Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Yeah just finished reading the Buzz report on the Hemi C. Hey who knows maybe that guy has better info than little old me . I am only going by what I have heard.I hope they do build the C. If i find out anything I will let you all know.
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    I spoke to the General Manager at the Chrysler dealer in Carlsbad and he was VERY receptive! He was more than happy to assist in any way he could. I guesstimated 15 vehicles. As the time grows nearer, we'll need to attempt to narrow down the number of participants, and times/activities. Unfortunately, I don't think I can make it due to conflicts with my work. We'll have to see. Let me know more as it becomes available.
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Not yet. It'll have to warm up around here first!
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    That's GREAT news! Did he indicate that they have room for the cars? Do you want to remain the chief contact, or do you want to shoot me off an email with his name and number so I can hook up with him? My address is mritchi1@san.rr.com.

Sorry to hear you might not make it. It would be a bummer to not have that gorgeous steel blue M with us. Maybe we'll get lucky and you'll be "sick" that day. :)
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    I read that a few of the union reps were taken to Auburn Hills to view the new LX cars.

There appears to be conflicting opinions on what the new N is going to be like - a variation of the retro themed "New Yorker" or having its own unique body like the "Buzz" has been saying.

Heard any grapevine stuff from your union bros?
    I'll go ahead and remain the contact. Just let me know details as they solidify.
    driving with your hair on fire...?!

You really Michael Jackson or something??? LOL! ;)
    Will do. I'll likely go up there in the next couple of days to scope some things out (location of the dealership, place on the coast for photos, dinner location, hotels, etc.) to help solidify the plans. The thing we won't know for certain until game day is attendance.
    Hey glenn...slow day at the office? You're posting like me now, but I have an excuse. heh. :)
    Silver - OOE...lol! That's funny.

Rick - did you post that information on the chrome shift knob yet? I haven't been able to find it.

-Mike
    No problem. Please just keep me up to date on expected attendance as people respond.
    I'll want confirmation from glenn or someone else, but after driving Big Red for several days with the Aircharger I can honestly say I notice a significant power difference. While there are improvements across the board, I feel the biggest difference punching the car up over 3,000 RPM....like in 2nd gear using autostick. Even my wife noticed, and that's saying something. Scotian, do you have similar feelings with franken-intake?
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    beach15-

LOL... From what you have described, I just think that she would be a riot at a car show. I would bet that if you videotaped her actions and comments as she looked at the various cars and spoke to the representatives there, you could win 1st prize on America's Funniest Home Video. ;-))

fastdriver
  • jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    My 300M is a 2001 with PHG & the Michelin MXM4's. Although they are M/S rated, they are NOT the equal of some other all-season radials on snow. My Father's similar LHS with the Goodyear LS's (with 36K trouble-free miles!) is MUCH better on the same snowy roads. Don't get me wrong, the MXM4's are a fine all-around tire and will easily out handle the Goodyear LS's on dry pavement, but cannot keep up with them on the snow. (BTW- The Chrysler video which came with my 300M cautions to expect less traction on wet/snow with the PHG tires- which I believe have always been Michelin Pilots).

Jon
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Sounds like you have one fine dealer there. The dealers in my area said no way.
    Put the emblem on the wood trim in front of the passanger seat. That is what I did. It looks great. I used the emblem like on the front fenders.
    It is not posted yet (chrome shifter). It could take awhile
    Demand a $200 refundable deposit on the Meet. They get there money back when they show up (great incentive). What is going to be the deal about the Non-members showing up? I could try to bring a deligation from AZ, if you can promse that it will be at least 60 there (We Arizones don't want to freeze), yes 60 is freezing for us.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Yes our top union guys did get to see the new cars , They were very impressed by what they saw.Some of the comments made were about the styling , and options that will be available. One thing, were did you find out about them viewing the cars??? You have inside contacts?
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    SDMike- No, it's never slow at the office; I'm just prioritizing my time and my M and this forum are PRIORITY. There is no doubt that the aircharger increases power especially at midrange RPM. I too have done some downshift passing and Francesca thinks she is flying!

300michael- Yea, I agree, it looks great on the trim. I'm using some double sided tape and playing with various locations. I'll make it permanent once I decide; decisions... decisions!

kosh_2258- You mean you've never driven with your hair on fire? The idea is to get to water before you're completely bald!LOL Of course, if you're already bald you can't play!;) JK
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    She's really not all that interesting at a car show. The past 2 times we've gone, she just walks around and looks at a few cars but doesn't pay much attention. She won't even sit in very many, let alone talk to anyone. If anyone did, it'd be me, as I almost got in a conversation with a Chrysler rep., as it had just been a month after the M started having "problems". I'm about the only one who takes interest in these kind of things.

So, anyone going to be at the Baltimore Auto Show this weekend? I think Av's the only one who lives near, but no one's heard from him in quite a while. Even the pics site he had up, no longer exists. Wonder where he went?
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    the fact that the air charger has no plenum: would that affect an oily buildup in the air hose just under where the small recirculating hose enters the main hose-could this residue eventually buildup where it would enter the throttle body and engine and cause trouble---

Scotian ,: what exactly is that small hole on one of your pics for--and exactly where is it located--did you drill that yourself---

Suggestion: I hear its a good idea to rotate the cone filter after several thousand miles to prevent clogging in favored areas

Also: can that throttle body screw be accessed with an ordinary screwdriver or is just special tool required.

wonder how much more efficient aircharger is as compared to a regular standard K&N filter that would fit in the airbox--

PATS rule!
    Actually, if you had a very short screwdriver you could likely get at it ok. I think you could also get it with a small ratchet. The problem is that it sits about an inch or so under the window cowling, about an inch from the edge too. Also, I think this will be significantly more efficient. The stock airboxes have chambers, change diameter, and have ribbed tubing in one of the boxes. It also only draws air through the 3 inch intake hole in the side of the engine bay. Under the new setup you get about 50% filter surface area, pull air through both the stock air hole AND venting in the wheel well, and have a smooth, unrestrictred pipe to the throttle body. Not sure about your residue question. I'll take it apart in about 1,000 miles and see if there's anything in there.
    You have a picture of the emblem on the dash in front of the passenger?

oh, typo in the above message...that's "50% more"
    Make a concave cut in the back of the emblem if you decide to use it on the wood trim, to make it fit better. I used shoe goo to attach it. The double sided tape leaves a small gap if you use it.
    its like driving a V12 300m with a 6 speed compared to the base engine---especially fast in downloading large files and graphics---they say once you fly on the superhighway, you cant go back to walking ;-} I think I'm spoiled already. I even got a wireless router and PCI card for the laptop so now I can be on wireless internet anywhere in the house or in the backyard.

Denvern: thanks for the tunes--like your custom label---although its not usually the type of music I listen to, it does have some nice drum beats and guitar flailing and I may well get to like it---havent listened to it in the M---I probably should wait till Friday as Lolita is going in for some new door speakers due to the vibration raspy problem---I'll let you all know how it turns out--That cd should give those new speakers a good workout! If the dealer keeps his track record, it probably wont be much better after the install.
    I have two pictures of it on my homestead site (the one listed on the 300Mclub.org site.
    Yes -- I definitely feel the power with Franken-Intake! Although my current setup (modified stock plenum) muffles a lot of the cool noise I heard with my tube-only setups:

http://public.fotki.com/Scotian/300m/air_intake/plumbing_plenum_tb_bend/

This is akin to Aircharger:

http://public.fotki.com/Scotian/300m/air_intake/plumbing_tb_bend/

I think the best setup gets rid of the stock TB bend, even if gutted, because of the downward bend and its stupid flat top (Aircharger uses the stock TB bend). Since the 3" i.d. elbow of the "Lister Intake" is too difficult to work with, you all might want to consider something like the modified 3.5" i.d. elbow:

http://public.fotki.com/Scotian/300m/air_intake/plumbing_3_5_elbow/

I switched to the modified plenum in case I had to bring my car in for work at the dealership -- makes things easier.

The small hole in the elbow in the modified (gutted) plenum is drilled, but the hard part is shaving most of the outside of the elbow off so it fits through the large front hole. The small hole allows the engine breather access to the filtered air, and to equalize the air pressure on either side of the elbow (the engine can create as much vacuum as it wants through the elbow, but the elbow won't collapse because the outer plenum is airtight). Oily residue that *will* build up in the Aircharger:

http://public.fotki.com/Scotian/300m/air_intake/plumbing_3_5_elbow/oil2.html

I have seen devices, homemade or for sale, on the Internet that interrupt the engine breather tube and will collect the oil, and can be periodically drained. The plenum serves this purpose, but the stock setup probably allows more oily air from the crankcase to enter the airstream. This may be worth investigating.

Any cone filter setup, especially those that get rid of the stock plenum's restrictions, kicks [non-permissible content removed] over merely replacing the square filter with K&N -- in so many ways!

• denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    The info Rick mentioned is now on the Club's classifieds page, http://300mclub.org/classifieds.htm [Pat, I have no financial interest in this, just passing along info.]
    I'm leaning towards saying "yes" to your question about non-members attending. The more the merrier, I figure! Heck, it's a free country still, right? I just want to make sure I'm not alone in that opinion before I commit for sure. I'll shoot off a few emails.

Mike
    you sports car fanatics: motortrend is featuring a comparison of : corvette, Lamroghini, Mesrati Spyder, Porche, and Acura NSX. The Corvette was the fastest with a 0-60 time of 4 seconds--and a 0-100 time of 9.6 seconds. And it did 12.5 second quarter mile---
    Otto: I found that information in a posting on the message board at Allpar.com

The poster sounded like someone from the plant.

sdmike: Nope, I've never heard that before but I can see how it would be quite motivating! LOL!
  • lee1nyclee1nyc Member Posts: 60
    Has anyone changed their headlights to these PIAA Xtreme Headlights? I own a '98 Intrepid ES and was going to start looking into this conversion. I figured I would solicit your opinions.

Thanks
    Lee
  • mboomgardenmboomgarden Member Posts: 39
    I've previously used PIAA bulbs in my other cars and love them. However, PIAA apparently produces the 9005 and 9006 bulbs, which have angled connectors, and not the 9005XS and 9006XS bulbs used in the 300M, which have straight connectors.

Has anyone here used the 9005/9006 bulbs? If so, what, if any, modifications were necessary?

TIA!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    A Krispy Kreme franchise is looking to set up shop in Milford, CT! LOL... Our first one!

fastdriver
    Everyone is welcome to attend the Carlsbad (San Diego) meet on March 16, not just 300M Enthusiast Club members! The club Board members agreed that the "more the merrier"! If there is club sponsored stuff like food or awards we'll either have to exclude the non-members or hit them up for a small donation. Either way it's workable. Just let me know how many. :)

All - If you are a non-member or a member that hasn't received in invitation from me yet, contact me at mritchi1@san.rr.com and I'll get one out to you! Since the meet is only 6 weeks away I need to start nailing down attendance figures and figuring out how many need hotels, etc.

Mike
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Any back up plan for rain? March is one of the wetter months ya know.
    Yeah, I had a set of the Superwhites that I used on my 98 Intrepid. BIG visibility improvement from them. Definitely worth the money.

The 9005 and 9006 will fit, but they are snug in the mounts. The 9005's went in with no problem but the 9006 required me to loosen the 3 screws that hold the retaining ring in place, then snug it back down again.
    Rain? What's that? Actually, I hadn't considered that. Maybe the dealer has room inside, or maybe we can drive to a local restaurant. I still haven't gotten up there to poke around yet. Maybe tomorrow.
    On what car did you install both the 9005 and 9006 bulbs? You have a Special, I believe, and would only use the hi-beams.
    Tower Base Covered Crankcase Vent Filter With Multi-Hose Vents:

http://www.tognottisautoworld.com/Products/K-Nfilter/vent.asp

Crank Case Breather / Catch Can:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclengine.htm

• blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Check out the Carl Strauss Brewery and hotel (can't remember the name)there across the road from Costco (off Palomar Airport Road East on Armada) right next to Legoland -- decent sized parking lot and maybe the hotel has decent overnight rates???
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Greetings folks from Noo Yawk where George W. Bush is visiting the 1st Police PRecinct's Command Center! A reminder to those here that are new members of 'this thing of ours' that tonight is our regularly scheduled chatroom night, 10:00pm EST/EDT -- whatever time thing that we're in now. Click on the Club chat Room link.

As usual, dress is informal, but clothes ARE required. Valet parking will be available at the entrance gate just past the tennis courts on your left as you drive up the tastefully manicured lush, green lawn, replete with topiaries in the shapes of 300m's.

Doc

• silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    I read a post where one of our members was selected for a dyno testing project to quantify the performance benefits (if any)of some popular mods. Can anybody bring me up to date on the status? Sounds like the AirCharger could bear some attention in this area. I'm a little confused about some of the posts the last couple of days. Does the stock intake system draw air only from the outside, through the fender well? Or is the air coming wholly ( or partly ) from the engine compartment?

PS The Texas Boxing Commission said today they would grant Mike Tyson a license for his next fight if he would apply. Sniff...I'm so proud.

Silver
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    I think we are making way too much of this air intake business. Unless you are wanting to keep track of quarter mile ET's measured in 1/100th seconds, it doesn't make a hill of beans difference how much cold outside air or warm engine air is being sucked in. Just the temp and humidity of the outside air has a larger bearing than what type of air intake you are using. (This is why NASCAR et al tune their engines based on track locations). Unless you are blueprinting a racing engine... well, you get the point. Bottom line is there is some appreciable difference in less restrictive air intakes for street cars. Anything beyond that is splitting hairs and is philosophical at best. All of the aftermarket air intakes offer less restrictive airflow and a little cooler air because of the position of the filter and the fact that the filter element tends to be more isolated from the engine. This translates to a little more power at a given RPM range and is noticeable in the M, but not dramatically so. Go with what makes ya happy!
    That might also be a good place for lunch or dinner. I'll check other places up on that hill for open space. I know there are some companies with big lots that will be empty on a Saturday..and the view of the ocean is great!
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I notice a performance improvement when the temperature outside is in the 50s to the 70s. Colder than that and the car seems to suffer from what you would typically consider cold weather performance, and warmer than that I guess the intake air isn't as dense. I, like Glenn, notice improvement in performance with the less restrictive Aircharger too, but it's all about small increments. I've spent about $750 on intake and exhaust mods for a hair better performance...nothing like you'd get with prowler pro gears, paxton supercharger, turbo, etc.. Having said that, I'm glad I spent the money.
  • rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    Has anybody got these on their 300M?
    Trying to decide whether to get some or not. These fit in the window channel (no tape). Tired of the flooding with window cracked. Thanks.
    Rick