is a stand up guy for the customer. I hope he continues to have a strong say in the development of PAG vehicles and customer relations, because frankly the success of FoMoCo in the next 10-15 years IMHO depends largely on the success of PAG.
    The MYO2 build quality is several notches above the MY01. C Pillars are near perfect, for example, no doubt in part because of folks on this board. I am a great believer in the LS as a driver's car and it is a content/price leader in the RWD sports sedan segment.
    for sharing the good news, and for the kind words. We can be a contentious bunch sometimes (didn't someone call us "cranky" a few months back?), but we most always mean well, and we love this car.

A question for you: The '02 has the improved airbox but, unlike the V6, the V8 horsepower rating has remained the same as '00-'01. I'm very curious if there's a noticeable difference in engine performance, so once the new engine is broken in, would you post back and give us your thoughts on that?
  • stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    If you consider that the 2002 V-6 10 hp increase is credited to a combination of less retrictive mufflers and the new air box, shouldn't it logically follow that a new air box on a 2002 V-8 should result in some hp increase as well? Especially when you consider that a V-8 has higher airflow requirements than a V-6 at any given rpm. I guess we'll just have to wait for the results of a dyno test. I hope some magazine does test the 2002 V-6 Manual as I feel this has been the "invisible LS" to the mags for way too long.
    I agree, stanny. The '02 V8 hp rating is a mystery. Perhaps the previous years were somewhat generously rated, or perhaps Lincoln is deliberately underrating the '02 so that the much-rumored '03 increase makes a bigger splash. As you say, there's got to be something there. I'd sure like to hear from someone able to compare the two.

And, yeah, every magazine article I've read about the LS since it's introduction has praised the availability of the manual trans, but nobody has driven one yet!?
    that the torque rating on the '02 V8 has actually DROPPED 6 lbs-ft. from 267 to 261, while the '02 V6's torque went up to 215 (from 205) in addition to the h.p. increase. Odd...
  • tom12253tom12253 Member Posts: 110
    I now have 1,000 miles on my 2002 LS V8 Sport and my previous LS was a 2000 V8 Sport which had 24,000 miles on it when I turned it in. The only performance modification I made to both cars, was to replace the stock filter with a K&N. I don't know if an increase in HP is the only cause for the increase in performance that I have noticed, but there is a difference. The 2000 only started to burn some rubber (with Advance Trac off) after say 10,000 miles or so, on the other hand the 2002 has chirped the tires a few times already. The 2002 responds quicker when you nail it to pass, or attempt to merge into traffic. This is with only 1000 miles on it, I can't wait to see how if feels after I log a few thousand miles. (m87) What is your observation as far as any increase in performance.

Tom
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Maybe it's the mufflers that account for the power increase and the airbox mod was necessary to keep up with the increased muffler flow. If they didn't change the mufflers on the V8 that may explain it. Can't explain the torque drop though.
  • m87m87 Member Posts: 38
    scott8, I will give my impressions on performance once I have some seat time/engine break in to judge. Tom, likewise just don't have even the drive time you do yet to say if it feels quicker off the line, 60 to 80mph, etc.
    Compared to MY01, transmission does seem to shift in/out of gear (D-N-R) more quickly/positively. And while driving and still in its "adaptive" mode, sure snaps off the shifts. Haven't gone WOT, but with a fair amount of throttle tip in, holds the lower gears longer and really shifts with authority. I'm trying to "teach" it that this is not a Town Car.
  • lyons4lyons4 Member Posts: 21
  • lyons4lyons4 Member Posts: 21
    I'm interested in purchasing a LS-6 or 8 sport within the next two weeks. I present own a '95'mazda millenia. I would like some advice as to what would be a good price for one with no more then 25k miles on it. I live in Atlanta and right now across the street from were I work Frank Jackson Lincoln/Mercury is having a used car sale at Perimeter Mall's parking lot. I be stopping by there when I leave.
    I like the way this car looks & the 1st 100 comments I read has helped to want to purchase the vehicle. I'm going to print the 5721 messages here & study them a little more. Any advice would be greatly appreciated & may "GOD BLESS AMERICA".
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    that there are only two manual LS's in the state of California.

As we've all been told ad nauseum, the California economy is bigger than all but X% of the world's countries. . .and they have 2 (count 'em, two) manuals on the lots. This from Brian, who has more and better data than any of us mere mortals.

With Stan and a few others, I mourn the devaluation of the "hot rod Lincoln" with the stick shift. When I bought into the LS concept two years ago, it was because they had the manual with RWD and seemed committed to it. Well, they still have it, but. . .
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Maybe they already are collectors items! I blew it when I didn't keep my 74 Corolla SR-5, my 64 GTO with Tri-Power, and my 71 Vega GT manual. I never see these cars on the street today. Steve, we already have the LS, now we need a Caddy CTS with the Getrag because I know that one isn't going to last the first year. Meanwhile, BMW sells at least 15% of it's cars with sticks, and Lexus has allocated 20% of it's IS300 production to row boxes. The Infiniti G35 (RWD) is going the six-speed route, and I bet the Focus SVT will sell well. Maybe the LS doesn't look boy-racer enough?
    It seems that so many people have a preconcieved notion of Lincoln in general that keeps them from seeing the LS for the kind of car it truly is. I still believe a large percentage of LS customers are simply buying a smaller luxury car, period. So here's this relatively small pool of enthusiast LS owners, and a lot of us prefer the automatic and/or want the V8 no matter what.

During Mania2 the Lincoln people, especially Jonathan, used the term "Lincoln DNA", meaning the brand identity or personality, those styling and engineering characteristics that identify the marque and make it unique. The LS is at the forefront of this effort to establish the Lincoln DNA, but it's a work in progress. They're well aware that public perception of the Lincoln brand is a major obstacle to overcome.

Maybe some serious promotion of the manual LS would help to open people's eyes.
  • noshonosho Member Posts: 119
    has two problems to contend with.

1) none in dealer-ships for test driving.

2) somewhat poor low-end grunt providing a less than thrilling test drive.

This produces a chicken and egg syndrome. People test drive a manual and find it lacking (several present/former SHO owners have made such complaints here on this forum) so the manual does not sell quickly and therefore the dealers don't carry it. A manual needs an engine tuned for a manual not an automatic, and there in lies the problem.
  • lolaj42lolaj42 Member Posts: 420
    In light of the Sept. 11 tragedies and souring economy I can see why the majority of car promotions and television commercials focus on the zero percent financing. Come to think of it, I don't believe I'm seeing the cool BMW commercials as much lately either. However, at some point in time, Lincoln really needs to do a better job with the advertisements.

It seems the only people who know about the V6 manual are the folks that will ONLY buy a manual anyway, regardless of brand. If you're shopping for a manual transmission, 4-door sedan, there simply aren't that many. The people that do shop for a manual, first scour the automotive press to find the vehicle(s) that suit their needs.

Folks versed in manual transmission operation are definitely in the minority of the overall driving population in the US. An even smaller sub-set make up the enthusiast market that ONLY drive manual transmission vehicles. If Lincoln wants to make in-roads with this community, they simply must chase these people through more effective marketing. Funny, you hardly ever see a BMW TV commercial showing off the manual transmissions, yet any enthusiast knows they have 'em. Why not so with Lincoln? Scott hits the nail on the head when he points out that Lincoln has some serious image concerns to overcome.

Lincoln, if they are to be successful in redefining themselves, must do a far better job of promoting the LS as an enthusiast vehicle, complete with a Manual and/or Select Shift Transmission. In the Lincoln line-up, the LS is a VERY different car from the rest, although the average person is completely unaware of this fact. To most, Lincoln is still known for the Town Car and Continental. Lots of folks are confounded by the presence of the Navigator in the line-up . . . it's big like a Lincoln, but it's a truck (one that I, however, personally like). I think most people are just plain confused with what Lincoln is trying to do in the market, and the LS just isn't promoted in a way that distinguishes itself in any particular way. I'll bet lot's of people just think of it as a "small Town Car". You can't necessarily fault them for it, I suppose it's a natural assumption. If Lincoln wants a younger audience, and particularly attract the enthusiast, they need to do a better job at educating the masses.
  • rgnmstrrgnmstr Member Posts: 226
    As the owner of a new 2002 LS I have a question for the group regarding the adaptive transmission. What happens to the so called learning process when two very different drivers operate the car. My wife drives the car daily and drives it very conservatively. When I drive the car I tend to be a little more aggressive during acceleration etc. What does this do to the transmission? I'm not sure I fully understand what this feature does anyway. If there is one driver who might drive aggressively does the transmission develope a firmer shift? Thanks for any help.
    The owner's manual (at least for '00) gives the impression that the transmission software adapts to driving habits, but this is not the case. It adapts to the mechanical characteristics of the individual transmission, since, as mass produced mechanisms, no two transmissions are EXACTLY alike. It "learns" to make your particular transmission shift properly, and will also compensate for mechanical wear later on down the road.

I'm only repeating what I've learned here, confident someone will jump in & correct me if I've missed something or left it unclear.
  • mkovalskmkovalsk Member Posts: 114
    Scott,

You're exactly correct.

The transmission software "learns" the differences from your transmission to the programmed "ideal" transmission. It then adjust pressures to get each individual transmission to shift at the ideal pressure to create what the engineers wanted for the ideal shift.

Different drivers will not affect the adaptive. All that will happen is a conservative driver will adapt one area of function while an aggressive driver will adapt another portion of the tables. They work together, not against each other.

Mark
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Always lurking, huh? Thanks for sticking around.

Just curious - have you seen the new Mercedes 6-speed automatic? Wondering how that technology differs from the current 5-speeds (LS and other makes)? Generally speaking, of course (if you're allowed to comment at all - if not we understand). Between this and the Audi CVT it appears we're leaping into new technological territory.
  • jdonneejdonnee Member Posts: 56
    Xway did a good job of defining how to recalibate the system yet will it solve the problem where the indicated temperature is always 5-8 degrees higher than the actual ambient temperature. I have a Jan 2000 build. Mine never reads lower-always higher
    Lincoln may not be promoting the LS through advertising but the zero down, zero percent financing is doing the job. I should have taken a picture on Saturday night in our church parking lot. There were 4 identical parchment LS. Mine was the oldest as an 00 and there were 2 '01s and an 02. Seeing the people getting out of them, I can assure you they didn't buy this car for performance but rather as a mini town car. I don't care what reason they bough it for, at least that's more of them coming off the line.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    We had our first real rain of the season here in N. Cal yesterday. I had to go to the hardware store and - decided to take the long, twisty 2-lane road to get there. :>) I was flying down this very sparsely populated road, twistin and turnin and having a great time. It was wet, with some leaves and debris here and there. I tried to throw out the rear end around some 25mph corners that I was doin at 50-60 in 2nd gear. It was actually pretty difficult to toss the rear end, those Firestones sure grip tight. When I did manage to start a slide, AdvanceTrak took over and straightened the car right up. Works like a champ.

George
  • mtnhmtnh Member Posts: 19
    To get the LS recognized as a performance stand-out, why not add it as a brand to NASCAR?
    I know that when I looked under my car, all that I could think of was Winston Cup and the technology that is developed at the track and merged into production of cars and trucks.
    When I drive it, I think the same thing, from Watkins Glen to Napa Valley, and the occasional Daytona, depending on where I am driving -- either the twisties or the long straights.

Now that Dodge has come back to Winston Cup and the winner's circle, maybe Lincoln should get on the board. Heck, it would be the only rear-wheel drive stock car that works the same as the factory version of drive axle (at the top level of Nascar racing, that is).

As brand-loyal as race fans are, sales would definitely tip in the right direction, especially when folks find out just how affordable these fine cars are.
  • lsjimlsjim Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone had experiences w/their LS radio cutting out when car is moved out of Park into any other gear? Oddly, when put back into Park, the radio came back on.... Is this a sign that my car doesn't want me to drive it as hard as I have ? (8
    I'd love to see an LS in Nascar but it'll never happen in my lifetime. I'm afraid even though it may not be the case, NASCAR fans are often perceived as beer swilling, pickup truck driving, tobacco chewing zealots - hardly the market Lincoln currently warm up to with their lobster and champagne segments in their brochures.
    I want to try and get the local LS gang together and drive a few laps at Texas Motor Speedway which is the next best thing to being in a Winston Cup car. Place an Edelbrock or MOOG decal on your front fender and pretend.
  • airwolf1000airwolf1000 Member Posts: 225
    Hi Ray,

Just wanted to let you know I was thinking about doing Solo 2 next year. Its over for this year. Maybe we can try it out next year! Have an LS Contingency in Dallas! By the way how much is lap time at the speedway?

Regards,

Airwolf
    If there's enough interest we can always set it up as a Mania event.

Brian
    I don't have a clue as to the cost. I've driven there in the Petty Winston Cup cars but I also know that Corvette and Porsche clubs have driven on the track. I'll get on it right away and report back. Otherwise you're all welcome to drive my favorite section of Hwy 360.
    Ray
  • rdl40rdl40 Member Posts: 60
    Heyjewel tried your e-mail but didn't work. Try mine at rond@rplgraphics.com , leave a number so I can get in touch with you. Thanks, ron

Nosho, thanks for the 411 on the v-6 manual. I'm currently driving a '93 SHO manual with 170k and is still like a rocket out of the gate. I'll sell this car when I either buy the LS or 300M Special.
  • badazzls6badazzls6 Member Posts: 69
    Which is the better of the two exhaust systems? Magnaflow or Borla??? I'm looking for a more mellow sound thats closer to the original stock muffler with just the increased exhaust flow and increased horsepower gain.

Also, How do you open up the airbox? I took the assembly appart and couldn't figure heads or tails on opening it up any more than it is, do you have a trick???

What performance stuff does the best? I have already installed a K&N drop-in filter I'm thinking of getting a Mass AF Sensor but, don't know if its worth it. Would like to here any comments from you that have purchased it already.

On a wheel/tire point that I read up on earlier messages; I installed 18" rims w/245-40ZR tires on it and love'em; now my car will out handle practicully any car on the road except Corvettes and Porsches. That truely is my best bang-4-buck upgrade.

By the way, in age demographics; I'm only 21 yrs old and love this car as much as everyone on this site. Thank you Lincoln for this Euro challengeing
    Vehical. Kudos!!

P.S. Change out those wimpy 5x7 speakers for 6x8's
    you'll enjoy the quality time in your LS alot more. Just my 2 cents worth LOL!

Mike
    If you want a mellow sound go with the Borla. It's very unobtrusive and refined. Quite in character with the car. The Magnaflow cat-back system hasn't been completed yet so the jury is still out on the sound but I would suspect it will be throatier and more Mustang sounding.

I honestly don't know if a MAFS change out helps or not. Until you do the exhaust and airbox mods, it definitely won't be worth it. You may get more bang for your buck by putting a couple of 2-3 inch holes in the front of your airbox and replacing the stock zip tube with 3 inch PVC pipe to flow more air into the engine.
    I'd have to agree with Ray; although it would be great to see an LS in Winston Cup livery, it won't happen. It's just not the marketing direction that Lincoln would want to pursue. If we see an LS at Daytona, it's much more likely to be at the 24-hour sports-car race & built by an independent team.

I'd love to see Lincoln provide some support for the LS in a sedan series, or Trans Am, or IMSA. (Yep, they're bringing the "IMSA" name back next year in place of PCS.) Jaguar, Qvalle (now sold; the new Mangusta's dead), and Panoz were all represented in Trans Am this year; it would be neat to see Lincoln in that mix.

A few years back, then-team owner Michael Kranefuss actually built a Mark 8 Winston Cup car, but Ford told him to stop development. A request for NASCAR approval of a particular car has to come from the manufacturer, and Ford refused to pursue it.

In case anyone's interested, here's a link to a photo of & article about the Mark 8 stocker; wouldn't that have been a hoot? Kranefuss even kept the hump on the trunk. :)

http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/nascar.htm

• glenns3glenns3 Member Posts: 25
    Has anyone tried or heard of someone trying a 2002 muffler with a 00 or 01 car with the airbox mods? The borla is probably better, but I bet a 2002 muffler is a lot cheaper. I wonder how they compare for performance, sound, and value.
  • slunarslunar Member Posts: 479
    Other than a few exceptions, NASCAR in the 60's & early 70's, Merkur's and Cougars in the TRANSAM, Ford's racing policy has been to put the "Ford" label on its race cars. A notable recent exception was to change the Stewart-Ford F1 cars to Jaguars. This decision to race Jaguars was most likely due to the realization that if Ford wants Jaguar to compete head to head with BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc. that Jaguar must have a racing / performance image, like those competitors have.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that Ford / PAG has yet realized that to have Lincoln appeal to younger buyers and compete more directly with BMW, Audi and the likes it too needs a racing & performance image. Lincoln decals have appeared on the Rob Dyson Racing, Ford powered sports prototype race cars in 2001 but so far no one from Lincoln has publicly acknowledged the Lincoln decals on the cars. This makes me think that the Lincoln decals on the Dyson Cars are 1. There to give heartburn to the Cadillac sports racing teams. 2. An unofficial back door Lincoln support effort. 3. That Lincoln marketing is confused and has no idea what it is doing.

Being a life long sports car / road racing fan it is my hope that since Jaguar gets F1, and the beer belly customers (NASCAR, Drag, off-road) get the Ford label, that Lincon will get to use sports car racing to build a youth & performance image. Then again with Ford's current financial crisis and Lincoln's 3 way split personality (Is a Lincoln a truck, is a Lincoln still a rolling living room or is a Lincon a fun to drive performance sports sedan?) I'm not counting on anything.
    Once you see that puny 1.5" pipe going into the stock muffler, and you see the sewer pipe like 2.25" Borla tubing or even the 2" or so V-8 pipe, you'll want the Borla. For some reason, LM put a reducer at the end of each cat and reduced the pipe diameter to 1.5" on the V-6 models. The Borla pipes restore and even improve flow volume. In addition to probably lower restriction than even 02 mufflers can offer, the Borla set-up adds the X-box which is tuned at the torque peak.
    You can hear all that come together at between 3500 and 4000 rpm. I think the Magnaflow was louder inside the car than outside the car. Definitely not polite. I think Alex Borla did a great job on tuning this application because it is almost transparent at cruise rpm. As a result, you are just one downshift on the freeway from being noticed and nasty. The Borla has a nice "burble" at idle as well, more in character with the performance of the car. Just my opinion as a 53 year old gearhead having his 2nd teenagehood.
  • karzzkarzz Member Posts: 151
    According to Reitzle, looks like Lincoln may get a four door convertible.

go to the last two paragraphs of this linked article:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4380&sid=175&n=156