Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    Celine?
  • psterpster Member Posts: 293
    My advice: Terminate them both with extreme prejudice.
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Saw the GXP at the San Diego Auto Show yesterday. Although it was roped off so you couldn't get inside ....from what I can see I really liked the interior. The exterior is pretty similar to today's w/o all the plastic body cladding. Great wheels too. I think it had around 280 hp. It was the nicest GM car I saw there (except the H2 was pretty cool)
    Another thing I noticed at the show yesterday....the 2003 M they had didn't have rear headrests. Looks like more decontenting. The seats had a humped shaped to them in the back instead.

Otto...are they all like this or was this just a freaky M?
  • svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    I've seen several 2003 300M's and each of them have that "hump" in place of a proper headrest in the back. Yes, it's more decontenting, sad but true.
  • muskateer3muskateer3 Member Posts: 103
    Just happened to my son's Camry, and this was the only approach that finally did the trick:

Took the seat bottom out.
    Removed the cloth cover from the seat bottom by removing clips and hogrings that hold it on.
    Cleaned the seat cover with shampoo and a pressure washer (yes a pressure washer)
    Put the now clean seat cover in the dryer set to air fluff only (to prevent shrinking)

Now for the foam pad (which was saturated as well):

Got one of those hand held rug shampooers (spray and vacuum only - no brushes) and repeated the spray/suction/let dry process over a period of five days until the smell was completely gone.

Reassembled the seat cover to the pad / frame and reinstalled in the car.

Was this a royal pain in the arrrs - you bet!! But it worked like a charm. Looks and smells like new. You have got to get the pee out of the foam pad, or the smell will be there forever.

Hope this helps.

M3

PS. We had taken the car to a detail place first, but after all the perfume dried, it smelled like cat pee again.
    Johnee99 -

I love these tires. Best I have ever owned. I don't think they look too aggressive at all. I especially like the fact that you can go wider...I have 235's instead of the stock 225. Check it out:

http://community.webshots.com/user/blonda81

Installed the molded mud guards this weekend. Love they way they look on the slate M (see above). Also put on the Magnet bra a couple weeks ago -- can hardly tell it's there. Great for winter. Will probably go back to the regular hood cover in summer.

• beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    The new Grand Prix is nice, but I think the front has some weirdness to it and some of the wheels on regular models are just ugly. I saw the GXP too, and the graphite paint and gorgeous wheels did wonders. The rear end looks a little strange too. But overall, quite nice and a big improvement from the current, already nice car.

300michael- Yep, the Av sells quite good. In its first year, there was over 100k sold. And yes, a lot of the buyers do choose it because of styling, with versatility about tied. That, and as the saying has been made before, "TO DRIVE ONE IS TO BUY ONE". Cool looking SUV crossover that rides and is as silent as a big Lexus.

blonda- I've seen that "deletion" of the rear headrests too. That was one of my favorite things about the car, for the simple fact that even though you were in the backseat, you still had an adjustable headrest. And, few cars (except really $$$) have them. I hope with all this money their saving, the LX's are loaded to the gills with standard toys.
  • wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    >using Selene as their mascot is also a mistake--how about Britney or Jennifer--guess they are too expensive ...

Just my opinion, but as I see it, Celine Dion has more awards and hits to her name and would probably command a heftier retainer than either Britney or J.Lo.

Yes, the plant is idle for the next 2 weeks.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    I like the Caddy version a lot better.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Wire , beat me to it. Yup laid off till Jan 20.And you guys think we should stick to building the current LH body style longer??? . No thanks .I dont need all these lay-offs I need O.T !!!! Bring on the LX !!!!!
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    I've looked really closely at those pictures and realized that the grill and hood are one piece on that car. Considering that the grill goes down into the bumper area, it's a pretty safe bet to say the front end on the production car will be different.
    As it sits, it could never pass the bumper standards. The re-enforcement needed in the grill area would make the hood so heavy you'd need some really health gas struts to lift it.

I like the current LH styling but time marches on. The sales aren't where they need to be so they have to try something else.

The high beltline appears to be the coming thing. Anyone seen the Ford 427? The greenhouse on it is nearly a dead ringer for the "New Yorker" drawings.

I think DC is applying the lesson from the first RAMs: People either liked it or hated it, but that truck has moved from a footnote in sales to something like #6 in the top 10 of total sales. You can't argue with an approach that has those kind of results.
    sorry Kosh , from what I have been told the hood and grill are one unit on the production car also.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    I do not think it was the styling that hurt the current LH models, it was the drive trains. A small V8, 5 or 6 speed manual and a 5 or 6 speed auto. would have helped a lot. Not to mention all wheel drive (I believed it was designed for this in the first place). Plus a changing market place in which the LH vehicles didn't change unlike say the TL's and 35's. The 300 Hemi C should have been the car they built with the Hemi engine.
    The styling on the LH cars were great , the only bad thing is DC did not evolve the look over the years. They design the car, build it and them keep it the same for 7 years. Sure the guy buying a 98-99 Trep/300M likes the new styling back in 98-99 but selling the same exact same body in 2003 gets a little old. There are a lot of things they could have done over the years , but they just sat on their hands for the last 5 years. I guess they live by the motto " if it aint broke don't fix it "
    For some reason the LH body is always forgotten about. They upgrade Neons, Jeeps and Rams but the poor old LH gets nothing. It's like the runt of the family left to take the scraps .
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    Jeff,

They didn't sit on their hands for 5 years. They've been really busy creating new ways to decontent the cars. Something must be different so they could squeeze more model years out the design.

The other thing I hate is like how they're bragging about how much like the prototype the Crossfire is. Then they change one of the most important pieces, the 275 Supercharged engine for a regular 3.2.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    topcut-

Sounds like you're having a bad day. Car acting up?

fastdriver
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Have had similar problem with the cat who adopted us....seems a male cat got in my garage--youngest daughter left door open: male cat left a liquid calling card on OUTSIDE of door.
    MY cat smelled this and left her OWN clling card on inside of door.
    Solution:

Agree with what the post a few back from this one, but I used/sent for an enzyme-based liquid that had bacteria in it that ATE the microbes that create the urine smell (actually amonia). You HAVE to get the foam stuff--as I had to soak the carpet down to pad in my den, else its the returen of UrineTown--the Smell, not the Bdway show. Good luck from a cat owner who knows.

Doc
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    they best not fail in the styling or power departments on their next vehicles. Ford is coming out with a redesigned retro Mustang powered by a 400HP v-8 engine. And the GM Pontiac GTO is due out soon as well. Also the Infinity G35 could give Chrysler some heavy competition in its price class.
  • jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    This reliability issue should be kept in perspective. A good friend of mine had nothing but trouble with his TL a few years ago & claims he will never buy another Acura. One of my trainees had a Toyota with a bad engine at under 30K miles. One of my physician friends is through with Mercedes after a bad E-class, (and now drives a Dodge Caravan which he loves). My 2001 300M has been flawless. All this means nothing more than I was lucky & my buddies were not.
    Everyone buys ONE car - which is either reliable or not (i.e. if you get a good car or bad car it's 100% of your experience). The real question is the risk of getting a lemon. The difference between the 300M and the Acura is less than one defect per 100 cars (source-JD Power's random survey data). Heck, even traditionally anti-Chrysler Consumer Reports rates the 300M as "average" reliability now. The risk of getting a bad 300M may (or may not) be slightly greater than the other cars mentioned, but IMHO this is no reason to avoid a 300M. Find a good dealer & buy the car you really want.
    BTW- This "lemon risk factor" why I never buy the 1st model year of a car (or 1st yr of a major redesign). Data suggest that you may be an "automotive beta-tester".

Jon
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    I've had cats for years. When transporting them I use an old towel in the cage as a liner. If they have an accident, you just throw away the towel! Man, I can't imagine getting that smell out. Goodluck Bigmike......
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    Sorry to burst your bubble (not that it hasn't been done before) You cannot compare the 'perceived' quietness of your parents Avalanche to a LEXUS. My sister-in-law drives a Lexus LS430, trust me an Avalanche doesn't come close! I'll give you the fact that they are quieter than a 300M, but come on. If GM got rid of all that plastic cladding that causes vibration against metal, it might help noise levels even more.
  • topcuttopcut Member Posts: 54
    having a great day..!!!! :):) ..Cars drives and runs perfect.....Seems strange to me people are so blind....Chrysler has its act together and will only get better....GM is the big bumbling idiot in the auto arena...:)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We are wandering all over the place lately. Please try to keep in mind that this is a discussion specifically focused on a single vehicle, the Chrysler 300M.

Extensive brand scrutiny is better placed in appropriate discussions on our News & View board.

Thanks for your cooperation.
    Thanks Pat
  • peters300mpeters300m Member Posts: 11
    Hi Guys,

I finally got my site up. Please check it out and vote.

http://www.sounddomain.com/id/platinumplus300m

Peter

Looks pretty cool Pete...:)
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    cmyers300m-

Oh no!! Look who has the cladding now!! :-))))))) Better this than the 300N!!!

fastdriver
    Not sure the 300N will happen the last word from Car-Truck is that it will be labeled the 300C Hemi.....and a luxury version retro,,New Yorker....Think that is right.....www.car-truck.com....check it out
  • beespecialbeespecial Member Posts: 69
    I read that the '02 300M Specials were made in limited numbers. Is that also true for the '03 Specials? If it is true, can anyone tell me how many were made for '03 and if I can find out what number mine is?
    Depends what you call limited numbers.
    Something like 10-12 thousand Specials( I think) were built in 02. Now because the 03 model ends at the end of Jan , less Specials were made in 03 than 02. Also I would think that the 04 Special will be the lowest production of them all . You can not find out what number your's is , they dont keep that kind of info.
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    Greasykid1:The amp you want to stay/run away from is the AC amp. I believe these were only in some 2002's. The dealers are replacing them with AD amps per a TSB. I don't think it's as good as the AB that came in 2001 and some 2002 300s, but it's much better than the evil AC.
    Blonda:The 2003 300M Special at the show had headrests in the rear, the plain jane 300 did not!? Otto, did they retain the rear headrests in the Special only, or was the deletion a mid year change?
    I don't doubt the hood and grill will be of one piece, that appears to be the trend for the next round of vehicles based on concepts DC is introducing. I'm just saying the front end on the Magnum won't be exactly like the concept. I suspect it will be closer to the Avenger concept just intro'd.

I wonder what the backup vehicle will look like since the Magnum at LA got badly damaged when the transporter carrying it crashed in Illinois.

True, the LH styling never changes in series, but neither does the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, RAM, PT, Dakota/Durango, or the Minivan's. I think the ones that DC has changed is more due to poor reaction to the design as much as anything. The current Stratus and Sebring are getting a rework because the front styling just didn't work - especially the Stratus.

The push back towards RWD should benefit the 300 at least from the drive train perspective.
    I read 8500 Specials were planned for model year 02, I don't remember the source of this, but 10-12k sounds more realistic. When I read that, I thought it might be cool to know the serial number of my own "limited edtion". But if they don't record that kind of stuff...oh well.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Dr and muskateer--Thanks for the advice. I will copy the remedy and pass on to my daughter. Hope she can do the treatment.
    As I understand it....Chrysler will have a short production year for all models due to the early introduction of the LX series
    I read they have a back-up they can use if its damage they cant repair before the show starts.
    the 04 model starts Feb 1 to Aug 28 .
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    Bit of an evasive manuever at 40 mph with my 99 non-PHP M with 46,000 miles and the original Goodyears. Some guy in an Explorer makes a left turn from the rightmost lane when I am barely 2 car lengths from him. I hit the brakes hard, made a sharp left (barely missing the front of his vehicle), then an immediate hard right to get out of the way of oncoming traffic. The car was remarkably poised throughout all of this.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Good thing the M doesn't have cloth seats, eh? The leather cleans up much easier. Must have been in his blind spot??
    I didn't need any cleanup....didn't have time to mess them up! I don't know if he had the leather package or not...whatever he had he's the one who's got a little cleanup to do. Wasn't the blind spot. I don't ride in blind spots and I don't let someone else ride in mine. He was in the right lane, slowing down and there was a road coming up on the right. I was in the left lane, going 40 and he decided he didn't want to go right...he wanted to go left. The only blind spot was somewhere in his cranium. All I can say is this car handles extremely well for being a big car.
    Congrats on keeping your sheet metal straight. I have some Trooper friends that call his type of driving "Impaired by Cranialrectitis".
    I assume we'll trek up to Brampton again for a plant tour after the Dream Cruise in August. Looks like just in time to see some of the last LH models in the making before shutdown for 3rd Generation retooling.

How can we find out if the LX models will be on display at the Chrysler displays at 14 mile and Woodward this year?
    Please visit my request for a show of hands here on if you are interesting in attending the All Mopar meet July 12th and/or 13th in Carlisle, PA

http://pub88.ezboard.com/f300menthusiastsclubfrm3.showMessage?topicID=59.topic

• david70david70 Member Posts: 5
    I just put the first 3000 miles on my new 2003 Special. Here is the list I'm givng to the dealer tomorrow.

1. Adjust left head light. When I am on a left turning curve, one can hardly see ahead in the road. This was very dangerous driving in such a low light condition. Needs to be adjusted up.

a. I know about the new lights, but this is not right. They are supposed to “broadcast” 2.5 times more light than halogens. These are the worst lights I have ever seen.

2. Passenger side rear tire went flat in Florida. It had been running a couple of pounds lower than the other three the whole way down to Florida. I filled with a canister of sealant in Florida and it has been stable since. But I hardly can believe that is a permanent fix.

3. There is a high speed (70 mph +) creaking at the top of the windshield. This is especially bad in the wind. This became progressively worse as the trip went on.

4. Is there any way to adjust the Cruise Control so it will engage at speeds higher than 82 mph?

5. Any news when the Satellite Radio will be in?

So, as you can see, the new Special has left a bit to be desired. But it will get there sooner or later.
    LX model at Woodward ? that I could not tell you .
    Care to explain that a little further? The cruise is supposed to function at any speed above 15mph.

As far as I know the satellite radio is available now and could be installed at the factory if the car was been ordered that way.
    My cruise will not hold over 80 mph. I believe it's programed that way. But when you think about it, once you start going over a certain speed, you really need to have full control over the car...including the throttle.
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    The 2000 I had would only go to 87mph. It was in the manual. I hated it.
  • doc107doc107 Member Posts: 4
    I just called the garage and asked if they could program the Cruise to a higher speed. In terms of having full control of the throttle at a higher speed, I suppose I would agree if one is in traffic. However, out on an open road with minimal traffic and few trees along the road, cruising at a higher speed is (at least in my mind) not that bad.

In terms of satellite radio, they told me the radio would not be available until mid-January. Apparently, Chrysler was not satisfied with the integration of the product within the vehicle. They indicated that the existing system would be "unattractive" on the exterior of the vehicle.