Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• alta_300malta_300m Member Posts: 54
    The MXM4 on my 2001 PHP are factory standard in Canada. They are definately an 'All season' tread and are H & V rated. Here is the link to Michelin's site.

http://tires.michelin-us.com/catalog/tires/pilotmxm4.html

head to head comparison:

Pilot MXM4 Energy MXV4 Plus

High Perfomance 7 7

Everyday handling 8 8

Wet Traction 7 7

Winter Traction 8 7

Max Tread Life 7 10

Quiet Ride 8 10

All scores out of 10.

Summary: The Pilot's have a better Winter traction, but reduced Tread life and a little noisier.

You are too modest! I wish I had your ability to do the things you do with graphics. Yep its plaques not plagues, always hated those spell checkers. The guy who makes and sells the PT Cruiser laser etched plaques sells them for $16 US a pair (incl shipping). We hope to get the same price for ours, I think a small price to pay for something that really looks good.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    I was thinking that somehow we were in danger of catching the "etched silver plague", which I hear decimated the population Elbonia. ;)
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    I had Michelin MXRV-4s on my wife's 96 Aurora, probably a generation earlier than the "MXRV plus" that has appeared on the 00 & 01Ms. They were pretty good for the first 25K, but I noticed increased road noise and mediocre wet road traction as they got near to 40K. I would not have gone further than 40K with them, and that was with great care and rotation, etc. As we got nearer to 40K miles, it was new tires and an extended warranty plan, or a new car. I opted to save the $2K and buy her a 00 Eldo which was 20% off the sticker price. It also has Michelin XWs that have been great so far. With the MXRV-4s I had some hydroplaning incidents around 35K, but as I say they were the first generation of the MXRV tire and improvements may have been made.
    Doc - Thanks for the listing, and great logo. Now everyone can see how to contact me about the San Diego meet (and be reminded to respond to my invite). Also, I just noticed that Big Red *IS* on the site. I didn't know she was back on the dyno/mods page. Cool. :)

Alta - I'm in for $16 for a pair of those. I'll hold off on the stickers until we get a firm answer.
    7500 great miles on my V-rated pilots ('01 w/ PHG)
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    My M ('00 w/ PHG) came with V rated Pilots, I'm pretty sure they are the MXM4's. I've got 26K miles on them and think they're great. They grip terrifically in corners, do very well on wet roads, and are pretty good on snow (a little bit of initial slip sometimes starting out, but with traction control they dig in and get the car moving fine). I've rotated every 7,500 miles, and I've never had any vibration problems. They are quiet on asphalt but sometimes a bit noisy on concrete, particularly worn concrete. I'm guessing I may get another 10K miles out of this set. When it comes time to replace them, I may shop around for something cheaper, but I wouldn't hesitate to get the same tire again.
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    I did not know what all the hype was about in regards to these stickers as I really did not notice them, I just got back from a few chores and the whole time my eyes were drawn to these ugly stickers, and I might go for these "plagues". Is there a chance that they can come in the colours of our interiors as mine is sandstone and I think that would be a nice touch, or am I asking too much? I also notice that my stickers are starting to curl, but I don't want to tear them off, as it might look worse.
  • uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    As I had mentioned previously, I had e-mail correspondence with the company that makes them and received a favorable response. The following is the e-mail I sent this morning to them and an still waiting for a reply.

The air bag labels we want to cover are 2-3/8" high by 4-3/4" wide so the decal

should be 2-5/8" by 5" . It should have rounded edges or be the oval shape as

per the ones you are making now and be available in both the silver and black

with the Chrysler logo. A couple of people have also asked if you could make a

decal as shown on the attached site but with the 300M lettering about half the

size.

I already have about 10 people interested. If you could get back to me with

price and an expected delivery interval I will post it on the three Chrysler

forums I belong to along with your PT Warehouse URL.

Thanks

Mike Hicken

http://public.fotki.com/Scotian/300m/interior/clock_face/clock_face/shield1.html

• beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Anyone here going to the Baltimore Auto Show this weekend? We'll be there this Saturday and it'd be cool if possible to meet another M'er.
    Wonderful Mike,

Hopefully he will get back to you soon as we have been having quite the discussion about covering up the airbag stickers with these Laser etched Visor PLAQUES!

Note to everyone, please out of courtesy too uxca300m, the supplier and I, let uxca300m handle the negotations with the supplier or the supplier may get upset with everyone emailing him and requesting their own special customized plaque. I know it is going to be difficult to please everyone, but we are trying to get the best deal for everyone involved.

If he responds that 'customizations' are no problem then we can proceed to the next step.

Thanks,
    Mark
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    glennbp- the 300 trunk emblem is just a sticker. There are no emblems on the car that are bolted/screwed on to the body

300Hemi C , sorry guys this car will not be built. From the info I am hearing the next 300N looks nothing like the HemiC . BUT the 5.7 engine will live on in the N . I have actually talked to a couple of guys who has seen the car, and all they can say is how stunning this car is. I cant wait to see it for myself. Like each new LH car in 93 ,98 they say this will again blow people away . This time with a little help from our German counterparts Chrysler will have both show and go. We just have to wait for it.
  • arby500arby500 Member Posts: 68
    Otto, when do you think we'll get to see a pic of the next generation 300N? Alot of guys were looking foward to the Hemi C look. Not me, I'm content. (for now....) ... But a 8 cyl engine.. aarrrgghhhh.. I'm drooling again!

I hope you are back at work by now, Buddy!
  • bobhex40bobhex40 Member Posts: 63
    I have a 2000 without the PHP with Goodyear Eagle LSs that the dealer tells me that the front 2 are now bad (shifted belts) @ 21K. I think they have been bad since day 1 with a constant vibration. Anyway, thanks for the input Looking forward to my new tires when my replacement power seat assembly is delivered to the dealer.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    I have a very small color spy camera (less then a sq. inch) you can use. I hope they change their minds about the convertable Hemi C. It would be a shame to loose such a car.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    beach15-

Is your Mom going to this show too? :-))))

fastdriver
    Instead of tooth paste why not use playdo or clay? It ould keep the shape and let you know how large the gap is.
    Where the air will come from is going to be determend by air pressure too. If the engine compartment is pressurized (freeway driving) then it will suck more hot air from that area unless it is sealed better.
    air bag stickers to my attention. I think I have only seen them once (as I have used them only once) I too like the silver plaque and would be interested.
    I guess this means I have to stop using my feet to steer with LOL.
  • dukeofdallasdukeofdallas Member Posts: 52
    I just returned from the Super Bowl. That was quite an experience. Both the game and the city! The 7 hour ride from Dallas to NO was a breeze in the M. I didn't know that the cruise control only engages up to 85mph. Bummer. I was actually able to take it up to about 87 with the accel button.

At the risk of being ostracized by the group I will share my CD playlist for the trip. R. Kelly, Eminem, Dave Hollister, Lil' Flip, Swisha House, Outkast, and Ludacriss. Strictly R&B and rap for my car tunes.
    Thanks for the music, I will enjoy two songs a day (one to work and one comming home from work), only because I only drive .5 mile to work.
    Bummer otto. Looked like DC had a real winner there. I know the project had been off/on again several times according to those watching closely. I guess it's finally off again. I never heard a bad comment about the car, and almost everyone raved about its looks. I guess when times are tough it's hard to get low-volume speciality cars (like convertibles) approved for production.

I'm sure you'll let us know more about the '04 design when you find out. I can't wait to see if what I saw makes it all the way to production and how much it has/hasn't changed.
    Michael, you're welcome. Surprised it got there that fast. If you (and the other four) don't care for the tunes (they're not for everybody!), find an 18-year-old male and give him the CD - he'll dig it!

I'm disappointed to hear that the Hemi C won't be built; last I heard it was still in the plans. I doubt I would have bought one (probably not enough head room and too pricey), but I was really looking forward to seeing a few on the streets. Car-Truck News has this recent item on the the 300N: http://car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b013102.htm (sorry if this link has already been posted).

I hope they're right about the design and engine/tranny choices for the 300N. It will be interesting to see how they get 300hp out of this engine. Maybe DC decided to use the N prototypes for the concord/intrepid in 04 instead. If DC waits until 05 to introduct the N at least my M will have another year before the design is obsolete and I'm drooling for a new one. :)
  • ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    Well that does it... my next car wont be a Chrysler... Im going Rice... Nissan 350Z... Looks nice, has 280+ HP stock, and will have a huge aftermarket...

Chrysler is making a big mistake by not making the Hemi C... that car is beautiful ! I was drooling all over it... Only thing I didnt like about it was that it has a 4 speed auto transmission... thought it should have had a 5 speed... guess it doesnt matter anymore... :(
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Will who ever posted on the 3M stick on clear front bras please re-post the site info. You guys at 13,000 posts are hard to retrace. but keep it up, this is the most informative site around. What happened to Avalanche????
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    This is what I have. They were pricey when I got them; I think they raised their prices:

http://www.xpel.com/paint/product.asp?make=Chrysler&image1.x=5&image1.y=10

The fascia is a two-star instead of a one-star because I bitched to them about it. You want to have someone with you when you install that piece.

• ceikostceikost Member Posts: 30
    Count me in for a pair.
    Title sounds like a rock group doesn't it? Anyway, the 3M stuff should be available from your local Ziebart dealer. My neighbor is one, and he did my entire front area for $160. Stongard on the web also has similar stuff, but is pricey. I have had the 3M stuff on for 3+ years with no deterioration,no yellowing, and no special care, and it is hard to even see it on the car.

Hemi C. Well, that does it for me. My first Chrysler [99M] will be my last. Now I am going to have to wait a while because my next wheels, if I am still around, will be a one-year old Caddy XLR [formerly the EVOQ or IMAJ]. I couldn't go new, but an exec. will do. I cannot believe that DC would go with the Crossfire and drop the Hemi C. And they wonder why Chrysler is having mediocre sales performance. How about all those Special ads?? Fleeting glimpses in Chrysler commercials are all you see. These guys couldn't market a free lunch. No kidding, they are out of touch with the people who are most likely to buy there cars. Don't they monitor these forums? Or clubs?Just a little ranting here. On the plus side, I get to keep my M for a couple more years. Duals, new ART rotors and brakes, maybe some additional bass, are definitely on the horizon. Honest, hon...it really needs them.
  • illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    According to today's Car and Truck News, the Hemi C will be produced in 2005. http://www.carandtrucknews.com/
    I guess in the future if you want performance luxury you will have to go with a Neon then.
  • mboomgardenmboomgarden Member Posts: 39
    The brand I used was the Invinca-Shield. Their website is http://www.invinca-shield.com/main.htm . I only wanted to cover the front leading edge of my hood, though they have kits to cover the entire front of your car. As i recall, they were the least expensive for what I wanted and they use 3M Scotchcal to fabricate their products. I'm very pleased with mine.
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    Just a thanks-the badge came off no problem. I'm thinking of using it on the passenger side dash. It covers the "airbag" imprint just perfectly. If I do, I'll post some pics. Thanks again!
    I'm interested. How thick is this stuff and how noticeable is it after it's applied? Would you guys recommend it?
    I took the trunk badge, trimmed the "300" off it, very carefully, because the center contact area is large and gets rough when cut, touched it up with a sparkly silver nail polish so the rough edge would kinda blend in, and stuck the badge portion on the passenger side. I have a dash mat so it is on the mat rather than on the vinyl. Still looks pretty good. I took the "300" and smoothed out the rough contact area where it met the badge, and then put it on the center stop light on the trunk. Comments on this set up have been positive except for those who want a really shaved rear end.
    I'm interested. How thick is this stuff and how noticeable is it after it's applied? Would you guys recommend it?
    On a black car, the edge may appear if not detailed, but the plastic itself is completely clear and should never discolor:

http://public.fotki.com/Scotian/300m/exterior/exterior/mvc-006f.html

I highly recommend it.

Putting stuff on the airbag covers is probably not a good idea...
    Thanks Scott-I'm going to order. Sure beats having the front end of your car re-painted every couple years or so. My drive to work is 20 miles a day one way and it's all interstate; it's a mixed blessing; I get to open up "Francesca" daily but it takes its toll on the front end paint. As far as the 300M badge on the airbag, rarely does anyone sit next to me, but you're right, that badge would become a nice projectile upon airbag deployment!
    I recommend the clear bra, from whatever company you choose. I just checked, but didn't see a thickness on the Stongard site, but you can go there and call or e-mail them to see what the ball park thickness is. I would guess 10-15 mil max. They also have very good and inexpensive [$59 when I got them ] light covers that go on all forward facing lights. They are thick, flexible, have remained clear for 3 years, and are easy to install. Light assemblies in most of the new cars are like $150 to start on replacements, so you may want to think about those too. I can vouch for the Stongard ones, and I think there is another company called X-pell or something like that who make them.
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    I can see the crash scene emergency medical response guy saying "The kids allright except for the letters 'OOE' stamped into his forehead". :>)

Snow in Dallas today-big, gloppy melting flakes. I am about to go out and drive in it, but nothing is sticking to the pavement.

Left early this morning to take my wife and her Voyager to the shop. Still half asleep, I sideswiped the basketball goal post. Now I get to see if claybars will remove the black paint smudges on the two passenger side doors. I'm just sick about it, after all the loving care and endless coats of Zaino. My bad!

Silver
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    Putting the emblem on the air bag is a BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!! The air bag literally "explodes" open. The dash splits open like a water balloon. There's no way of determining which direction that emblem would explode or in how many pieces.
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    Yeah, I have to agree with the rest. Putting that emblem over the airbag lettering is unwise. If that bag went off the emblem could kill someone. You'd be better off putting it on the woodgrain trim or the glove box cover.

Cars that have emblems on the steering wheel centers use a very soft vinyl material and the bag cover is scored in such a way that the emblem stays attached to one side or the other.
    OK! OK! You win! Putting the emblem on the airbag was a stupid idea! I'll find another place. This all reminds me of driving with your hair on fire back in the 60's with steel dashboards, pointy controls and no seatbelts! It's a wonder any of us survived!
    My parents bought a new '59 Chevy Kingswood station wagon, 354 V8, which was the car I drove for my driving license test in '70. The car deteriorated as it aged, but my mother had it restored a few years back, with a new custom interior. It's absolutely beautiful today (won an editors' choice trophy at a Super Chevy show), and they did add lap seat belts during the restoration. Still, the steel dash, protruding knobs, and non-collapsible steering wheel give me a little pause when I drive it. I feel kinda naked without a three-point seat belt, and it takes a fair bit of pavement for those drum brakes to haul that big sled to a stop!
  • rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    Include me in for 2 of the plaques and if anyone is still interested in the shift knobs I have a buddy that has 15 or so at a GOOD price. I'll put an ad on the club register with details

Rick/Geezer300M
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    If they canned it, why are they still displaying it at the car shows? They first displayed it 2 years ago and they are still showing it off.
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Old car safety-The '55 Chevy steering wheel had a menacing spear point aimed at you. The '56 Ford tried to introduce safety features: Padded dash and seatbelts. People couldn't wait to have the dealer remove the belts! The safety features actually hurt Ford sales. After all everybody knew it was better to be thrown clear. Uh huh...
    In the 50's you could special order Chrysler brakes for your Plymouth, but there wasn't much else you could do to make cars safer.
    Cars are so much safer now that the driver is the biggest danger. I'll probably not exceed 80 in my M around this state, but hey, I can't even back out of the garage today without hitting something. LOL

Silver
  • tictac3tictac3 Member Posts: 78
    I, too, replaced the Goodyears with the Contis after only 20,000 miles. The car kept drifting to the right. 5* said it was due to road crowning. After numerous tire rotations and alignments, I finally was fed up. Went to local tire dealer and got the Contis for $115 each installed. What a difference; tracks straight as an arrow and much less noisy than the Goodyears. Did not keep the Goodyears so I guess I have no chance of any recourse from Goodyear (yeah, like they would do something commendable like that anyway!).
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Scotian -
    Have you tried that Trim Black yet? Mother's doesn't last very long on my whitened window trim problem (and I can't even blame it on salt).

Chrome knobs - is that just the knob itself? I have the fish scale shifter and I think I remember Avalance saying he had to replace the entire unit to the new style in order to use the chrome knob.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Yes, we'll all be in Baltimore on Saturday for the show; me, my brother, and my parents. So, yeah, Christine II's actual owner will be there. Why do you ask?

On another note, she just left from work and had my dad follow here so the car can go in yet again, this time to fix the seat (we think!) Yesterday she called the .1* from work just to see if the seat parts were in. What do you think? "Oh, yeah, they're here." To make sure again, she asked several times if they were the RIGHT parts. "Yeah, they told me they are", and "I'm sure they are", followed. We'll see!

Also, our windshield wipers still don't work and the "loose wire" was a lie as usual. But we also jsut noticed that at 16,500 miles, we already need new wiper blades because one has started to tear on one end. Our Voyager had 41k when we traded it, and it still had the original super-size wipers, why did this car's wear out already?