Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• prodj49prodj49 Member Posts: 5
    I'm going to buy a 86 prelude and I was wondering what the horsepower would be if no modifications were done to the car?
    Anyone know where I could buy a colored valve cover for an 86 prelude?
    gmercury im getting the same car and i have the same questions
  • hammydudehammydude Member Posts: 3
    this forum confuses me
  • hammydudehammydude Member Posts: 3
    that seems like terrible gas mileage
  • 86prelude86prelude Member Posts: 1
    I am the original owner of a 1986 Honda Prelude 2.0 SI. The car has about 75,000 miles on it. The body is in good shape with two rust spots near the rear window corners. I just recently started to have some problems and now I'm being pressured to get rid of the car (by my wife who thinks the car is unsafe). It has three problems:
    1. The rack and pinion is leaking power steering fluid, about 16 oz every 2 weeks, ($600 parts and labor); The engine will not start on hot days if the engine is hot (mechanic thinks it is the fuel relay), and the ratchet on the emergency brake needs some work. The total for the last two items is about $400. Otherwise the car has never had any serious problems. It has a new timing belt, new tires, new brakes, new exhaust system, and the engine always runs fine. The total for repairs will be about $1100 to get these problems fixed. I really like the car, and after 20 yrs. have trouble letting it go. Does anyone think these repairs can be done significantly cheaper? If not, is there a market for this car? My plan would be to put it on ebay and see what happens (listing the problems).
  • onekewljenonekewljen Member Posts: 1
    Hello--My daughter bought a 93 Prelude for her first car a few months ago and now the air conditioner went out. It is blowing hot air. Also, the heater is blowing hot air even when on cool. Any suggestions what this could be? There is freon in the air conditioner and there are no leaks. Could this be a switch? The car is a salvage (we got it for dirt cheap) due to the dash being stolen. There is a brand new dash board and the kid we bought it from had said that sometime the air conditioner didn't work. Help! It is 113% degrees here and she can't drive it. She is gettin her license on 8/15/06. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I really don't have the money to take it to a shop and I am not convinced it is the compressor.

Thanks!

Jenny
  • thexchadxthexchadx Member Posts: 1
    Is there a product out there to convert the open space under the CD player into a lockbox?
  • katiej2katiej2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello! I am so glad to see another Prelude owner with my same model! I LOVE my '86 2.0 Si though some people think I am a little crazy with it. My boyfriend and I even did body work on it last summer to repair the rust (which of course returned in a lesser state). I paid 1500 for mine two years ago at 112K miles and have put over 30K miles on it. The only problems I have had with my car relate to rust - i.e. I had holes in the gas tank which my mechanic patched, and when I had to do the axles I had to replace the rusty control arms because the first mechanic I went to couldn't get around them and screwed them up trying to. My Lude runs great and is fun to drive and quick. I haven't had any problems with the car not starting, ever. I have only fixed regular wearing out parts. Just recently though it has started to make a noise when steering - very sharp turns i.e. pulling into a parking space. I am wondering if it's a rack and pinion thing - any insight on this? My mechanic checked everything underneath... wasn't the ball joints or tie rods. Let me know what you think - I have never done any power steering work on a car either, have no idea what that costs though I do have a great mechanic. However like you I have issues with how much money I am willing to spend on this car as I would like to retire it next spring and just keep it as a second car. I paid 1500 bucks for it and see no reason to get rid of it! People in the know love the Prelude, as do Honda freaks... esp. if yours has no rust I would never get rid of it! I actually had a mechanic offer to buy it from me when I wasn't sure what to do with the control arms problem. As he said "you don't see many of those anymore!"

Thanks,

Katie
    It is rust free and the owner put in a brand new transmission where I could get a colored valve cover for it?
  • prelude97prelude97 Member Posts: 6
    If ya would like to see a few shots of my brand new used Prelude...check it out--> http://www.msnusers.com/teamcommando/shoebox.msnw
  • prelude97prelude97 Member Posts: 6
    ..Theres a nice red one on E-bay right now for like $97.00 & 14.00 shipping....
  • pointatobpointatob Member Posts: 30
    Hi Jenny,

i have a 93 prelude vtec - my a/c has only worked intermittently for the last 2-3 years. the compressor will turn on for about 5 min or so, and then turn off for about 15 minutes. this cycle seems to repeat over and over. not sure if this year is prone to these problems, but if you really need a/c, i would recommend going to a honda dealer that can diagnose the problem. the cost will probably be $70 - $100, but if you decide to get it fixed, they'll usually apply the diagnostic fee to the repair.

does the green LED light up when you press the a/c button? if not, trying blowing compressed air around the button to see if it is just a dirty or corroded contact.

hope this helps!
    b-from-a
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,413
    So I must of driven over one of many of our road imperfections tonight on my way home from work (after I spent all day in the almost 100 degree heat with no AC at work) because my car started tugging a little bit to the right. Some guy pulls next to me while I'm processing this in my head and points to my right front tire. "It's Flat" he yells! So I drove for another 5 miles until I found a safe place to pull over. Get out and inspect...YUP it is flat! I call AAA and they tell me they'll be there in a half hour. While waiting, I popped open the trunk, took out the spare tire and tools and wanted to see what I was really made of. Well, I successfully changed my tire. Now I've got to order 2 new tires to replace my one flat tire. I am damn impressed with myself!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• timothyawtimothyaw Member Posts: 148
    Great job, even with the 100 degree heat!
    OK, so I drove for abput 10 minutes with the doughnut on and then the car started to shake above 40mph. I made it to a place to put air in the tires and pumped some air into the car. Today I got the flat tire plugged (found out it went flat because the plug that was put there popped out) temporary so I could drive my car to and from work tomorrow. Took off the spare. Put the standard wheel back on. Now somoething sounds like it is rubbing when I drive. What did I do? My 2 new tires are coming tomorrow, but still I'd like to know.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jmcmbzjmcmbz Member Posts: 43
    I just test drove a 2000 Prelude w/ manual trans and No modifications. The car has only 35K original miles and looks practically brand-new inside. It drove extremely well, very smooth and tight. They are asking 14.9K for the car but it needs tires and there are three small dings on the passenger side. Otherwise the only issue I have is that it is black (I like black but LOVE silver) and non-SH. I do like to drive mountain roads and have fun but for the most part it will be a second car for me to have fun buzzing around town in on the weekends (and to save miles on my lease car). Does anyone think I'll miss the "SH" and what is a decent price for this car? I was thinking of offering 12K cash as it's a non-certified and the oldest car they have on the lot and needs tires (basically KBB fair value). The worse they can do is say no . Any advice? I've always loved Preludes (have owned several Accords) and currently have a 5-Series BMW for my daily driver. This Prelude also has a clean CarFax report, two previous owners and looks like was traded in on 7/19/06.
    Even though the car only has 35K miles on it, it is still 6 years old (almost 7 now). They are definitely asking a lot for the car. I see no reason they wouldn't take you $12 grand for it. Tires for the car are cheap. Whatever you do, don't buy another set of the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE92s that came on the car. I recommend Yokohama AVS ES100 that I purchased from tire rack for about $80 a piece. Go with the base model (non SH) and you still get the same suspension setup. Plus if you even have to put a clutch in, I guarantee you will thank higher powers you got the standard Prelude.

If you liked your accords, you'll love the Prelude. It is truly a fantastic car. I have a 2001 Prelude Type SH with over 71,000 miles on it that I bought new in April 2002. It is so well put together, handling is phenomenal, it is a good road car for distance traveling... Think FWD BMW made in Japan.

What kind of 5er do you have? E39 or E60?

• jmcmbzjmcmbz Member Posts: 43
    Thanks for the advice. I'm definately thinking the non-SH model will be fine for me and save money if it needs a clutch. Besides, it handled great as far as I'm concerned. I love BMW AND Honda's. I currently have the E60 525i (my significant other has an 06 Accord EX V6-Nav) so I'm already kind of spoiled. I love BMW but I did not get the sport package or higher HP 530i but it had all the luxury options (Nav, Sat radio, Htd seats etc..) and was about 4K less expensive than the 530i(was pushing my budget as it was). But, coming from and E46 330i w/sport pkg it's definately down on the fun factor from what I was used to. My other reasoning is that I'm going to be WAY over the miles on my lease so a second car will help that. So, I either get a fun second car like this Prelude or not keep the Bimmer much longer. I'm actually lusting over the new 335i coupe. 300hp Twin Turbo!But I do like the larger size of the E60 and the Steptronic transmission for my 3 plus hours per day in the car (typical for So. Cal) Anyway, still thinking over the Prelude. It was pretty flawless and sweet driving. It actually felt like a decent torque curve despite the high reving nature of the engine. Shifting was flawless as well. I have also been looking out for a ten year old or so Z car but I don't know if I trust the car mechanically as much as Honda or the previous owners driving it for that matter! Esp, the turbo. BTW, the Prelude has good tires (Michelin Pilot Exalto's) but they are down to the bars and have crackling around the edges. I'll check out the Yoko's if I get it. Hmmm, should I? !!!!!!! If it was silver I would have bought it on the spot!
  • 86lude2086lude20 Member Posts: 1
    does any one know where i can get preformance parts.. all i can find is an air intake ... i know there is not alot i can do with this engine.. but i want to do all ican for cheap.. lol myc ar is hardly in good condition i bought it when i was living in chciago and it is rusted all to hell ..i just want to make it as fast as i can before it breaks in two... oh and i lost my fifth gear while i was driving down here .. sucks! so now its a 4 speed . haha jk
    Black Preludes are nice. Especially in So Cal...it is like the fountain of youth for cars there. But go back and read any of my posts during the past few years...I love my Prelude!

Sports package is definitely the way to go as far as BMWs go. MY Mom has an '05 (225hp) 530iA without the sports package. My parents didn't go for it at the time because BMW made you buy active steering with the Sports Package. It is still a really nice driving road car. It has great steering and balance.

Anyone know where I could get a body kit for an 86 prelude?
    in light of all the recent uproar over gas prices, i decided to check my mileage on my 93 prelude vtec (which i hadn't done in a couple of years). my last 2 tanks i've gotten 29, and 30 mpg respectively. this is mostly highway miles, but also with a fair amount of time stuck at traffic lights as well. pretty sweet for a (almost) 14 yr old car!

by the way, i've been putting in 87 octane now for nearly 3 yrs, with no (apparent) noticeable performance difference.

maybe i'll buy a new civic si sedan to replace my prelude...? hmmm... any thoughts?
    That's pretty good mileage. I average about 23-24 mpg in the summertime. YOur '93 VTEC weighs less than my '01 Type SH.

Maybe when gas comes down a little (ha ha), try a few tankfuls of 93 and see what happens. Maybe because your car has OBD-I computers it doesn't get affected by the lower octane :confuse:

The new Civic Si is cool. You get lots of features for your money. A great engine and chassis (I've read). I'm just not in love with it though. Drive it and let us know what you think. How come you're thinking of getting rid of the Prelude...troubles or just want something different?

So for about the last month or so my car has been making a buzzing noise at around 2700 - 3000 rpm. I hear it A LOT especially when I'm driving with my windows down (often in the summer). Rattles and nosies drive me CRAZY. So I took the car to the Speed & SOund shop where I had my Pioneer Head Unit w/ SIRIUS radio, iPod adapter, Apexi World Sport Exhaust, & most recently 2 new Yokohama AVS ES100 tires installed. The guy who owns the place knows A TON about cars. He has a heavily modified S2000.

He diagnosed the rattling noise as coming from a portion of the gasket beneath the valve cover that has rotted away. It is also leaking a tiny bit of oil. He said he could fix it, but also advised doing a tune-up (change spark plugs), changing the timing belt & water pump just as a preventative measure while the have the valve cover open. He also told me I should put headers (I declined).

So I'm going to get an estimate from him for all this work and probably give him the car for a day sometime next week.

I guess the time and mileage for the valve gasket is about up. Are you going to the Honda dealer to price these services?
    The dealer was unable to diagnose the rattling problem the last time I brought the car in. He's going to tell me that I don't need to change the timing belt & tensioner until 90,000 miles and that the Spark Plugs are still good until 105,000 miles. The recommened services are guidelines...YMMV.

So on Wednesday (Tuesday night), my Prelude is going in for open heart surgery. The Valve Cover GAsket will be replaced, new cam seals will be installed, It is getting a new Timing belt, timing belt tensioner, water pump, balance shafts, and new platinum tipped spark plugs. This is the first time major work will be performed on my car not by my Honda dealer. If I said I wasn't nervous I'd be lying. Hopefully I'll have it back on Wednesday night in perfect working order again.

Well good luck with all that. I'm sure it'll be fine. Although I would agree that the timing belt and water pump service is waay early.
    Changing out the valve cover gaskets is not a big deal. If that was the only problem, doing the TB/WP as well is a huge expense that is not really necessary at this time. But since you're already having it done, might as well go ahead.
    Yeah, well the dealership and the owner's manual sides with you but these guys really have an intimate knowledge of Hondas. They told me it is going to have to be done in another 10-15K miles anyway. I do plan on keeping my car for a while, so preventative maintenance doesn't hurt.

• preludefanpreludefan Member Posts: 17
    Hey there - I'm new to this forum, but not new to the joys of the Prelude. I have a 2000 Type SH - Crystal Metallic Blue and I have loved it since day one. I have two children now and two car seats and my wife and I were considering trading it in for an Odyssey, but I just couldn't do it. So we're going to hold onto our Prelude and Subaru Outback wagon.

I only have 42000 miles on it, so it is relatively young, but in reading your posts, it looks as if my clutch could go in the next 20k?

How much did that cost you?

Also, do you have factory brakes on yours or did you put on after market parts? I have to replace my front brakes and thought about looking around some. I don't race my car, but I do like to push it everynow and then. It is basically a commuter car to and from the airport on a weekly basis.

Regarding tires, you said you put winter tires on it? What kind did you decide on? How do they handle?

Keep your great posts coming! I'm very interested in hearing how your open heart surgery went! Good luck...
    I'm new to this forum, so I thought I would open my question up to the community...

I have a 2000 Prelude Type SH - Crystal Metallic Blue. Absolutely love it. I have to get the front rotors and pads replaced. Does anyone recommend using non-factory parts for any reason? I don't race my car and have never had a problem with braking performance with the factory parts, but I thought I would ask anyways.

Thanks in advance!
    Has anyone actually experience or felt their ATTS kick in when cornering?

If so, can you describe it? I'm not sure that I have actually ever gotten it to engage. I'm sure it's there, but I don't know how to tell. I guess one way would be to find someone with the base model and take both cars out and try to corner in the same fashion in order to feel the difference.

Also, when I first start driving my car, I hear a mechanical vibration (hum) that sounds like something is engaging or being balanced. It lasts maybe 1 second. It has done this since Day 1. Does anyone else hear that? Wondering what that is.
    Hello there, I have a 2001 Type SH! As far as the ATTS kicking in I don't think it's something you can "feel" kicking in so to speak. The way the car corners at speed should be all the assurance you need :)

As far as the hum noise, that is completely normal. It is the ABS pump that comes on each time you start your car. It does that to keep it from sticking. I love my prelude, it's one of the best front drivers cars out there.
    Wow...lots of questions that I can hopefully shed some light on for you.

timothyaw is right about the hum being the ABS checking itself. Not to worry.

Regarding the clutch; just like people, every car and situation is different. I actually had my clutch replaced at 52,000 miles. Now before you freak out and sell your precious prelude (j/K), my car's situation is a bit unusual. My Prelude basically spent a little more than the first two years of its life in NYC. I lived in Manhattan (parked on the street) and commuted to my job in The Bronx. My ride to work was great as there aren't too many people on the road before 7:00 AM going out of the city (reverse traffic). Coming home the traffic was atrocious, bumper to bumper, on and off the clutch between 1st & 2nd gear (3rd once in a while)...Then once I got off the exit it was time to drive around looking for a parking space on the street, stopping at every light (they aren't in sync going across town, and finally it always took a little bit extra getting my car into the spot with its abnormally wide turning radius (and my anal retentivness when it comes to parallel parking).

I never noticed a problem or if the clutch was "slipping." One day driving I went to merge onto the highway. 1st to second was no problem, then the car wouldn't go into third unless I double clutched. I brought it to the dealer and he said the clutch was fried. He said the traffic killed it.

I didn't replace it with another stock Honda clutch. I actually replaced it with a Centerforce Clutch which is much stronger than the stock Honda clutch.

Replacing the clutch was NOT cheap ($1800 :confuse:)The ATTS unit has to be removed and re-installed in order for the clutch to be replaced. This results in a mandatory 5 hours of additional labor.

Funny you have to get your pads and rotors replaced, I'm still on my factory originals at 72,500 miles! I guess part of the reason I went through a clutch (and still have the original brakes) is because I downshift all the time :P. If I were going to replace my pads and rotors (which I will do at probably 100K miles just for piece of mind), I would upgrade them. You can get a set of Brembro stock replacement rotors and PBR/AXXIS brake pads (popular with the BMW guys) that will outperform replacement geniune Honda brake pads/rotors and fit just the same.

ATTS is infinitely variable. It is transparent. I'll be the first to admit that you might not know it is there for the most part. Supossedly it really helps at the track (I wouldn't know because I don't track my car). If you take a 10mph hairpin turn at speeds higher than posted and hit the gas at the apex of the turn, you can actually get the car to "pull itself" around the turn (or rotate the tail) and behave like almost like a RWD car. On a non-ATTS Prelude, the nose heavy FWD car would plow straight because the tires are overloaded.

How long have you owned your car?

2 car seats huh? That's got to be interesting. I'll have to let my wife know about that. She's expecting our 1st child (a baby boy) in about 2 weeks. You have forward facing or rear-facing car seats? I'm sure the forward facing seats won't be too much of a problem, but the rear facing seat might limit nyccarguy jr's time in the Prelude for the first year.

So my car has fully recovered. As you've read in my posts from the past week, I had quite a bit of preventative maintenance done on my car while I had the valve cover gasket replaced. First time my car has had major mechanical work done on it (besides my Sirius Radio, iPod connector, & Apexi World Sport Exhaust) outside the dealership. Here's the laundry list of things I had done: Timing Belt & tensioner replaced, Balance belt replaced, New Water pump, new valve cover gasket, new iridium tipped spark plugs & spark plug wires, new distributor cap, new pcv valve, & new cam seals.

The guy who worked on my car was absolutely astonished at how mechanically clean my car is (especailly with over 72,000 miles). He said that usually he takes off valve cover gaskets and they are gunky and sludgy. He told me he could have taken the valve cover from my car and pretty much eat off of it. Synthetic oil every 4K will do that for you.

My car is noticably quieter and throttle response seems quicker. With 72,500 miles my Milano Red 2001 Prelude Type SH is still pretty much as tight as it was when new. I love the way it handles & love the scream of the car when the car hits VTEC when I'm on the highway. It still looks good and draws compliments after I wash it. People who don't know too much about cars ar shocked that my car is a 2001.

you asked about snow tires. I put 4 195/60 HR15 Michelin Pilot Alpin Sport snow tires on a set of 15" steel wheels for the winter. Knock on wood, I've never had a problem getting around in the snow. Car buried on the side of the street in the city after the plows roar by, no problem. Tracking on a snow covered highway, no problem. We also don't get THAT much snow here compared to some parts of the country, but when it snows, I have NO PROBLEM!

Have you replaced your stock tires yet?

Congratulations! Regarding the car seats, I think I was able to fit an infant carrier on the passenger side but I don't recall if my wife was able to fit in the front seat. If she did, she against the dash. The things we do to accomodate our passions...
    Both my children (4.5 and 3) are now in front facing car seats. We don't do it often, but it works if we need to. The kids tend to kick the back of the seats, so we take off their shoes. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to make it through the car seat phase intact.
    I replaced them with the same at 38k - a little early, I know, but they were fairly worn and winter was fast approaching and I didn't want to chance it.

Thanks for the snow tire suggestion. :) I have a brother-in-law who is a car-junkie and he does a lot of his own maintenance. I think I'll get him to help me with the swap.
    Thanks man! I asked the service department and they didn't know what it was. Scary.

I'm into my 7th year of ownership and no problems so far other than normal wear items, so I'm really impressed thus far. I have a couple rust spots on the bottom of the driver door due to chipped paint, that I need to address, but no other rust problems, like the Hondas of old.

Gentlemen, I think we have ourselves a winner for the long haul. Just too bad I don't have a 3 car garage!!!
    You replaced your stock tires with other stock tires....ARGH! Next time go with a set of Z rated performance tires. I've got 4 Yokohama AVS ES100 tires on my Prelude as its summer shoes right now. I noticed the difference in handling immediately.

Well I'm glad your service came out great! With honda's, if you change your oil regularly(I use synthetic) your engine will always be clean. With all that service your car is like new.

Honda's are known to keep that "tight" feeling for years and years. Some of the best cars on the planet. But some of these new honda's and their mission, we'll just have to see. I would like to get my hands someday on a 06 BMW M3! The last year before they do a FMC. I've hear on the bimmer boards that alot of the people aren't too keen on some of the pictures coming out on the change. But I'll take the 06 M3. For now it's all Prelude. I'll always keep this car, no matter what other cars I get. It's a keeper ;)
    So I had my latest accessory installed tonight. It won't make me go any faster, corner any better, or make my car more aerodynamically sound...it is my Peg Perego car rear facing car seat base. They give a class every 1st Tuesday night of the month at the Police Station. After a brief (and very informative) lecture on child safety in the car, they actually install the car seat for you so it fits right. The lady teaching joked she would need a few drinks and the jaws of life to get into the back of my car to install the seat base. It took her all of 2.5 minutes to fit it securely in the back of my car. "Easiest car I've done all night." she proclaimed.

Hondas of recent years haven't really "done it" for me either. I remember my sister had a '95 Accord EX. It was light, handled well (thank-you double wishbones), had ample room & a well crafted interior. So it wasn't a speed demon. I think a new Civic has the same interior space of my sister's old accord. Like all cars, Hondas have gotten bigger and heavier. I used to be a "Honda Guy." Besides the S2000, I don't know of any Honda I'd buy if I were looking right now.

I dig BMWs. They are such phenomenal driving cars. BMWs are the only cars that could replace my Prelude (imho) as far as having superior driving dynamics. Even the new 3 series is too soft for me. I can only hope for maybe a 2 series coupe with a Turbocharged 4 banger.

Yeah I'm with you, I am a honda guy but lately I haven't been too thrilled with their offerings. Like you the s2000 is the only car out of all their vehicles (honda and acura) that would interest me. And I'm too tall to fit in a s2000, oh how I tried lol.
    But for guys like us, BMW is the only real other car company that really interest us. I've always thought of Honda as the little BMW. Honda has been known as having fun driving cars that are not expensive as BMW.
    I agree most cars today are getting too big, WAAAY too much techky stuff, disappearing manual transmissions, it all disguest me. That's why I'm keeping my good ole cars for now, until somebody wakes up and realizes that there are some people out there that wants a performance vehicle that is not too heavy, only has a cd changer in the dash. Like we said the s2000 is just this. The simple pleasures inside but the greatest effort goes into the performance. Awww how I wish for the days.
    "We" (The American Consumer) demand our cars be safer, roomier, technologically advanced, & faster. Adding safety equipment adds weight. Making cars bigger inside means adding weight. To cope with the added weight, you beef up the suspension (adding more weight). To make the car go faster you usually add some liters to the engine (more weight). So you end up with a car that is marketed as all new with X amount of horsepower, but it ends up not being that much better to drive than its predecessor.

BMW did a great job by keeping the weight pretty close between the new E90 3 series & the old E46 3 series. But that comes with a price. The E90 BMW is going to be that much more costly to fix with all that aluminum in the front.

FWIW, I like driving the E46 much better than the new E90. The E90 is a nice car, but too soft for my tastes.

• justin9justin9 Member Posts: 1
    i am about to purchuse my first car and i was looking to a prelude and i really dont know that much about them cuz i really dont know many ppl who have them so i was wondering about what kind of power, and speed to expect and how it adapts to mods such as cai, exhaust and turbo
    Hey NYC,

everything still on track for your little one? good luck and bring a camcorder!

to answer a question from sometime back:

i definitely don't want to sell my prelude but i don't know that it will be able to be used for a 22 mile each way highway / city commute for too much longer. the civic si sedan might be a fun but economical car that could allow the prelude to hang on as a third car for a couple more years. if i get to test drive one, i'll definitely post my impressions.

whatever happened to the h22 engine that was used in the prelude? did it "evolve" into the 2.0 liter engine used in the civic si? seems strange that such a good engine (one of ward's ten best engines for a bunch of years) would just dissipate into oblivion...

how much does the 97 - 01 prelude weigh? i'm still getting right at 30 mpg average. last tank was 30.4 actually....

atob

1993 brittany blue green metallic prelude vtec
    preludefan,

i know exactly what you mean about taking the shoes off first! we've had to do that as well. there have been a handful of occasions that wife and our 5 and 2 yr olds have piled in the prelude and driven 30 minutes or so. fortunately, i'm usually driving so it's my wife whose knees have to eat the passenger airbag for the duration.

regarding the clutch, i too replaced mine early at about 60k miles or so. the clutch was actually fine, but the third gear had some premature teeth wear. while they had the tranny apart i opted to have the clutch replaced so i wouldn't have to do it later. this was in 1997!

enjoy the ride,
    atob
    Everything is still on track for nyccarguy jr. The wife is 2cm dialated as of this AM. Her due date is next Thursday. I don't think she'll last that long. Maybe this weekend! I'm so excited!

I understand if you are thinking of parting ways with your Prelude. The Civic Si sedan would definitely be a viable alternative. LSD, sharp handling, Avante Garde styling... it would definitely be worth a test drive.

I know that the curb weight for my car (Type SH) is 3042lbs. The base model comes in at under 3K pounds.