Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• psterpster Member Posts: 293
    My 5* (I use that term loosely) "former" dealer was going to charge me $1200 to fix a leak in the A/C evaporator which required removing and replacing the dash. Envisioning creaks and moans and rattles and the like, I refused. I fixed the leak myself using a $12.00 can of A/C leak repair fluid/gas. I did file a complaint with Chrysler.

I really love my 300M. But.....I have come to believe that Chrysler has chosen to invest heavily in design over longevity. I know, I know, every car breaks down....but I refuse to believe that 3 window motors, 2 speed sensors, a leaking evaporator, and now faulty bearings in an idle pully should fail between 20K and 50K miles. I can find no fault in Chryslers designs or build quality - they are vastly better than 10 years ago. But something is wrong on the parts/mechanical side of the product(s).

I think you said the car in question was a new PT Cruiser? If so, I would be furious beyond belief. There just isn't much worse than a terrible new car experience and thinking you paid that much money for a failed machine. Lemon Laws are extremely hard to collect or win under as they are underwritten to a large extent by lobbyists and auto companies. You have to go to war to win.
    otto, I think you found what I did wrong. Yes, I probably misstated the negative as the positive. I did notice that there was some tape wrapped around the "positive" cable which I thought maybe was covering up some type of connector that would have allowed me to then easily remove the battery. I worked at removing the tape for about 10 minutes (it was goo) and gave up. Was there a pin type connector underneath? I am humbled....
  • yositoyosito Member Posts: 55
    I don´t think those Chrysler products are so bad, DEALERS are the ones who made them bad, their service practices are terrible, so is CHRYSLER´s customer service, plus those service reps. working for DC are also arrogant!
    5 STAR DEALER program from Chrysler is a FRAUD, managers should be MORE involved in CUSTOMER SATISFACTION, and not losing time filling in forms for the 5 star program.
    If 5 star program was created for the customer satisfaction, MANAGERS should see for the CUSTOMER SATISFACTION!
    Not even the mechanics at the shop know what they are doing, they are not happy with their work.
    If you could just see how the first dealer delivered me the car after they replaced the harness, PCM etc.etc.. of my car...
    They forgot to place the harness well, a lot of screws were missing, even the battery was not tightened, some fuses were missing, so when we took out the car from the shop, we saw that the power mirrors, wipers, stop lamp were not working, they even forgot to install the A/C Belt!!
    So I can´t blame the car at all, I do blame CHRYSLER and those NASTY FIVE STAR DEALERS!!
    I left one "five star" dealer and now use a Dodge dealer down the street that does a very good job and they go out of their way to make me happy. I do agree that some of the dealers spend way too much time filling out paperwork to get their 5 stars. My old dealer kept saying "you will be getting a questionaire in the mail and we would appreciate a good rating". They said this at every opportunity! What they never said was "we're sorry for the problem and trust that we fixed it correctly". I agree, they were TOTALLY focused on the rating and not my problem! I think Chrysler has probably caused this by putting too much emphasis on the ratings. Come to think of it, has anyone heard of a dealer losing his 5 Star rating? I haven't.

Chrysler's designs are dead solid perfect. Their build qulity is superb. Some dealers suck, others are very good. But a mechanical component is emotionless and not subject to ratings reviews. It either works within its operating range and life, or it fails. I have had too many pure out- and-out "parts failures".
  • jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    I just replaced the OEM battery on my 4+ yr old Gr Caravan as a precaution. The "sudden death syndrome" is fairly common with all maint-free batteries (unlike the old conventionals which died slowly). If you check into it, most all OEM batteries are marginal (low cold cranking amps & reserve capacity) compared to even mid-line aftermarket ones. Anything to save the carmaker a pound or two of weight & a buck or two per car.

Yosito- I truly hope you find a decent dealer because they do exist. Unfortunately the bad seem to outnumber the good no matter what brand of car they sell. From my own experience I can tell you this "hands-off the dealer" approach is NOT unique to Chrysler. Sometimes a day in small-claims court with a bad dealer can be time well-spent (if only for your own satisfaction of telling your story to a judge!).

Indydriver- I have heard a similar tale from others regarding the old Plainfield dealership. Sad to see them sell out. I have had reasonable luck with the other 96th St Chrysler dealer (except for the body shop) as well as the other 96th St Dodge dealer. I also had great service from Shadeland Dodge, but the drive got to be a hassle with the east side highway construction.

Happy New Year to All !!!!

Jon
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    AAAGGHHH!
    I was just getting over the nightmares!
    I dreampt about trying to remember the position of all my wheel weights...on my winter wheels too!
    All the time I was being watched by a 300 lb woman eating a box of Krispy Kremes, box and all.
    Thanks a bunch, now I have to go back to therapy.
    Lets hope she NEVER finds the 300M board!
    As HollyHoffy would have said....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Happy New Year, Msters!
    So far, so good...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    I can read between the lines on your comment enough to know that somewhere in your past you were exposed to the tire weight equivalent of Chinese water torture.

Wheel weights on the inside of the rim, huh? That Becca sounds like a really "hunny".

No more "weighty" talk from me!
    Wouldn't want to give anyone bad dreams about driving down the road in their M with Krispy Kremes in place of the tires! :)
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    yosito, yosito, yosito-

Haven't you been in TH long enough to learn? Mistake number one was BUYING the Neon. Mistake number 2 is putting up with the crap. Christine was not as bad as your son's Neon, but I know EXACTLY what you mean about the dealers, their "5-STAR" service and their ignorant, yuppie factory reps. I dealt with it all without driving Christine threw their showroom window.

If you need help with Lemon Laws for your state, just e-mail me. I have all kinds of Lemon Law bookmarks. I don't need them anymore. Have a great car now with not one problem in 22 months and 21,000+ miles! Good luck. Sure sounds like they are taking advantage of you.

laurasdada-

:-))) Thinking of you last night when I was at our favorite hangout! Thought a NEW year would bring some changes, but....... no such luck. Helped Gov. Rowland lower the deficit! Glad your 300 is treating you well. Can't wait to see what the 300N will look like and have for an engine! Probably more hype than anything.

fastdriver
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Some time ago I saw a dicussion regarding the preference of I believe an A or B amp. One was for the 2001 and the other for 2002 model. I have a 2001 M and am looking for a very slightly used 2002 and need to know if I should swap out my amp when I make the switch. HELP! Thanks.

I use my system all the time at fairly high volumes.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Thanks alot for starting out the new year with this (Becca) topic. I now wonder how long this board is going to last now!!!! It has been infected with the wheel weight virus. Did you see that the wheel weights moved. LOL
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Iwish you all a Happy New Year from my family and I, my friends. I'm hoping that 2003 will be a better year for all of us, and especially for me. Being unemployed is not my favorite thing to do, though I don't mind sleeping a bit later in the morning these days.
    I am hoping that what 'they' say is true in that the beginning of 2003 will be better for the economy which translates into--hopefully--a job for the Doc. I figure I've got a few good years left in me....
    I've updated the Club home page as far as I could with the newest member count--460. I've also added a new member to the 300m SPECIAL page and also dropped in a vertical news ticker (under the 300m Special logo on the home page) that displays our newest members.

Hope this message finds all my friends-including Pat--healthy; and that the new year brings you all good health and happiness.

Best wishes,
    drpixel/Glenn
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    I'm only an occasional participant in this board, but I believe I read that you're in the IT field and looking for work, I think in NJ area? A friend of mine that worked at Schering-Plough until recently had told me that their job descriptions are practically all online, and that they encourage use of their web site to job seekers. www.schering-plough.com/careers should work. This is just a shot in the dark, and you may have already be aware of this, but I thought i'd mention it in case you hadn't. I hope the new year is a good one for you and your family.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    http://wwwsg.daimlerchrysler.com/GMS/CONTENT/IMAGES/536422Interior3__mid.jpg

Look at the shift knob, the return of the CHROME strip!!!!!
    The car looks nice, but I'll bet the chrome strip is lightweight brushed aluminum. Sigh.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Otto- That Magnum is weird looking and the interior looks like retro...can't recall the design style...not roccoco...but...having a brain cramp here, anyway I don't care for it, but I wouldn't buy a Dodge wagon anyway.

Had another lock failure on my 99M. This is number two. Lost the passenger door lock actuator last year and this time it is the driver's side rear door. Again, noted its failure to lock only by chance. Cost of the repair will be $222.00 once they get the parts. Covered under my extended warranty. I'm at 4.5 years and 53K miles on my Platinum 99. Still love the little rascal.

As I was waiting a new looking blue and woody Cruiser pulled in with a garbage bag on the rear side window. I heard the lady later tell another waiting customer that they were on a trip, and when they left the motel and started the car up this a.m. the rear window went down on its own, and would not go back up. Its been raining here so they brought it in to my 5* who rarely has the spare parts to fix much of anything. The body shop got the window back up and locked in place, and the folks were going to get the defective part[s] replaced when they got to their destination. I find it ironic after all the window motor failures on the M that the new Cruisers may have the same problem. I think I'd buy my window motors and lock actuators from a Lexus supplier rather than whoever is selling them to DC.
    Thanks for the pictures, but that vehicle is not my cup of tea (or anything else for that matter). I sure hope the Chrysler vehicles will look better. The rear side windows are useless. What is the drag cof. on that vehicle .97? I can still hope for the 300P models I guess. It is sad that the Mercedes Vehicles are looking better then the Chrysler ones. I do like the 500SL and the AMG version is even better. Oh my poor pocket book.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    is it bulletproof? :)
  • johnee99johnee99 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2000 300m with the 16" PHG tires (Michelin XGT V4). I was not overly impressed with these tires, especially as they wore. Snow and rain traction became marginal at best. They currently have 33,000 miles and need to replaced.

I've been contemplating the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, but am not too crazy about the aggressive tread design (at least for the sophisticated look of the 300m). They do appear to be the best replacement performance all-season tire for the PHG cars though.

Post's indicate a few of you have purchased these tires - any comments on them? How are they compared to the OEM's?

Any other tire suggestions are welcome?

Has anyone had a bad experience with Tirerack.com?

Thanks all!
    John
    I actually loved my Michelin XGT's! You guys must be street racers because I got 50K miles on mine and still had tread left (rotated every 10K). I think they are "rated" for 60K. However, I agree wholeheartedly with your comment about their traction, or lack thereof - the XGT is a hot pavement tire and works fantastic in its environment, rain not being one of them. The traction actually gets worse even though there is still 1/4 inch of tread left. So.....I went with the Dunlop Sport A2's. I think the ride is maybe a smidgen harsher, but the tire way outperforms the Michelin in the rain, sleet and muckity muck. Good luck!
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    You guys don't seem to like it, but I love it even more now! I'd seriously think about buying one myself in the second or third model year of course, in wagon form with the Hemi. I just love it! That, and I'm quite disgusted with GM's absolutely horrible car market. I love the truck side, but the cars make me want to puke!

It's getting harder and harder to avoid DC anymore, but only if they're built like a vault and turn out to be Lexus/Acura reliable. I'm really liking this new LX car, but the 300N worries me...
    Well, we're back to posting consecutive messages I see....Happy New Year!

Don't get too disgusted with my last post, but it's all truth...believe it or not!
    beach15-

I agree about GM's lack of STYLE! Hopefully, that will be changing soon. I can't say that some of these new things from DC look much better. At least the GM cars are BLAH. The edgy DC ones that keep popping up here and there are UGLY! Before I got my present car, I was going to get the supercharged Buick Regal because I loved that engine in my Riviera. The car did nothing for me in the looks department. Not like Christine at all. When she was all Zainoed up, she'd snap heads! ;-))

I guess with DC, it will be TIME=TELL as to how these new designs will be accepted. I can't believe that a Dodge Ram truck, a Dodge Magnum and a Neon can now all have dual exhausts and leave the 300M in the dust! WHAT is Chrysler thinking? If they botch the 300N or whatever it is going to be called, they'll be done for sure!

Just my .02 as always.

fastdriver
    someone knows what kind of car a customer wants and the kind of service they expect.

http://www.detnews.com/2003/insiders/0301/02/b01-49698.htm

Looks like the 1980's all over again.

fastdriver

• easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    in the looks departed. And some of their trucks arent much better. Look at that Aztek--how could they produce that monstrosity. And (sorry Beach) the Avalanche is not much better---whats with all that plastic cladding--cladding like they use on Pontiac cars.

Beach---sorry to say this, but it figures that you like the Magnum. You tend toward ugly vehicles. That front end of the Magnum is just too truck-like for my taste. The rear on the wagon is just slightly more acceptable.

Chrylser would have a hit if they produce the 300C Hemi convertible and an exact same car in a hardtop version. Or how bout a convertible that came with a removeable hardtop like the corvettes. That would be an instant hit. Sorry to say, I think Chrysler may be heading in the wrong direction with their potential lineup. Who knows, maybe I'll be buying one of their last 300M's in 2004 as my M will have over 60k by then.
    another Chrysler mistake---and using Selene as their mascot is also a mistake--how about Britney or Jennifer--guess they are too expensive. I should would watch those commercials a lot closer if they had Britney seated at the controls of the M.

I hope Chrylser doesnt screw up the next generation. They cant afford a mistake at this point. Its just too bad they dont plan on dropping in a Hemi in a slightly modified 300M style vehicle. Then they would have a sure hit. But the 300N just doesnt cut it like the M.
  • jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    All these bad comments on this car from all you near luxury owners. This car is not aimed at you.
    Chrysler is going after the family driver that doesn't want to drive a mini van because of image and doesn't want a SUV because of size.

I would not now buy this car either. But that is because my family is all grown up and gone. But, if I was 30 something with two young kids that would be my first choice.
    It is the BADDEST looking station wagon I have ever seen. I could talk my wife into it because it is a station wagon and have a HEMI without here ever suspecting a thing.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    I love the Magnum , and like jab02lhs said , this is not the 300 replacement.

Selene ??? try Celion !!;-0
    Why don't they call it what it is: the "Family Queen Truckster," right out of Vacation, the movie. Oh yeah, the interior style... I remember now retro Art Deco.

Just what we need, another SUV/Wagon/truckster that will blow us away off a light. Oh well... Hey Otto--Are you working the line again or still on furlough?
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    Generally it looks pretty good, but the front end is in severe need of a rework, it's out of place to the rest of the vehicle. I think that as much as anything is what kills the overall impression.
    It looks like a compressed version of the front end on the MAXX concept pickup from a couple years back. I didn't like it then either.
    If they go to market with it looking like that, I guarantee revised front end styling within two model years.

The dash isn't really much different than the current Intrepid design, same general shape and configuration. The gauges are in pods and the center stack reworked a bit.

After 10 years of cab forward and lots of glass the high beltline is a pretty jarring change. Of course so was cab forward after 10 years of the K-mart car which was a cracker box on wheels.

Time will tell.
    Don't love it ALL, because that nose does look a little strange on a car I think, and the back end is a bit sparse, but to overall shape and styling more than make up for that. I guess I do tend to like things that people think are ugly (believe me, I've been told so many times before...), but in reality, that's only because I like everything that is out of the ordinary. Things that, no matter how proficient you are with cars, are instantly visible in traffic. Think CTS, the front of a 300M (the rest really isn't that "out-there"), the Avalanche, the Aztek, the Isuzu Axiom, etc.,etc.

I fully understand why so many people don't like the Avalanche for its look, but that's one of the main reasons why the people who buy them do so. It just looks trully aggressive, and is fitting of the vehicle, as a tough, battle-ready machine. That, and it makes maintenance so easy and door dings absolutely non-existent.

fastdriver- I'm not even faulting as much thier overall style (though it is pretty bad in most cases), it's just the absolute deplorable assembly quality and material choice so often used. Of GM, Buick and Cadillac are the best in this regard, but could still do a little better, and the full-size SUV's are also really nice. Our Avalanche has generally nice materials, and everything is rock solid, lined up perfectly, and there's no funny noises. However, the build quality on the new GM triplet mid-size SUV's is just disgusting, though not as bad as many smaller cars. Despite this, the reliability doesn't always suffer, for instance, in cars like the Impala which is quite bulletproof, but puke-inducing inside and out. I had this discussion with my father a few days ago when he was disgusted with his '69 Chevelle's assembly, and he admitted that GM has potentially the best engineering and design of all domestic makes, but their poor assembly quality that ruins so many cars. Basically, on design alone, the cars are quite nice, but the, um, "people" at the factories screw it up.

Sorry for the long post, back to the 300M!
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    I agree with Fastdriver. I can't believe DC is basically abandoning the 300M. It's really sad that the RAM Hemi and Neon SRT will be the fastest vehicles. True, I'm sure DC will make a lot of money off of both, but the there are a lot of buyers in the near luxury market that would love a Hemi powered M. If the Hemi does not make it to a 300N, Chrysler division will be in trouble. I hate the fact that they have put ALL their money into the UGLY PT Cruiser. The 300M blows it away in the looks category. Now with the PT turbo, it looks as if those owners will have the last laugh.
    Well, this is one M owner that will abandon DC if they ruin the upcoming M or N. I guess I'll go buy a G35......
    anyone know the price of a properly equipped G35. I dont think they discount the list price as much as on a 300M.
    It is a bit like a squashed school bus.
    Crocodile.
    I think the loaded price is around 33,500. Which puts the 300m to shame for the bang for the buck category.
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    More like $35K+ for the 6 speed coupe, with options, & dealer mark up because it a new car. The sedan is about $34K. Still expensive since you can get a fully loaded special for under $30K.
  • yositoyosito Member Posts: 55
    Chrysler´s styling is superb!
    Sorry they have such bad dealers, their service practices are terrible!
    They are the ones who make the cars bad!
    FIVE STAR PROGRAM, ANOTHER FRAUD FROM CHRYSLER!!

MOST of their dealer don´t deserve to be dealers!
    BTW, designs like these DESERVE NICER DEALERS, most of the show rooms are ugly, and what can be said about SERVICE and PARTS DEPTS.???

PLUS THOSE TERRIBLE SALESMAN, they don´t know what are they selling, and also think they are doing you a favor!!!

Where is CUSTOMER SATISFACTION??????
    I was referring to the sedan with comparable features. At 34k, the G35 has more options than the M(not to mention outstanding customer service). True, the M costs a little less, but the Infiniti will have better resale value which offsets that difference. I still love my M, but competition is getting better and better. With the direction DC is going and the latest 300N pics, I think they're going to have a lot of people jump ship. I guess time will tell, but my lease on my M will be up when the new M or N arrives so I'm watching impatiently!!!
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    I haven't had a car yet to be coverd with snow. Not even the 300M seen snow. I picked the right time to visit to NYC...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/28735700/59488600GmQJRE

The new grand prix should be pretty good in the looks department, and they are finally getting rid of all that plastic cladding (that was used to hide the rust). As for the Avalanche I think most buy it for the virsitility, not the looks. I think they sell them dispite the looks.
    I like the All the current chrysler designs except for the Neon. And I think they should keep Celion. She is a class act unlike Brittney. And Chrysler is suspoised to be class. Brittey can do Dodge (in your face). It is a shame they did not put the hemi in the 300M as the first vehicle, it would have been a nice historyical note, that one of the first cars to have it. would be the first to see it's return (dam, I should be working for Chrysler) Too bad.
    I like the interior but not the exterior. But it is a very nice vehicle. Sorry I hate the Z car, too much like a TT (which I do not like eather).
    Does it come with a Dick Tracy watch?
    This is off topic, but maybe someone has great experience and can enlighten. My daughter just took delivery on an Audi A4 about 2 weeks ago, and two days ago while transporting one of her cats from the vets, it let go and emptied its bladder that went through the carrier and on the rear cloth seat. Any thoughts short of a new seat. [She started a Pinesol treatment and is going to have the seat shampooed I guess.] I know cat urine is bad stuff but maybe someone had a similar event and a success in cleaning. I told her to get the M with leather seats but when do they ever listen??