Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    that 285 could be a typo.
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    I got that Chrysler news mag in the mail. Had a brief right up on the special. Said it did have HID lights, Said the HP was 255, no torque figure though. Said it also pulls .91G's! on the skidpad. Claims it's a better number the a Covette. Says it's lowerd a 1/2 inch too. Has a picture of it also in siver with netural grey ground effects. Doesn't look that bad, but still wonder WHY they didn't just paint them the same color of the car.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    I used a Magnaflow 12258 as my front collector, and a Dynomax 17739 as my rear muffler in the Hujo design. No reason why you can't use another brand and muffler if its the right size. Here are some pictures of my dual install including a diagram.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1620463&a=12630411&f=0

The guy that did my system told me that if I wanted the system to be nearly as quiet as stock it would be easy to put one more small high-flow muffler between the front collector and rear muffler. Personally, I like a little growl. I rented a stock M last week and I missed the performance of Big Red, including my exhaust growl.

• scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Yep -- that rubber hose from the engine to the air intake plenum is the make up hose and sucks air.

The emissions return system is separate and has a metal tube beginning at around the same part of the engine to the back passenger side of the engine where a big valve is, and it has a metal tube that gets split and then goes into the bottom of the intake manifold on either side of the TB.

The rubber hose is to make up for airflow when the PCV valve stops doing whatever it does. The PCV stuff returns emissions to be burned as well, but it seems to be separate from the emissions stuff described above. The Service Manual doesn't say much about where the PCV hoses go.
    Any idea what happens if that hose is blocked or removed?
  • mileshoovermileshoover Member Posts: 122
    eugenek --

I have had considerable experience w/LH bodied autos -- a '93 Concorde, '94 LHS, and a '99 LHS (17" chrome wheels & Michelin Pilots). All three cars have been driven a total of well over 200K miles. All had front wheel vibrations at one time or another. It appears to be an LH design problem. Even my earlier '88 Merc 560SL had similar wheel vibrations.

If your rim is bent, a good tire guy can verify the problem. If it is bent, you probably would have remembered hitting something which would do it. I wouldn't depend entirely on the dealer.

You didn't indicate if the vibrations occurred when braking at 45+ mph or when just driving at that speed. I have had both and all of those kinds of vibrations since '93.

The following items have alleviated, but not totally solved the vibrations (they do come back as the equipment wears) --

Ensure that your front rotors are not warped; if they are, replace them and the pads; grinding rotors doesn't work for very long. Chrysler has had poor rotors and pads for years.

Secondly, ensure that your wheels are properly balanced, preferably on a Hunter machine. If you rotate wheels (recommended), be sure to also balance the spare wheel.

Have your suspension checked out by the guy who does Hunter alignment; if he is competent, he should check your springs/shocks and be able to get your system working correctly.

According to my manual and dealer, the chrome wheels are a warranty item so long as you are not out of it and do not cost $700 each.

When braking, be sure to avoid pumping the brakes as it can warp the rotors, particularly at higher speeds. The generated heat will mess them up. I find that, when possible, always brake with smooth, even pressure which keeps the system optimal. Sometimes, I actually can feel the vibration begin and then go away by modulating foot pressure when braking for a stop light, etc., as the rotors/pads settle in.
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    From the 2002 300M brochure:
    HP 255
    Torque 257 lb-ft @3900 RPM
    Both figures when using premium fuel

My comments on the "Special":
    Interior - I like the seats, carbon fibre nice, but not much of it , and no wood trim wheel.
    Skirts - Should be body color
    Headlights - nice!
    Duals - Our member's quad tips look better
    Engine - Why did they bother?
    Wheels - Look nice, wonder if those center caps will fit our wheels?
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    Hey, I've gotta question. Does anyone know EXACTLY where the ECU is located on the 300M? I've always heard it was in the passenger side kick panel on cars, well it isn't on the M. Before I ask the dealer (or tear my car apart) I thought I'd try to see if anyone here knows. The reason is I think I am going to try the ASE performance chip in my M and I need to send ASE the ECU. Has anyone else tried this????
    I'll look at the Service Manual and see if it lists the cause of any problems as "blocked make up hose," but I don't recall seeing any such section.

These may be informative:

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/engineering/tsb_94-2r.html
    http://cardogz.com/columns/auto/archive/1999_10_18.html
    http://www.misterfixit.com/pcvvalve.htm
    I think it's the thing with the heat fins in the engine compartment on the right side near the power distrbtion box,(the box that has all the fuses) Good luck! Did they mention if what they do is reversiable? Personaly I wouldn't do it with the orginal unit. I'd buy one from Chrysler, then send that one to them.
    They said they send back original socket for $30, which I was planning on. As far as reversible, yes but I'd have to pay for it. I am a little nervous about doing it and I still have not committed to it yet. But it will make HP at 276 and torque 281...without any other mods.

Chris
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Careful! Last time we discussed the chip, those HP and Torque numbers were based on computer modeling, not dyno tests. It's your money, but I would want more substantiation before committing.

Silver.
    According to their website it looks as if it was dynotested. It shows a dynochart of results. You think it is all computer estimates? I didn't ask them if the numbers were real, I guess i'm just a trusting person.(could be a big mistake huh) Well, I think I would definitly do it if I lived in Calif., just because I would go to the showroom and ask a lot of questions. Now I'm having more second thoughts.
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Hello, smittyd.....read about YOUR light show problems.....seems to be a problem showing up for a few of us here. Waiting for the seat rail (?..) part and body module you mentioned to come in to get both of these fixed. Seemed my seat was moving like everyone else here, and since I'm biggerer than the average bear, & my sensitive gluteous mamximuses felt the movement more--to me anyway. Did ALL the lights give you the light show--not only did the lights flash/flicker, but door locks went up and down and headlights flashed, too. Some here thought I hit the PANIC button, but did not. Was extremely weird...last time I saw a light show like this was the early 70's... :-o
    Sorry you folks had problems getting into the chatroom Wed nite....I had no problem getting on @10pm... Hope dustin's and his wife are doing okay......today's birthing day!

There were about 10 of us in the chatroom..avalanche was there--seems his sister and my oldest daughter's boyfriend are in the same class @college..talk about 6 degrees of separation!
    The Fed in its infinite wisdom will be letting us poor folk leave a llittle earlier today.....hope you all have a safe and pleasant Columbo Day weekend!

Doc
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Its been a long while since I posted about this subject back when I was rotating my 5 wheels trying to find out if the "shimmy" we all talk about was a tire belt or what. Anyway for all the new M owners out there, take a few minutes and get out your spare, the owner's manual and the jack that goes with this car and get familiar with the locations of the jacking slots, and the machinations of the jack. This is not something you [or the SO] want to be fumbling with some night in the rain when you get a flat. The jacking areas are hard to locate in daylight and the jack itself is the "devil's device." Once in place it requires a whole lot of turns with the crappy handle just to go up an inch. Get familiar with it now, before you need to. Also, take the wrench and try loosening one of the wheel nuts and you will be surprised,I am sure, at how few turns it takes to get them off. And, how easy it is to turn them by hand once the wrench breaks the hold. They must have the largest thread rifling ever. Make sure you inspect the nuts for snugness before you drive away each and every time you have the tires rotated or balanced off the car. Do not trust the mechanic to have done it right and tight, because there is not much room for error before you are losing lug nuts and maybe the wheel. Putting the jack back together with the wrench is also worth a few tries so everything gets back into place the right way. That's all I had to say on the topic, but since we have a lot of new owners/visitors I thought it was worth saying.
    Ok it's not a secret anymore. I am looking at getting another car. Leasing this time though. My financial, as well as everyday needs have changed since I bought the M. My M is a good car. Has been troble free for the most part. Most of the few problems have been minor(except the last one :). The car is a good car, & at the time was the best vaule out there. The service is what I have the most problems with. I also don't want to get stuck with a $30K car that after 5 years is only worth $5K. Seems that's what will happen with DC pushing the new MSRP's down. Can't belive I didn't get a very good deal in the first place, but now a 2002 stickers for less the what my 2000 did?? That alone will push the value of my M WAY down. I wasn't concered with such things before, but certin events change your thinking, & needs. That's life I guess. Anyway, Do you guys think it would be better to wait say till december to get a new car? By then we could be in a war, or already had it & won. The economy could be better, or worse. I can get a killer lease deal on a few cars now, but I also don't want to rush it. What do you guys think?
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    I agree with you 100%! I expressed my views on this in posts over the past 10 days, so I won't get started again.

However, I will say this is very short-sighted of DC -- trading short-term sales increases for degredation of their flagship car...however, they probably rationalize this by the planned phase-out of the LH cars, anyway... ):
    If you're willing to buy an '01 of your favorite car, make sure you wait until the '02 is released so you can get a "left over" for a lot cheaper. Some companies are already offering incentives on the '02 models, but I suspect more will be coming down the pike unless the govt's economic recovery package takes shape and actually helps.
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    Don't ever use the jacks that come with cars - they are terrible!!!

I got a pneumatic jack from K-Mart some time ago (just pass it from car to car ;) for like $25. It's great - I swapped my tires once (spare to left rear, left rear to front rear, front rear to spare) and it took all of 20 min total. However, I lost the plastic screw thing that keeps the cover on the spare down...

anyone know where I can get another?? ;)

Although I have to say, that the costco near me is great. They'd do this for free (tire rotations are $16 - unless you buy them there and they are free). They also have a torque wrench and a chart for the wheels. I've watched them, they torque it by hand which I like...
    While you have your car, there is no rush to get a new one (unlike me whose lease is ending in November)

So I say you look in the newspaper every weekend (Sun-Sentinel has a ton of car ads) and if you see something that you like and you think that the price is right - go for it.

We got my wife's 2001 RX300 like this LAST year. We just saw JM Lexus advertising some crazy lease deals in the paper.

I say if you are tired of M, look at the 2002 Max or 2002 Altima, and of course the longest M's competitor Acura TL-S. I hear you can pick up the 255 HP Maxima with HIDs for a good price.
    or if you want something that will thrill you - get the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. They are doing 0% financing on it now.
    Don't know what I'm getting yet, but it will have 3 things. Be smaller then the M, be leased, & I'm sorry to say will not be from an American company. Yes I could hold the M. I don't have a problem with that. But by January I will have another car for sure. Just not sure weather I should take the deals now, or wait & see what happens the next month or so. I have test drove several cars the past 2 weeks. More then I did when I bought the M. I also don't want to get burned with prices like I did when I got the M. When I got the M, here in south FL,(nov 99) there were no deals, no rebates, no near invoice pricing no nothing. I paid $31,200(that seems crazy now) before taxes. Yet if I waited a few more months, I could have gotten some very good deals.
    Like Ruski said, check out the Maxima and Altima. I rented a Maxima recently and really liked it. It would be even nicer with leather and goodies that the rental didn't have. I don't know what size you need, but the Acura TL and Lexus ES300 are fine fine fine cars. Both a little small for what I needed, but I nearly got one fo them. The new '02 ES300 is rumored to be simply outstanding. Both of those cars will cost you $32k plus though
    Sorry..I don't share your enthusiasm for the GTP. It's nice and fast, but I always have the impression that the knobs are going to fall off the dashboard. I think I told you that my friend had a black one that was a rattletrap (and hurt his back). He got rid of it with only 6,000 miles on it and is now driving his wife's 94 chrysler minivan. lol
  • travmntravmn Member Posts: 30
    dunno if you're looking in the same class as the M ( domestic lux ) or gonna try and get a japanese / german car ( entry-level lux ), but of possible interest ( at least to me ) is the up coming Infiniti G35 ( due out in spring ). I don't know how much you follow cars, but this is actually the nissan skyline ( v35 i believe ), which is a sports sedan in japan that has been raved at. I'm contemplating between going with that ( or if they do bring the GTR to the states, thats my car ;) ) or something like the IS300. Both should be nice car and should keep their resale much better than the M. I just saw an ad in the paper where they were selling a new 2001 M for $22k. i'm really starting to crap my pants on how horrible the resale is gonna be on this car ( specially since i'm already over 40k miles ). all in all, i think i'm at least gonna wait out till the car show in chicago this year and see what is for sure coming out in 2003. Heck, if mitsubishi brings over the Lancer EVO VII, or the Subaru WRX STi, or even the skyline GTR hits the states end of year next year, i think i may have to just wait for one of those cars.
    on a side note, i didn't realize that abbreviating japanese would be considered derogatory, so sorry
  • travmntravmn Member Posts: 30
    anyone have experience with this unit? I was talking to the guy at my local hifi shop and this was the system he recommended. has am/fm, dvd video, uhf/chf tv reception, touch screen. they were asking 2399 for it plus a fair amount for installation. I already got a coupon for $100 off and 12 months same as cash financing. I think the financing makes the best of the deal. What do you guys think? i was looking at the alpine system but in order to go dvd, you need to seperate modules, and i think it costs more to do the alpine then the kenwood. will i have problems with the kenwood?
    And whatever you do, buy a real lug wrench before you need it!
    Keep it until you need to put it to sleep.

I'd be very surprised if a car came along any time soon that I would really salivate over.

Resale value? What a strange concept...
    A year ago I'd agree with you.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    The Kenwood unit you mentioned is very nice. I too have been looking at it. I am looking at the Alpine units (because of the Alpine 852 Nav system I have) makes it far easer to hook up. I also like the Panasonic units (for vidio). I am probably going with a IVA-C800 I can then add and up grade later.
    Is what I will have at the AZ Meet now that we now have some here. What are the best flavors?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    is plain but hot off the conveyor out of the oven! Trust me. There is nothing better in this world and I don't even like doughnuts.

;-)

Look for the light on in the window - that tells you hot fresh out of the oven doughnuts are available now, and then you must get inside quickly!
  • smittydsmittyd Member Posts: 23
    When the infamous light show happened on my M, I didn't get the door lock "up and down" deal!
    All the interior lights (including all led read outs), headlights, turn signals and tail lights blinked in rhythm. The first time I saw it was at night in my driveway and it was very impressive and would have been funny if it had not been MY $30,000 car. I also heard the "tink...tink" electrical noise from behind the dash.

My seat is solid as a rock and I'm a big ol' boy, too with 6'2" and 325 lbs. pushing on it. The "speed and handling tests" I've given it through the 20 miles of back roads I drive each day to work haven't caused the slightest movement.

Good luck!

MOPAR or no car!
  • dkrhardydkrhardy Member Posts: 134
    I have a Dodge R/T which ASE says is the same "chip", so I looked into it. I haven't seen their website in a month or so, but when I looked that "dyno" sheet was HAND DRAWN! Not one single person has had a good thing to say about ASE products, so maybe you should think twice before you ship off your ECU and have them digging into it. My $.02
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    seems some of your M's have that contagious disease--the Christine Syndrome---Fastdriver's M was the first victim--it seems to be spreading
  • guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    the new es300 would be my choice if i were going to go with a non-north american automobile...saw the commercial last night and it's the only car i've seen that can compete on the looks scale. i would also look at the clk320 or the 330ci if you don't need 4 doors. the LS is a nice ride but not sporty enough. right now is a great time to buy a car my sis and my parents have just recently bought new and the dealers are ready to deal. i would get a 02. i've been getting the trade in itch too i've always traded every two years, but i just haven't seen anything that really turns my head, and i only have 11k on it. my Ram is my daily commuter...i'm looking at the all-new Ram schweeet!!! guess we won't be twins after the new year huh? :(
    had my michelins rotated and balanced today on a hunter dsp, and they used the stick on weights, they buff the inside of the wheel with a steel wire brush and stick em' on close to the edge...no scratches on my chromies.
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    My LS did just fine on a descending right 270 onto the freeway against a 540i. He started out ahead, halfway down I caught him and let him go at the end as it was MY lane that ended. It was a with a guy from work and he really did try to beat me. The conversation at work the next day was almost as fun as doing 50 around that 20 mph curve :)
    i know the LS is a well engineered car.
    the infiniti G35 will be out spring 02 as a 03 you can read about it on the future models section of infinity.com...now there's a looker and a cooker.
    give me a rear wheel hemi!!! what's the hold up???

my back is out and i'm confined to my bed please forgive the rantings...all cards and sweets can be sent to: ahhhh :)
    Anyone know if it'll be possible to put the HID lamp assembly in an 01 if you buy the parts? Or if not (or if it's far to much $$$) then how about the Xenon bulbs I keep seeing around. Are they any good? Or better than the orig?

TIA...

It's funny how they keep on about 'more' light output - if you test the actual light output they are the same (they have to be...) It's just that the bluer light appears brighter - but all in all that can help :)

scotian:I know what you mean :) Unfortunately I went with the lease on my M and don't know whether it'll make sense to buy it out at the end - prolly not... But I know I'd love to keep it (or another of it at the end...)
    Anyone know if it'll be possible to put the HID lamp assembly in an 01 if you buy the parts? Or if not (or if it's far to much $$$) then how about the Xenon bulbs I keep seeing around. Are they any good? Or better than the orig?

TIA...

It's funny how they keep on about 'more' light output - if you test the actual light output they are the same (they have to be...) It's just that the bluer light appears brighter - but all in all that can help :)

scotian:I know what you mean :) Unfortunately I went with the lease on my M and don't know whether it'll make sense to buy it out at the end - prolly not... But I know I'd love to keep it (or another of it at the end...)
  • massivslinkymassivslinky Member Posts: 13
    I'll take your LS apart in the corners with my 1984 Porsche 944. Has sport suspension and sticks like glue. Acceleration is slow compared to M and LS, but with perfect 50/50 weight distribution this thing was build for S turns and exit and entry ramps. :)

Hey fuzzy, go the full performance route. Get something German. (try and M3) LS won't even come close to one of those. ;)
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    that DC should bring on the next gen 300 ASAP. With their business going down so bad, they need something to drum up sales in a BIG way. The HEMI will do that! I'm trading up as soon as they offer that 300N V8 RWD HEMI. I'm sure many others will do the same.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    We had a plant meeting this week with Dr Wolfgang Bernhard ,DaimlerChrysler’s Chief Operating Officer. he told us that the new LX car will be a 2004 1/2 model car. So we will all have to wait, BTW Happy Thanksgiving to all you Canadian guys on the board, don't eat to much turkey ! oh heck go ahead.
    Say it isn't so!!!!! We have to wait another 2 and a half years. Most of the other manufactures will probably be doing 500hp by then. Delays, delays.
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    Hey, thanks for the update on the build date.

It's just that I'm concerned if you be able to build it that late in the game. We'll see. 2.5 years is a long time, maybe things will turn around for Chrysler. I just thought the LX and the HEMI would be instrumental in that.