Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    dkrhardy-

Can you describe the noise your old exhaust made? Was it louder when first started cold amd under load (e.g. accelerating from a stop)? How did your dealer diagnose that it was coming from the middle resonator/muffler? Did your tech guy tell you when/if they changed the exhaust system design of these performance LH's (i.e. R/T and 300M)? Maybe Otto could provide some insight here.
    I would encourage you to check out other 300M owners & club sites as there are many dual designs (mostly cat-back) described. Borla has an aftermarket cat-back. It's rather expensive, but guaranteed for a million miles (or so they say).

I do not have "duals" on my 01 300M, although I love the look. On the other hand, I may be the ONLY 300M owner who would not mind a quieter exhaust system.

Jon
  • uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    Re:The OPP on a donut and coffee break? 80-90 MPH or KPH? LOL
    Now I know I'm not supposed to do it, and I know I'm an idiot for driving that fast and I know that you were in law enforcement and you want my [non-permissible content removed]. I was driving at between 130 and a 160 kicks per hour and I am shamey faced. But the "M" just wants to go. I was actually passed several times at this speed. It was a nice drive.
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    Scott, it looks like an M...sort of.

Otto and wire, thanks for the part numbers on the HIDs but those didn't compute at several dealers I called. I was told the assembly line numbers you guys use are different? Eventually one dealer mentioned only one dealer in the country had these parts in stock (4805914aa and 4805915aa). It was a dealer in Michigan. So I called them and I talked with the guy and asked him to open it up and see what it was......an HID ballast. Not the entire lamp assembly I was hoping for.

Anyway after a long chat, they had recently fixed a car that was damaged on the lot or truck somehow for a customer before final acceptance. He said his manager has "connections" with the factory and got the entire assembly shown in Wire's pics. They said the part numbers are hard to come by since so new and they haven't been billed yet, so they didn't know the cost. We left the conversation with he was going to get his manager to find out the cost (he needs to be able to close his order) and get back to me as they could use their "connections" to get some more in about 2 days. He was most interested when I told him I was part of a club of enthusiasts and some of us were considering an upgrade if the price was reasonable. I said, you might have a couple of sales riding on this, and I would appreciate some assistance, since my local dealer blew me off.

We're gonna follow up our conversation early next week to see what progress has been made. I'll share what info I find out.
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    If you can get a GOOD deal on the HID light set up, I'm a definite player. Maybe, if enough of us go in on it, we can get a smoking deal!
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    I know how easy it is, in an M. I went up to Edmonton to visit my daughter who is a police officer and my son in the back seat informed me that I was going 160 KPH which is 100 MPH. and it felt normal, I did not see any RCMP and also I had my police uniform in the car as I was also attending a police memorial for fallen comrades. I think it would have been embarassing, with me doing a lot of boot licking on my knees. It sure is a fun car to drive!!!!!!!! but could be expensive.
  • dkrhardydkrhardy Member Posts: 134
    blonda - a few posts earlier I had said that I don't want to do a dual system, sorry I thought everyone had seen that. I have followed the saga of the dueling duals for some time. Flowmaster vs Magnaflow vs Rino, etc. My problem is I don't care for the duals and I also don't want to hack (believe me, I'm mech challenged) into the facia.
    jona57 - the noise atarted as a small noise and got worse over time, maybe 2 months. It was present cold, warm, or hot. It was loudest at 1,500 to 1,800 RPM. I 1st found the source while I had the car on the lift during an oil change. I'm lucky to have a lift available for my use. Anyway, engine running, someone pushing the gas pedal, and me walking under the car to find it. It was in that middle muffler/resonator. I think the 300M system is different from the R/T, or at least it was. Now? Who knows. The Borla has some very stiff shipping charges to Guam, they use Int'l shipping rates by AIR! Only choice they say. So that is why I'm asking if anyone has come up with a good single system that my local guys might be able to weld for me. As for the when did they change it, don't have an answer, but I think quite recently. Help??!!
  • guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    i had the dynomax with the stock collector at first, it was tooo loud inside, save yourself a trip back and have them install the magnaflow while you're there. trust me i was the first to use the dynomax.

http://communities.msn.com/Racefan9s2000Chrysler300m/homepage.msnw

• guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    satellite radio anyone???

real aluminum dash kit to go over all wood???
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    Yes I would like an aluminum dash kit, and also aluminum door sill protectors!
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    What you really need to do is remove the three existing mufflers and replace them with two high-flow models. It doesn't really matter whether you do "duals" or not. There are two diagrams at the following link that show replacement exhaust systems. The one called "exhaust_diagram" shows the set-up that many of us use for the duals. The other, called "exhaust_simple", shows a very inexpensive solution that keeps the stock collector. What I would suggest that you consider is following the "simple" diagram, but instead of leaving the stock collector replace it with the Magnaflow that many of us have been happy with. In the back you could use something like the Dynomax 17786 which has a 2 1/2 inch input on one side and two 2 1/4 outlets on the other side. You'd then run mandrel bent (no kinks) pipes out to the existing cut-off and finish it off with whatever tips you like.
    http://www.ritchiefamily.com/car/exhaust/

That help?

Here is the link to a Dynomax specification sheet showing the different "super turbo" mufflers.

http://www.dynomax.com/documents/super_turbo_specs.pdf

no and no. I won't put one of those ugly XM antennas on my car. Maybe when they make them color matched and tiny I might consider it. I also talked to the local audio shop and we have no idea where to install it. I guess if I start spending more time on the road these issues will become less important. The sound quality on the demo system was excellent.

Mike
    we have GEN 3 seatbelts!!!!!!
    uh..I'm not sure what that means. Care to elaborate?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Per the new issue of C & D. Basically, the article said that back in '98/99, this was one of THE cars to own. Unfortunately, time has moved forward while our beloved M really has not...
    Doesn't bother me. I still think it is one heck of a value. And as always, a looker.
    Besides the rear interior door panels a bit loose, nothing much to report. Gas mileage has improved to 22mpg-ish for my daily commute (predominately, at least) driving.
    2500 miles of warranty left...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• mac12563mac12563 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 300M 2002 a week ago(2/28/02) and the car seems to idle rough with the engine hot or cold. It is not as bad when the AC unit is on. I had the dealer look into this and he said that they checked the car and found no problem, but did admit the rough idle was present and this is characteristic of that motor. I find that hard to believe. Can you shed more light on this? If that is true, why is that so? Other than that I love the car!

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Best wishes
  • no1trustno1trust Member Posts: 151
    I went to check out the Cadillac CTS on Monday; I like the looks of the car (in brief, the 300M is still 1st pick IMHO). They also sported Goodyears. If people are complaining about noisy Goodyears, why can't the customer replace them w/a different brand as part of the car purchase? Has that been tried?
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    yes, unfortunately the rough idle is a characteristic of the engine--many here have mention it--

However I did figure out something that helps. If you are idling at a light and you see the tach idling at around 5-600, give the gas just a slight tap as you keep your foot on the brake and you will find that it settles down to about 700 rpm and engine smooths out---

You could also put it in neutral or park if you will be idling for a long time--that also smooths out the idle.

be sure to join the Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club--lots of benefits and club meets--(as well as some neat caps and shirts and soon some nice logo mats!

Enjoy your new M!
  • mykemmykem Member Posts: 203
    this happened to me once, the only thing that i did was fill up at the gas station between the car being fine and the rough idle.

it was either 'bad gas' or water, since a bottle of a gas additive helped a little, but what helped more was running it to fumes and filling up on 89 the next time (87 since).

my rough idle hasn't happened since.

don't know the particulars, but I hope in over a week you at least went to a gas station and refilled...

-m
  • sel714sel714 Member Posts: 35
    Could you tell me which issue I just received my April issue and must have over looked it what page is it on. I am disappointed as my 99 with K&N and Borla exhaust has 0 to 60 times of 7.5 am running Michelin Pilots. I was hoping for the low 7s as I would like to have a Special sometime this year. We have just over 70000 on our M. We have had our share of problems but the wife and I really love to drive this car.
    sel714
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    I'm assuming that the test is in the April issue of C&D. When you consider the lead time on a magazine (about 2 months) that means the test had to have been run in mid to late December.

I remember Otto saying the cars for shows and testings were built the first two weeks in November and they didn't start shipping until mid December.

I think it would be fair to say the Special tested was probably pretty low mileage and not fully broken in. I know that mine was tight for the first 1000 miles or so and is still loosening up at 2500mi. So that would have an effect on the performace numbers.

Also, so far, no rough idling noted in mine - very smooth actually. It has had a steady diet of 89 since new, and 99% of the miles have been freeway speed.
    smooth here. '01 loaded
  • wyort1wyort1 Member Posts: 2
    If the "Special" was new, then it was tight. My R/T was tight until at least 5,000 miles. Seems that I read many posts from R/T sites that indicated performance increased at around that (5000) mileage. I assume that it is the same for the 300M as well because the R/T and the 300M basically share the same drivetrain, etc.

I was surprised when reading the performance numbers on this site, because I expected the "Special" to perform better than C&D reported.

Saw one in L.A. on a transporter in January when attending the Rose Bowl. Have to say, it is a great looking car. I looked seriously at the 300 before purchasing the R/T, but the price and dealer incentives sold me on the R/T.
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Some of you (?) might have gotten an email from Rogor regsrding an article he received from one of our Dutch members. Since I am Dutch by heritage--but don't speak the language, I sent it to my Uncle in California. He translated the important part (the articla also seemed to cover the Jeep Cherokee..). Here's the translation:
    =====================================================================
    "Enthusiastic owners of the Chrysler 300M in America have united themselves in an official club, "The Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club". The members exchange experiences of owning and driving the 300M and provide tips on maintenance, modification and upkeep of the car.
    The club also gave birth to a web site under the address www.300mclub.org
    For anyone who has a Chrysler and has warm or soft spot in his hart for a 300M in particular it would certainly be well worth the time and trouble to visit this site.
    Since its inception, there have been several hundred members that joined the club, and it was joyfully reported that one of those was from the Netherlands".
    =====================================================================

I especially like the last two lines about 'being joyfuly reported" which really was true. Our club is a truly international one, and I'm quite proud to be associated with such a great bunch of people. The article had a screen capture of the club's homepage--way cool!

U R G E N T

A recent article on local Channel 7 described a problem with Generation3 seatbelts. A friend of mine here at the Bank saw the article and mentioned this to me as I walked in the door this morning. He seemed to think that the problem is with 2002 model year, but was not sure. Does anyone have any other information about this?

Regards to all,
    Doc
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    ..okay, back to the tips question. someone here mentioned that the existing 'brushed aluminum/stainless steel' tips that are stock are welded on (to something?..). how does a mechanically challenged individual like myself remove this/these?
    I'm leaning towards blonda's Ractive (?) shiny oval one, but also like 300Michael's Yellow Borla tips--which BTW do they come in other colors? Also saw another type on someone's M here that had a little vertical piece in the center of EACH of the two 'pipes--does this sound familiar to any of youse?
    Granted, this is NOT a big deal given what some of you have done, but for me, its a mod.

Doc
    smooth here also!!!!!
  • mboomgarden1mboomgarden1 Member Posts: 49
    The Car & Driver article is on page 105 of April issue.

Regarding the engine being "tight," that might be a minor factor, but not enough to convince me that the Special is anything but roughly the performance equal of the standard 300M. Modern automobiles are built to such exacting tolerances that break-in mileage isn't, in most cases, factor in performance measurements. If you look at most long-term tests, there is generally less than a .1 second variance in 0-60 times between a new car and that same car 30,000 -40,000 miles later. Variations of that magnitude are equally attributable to tire wear, track conditions, and/or air temperature.

The more likely explanation is staring us in the face: the Special has only two more horsepower than the '99, it weighs 80 lbs. more, and the engine is working to overcome the inertia of a larger wheel/tire combination.

I love my '01 PHG, and I'd love to have a Special, if for no other reason than the HIDs, the nice wheels, and the styling updates. But, Chrysler apparently decided not to upgrade its straight line performance this time around.
  • dkrhardydkrhardy Member Posts: 134
    you bet that helps, I am thinking that may be the way I wanna go. Thanks again.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Rough idle normal?? What a bunch of hooey. I have had my M for 3 1/2 years and never had any roughness or stumbling of the engine at any time. I have been running on regular and haven't had a tune-up for 40K miles and she runs smooth as silk. Depending on where you are, cold north area?, it could be the blend of gasoline that is being used in your area. Sometimes they put weird stuff in the gas in areas like Buffalo and Cleveland for the winter months. If the problem persists I would get insistent with the dealer. Suggest trying another M in a test drive and then see what you think.
    Mike-- that post of the photo of the M with the rear roof wing was at post 14,249. Don't know how that would translate if you wanted to call it up. It was posted on a CEC wheel company site so the Lorinser wheels are all one can get info on at that site. The Lorinser site is all in German and doesn't list the M just various Mercedes class cars. Probably too expensive anyway.
  • ski1001ski1001 Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2000 300M and had a rought idle complaint. The dealer said that there was a TSB and he adjusted. I have had no problem since then (about a year ago). I use mid range gas always.
    I'm assuming that you don't want to replace your exhaust system, just the tips, right? What you'll have to do is get the existing ones cut off either with a torch or a hack saw, and new ones welded on for you. Don't clamp them. Unless you have a welder in your garage you're going to require assistance from Midas or someone similar. :)

Now, I don't remember if the stock system has one or two pipes running from the last muffler to the cut-out. If it's two you won't be able to use the tip that nc300m used. You'll have to find two smaller tips...one for each pipe...to fit in the cut-out. Also, the tips that michael uses are Monza Pacesetter tips, not Borla, and they only come in yellow. However, if you search around you can find similar in other colors (I've seen red and blue) by other manufacturers.

Mike
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    I happened to be watching Primetime last night on ABC when they did a report on Chrysler Gen 3 seat belts. The problem they detailed is that the release button on the buckles just protrudes too high above the body of the buckle. This allows flying hands, elbows, etc. to accidentally release the belt during an accident. Not good! I looked at my 2000 M this morning and it has the Gen 3 for sure.The only possible saving grace in the M is that, for the front seat occupants, the location of the buckle between the seat and the console would make it difficult to hit accidentally. Not true for the rear seats however. I'm very concerned about my grandkids riding in the back seat now.
    Chrysler is denying that this is a problem at all, but an independent testing lab that ABC employed found that the Gen 3 belt failed the standard auto industry test 100% of the times they tried it. Chrysler has stopped using this belt on some of their vehicles, but still use it on others and still deny any problem. According to the ABC News website, these belts ARE still used on all 300Ms, even the 2002!
    I intend to look into what replacement belts might work for the back seat belts in my car. I'm not willing to wait to see if Chrysler does anything about this problem, not with my grandkids lives possibly at at stake! If I find any replacement belts that will work, I'll post the info.

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
    If you find a better picture I'd like to see it. I went to that site posted and saw the small picture, but going to the Lorinser site doesn't show a single thing about 300M accessories...only MB.
    I especially like the part where DC claims the seatbelts don't have a problem, but they quit putting them in the SUVs because of....PROBLEMS!
    I was just reading over the ABC report and found a link to a website with a lot more info on this.

check out: http://www.unsafebelts.com/

Lynn Flowers

McKinney, Texas

• wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    >...larger wheels and tire generally
    >require more power to get them rolling.

For a given car model, the tread diameter is virtually the same for all wheel sizes. Maximum tread diameter is determined by the clearance of the spring perch plate of the front struts. The larger wheels just mean less tire sidewall, (lower aspect ratio).
    In effect, some tire sidewall (rubber and steel wire) is replaced with aluminum spokes and spaces between them for an overall weight savings and therefore less unsprung weight.
    Here's one of many tire calculation programs available;
    www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
    If my wife sees that article on the Gen 3 belts and the jury verdict, she'll be telling me fasten the belt and then go drive as hard and fast as I can. Seriously, on my 99M my complaint with the belts, a topic which I wrote to DC about but got no response, was that they are a son of a gun to get to unlatch. I have to really push down hard on the release and try to take all tension off the belt to get it to release. The release does not rise above the edge of the latch on my M. I recommended by the way that DC go to the GM/airline style belt latch with the button in the middle of the latch. Never heard back from them guys in Product Improvement.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    I think the problem is when someone mentions wheels they think of the whole thing (tires and wheels). Wheels are just the rims, (metal part) diameter. The tires generally get smaller (sidewalls) as the wheels get larger. True it is harder to turn, as the diameter gets larger, but also the weight (larger rims) are also a factor.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Sdmike said it, mine are Monza not Borla (I wish). Checker Auto discontinued them a year ago.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    I've had my '99 M for almost 3 years and have not noticed any rough idle or engine hesitation. I've been using 87 octane about 90% of the time.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Sometimes I can hardly get mine to release. I'm sure I'm safe! Besides, it's tucked away next to the center console -- what could possibly hit it?
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Mike -
    I spoke with the other ding repair guy (The Detail Man) today. He's really nice and has been doing it for years. He was actually trained by the guy who runs "The Dent Doctor". He's doing to do my car and work on Tues. a.m. and has another customer in North County he's doing same day so is giving me a little better rate (he charges $30 more initially for customers outside of east county). If you're interested, he'd probably cut you a deal if you had him do your dings on the same day. Prices average $80 for first ding (but he cut my to about $70) then $25 for each consecutive ding. He is also going to buff out some paint marks on my bumper and maybe touch up a couple dings for me.

He just changed the name of his company to The Dent Devil:

www.thedentdevils.com

His old site has more detail:

www.thedetailman.com

If you decide to use him next week, tell him I referred you.
  • grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    I'd be willing to bet my 18x8 rims (with tires mounted) are lighter than the stock 17x7 (with tires). They are about 1.5% different in outside diameter.

What do those ground effects pieces weigh on the Special? 50 Pounds? That's going to make very little difference on a 3500lb car. There's something else going on. Perhaps C&D wasn't using premium gas?

This seat belt story... was this brought to us by the same folks who claimed Chevy C-10 pickups with saddle tanks exploded in side impacts? That was the one where the "journalists" rigged explosives on the truck to get the results they wanted. [Call me a cynic.]

Anybody here recall the arguments against air bags? Some believe they are more dangerous than they are good. It could be argued that improper deployment of airbags will cause more harm than inappropriate release of seat belts.

One of the reasons (or rationalizations, if you prefer) for buying the 300M is the performance allows me to better avoid accidents. And since it's a big car, it doesn't suffer the same mismatches as a sports car.

Igor
  • forresthforresth Member Posts: 34
    This is slightly off/on topic. I just noticed that the F1 robot in the Microsoft Office assisants collection is related to our beloved vehicle. The description has him listed as being the first in the 300/M series. I quote

"F1 is the first of the 300/M series, built to serve. This robot is fully optomized for Office use."

I guess one of the programmers drives one. strange Huh?
    I'm one of the airbag detractors. I've had switches installed on mine and keep them in the OFF position all the time. But I'm quite concerned about the seat belt issue. I saw the Primetime story last night and have looked more closely at the buckles in my car. I'm convinced that these buckles could quite easily be accidentally opened. Perhaps not the front seat buckles in an M, because the tight space between the seat and the console makes it difficult for anything to hit the release button accidentally. However, the same is definitely not true in the back seats!
    I will find some other belts to replace the Gen 3 belts in the back seat of my 300m and I would advise anyone with an M to seriously consider whether their back seat should be used as long as these seat belts are there.
    Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    I got my magazine in the mail and was, like most of you, disappointed in the performance as tested.
    I have to be a little smug though if you conclude that the M with PHG is awfully difficult to improve. The exception being my BassLink--a lot of bang for the bucks. (Or is that bumpin' for the bucks?.) :>)
    I'm heading for Galveston in a couple of hours with the manchild in the M (Roadtrip!!) My wife, daughter and her friend are braving the highway in the high mileage Grand Voyager, as they have to be back earlier for work and SAT's. Got my ZZ Top tape ready and my fishing gear packed!

Silver
    What time is he doing your car on Tuesday? At your office, right? Maybe I can come visit in the AM and bring a book and some coffee. Just guarantee me access to the little boy's room in your building and we might have a plan. lol
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    He's supposed to come to my work around 8:30-9:00, but then is supposed to go to this other woman's house a little farther north I think directly after. You should give him a call, he'd probably just go directly to your house with no extra cost maybe on his way back (he's out of east county). But if you wanted to do it at my work I could have you properly searched, scanned and background checked for security access into the building so you could use the restroom! (lol)