Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Gosh, when it rains it pours!
    Sorry about your wife's need for additional surgery; best wishes to her!
    You may have missed a previous post in the 800 odd messages, but I found myself in your situation 5 years ago at age 58.
    I have since found a small frozen food manufacturer in nead of professional sales and marketing help. In 5 years we have almost tripled sales, and I now do my own thing and couldn't be happier.
    Moral: It's usually darkest just before the dawn.
    Wish you the best!
  • hmk123hmk123 Member Posts: 122
    I do have the Chrysler Extended Warranty (Maxcare). Am not sure how much I paid, but I think it wasn't as cheap as mentioned by others. I did not negotiate it. Anyway, mine has a $100 deductible though and I am wondering if I should bump it up to one without deductible. I wonder if I can still do it and how much it would cost. The car itself is still under the original warranty (it is a '01 with 26k on it). Any comments? Thanks.
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    to the world of the working. Is this the job you were telling me about a few weeks ago? Anyway, best of luck and hug Big Red!
  • muskateer3muskateer3 Member Posts: 103
    I ended up going with a third party warranty. I got a 8yr 100K $0Ded BtoB from

http://www.1sourceautowarranty.com .They are highly rated and the independent reviews look good.

I went this route due to the price differential between mopar maxcare, the added components covered (including smog and battery), and the fact that I can have repairs done at any ASE certified auto repair facility.

This works for me as the mechanic I now use for my other vehicle is a master and I trust him. I will go there for maintenance and any repairs once the factory warranty expires (Nov 02 - won't be at 36K yet). Will only go to the dealer for major failures (engine/trans/AC/computers).

My 00 M continues to be trouble free, other than the lightshow (repaired under warranty - light switch) and lousy homelink range (also under warranty - new antenna).

Won't know for sure if this was the right choice until something breaks. But since I bought the warranty, this will probably be never. I am also quite sure that had I not bought it, the car would have imploded December 1st.

M3

• toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    Doc - Sorry to hear about your job situation. FWIW, I for one will never forget your powerful on-line blow-by-blow "as it was happening" description of the horrific events of 9-11. Your insightful comments put us all just a few blocks away from ground zero.

I don't know what the job market is like in central NJ. I grew up in Roselle Park (a stone's through from Union) but have lived "down the Jeerzy Shore" for the past 13 years, Not much call for web designers down here at the shore.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    drpixel-

Sorry for all the bad news. Been thinking about you and Mrs. P. since you've been absent for so long. Wish you had better news. As if 9/11 wasn't bad enough for you to go through. Now this.

You'll both be in my prayers. Keep us posted.

fastdriver
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Doc, thank your stars that you got that much severance. Although things look crummy now, when you get that kick butt job in 6 months and have an extra 6 months of salary in the bank you'll look back at it and smile. I only received 2 months severance and it took me 7 months to find a job, so I'd much rather be in your shoes. The other advice that I have is ENJOY IT! Do some preliminary job search work like getting your resume in order and getting involved with monster.com and hotjobs.com, and check the on-line job listings of local companies daily. But whatever you do, and I speak from experience, don't let it drag you down! Stay upbeat and enjoy the time you have off. If you want to talk give me a call. You have the number.

Glennbp - Not sure which one we were talking about last, but this is with company that produces tax software. OH!! I'm out of Z6....you still using it? If not, can I buy your leftovers?

M
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    NO, you can't buy my leftovers! But you can have a new bottle - my gift to you for going back to work!
  • bobspcbobspc Member Posts: 20
    Well I broke down and went to dealer they agreed to get the screw out, which btw I used a screw extractor on and still could not budge, anyway they agreed to take the screw out and change the plugs for flat rate of changing the plugs at 1 hour. Figure I got a bargain if this is what it turns out to be.
    Bob
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    I was getting teh light show for about a month, say once per week. The last time I got it, I turned the light switch from "auto" to "on" and back to "auto". The show stopped and hasn't come back since (2-3 weeks ago). Since I have extended warranty w/$50 deductible, I'm waiting to see if anything else goes wrong before I bring it in. Bought the car w/48K miles, now 59K, and no problems other than the occasional light show which really didn't upset me. Never bought a used car before, and certainly didn't have to, but with the Chrysler poor resalve values there are some good bargains, which I took advantage of. It's a buyer's market if you bargain firmly.
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    Pardon me if this has already been posted, regarding article on autoweek on CHrysler plans for hemi V8 in the 300N, an '05 car supposedly.

http://www.autoweek.com

• 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Hope springs eternal. I liked the other engine options too, there all bigger.
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    Sign me up! I'm just glad to hear they are really going through with it. By the time that car comes out in 2004, it will be the perfect time to get rid of my 2001. They didn't mention price, but I've heard rumors of a 35k base price.(Which will probably be pretty loaded) Heck, I just want the 353HP!!!!
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    mrl859-i do not know if they(DC)even know about this problem with the speakers.Yes the rubber mat is gone.We have not had the speakers with the Infinity stickers on them for a long time, sorry the dealer is your best bet if you really want them. if you send me the vin and estimated production date( on sticker on the front drivers door pillar)I can try and get some info like if I it was on my shift and a few things like that.

bigmike5- yup we have built many LH cars in Graphite so you should be able to see it.
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    My 99 has done a light show twice. Both times it stopped by doing your trick of turning on the headlights and then turning them back to auto. It's only happened twice in the past month, and once I turn the light switch, it stops.
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Mike, congratulations on the new job! I am still looking at anything and everything, including Fine Wine Consultant and Commercial Real Estate Appraisal. No luck yet, but I have lots of networking yet to accomplish.

Doc, have faith and courage. YOur job, like mine, is finding a new job. Thankfully, my wife has her high-pay executive job (which she hates!) and we can pay the bills, including such luxuries as sending our daughter to debate camps at three different universities this summer. That will pay off in scholarships down the road. Still, I have a few good years left in me and I am anxious to get to work. Good luck, and best wishes to your wife for a full recovery.

God bless,

Silver
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    Where do you want me to send the VIN # to?
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    My company was bought out yesterday. I will know next week if I have a job still. No one is safe man. This economy better pick up. :(
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    mrl859- send the info to lhbuilder@hotmail.com

I found out some production numbers for the 2002 model year,we built 37646 300M's and 9743 Specials.
    If you 'loan' me a bottle (either full or partially full) I'll replace it when I place an order, probably next week sometime.

If you, blonda, or mrl (or any other san diego people) need some zaino e-mail me at mritchi1@san.rr.com and let me know what you need. We'll be able to save on shipping if we combine stuff.
  • videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    Well, for those of you paying attention to my posts...probably not many :) I got the Dynomax muffler changed around the way it's supposed to be. Unfortunately, I wasn't there this time for the install and the muffler guy installed the tips about 1" farther out than I would have liked. They don't look bad but it bugs me. I'm pretty anal about this stuff. When I was there for the first install, I had them exactly the way I wanted. Oh well. I may get them fixed after the Cruise / Brampton tour, or maybe I'll just get used to them by then.

Here's a link for the exhaust photos. The 3 pictures starting with "2nd-Time" are the tips installed for the 2nd time.

http://www.fastforwardclub.com/300M/Dual-exhaust/

Secondly, I just finished the install of the aluminum dash kit. It was a combination of two different kits. One from Sherwood and the other from Woodview. The Sherwood kit I got off of Ebay from a guy who changed his mind. However, some of the parts like the ones that covered the factory trim didn't look right. But the other parts are very nice. I got the Woodview kit from dashesonline.com. It's parts fit perfectly over the factory trim and matched the look of the Sherwood kit exactly. So I used the Woodview parts to cover the factory trim. Here's some photos of it.

http://www.fastforwardclub.com/300M/interior/

I think for now I'm done with my mods (at least till after the Cruise / Brampton tour). I still have some intake stuff to do like the Air Charger, but I'm gonna wait till the funds replenish.

BTW, SDMike, it's great to hear your back to being a working class kinda guy. Dr Pixel, I'm sure you'll find something before your severance pay stops. Fuzzywuzzy, I hope your job still exists tomorrow.

-vman

• bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Very nice on both the exhaust and the aluminum interior mods. I look forward to seeing those mods up close and personal at the Cruise. I definitely want to talk to you about how the duals work out and sound before I try that. I don't have a lot of faith in the shops around here. See ya soon.
    They both look good, the aluminum looks good with your black interior (it would not in my light beige/camel interior). If you want to get the tips to your liking backup into a wall, but first pad the tips so they do not get scratched (just kidding).
    I usually work on the mods until about 4 hours before leaving on a meet trip. Testing is done on the way. :)
  • 300kam300kam Member Posts: 29
    sdmike, congradulation for your new job, can't image it need 7 months to find a job in San Diego. Glad you make it.

My tire question again: Have anybody put 255x45/18 on their M with 18x8.5 wheel. Tire dealer suggests me 255x45/18 over 245x45/18 because 255x45/18 is more common tire. I have over 18000 miles on my tires, it is time for me to start looking for alternatives.
  • urbanapurbanap Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have cost info on installing DTRL on an 02 300M ? Local dealer said he's never done one, but estimated around $125 to $150 based on $82 relay kit plus labor to install. This my second 300M. Had a 99 (Candy Apple Red) base model (no hole in roof or chrome wheels). I loved it and had no problems, but the lease ran out. At $16,000 (residual value) it was too expensive to purchase. With all the incentives it was less expensive to lease a new one (Bright Silver with all the toys). It was on the dealer's lot since last August (01) and he was anxious to unload it. Thanks for any assistance on the DTRL.

urbanap
  • rogor2krogor2k Member Posts: 385
    The DRL module just plugs into the fuse panel on the left side of the dash. Open the drivers door and pop off the end panel. You will find a socket there just waiting for the module to be plugged in. No actual "installation" involved, other than snapping it into place. Sounds like your dealer may be trying to fatten his wallet.
    This new device might replace those "knowledgable 5-STAR service" people? ;-)))))

"The human is the most complicated factor in the whole design," said Yu Teng, manager for Chrysler's Human Modeling Division. "Humans are nonpredictable in size, motion and behavior. Yet everything has to accommodate the human."

Full article here from the Detroit Free Press: http://www.auto.com/industry/soft9_20020809.htm

fastdriver

sweet dash kit! Looks almost like pearl instead of fake aluminum in the pictures.
  • 300kam300kam Member Posts: 29
    Or I should be more specific:
    Any comment on using 255x45/18 tire with 18x8.5 wheel on a 2001 M? Will rubbing occur? Thanks for any comments.
    You can get the module at http://www.oem-car-parts.com for just over $70. Go there, click on CHRYSLER, and do a search for OEM part number 4602229AC
    there's a whole thread on tires and wheels at http://pub88.ezboard.com/f300menthusiastsclubfrm6
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Tips look good. You'll get used to them being longer. Mine are about the same. I chose that location but at first had second thoughts thinking they stuck out too far, but now that I'm used to them I'm happy with my decision.

Dash kit looks nice too.
    If you can put in a fuse, you can put in the module. $43-$68 to replace an item as easy as a fuse, ridicules.
    Yes, you'll be able to see my mods up close and personal. So far I'm pretty happy with the decisions I've made. Even though the tips were expensive, I'm glad I got them. Even though the dash kit was a radical change, I'm glad I got it. Even though the spoiler isn't the exact one I wanted, I like it better now. Heck, even Taz on my clock face (my first mod) still looks good.

I can't wait to see everyone at the Cruise. I'll be meeting 2 other M'ers when they pass an exit near Pittsburgh so we'll have 3 M's crusing down the highway towards Dearborne.

-vman
    If was finishing my mods 4 hours before I left for the meet, I'd be working till 5 AM. Well, that ain't gonna happen :)

-vman
    Thanks for the compliment. Actually, you're right. It even has a pearl look up close although the lines going through make it look like aluminum. The reason I liked those particular kits is because of how much lacquer or whatever coating they put on them to give that clear thick look. Yes, they are fake aluminum, but I don't think it matters cause it looks so good.

-vman
    I hope you're right. I think I will get used to it the more I look at them. It just burns me that during the first install they were exactly the length I wanted them. I figured that the muffler guy would have kept them in the same place even though I wasn't there to watch over him. Ya just can't trust anyone nowadays :)

The good thing about them being out a little further is that now they are easier to clean and shine even more. I'll get other opinions at the meet. If they start pointing and laughing I'll be back at the muffler shop again.

-vman
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    pretty good production numbers on the 2002 M---how many were made in 2001 and 2000--wondering if production has increased over the years..
  • guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    they look GREAT!!! i have mine about the same. check em' out:

http://groups.msn.com/Racefan9s2000Chrysler300m/photoalbum1.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=24
    guesswho1-

Hey! How'd you post that LONG URL? I thought there was a limit here so that we wouldn't have to scroll from side to side? Inquiring minds want to know. ;-))

fastdriver
    they look fine---but do they stick out much beyond the bumper---you have to be careful when backing up not to hit them against a wall such as in parking garages etc. They attract even more attention when they stick out farther. Looking forward to doing mine some day soon with the same tips.
  • guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    well you see what i did was reset the the clock speed of my pentium 4 added around 4000 gigahertz of ram, installed a lithium.....hmmmm i don't have a clue, alls i did wuz copy and paster... :)
    guesswho1-

LOL... That's EXACTLY what I thought you did! ;-))

fastdriver
    the entire fleet of PT Cruisers are being recalled---will post more details as I learn them---now I guess its gonna be a wait to get service at my negative 2*. Wonder how much this will cost Chrysler. Wont help the company stock much.
    easyrider300m-

I thought everyone had heard about it by now. They recalled every PT made for a possible fuel leak.

http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0208/09/-558461.htm

fastdriver

http://www.auto.com/reuters/2002-08-09T180043Z_01_N0937.htm

Less than an hour to fix? Bet that doesn't happen.

fastdriver

So my 5* put in the plugs and got out the one messed up screw. Cost me a total of $66 including a $3 shop supplies charge and tax. Could not complain about the shop supplies charge since they did not charge for the time to take the screw out. I could not be happier with the dealer or his service. My advise to others who want to replace with Bosch plugs is "go to the dealer"
    Bob
    I bought the module and dealer installed for free. Should only take about 15 min or so.

Bob