Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    What the heck are these people thinking?!?! They think it's ok to SLAM a door into another car, thus damaging someone's $30,000 piece of property? It's like the guy in line the other day at the car rental shuttle that removed the plastic wrapper off his pack of cigarettes and tossed it on the ground. What was this jackass thinking? The world is his garbage can?? I guess my car is a DOORSTOP! God I'm furious.
    I picked up the wrapper and handed it back to him saying "I believe you dropped this by ACCIDENT". He glared at me and put it in his pocket. I wanted to beat a dent in his head with my cell phone.
  • mannaeimannaei Member Posts: 4
    hi there can any one help me on finding a door for my 1999 babe 300m ,I need the left rear door .pleas tell me the price and where it find it and how much it w'll cost me ,and how do can I get the body part's (the body kit )for my 300 m
    thank you
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    I feel for you! However, I love that line you used... "I believe you dropped this..." that's great!
  • valhsvalhs Member Posts: 63
    I'm asking you this because you may have a unique insight on this. I've been following several posts on the Maxima page regarding the purchasing of vehicles in Canada using the favorable exchange rates, U.S. $ vs. Tooneys. Many are claiming that fully loaded Maximas with a U.S. sticker of $30,000+ can be had for a paltry $23,400 U.S. including duty fees and taxes. They also claim that warranties are seviceable in North America and do not specify Cananda. The only downside is the conversion from kilometers to miles which is said to cost $100 - $200.

Questions regarding a Canadian 300M:

1) Is it really this simple? Or am I missing something?
    2) Are the cars identical in specs, minus DRL's?
    3) Is the warranty valid in U.S.?
    4) Did a dingo eat my baby? (off topic sorry)
    5) Why isn't everyone doing this?
  • mykemmykem Member Posts: 203
    In smaller parking lots I've seen and not let the person away no less than twenty times. Larger parking lots, obviously, I need to be near-by to hear the crunching.

Yesterday someone backed into a car busting the taillamp plastic. I ran and stopped them and took their information down for the other driver, who wasn't there. There was damage to both cars as well, so she couldn't deny that she did it.

Luckily I always carry my digital camera around in the event of the one that gets away.

People are pissed when they don't get away with stuff; but how are they to respect someone else's property when they obviously don't respect their own?

-m
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Bravo, Mike!
    These are not "accidents" they are "carelesses".
    If everyone would do as you do we could at least get these morons to pay for their stupidity.
    That's awesome man. I wish someone would have done that for me. My dent is clearly something that could have been heard for a couple of aisles.
  • jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    I got my M back from my "5-Star" after the accident earlier last month. No prob's with insurance- other guy (at fault) had State Farm & they were as pleasant as possible to deal with. Unfortunately, my dealer's collision shop was not. VERY poor job painting- much overspray (inc. on my chrome wheels!), poor rub-out after wet sanding (haze in the finish), and they left a 3/8" strip at the bottom of one door unpainted. They also failed to note that the collision damaged a power window mechanism. The manager apologized & will have the shop fix things. I'll have to leave the car for another few days, and I loathe the added inconvenience.
    Doesn't anyone take pride in their work anymore?

Jon
    I do. Maybe that's why I got laid off. lol
    Great looking interior pix! Pardon me if I've asked this before, but what kit did you use, and how difficult was it to install?
    I am sure you do. Things will work out.

Keep the Faith!
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    I believe you are talking about the picture with the 2002 parked next to the 2001, to show the differentces.
    Custom auto trim is where I got mine, but Ebay has basicly the same thing for half as much. If you are discussing the picture with the vidio system between the A/C and Radio that is in the process of being constructed (there is no kit for this).
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    I have the Platinum Color on my 99. When I had my accident they repaired the damage and repainted and blended things well, no overspray. It's looks brillant in the sun, and I fell in love with the color the first time I saw it. Everyone comments on the amount of metal flake in it, there's a lot! :D

Someone said here, I think a long time ago, that the Platinum was being withheld until the next generation LX cars. I hope so, I would like a 300N in this same color.

As for paint chips. I have some but they are hard to see if you don't look for them. The ones I have are kinda white in color.
    I ordered the DRL module the other day. Got a call from them this morning (just now as a matter of fact ;) He calls says, Um, Mr. ... I'm calling about the DRL module you ordered. I called to say... um... nothing. Um, well, don't worry about this, it's in stock and will be shipping today. Let's just say this was a call to let you know the product was shipping. ok?"

ROTFL - he had mistaken my card - thought it was amex when it was visa, which would explain it being rejected. No prob in the end and I'll have it soon. However, it was pretty funny :D
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Really your best bet would be to call your American government agency that overlooks the importing of automobiles.They will be able to give you all the info you need to seriously consider this .As I just build them ,I have no clue what you need to do to import a Canadian car to your country.When we build them the only difference I know is DRL and metric gauges. With our Canadian dollar hitting an all time low against your dollar yesterday it sure would be a good deal for you .Look in to it and let us all know.
  • mileshoovermileshoover Member Posts: 122
    I have had similar dents in my champagne pearl metallic finish, both with paint/finish damage and not. And I, too, share your pain.

There is a national firm that trades as "paintless dent removal" or some such thing; they have an 800 number which will give you the name of a local firm. They also have a web page which I can't find at the moment.

Check your local yellow pages under Automobile Body Repairing and Painting to find them in your area.

This process goes inside your door/fender, etc., with tools which bump out the dent. IF you paint has not been removed, they can fix the problem so that it isn't visible. They do NOT remove the inside door panels. IF the paint has been damaged, they do not fix the paint usually but will know of a good paint blender who can blend that so that it isn't a problem.

If you are in my area (No VA), give me a yell and I'll give you specific numbers of appropriate repairers.

Good Luck,

Miles
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    300Michael: Oops!...my 300m ignorance was showing...sorry. Interesting though how the placement of the "winged logo" shows off the grill more...I like it in the center, personally.

jona57 I agree: very few people these days 'care' anymore. For me personally, whn I work on a web site, logo design or even just washing my 300m, if I'm not 100% happy with the result, I work at until I'M satisfied. You'd think that for what the autobody people were getting paid to fix your car, they'd at least TRY to not overspray, AND at least paint all the parts that were supposed to be painted, right? I'm lucky in that respect, afor when I take eMily to MY autobody guy, I know that it will come back perfectly. He's fixxed my oldest daughter's cars in the past and you'd never know it was painted. Two very hard colors to match--a 1992 Olds Acieva..turquoise bluish greensh color which was popular then; and her Volkswagen Jette -- a darker Hunter Green metallic color that was difficult to match.

mykem AND russklass: I've done the same thing--getting info from someone trying to 'take it on the lam' and trying to leave. If they escape, I get the license plate. Since I've had 4 surgeries in 5 years thanks to an on the job injury, I now have a hadnicapped placard they allows to park in the 'special' spaces. Even in those spaces, I'm very careful to park far enough away from both sides of the blue lines, because even folks who are in worse shape than me sometimes don't give a shi..errr...hoot when they open the doors. Prior to the placard, I've already spent 20 minutes orbitting the parking lots of malls, looking for and finally finding an end-spot. I was even going to get a vanity plate: ND-SPOT! Because I care-as all of us here do--about MY car, I have always been particualarly careful getting in and out of my own car, respecting other people's cars as I hope they'd respect mine.

Other: I 'found' this new candy that Hershey's just released--thought you'd appreciate the picture at the link below!

http://www.shutterfly.com/my/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b318e102650e

also awaiting call from 1/16th Star dealer about second Body Control Module....will keep youse posted....

Doc

ROTFL!
    I'll call after I wash Big Red and see what the total damage is and how much is dent vs. scratch. I *may* be able to get the white paint off with a mildly abrasive car wax, but I'm worried about my clearcoat. I guess I can try it with a Q-tip or something to minimize the collateral damage.

It just infuriates me that people do this with no remorse.
  • forresthforresth Member Posts: 34
    Careful! Doc,
    I think that candy is made by M&M Mars. If they saw it they might think that you were a corporate spy or something! Herhey's Storm Trooper Lawyers might be on the way to your door right now. Knock, Knock...who's There?.....Candy Gram!...Just A minute... OH NO! it's the Land Shark!! Ahhhhh!
    Doc, that's hilarious. :) You still have the picture of a giant red M&M standing in front of Big Red? I see a pattern here. heh
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Since the point of this exercise is to get as much air through the TB as possible, and since it is advised to remove the large rubber obstruction in the stock TB bend, and since removing this obstruction is mostly pointless if the lip between the hole & idle bypass is there, and since there is already a notch in the cylinder, I have gone ahead and removed the lip:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1280646&a=13923132&p=55922887&f=0

I am wondering if there might be any adverse effects from this. I assume that the MAS will allow the correct fuel/air mixture, but will the fact that the throttle plate position sensor will not correlate to the same airflow as before matter (what is it used for, anyway)? I'll probably have to be lighter on the pedal for smooth acceleration.

Also, since the stock TB bend directs air upward into the TB, it seems that the plate at WOT might be at its optimal angle (not quite 90 degrees). Since there is no WOT set screw, it probably isn't set to anything in particular at the factory.

• mileshoovermileshoover Member Posts: 122
    sdmike2 --

Of course, please wash the car, BUT please DON'T attempt any kind of color repair UNTIL you let the dent remover do their stuff. If the white paint can be removed, they will do so in their polishing process and you'll not see any mark whatsoever. The guy who does the paint repair WILL use clear coat in making the repair. Most paint used nowadays has the color coat blended in with the paint. Just make sure he uses your Chrysler paint code (on the driver's door frame sticker).

IF, on the other hand, the paint has been damaged, let them tell you who locally to you can blend paint after their repairs. You'll most likely be pleased with the results. I would not attempt any kind of home-made color repair if you want a decent finish after the dent is removed.

The above has worked for me at least 20 times since 1988 with several cars.

Miles
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Mike, sorry about the ding. Do you have a Zaino Clay Bar? I would try that first. It worked for me in removing the residue of the Accord I backed into. (Yes, I was a "maroon", but I knocked on the guys door and helped him file a claim by phone with my carrier. Let me know how it works for you. Good luck with everything.

Silver
    miles -
    good points. I didn't know if they would try to polish it out or not. I'll give them a call. Thanks for the advice. You too silver. Thanks.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    drpixel-

Oh boy! Time to change eMily's name to Christine!! Do you think it was the FULL MOON? ;-))

sdmike2-

NO!!!! First a scratch, then you lose your job and now a dent in BigRed! That's it for you. Your "three" things have happened. Things get better from here!

fastdriver
    I hope that's my 3. I'm not sure I could handle another.

300mike - check your email. I need your mailing address.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Okay, it has been a while since my last post, but I have read the board daily. Before going into the car details, I want to say that since the accident, we haven't had much success with either our provider Allstate nor will the person at fault's provider State Farm, help at all. Our insurance adjuster really sucks and at one point last week, hung up on my dad after saying "There's nothing more I can do for you." Her supervisor was then called by my mother but she was the same and said "We don't represent you." Needless to say, things haven't been looking good for the past two weeks. Oh, to anyone that may ask, we did actually go to a lawyer for consultation only but he was a little ahead of himself and not the kind of person you wanted to be around. Yes, there are other lawyers in the world, but my parent's want to leave that as a possible resort if needed. Now, for the car.

From the site, our 300M was taken to an impound lot where it sat with a demolished rear end and no window for 2 nights. My dad drove up (it's all 45 minutes away) that Tuesday moring (the day after) to get all the rest of our stuff from the car. He is experianced in auto body and said it did look bad, but from being hit mainly on the left half of the rear end, he was almost sure that the back wheel & suspension on that corner were still in place properly. Everything is pretty much smashed into the back parcel shelf area above the back seat and the back door on the driver's side won't open. He also got my mom's special lighthouse vanity tag "JOURNEY" (for the band) off of the bumper; strangely, this part of the bumper was just kind of twisted up and the license plate was only a little bent.

As for the inside, the morning after, he said the interior was wet from the night moisture and dew. They reconnected the battery cable and he was able to get all 4 CD's out of the changer, plus everything we had inside and a cooler, safety kit, and blanket from the front of the trunk after pulling down one of the seats. The car then sat another day, through the night, and then until Wednesday afternoon when it was towed to the shop outside with no back window, getting wet once again. We're concerned that this moisture further damaged things like the leather seats and electronics, but aren't sure how bad or if anything was done to them.

So since last Wednesday, the car has been sitting at a body shop in the same place, a shop chosen by Allstate. As bad as it was, we were thinking that they would total it but not so. This week, we were told by the body shop that they would be fixing it and had estimated the damage at $10,000. Parts are supposed to be ordered and will be in sometime, with the job maybe getting done by the end of November or beginning of December. In the meantime, we are using my dad's 1969 Chevy Malibu, as neither we have nor do we know yet if the other's insurance will cover a rental car. We were told to pay out of pocket for a car, and maybe we'll get reimbursed--yeah. Just yesterday, this month's payment was due and had to be paid on a car we don't have and that's in pieces.

So now, we're in a not so good financial situation. When we bought the car, we got a price of $27,000. $10,000 was applied for our trade and then $17,000 was financed for 60 months at 8%. A year has been paid and about $14,900 is still owed. Now, because of the terrible depreciation of Chryslers and the accident damage, this $32,000 car is not worth much. Even though it's being fixed, after damage like this, cars are never the same. Thus, my mother has said she will not drive it and will get something else. Since a little under 15 grand is owed and we most likely won't get much for it as a trade, we probably have to look into leasing a car, something we've never done because both my mom who has worked in a bank for some time and my dad think that it's a stupid waste of money. You may wonder, might we consider a new 300M? According to mother, no, because she wanted something bigger with more room before and now really does. So, the main thought is the dredded words to all of you--SUV! Right now, it's just in the look at brochures and price stage, but we'll probably be looking in December some time. But, before anything, the biggest thing is how much money will we have.

I'll be back with more info. as we get it ourselves, but until then, any commentary? Ideas? Suggestions?
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I will post it again---It's called "Nowhere to hide"--be sure to turn your voume up high!

Easyrider300M

http://www.funforwards.com/flash/october01/nowheretohide.cfm

I will post a few pics of the new dash. I still have to finish off some of the wood trim, to match the rest of the dash and to mount the new switches. http://community.webshots.com/user/my300m_
  • no1trustno1trust Member Posts: 151
    Guess I'll lurk around until I decide whether to get a "practical" car or the car I lust after (300M). At least I can rent base models from Dollar for now to tide me over. IMHO leasing isn't such a hot idea now with the 0 % financing available. Too bad I don't trust buying rentals... I noticed people drive those 300Ms like I do (not to damage it, but it's enjoyable seeing what the car can do). I might have bought the cheaper practical car and continued to rent 300Ms but with the advent of the 300N I expect the Ms won't be available for renting shortly.
    And do you think something like LoJak would be a good investment for the 300M? Is the present theft deterrent system adequate to you?
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    The 300M IS a practical---its got lots of room, is good on gas, is reasonably priced (compared to caddys,bmw, mercedes, lexus etc), and just happens to be one of the best looking cars on the road. And it has proven to be reasonably dependable--the major compenents are well made and should last--some minor problems will be covered by your 3 yr warranty--which is soon to be extended by Chrylser---the 0% financing will probably end before year end, so you better decide soon. Dealers are very willing to give you a great deal right now as sales are very slow. Just do your homework and research the dealers cost. Add about $400-$600 for his profit and you should get a great deal.
    I have admired the 300M since it first came out. I only mean "practical" in the sense that I could get cheaper reliable cars that could fulfill my needs for less money, and I wouldn't worry about them being left in unsavory areas. IMHO the 300M is a beautiful car inside and out, and I am not panning this fine car. I enjoy its blend of luxury and performance... not quiet like a Lexus, but much more fun to drive than a Lexus. I never tire of driving one or looking at one.
    Guess it can't hurt to visit the dealer (keeping in mind the car buying tips... thanks).
    As for the 'practical' side of the car. Yes, I know what you're getting at no1trust. The honda civic is an incredibly 'practical' car. It will seat 4 easily, 5 in a pinch. Has great mpg and you can leave it almost anywhere w/o worrying much. The camry and accord are the next 'practical' step up ;)

Notice the quotes though. Personally, I spend enough time in the car that I want to have something practical and enjoyable. The accord/civic/camry just don't do it for me (though the new camry bodystyle is nice). Now is a great time for prices, but then again, the end of the year is always a great time. If you drive very few miles/year and want to get another car in 2-3 years, go for a lease. If you want to keep it a while, purchase - with the rates as they are, it's great. But don't wait till Jan - very good chance the deals will dissapear and the 01s will be gone.

Security - I'm fine with the system it has. I really am never worried about the security of the car. This is why - if someone wants to steal A car, then they will look for the easiest to break into. The little red flashing light is a great deterrent. If they are looking to steal MY car, then there's not a damn thing I can do about it. They want it? They'll just load it on a flatbed and drive away. You think anyone will actually care that the alarm goes off? ;) As for lojack... it's a great idea, but it's got a big flaw. It is not operable near airports, so what they do is take it to the local airport, find the sensor or dissasemble, and drive off. It prevents theives who are just looking to get any car and aren't very organized, but the little light does the same thing...

Boy am I babbling this morning or what?!? So who else is online at this time of the AM on a Sat. Let's hear it for working on saturdays! :-D
    beach15-

What a NIGHTMARE!!! Ok, the lawyer thing didn't work out. There are SOME good ones out there!

I think it's time to contact your Consumer Protection Department-

http://www.state.de.us/attgen/consumer.htm AND/OR your state insurance commissioner's office-

http://www.state.de.us/inscom/

This seems ALL out of control to me! I do NOT think that your car has to be brought to a repair facility that the insurance company says it has to be brought to. That is YOUR decision, NOT theirs!!

Keep us informed. This gets my blood boiling! I hate crooks!

fastdriver
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    First off, I'd like to thank you for your support. Yeah, this is very maddening, considering we were stopped innocently at a stoplight like your supposed to but have to go through this because some idiot doesn't know what he's doing. As for the Insurance Commissioner, they were called last Friday and got back to my mom this week and then called again yesterday, basically saying that they talked to their Allstate contact, and we should just pay the deductible (don't know why she said this as we don't have to), have the car fixed, and if we want a rental car, we can pay for it our of pocket and hopefully the other's State Farm will reimburse us.

Oh, just to let all of you know, the moron in the Volvo who caused this, was 70 years old and not wearing a seat belt. A whitness who was in the next lane over said this car passed him right before the light at 50-55 mph and it's a 40 mph zone. To top it off, guess what? He's claiming a medical condition and that he blacked out--I don't think so!!

Well, thanks, I'll give more details again when I get them.
    There's plenty of cheaper reliable cars out there aside from Honda or Toyota out there including my Kia (Ford Festiva). But the 300M would be my pride & joy... no hauling landscaping in that car. IMHO a person will not get excited about those aforementioned cars like one would over a 300M though. Look at the 300M owners here.
    beach15-

OK. Now the Insurance Commissioner wasn't much help. I CAN'T believe it! Maybe you need to call back and INSIST on speaking to the DIRECTOR of the agency and ask them if their department is there to help YOU as a resident OR do they represent the insurance companies???? How about the Consumer Protection Dept. to complain about the Ins. Dept.? Can the motor vehicle department help you?

Don't GIVE IN to their incompetence! That's how ALL these agencies get away with things. When I was having trouble with my 300M, if I didn't call Auburn Hills and insist on talking to someone there, NOTHING would have been done locally. You HAVE to be PERSISTENT!! Remember, the SQUEAKY wheel gets the oil!!!!!

I wish I was there to help you. You don't know how this gets my Italian temper UP!!! Remember- YOU'RE the INNOCENT ONES here!

fastdriver
    ottowkr-

Isn't this-

http://www.detnews.com/2001/autos/0111/03/b01-333368.htm

what Chrysler has offered on their cars in Canada or was it the same 3/36 just expressed in km?

fastdriver
  • sirharpersirharper Member Posts: 112
    *for all 300M club members*

As anybody ever considered submitting a question to one of the suggestion columnists? I figure if they can help some guy with a Plymouth Voyager run a 14 sec. 1/4 mile what can he possibly suggest for our M's that maybe we haven't though of! I will submit the question but I am looking for suggestions as to what I should have him focus on.
    How about something cheap and easy :D I'd like to do as much as I can, but since it's a lease...
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    The warranty in Canada is the same as US except in KM. 3 year 60 thousand K's and 5 yr. 100 thousand K's for powertrain. I have not seen anything about extending the warranty here in Canada. Hyundai has a great warranty in the US but just standard here in Canada, and I understand that in the US the manufacturers are trying to compete with this market.
    Yesterday I saw these pictures of the Dodge Super8 Hemi concept car, and it became immediately clear that this is the sister car to the 300N prototypes I saw a couple of months ago. The plan is for both cars to have the new 5.7 litre Hemi V8 which produces between 325 and 550 ponies. Here are the pictures with some comments on how things are different for the Chrysler version:

Ok...this is the rear. The cars are almost identical from this angle, except that the 300N does NOT have the greenish accent lines on the side of the car or the greenish tail accents next to the license plate. Notice the retro-style high side panels and 3/4 height windows like I described earlier. Also notice that the butt is almost directly from a 300M.

Rear View

This is a view of the front of the car. There are several significant differences between this and the 300N. First of all, the 300N headlights are flatter, round, and sit lower on the front of the car. They don't have the reflector assembly that you see here molded to the fender/hood area. They are more frontal in nature. Again, in this picture you see the greenish highlights of the super8 which the 300N does not have. I also don't remember the windshield being quite so small or the reverse roof pillar that you see here. I think the windshield on the 300N was less radical, with a bit more slope and surface area than what you see in the picture. The LARGEST difference between the 300N and this picture is the grill work. The super8 in the picture has a distinctive Dodge truck-like grill, while the 300N has a grill that looks more like the Chronos concept car.

Front View

Here is a picture of the Chronos concept car. Imagine this grill a bit more vertical and applied to the super8 front end and you'll get an idea of what the 300N prototype looked like.

Chrysler Chronos

Finally, here is a shot of the super8's interior. It uses many of the same design features as the 300N prototype interior. Notice that it also has a strange futuristic look to it that is also very retro, with large round gauges mounted on the dash. The 300N interior that I saw was textured blue/black leather and vinyl with lots of aluminum looking highlights. It wasn't as radical, but it certainly was in the same family...definately NOT what I would expect in a luxury-oriented car. In fact, I think the interior was by far the worst aspect of the N prototype.

Interior View

Now, having said all this, I think the 300N prototype was a much more attractive car than the super8 that you're looking at even though it is very similar. The 300N had less exterior nooks, crannies and angles and looked cleaner and more classy. The rear was a bit longer but shared the 300M look. The roofline, windshield and grill was less radical. However, these pictures give the best view of what DC's thinking is/was for the 2004 300N based on what I saw.
    When I went out to run errands today I drove by the local Mobil station to get some gas. Like most weekends there was a group of young people in the parking lot washing cars to raise money for something (this time was a baptist church group). At each of 3 stations (wash, rinse, dry) I got at least 3 or 4 "nice car" comments, plus I heard a lot of other comments through my closed windows. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. heh.
    I hope they don't build eather of those cars, to me they are very Ugly. It looks like most of the good stylists have gone to GM, too bad.
    I agree. My first reaction to the car was shock. lol. Pretty sure that's not what they were going for. However, over the couple of hours that I was there it kind of grew on me. I wouldn't own one, but it didn't seem as ugly at the end as it did at the beginning. It also benefited from a gorgeous platinum metallic paint job and bright studio lights shining down on it.