Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    They forgot to secure the handle mechinism. it is a simple fix (woops I forgot about who I was talking about), but maybe not of anything lower than a 2* dealer. Mine did the same thing when the motors were replaced. I fixed it myself took less then 5 minutes.
  • hmk123hmk123 Member Posts: 122
    I have a 2001 300M with PHG and have noticed a rattle coming from the rear passenger side. I guess I have to have someone else drive it and sit back there to locate where it comes from. It sounds like it is coming from around where the rear passenger side seat belt is located. But it could also be the door. Most noticeable on rough pavement at highway speeds. Does anyone else have this problem? It seems to have gotten worse in the past 2 months. It does sound like some plastic part rattling. When I looked back there I noticed how relatively loose all these parts are. Anyway, any suggestions would be great. I haven't taken it to the dealer for this problem yet. Overall, I totally love my 300M. I think it is a fantastic car!

Thanks,
    Hans
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Are you serious, about having a meet? If so do not have it in Mid January (Barrett/Jackson Auto show). I would be interested. My M always looks forward to a good drive.
  • avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    is that in california?
  • dubbeddubbed Member Posts: 33
    is that in california, no its in az baby. why, u thinkin about comin out? if so let me know man, you'd have to bring the ride too, so we can take pictures of the twins!!! lol
    you better let me know man.

tom
    (DUBS)
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    I think the windshield dash glare on my 99 is the worst I have ever seen. I tolerate it, just barely. It is mainly only a dangerous problem when the sun is bright and overhead, or at night in a parking garage with really bright lights. Otherwise I can see the dash most of the time and it's just annoying.

I've noticed on my mother's 2000 Concorde some dash texturing changes were made to help the problem and it really does, although not completely, more like most cars. I assume the 300Ms from 2000 on are similarly modified.

Yeah I know about the effects of Amour All and such, but that only seems to make really bad become really really bad.

Now I know it's usually illegal to tint the windshield, but I'm wondering if there is somekind of glare reducing film that's possibly clear and can rid this problem. I am assuming that if the windshield were tinted with regular tint film say 50-60%, the glare would be reduced or be gone. Is this a correct assumption?

Anyway, I've found that black matte nylon material (like on the back of my Magic Shade) when placed on the dash eliminates the glare completely, but I don't want to cover my beautiful dash over some darn glare.

Any ideas?
  • mbrown15mbrown15 Member Posts: 10
    I took them to be suggesting a potential meet in California. I assume in the San Diego area. If you guys get momentum for it, I would be interested. I am in Colorado.

On that subject, would anyone be interested in a meet/rally in Colorado in the Spring?

I thought a cruise over Trail Ridge Road would be cool. It is the highest continuous paved road in the world.
    Check:

http://www.gswindowtinting.com/UsTintingLaws.htm

Laws and amount of tint vary by state.

• pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    Polarized sunglasses will eliminate the glare during the daylight hours.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    you must have a lighter colored dash--I have agate and have no problem---lighter dash colors do give off more glare---you could paint it flat black--that would solve it---I cant think of any real solution---anyone else?
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    I have a death rattle sometimes in my rear driver's side door. It goes away if I roll the window part way down and back up. I'll have my X* look at it when I go in to have my seat movement fixed. Try that next time you hear it to see if you have the same thing.
    Yeah guys, I was thinking about a southern california meet that could be easily accessed from LA and San Diego, and even Vegas, AZ and other SW areas. Part of me would want to have it out in the middle of nowhere off the coast (e.g. San Bernardino county), but hell...if we're going to have a meet, make it a beach trip, right?! Lol. Still tinkering with the idea but I'll let you know. Another good choice would be possibly a Vegas meet. That would be cool to cruise the strip all Zainoed up. :)

My motivation is that I want to attend a meet, but it's very hard for me to get away from the job, mortgage, wife and 3 kids for longer than a couple of hours.
    Now you're talkin' :)
    My wife would kill me if I went to Vegas without her. She loves the place, and I'd saddle her with kids 7, 4 and 8 months. lol! Maybe I'll have my doctor prescribe a "mental health break" for me to handle the stress of my pending unemployment. :)
    Ok...these guys are bizarre. YOu guys know that I always rent a mid-size or full-size basic sedan for the cheapest rate possible, right? Remember that two trips ago they gave me a Sebring Convertible. Last trip they gave me a Volvo S80 (nice!). Today I went out to find my little mid-size, expecting a Mazda 626 or some similar car, and sitting in my numbered spot was Big Red....Exterra. While I loved the color (grin) I was surprised to find a full sized 4WD SUV with full bull-bars on the front and a luggage rack that would make a Land Rover jealous. I checked the tag hanging from the mirror (it clearly had to be a mistake) and yep, it was mine. Good grief! I feel like I'm driving Bigfoot out there. I'm ready to run over the top of anyone that gets in my way. lol
    the suv should be nice for a change--but dont drive it as aggressively as the M unless you like standing on your head---cornering stinks in those big SUV's---what are they doing to your M?
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    The Vegas meet concept sounds good; I think we'd get a big turnout for that. The Colorado members should do a run in the spring, Trail Ridge Road, or maybe Mount Evans . . . .
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    I had the same problem with my 01. When you open the rear doors there is a black moulding that looks like a speaker box that is at the top of the door, and this is where it was coming from, and it was coming from both doors. I also had a rattle coming from the right front passenger door. My dealer took 30 mins to fix. Hope this helps!!!
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Well today was my lucky day. Got to take a special out for a spin. The first thing you notice is the pull of the line , guess using the rear gears from the 2.7 really do help. The shifts seem more crisp and the exhaust has a nice little bark to it ,even makes a nice little growl when it shifts under hard acceleration. The handling is tight and the suspension is not as rough as I thought it may be with the lowering.All in all a nice car.

rdl40 - if you can get the last 6 digits of the vin I can try to track your special and let you know when its being built.ask your dealer ,he should be able to get the vin for you.
    what brand and model tires are they using on the special--is the ride any quieter than previous years---
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    I noted recently on the Detroit News site that the 2002 Woodward Dream Cruise is set for the August 17 weekend. I have already marked my calendar, and hope we can end up with a major turnout at the Cruise and then go visit the Brampton factory. Hope to see you all there!!

I will be down at Fort Campbell later this week and hope to meet Phases and compare Ms if the weather and our schedules allow it.

Any additional thoughts on changing the differential fluid? Since I am now at 36K miles, I will probably do it out of caution on my next oil change unless it ties into the tranny fluid system and would mess that up or I get a definitive "don't need it" answer somewhere.
  • arby500arby500 Member Posts: 68
    Hi, I'm probably going to buy a 300M today. My wife and I test drove a Onyx Green one last night. I've been reading about the 300M since it first came out. Does anyone own the Special and what is the difference between the regular model. The only thing I can tell is 5 more horsepower and dual color interior and exterior colors.

How has you 300M's been holding up? Chrysler has the 0% financing on so it looks real attractive to buy one right now but this would be my first Chrysler product other than an old, used 72' Plymouth Valiant I had as a commuter car about 15 years ago.

I enjoyed the Autostick on the 300M... A lot! I test drove the Mercedes E330 and BMW 330 and 530. But for $20,000 less and cheaper maintenance prices, the 300M is very attractive to own and fun to drive. (Even though my wife will do the majority of the driving of this car. She loves the way it drove.)

Should I buy the 300M?
  • radtechradtech Member Posts: 10
    With the GREAT financing being offered now and the 7 yr / 100K warranty, you should jump on it!The only problem I can foresee, is you and "the wife" are going to be fighting all the time....My turn to drive,... No, my turn,... No, you drove it last, now it's my turn...HEY, Maybe you should buy TWO!

Good Luck with whatever you decide ...you will not be disapointed
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    arby500 - buy it! We're not biased here, no way :D

hmk123 - I had the same exact sound from the front wheel and it turned out ot be a whel bearing. It' speed related and sounds like a plastic rattle - though mine got very loud after 1-2 days. If it's really plastic, great, but...

sdmike - enjoy the suv - but you'll like the M all that much more when it's back ;)
    I've got the dark interior and not had a problem with glare. I use some leather armorall on it (and the rest of the int) as well. I had a 98 concorde with a light interior and had not noticed, but then again, it's not an AZ sun either ;)

I like the idea of the window tint. Thanks for the link mbrown!
  • radtechradtech Member Posts: 10
    AV- Any update on when I can buy that Hood??? Hell, I'll even make the trip up there to pick it up!! Give me a reason to hang with the Bro's!!

Got the brake prob solved, smooth as glass now! New rotors and pads on the repair shops dime!!

Now my prob is vibration, had the tires balanced, again, and still no joy, going X-mas shopping for 20's and new treads!!

Changed the plugs to autolights (regular) and have not noticed any real difference

Vegas sounds like at good idea, I might even make that one, if you decide to do it!

Doc- How ya doin'

otto- How do you say ENVY in Canada??? 300M Special ride!
    Now I think I'll have to get a special too... Wait, I just got my M less than a year ago... What do I do???
  • spyboyspyboy Member Posts: 22
    Long time, no post...Anyway, '01 Silver 300M. Parked in city garage and some
    moron pushed cart or truck scrapping the ENTIRE pass. side bottom cladding.
    It won't buff out because it's the vinyl composite stuff so it must be replaced.
    Looks to be an easy fix and was wondering if any of you know of a place to buy
    replacement body parts. Maybe a junk yard specializing in 300M stuff? Lemme know.
    I could also use a pinky (male) for a left hand (lost several years ago) Must know how
    to play guitar. Thanks.
    try oem-car-parts.com for starters. They are pretty cheap all in all.
    The tires used on the Special are - 245/45ZR18 Michelin Pilot® Sport Ultra-high performance .You know I was enjoying the exhaust note and handling of the special and did not pay much attention to the noise
  • arby500arby500 Member Posts: 68
    Thanks for the encouragement. We had just come from the Toyota dealer after test Driving the Camry. It felt like I was driving my Dad's car (and I'm 42)!!!

Like I said, I had read about the 300M in a couple of magazines so I told my wife I wanted to stop at the Chrysler Dealer before heading home. The Salesman immediately gave me the keys, we got inside, my wife loved the interior (A major plus. We've been looking at more expensive vehicles which were so-so. In fact the Mercedes E330 front driver seat was so hard it felt like I was sitting on a park bench.) I drove it for a few minutes and told my wife, "You gotta drive this!". She got in, put her foot on the accelerator and said "WOW!" So it looks like the 300M will be the car. :^)
    in getting the M. It's a great car at a really nice price (boy, don't I sound like an ad ;) Have you seen the Special version btw? If you haven't bought it yet, I'd see if you can find a dealer with one to test drive. It's very sweet - dual exhaust, upgraded amenities (basically most of the options) etc...
  • jmcmanusjmcmanus Member Posts: 11
    I am thinking of replacing my OEM Michelin tires (30K miles) and one dealer recommended Falken ZE 502 tires. They are alot less expensive than new Michelins, being only $80 plus mounting per tire. Does anyone have any experience with Falkens? My 1999 has the performance package so I am looking a V rated, 16" tires.
    radtech- ENVY EH !!!

We were given a info sheet about the 04 cars at work recently. We will stop building second Gen LH cars in Sept 2003.It will take them 8 weeks to re-tool the plant for the LX model .The first 2004 customer car will be built Jan 2004.
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    Well, my M is in the body shop for repair of the damage caused when the bike rack in my own garage fell on it. So I'm driving an Enterprise rental now. I reserved a full size sedan thinking that I'd probably get a Grand Prix or a Malibu (that's what I've gotten from Enterprise in the past). However, this time they were out of cars in the size class I reserved, so they upgraded me to a full size Dodge pickup truck. My last vehicle, before my M, was a Ford F-150, which I hated because of the handling, the huge size, etc. Well, this Dodge makes the F-150 seem like a sports car. This thing is HUGE and feels so isolated from the road that yesterday, while starting up from a red light, I couldn't feel the rear tires spinning until I hit dry pavement and they hooked up! Boy, will I be happy to get my 300M back!
    Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
    I'm out of town on business..pretty much like every M-W anymore. :/
    Otto! Muh Man! I'm glad to see you get to have a *little* bit of fun up there. Interesting to hear your impressions on the Special too. Have you driven enough M's to really tell if there is an acceleration difference? I calculated once that the 2.7 gears would make about a 6% difference in time to 60...essentially dropping a 1/2 second off. Not too bad. I've considered doing a swap since it's the same tranny. I don't remember...did you say one of your buddies there said I couldn't do a straight swap? I have a fuzzy memory (no offense, fuzzy...lol).

So, what's up with the '04? Anything other than a schedule? I've been riding with my information from the market survey event for a couple of months now, and it would be nice to get an update from you if you hear anything else.
    Congrats on your pending purchase. I drove a lot of $30,000 things before I bought "Big Red", a fully loaded '01 Inferno Red, including the Acura TL, ES300 (last year's), Avalon, Diamante, Millenia, and others. I hadn't really considered a domestic car, but on a lark I went to Edmunds just to see what else was considered in the the entry luxury class. I didn't know what a 300M was, but it was listed so I figured I should go look at it. I was almost immediately sold. The size (I can fit 3 car seats across the back), comfort, performance and looks overwhelmed everything else I looked at. It's also been fun to mess around with (spoiler, dual exhaust, tinting, shaved lettering, etc.) which is something I'd never do with a MB or bimmer. All in all it's been a joy. If you get it, I don't think you guys will regret it.

Big Red's Page
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    300 Michael - Thanks for the info on the door mechanism. Hopefully that's the problem, but do you think they actually had to get into that area with just replacing the bezel? (and the door won't open from either side by the way so it's not the child safety lock).

SDMike - If I took my car to the dealer for service I would definitely use Jeep (I go to Jiffy Lube). As far as warranty work, they told me when I first bought the car that they prefer to not do it as the service techs just are not familiar with the 300M (or anything but an SUV for that matter)which I think is another sign of their good service.

Easy - I bet they will replace all 4 bezels. No way my car is going to have one of each on both sides--it is a noticeable difference. The service manager didn't enven hesitate to replace the first 2 (and the 2nd one was out of warranty). Im sure they'll deny the scratch. Looks like any easy one to fix with touch-up paint anyway.

Can anyone answer my question re: their outside window bezels on the 2000 M's? Are your's one solid piece or 2 pieces (with the pillar and back half-oval shaped section on the rear doors as separate pieces)? I need to know if this was a design change or...yet again a misordered part. Otto, do you know?
    blonda - be careful with Jiffy Lube - I went there for the last time about a month ago. They kids that work there (most of them are young and very inexperienced) stalled out my M! I wanted to strangle him. I heard him saying to a partner he was playing with the autostick. I'll play with his autostick.... :(

Anyway, I spoke to him after they finished - told him never to even think of playing again, and talked to his manager as well. However, after watching them - doing the change yourself should be a piece of cake. The filter is on the drivers side of the engine at the front, the bolt on the pass side at front. Jack up the car, and go to town. I'll be doing that from now on...

Scotian - I'll look at mine, but I think we have different trim. I've got the 01 and it has a chrome trim around the windows - did they not have that on the earlier models?
    Chrome was an addition for '01.

I don't mind using a lube shop, since these guys do dozens of oil changes a day...and one would think they'd be pretty good at it. I just take my own filter and oil (both Mobil 1) and they charge me about $8-$10 for the labor.
    Just watch the guys who pull your car in (as noted ;) I saw them stall out at least 2 different other cars - that were manuals. My wifes old Acura, they could barely move. Granted she had 130k on the one clutch, but...

Usually they are ok, but the M was the last straw. Can't be that hard to do myself...
    ...paying $10 to avoid the hassle of jacking up the car, doing the work, disposing the oil, and cleaning myself up (and the drain tub, etc.) is worth it. Of course, just my personal opinion. :))
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    I change my M's oil myself every other time (in between 7,500 mile service trips to the dealer). A few tips: I don't find it necessary to jack up the car. The oil filter is difficult to access; the best (only?) way to remove it is with one of those black plastic/nylon socket caps that fit over the end of the filter. Be careful not to overtighten the drain plug in its aluminum hole - strip it and you'll wish you had paid someone else to change your oil!
    Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind next time. I may go for one this weekend...
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Scotian - thanks for the picture of the window trim. That's exactly what I have. The one they have replaced (so far) is the rear. The difference between the rear ones (even though they are on opposite sides of the car)is very noticeable. Still waiting for replacement on the front drivers side. I think I have a good shot at getting the other 2 replaced. It's obvious why they changed the design. The previous design is near impossible to get a clean fit. I have gaps all over the place and it certainly doesn't look right on a $30,000 car.

As far as Jiffy Lube - I have used them for years with no problems. The one by my house usually has the same people working there and I do the same as SDMike -- bring my own Mobile 1 filter.
  • jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    I seem to remember reading a few months ago that DC was going to try to expand its MOPAR performance parts business- as Mercedes does with certain AMG parts. Have you heard anything about the Special's exhaust &/or gear set becoming available for other M's? My local 5* does not have any parts lists for the Special yet, so they are no help (surprise, surprise :) ). As you may recall, I ended up buying a 2001M with PHG. (BTW- thanks for answering my e-mails requesting advice 6 or 7mo. ago!). Since I love the luxury group & chrome wheels on my car, (and since I can't swallow the $7-8K extra the dealer wants for trading my 01M in on a Special) I may just spend some $$ on dual exhaust and a gear set .

Jon
  • rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    Due for 30k service. Called to see what all needed doing and was told; normal oil change, filter, adjust drive belts, transmission drain and filter plus fuel injection service. $260.00 total.
    Do I need all this? On their reminder letter they (5*) had "replace power steering fluid" which I asked about and he said no they were'nt doing that.
    Is there some inconsistency here? I hate the distrust situation but, are they going to try to hose me? I hate being hosed.
    What really needs doing at 30k?
    Thanks,
    Rick/Geezer300M
  • hmk123hmk123 Member Posts: 122
    Thanks for your replies. I looked at the black plastic part at the end of the rear door. It seems a bit too loose. I will investigate some more and then I guess I have to take the car to the dealer. It sure seems like it rattles more now than it did a month ago. It's not the biggest deal since you can't hear it when the radio on. But it would be nice to know it is gone :-)

Thanks again,
    Hans