Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    hatemy300mhatemy300m Member Posts: 7
    TO ANY PROSPECTIVE 300M BUYER - DON'T DO IT
    AFTER 3 YRS (BOUGHT 1999 300M)THE EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN HORRIBLE - PWR WINDOW MOTOR BROKE, 2 MAJOR TRANSMISSION FAILURES, FUEL GAUGE SENSOR FAILURE, BRAKES NEED CONSTANT WORK (ROTOR SHIMMY / PAD REPLACEMENT)ETC AND CHRYSLER KNOWS ABOUT MANY OF THESE PROBLEMS AND YET THEY WON'T STAND UP AND DO A RECALL SO I AM STUCK WITH IT BEING OUTSIDE THE WARRANTY - NEVER AGAIN CHRYSLER - NEVER AGAIN
  • Options
    jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    Check out Californiadream for a spoiler for your LHS.

I put one of these on my wife"s 01 steel blue and it looks great. The curved arch follows the lines of the car and the lip turns up to match the bottom of the bumper. It has a 30 led brake lite. The color match was perfect.

http://california-dream.com/images/99chrylhs73l.jpg

• Options
    pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    THERE'S ONE IN EVERY BUNCH. YOU GOT ONE OF THEM. THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE OTHER FOLKS WHO OWN THEM ARE PRETTY HAPPY... TWO THINGS YOU MIGHT CONSIDER - SELL THE CAR, AND CHECK YOUR CAPS LOCK KEY.
  • Options
    glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    I'm sorry you've had so many problems with your M. As has been stated so many times before here and elsewhere, ALL vehicle makes will have a certain percentage of "bad ones". You can check any of the boards on Edmunds and you will find problems and disgruntled owners. The vast majority of M owners love their M's and experience very few and minor problems. It's not fair to condemn an entire vehicle line based on a few lemons. If that were the case, none of us would ever own anything!
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    ok beach15...you should only have 1 account on Edmunds.
  • Options
    toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    1) Window motors - most of us have had this problem but were quickly addressed under warranty. DC got a bad bunch of window motors. It happens. They corrected the problem

2)If the "major transmission" problem was the speed sensors, then I don't really consider that "major". If it was something else, it should have been addressed during the warranty period.

3) Yes some rotors have been warped. This again should have been addressed long bfore 36K.

Good luck on you next (non-MOPAR) car. If you find one that has a 100% guarantee (not warranty) of absolutely no problems, let us know what kind of car it is, 'cause I don't know of any. You can spend 100K on a car and still have warranty problems (anything from minor rattales to major engine failure.)

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Was your car built on April 17, 1998? Could have been Fastdriver's M's twin.
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    I've been posting here for three years, and that is the first and only post I have ever seen by hatemy300m. Where have he/she been for the last 3 years while all the contributors here and at the plant have given advice and guidance on particular problems that might occur and could be solved. And why, if the vehicle was such a "lemon" [or "Christine clone," if some prefer] did he/she not seek to make DC buy it back? A couple of people did that, and posted here on how to do it. No car, especially in the first year of build, is going to be perfect, but some of us have gotten really excellent vehicles from the 99 year build. [And, I am not a "running dog" for DC on this. Before the M I was always a GM man, partial to Olds/Aurora, who hated Chrysler products based on a real bad 76 Plymouth that my in-laws got.] Sorry for the problems you have had, but I plan on keeping my platinum 99 as a tuner/classic when I move on to the 03 Special in Graphite, the Hemi C, or the Caddy XLR [if I hit the lotto]. But, if I get to the next world before any one of those things occur then I'm thinking of leaving it to Beach!
  • Options
    jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    Sorry about your experience, but it is not typical of the 300M. In fact, I believe that the 300M continues to be on Consumer Report's "Recommended" list which means their data indicates good perfomance in their testing AND ave to above ave reliability (and CR historically does not like Chryslers!).
    Your bad experience reinforces my long-held bias against buying the 1st model year of ANY new car design (foreign or domestic). I hate being an automotive "beta-tester".

BTW- my 2001 300M has had zero problems.

Jon
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Or I should say my 99,00,and 01.
  • Options
    A question on the rear transmission spacer. I have the 28mm bolts but the spacer in place there is not enough bolt left for the nut to go on. The bolt is 28mm - 10mm - 14mm for the transmission flange. Is yours the same alumnium, or is yours a steel flange?
  • Options
    toledo19toledo19 Member Posts: 119
    Are MOST 300m owners over 50 and either hard of hearing or deaf? I only ask this because during my extensive test drive of this vehicle last weekend I couldn't believe how bad the engine and road noise were. It was so bad on the freeway, I could barely hear the radio at medium volume. But, you folks continur to laud this car. Even CR comments how noisy the Chrysler LH series vehicles are.
  • Options
    kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    Trollin', Trollin, Trollin...

Just another PO'd person who thinks that a population of 1 constitutes a consumer movement.

I've had 1 or 2 bad purchases in my life too, it happens.

Best of luck on whatever wheels you buy next.

Toledo19; new or used? year if used?? My hearing is just fine and my 02 isn't noisy - certainly NOT the engine. Now my 98 Intrepid was a way different story.
  • Options
    toledo19toledo19 Member Posts: 119
    It was an 02. By the way I'm 53, and was disappointed with the noise. The M is truly a beautiful automobile.
  • Options
    Road noise...you bet...it's got it, especially on concrete pavement versus asphalt. Engine noise? Only when I gun the bejezus out of it. Otherwise, there's little if any engine noise in the cabin.
  • Options
    Do you know what make of tires were on the car and was it a demo that has had the "crap" run of it? I have an '01 that was very quiet until, of course, I added my duals and Flowmaster setup. (I like to hear my car!) Tires as well as road surface can make a huge difference!
    BTW-I'm 55!
  • Options
    arby500arby500 Member Posts: 68
    Graphite is just the color we were looking for when my wife an I went into the Chrysler Dealer to look at the 300M (gee, 7 months ago and 8100 miles already). Now it's on a Special? Oh well, my Silver is still sweet and runs perfectly.
  • Options
    Ordinarily I would agree with you....all the "research" seems to point to avoiding first year models...especially with such a new design as the LH platform cars. However, I threw all that "research" out the window the first time I saw a 99LHS and 99300M on my dealers lot! Sometimes you have to go with your gut. I will admit to deciding to lease the car for the first 3 years "just in case" there were major problems, but at lease end last April I bought the car at the residual value because there were no problems and I love the car. I just decided to let DC take the risk for the first 3 years!

Besides, we 1999 "early adptopters" have some advantages:

- 3 more hp (253 vs. 250)
    - the better AB amplifier
    - overhead console computer standard

LOL!!!
  • Options
    arby500arby500 Member Posts: 68
    I had a fender bender in a local Home Depot parking lot. My Toyota Corolla with 190K miles has front end damage and I'm not gonna spend to fix it. So, it's replacement time.

I'm looking for something economical since I drive 160 miles roundtrip everyday and my beloved Special isn't gonna get ruined by this abusive daily trek. I want to stay under $20K for a new car.

Last night I drove the Accord (YUCK!!! I thought it had a lawnmower engine in it. The Auto Transmission shifted so much it was annoying.), a PC Cruiser (Yuck!!! felt like the walls were closing in on me). Hyundai Sonata (Decent car for the price. I actually liked it and the 4cyl felt just like the 6cyl). Last but not least the Toyota Camry Solara. This is getting the early nod from me. They have a pretty little Red one on the lot and it fits my large frame very nicely.

Other car suggestions would be appreciated... No, I'm not gonna get a used 300M. Maybe the Altima?

I'm opting for new and reliable as I drive over 50K miles a year.
  • Options
    russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    No chrome exhaust tips on the '01M? What is Chrysler thinking?
    Makes you wonder where else they cut costs!
    I quit Ford because of the continual decontenting...hope Chrysler isn't next.
  • Options
    russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Wow! 50K miles per year...makes me think about my younger days when I did that.
    Sounds like you need comfort, good economy, and at least enough fun to drive to keep you from dreading the daily commute.
    The Solara would fill the bill, but can you get one for $20K? How about the VW Passat?
    In any event, sounds like an extended warranty would be in order!
  • Options
    intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    My 2000 has all those advantages as well. My wife's 2001 has 2 out of 3,losing 3 h.p. But she has the chrome exhaust tips, which I think look great (and I would trade 3 h.p. for!)

Why on earth would Chrysler drop them on the 2003? That, and the AC amplifier problem are definitely considerations for me when my lease runs out next year and I get a replacement. But I have to admit, price is an even greater consideration for me. Saw a 1-only ad in this morning's paper for a new 2002 M -- MRSP about $29,900 (pretty basic, obviously) -- selling for $23,888! What a bargain!
  • Options
    It depends on what you're used to, I guess. My M is much quieter than any other car I've owned, and quietier than nearly all of the 50 or so different models I have rented. Well, at least before I installed my dual exhaust and sub-woofer. For the record, I'm 40 and hear just fine.
  • Options
    I sure hope DC doesn't plan to downgrade the M out of the sport/luxury category down to a basic "sedan" category. When I reviewed the '04 prototypes they had questions about equipment and pricing...and in the base model of the 300N they talked about leather being an upgrade and the MSRP being in the sub 25K range. I sure hope they don't go this path.
  • Options
    hatemy300mhatemy300m Member Posts: 7
    I can't believe you guys are all rushing to defend this piece of c - I didn't write about this car for the last 3 years because I didn't know about this website - Many of you say I am the only one then why does my "5 star" dealer have this wierd smirk and knows of all these problems saying "I have seen it before", implying this is happenning all the time but Chrysler doesn't want to step up - This car sucks - All of you sound like you think this car is twice as fast as it really is - 253HP doesn't do alot when it has to go thru only 4 gears - Even when this piece does work it is terribly slow for a "performance sedan" - Face guys Chrysler today is the Chrysler of yesterday and this thing is a pig - Sell it and get a real performance car like the Infiniti G35 - Of course you will be unpleasantly surprised by the weak resale, but of course that is to be expected with all the problems that you guys think should be "normal"
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Well it looks like the last year 2003 they are cost cutting to make some $$$. Beach , yes we start 03's in July .We then will work till Sept 03 when we close for retooling for the LX car.We will start building pilot 04 cars in Nov or Dec 03.
    Arby ,how are you? hows that silver beauty ;-))
    yes the graphite looks good
    Russ , yeah does not make sense , but hey the big wigs know better ??.
    sdmike ,from what we hear they want to go upmarket with our next cars ,not down
  • Options
    There are close to 18000 posts on this board, the vast majority of them dedicated to praise, performance, and customization. If you don't like the M, fine, sell it and get a G35. Then you can [non-permissible content removed] and moan on that board!
  • Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    I think most of us defend the car because we have had great experiences with it. Your latest post complains that the car is "terribly slow" for a performance car. One would think you could have determined during your test drive whether its speed satisfied you. You listed other complaints, including "two major transmission failures." Someone else asked you to elaborate on those, so again, what happened? Some '99's did have window motor problems, and DC corrected that. Brake rotor and pad problems can be caused by misuse, overtightening lug nuts, or other reasons. A few people have reported such brake problems, but not most. I have not heard of any other report of a fuel gauge sensor failure, and that doesn't strike me as a major problem. Hope you have a great experience with your G35, and I hope you've test-driven it enough that you won't be whining about its performance three years from now. It's probably a great car, but I doubt each one sold will be completely free of any problems. Finally, thanks for dumping the all-caps - it's hard to read.
  • Options
    I'm talking about coming off a curved entrance ramp to a freeway. Yep, it's most likely in second since I don't want to replace my tires every month because of asinine driving. Hit the gas as you come out of that curve and within 10 seconds my cars in triple digits. And in my neck of the woods, triple digits doesn't do much good for your license.

Look..you got a bad one, but you are apperntly ordering a flawless Infiniti. Good for you. But here's a tip...wait...If they really do come out with a 6 speed, then "upgrading" the one you're buying will most likely void the warranty.
  • Options
    ezmuneeezmunee Member Posts: 1
    Great board, has been lots of help as I've put 40K on my '00 Deep Saphire 300M.
    Trouble free and a great road car - fun to drive.
    No mods yet, but ya'll got this Arkansas mountain boy thinkin.

Has anyone experienced front end noise on cold mornings? Has my 5* stumped? and so far they have been 5*
  • Options
    Maybe Chrysler has been reading this board -- they figured everyone is gonna rip them out and install duals anyway, so why bother.
  • Options
    rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    A buddy and I are getting ready to do the duals to our M's and wondered if any of you had eliminated the collector for a straight pipe? If so, how did it sound?
    We know we can't get V8 sound from a 6 but wondered if anyone tried it. All info will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Rick

P.S. LOVEMYM
  • Options
    I was being (only slightly!) "tongue=in-cheek" about the advantages of the 1999. I'm sure they made some improvements in the last 2 years, but nothing so radical as to make me desparately want a newer model. Sure, I lust after the real wood dash and the steering wheel sound controls, but c'mon....while I may be tempted, I'm not gonna trade in my 99 beauty. Besides, I only have 40K on my machine....darn thing still smells new!

Oh...and my 99LHS always had chrome tips.....!!
  • Options
    I don't know about eliminating the collector, but you can get it to sound like a V8 with a Flowmaster Muffler like Glennbp has. His sounds sweet (but I wimped out and went with the Dynomax -- was afraid it would be too loud inside my 99 which doesn't have as much soundproofing)
  • Options
    No problems, with my 99, except for the air box (which I made for it). I purchased the car because of the Looks, Handling. and Roomyness (trunk included).
    Apparently hatemy300m has not read too many postings to know that there are several, sub 7 second 300M's out there, and he forgets it takes a fast reflexes to make it go fast too. As for sound it is pretty quiet at 72db on concrete freeways (asphalt is even quieter). At the time I purchased this car The I30 was just an overpriced Maxima. If I wanted a fast car I would have got an Audi or BMW. The interior (the part you ride in) was much smaller.
  • Options
    mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    Does anyone know if there are any more chrome shift handles out there, still?
  • Options
    Forget the previous post to you. To fix the spacer problem I made three shims. Two for the support/mount being 3.30mm each, and one for the top mount, also 3.30mm. So the spacing is correct. I didn't get any vibration before so, I do not expect too much differance in the ride. My mother came over and saw me under the car (which always makes her nervous. She figures the company made the car right, so why mess with it. She likes the lowered look and the ride, which I knew she would, since she saw Dubbs 300M, which was lowered (slammed) too. Now to make a new air box (at least a new lower section). The new one will be smaller and use much less foam, ha ha.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, ever hear the expression "don't feed the trolls"? There's a lot of wisdom in it.

I think I have taken care of the problem here, but feel free to drop me an email if I've overlooked anything.

I appreciate those of you who showed restraint. To those who took advantage of the situation, you were just making the problem worse and my job very much harder.

The Town Hall is not monitored in real time, as you know. When a problem like this develops, the most constructive thing to do is ignore the person creating the problem and drop me an email.

I appreciate it!

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • Options
    intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    You're right...not much in the way of changes, but my wife does love the radio controls on the steering wheel in her 2001!

The 300M is a great car from conception and if Chrysler wants to make minimal improvements moving forward, that's ok with me. But why regress with backward changes like no chrome exhaust tips?

It concerns me that other unseen cost savings will be built into the 2003, since that will be the last year for the 300M.

Maybe I'll just have to get a "Special"...
  • Options
    Maybe they traded the chrome exhaust tips for the two extra CD's in the changer???? Kidding :)

Most cars in their last year don't get much attention just because all the effort is being expended on the incoming model by selected vendors, purchasing, and manufacturing folks.

This will be a major change to the car compared to the LH to LH2 switch. Lots of ground to cover to make sure the launch goes well.

Otto, have they let you folks see what it is you'll be building in about 15 months?
  • Options
    I had meant to post this earlier, but forgot and now I don't have the newspaper article but kosh's post made me think of it. Evidently GM has a rwd/high hp car they sell in Austraila under a strange name that I don't remember any more (darn it). Bob Lutz wants to bring it to the US and rebadge it a GTO as long as only minor changes are made to make it sellable in the US. Supposedly will come in a convertible and over 350hp. Sounds like major competition for the 300 Hemi C if they ever decide to make it.
  • Options
    This article doesn't say anything about a convertible and it's not too special looking is it? Looks like a Cavalier to me. Maybe Chrysler doesn't have anything to worry about afterall.

http://www.autoguide.com.au/news.asp?ed_id=1431&class=Latest_News

I just checked out Holden's web site and it looks better on there, kinda reminds me of a Volvo or Mustang too -- looks cool in black -- has 18" wheels. I can't find any specs that list Hp though.

I still like my M better.....

• Options
    Here is a link to the mfg website. The specs on this baby are awesome! DC take note!!!

http://www.holden.co.nz/products/prod_index.jsp?id=1059

• Options
    toledo19; I'm not sure what to make of your experience. My 02 is quiet on just about any road surface except some certain stretches of concrete. Even then it isn't obnoxious. I typically drive 75 and seldom have to run the stereo any louder than I do around town. The loudest sound is a muted wind rush around the pillars.

blonda, the car is a Holden Monaro, and it HAS been approved for production as the next GTO here. Yes, if the brass at GM pay attention and learn something from Mr. Lutz GM will again become a force to be reckoned with. They have the raw resources, they've just lacked the visionary leadership and clear direction.

P.S. Don't panic folks, that $74,000 Australian Dollars or about $41,000 US
  • Options
    I can understand not *adding* a whole bunch of stuff in the last year of a model series, but I can't understand eliminating or downgrading stuff. If your sitting in a 99 and swing by your local dealer "just to look" at the new models (that's what I tell my wife anyway !) you expect AT LEAST to see the same stuff that's on your present car, not see things eliminated or things that were previously "standard" now an "option." Believe me, nothing turns off a potential trade in than that "strategy." I know next to nothing about marketing, but I've got to believe this has turned off other potential trade-in customers as well.
  • Options
    jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    Performance Vehicle Operations Is this something new? Or are they just trying to match SVO @ Ford. Saw it it my new Chrysler advertiser.
    Maybe they can get a push going on the Hemi-C.
    Looks like they now need a team to come up with the ideas that Lutz did.
    That PT/10 wold also make a sweet ride.
  • Options
    FYI the specs convert to:
    Horsepower 225Kw = 302hp
    Torque 460Nm = 339 ft/lbs

Toms99: I understand your point, but it looks like the only thing "downgraded" was the chrome pipe tips. On the flip side they improved the CD changer which for most customers is a more useful thing. The chrome tips are pure appearance, pure cost and serve no functional purpose. So if they had to cut cost I'd rather see them do that than cut corners in more vital places. Recall that the early 2001 M had the chrome and leather shift knob that was abandon in favor of the original all leather one. So it isn't like this hasn't happened before.
  • Options
    ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    Im not sure of the details, but my mechanic ordered a new transmission mount (Part Number 4663970-AB) to get the job done...

He did mention that I should check the engine mount bolts every 5k miles because with the spacers in place there wasnt a whole lot of room left to screw them down... He said it was ok, but just check to make sure...
  • Options
    ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    http://winfieldtires.safeshopper.com/191/1685.htm?65

Im thinking of taking the plunge to 20's with these rims... Kinda similar to the razorstars but bigger...

Oh yeah and they only weigh 27lbs each :) May have to get the prowler pro gears though :)

• Options
    The NETS win!