Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Minivan Transmission Problems

Comments

• dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    There were some other upgrades that should be in the new replacement unit, including upgraded solenoid packs and increased fluid flow to the overdrive unit.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • sodak2sodak2 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1996 Plymouth Voyager with 117,000 miles. The vehicles is almost trouble free. I bought it in Oct. 1996 with 21,000 miles. In the last year (2003 to present)I have experienced a "Wiggle" from 35mph to 55mph. The entire car "Wiggles". It stops wiggling at the speeds noted when I let off the gas. Therefore, I assume its drive train related not a bent wheel (which have been checked). I have been to four different shops. shop 1 checked the axles; O.K.. They recommended a trans shop (Shop 2). Trans shop said that transmission was bad. They said it makes noise at 35mph. I road tested the vehicle with the mechanic. Could not hear the noise. went to another trans shop (shop 3). The mechanic and I road tested the vehicle. The mechanic did not hear the noise either. He felt that the motor mounts might need to be replaced. Finally went to shop 4. Shop 4 felt that motor mounts are O.K. They did not know what the problem is without further diagnoses. I do not want to throw darts trying to find the problem. That is to costly. Does anyone know what the problem is. Please post your input.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Much as I like to stay away from dealer service departments, this could be one for them, as they see a lot of the same vehicles over and over and maybe can diagnose it better than Joe's Garage.

Otherwise, problem could be something like a tire carcass problem, bent wheel, balance issue, maybe bad CV joint, wheel bearing, etc, etc. I certainly wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it is a transmission problem as it may be something much more simple and inexpensively fixed.
  • jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    I have a 2002 GC with the 3.3L and 71,000 miles. It has been great, but the last few months I've been hearing a whining sound, almost like the wind whistling. I hear it most around 2300 RPM, and it varies as I adjust the accelerator. A couple other factors...it doesn't act up when the engine is cold, or when RPMS are above 3000RPM or when the engine is rapidly accelerating. You can hear it change pitch with the transmission switches gears. It is particularly loud when in 3rd gear.

This is a leased company vehicle, and I am considering purchasing it next month. Should I be concerned? I have a company maintenance plan, and am going to try again to get the issue identified. My gut feeling is it is the torque converter. Any ideas or suggestions? This is my 4th company van, but my first time with possible tranny trouble.
    Is this problem intermittent/

Does it change with temperature?

Regards,
    Dusty
    A couple of things. Transmission whine related to engine speed is associated with low AT fluid. What you describe sounds more like transmission pump noise than torque converter, although thats still a possibility.

Transmission pump noise is most often related to a clogged transmission filter or resistance to flow in the cooling lines (cooling tank gummy, pinched transmission lines, loose transmission lines allowing vibration, etc.).

If the transmission has never been serviced (changed filter and fluid flush), nows the time.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Thanks for the feedback. The noise seemed to start right after I had the tranny serviced (flushed, new filter)a few months ago. I had it serviced at a Chryslyer dealership, so I doubt they used the wrong fluid. I will get it serviced again and see if that helps.

Thanks again!
  • sodak2sodak2 Member Posts: 4
    Dustyk asked if wiggle problem was intermittent and if it was effected by temperature. The answer is no. the wiggle occurs all the time and it is always the same. Vehicle temp. and air temp. do not effect it. It is not a bad wheel. This has been confirmed. The trans. shifts properly. It goes from "park" to "drive" properly. No weird sounds coming from the trans., engine, or axles. Please help if you can.
    Well, the dealer looked at my van today and said the sound was not the transmission. The mechanic said it was the Alternator, and they will replace it this week. I'll let you know if that eliminates the noise.
  • rg144rg144 Member Posts: 4
    Same as my post #363. I asked a tranny guy. It's really a "shudder" not a wiggle. It is the torque converter slipping. When you get up to cruising speed the trans goes from pushing fluid to direct conversion of torque at the torque converter. To do that two surfaces mate. In a old trans it can slip, ie. the shudder. It's likely due to shellac like coating. He said best bet is to get fresh fluid but that's about it other than rebuilding. Also when changing fluid he said not only to drain it, but also pump out what is in the torque converter (there are links on the web if you want to do it yourself).
    I am thinking of using Valvoline ATF for older cars and hoping it has extra detergents to clean it. It's about twice as expensive. I'll post results later.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "I am thinking of using Valvoline ATF for older cars and hoping it has extra detergents to clean it. It's about twice as expensive. I'll post results later."

Ummm, I think you would be much better off with the standard issue Mopar ATF. There have been entirely too many clutch slippage issues with Chrysler transmissions that were using non-Mopar stuff.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Please consider using the appropriate Chrysler spec ATF+3 or +4 only. Your transmission will appreciate it in the long run!
  • birdman14birdman14 Member Posts: 3
    93 grand voyager trans was rebuilt at 65K (torque conv), now has 155K and new trans problems. Twice last week with cold start and while in drive the trans slipped into neutral. then worked OK after coaxing into gear. This morning, same thing only now trans won't shift, engine runs at high rpms. Is there a simple diagnosis and is the fix high $?
    I mean, 90,000 miles may be the useful life of the transmission under some circumstances. I would start with a fluid and filter changes with the correct fluid type, and hope for the best.
    use is 50/50 road and city, and trans maintenance spotty to nonexistent I'm sad to say. Hope you are correct. Your recomendation is requested on the fluid (Chrysler ATF 3 or 4?) and is it temp dependent, like motor oil? Gets hot down in Texas.
    ...temperature dependent, but the transmission type. ATF+3 is conventional, while ATF+4 is synthetic, and thus offers longer life. However, 1999 and older A604/41TE Chrysler transmissions use ATF+3 only, while newer than 1999 use ATF+4. I am not sure, but the three speed transmissions use Dexron III fluid.

(I am assuming that you have a 4-speed transmission.)
    use is 50/50 road and city, and trans maintenance spotty to nonexistent I'm sad to say. Hope you are correct. Your recomendation is requested on the fluid (Chrysler ATF 3 or 4?) and is it temp dependent, like motor oil? Gets hot down in Texas.
  • olizerolizer Member Posts: 38
    Sodak, I've got a '96 Chrysler T&C, 78K, religiously self maintained by the big book and more.. (As an aside - I've had nothing but Chrysler products in my lifetime [retired] and I don't think I'll ever have another. Read on). The extended warranty ran out last year but prior to that I had a "wiggle" shimmy which started at 68 mph and got worse as speed progressed, but not so much that the car could not be driven. I had the wheels balanced four times, alignment, rotated tires, new rotors, new tires, new half shafts, new hub bearings, transmission serviced and even went so far as to switch wheels with another T&C. NO GOOD. Zone rep (ha,ha - kid out of college who knew nothing)looked and said the service manager would take care of it. After all the above the service manager said to me - "we've done all we can - I can't think of another thing to do." Now it begins to shimmy at 40 mph. I myself have never done a half shaft job but am wondering if the transmission has some type of bearing race where the half shaft enters and that is defective. Anyone have any other ideas. I'm looking for a new mini-van in late autumn but would like a summer of shimmy less driving.
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    birdman14, I'd check for low transmission fluid - and change fluid and filter.
    olizer, I'd take your problem and work report to an independent allignment shop or two until I found a person with a recommendation that made sense to follow. I would think a dynamic evaluation looking at the axles and wheels spinning might get to the source. Roy
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I recently purchased a 97 Caravan Sport 3.3L salvaged vehicle with 19,000 actual miles. Service history was sketchy so I had it checked out by a reputatable local tranny shop. There was no detectable abnormalities on the road test. There were no error codes & the CVIs were normal. However, there was a "small beard" of metal filings on the pan magnet and the filter had some clutch material and 6-8 discernable metal shavings and twice as many small silver flakes in it. The tranny folks were pretty non-commital about how serious this was. I had the tranny flushed & refilled with ATF-3.

Does this suggest doom is likely in the next 10,000 miles or might it be good for another 30 -60K with TLC and changing the tranny filter & fluid 18,000 miles (2 years driving for me)?

Now I am debating whether I should keep this for my intended use of my about town vehicle & outdoor activity rig. Also, I expect to tow a 1,900 lb boat 6-12 times per year. Most towing trips will be less than 60 miles one way (most less than 20) with one or two 300 mile trips over the Washington Cascades.

On one hand I do not want to put sink a lot of money into it such as new tires (the 7 year old originals are about to fall apart due to dry rot), a tranny cooler, and tow hitch if the tranny is going to fail in another 10,000 miles.

On the other hand I figure I only paid $6,200 for it, everything else seems to be in pretty good shape and what if I have to put $700 into upgrades and $2K into the tranny -- it is still very low mileage & still be a good deal even if the tranny needs work.

What do ya'll think?
    Well, I got the van back today after the dealer replaced the alternator. They assured me that the whine was gone. I drove home and sure enough, after the engine warmed up, the whining was back. The mechanic doesn't think it is the tranny, since the van also makes the noise when you rev it in neutral. It will go back to the shop tomorrow!
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Have you had the Idler Arm/Belt Tensioner checked. The one on our 1998 got a rather noisy after 70K miles or so.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • yrnehyrneh Member Posts: 5
    Man, after owning a problem free (except the famous head gasket of oil pan) 95 Neon, I bought a 01 Voyager thinking that I could get a good value. I got 160,000 miles out of Neon in 6 years. After 75,000 miles, my voyager needs a new transmission. Worse thing is that I missed their 7/100 warranty incentive by 4 weeks. I bought mine in October, 2001 and the warranty incentive began in November. I called Chrysler for a good will repair, but they turned me down citing high mileage. I'm still upside down so trade in for another vehicle seems unlikely at this point. What should be my next action? Should I continue to fight for coverage? If so, what to do next? Write letter, call everyday? If not, should I get my van fixed at the dealership and add more money to their pocket or get it fixed at local tranny shop? I would really appreciate any advice...
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    Dan(204meca),Your odds of major repair/failure seem above the average of 1/6 per year I expect to see in the April '04 Consumer Report Auto issue. On the other hand, a good rebuilt transmission will serve you well and you might beat the odds. I have with a '95 Caravan purchased used with 48K and 5 years and 55k later is doing fine with certain care and operating rules: Drain and fill once a year, OD off in city driving, an auxillary cooler, etc. Roy
    I'll mention the tensioner to the mechanic. I just had a new one put on my mom's '98 caravan last month at 105,000 miles. Just had a foot of snow here today, so I won't make it to the mechanic until tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted.
    OK, 7176 fluid is in it now and no wiggle reported in a week. In an attempt to save on the $13/gallon at the dealer, I went to a trans shop to see if they had it (Pep Boys et al do no carry Mopar). They said sure, bring in a empty container but it was 7176 "equivalent"! My mechanic friend said his shop puts in what is on the dipstip (in this case it says 7176). So beware.
    This is my 3rd Chrysler van, all purchased as used cars - I give them 4 stars. The 4 cyl '85 has 140K, we towed a pop-up camper, only lost it's head gasket around 100K. The engine smokes and it's plain out of style so it's parked at the end of the driveway and I use it as a shed. My '91 had 10K on the OD tranny when I got it. I used it 2 years and sold it when the trans started get a little noisy. Then this 3-speed '96. We liked them all - we're satisfied. Maybe the moral of the story is definitely get an extended warranty on a used GC with OD transmission.
    But we miss the old VW bus days. Over the eyars we had 2 of them and one VW camper. We were camping near Woodstock NY when I started losing power going up hills. While my wife was in the laundramat I was pocking around inside the engine compartment and traced it to the needle valve had fallen out of the left carb. Just walking by a girl asked if I was having trouble with it. I said I needed a part - she said she had a junk VW around the corner and I could have anything I needed off it. We went over to the van which had curtains in the windows and she told me to wait as she knocked on the the VW bus - she said she rented it out to 2 guys who lived in it. They weren't "home" and I got my needle valve. (True story).
    So to those who want risk-free, trouble-free living - it doesn't happen, and like my VW experience, makes life interesting. Instead get smart, know your options, then decide. Proverbs 4:7-8 says: Wisdom is the prime thing. Acquire wisdom; and with all that you acquire, acquire understanding. Highly esteem it, and it will exalt you.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Great story! I had way more trouble with my '69 Bus that I did with my '89 Voyager, but it's hard to beat an old VW van for character.

Steve, Host
  • dougd7dougd7 Member Posts: 71
    For the 3 speed trannies, ATF+3 is stilled the preferred fluid. Dexron III can be used in the older 3 speeds without the electronic lockup feature. 3 speeds with the electronic lockup should use ATF+3.
  • candlemaker2candlemaker2 Member Posts: 67
    Our 2003 Caravan (2 months old ) is in the shop yet again ( last time was 3 weeks ago)for a leaking transmission. This time the transmission fluid is down to the add fluid level. The last time it was in I was told it was because I dive it when it is cold outside. Well yes, this is Canada after all ! I can't stay home from work just because it is cold outside !
    Anyone know the lemon laws for Canada?
    Don't feel bad - the Dodge/Chrysler mechanics go to the same alibi school. My Chrysler guy told me that my fuel pump went bad twice in 50K because I didn't use middle grade gas. I use regular. This one is the best though. As explained above I have a very noticeable vibration that starts at 68 mph. The Chrysler mechanic said that the highest "speed limit in NJ is 65mph" and that if I stayed under the limit the van wouldn't vibrate. I told him that I often visit my son in NC where the speed limit is 70. he told me to then have a dealer in NC look at the problem. Says I - "you sold me the van and you don't know how to fix it but you think that some NC dealer who doesn't know me from Adam is going to get involved in this problem?"
    My apologies to you folks fopr not posting sooner.

If the wiggle is there all of the time, does it ever go away when you take your foot off of the accelerator pedal at speed? What happens if you slip the transmission into neutral at road speed?

Torque converter shudder is usually noticeable only during acceleration.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    Thanks for the post. That one does win for sure !
    Unfortunately, if they say such stupid things to our faces, what the heck are they doing to our vans, behind our back. I have only 3,500 km(approx 2,000 miles) on the thing and the transmission is leaking???? for the second time yet! If they are not going to stand up to the Canadian cold, then they should not sell them here. If I have this much trouble already, what do I have to look forward to? I am trying to find out about lemon laws here in Alberta where I live.
    If anyone knows where to search, please pass along the URL, thanks.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    I would see if the dealer would put that excuse on the repair order, I think that would win the case for you.
  • sxt4mesxt4me Member Posts: 7
    jpedler, Did your whining noise ever get resolved?. We have had a similar noise coming from our brand new 04 SXT Grand Caravan. Started @ 200 miles. Our sound is constant in all gears, including neutral, louder when cold, and primarily while coasting. Whe gas peddle is pushed, whining noise dissipates substantially. Dealer says tranny probably needs to be opened up and they might be able to shift the sound to a higher gear (so they say) but it is not a matter of which gear since the sound is in all gears. We will be down at least a week with the Van in the shop. Anyone else ever hear of this problem with a brand new Caravan?
    I have to go pick up the van when it is fixed. If they say that again, I will ask them to include that comment on the work order.
    I called Chrysler Customer care this morning and opened a file on the van. I was told that Chrysler was responsible for getting the van working as it is expected to work. I was also told that if they can't find anything wrong, it is considered fixed. We have also noticed that the PRNDL indicators all light up together at times. I have told them to check this also. Will post again once I find out what is what.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Did you check to see if the belts needed to be replaced? Sometimes it can be the simplest things that need to be fixed.
    Believe it or not, they did put on the work order that it was a power steering cooler hose clamp that stretched and that is was caused due to extreme cold . I wish I was able to post the work order for all to see.
    The shudder happened to me going up hills and when accelerating. Taking foot off pedal and immediately accelerating again was all that was required. My mechanic said it's because you disengage the TC when decelerating or tapping brake (electric sensor) and it will re-engage when at cruising speed again.

A few months before I had drained the tranny (my fluid had gone low due to loose pan bolts and what was left was toast) and topped off with a dexron III (in ignorance I did not purge the whole system) - don't remember the flavor but probably Pep Boys.

Do not recommend the Neutral maunever. Rather find the root of the problem. Try new 7176 fluid, filter and the two band adjustments first. If you don't take it to a Chrysler dealer, make sure your tranny shop will use the right stuff (someone said get them to put it in writing on the receipt).
  • t12slowt12slow Member Posts: 1
    My first time here and I've been reading all night and now am so confused I'm not sure where to start. I'd just like some straight opinions if you don't mind.

My '96 DGC w/140k miles on it - I've customized the interior in order to use for my work (I own an entertainment company and have installed a wood floor and ramps) and planned when I got it a year and a half ago to keep it forever and just fix things when they need fix'd. I've noticed that it uses a little tranny fluid here and there (I did have the tranny flushed and new filter after I bought it along with regular oil changes). I'm hearing noises that I'm not sure are separate issues or all leading to the same problem. The last few weeks I hear a "hammering" effect, sounds like it's coming from under the dash (passenger side) when I turn the heat on. Also, a problem since I've had since I purchased the van is FINDING heat! I have to wiggle the heat control back and forth until I finally get heat (don't seem to have any probs with AC in the summer, though).

This past week I was driving to town and it didn't want to shift out of 2nd gear on the highway--drove straight to an oil change place and they found it was a quart low/tranny fluid and topped it off--ran fine. Two days later I hear a loud scraping sound (you can feel it when your foot is on the accelerator), seems to happen just after turning (but then again it happens sometimes when I'm driving forward, too). A day later I'm hearing a whining/whistling (sounds like in the dash?), seems to get higher when I accelerate. This scraping and whining has become increasingly worse in just a few days.

I'm being told by my mechanic that my tranny is about to go out and needs rebuilt. When I came here to read up on this I'm getting scared to death. Does this sound like tranny rebuild to you guys or something else? Along with the other problems, and since I've pretty much destroyed my van for resale value, what are your suggestions for keeping it vs trading it in? The van is paid for, and I really DON'T want a car payment right now. I realize I'm probably looking at rebuilding the engine in another 50k miles or so as well(?).
    I'm also reading to be sure (if I have it rebuilt) to use 7176 or ATF+3 fluid, right? Does this even sound like a rebuild to you or should I go for a flush/service first?

Please guide me in the right direction. I'm a female and am sooooo use to getting ripped off by mechanics and don't want to pay such big $$ for a rebuild if that's not what I need. I appreciate your advice (thanks! And sorry for such a long post!).
    Keep in mind that whether the van is a Dodge, Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda or something else, a transmission rebuild is not uncommon at the age and mileage of yours.

It's hard to say what the issue is with it now, but since your problem has started soon after a filter change and flush, it makes me wonder if they used Dexron-Mercon fluid.

Pre-'99 electronic four-speed transmissions did have a few maladies that can be resolved by upgrade at rebuilding time. If the vehicle is in good condition otherwise, I wouldn't be afraid of investing in a competent rebuild. This might be the time to trust a Chrysler-Dodge dealer. They should pull some diagnostic codes first before giving you an estimate.

As to the engine, I've seen a number of Dodges with well over 200,000 miles on them and still running well. I don't think you are in for a engine rebuild soon unless it appears its using an unreasonable amount of oil.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    I appologize for asking on this site, but there aren't any "plymouth reliant" sites - imagine that!
    Anyway, my elderly mother's '88 Reliant K is showing signs of automatic transmission failure. It's a 4 cylinder with 80K miles. (trouble free till now). She reports that it "doesn't go when she puts it in gear, like it should"! I've noticed a "jerk" when putting it in reverse and hesitation when putting it in drive, but I haven't been able to drive it for myself for a few weeks, but I suspect that she's correct and things are getting worse. She puts very few miles on it (less than 2,000 per year).

Question is this: What should a transmission rebuild cost on a car like this?? And, should it be done by the local Chrysler dealer or are the needed parts available for any reputable mechanic?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try the Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion too, Toydriver.

Steve, Host
  • dougd7dougd7 Member Posts: 71
    Have you checked (or had it checked) the transmission fluid level? Symptoms are consistent with low fluid level. Your mother's 88 Reliant with the 4 cylinder (probably a 2.2L) has the A413 3 speed transmission that historically are very reliable (it's based off the old 727 TorqueFlite). A fluid & filter change would be a good idea also. The bands can be adjusted at that time also.

Any reputable mechanic should be able to R&R this transmission. The trick is finding a good reputable mechanic.

If another tranny is needed a used tranny can be installed. I did this on my 92 Acclaim (a K-car descendant) for about $500 - $250 for the tranny and $250 for labor.

Doug
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    Appreciate the input. I'll try the tranny service first and see what happens.
  • warpafwarpaf Member Posts: 1
    Greetings all!
    In the race for "vans with the most convenience options", things seem to be heating up quite a bit. It appears that the '05 T&C is sneaking ahead of the '04 Sienna for 1st place (more fold flat seating). However there is the whole reliability reputation that needs to be addressed. Edmunds nor Consumer Reports has rated the '05 T&C yet. Does anyone have some knowledge on whether of not Chrysler has attacked this bad reputation?
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Chrysler's reliability (maybe not their reputation) has improved significantly over the past few years. Hence the 7/70 powertrain warranty. They wouldn't offer it if their products were breaking at 40,000 miles consistently. Most of the problems you read about on this board are of the 90's generation products.
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    I reviewed many of the transmission failure problems on this forum and it seems they are virtually all for V6 equipped vans. The 4 cylinder with 3 speed is not that uncommon, is it? Are they a lot more reliable? I am referring to vans 96 and newer.
    I don't think Chrysler has put a 4 clinder engine with a 3 speed tranny in a mini-van in at least 10/12 years.
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    The 4 cylinder with 3 speed was produced up throuogh 2002. They changed to a 4 speed with the 4 cylinder in 2003.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    If I remember correctly, the 1996 Caravan with 4 cylinder engine also had a four speed transmission. A three speed was only used on the Mitsubishi 3 litre V-6.

I doubt if there are very many 4 cylinder Caravans sold then or now.