Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    At least you could have used a different ID! lol!
    I think you got an exceptional deal. Kelly Blue Book lists the dealer retail price (what you'd expect to pay at the dealer) as about $20k for that car. Edmunds says about $19.5k. While I think both of those are high, they might not be way off. People here have lamented being only offered 17k or so on a trade-in for similar cars. Trade-in is usually at least a couple of grand less than the eventual selling price, so to get that car for $17k is a steal. Especially if you know and trust the dealer that you got it from. Well done!
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Congrats on the Special. I hope you enjoy it. As for the speakers . Yes we still use the Infinity speakers . Enjoy!!!
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Oh crap! I just watched the 300M Special review on Motorweek...after hearing that exhaust growl and seeing it fly off the line, I have to have one!!! Basically, they loved everything about the car, including the exhaust note, the looks, the space, the power, etc., etc. Now, watching it, I could tell it was faster than other M's I've seen, seeing how it burned out off the line.

C&D got 8.1 to 60mph, but Motorweek got the following:
    0-60mph: 7.2 seconds
    1/4 mile: 15.2 seconds at 91 mph

Wonder why there's such a difference in the numbers?

Darn, just when I thought I was over Chrysler, I saw the Special zipping around corners and oh, that exhaust note! You should have seen the nasty looks and comments coming from my mother as she peaked around the corner from the kitchen! Now, I must find a way to afford an M! I'd love a Special, but I guess I could make it with my own "Special" used M. Hmm...wonder how I can make some good dough fairly quickly!

Any ideas?!
  • ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    LOL I was wondering if anyone was going to pick up on that LOL... Just a Public Service Announcement ya know...
    A lot of things can cause differences in performance numbers. Using auto-stick versus automatic. Traction control on or off. Broken in engine versus fresh off the factory floor. Road condition. Temperature. Etc. These things can make a significant difference. Oh yeah, my car is at least .5 seconds faster if I'm playing Rage Against the Machine in the CD player. ;)
    Make sure to serve the public on the 300M club boards too. There are a couple of threaded discussions about the poor 2002 amp performance, and there have been some questions about where to get an AB amp. Just FYI, the AB amp was used through the '01 model year and part way into the '02 model year. Some "Special" owners with cars built in 2/02 claim to have the good AB amp. I'm not sure how DC decided what cars to use the leftover AB amps in. I've heard of '02 Specials with the ABs AND ACs, but I don't think I've heard of a non-Special '02 with the AB.

Mike
    I wrote that like everyone knows what the AB and AC amps are. Sorry. For clarification, there have been several complaints about the sound quality of the new Ms (with the upgraded Infinity system) versus the older models. This most came from people that have traded in their 99s or 00s for 02s or Specials. A little investigative work (not by me) uncovered that the model number of the amp is different in the newer cars. The older cars (all 99 through 01, plus some 02s it seems) use an amp with the letters "AB" in the model number. The ones that don't sound as well have "AC". Reportely DC "hasn't received any complaints or know of any problems". I personally witnessed the replacement of an AC amp with an AB amp, and I can vouch that there is a substantial performance difference. Here is a picture of the AMP with the model number noted: http://community.webshots.com/photo/38323261/38323654TxxZcJ

Mike
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    sdmike2-

"Reportely DC "hasn't received any complaints or know of any problems"."

Did you think they would? ;-))

beach15-

When do you go for counseling? LOL......

fastdriver
    Probably soon! I know, I know, get over it!

Maybe I need to go for a ride in a new CL-S?!
    My medication and your emails must be running low!
    My brother just sent me, as a joke I might add, a copy of Hayseed Dixie's "Hillbilly Tribute to AC/DC". He knows I love AC/DC and hate country/hillbilly music. Nice guy, huh? I think I'll need therapy.

Anyone want to know what I'm talking about, visit your local peer-to-peer software program or get yourself some sound clips at http://www.cdnow.com. I'm still laughing. :)
    sdmike2-

BE NICE!! ;-)) I understand the "love/hate" feelings. Not quite "DRIVE=LOVE", but "LOOKS=LOVE"! ;-)))

fastdriver
  • no1trustno1trust Member Posts: 151
    I read, reread, & rereread the post. I'm not computer literate at all, but I THINK I understand some of what you're saying. Can I buy a laptop or something that allows me to have the same benefits of Nav w/the additional advantages of portability & internet access? I noted that lillarryjr was apparently typing in his experiences from the dealership, how is that done? And can I use Navs on whatever he's using? I have a world to learn about the subject; I'm only using WebTV for the internet access now (no foreseeable need for computers for me otherwise, except maybe for games). One thing that makes me homesick quicker on trips is the lack of internet access (like Edmunds, newspapers, etc.). Are there comparable message boards like here at Edmunds for newborns like me to get acquainted w/using personal computers (PCs?) so I would halfway know what I'm shopping for?
  • ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    Good Idea ! Im heading there now ! :)
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Have 2001 300M & 2000 Jeep GC. Any help or experience appreciated.
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    That's too funny! I'm still laughing too..... Kinda ironic as I currently have an AC/DC Theme on my computer at home so everytime I close I window I hear AC/DC licks (the good old stuff). So....you gonna buy it? Would sound real good in the M (well, maybe not). You might get some funny looks though if you have the window down.
  • km99cobrakm99cobra Member Posts: 46
    The Special is great, both in looks and performance. I'm glad it worked out. I've had my eye on it since last year's auto show. Now to the mod's....;-).

sdmike, I didn't check the amp yet, but thanks for the heads-up and the AC vs. AB thing. I'll be looking into it for sure. I had to stop playing Godsmack because of the buzzing, had to go pretty flat on the equalizer to stop the buzz and then it didn't sound good anymore. Even worse on FM radio. Maybe speakers and amp need some help. Not a big deal for now, having too much fun cruising.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    get yourself a basslink--that will solve your buzzing problem---I have a 2000 M and also had the buzz problem from day one---they replaced the door speakers but I still that the buzz on very deep bass. I think it the door panel or grill that is vibrating--the basslink will give you all the bass you will need... at a cost of about $200 plus installation--do a search on ebay for best price...

Enjoy your specail M
    ER
  • wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    I had a set of Michelin X-1's on my Intrepid (before the M)and was extremely happy with them. Superb traction on dry, wet or snow, quiet, and wore like iron,(600 wear rating), good price for 16's, abt $135 Canadian.
    1 possible problem, I'm not sure they're available in the M's 17" 55 series...
    Buy? ;) Let me know if you want a copy.
  • toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    I had the X-1's on my last car....Great tires. But they are not available in the size you want. I got the Michelin Pilot XGT Z4's for my 99LHS. A little pricey, but worth it!
    only 20 hours left, under $10,000 currently, NO RESERVE (means that it WILL sell for the highest bid) Someone might be able to steal this. High mileage but looks gorgeous. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1828096920
  • videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    Wow, except for the wheels and high mileage, that looks like my baby.
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    I just played the tape back and noticed that the tires on the Special they tested WEREN'T Pilot Sports - the tread was different.

Otto, Wire has there been a change in tires???
  • achanceachance Member Posts: 106
    I've used some onboards in rentals and have the Magellan slingon for my Palm. I also have a full-function chartplotter on my boat. Screen size and redraw rate is everything for use as a real "find your way" tool. Unless the dash is built for it, you have to take your eyes off the road far too much for safety. The larger screen of a laptop will give much more detail but of necessity is going to be out of your line of sight. The Palm (and others) small unit is too small to be of any use at all while you're moving - its great for setting a waypoint where you park your car in a large parking lot, though. The real limitation of the better automotive portables or bolt-ons would seem to be the internal antenna. A good external antenna gets a fix quickly and keeps it no matter what, the smaller internal ones get blocked and lose fix. The software for a laptop is going to be anywhere from 50 - 500 bucks, depending on how comprehensive you want it. A decent handheld WAAS enabled GPS with a data cord is 150 - 300, with placement of the handheld being very important so you need enough cord. GPSs eat batteries so a fixed power supply would be needed on a long trip - one for the laptop, too. I've not seen anything automotive in the aftermarket that compares to the built-ins or to the full-function in my boat, but I have the room for all the wiring and an external antenna. Garmin makes some pretty good units that go boat or car, and if you have a place on the dash for them, that would be the way to go - you're looking at 500 - 1000 for the whole setup, plus the install. You're looking at about the same money to equip a laptop, plus the cost of the laptop if you don't have one, but you can do all the other computer things with it as well - might as well sling on a modem for your cellphone and you can post to the board while driving around.
    heck of a deal for 10k though. Don't ya think?
    kosh_2258-

"I just played the tape back and noticed that the tires on the Special they tested WEREN'T Pilot Sports - the tread was different."

Maybe the roads were slippery or wet and they had to change tires the day they tested the car?

fastdriver
    That doesn't seem right. They should test with the stock set-up. Makes me question their findings for this and other cars as well.
    I just figured out why I couldn't find the listing for Motorweek...it's not shown in San Diego! Jeez. I guess they think I want to watch the Antiques Road Show about 1,000 times instead...
    sdmike2-

I think it's coming on here in about 45 minutes. I'd like to see it. Curious as to how someone could notice the difference in tires unless they show a close up of them.

fastdriver
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    nope no change in tires .The tires on your special are the same ones we are using now.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Where did they grow this nitwit?

PS.. On that 300M on eBay.. $11K is what its' worth retail. High Miles=Massive deduct on these.

Bill
    The mileage knocks a couple of grand off of it, but the retail "blue book" according to KBB and Edmunds is around $15k-$17k, especially in that clean of a condition.

I feel sorry for the person that traded that M in. If the seller (dealer) is willing to let it go for $10k, just think of what the trade-in must have been!
    sdmike2-

Oh no! Motorweek isn't on here! Hundreds of channels to choose from. I can get shopping channels, every movie out there, all sports, local access etc., but NO Motorweek!

I'm sure we get it. Maybe it's just not at 1:30 today. It's probably at 5 AM!! ;-)) I'll find it.

fastdriver
    go to motorweeks web site and check to make sure they show it in your city. Then go to the web site for your local cable company or PBS station and see if they have a schedule listed. They also show it on Speed Vision, but I don't get that either.
    that was a former lease so that guy had to pay a penalty of like 15 cents times about at least 43,000 miles which equals at least $6500 for the high mileage---figuring they allow you at most 15k per year--some leases I believe are only 12K per year---so if the residual value was like 15K,then they really got that car for like 8500. Someone is going to get a great deal on a very clean well kept car with mostly highway miles on it. Maybe Beach is bidding on it :-)
    Is that the "platinum" color? I like it. Too bad I don't need another M. ;) One question though...why wouldn't this guy buy the car at residual and save himself $6k on the lease penalty?
    sdmike2-

LOL... I did all that! It says it's on about 6 stations, but something else is on i.e. Cartoon Network, YES(Yankees Channel), ESPN, OLN etc.

I just e-mailed them to see what's going on.

fastdriver
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    Yea, you're right about naming sports teams after rocks. I can see it now; next years's World Series will be between by the Atlanta Amethysts and the Cleveland Rubies!
    Instead of the tomahawk chop we'll have the "rock hammer" chop
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    Yeah I noticed the tires looked like the Badyears per the tread. My Pilot A/S tires look a lot different. Also, in the beginning, Jon Davis was standing in front of an M with a front license plate with the Motorweek logo, but the test shots had no plate.

All in all, they really liked the car and the exhaust on the special sounds similar to the dual exhaust setup many of us have except maybe a tad quieter.

The numbers everyone is getting on the M are varying all over the place. One time it's 8 secs, Motorweek says 7.2 0-60, one club member got 6.89 0-60 with only intake mods. I guess I'm gonna have to get a Tazzo (www.tazzo.com) and measure it myself.
    political correctness is raising our posting numbers here---we should make number one again thanks to that mysterious soon to be banned new poster...
    When I check the rankings on the main TH page they all say 0 new posts. Either a bug or everyone's been very, very quiet. ;)
    sdmike2-

I noticed the same thing. When I first sign on, that's the page I go to. Sometimes I scroll down to see the top 10. More times than not, they all say 0! Maybe that's the new way to get in the top 10- say NOTHING! LOL....

fastdriver
    shhhhhhhhhhh.... ;)
    just kidding! Sure got quiet in here. :)
    sdmike2-

LOL... made you talk!! ;-))

fastdriver

PS The wacko has the hosts' attention. Now they just have to stop him/her.
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    SDMike: "heck of a deal for 10k though. Don't ya think?"

Sorry, the comment went over my head.

Fastdriver: Yep, they do show a closeup of the left front wheel & tire and good look at the tread pattern. The pattern looks an awful lot like the blocky directional tread on the Pilot Alpins I have.
    kosh_2258-

I was wondering how you saw it. I THOUGHT I was going to see for myself, but the show was not on at 1:30 today like their website says. I e-mailed them to see if and when it's on here.

fastdriver