Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    >...with my home security system and the range is lousy.

If it's a useful comparison, my '01 will operate the rolling code garage door opener from 200 feet away, I never have to wait for it in the driveway.
  • muskateer3muskateer3 Member Posts: 103
    sdmike - thanks I'll keep a eye on it.

Mikeyjohn - TSB number 08-19-00 please see http://www.alldata.com/TSB/12/001239EO.html It involves replacing the antenna. It supposedly improves the range. Right now, I have to practically be IN my garage in order to open my garage. The service writer knew what I was talking about immediately.

denverm - I'll let you know if I have better luck.
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    thanks muskateer, I appreciate the TSB. I have had a problem since I had the car.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Totally off topic post, but those of you that have CD burners might want to check out your local Office Depot. I just got a spindle of 100 32x CDRs on sale for $33.95....AND there's a $30 mail in rebate. 100 disks for $3.95 isn't too shabby. :)
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    toms99-

Sorry for the confusion, although I think you know what I mean since you've been around a long time too. I meant- slowing down for a red light that changes to GREEN before you come to a complete stop. Accelerating with Christine confused her and resulted in sloppy shifting. I'm sure Christine is/was not the only one with this "characteristic".

mikeyjohn-

Homelink range problem new?? No, been around since 1999. I didn't click on the TSB that was given to you above from Alldata, but if that's not the one, let me know. I have it in my file from the NHTSA site. When they replaced my antenna, I could open Christine from "across town"! ;-))

All-

This might be of some interest to the do-it-yourselfers here- http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/questions/KNOCKIN.html

Also, I guess that phone call that I received on 4/25/02 from my original Chrysler dealer, Madison Chrysler-Plymouth of Madison, CT, wasn't clear enough for them when I finally vented after years of silence in dealing with THEM. Today, they followed up with a letter from the business manager as if they never made a call or knew of my disatisfaction or the fact that Christine has been gone for over a year now.

Anyway, it might be of interest to those of you who plan on keeping their cars. It states, in part, "I have sent you this letter to inform you that Madison Chrysler has just been given the ability to offer you a Daimler Chrysler NEW CAR service contract that can cover your 1998 300M for up to 7 years or 100,000 miles. This means Daimler Chrysler will cover your vehicle for mechanical problems and labor for up to 7 years or 100,000 miles. This covers your vehicle much like your 3 year 36,000 mile warranty, which came with your vehicle. As long as your vehicle has less than 48,000 miles and you contact me before 06/16/02 you qualify. There is also a 12 month 0% interest payment plan available".

This info might be available from your "award winning 5-STAR" dealer too? Wouldn't hurt to ask. If one Chrysler dealer can offer it, I don't see why others can't. Hope this saves someone some money and some grief for those nearing 3 years/36,000 miles.

fastdriver
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I was not fond of my 300M tranny getting confused sometimes as you described when slowing down and then accelerating.

However that's much better than having a car whose tranny fails during a highway merge and needs a complete replacement.
    That's much better than not knowing whether the replacement tranny is going to fail too.
    ruski-

I hear you! Now you know how I felt about Christine. Never knew what was going to happen next.

fastdriver
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Not limitd to Ms!
    I drove the new BMW 7 series recently. Was cruising along ad 40mph and floored the throttle. The car delivered a long hesitation while the trans tried to figure what gear to shift into.
    The dealer's explanation: "the car has an adaptive transmission that needs a while to learn how you drive."
    I always thought that flooring it meant GO, no matter how you drive.
    That and the insidious "I-Drive"...thanks, but no thanks!
  • bmadden1bmadden1 Member Posts: 31
    Does anyone have any printed information on how the tranny learns to shift, dependant on ones driving habits? The only info I can find in the Service and Powertrain manuals, is that the TCM monitors and "learns" the amount of fluid required to engage the clutch packs so it can compensate for clutch wear, by supplying more fluid to ensure complete clutch engagement, as the disks wear. Any info on tranny and driver relations would be appreciated.
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    I'm back from Philly. It's gonna take a while to get caught up! In the meantime, for those of you that use "Hotbar" with Internet Explorer, I designed a couple of skins for us. Go here and check them out!

http://hotbar.com/galleries/galleriesOnLine.asp?catid=107198
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    did they quote you a price on that extended warranty---I have like 2K left till the magic 36k--they may be giving you a special deal seeing the probs you've had--of course they can offer you a great deal as you have no car to buy the warranty for ---- it may be a gimmick trying to get you to have faith in Chrysler again and buy a new M---do you think they offer same deal to other M owners--that 48K limit is suspicious

so would you consider the Hemi M when it comes out in 04
  • jbakosjbakos Member Posts: 2
    Try Chryslerwarranty.com
    I bought a 7yr 100k for my 01LHS for about 60% of what Chrysler Corp. was quoting. This site is a 5* in Iowa who discounts the factory warranty.
    paperwork comes direct from Chrysler they sell all three levels of warranty so be sure to know which one you are buying from them or a dealer.
    price on that site seems a little steep---around $2000 for a best plan-100,000 mile 7 yr warranty with a $50 deductible if your car is between 25 mo and 36 mo old. Other less coverage plans are available . Seeing you could hold out till 48 mo before signing up for a slight additional cost, maybe I'll just wait and then sign up if a foresee a potential major tranny or engine problem.
  • jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    Yep two grand is alot, I think mine was $1850.00, but if you wait till 48 months it will be more than two grand and if you take it in for a problem then try to buy the warranty will they sell you one?? Also your current plan ends @ 36k do you want to drive a mopar for 12k and hope you don't need any major work?
    I have owned mopars for over thirty years and loved all of them BUT lets face facts, the are not the most dependable. If you really plan to keep it for full time of warranty you will most likely save money getting the warranty. A good friend of mine is a 5* service writer who swears by them and he sees more than all of us do as to what is being fixed. "Ask yourself do you feel lucky?"
    if you paid $1800 and that was suppposed to be 60% of regular Chrylser prices, that would put the cost of normal price at about $3000, a really exhorbitant amount--if the tranny and engine hold up ok for the term of the plan you choose, between the cost of the plan and the loss of use of capital and the deductible it is very expensive insurance. Of course you could just go with a basic powertrain plan for I believe around $1300 or so.
  • jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    Yes, Chrysler warranty price was $3250.00 direct from them online free financing for a year WOW. If I had to pay that price I would have gambled and not bought the warranty. But $500.00/yr I feel is not as bad and past experience with Chrysler tells me I should come out ahead this way. One compressor and or computer on this electronic marvel should put me ahead of the game,let alone any motor or trans work, not to mention peace of mind for the years 4 thru seven. I usually keep my cars till they are out or warranty then buy new again.
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    Fastdriver, that letter is just a sales pitch for buying the warranty. Be interesting to see what their rates are.

As for rates in general - chryslerwarranty.com seems to have the best rates. They also don't care about mileage - just years old...
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    Here's a web site with lots of tranny info, including a procedure to retrain a tranny. I have not attempted to use this procedure (haven't ever had any problems with mine), so I can't vouch for it.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Just stopped in to see who was posting today. A few posts back, I saw something about 300m door sills, and about a posting relating to them. so far, I can't seem to find the re-posted link. Anyone know what the link was/is?

Today is Wednesday, Chatroom Night at 10:00pm EST/EDT. Hope to see some of youse there.

Slightly off post, will most likely be going out to Phoenix, AZ end of July to a place called "Pointe Resorts Condominiums", south Mountain Resorts. I bought into a pre-paid vacation plan, and this place is one of the places in their inventory. Does anyone know anything about this place? In a complete departure from my wife's normal "take a vacation and run yourself ragged seeing everything" type of vacation, this place has spa's, etc....Apparently near the Grand Canyon? 300Michael---where are you when I need you?

Doc

sounds like a nice place for you and the wifey to recuperate from your medical ails...relax in the steam room and then jump into the hot tub while sipping on some nice red wine...kind of reminds me of our early chatroom sesssions...

I myself prefer vacations in the Caribbean...no siteseeing...just R&R..
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    Well - it is probably a nice place. I hope you like the heat though :D My father lives outside Phoenix - it gets hot in the summer. That's somewhat close to monsoon season. However, rain there is at most a little during the day. Not very bad.

The Grand Canyon is about 2-3 hours away to the south rim. You can also stop and visit a couple of cute little towns on the way. Sedonna is right off the highway, but getting a little too 'commercialized' so to speak. Jerome is about 15-30 min from the highway and a lot more like Sedonna used to be; very quaint.

Have a good trip!
  • turtle8081turtle8081 Member Posts: 7
    There was a post which linked to an ebay listing for 300M special door sill plates. The listing is closed and has not been renewed so I can't link to it from this post.

The 300m special has stainless steel or aluminum door sill plates with the 300m special badge.

I talked to my 5* dealer who does not have the part in stock nor could the guy at the parts counter get me a number.
    For any of you who have / are about to purchase your M after the lease, I am wondering how flexible DC was / is offering to be in the purchase price. Are they sticking to residual, or offering you wholesale value - avoided handling costs for the return? Special financing... etc?

Thanks,
  • grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    The Pointe is about 10 minutes from Sky Harbor airport. I drive by it every day. Nice little "resort". It's pretty much smack-dab in the middle of Phoenix. It's about a 4 hour drive to the south rim of the canyon, if you want to call that close (in fact, it's closer to Mexico than to the canyon).

As already said, end of July is monsoon season. But "monsoon" describes the wind more than the precipitation. Temps will be in the low hundreds with relatively high humidity for the area. As comparison, in June we typically see 110-115 degrees with 5-15% humidity for a heat index of 105-110. July feels hotter because of the humidity.

Stay close to the pool. Find a shady spot. If you must go into the sun, wear a big hat. SPF 5000 is the recommended sun screen. Don't wear rubber soled shoes, as they'll melt on the asphalt. If you feel you must, you can try to fry an egg on the sidewalk, but it makes a nasty mess. It's easier and cleaner to set the frying pan on the sidewalk and fry your egg that way rather than directly on the concrete; you'll just have to leave the pan in the sun for a while before you try to fry the egg.

Right across Baseline from the Pointe is one of the local Fry's electronics stores. Try not to have too much fun in there. The wife might be more interested in shopping at Arizona Mills, which is across I-10. (Sure, a mall is a mall, but it's close and has an Imax theater). You'll have to go to 300michael's neighborhood for "real" shopping.

Igor
  • 006540006540 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, my speedo quit and engine lite came on at same time, car still running good. ever happen to anyone else? whats wrong?
    If your check engine light came on, there should be a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) stored in the computer. The dealer can use a scan tool (DRB) to check for the cause. Since your speedo quit at the same time, my guess would be one of the two the speed sensors on the transmission has gone bad or the wire leading to it came loose.

Good luck
    easyrider300m-

Nope. No price quote for this 7/100,000 warranty on my "1998" 300M! ;-)) Mmm.....maybe that was the problem. Christine was a "1998" model and not a 99! ;-))

I'd give you their web address, but it's not working! ;-)) Guess you could try their phones- 203-245-0451 or their FAX 203-245-7694.

fastdriver
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    I had a 98 Intrepid on lease through Chrysler Financial and when I turned it in they would not budge from the buyout price (residual). I expect the same when my 300M lease is up.

If your lease is through another party (e.g. - B of A), you may find them very eager to deal -- financial institutions don't want cars. Chrysler already has a place for the car (the dealer), and besides, they hope to get you into another new car!
  • toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    I agree with Intrepid. DC wouldn't budge from the residual on my LHS. It's basically a contract you sign at the start of the lease. The residual price was fair, though, and I bought it anyway. (I tried negotiating...You may want to try too...nothing to lose! Even tho it's a contract, let's face it...*everything* is negotiable!) Intepid makes a good point, however...DC really has no incentive to lower the residual,
    Thanks for the input.

I was just wondering. I thought they might be getting a little softer since they lowered the residual on their new car leases.
  • jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    I too purchased an extended DC warranty from chryslerwarranty.com. It's a 5* dealer in DesMoines. Although I visited the website for quotes, I had some questions & used their 800-number for the purchase. Very easy process, very nice staff, & I saved about 25% off my local (IN) dealer's best price (plan was for a 35 mo old DC minivan). On average, the price goes up by $100-125/yr vs buying the plan when your car is new.
    Keep in mind that the extended warranties are NOT simply an extension of the new car warranty as many salesmen claim in their pitch (e.g. they do not cover body & trim, wear items, etc.). I think the decision to buy one of these plans has to be individualized based upon your comfort level (e.g. ability to "self-insure" against unexpected repairs), reliability record for your car, expensive options, etc. I feel it's best to buy only a carmaker's warranty (not 3rd party), and for DC I went with the Maximum Care (DC's best coverage) as the price differential was not great vs their lesser "Added Care" plan. Remember that these plans are very profitable for both the automaker & the dealer to sell because ON AVERAGE they charge more $$$ than the AVERAGE vehicle will require in covered repairs.

Jon
    jona57-

LOL... Glad you said "on average"! If I had kept Christine and got this warranty, I know they would have lost more money than the $3,300 they spent on her in the first 33 months I had her.

fastdriver
  • jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    My understanding from family & friends is that DC has traditionally been very rigid in the end-of-lease purchase price of vehicles. It sure can't hurt to ask, though. My last lease happened to be a FoMoCo Red Carpet lease, & the local dealer actually initiated a discussion about lowering the purchase price of the vehicle. I was not interested in that specific vehicle, so I did not pursue the matter. I don't know if they were serious or just using the tactic as a sales ploy.

Jon
  • wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    >door sill plates with the 300m special badge.

I'm off 'til Monday but maybe Otto' can take a look. (between wheels-on and water test inspection, plastic bins should have a vendor label)
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    You sure can pick the worst time of the year to come to the Phoenix area.
    As most have said it is near the hottest time (June, July, and August)of the year. Just make sure they turn off the the sauna and spas so you will not look like lobsters, or cook like them, LOL. Fry's Electronics is a great place (not the market) to hang out. They have a nicer one near me in the north section. The wifie will like shopping in Scottsdale (Scottsdale Road and Camelback Road, and the eastern side of Camelback Road has the exclusive shopping. Oak Creek Canyon is a great drive on the way to Flagstaff.
    Maybe we can have a local get together for a short time, LOL, come to think of it, I do not think is is possible for M'ers to have a short get together, while you are out here.
    Just bring your NASA air conditioned suits.
    at da club--Be There!
  • achanceachance Member Posts: 106
    If I have the hole in the roof open, and the heater/AC goes to the dash/floor vent mode, the blower starts making noise. It sounds as if the fan is hitting the surround or is cavitating, or some combination thereof. It only occurs in the condition described; the sunroof MUST be open. I took it to the dealer and got the "could not replicate" routine. So, I've observed it closely now that the weather is warm enough to cause the system to go to vent or A/C from time to time. Any similar experiences? Any suggestions?
  • no1trustno1trust Member Posts: 151
    Are Sedona & Tucson about the same amount of travel time from Phoenix? (I know Sedona is north & Tucson is the opposite direction). The boss & I stayed in Phoenix this past weekend (w/a rental 300M... what else?); it's the first time I've been to Phoenix in 19 years, and my wife had never been there. Want to visit one more time before the serious Berthold rays of Phoenix summer sun get there. Know what kind of wait there is now to get back on foot across the Nogales border?
  • no1trustno1trust Member Posts: 151
    between Wickenburg/Wikieup, even the construction zones. Wife is excited about the new shopping available in Phoenix. I just love the drive.
  • bobspcbobspc Member Posts: 20
    Picked up Special week ago, paid $1395 for 5/75000 max care plus first day rental car. Took print out from Chryslerwarranty.com to dealer and they matched the price. Cannot complain, dealer also matched price on same car I could have bought in Phoenix. Not bad for Juneau, Ak. Must give credit to information available on internet and being able to show the dealer what I could pay for it down south. Chrysler also bought out my lease on my Durango, 3 months early, and I opted for 3.9%financing. All in all I came out pretty good.
    I thought the newer cars came with 7 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. If so, why would you need to buy a warranty. Granted the max care is a little better than the powertrain warranty but $1300 better? Maybe you can get a refund.

Easyrider300M
  • grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    Berthold rays, LOL! If you drink enough tranya you can counteract the Berthold rays!

I'm thinking Sedona is farther than Tucson, but that might be because I'm in the south east valley. I think Flagstaff is about twice as far from Phoenix as Tucson is, and Sedona is closer to Flag than here. Maybe 90 miles to Tucson and 120 to Sedona. But these are just guesses.

Ah, yes. The drive on 60 towards Vegas can be a blast. It's much safer now that they've upgraded much of the road. And you get to see such great cities as Nowhere and Bagdad.

Igor
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Sedona, and Tucson are the same distance from Phoenix (downtown 100 miles), drive time to Tucson will be faster, because of the 35 miles of state roads you have to take to Sedona. There is more to do in (The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Old Tucson) Tucson, but the drive to Sedona is much nicer. If you go to Sedona take the Oak Creek Canyon drive it is very nice. The Grand Canyon is another 75 mile drive.
  • alg528alg528 Member Posts: 18
    I work in Newport, RI. Driving to lunch today (in my 2001 Inferno Red M) I spotted a few vintage Chysler 300's in a hotel parking lot. I learned there is a 300 Club meeting in Newport this weekend. Anyone know anything about this?
    alg528-

WHERE in Newport? I can be there ASAP.

fastdriver
    alg528-

I just checked a Newport calendar of events, but I don't see anything listed.

fastdriver
  • alg528alg528 Member Posts: 18
    The meeting headquarters seems to be the Best Western Mainstay Inn, 151 Admiral Kalbfus Road, Newport. It is right across from the Newport Grand Jai Alai fronton, just off the second exit from the Newport Bridge. Phone 401-849-9880.
    alg528-

Thanks. You're right! I just called there. The lady said that it is an "informal" meeting. The cars are parked outside until Sunday.

If the weather is nice, I might just take a ride up. Might be going anyway for Mother's Day.

Thanks for the info. Any 300's like my 63?

fastdriver