Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I think they became available around the February to April time period. I have yet to see one on the road, but looking through some online inventories, there seems to be a ton left on the lots.

If they'd just offer the car with PHP, then it would be really, really nice!
  • ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    I should add then when I had the goodyears I didnt have the problem, as soon as I switched them, I had the problem... I think its the rims too...
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Mine loose a little are but I am running between 41-43 pounds. My goodyear LS tires were never a problem except for the lack of traction on dry and wet roads.
    Neat site one problem Washington DC is always in the dark I wonder why???? :)
    How far in advance do they notify you for signing up?
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    ....are typically as close to a perfect balance as you can get, since they're machined perfectly round on a lathe after casting. At the plant, we find that the hole for the valve creates a "light"
    spot, and that amounts to a fraction of an ounce.

This would be true for aluminum wheels that are machined from forged billet aluminum stock, our wheels are cast aluminum and thus can have porosity and void defects internally to the rim, which could cause a wheel to be difficult to balance. Forged aluminum wheels are also lighter and stonger than cast aluminum.
    Do you know what the Kelvin (5200K, 6000K, 7000K, or 7500K)rating on the HID bulbs is? I would like to get a kit that compares to it in color for comparison tests. If you know what the Lumns are that would help too. (3200, 3000, 2800 or 2400)
    would not the valve stem assembly (some are made of stainles steel) help make up for the lost alumninum from drilling the hole?
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    According to Sylvania:

D2S: Lumens 3200 Temp(K) 4250
    D2R: Lumens 2800 Temp(K) 4150

I can't remember which of the two isn't shielded, but that's the one the project beam uses.
  • avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    whatcha been up to? Did you sell the M? Hows the new ride? What mods have you done on the NSX? Any pics? So where ya been hidin'

EZ
    Good to see you back, actually easy already asked most of the questions. Don't stay away so long next time.
    PS not a good place to park the M.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    av-

Welcome back!! How are you? Any NEW pics of the NSX that most likely doesn't look like an NSX anymore? ;-)) Is the modded 300M gone?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Almost 20,000 miles on my CL-S. Still waiting for something to break, fall off, leak or stop working! Nothing yet! So damn boring. This "perceived reliability" is for the birds. At least Christine kept my blood pressure up and my phone bill with calls to Auburn Hills. Oh well. Live and learn.

fastdriver
    Thanks for the information. The R has the shild on top to restrict the light on non-projection lamps, or the cars have the caps over the lamp (as the 300M's do). I thought the stock lamps would have a higher kelvin tempature.
    Yeah I thought the same thing considering how much whiter the output appears to be compared to a halogen.

Since SMPTE "white" is 6500K, I would have expected something at or above that.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    First and foremost, a hearty welcome back to Av. Hope you are well. We have really missed you and hope that you are not just making a guest shot. With you gone and SDMike pretty much out of the loop here, it has been less entertaining and informative. Stay around and update us. In any event, you got to make it to the Dream Cruise next August, no matter what your ride is by then.

Second, on the Pro-Am. Have never seen one here in KY. Maybe that program would have worked better if they gave you the car for buying the clubs instead of vice versa?? Anyway, the color is great.
  • wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    >... thus can have porosity and void defects ..
    could cause a wheel to be difficult to balance ..

Yes, those possibilities exist but are unlikely. After machining they're inspected and any wheels with visible porosity are melted again. I was speaking from experience in our tire/wheel room at the plant. Wheels come to us with yellow stickers on the rim indicating the light spot, and virtually all of them are at the hole. We've spun wheels (only) on a balancer and they're usually close to perfect. Incidentally, tires have the same sticker but it's located at the heavy spot. After mounting a tire on a wheel, it goes to a "match marker" which holds the tire stationary and turns the wheel until a camera sees the 2 stickers adjacent. That allows the least amount of weights to be used.

>Forged aluminum wheels are also lighter and stronger ...

... you left out expensive :o)

>would not the valve stem assembly ... help make up for the lost aluminum from drilling the hole?

Yes, and the pressure transponder adds an insignificant bit more.

According to Sylvania:
    D2S: Lumens 3200 Temp(K) 4250
    D2R: Lumens 2800 Temp(K) 4150

Not sure if it's different, but the Special uses D1S.
    My '95 Stealth (with 18" $1200 CDN each, wheels) was losing air slowly. I "cured" it by injecting ½ tin of tire seal into each tire, then driving it for a few miles to distribute it.

While looking for a temp listing for a D1S lamp, I found under http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/hidfaq.htm the statement;

"To operate properly, HID light sources must be used in specially designed optical systems. Since HID bulbs produce so much more light than halogen bulbs, if you replace halogen bulbs with HID you will generate an illegal beam pattern."

thanks for the welcomes guys, i really missed this board. well bad news is i sold the nsx awhile ago, it just wasnt....it didnt flow well with driving it to college and stuff. it got keyed more times than i can count, and it was NOT fun to repair. not cheap either, so i said the heck with it and sold it. ive been riding around in a surburban and a motorcycle for awhile now. the deal i had worked out with the buyer for the 300m (monthly payments and if missed more than 4 deal was off) it feel through. so i payed the rest back and bought the car back :) here i sit again with the glorious 300m. afraid the guy beat it up pretty bad though, interior, leather, window motors, its all busted up. the poor thing :(

so i dont know what im gonna do yet, keep it or fix and sell. but either way its good to "see" some familiar faces. hows everyone been?

Oh yea, im in kentucky now, lexington right by UK campus, anywhere up this way?
    ps. the train tracks were closed ;)
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    avalanche165,glad to hear from you.Welcome HOME.
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    Welcome back!
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Welcome back, Av! Sorry about the car deal(s). My daughter was on the UK campus this summer for a debate camp. Hope you like it. Are you a Junior now?

Silver
    Hey AV-- I am just up the Bluegrass Parkway about 70 miles in Elizabethtown. If you get up this way give me a holler and maybe we can get together. Sorry to hear about the abuse of both the NSX and that wonderful M. Well, if you decided to "part it out" I bet there are ten on this site who would want that hood!! Are you just there for the school year or have you made a permanent move from MD?

Now all we have to do is get Phases back on line. Haven't heard much from him since he got back from Afghanistan. He's probably out of the Army now. Anyone know or hear?
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    If the last LH cars are coming off the line the 1st week of February/03 and the 2004 300N will be available in December/03, apparently there will be no 300's available for several months. Is this true? My lease is up 7/4/03 and I was hoping that getting a 2003 M was an option....it's hard to believe they would leave a gap of several months and lose potential sales!

Also, I was wondering if anyone else had this problem -- a fine split has developed on the passenger side of the dash of my 2000 M about 1 and 1/2 inches long -- probably from the summer heat. Is there any way of fixing it with some sort of filler? Maybe it's covered by warranty?
  • ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    I have one too ! It started a couple of months ago, and is now 3 inches long ! Its the seam where the airbag comes out... I have to take it in when I get a chance, hope you donthave to buy a new dash :(
    I agree the HID can through the pattern off if the arc capsule is not located right. I have seen a lot of kits that "require some modifications" or supply adaptor rings. These are mounted on actual lamp bases. I have ordered the kit and should have it within the week. Since I have to take off the bumper I will do the turn signal lens and the lamps and a few other projects all at the same time. I expect it should be done in about two weeks (I figure it will take a few days to do it all. I will post pictures of the finished results. I like the stock (headlamp) version then the Special so I will give it a go.
    a few sites mention to take off the lenses easly put them in a preheated 400 deg oven for 15 minuets. If you do the lenses will bubble up. Neat effect but very impractable for use. I will try some different combos to be able to take the headlamps apart.
    Really sorry to hear about both your NSX, and the M. It is a real shame that they didn't respect all the time and money you poured into that car.
    I urge you to keep it (due to the fights for the parts it would cause) to help keep the club together. Welcome Back
    I'm off this week but next week I'll try to contact our Valeo-Sylvania rep and ask him if there's an easy way to disassemble a headlight. I believe the sealant in the seam is a 2 part silicone, so heat probably won't affect it.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Great to see you back!!! I can't believe the moron you sold it to did such damage...what an idiot. Sorry to hear about the NSX too.

I can't remember when we all last heard from you, but back in the end of March, we departed with the M if you didn't know, and got, well an "Avalanche". I've gotten some very nice comments on it from M'ers on the board (right, guys...), and all is well once again.

One thing I remember is that we never got to see any of the interior after you re-did it. We saw some newly molded parts, but a few nice interior pics would be great!

Once again, welcome back! I understand the being busy with school!
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    I'd like to hear from the fellas that recently posted that they had just bought new Yokohama YK420s for their 300Ms. Are you also experiencing this air loss problem? Got the wife ready to dump the BadYears (2 w/ 5K and 2 w/ 19K) for a set of the YK420s. But, if the improved ride is offset by tire pressure maintenance problems, I may not want to go there or I may have some preliminary discussions with my local Discount Tire Store concerning a positive seal.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    "If the last LH cars are coming off the line the 1st week of February/03 and the 2004 300N will be available in December/03, apparently there will be no 300's available for several months. Is this true?"

Who said the last LH cars are done in Feb? . The last 03 will be done in Feb , then we build 04 LH cars (300M, Concorde and Trep)till Aug 03 . Then we retool for the Jan 04 launch of the all new 2004.5 LX cars (300N)
    I have tested the heat treatment on some fog lamps and it works, unless the headlamps use a different sealent. I need to scrape off some of the silver coating from the inside so that the turnsignal will function. and the hood on the top my need to be extened to prevent glare. By the way can the bulbs be painted (HID) so as to make a 2R bulb out of an standard HID bulb. By painting the top, it would make it easer then extending the hood.
    phases is back home and doing well. he got a hayabusa (motorcycle) and wrecked it a few days ago. still recovering, no broken limbs i dont believe but lots of skin rash. i chat with him on aim just about everyday, only 3 hours from me now. Mike Edmonds are you still on here? long time no talk brotha. hope all is well. he really helped me out through the whole 911 crisis. anyway i'll get some pics to ya guys here soon. and might consider making some replica's of my hood for cheap cheap cheap lol. take care fella's.
  • rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    I've had mine on for 7k now and have had very little air pressure loss. Couple pounds per month. You just need to check them every month. No biggie. They are wearing great and what a difference in ride and noise. I'm anxious for the winter driving to see how they are in snow. Anything would be better than the Badyears.
    Geezer300M
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    rstilp - make sure it's not just the weather - it is getting colder ;)

I've had them for about 1-2 months. I've had practically no drop in pressure over that period, taking into account weather (a 40 degree difference can be almost 10lbs of pressure - forget the equation, but... ;) Some minor differences since it's been getting substantially colder, but very small. Actually, they've been holding air much better than the MXV4+s I used to have.

They are also a heck of a lot quieter than the old tires. That I love.

Av - welcome back :) You'll get that M into shape in no time!
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Haven't noticed any air loss in my two weeks. I have the Pressure Indicator Valve caps.

Used them in light snow and ice this week. No problem.
    Can't remember who, maybe 300Michael, Dustin,or one of the guys who has gone to another brand of car now, but a couple of guys had this problem a couple of years ago by my recollection, and had it resolved under the warranty. There is no way that the dash should split; hell, I've had cars go 9-12 years without that happening. Now maybe the Arizona, Sacramento, or Hawaiian sun might do some damage, but not most places, and not if you treat the vinyl every now and then with Armor- all or a Zaino product. I do that, and also got a fitted dash mat from Autozone, and sunshields to use in the hot afternoon summer sun. Mine is 4+ years old now and no problems... knock on plastic.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    ajpiii...

Please let me know how you make out with the repair -- if it it an airbag seam, it should definitely be covered by warranty (assuming you are still covered). I was afraid the dealer might suggest that the split was caused by a sharp object (or something else my fault) and not covered by warranty...

ottowrkr...

Thanks for the info! I misunderstood your previous posts -- I thought the 2003 was the last M and would be "replaced" by the 2004 N in December. This is good news as it increases my options when my lease expires in July/03....
    >... can the bulbs be painted (HID)?
    Probably, but where will you get the special paint?
    Halogen and HID use fused quartz rather than glass for the envelope to take the high temperatures, so any coating applied would also have to have a high temp rating.
    I think the only difference between them is that on the D1 the ignitor is on the base and on a D2 the ignitor is on the ballast. I believe the actual bulb itself is the same.

Here a link to a Sylvania/Osram spec sheet:
    http://www.nuconverter.de/assets/1/d1sd1r.pdf
    had a seperate starter. The newer ones have it all ecased with the ballists. I should have the kit early next week and will teste it on my extra 300M lamp assembly to test for conformity and light pattern.
    Actually my dash is as good as the day I purchased it. No wear and is still soft and forgiving. I know they do have vinal repair kits out there and should work good, except for the air bag seams. I am still love'n and keep'n my 300M.
    What's happening? Kind of like the Day the Earth stood still.
    I hope everone had a safe and fun Halloween.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    After two weeks in the body shop, my M is coming home. Won't miss the rental Sable too much (at all).

The guy at the shop said it looked great. A lot of compliments on the Platinum Metallic paint as it sparkles in the bright autumn sun. I hope it looks "good as new..."

A letter was sent to the parents of children on the bus that hit me. It stated that the bus had backed into (over, actually!) a car and that no one was hurt(the most important fact, of course) and that there WAS MINIMAL DAMAGE TO THE BUS! Yeah, just some Platinum paint on the back/bottom of the bumper!!! No mention of my car. Nice.

A few years ago, this little accident would have destroyed me. No more, just a minor pothole in the road of life. I love it, but it's just a car (man, I must be getting old...).

Best wishes to all the good folks on this board, even those who drive Acuras!!! ;-)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    laurasdada-

LOL....... Hope your baby is as good as new! That's a real hard color to match. You know, you could have had it painted yellow! ;-)))

Got a message from you know who- they miss me!!

fastdriver
    Autoweek has an article on the cars Chrysler is working on for the SEMA show. Of course it is a 2.4L 250hp Stratus and a 300hp PT Cruiser. It is going to soon me the 300M will be the slowest car in the Chrysler lineup. I always thought the old 300's were susposed to be the fastest in the lineup. Lost in the shuffle again. Autoworker are you seeing any of these (27) vehicles? Have you heard of the VXT Group (Chrysler's Vehicle Excitement Team) Sounds simular to the PVO team, that makes the SRT-4 Neon. Even the Neon is speed limited to 148mph. And they can't make a 300hp 300M?????????????
  • chris6767chris6767 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 2000 300M and was wondering what people thought of getting extended warranty. The car so far hasn't had any problems.

Thanks for the input.