Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    Ok....didn't somebody here order the '99 LHS winged a/c dash vents for their car. If so, could you advise me of that particular p/n and where you purchsed it. I recall that you had them confirm that it was the vent with the wings. I need the agate color. Thanks guys for any help!
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    I hope to get back there again sometime, and this time take my wife. I was single last time. I'm not sure I'd take my M up that road. I remember it being pretty rutty, but nothing the rental car couldn't handle. lol! I've got fine memories of your town. Downtown shops open at 3am just because a cruise ship was in port, bald eagles flying around like they were crows (and some HUGE ravens), incredible cloud formations, salmon so thick by the inlet that you could walk across them, incredible food, the cute blonde waitress that used to give me free pie every night at dinner (grin) and some really nice people.

I spent most weekends there too I got to do a lot of fun stuff. The coolest was a sea plane flight down into tracy arm fjord and then a trip back to juneau by boat. The whales were jumping, so it took us three hours longer than normal to get back. I also hiked mendenhall (sp?) glacier and caught a king and two silvers on a boat trip in the passage. Ahhh..memories. :))
    achance, I'm surprised they're so attentive. It's not like you can drive in a 100 mile radius and find 10 chrysler dealers like we can. lol!

I have used 4 DC dealers for service in San Diego and all have been pretty competant. None of them communicate very well (I ALWAYS have to call them), and I too have been victim of the "must of ordered the wrong part" many times. Parts people are either complete morons or service guy learn to pass the buck early in their careers. But overall I get what I want without too much kicking and screaming.

I'd like to see the service training manuals for most dealers:

1) Be nice, understanding and prompt when the customer drops off the car.
    2) Make cryptic notes about the problem so the technician has NO idea what he's supposed to do.
    3) Promise the customer that you'll call once it's done. Don't call. Ever. When customer calls at 4pm tell customer you're "just now getting to it and it won't be done today".
    4) When customer calls the next day tell them it's ready to pick up, and make them drive the 30 miles to your place.
    5) Tell customer you could only replicate 2 of 5 issues.
    6) Tell customer that the parts for one of the problems need to be ordered, and you'll call him/her when it's in. Don't call. ever. Maybe send a post card.
    7) Tell customer the repair isn't covered under warranty. Any warranty. Even the extended one.
    8) Forget to order part, and tell customer later that "it didn't come in", or "the wrong one was sent/ordered".
    9) When part finally comes in AND it wasn't used for someone else AND the customer calls (never call the customer), make another appointment.
    10) Go to step 1 and repeat.
    I think it was scotian that was talking about that, but I'm not positive.
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Agate winged clock -- that's me. It looks great!

The part# went down with PhotoPoint, unfortunately. But I do still have the letter I faxed to a list of dealers given to me by a 5* parts department after they did a computer inventory search:

"Dear sirs:

I was given your phone number by Bloomington Chrysler-Plymouth-Jeep because the computer listed you as having part# QV64LAZAA in stock. I do not know if this is the part I need, however.

I am looking for the clock/vent trim bezel, in black/Agate color, that was in some or all 1999 LHSs, that has an art deco “wing” on either side of the clock face. It looks like this:

http://public.fotki.com/Scotian/300m/winged_clock/ns.html

http://public.fotki.com/Scotian/300m/winged_clock/ns-1.html

The one I have is smooth, and looks pretty much like this:

http://public.fotki.com/Scotian/300m/winged_clock/ns-2.html

I have been given three part numbers: QV64LAZAA, QV65LAZAA, and MN591AZ, any of which may or may not be correct. It is also possible that there is no part# difference between the bezels with and without the wings.

I would like to know if you have the exact part I am looking for; please verify the presence of wings by visual inspection, because I don’t trust going by part# on this.

Thank you very much!"

Chances are the dealers would love to get these off of their hands. Also note that the indentation for the clock is considerably wider with the wings.

• ceikostceikost Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone else get thls Security Warning pop up Flash 5.0 by Macromedia. Inc every time you scroll up or down 20 messages? I am tired of it.
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    Thanks for the help Scotian, I will begin looking for the part soon.
  • bobhex40bobhex40 Member Posts: 63
    I'm thinking of replacing my silver 2000 300M with something new. I love the car but the dealer service is so bad in this area I am hesitant on getting another one (one even installed a wrong windshield). I plan to visit a new dealer near where I work to view the 300M Special. I like the concept and some of the features, but the tires worry me in the winter and I don't want to deal with changing tires/wheels in the winter. My question is regarding the 2003. Do you think we might see the HID headlampa and more HP in 2003 on all models or all seasion tires on the Special???
  • cbwonguscbwongus Member Posts: 40
    So how does your grill look sans wings? Pics posted somewhere?
  • grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    Quality of service seems to be quite different depending on the dealer. I bought my car at Earnhardt Chrysler and had it serviced there several times (oil changes mostly). They treated me like a king. Earnhardt also has a Dodge shop, which is closer to my house. After changing jobs it became inconvenient to use their Chrysler shop. The service guys at the Dodge shop are horrible. Their "Express" oil change takes an hour and a half; they've "lost" appointments; I occasionally get attitude from them. It amazes me that the two places have the same owner and I get such different results.

Igor
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    I have no problems with the dealer I bought my 99 M from. It's been in for the driver side rear window motor (they replaced them all) and I'm taking it in for the loose drivers seat before the warranty runs out (it's got 33,000 miles on it). Other than those two things all it's ever been back for is oil changes. One time I took it in on my lunch hour for an oil change. After 45 minutes, they still hadn't started it, so I just got it and went back to work. That night, the dealership called to apologize, and sent me a certificate for a free oil change. It's Keystone Chrysler in Mission Kansas for anyone in the metro KC area.
    www.chrysler-parts.com now sells service manuals. Here is the link http://www.chrysler-parts.com/PP.asp?PID=105 Now, what I don't understand is what qualifies as a 300M from 1994 - 1998. lol
    oem-car-parts sells the grill emblem for just over $20. The "nut" for it costs a couple of bucks. The big chrysler emblem from the trunk of the LHS is about $45. For anyone shopping there, you have to look under the 2000 model. There are no llstings for the 2001 M for some reason.
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Often when I turn the headlight switch to "Off" I find the lights are still on. At first I thought I might have over-rotated a little bit and engaged the "Auto-Off" position, but carefully turning the knob to "Off" still fails to work properly (about 20% of the time). I believe this will be a prime candidate for a "could not duplicate problem" answer from most shops. Has anybody got an idea about a possible cause? How about the notorious "Body control module"? Thanks in advance.

Silver
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    That's happened to me before a few times too. I always assumed the same...that I went to far, but really I'm pretty sure I didn't. They do turn off after a couple minutes (auto off).
  • triffnertriffner Member Posts: 31
    I finally took it out of the dealers hand and filed for an arbitration hearing. I only had to describe my problem and provide copies of the numerous invoices from the dealer who was trying to fix something that didnt exist (thats what they said). Their mistake was each time they would supposedly fix the problem they would test drive the car w/o putting any miles on it, huh? Yes, thats what they did and of course said yep, that was the problem and now it's fixed.
    I was so excited, until of course drove it and realized it wasn't fixed.
    I will say they tried, they replaced one wheel saying it was bent and came from the factory that way? I dont believe that because this car drove perfect when I test drove it.
    Of course that didnt fix it. They then came back and said the front rotors were warped, so they replaced them. Guess what, that didnt fix it either.
    They then came back and said the problem is with the Goodyear tires, that, was revealed to them in 1999. Keep in mind I was the one who told them about the problem with the tires after rading about it here. Yes, there is TSB on it, but of course NO ONE there knew about it! So they put the new CONTINENTIAL tires on it, the cheapest ones that would fit. And I was so excited when I drove my car home from the dealer and the shimmy was gone. I finally had back the beautiful car that I purchased. Until, 2 days later. Guess what?
    The shimmy was back with avengence!
    I don't know what is wrong with this car, I'm not suppose to know how to fix it, the dealer is! Well the bottom line is, the arbitration board called out a third party (a retired gent from GM)who has been wanting to buy a car like mine and he was SHOCKED at the difference between the way my car drove and the new one drove. Beautiful no problems at all. It was ugly inside compared to mine, I have the beautiful 2 tone interior with the taupe and the pearl, and mine has the chrome tape on the door switches, cheap but looks better (I think) Well he ruled in my favor and this dealer was ordered to fix my car. They didnt tell them how to fix it. He suggested to them that a set of Michelin tires and new wheels would probably avoid a buy back of this car but so far I dont know if thy heeded his advise. They have had my car for 4 days now, so I guess we'll see. I for awhile thought I was crazy, not this car, but finally someone agrees with me there is something wrong with my car. Dont get me wrong, this was my dream car. My husbands father died and left us the money to pay cash for it. I wanted it to be everything I had heard it was. I love my car, I just want it to drive like the car I know it was meant to be.
    SDMIke -- I like your list. My dealer uses that manual.

Just for some comparison, the local BMW in my area has a reputation as being "one of the best". A friend of mine had purchased an used 5 series there w/no problems or complaints. Her husband later decided to buy himself one too so was negotiating for a 3 series. When he tried to walk out because they wouldn't come down on the price, the saleman threw the car keys at him. I mean really threw them hard. That to me is pure snob. I can't believe that a couple months later he actually went back and bought the car from the same dealer. An guess what....it was a lemon. Nothing but trouble. All their fixes didn't work and he was really unhappy with their attitude. He filed the lemon law and had his money back from them within 2 months (they weren't too happy about giving him that check either). Guess what he bought to replace the brand new Bmer? A '69 Camaro.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    I had the no turn off problem with the headlights. I noticed it after Sep 11 when my base went to high security and you were supposed to go to parking lights while approaching the gate for entry. It may have existed for the 3 years before I had to start going to parking lights, I will just never know. It did it sporadically, but given that offenders are given a hard time and full search, I took it to the dealer. As luck would have it, it replicated for the service rep and he wrote it up. Unfortunately, when the mechanic called DC he was told to check the circuits for the switch, relay, and computer thing [BCM] while the lights were malfunctioning!!! Well, needless to say it would not replicate for the mechanic. They said that since they have had problems with the switches before, why not start with that[$80 under my extended warranty]. We did, and so far it has not occurred in about 10 days. If it does occur again and the relay[$11]I will eat that, but if it turns out to be the BCM [$300+] we are going back to the Warranty people. Point to make, if you can get it to replicate and also find the dealership open at that time, make sure the mechanic has his voltmeter handy, if possible, don't turn the car off after the service rep has seen it or the problem might not replicate for the mechanic. They wanted me to comeback when it was in a malfunction mode and I said: Who will be here at 0530 or 1800 to work on it, or do I just let it idle til 0730 when you guys start showing up? Response: Ah...ok, let's change the switch. Oh, and by the way, I never--not once have used the automatic light feature, so I don't even know if that worked on the old switch.

LHS Wings emblem Part #4857279AA From Wyckoff Chrysler off the net at $25.93 plus shipping. Goes on very easy with the sticky backing. I have mine just above the lock on the trunk, it is flat enough to adhere fine there.
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    The best look is to remove the trunk lock and place the wings over the hole, making sure you install a piece of twine so you can pop the trunk manually from inside. I'd show you pics, but they were lost with PhotoPoint.
    I had this happen to me as well. The lights wouldn't turn off with the switch in any position. I thought originally that the light sensor (for auto) was blocked, but then when it wouldn't turn off with the switch in the off position I knew there was a problem. The problem didn't go away until I turned off the car for a bit and it hasn't come back.
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    sent you a file called walkTest.htm which contains a style sheet that when applied to the text will make it xsmall, verdana font, etc....hope this helps you out....

Doc
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Please email me with your name and membership number as I'm updating my spreadsheet and want to include this info on it.

sdmike2: sent you ANOTHER htm document I modified from your original code using a stylesheet created in Dreamweaver. The first message gave me a "delivery failure" message. Hope this helps you out....

drpixel/Glenn
    I saw our post on the Yahoo site that you have custom wheels. You have the Steel Blue right? You weren't by any chance parked at Restaurant Row in SM last weekend where you? If so, I saw it -- beautiful car (and I really liked the wheels)
    Glenn--just remembered...you have the silver. It's MRL that has the Steel Blue. Well anyway, someone around here has a nice steel blue with 18" wheels.
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    It's not mine. I have stock chromies.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    triffner-

Click on my name and you'll see what replaced my "wicked" Christine! ;-)) Some poor soul in Providence, RI is driving her now.

You were luckier than me. At least your problems didn't START until after 10 months! Mine started on day one and took 10 1/2 months to resolve when I solved the problem MYSELF with Goodyear.

Through reliable sources, I found out that Chrysler spent $3,300 in WARRANTY repairs on Christine in the 33 months and 35,500 miles that I had her! SOME might call that "normal". NOT me!

fastdriver
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    I still have the wing on the front grill. I ordered on and recieved it broken so I installed it on the back with 3M double sided tape and (My favorite) shoe goo.
    If you put the wing that low (trunk) why not have the papst ribbon logo pop out so you can still use the key. You can attach it to velco, or use magnets to hold it in place. I was thinking of doing this, but liked the wing higher up on the trunk. Then went with the 300M logo to cover up most of the key.
  • contadinocontadino Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone,
    I have been an occassional lurker but now could use your collective advice. Last week I was bumped in stop and go traffic (Hwy 94 in St. Paul for any twin citians). It was hard enough to knock everything on the passenger seat onto the floor- my guess is about 5 mph. The guy that hit me said "don't worry about it the bumpers are made for that". Anyway I can't see any damage - not even a paint scrape. Do you think there could be any hidden damage to the bumper support etc? Or if it was bad enough to do that I would notice something external as well?
    Any thoughts?
    2000 300M 30K
    Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a fairly common problem from the responses posted. Not a serious problem yet. It's just that when I am in a hurry and look back at the car and see the lights still on, it means I gotta unlock the door and fiddle with the switch. If I have any other warranty issues (knock on wood) I'll have the switch replaced at that time.

Sounds like Blonda and sdmike et al are getting together in their area. Anybody in Dallas/Plano want to meet for coffee? I would enjoy seeing your rides.

Silver
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Doubt you will see much or no changes to the last model of the LH cars. As the replacement for these cars comes in 2004 . We usually build some next model year pilot cars in Feb or March so I will find out soon ,what if any changes will happen.
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    I suggest you have your dealer look at it. Check all the rear cut lines for evenness, and get it on a lift for a look see at the underside.
    Also, check all rear light functions.
    If everything checks out OK, at least your mind will be at ease.
    Good luck!
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    I had my unidirectional tires rotated (front to back only) last night and afterward noticed that my car now pulls to the left. Alignment was perfect before the rotation. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this. I also had them check the tire pressures, so that should be OK. I think I'll go back to Discount Tire (where I bought the tires and had them rotated) today to see if they have any idea what could cause the new pull.

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    I live in McKinney and would be interested in getting together sometime to compare notes (and M's). I work in Las Colinas, which is a long drive from Plano, so it would probably have to be on a weekend or pretty late in the afternoon. It's usually well after 6:00 PM when I get back to our side of town on weekdays.
    I'm looking forward to getting my M washed today after the rain we've had lately, but it was nice to get to really check out the wet weather handling of my Goodrich Gforce KDW's!

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
  • bullseye3bullseye3 Member Posts: 12
    Lynn,
    I would say you have the dreaded radial tire pull. In my experience the only way to correct this problem is to isolate the bad tire and have it replaced. It will continue to pull no matter what you do with the alignment. Having the bad tire on the back does not produce a pull as bad as it does when it is on the front. Usually the bad tire is on the side the car is pulling towards. Hope this helps.
  • bobhex40bobhex40 Member Posts: 63
    I just read an article regarding the 2004 300M on Car and Truck News. The car is beautiful. If you guys will build it I will buy one... When would you build pilot 2004s? Or would they bring prototypes to the factory?? Have you seen anything about this vehicle? Schedule?? I think its going to be a hit! You guys build a nice vehicle. I wish the dealers supported you with the same quality.
  • mmcccmmmcccm Member Posts: 19
    I'd be interested in a get-together sometime. I live in Allen and work in Plano. You all could see how dirty my car is! :) I don't post much here, but try to keep up with what's going on in the forum.

-MMCCCM
    I would also check the rear bumper pad (it is stryofoam) for cracks or damage. It is designed to absorb much of the damage to keep the bumper from cracking.
  • cbwonguscbwongus Member Posts: 40
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/columns/healey.htm

This article sounds like it is trying to tout new tech, and I am sure there is some subtle difference that make it different that what we have. There is a comment in the article about letting up on the accelerator at a shift, should I be doing that in my M. Right now I just keep it down and she shifts smooth, but am i screwing up my car?

"For another, the missing clutch pedal makes you forget to let up as you move the shift lever or buttons, as you'd do driving a regular stick shift. What you get if you hold your foot on the gas during a shift is a sports car that falls on its face between gears. Unseemly. But if you perfect the art of letting up at the right instant, and returning to the gas a moment later, then you get lovely, crisp, effortless shifts. But it takes work to become consistently good at the technique"

• mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    Just got back last night, into a brewing blizzard which really hit overnight, with 1 fatal so far and hundreds of accidents and it looks like it will keep up all week-end. I agree that So Cal would be better for your M meet as tourism is down in Vegas and they seem to be making it up with the tourists. I stayed at the Sahara, which I have stayed for the last 3 years, and they have added a $3.00 a night energy charge, but they don't tell you that until you check out, apparently they say they leave a note in your room, but they forgot in my case. They have also added a time share group that jump all over you everytime you walk through the lobby or through the casino.
    I lodged a complaint and informed them that they have lost a customer. I only saw 1 M during my stay and this was a rental with base equipment. I saw a almond M on display at the MGM Grand and it had a big dent on the drivers door as well as a big scratch or black mark on the rear bumper. Not too impressive. I did the Red Rock tour which I am impressed with. My rental was a Neon, which was cheap, and reliable. I hear that the Alladin which just opened I believe last year is really in financial difficulty and is ready to close, a shopping center just south of he strip on Las Vegas Ave. is almost vacant and a car dealer is using part of the parking lot as a storage yard for new SUV's Security at airports were not really that bad and is running smoothly.
    I hope you folks enjoy your meet wherever it may be. I also noted that there were over 200 posts in four days. What do you people talk about??????
    http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b012502.htm

remember...you heard it from me first...about 5 months ago, ;)

wow. sounds like things are rough there. so....how's your killer slot? ;)
    Larry and Lynn,

Since I live in Park Cities and you both live North side maybe we could meet in Plano some Saturday morning for coffee. Name a place we can all find easily and decide when. I am busy tomorrow. We will be at the Olympics from 2/13-17, otherwise I'm free. Just let me know. Thanks for the interest.

Silver
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    Let's not even go there. I will say that I added to your economy in a small fashion. I did find something interesting in the number of people who were flying American flags on their vehicles.
    It was quite comical but there was one old babe who had 4 flags flying from an older Caddy which was in great shape. She was travelling so slow that the flags hardly moved in the breeze and all other drivers were honking at her to make her speed up, and I guess she must have thought that it was her patriotism that they were honking at. So she would wave and smile, wave and smile, all at 5 MPH. LOL. Last Monday we did Red Rock and we were about 2 miles from the turn off to the entrance when we observed a pick-up which had lost control and rolled numerous times and emergency vehicles were just arriving. We came back about 2 hours later and the Police were still on scene so it must have been serious. The vehicle was back on it's wheels, looking worse for wear, but the US flag was still standing straight and proud from the roof, but did look a little weathered and dirty. Someone has sure made a pile of money on these flags and flag holders. I was impressed, I wish my country would be a little more patriotic, but you only have to look at our leader and you'll know why we aren't.
    Well, the number of flags being displayed at homes and on cars went up about 1,000 times normal after the 9/11 attack in NY. I don't have one on Big Red, but I'm flying one from my house. Funny about the little old caddy-driving lady. I'm sure she was, as you say, clueless that she was a "clot stuck in the artery of progress". ;)
    MRL (Mike), Glenn and Blonda - It was great meeting you guys today and seeing your great cars. When I got home my wife said "so...were they normal?". LOL! She remembers back to a meeting I took her to years and years ago related to a bulletin board (pre internet). Her comment then was "oh my god, what a bunch of freaks!". heh. I was happy to report that not only are you guys normal but also very nice. :) I'll post pictures of our meeting later this evening.

Mike - It would be great if you could call up to the carlsbad DC dealership and see if they want any involvement with our meet. We're looking at March 16. I still plan to go up there and scout around, but if you have an "in" already we might get further.

Glenn - When I chased you down the freeway onramp I heard YOUR exhaust over MINE! Nice! After I got gas at the Mobil (I assume you saw that I was tailing you) I went over to Betty's Car Wash and found the owner/manager. I dropped your name and he had great things to say about you and your wife. I had them polish out the scratches in the rear quarter panel and it looks simply amazing! I gave him $20 even though he said payment was optional (he seemed more interested in me being happy). I'm going to have my whole car done next week. It removed even the very fine swirl marks that were there when the car was brand new. Great job.

Blonda - It was also great to meet a female car nut! Your husband is a lucky guy. Glenn and I were sharing how our wives just don't understand our love of our cars. ;) Hey, if I need help trimming that dash piece to fit the cell phone holder I'll come see you. I'm not sure I have the stomach to take an exacto to my car. heh. Let me know if any of you guys want help installing a clock face if you have scotian make one for you.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you all how much I enjoyed the meeting. We'll have to do it again sometime...maybe lunch or beers somewhere.

Mike
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    I agree with the other opinions that you should have that the bumper checked for hidden damage. They are only designed for 2.5 mph into a fixed barrier so it's possible some of the components underneath are deformed.
  • 300mmm300mmm Member Posts: 27
    Well it's only a week old and the factory 4CD changer jammed today. Everything has been so great so far too . . . .

I got in to enjoy my first Friday drive home from work in the new M and pressed one of the load/eject buttons to switch a CD and nothing, it's jammed. Tried all the way home, it makes a faint effort (you can hear it trying to reposition and eject) but it's obviously physically stuck. Anyone experienced this? God I hate the thought of having to have the dealer take the console apart, I fear it will never be quite the same.
    What, no freaks allowed? LOL. That would leave me and my M out of it. All that tofu and being a vegan, and all. Plus even my M is a freak, with all the mods I have done to it.