Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Hopefully it takes more then 17" wheels to make a special. I would run my non-PHP aginist any special.:) As long as they keep the gears, exhaust, and Intake . to me that is more important.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    no the chrome 17 rims that the 03 Special uses are the same 17's that the 2002 M used . They look like S$@! on the Special
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    I have a 99 that's been the best car I've owned. Yeah I had that regulator problem, but it was fixed in two hours at the dealer, and they upgraded me to the new window motors, all four as well. The windows work fine, no noises, but ocassionally they weatherstrip still sticks. Use the windows every few days or so and that's not a problem. Just replaced the brakes at 50K and still had a little left. Tires at 45K and still had another 1/32 to go before they wouldn't pass inspection. Minor seat moving problem solved in 15 mins with new revised bolts, that I installed myself. All in all, not unheard of things on a car driven everyday. Those that are unheard of, are so minor they really pale in comparison to all the good things this car has to offer.

Don't get a Passat, get the M. You won't be disappointed.
    I too have had the window motors replaced, and that was the only time I had problems. The extended warranty and the Maintinance cost over 3.75 years has only been under $40.00. If all cars were like mine the service shops would be out of business. If mine is this good, it is hard to believe the newer ones are better. No flashing lights, tranny sensors or any other so called normal 99 problems.
  • wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    I looked at the site and you're right, they're a direct replacement for halogens lamps, i. e. no mods required.
    I still have to concur with the last FAQ which asks "is HID legal" and the answer posted is "...please check with your local authorities on questions of legality when purchasing...

FWIW, I'm not trying to be a wet blanket on this project, actually I think it's great that you've arranged a super deal for members to enjoy the benefits of HIDs. I'd just hate to hear of any negative repercussions afterwards, slight as the possibility may be.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    here in houston you can get mobil 1 synthetic changes for $28 at walmart. dino is under 20
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    uxca300m-

Man oh man!! See what happens when you ASSUME!! It's all your fault for not asking the right questions. Must be harder to open synthetic oil cans, thus the higher labor charge! Like I said- WHAT will they surprise you with next?

Christine II??? How soon we forget? beach15 had Christine II. I know you meant to say Christine III! ;-))

fastdriver

PS I THINK the "priest" left the priesthood AFTER doing the exorcism on Christine! ;-))
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    clpurnell - are you saying that Wal-Mart charges $28 for 5 quarts of oil a filter and labor. Or is the $28 just a labor charge? Mobil 1 costs just under $5 dollars a quart and a Mobil 1 filter about 10 bucks at Wal-Mart. I will have to check this out!

Sounds like a good deal if I could stomach sitting around Wal-Mart - and the culture shock - while they change my oil;)
    Not taken that way. You poised some good questions and gave me food for thought. I don't expect everyone to rubber stamp everything on the board. These are not for everyone. But we will agree that after checking out the pros and cons, along with the legalilitys, each person must make up their own minds. It is nice to have choices though.
    Maybe it's just me, but Jiffy Lube and Wal-mart are the last places I want to take a fine car like a 300M for service. Change your own oil, save money, make sure it's done right, etc. :D
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    I haven't found 1 HID bulb retrofit kit yet that is DOT approved.
    The only retrofits I know that are DOT approved are the Sylvania XENARC retrofit systems where you get a compete headlight and bulb assembly.

If a bulb is DOT approved it will be clearly labeled. If the maker waffles about it then it isn't.
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    Well, I can safely say that where I live the authorities have better things to do than bust people for having improperly installed or aimed HID's. I don't have to worry about car inspections like some states do. Anyways, my brother-in-law and two of my friends are local cops. They said they wouldn't pull over someone for having HID's unless they were aimed directly at the oncoming driver and even that would be near impossible to prove. They agreed that a driver would more likely get pulled over for having too dark of tint on their windows. So I guess I don't understand where the illegal thing comes in when it comes to HID's. Nearly all near luxury and luxury cars come with them now as standard or package options, and I can definitly say I've entered encountered factory installed HID's that had questionable correct aim or reflection. Is this more of an issue in Canada? (wire2)
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    I agree! - I was just suprised that someone stated that Wal-Mart charged only $28 dollars for a Mobil 1 oil change, considering the retail price for the oil and filter. Most places charge about $50 to strip the threads out of your drain plug and fill your motor with Mobil 1;)
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Doh! Another senior moment. And I even have them on my car LOL.

Silver
    The past two weeks I have been helping my Mom-in-law with a problem she has with her Mercury Sable. It's old but very low mileage. The dealer she uses is Bankston L-M in Dallas (recently sold to AutoNation). The personnel there are so courteous and genuinely trying to help, treating this as a warranty issue until proven otherwise. (She spent $1,000+ a year ago on the car). They "could not duplicate" the problem, but instead of blowing me off they installed a trouble-logging computer that will allow me to push a button when the problem occurs to capture info on status of various systems. The dealer not only gave me a ride home, they picked me up at home so I could pick up the car. It was washed and clean.

I'm not saying my 5* is unsatisfactory, but a little more of that kind of proactive attitude would make me feel more like a valued customer. Carl Sewell is a famous local dealer for many different makes (Lexus, Infinity, GM, etc.)and he wrote a book called "Customers for Life". Sewell has a reputation for going the extra mile to help customers with problems. People pay a premium for their cars, but have a secure feeling about after-sale service.

Silver
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    How much is the light retrofit kit? I thought I saw data like it was hundreds per side. If they're not replacing the whole assembly how can anyone justify charging that kind of money for a bulb and ballast?
    Box on the way. I'll email you the information when I get home later tonight.
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    I echo sdmikes's sentiments here. I think the price of these kits is outrageous! HID technology is not new; it's been used for years in overseas markets and more recently here. Spending hundreds of dollars on a bulb and ballast borders on insanity IMO!
    DOT approval means the lights have been tested and conform to the lighting standards in the U.S. so they are legal for use here. Will the cops bust you for having non DOT compliant lights? Probably not, at least not yet anyway.

In case you aren't aware of it, NHTSA has been drowned by complaints about glare from all the various lights being use on vehicles. Fog, auxiliary and HID. They've been taking public statements by mail and internet for several months and will be holding hearing on this subject shortly.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/glare.html

Don't be surprised if there are changes in the lighting laws as a result. One obvious one may be making sales of non-conforming aftermarket lighting illegal.

I'm hoping they'll change the outdated lighting standards but this is the U.S. Government we're talking about so I don't hold out much hope.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I had a '99. Leased it for 3 years.

the engine speed sensors failed twice but it was an easy fix under warranty. Even without warrany it would be pretty inexpensive.

Also my A/C started acting up right before the lease ended. Probably there was a leak somewhere. I just refilled the A/C refrigerant a few times, did not feel like taking it to the dealer to find and fix the leak.

Other than that - no problems.

Unlike my current Honda-based product that required a complete transmission replacement after 6,100 miles, which took a couple of weeks to complete during which time I enjoyed the "loaner" rental Dodge Stratus.
  • videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    Maybe I'm alone on this one, but I hate when a car is coming at me with HIDs. They might be great for the driver's view but they're quite an annoyance to everyone else. I wish they would either get rid of them, or make them automatically dim or something when they see oncoming cars.

Needless to say, I won't be one of the 20 who will be retro fitting their Ms with HIDs.

-vman......squinting at night
    >...luxury cars come with them now as standard or package options...

OEM headlight assemblies will have DOT approval so no issue. 300 Specials are definitely legal.

>Is this more of an issue in Canada? (wire2)

Probably not. Although I have seen the local police stop a car with the HID wannabees that go blue to green to orange as they pass. He was given 48 hours to replace them or face a ticket for non-white lights.
    The most likely scenario of a problem would be after a serious accident, when cars involved are gone over with a fine tooth comb.
    fedlawman-

How's the new car holding up? Do you like it?

drpixel-

Been thinking of you and the Mrs. How are you? Hope things are improving for both of you.

sdmike2-

How's the new job? As good as the old one? WHAT in the world are they SMOKING out there? Did I hear of ANOTHER kid that was kidnapped out there? Man, this is nuts!

fastdriver
  • toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    If the RetroFit does not include the correct projector relectors and lenses (especially designed for HID bulbs) then the retrofit is bogus.

If folks are not concerned about the legality of throwing HID bulbs inside inappropriate housings, then they should at least be concerned about blinding other drivers. Even if the chances of you being "caught" are slim, the chances of you causing an accident are pretty good.

Check out this site: http://lighting.mbz.org/

Dan Stern shines some common sense about automotive lighting.

This is just my 2 cents....not trying to rain on anyone's parade......

:)

Stop by and see us. http://www.300mclub.org/chat.htm

I agree that $340 dollars is high for a HID set of bulbs, ballasts, Harnesses, starters, and such. I also agree that $1500 is high for a set of HID headlamps for the 300M too.
    The NHTSA light inquriy is about several lighting systems amoung them are HID, Xenon, colored, Aux driving/fog, and light bars. Any lights not properly aimed can cause real hazards to oncomming drivers. If this passes all after market specialty bulbs will pretty much be out lawed. Of course they do not mention the fire hazzards caused by using 80-100w bulbs in 55w circuts. Each system poses it own benifits as well as it own hazzards. It is funny we are saddled with our out dated DOT rules. Although I should be glad we finally got rid of the old round sealed beams. We are allowed to drive at 75 mph but our lights can not begin to shine far enough in front of us to warn us of any dangers until we are well past the point of being able to stop our vehicle. They light up just enough to see what you are hitting doing 30mph while you are hitting the brakes, and doing a lot of praying.
    Housing If the arc placement is in the same exact location as the filament in a halagen bulb the light pattern will be the same in both. HID in any housing are safer due to their lower operating tempature. The Light (Blueish) can be a problem, especially if not aimed correctly. Personally I would like them for the Hi Beams so when desert driving at night (very few drivers on our divided interstates) to see what is way up ahead. Maybe DOT will regulate a yellow tint HID system, to correct the glare problem.
    I have been testing a couple of bulbs One a 100w H3 for the fog lamps, to see what happens (heat wise) to the assembly. 10 hours stright so far no problems. I will make a 15 hour test run next week. I have been doing the same with 80w bulbs in the Lo beam side of the head lamp assembly. I do both tests together using a battery charger as a power source. I did take some test patterns off an 300M, Concorde, LHS, and Intrepid to see the differances. Actually the projector type on the LHS was the worst pattern IMHO. More of a spot then a fan pattern.
    The abduction is likely drug related according to authorities. Still feel bad for the kid though. They can't choose their parents.
    I'm with you on this. The DOT standards are woefully outdated and need revision. Europe has been way ahead of the curve on this and are the standards that should be adopted IMHO.

After reading the link toms99 provided I'm doubtful of the Eaglite HID retrofit. Keep in mind this is the same outfit making those "bad" blue bulbs. It's been noted here already that the Eaglites have a tendency towards early death so a concern about quality is in order.

The big gotcha, as I see it, in HID retrofit to lights made for halogens is control of glare. The reflectors just aren't designed to contain the glare causing component of HID's.

I also erred in saying DOT "approved" earlier since DOT doesn't approve anything but set's performance standards. The term compliant is more correct.
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    I read an article months ago stating that a lot of the HID problem comes from the tendancy for people to naturally want to look directly at the HID headlights due to the unique color and different brightness. It was also noted that the same problem existed when Halogen bulbs came out years ago. The Halogen was different and brighter than the old sealed beam lamps, so people complained that it was blinding them as well. When in most cases people where just naturally looking into the lamps rather than the road ahead. I've caught myself doing it. The problem is, once you do look into the light it creates that halo effect when you look away at the road ahead. Which in turn, makes it hard to see.
    I think that HID's will become more regulated, but not eliminated. Too many car manufacturers have spent a lot of money on these already, hence there will be too much lobbying out there for the government to get rid of them. (except maybe some local gov'ts)
    I personally think they're wonderful. Since Halogen bulbs are still around after years of people complaining of them, I'm sure HID's are here to stay as well.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    that aftermarket kit for HID lights is not worth the risk, effort or expense (in my humble opinion). The factory HID would be fine but way too expensive. The factory base headlight setup in my opinion is more than adequate in most situations. The 300M and LH cars are among the brightest of standard lighting system I have seen. My last car, the 93 Mark VIII, had the poorest lighting of any car I have owned.

I wouldnt alter the bulbs or lighting setup of the LH cars unless you want to do the full conversion to factory oem HIDs. Using HID bulbs in the standard reflector setup is inviting problems with glare as well as possibly failing vehicle inspection. But that is just my opinion. I would be curious to see results of the conversions mentioned. But I myself do not see the need to convert.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    You are not alone on this one! I'm all for improved night vision, but they need to make it safe for everyone. If we all start using them, we will have brightly lit roads that no one can see because of the glare of on-coming headlights.

Hopefully they can work on standardizing windshields with processes to eliminate the glare. I have little knowledge in this area, but if they can create sunglasses that eliminate glare without eliminating natural daylight, they should be able to do the same with windshields.

Personally, I've never had a problem seeing the road with standard headlights when driving at 75 mph at night. And, after 40 years of driving, my eyes ain't what they used to be!
    I think HID is the future of auto lighting just like LED lamps will replace conventional bulbs in the very near future. Less heat, less power consumption in both cases.

The issue most of us are talking about isn't the OEM, approved lighting. It's the aftermarket bench engineered retrofit kits that might do more harm than good if installed.
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    I remember when I was a senior in high school (1975) and a car nut. Me and a buddy wanted to sneak a peek at the 76 Caddy's, and went up to the north Dallas dealer, where they wouldn't give us the time of day. Then we headed to Sewell, where we not only were welcomed, but were also invited to an "invitation only" preview of the new cars. That really stuck with me. Over the years, my dad bought three Caddy's from him and my sister bought 4. A lot of dealers could learn a lot from Sewell. We now return you to your original topic.
    I know what you mean. When I was in my first year of college (for computer programming) I was interested in the Buick Regal Grand National. I went to a local dealer who though I was just a young punk with no money I guess. Well, he started patronizing me saying "There's a sophisticated computer system in there. Do you know what a computer is?" It sounded much more degrading than reading it here, but be well assured, the guy was treating me like a 2 year old.

Well, that inncodent has stuck with me all these years and even though I'm sure the salesman doesn't work there any more, I will never ever ever ever ever buy a car from that dealer.

-vman
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Thanks for remembering me (I read up here every day or two (so I don't fall behind).

My LTD just passed 2000 miles and I still love it. It is stylish, the trunk is CAVERNOUS, and it cruises very comfortably (I still think it has one of the most attractive cockpits of any car on the road). The engine in smooth and peppy, although I think it would benefit from variable valve timing, as it is pretty gutless in the bottom half of the rev range.

I've decided to tolerate the stereo and unfortuantely, I collected a few scratches and dings on the trunk lid when the tech installed the covert siren and strobes. Otherwise, it is flawless.

I do have a short list of issues that I'll bring to the dealer when I get the oil changed at 3000 miles:

* Driver door speaker grill buzzes.
    * Rear passenger side door panel buzzes on textured roads (only 1st thing in the AM for about 10 minutes).
    * Drivetrain has a slight vibration felt in the gas pedal when loping below 1800 RPM.

Overall, it is a wonderful car that offers the performance, style, and comfort of imports costing thousands more. I would be pleased to own one myself.
    fedlawman-

Glad it's treating you ok. Not sure what they can do about the buzzing door. They've had that problem since 1999. They'll probably change the setup in 2004 when the new models come out. I think the US Govt. has a lot of these cars because of their size. I sometimes see them on the news when they show cars going in and out of the White House. What else falls into this size category- Ford/Mercury? That wouldn't do with their gas tank problems.

"I collected a few scratches and dings on the trunk lid when the tech installed the covert siren and strobes. Otherwise, it is flawless."

I would have slapped the cuffs on him so fast!! ;-)))

Man, WHO ever said that Japanese cars were reliable??? After ONLY 18 months and 18,000 miles, I have my first problem- a water leak on the passenger door side, wetting the cloth on the speaker from the bottom up- about 1/2 inch! We have had no rain for months, but today we got it all at once! ;-)) It poured buckets!

I immediately drove to the dealer to have them check it out. They took it right in and looked at it. Since it was close to 4:30 PM, they said that they would need it for a day or so to see exactly where the water is coming from. They ruled out the drain for the moonroof. Since I'm going away for the long weekend, I told them that I would call them next week to make an appointment. They said that they would give me a new Acura-TL to drive. ;-((( Bet it won't even be an S type! Imagine. Everyone thinks these cars are so reliable. Mmmm.... seems more like "perceived" reliability to me!

Have a safe weekend.

fastdriver
  • no1trustno1trust Member Posts: 151
    Where's the satellite radio hump? A leftover 2002 would probably be a better deal.
    Here's another reason why it's nice to have a trunk that will hold 4 sets of golf clubs.

http://www.playboyscramble.com

-vman

• ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    there is very little difference in the 2003's, ok the chrome tips are gone -sorry . As for satellite radio , well we have only built a few 300's with it.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Unfortunately, the 2002's have a trunk release INSIDE the trunk too...
    Your story caused a strong flashback of my own car nut adolescence years. I have a picture of me sitting in a display at an Auto Show in Houston. The sign says "Picture yourself sitting in the new 1959 Dodge" I am sitting in the swiveling front seat they offered. (When you opened the door, the seat swiveled to the outside to ease entry and exit. At a grand formal event in Detroit the wife of the Chairman of Chrysler was sitting in the middle of the front seat of a Chrysler Imperial. As they arrived at the front entrance, two doormen simultaneously opened the front doors, dumping her on the floorboards. The option was discontinued) Any way there are two bimbos in short shorts running the display, and upon showing the pictures to some of my friends (who would know) they told me they were prostitutes from Sealy, TX. The wild, wild west.
    ;>)

Silver
    BlueBaron here,
    I see Daniel Sterns name has made it to the list. He's grumbled over many of the lighting mods I've done to my car over the years. But also helped me with some. He is the one who recommended the Daytona stock fog lights for my reverse lights.

Anyway, I wanted to share what I know about HID conversion systems. I emailed a company once, about such a kit. They were kind enough to go as far as measuring how far the "arc" of the bulb is from the mount. Result is, the "arc" is in the position of the "high" filament of a standard H4 bulb. That means it wasn't going to work for me. I suggest someone asks how they compare to the standard bulbs for the 300M as well.
    BlueBaron here,
    You mentioned making a glare reducing windsheild like they do sunglasses. This was done back in the 1950 or so. They polarized the headlight lens one direction, and the windshield of another car, in the opposite direction. Anyone with a digital watch and polarized sunglasses can tell you what happens. The display on your watch goes black due to the opposing polarities. In the case of the headlights, they look like they have a strong tint on them. They still light up a bit, but are very dark.

Why did they drop this idea? Mainly cost. But also, as you may imagine, it was very distracting, moreso than a set of HIDs coming toward you in a sea of Halogen.
  • david53david53 Member Posts: 11
    Can anyone recommend some reasonably priced replacement tires for my 2000 300M? I've looked around a bit, and there doesn't seem to be much available for P225 R55 17 wheels. The best deal I've found is a "buy 3, get 1 free" offer for Eagle LS's, but I was hoping to find a bit better tire for about the same price. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    If your M has the performance handling group, the speed is not limited to 118 mph, and you should probably get "V" or better rated tires. One reasonably priced V tire is the Yokohama YK420, about $120 at Discount Tire. Check out tirerack.com and discounttire.com for other available tires. Here's group of threads about tires on the Club's message board: http://pub88.ezboard.com/f300menthusiastsclubfrm6
  • rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    I have these on myn 2000M and love them. Discount Tire had them for $ 90.00 around 2 months ago. They are quieter and better handling. Highly recommend them.
    Rick/Geezer300M