Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,106
    started when I was 16. My first car was a 1992 Chevrolet Beretta GT. My best friend who live across the street bought a 1992 Prelude Si. That was such a fun car to srive and really turned heads and got compliments everywhere we went. It was probably not the best car for a 16 year old, but I digress.

When I went off to college, my freshman year I saw this Black/Black 1992 Prelude Si tooling around campus. Sophmore year I start talking to this guy on my floor. We start talking about cars and I find out the Prelude is his. We immediately clicked and he's still one of my closest friends today. His Dad knew somebody at a Honda dealer in ALbany, NY who knew somebody at American Honda. The dealer got his friend at American Honda to sell the car to him. He actually had what was the forst 1992 Prelude registered in the US. It was basically a Right Hand Drive conversion straight from Japan including a JDM spec motor. What a blast that car was to drive!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• lulu9lulu9 Posts: 154
    Oh my goodness! Jeez. I had my response all ready to be posted, and I hit the "cancel" button by accident, completely deleting everything!!! Oh brother. Now I've got to start over. :mad:

Timothytaw, I'm genuinely relieved to hear from you. I was so concerned that my long-winded postings had driven you away from your trusted forum--that I had high-jacked it with my feminine drivel!!

While NYC offers valuable advice/suggestions about what to do--and why--which completely gets him off the hook for his word count ;) --I go off into these never-ending tangents.

The fact that you owned three used '91 Preludes is quite remarkable. Wow! I'll bet the third would have been impeccable too if it weren't for the accident. I'm so glad to hear that you love our '01 so much! :)

It is also amazing that someone would sell a car without disclosing that it had been in an accident. That's just so wrong! :mad:

Even in this day and age--with multiple car reporting agencies--an unreported accident/mishap remains just that: unreported. So it's difficult to side-step a seller who's hell-bent on lying when you ask them the simple, yet straight-forward question: "Has this car ever been in an unreported accident/mishap?" Obviously, there are those out there who lack so much integrity that they can easily lie, without conscience.

Well, the rest of my post will need to be finished tomorrow because of my own little mishap. :cry:

Have a great evening!
  • The 90-91 Preludes were some sharp looking, great handling cars. When I see one on the road today, it still turns my head. If I could find one in good shape, I would probably pick it up. I guess I feel like you do about your 80ish prelude.
    But this last generation Prelude is even more special. It also is a sharp looking car with even BETTER handling! Like I said before, this one is a keeper :)
    In my (very) humble opinion, I think the Prelude had a certain mystique with each generation. With the Prelude, I was always like, "What will Honda do next with it?" The Celica always seemed brutish and rough around the edges (many of which I test drove) while the Prelude reflected refinement and ingenuity, raising it's coolness factor well beyond the more popular (mainstream) Celica.

My little '84 earned my total respect because, at the end of the day, it was a fine running automobile--unlike the other cars I'd owned. Other than the major repairs that all cars require at a certain age--timing belt, water pump, clutch, exhaust, this little car ran. It had close to 130,000 at the time I had to let it go.

My feeling is that Honda always put the best of what they had to offer in terms of technology into the Prelude throughout its various stages, yet they were also willing to take some design risks.

Anyone who's ever been drawn to the Prelude, enough to buy one, understands that the car's mystique is quite hard to pin down.

When my eyes took in that shiny '01 at the dealership, and then I sat down in it, that same feeling rushed back to me--the one I had about my '04. I was like, "Yes, I Completely Get It (whatever that "it" is)." Either you do or you don't.
    You probably already know this, but cars.com is a great resource for finding cars. At least this has been my experience. Perhaps your itch to pick up a 90-91 'lude will happen sooner than later. :)
    Thank you both, Nyccarguy and timothyaw, for tolerating me!

My "commute" is currently a mere 3 miles door to door, for which I'm most appreciative. Unlike NYC, I don't absolutely need to be at work when it snows/ices...I can stay home until the roads are cleared. However, if I had no choice about driving in snow, then I would need snow tires. I just didn't realize that snow tires made this much of a difference. It's good to know.

This is a Honda installed alarm, so it must have been installed at the time the car was brand new. That being said, I feel the same as you about car alarms. Whenever I hear one go off, my attitude is, "Just take the car, and be done with it." Not very nice, I know. And you're right: If they're that intent on stealing it, a car alarm will not stop them.

My real issue with the car alarm, which I failed to bring up, is that the remote car lock/unlock "thingy" is, apparently, tied into the alarm. So, again, the guy I bought the car from stopped using the remote keyless entry. He locked/unlocked it the old-fashioned/manual way. So, I've been doing the same, which is a huge pain. (Aren't we all so spoiled?)

It's just that I hope to get this straight in my head about how I can use my remote "thingy" without tripping the alarm. I have a feeling I'm going to need to call the Honda dealership in Westport. Yet, if you can help me sort out what you think needs to be done--so I don't look stupid--I would be grateful. I hate looking/sounding clueless when having to deal with a dealer...well, you know what I mean. I don't mind exposing my cluelessness here :blush: , but women can be easily taken advantage of when it comes to auto repairs...as you can well understand.
    Oh yes, the Chevy Beretta! You must have thought you were really cool. :shades: No, a Prelude would not be the best choice for a teenager with limited driving experience, but your friend obviously pulled it off somehow.

That's a great story about how you and your close buddy met--through the mutual apprecation of the 'lude. (Great minds think alike.) And that's an interesting piece of history about your friend's car.

It's an odd quirk, but I've always been attracted to the cars that "the boys" (who are into cars) are attracted to. I say this because grown men are still boys at heart (I mean that as an endearing quality). This goes back to my teenage years, when my very first "boyfriend" and his older brother (whom I really had the major crush on :blush: ) were totally into sports cars. So he introduced his world to me. He is the one who taught me how to drive a stick because anything else was ___________ (can't say here!). This is how my appreciation and preference for performance/sporty cars got started, and it has not changed since.
  • I'm sure there are some 90-91's out there, but are there any MINT ones left :cry: That's the question. I'll be poking around a little bit I guess.
    We are not "tolerating" you as you say, you've injected some life into this forum! It's great.
    Wow you only have a 3 mile drive to work? I guess you have to go for some nice drives on the weekend to really DRIVE the car. I on the other hand, I have a 27 mile commute to work, all freeway. I do get a chance to lay into it a little, while watching for the cops.

It's interesting how you were into the cars the "boys" had haha. So you are a true car girl. A good quality I like in women. Fortunately my gf is interested in cars, not to your extent however. When I'm mouthing off about cars for a long period of time, it's not a problem. Yes I am still like a little boy when it comes to cars. I am thinking about looking at my boyhood dream car the Acura NSX! That would be an unbelievable dream come true.
    lulu: As I've said before, It is great to have a new owner's perspective as well as a woman's view of things. I love the story about how you found the driver's license and cash in the car you test drove. BTW, the women probably got her license back, not the cash. That went straight into the salesman's pocket.

I hope you do get to open your car up a bit on the weekends. We've got some great roads in Southern CT & Westchester. 3 miles each way to work? Your car barely has time to warm up.

Timothy: I'm the same way when it comes to cars. When my wife and I were first dating and I'd see a cool car, I'd always turn my head and ask...did you see that? One of her friends asked her if it bothered her. She said: "I'd rather have him look at cars than other women."

Have you ever driven an NSX? It is truly a truly incredible vehicle. I drove a '91 NSX with a 5 speed stick & no power steering....What a car!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Yes I have driven one, I have my eye on a 2001 model. We'll see. Once again, Honda has let us down by dropping another great car. All they have now are trucks, SUV's and boring cars :mad: I know, just let me whine about it.
    The 2 Honda models that stand out in my mind are the S2000, Civic Si, & the Acura TSX. I really wish they'd make RWD Acuras. Their boring cars are still available in Jalepeno Flavor. The Civic Si can be had in 2 door or 4 door guise. The Accord V6 is available with a Six Speed stick (coupe & sedan). The S2000 is a fabulous car! The Acura TSX has got the old school Honda handling & ride and is just a bit short on power (and is available with a stick). Honda is no longer my favorite car company as it once was (that title is shared by BMW & Porsche).

At the risk of sounding religious, if you truly desire a 90-91 black/black (your fav colors, right?) standard shift 'lude in mint/great condition (after all, when you dream, you need to be specific about what you ask for), then all you need to do is visualize what you want--from the emotional platform of complete faith that it will happen, and the Prelude of your desires will come your way. (Talk about a run on sentence...NYC can get on my case for this one!) In other words, none of this: :cry: But this: :D whenever you think about it, and you will draw it to you.

Actually, this spiritual practice is applicable to all our dreams and aspirations.

It is truly a blessing that my distance from work is 3 miles because, as you can see, I'm a night owl--always have been. So getting up any earlier than absolutely necessary is not a reasonable option for me. Some of my best writing ideas flow my way later in the evening, after I've had a chance to decompress and can get into my own private space.

I think it's wonderful that your gf supports your interest in cars. I think it's important (critical) that a woman learn/be willing to share at least one of her man's interests--even if it is an acquired taste--as long as she's not sacrificing her core values. It's essential to the long-term quality of the relationship. If a woman can't do this, then there will be problems down the road--if not immediately. For example, in my case, I totally detest hunting. I once had a date with a man who was into bow hunting. Bow hunting! :cry: Obviously, I found out right away that there was a major conflict of interest, and that's putting it mildly. Yet, in all fairness, he's entitled to find a woman who can listen to him go on about his hunting trips, how he stalked his prey, etc. She might even join him!

It just so happens that my first bf's enthusiasm for cars caught me at a young enough age where I was completely open to it. And we would go to the races at Lime Rock. Just like you with your gf, he would go on and on about cars. So, unwittingly, I was just a sponge, taking it all in, without realizing how much it would influence my preferences down the road.

Where did you take the NSX test drive...at a dealership?
    One of my best friends test drove an S2000 not too long ago. She said the drive was awesome, but the ride was "punishing." I haven't yet had a chance to check it out up close and personal, but I love the styling.

The Civic Si has a tremendous amount of buzz. Have you driven one?
    A guy approached me today after work at Starbucks parking lot...asked me what year my (our) car was. I said a 2001. He said, "That's the last year, right?" And I replied, "Yeah it is" as in "YEAH BABY" (Hey, I just can't help myself.) He said, "Nice car you got there."

Now if this continues, I may start to worry that my car is taking attention away from me! :cry: But for the time-being, I'm enjoying these moments of appreciation on our cars' behalf. It's good for the car to hear.

Remember this "LuLuism": "Form defines the emotional and attractive qualities of mass."

In other words: I recall how much heat/criticism our last gen. 'lude took for both its "dated" exterior and interior styling. Yet, from my sensibility, I always saw the styling as classic and tasteful--a design that would stand the true test of time. And it most certainly has. :shades:
    Where have you driven the NXS? What did you guys do...go to the dealerships and ask to test drive that car?

Your wife's response to her friend is 100% correct! Now...how could a woman allow herself to feel insecure over a car?? (Well, there is one way...if you read my previous post. :P )

I mean, checking out cool cars is sweet and innocent compared to some of the other "activities" the male gender has proclivities in, don't ya think?

When you and Timothy wax poetic about old-school Hondas, are you referring to the era when their cars were made in Japan??
    One of my best friends test drove an S2000 not too long ago. She said the drive was awesome, but the ride was "punishing."

That's how I like it :P

My senior year in college (going all the way back to 1998), I went to visit a friend in Winston/Salem, North Carolina for a few days. He was a year older than me, had graduated the year before, and had a "real job." When he was at work all day, I went and test drove a bunch of cars. One of the cars I test drove ws a used NSX. So well balanced, such and intoxicating exhaust note, great steering feedback...blissful!

When I talk about some of the old school hondas, I'm not necessarily talking about the ones made in Japan. I'm talking about Hondas before they were "Americanized." My sister had a '95 Accord EX Coupe. It was seriously fun to drive with precise steering and 4 wheel double wishbone suspension. It was like driving a bigger Prelude that wasn't as powerful. I think a new Civic is the same size as that Accord was. The new Accords are huge. Their suspensions are tuned to almost Lexus levels. They still drive OK, but the interiors aren't as nice (The Speedometers on the Accords are ridiculous).

I haven't driven a new Civic or an S2000.

"Shhhhhhhhh! Qwiet! I'm Huntin' Wabbit."

• I don't get on much during the weekends. Yes I know a friend that let me drive is 94 NSX. He's an NSX nut I tell ya! I knew before driving it that I wanted one. When they were introduced in 91, I knew right then that one day I would get one.
    Yeah Honda (and Acura) have only 2 cars that are pretty good. The Acura TL and TSX. I'm not a big fan of the new Civic, I guess you either like the styling or hate it. Of course the S2000 was on my list. But I can't fit in one, I'm 6'6" :cry: My knee hits the dash, so I can't clutch it lol.
    Like nyc says it's not necessarily that the cars from back in the day came from Japan(it does make a huge difference) but it's the ideals maybe. Like back in the day, most of Honda's sporty cars came with 4 wishbone suspension. Now they don't. RSX didn't have it. Honda has IMO lost it's way, it's SOUL of Mr Honda. At right this moment, there would be nothing that would be of interest to me to buy from them. That is sad. And I'm not sure it's going to ever be like the old days again. One can only hope I guess.
    You are right, I will hope that there is a black/black 91 Prelude out there for me somewhere. I'll just live in own world of Honda's glory days.
    NYC and Timothyaw...will get your “old-school” posts later.

Check out what happened last night while driving South on the Merritt! No comment is necessary.

My parents have a place in the Woodbury area of CT (very beautiful part of the state). We knew that snow was expected in the evening, but I thought it would be later. Talk about getting caught with “something” down (to quote Nyccarguy)!

On my way home on the Merritt last night at about 8:30, heading south at about 75 mph (‘cause I didn’t want to miss too much of the Academy Awards) it suddenly—without warning—turned into a blizzard as I came around a bend in Fairfield. Not only was there minimal visibility because it was snowing so heavily (so I was literally blinded for a few moments), the road had significant accumulation. Upon entering the twilight zone, I immediately felt a significant loss of road grip. We know how bad these tires are in fresh snow! (Well, I found out on V-Day!) Talk about a white-knuckled experience! Nothing happened, thank goodness, but nothing happened only because I did not let myself freak out. My instinct was to put my foot on the brake to slow down, but that could have been deadly (as you can imagine). So I fought my instinct to slow down on a road where there was little traction. That took guts, and it was a terrifying experience to live through! Instead, I took my foot off the gas until the naturally car slowed down on its own--to the point where I could safely downshift into 4th. From that point forward I reduced my speed to about 45.

After surviving that hellacious experience
    , I’m going to get snows for next year.

Thanks for listening!
    One of my best friends test drove an S2000 not too long ago. She said the drive was awesome, but the ride was "punishing."

"That's how I like it :P"

Nyccarguy, the day is going to come when precious little Nyccarguy, Jr. announces (after getting his learner's permit), "Dad...I want a ___________________" (fill in whatever super-fast, awesome car is happening in the year 2023). Why? Because the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. Are you sure you don't want to tone down your car preferences? :P

I can't even begin to relate emotionally to a man who hunts--not out of necessity for sheer survival--but for the adrenaline or "rush" that certain lizard-brain men evidently experience when taking down innocent creatures. Poor wittle wabbits!

Thank you for expanding upon your meaning of "old-school" Hondas. O.K., got it. Now I understand where you're coming from. That would make me an old-school appreciator as well.

Such gonads you have to test drive the NSX (!!) at a dealership! See? This is one of the differences between men and women right here: Unless I could afford to buy a given car, or unless I was in the market to buy a car in the not-too-distant future, I would not have the gumption to test drive cars at a dealership! For instance, my friend test drove the S2000 only because both she and her husband were due for car replacement in the near future, and she was legitimately looking at the S2000 (she's the tomboy--not him). So the lesson for me is...if there's a car I'm really curious about--other than looking/admiring from afar and then reading up on it--just visit my local dealership and take it for a spin! :)
    it is lots of fun during the day when the weather is clear. At night and during inclement weather it can be downright deadly.

One summer a few years ago we were returning from my aunt & uncle's house in New Hampshire. 95 was a parking lot as usual, so I cut across in Stamford to the Merit. It was pitch black and I really wasn't going more than 60 mph. I came over a hill and saw 4 green dots staring at me. There were 2 ginormous deer standing right on the parkway. Instincts tell me to swerve to the left as there was 1 deer in each lane. I look to the left and there is a 3rd deer (this all happens in fractions of seconds). So I downshifted to 4th, hit the gas and drove right through the 2 deer in the left & right lane! There was a crowded 4runner full of kids behind me. I stopped at the gas station to catch my breath. They looked at me like they saw a ghost..."Dude, I can't believe your Prelude is in 1 piece!"