Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• scotianscotian Posts: 1,064
    I got them. They're nice, shiny, and full of holes.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Posts: 2,909
    just what the scotian ordered :)
    that was the most expensive one I've seen. Most are around $50 - $70. I just posted it as an example to ask the question about whether aftermarket ones would work on the M. I guess I don't understand how the automatic button works. If I did I could probably answer my own question. :)
  • blondablonda Posts: 542
    Thanks bigmike. The other contact listed on the Club Board has them $75 incl shipping - but you have to mail him a $order. I just may go for it (not that I really NEED one)

I think what makes this shifter so special as opposed to an aftermarket ones is that they only made them a short period of time -- almost like a Limited Edition item.
    Ok...who wants to trade me a chrome shifter for a full leather one plus an OEM air filter (like new) and a set of OEM plugs? :)

Blonda - If you get a chrome shifter I'm going to come to your office and smear fingerprints all over the chrome :p
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,705
    Lucky you! Wish my father had thought of using foam rubber instead of...

Coming from a '95 Dodge Intrepid to a '99 300M, I don't think the M is very loud!!! But it ain't as quiet as the evil wife's Lexus.

SDMike and others: I may be late on this, but I'm hoping that the fires haven't caused you or yours any direct harm or loss...

Typical NE weather today: This morning, near 50 degrees...this afternoon, snow...tonight 30-50mph winds with temps in the teens (or lower)tomorrow. Gotta love it!

Almost 33,000 miles on my '99M, two window motors, one tranny speed sensor and a couple of light shows that were solved by playing with the rheostat. Dealer couldn't duplicate light show, of course. I'm really hoping I don't need to replace the BCM after warranty.
    Again, great car.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• blondablonda Posts: 542
    Mike - Ya know I think I'm gonna have to wear latex gloves when I drive to keep the prints off!

Laurasdada -
    I can't speak for anyone else, but SDMike, Glenn, and Mrl and myself are safe from the fires...we can't even see the smoke from where we are. It's really not that far away at all, but the wind is taking it directly out to sea.
  • jona57jona57 Posts: 190
    300 Michael-
    Did you take noise readins during your sound-proofing project? For example, did applying sound deadener to the trunk make more difference than doing the interior firewall/wheelwells/floor, etc?

I agree about noise being relative. I thought my 99 Gr Caravan ES was relatively quiet- until I got my 2001 300M. The 300 is much quieter on the road than my GC. My next door neighbor is an officer for a large Toyota dealer and brings home Avalons as his demo cars. Funny thing is- these are quieter on the road than the 300, but seem not to keep out external noise as well (e.g. someone talking outside the car while it's sitting in the driveway.). Overall the Avalon is quieter, but BORING!!!!!!! Now that 2dr Solara is better, but the interior lacks style IMHO.

Jon
    Criminies...

I just got Big Red back after my wife having her for 4 days while she took a class near downtown. I just gave her a bath (the car, not my wife) and I found an 8 inch long scratch that runs from the driver's side view mirrow towards the back at a 45 degree angle. There's also a good 1 inch scratch on the side mirror. Of course my lovely, darling (evil) wife didn't notice and has no idea how it could have gotten there. I'm saying a prayer that it's only through the clear coat. It looks white (and not white paint) so I think that's a good sign that it's just through the clear coat. If it doesn't come out I might have a "trade in" soon. The wife, not the car. ;)

If Big Red wasn't so much fun to drive I'd just build a big crate for her and nail it closed.

Mike
  • 300michael300michael Posts: 1,815
    Yes, I took readings before and after. I have purchased a R/S digital meeter for this purpous. The Before readings were 86db and after 78db. I chose this road because of was really noisy.
    A couple of factors can change the readings.
    Every streach of road is different, and thus you will get different readings.
    second is tire pressure. Running the GY's at 30 made it quieter then running them at 37 pounds. Getting rid of the G/Y's helped alot too.
    I did the trunk because of the rear wheel wells, and the suspension attach points. The main areas are the wheel wells the front floor board/firewall is next. The doors is another area that can use it. Things that increased noise was the intake and dual exhaust I added, but I like the sound of them.
    I have to get one of those stickers for my rear view monitor. LOL
  • glennbpglennbp Posts: 327
    I just installed these weather reflectors on the front windows and I'm happy to report they work brilliantly. They look very unobtrusive and go on without any adhesive in seconds. (They fit perfectly in the existing window channel.) Here's a surprise I wasn't expecting; they cut down on wind noise dramatically especially at higher speeds! That alone makes them worthwhile in my book. Chalk up another one for German craftsmanship!
    SDMike-Sorry to hear of Big Red's injury. If you don't have any luck getting that scratch out, I have something called GS27 that works wonders. It is actually a very fine polishing compound specifically for clear coat finishes. I have used it on a few minor marks with great results.
    sounds like a GS27 clinic for the Meet, LOL. One some it seemes to work very well, on others I doesn't for some reason. The games afoot Dr. Watson.
  • I haven't paid much attention to this board about the weatherflectors, but you just got my attention. What are they good for (other than noise) and what do they cost, and where do you get them?
    Their primary purpose is to allow you to keep the window open a little and not have water from rain, heavy dew, etc. drip into the car. For this purpose, they work beautifully. The wind noise reduction was a fringe benefit. You can get them from a number of automotive supply houses or, like me, I ordered them directly from MacNeil at http://www.macneil.com

They cost $53.95 for the pair including shipping.
  • where can I get that stuff---I need it for a long scratch caused by branches on the side of the road after a wind storm--long scratch on passenger side door --dont think it hit the primer--help!
  • Can you take a quick photo of these on your M? I'd like to see what they look like. I've been thinking about getting something like that.

Mike
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I've been reading your forum for a couple of weeks now and have enjoyed your conversations. You truly are an enthusiastic and pleasant group of people.

I work for the federal government and drive a take home company car for work. Well, last December, my assigned car (1995 Firebird Formula) died and I was given the go-ahead to choose a replacement from the GSA list.

After much agonizing and prioritizing, I finally chose a 2002 Chrysler Concorde Limited. I wanted a 300M as my first choice but, my bosses bosses boss drives one and I felt that it might cause me some grief! Most of the management don't really know cars too well so I figured I could get basically the same car in a package that they wouldn't recognize. I hope I'm right!

With the price cap I was given, I pretty much had to choose between the Chrysler cars (Concorde, Sebring, Intrepid) and the GM sedans (LeSabre, Regal, Bonneville). I could have also picked a Ford Escape or Mustang, but I quickly dismissed them. After driving the Firebird, I was ready for something big and comfortable, but not ponderous and boring.

The Chryslers have a lot going for them. Horsepower, leather, power everything, style, etc. so I went with the Concorde. I especially wanted remote door locks, traction control, and a good CD stereo, options not available on most of the other cars on the list.

I should take delivery in May or June. In the meantime, I'm driving a 1996 Intrepid 3.5L DOHC that was assigned to someone who recently retired. It was actually the performance and dynamics of this car that steered me towards the LH cars.

So far, I have found the Intrepid to be surprisingly quick and nimble for such a big car, but it is noisy (common complaint, yes?) and cheap inside (hard plastic and lots of rattles). Also, the steering rack/front suspension groans and cluncks in the morning when it's cold outside. I'm hoping there have been a few improvements over the years and I expect the 2002 to be significantly improved.

In checking out road tests and owner comments, it seems that the Concorde Limited has a lot in common with the 300M, although I guess it's truly not a member of the club. Also, since I won't actually own it, I won't be customizing and tweaking it like I normally would.

Here's a little about me. I'm 36 and married with two kids (5 and 2). I just bought a Buick Rendezvous last July for hauling the kids and in-laws around, and it is great. The best car I've ever owned! Having come from a sports car background, I really resisted family cars for a long time but finally conceded that we needed something big (seats seven), safe (side airbags, AWD, ABS, etc.) and comfortable (leather, moonroof, power everything, heated seats, driver seat/mirror memory, etc.).

BTW, I listen to a lot of the new age and classic rock music you've discussed. I'm also a big Alan Parsons Project fan and I'm partial to Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck too. For cruising, have any of you sampled "Yello", "Green Day", or "Black Box" to name a few?

Regards,

Brian
    It's the feds!! ;)

Welcome Brian. Nothing like a little "Jungle Bill" cranked up to push your car over the speed limit. :) I too like Yello and Green Day, especially "Basket Case". Now I'm dating myself too. I first had I Robot on 8 track. I can still hear in my head where the track had to change about 2/3 of the way though "Some Other Time". :)

It's a shame that you had to "save face" and elect the Intrepid over the M. You're really missing out. Too late to change your mind? ;) Either way, welcome!

Mike
    I've been negligent in mentioning one of the great "30 mph over the speed limit" bands...Faith No More. You guys that like to...uh...test drive music via MP3 files get ahold of "Midlife Crisis", "Woodpecker From Mars", "Zombie Eaters", and if you want an immediate speeding ticket "From Out of Nowhere".

Oh..also go get "Spybreak" from the Matrix soundtrack. It's the music playing when they blast their way into the building to rescue Morpheus. Glenn...you are forbidden from playing that in your car. lol
    Let me know what days you're playing hooky. I'd like to see you deflectors and try the scratch stuff. Big Red got Zaino'd today and is looking purty. So purty that I felt guilty and cleaned my wife's Grand Caravan (garbage can on wheels).
    ...and MRL & Blonda too.

This weekend is ok for me to hit the show. Saturday late afternoon/evening or Sunday work well. The show is open until 10pm both days I think. Won't be able to use the $2 off coupons (bad thing) but I get to spend some time away from my in-laws (good thing).
  • Thanks Glenn the video of the delectors was great, I would like to see pics of an M install. Also welcome lawman, it's probably not too late to change to an M. Just my opinion!!!!
    Gosh, I've had the GS27 for several years now and I have no idea where I got it. I would try the major auto parts stores like PepBoys and see if they have heard of it.
    I will try and get some pics of the weatherflectors tomorrow and get them posted for all to see.
    SDMike-Come on over anytime, I'm off this Thursday and Friday, and yes Sunday is probably the best day as traffic will be lighter (hopefully) and Monday is a holiday for me (Yea!)
    Well, I'm almost done! I replaced all the factory speakers with Fanatic "Q" components and bypassed the factory amp in lieu of a 600.4. I'm installing a pair of SAS amplified Bazookas in the trunk (one in each corner). The total wattage of the system peaks at about 1200. The system is now completely noise free thanks to a pair of Audiolink line converters and needless to say my neighbors can hear me coming about a block away! I don't know what it is about car stereo. My wife says it's a male gene of some sort. She can't stand any music above volume 2!!! I'll get some pics posted in the near future. I mounted the amp and crossovers on the back of the rear seat. I tied the 2 back seats together with a metal brace as some of the wires cross the divide and I don't want anyone inadvertantly trying to put down only one of the seatbacks and tearing out the wires. It all worked out fine and looks pretty cool! Now I just need to add a little neon and I'm all set!
    Fess up. Since you're not allowed to smoke in the house, making mods to your M is just an excuse to spend hours and hours outside! By this time next year the only thing stock on your M will a couple of pieces of sheet metal! :) Sunday's show hours are 10 to 10. If the weather is nice I'll probably ride in the morning, so maybe we can go after lunch someting?

Oh, for those that asked, the winds out here finally calmed down and I think they have the Fallbrook fire under control. Today was in the 70s and gorgeous. I felt bad for Glenn because he can't roll down his windows for another week or so because of the new tint.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately the order is already in and it's too late for me to change my mind, and even if I could, I wouldn't risk it.

I can just imagine someone with more seniority seeing my brand new 300M and deciding "a young wippersnapper like him doesn't need a fancy car like that, in fact, there's nothing wrong with the 1996 Intrepid he's already driving!"

No, I'll stick with the Concorde LTD and be happy I'm getting basically the same car and nobody will be the wiser.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...Lyle Lovett rocks! His music is awesome and his albums have very high production values. They really show off a good sound system.
    I was one of them, but this guy wants too much for them ($7 more then most other places) even more then the dealers. go figure.