Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    Unfortunately, there are not a boatload of options in the 225/55/17 tire size. Have you been satisfied with the stock Goodyear's? Although some on this board badmouth them, the Goodyear's have many loyal followers. My father replaced the stock 17" Eagle LS's on his LHS with another set because of his trouble-free 43+K mile experience with his stock GY's (mixed city-highway & still had 4/32" tread left) . If you prefer another brand, Yokohama Avid's are available in the stock size & have been widely praised as a touring tire. Since snow is not a problem for you, Michelin Pilot Sport's are another option. These are more performance-oriented tires (better handling, stiffer, & more $$$).

Jon
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    You can see the hand of Bob Lutz here.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    bb_lhs_2k, just read the posts regarding the Raybestos brakes over at the "other place" and was quite surprised. The prowler folks think the Raybestos QS ceramics are the greatest and I have not seen one negative comment regarding them on the prowler board. The prowler takes the exact same pad set for the front 730QS as the LHS/300M.

Brake pads alone are not the only thing that can cause squealing, incorrect reassembly, caliper not moving freely on the caliper guides (there is special grease for this)are just a couple of things.

I did read on the prowler board that one guy got the wrong set of pads inside a Raybestos QS box. Reminds me of the time I went to Wal-Mart to get my Mobil 1 oil and filter when I changed over to synthetic. I took the filter out of the box to see check it out because I had never paid over $5 for an oil filter before, wanted to see what was so special about it. Well to my surprise somebody switched out the filter for a cheaper brand. That switch was obvious, it would not be so obvious w/brake pads.

Inspect the pads that are installed on your vehicle, the leading and trailing edges should be chamfered and the pads will have a groove in them. Also since you have an LHS be sure they install the pad retension springs. I am sure this is one item that gets overlooked.
  • bb_lhs_2kbb_lhs_2k Member Posts: 94
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    GTO was designed in Australia a few years ago. Bob Lutz just made the decision to import it.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Made in Australia. Throw it on the Bar-B and make sure you light the fire. Another dog. Will they ever be "bold" enough to get rid of the front grill pattern? Seems centuries old. My car mags however, think the Australian version is pretty good.
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    I have the Micheline Pilot Sport A/S which are very expensive (approx. $235 each) but they are very nice tires so I guess they are worth it. I also expect them to last at least 3 years. I don't know of many other brands that offer the 235/55/17 size. They only leave about 1/4" clearance between the inside edge of the tire and the spring mechanism, but I have had no issues in 10 months. They handle and wear great and are far superior to the Goodyears that came with the M. They look great too.
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    - It got a good writeup in C&D recently
    - Overall, I like the look but I agree w/PSTER that the butt isn't graceful, but it may be that we just need to get used to it
    - Ruski, how was the reliability of your GTP? I consider the 'M pretty good in that regard, but have no idea how the Grand Prixs are
    - Interior is nice, but could use some wood grain for those of us who like that
    - The 3.8 litre is now coming as a Series III--it turns me off to buy such an old-style engine. The base engine will only be 200-220 hp, will need SC to get more powere and torque. SC is more parts that can go wrong when mileage gets high.
    - The wheels shown in the picture don't compare to our razorstars

All in all a fairly nice package, but not a home run IMO.
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    I had almost no problems with the GTP.

One issue was the tranny that started shifting with a kick on the day 2. Turned out that some wire's insulation got compromised (possibly by acid from battery) and was shorting. Dealer fixed it quickly.

Another issue was a broken steering rack. Mine broke shortly after I hit a huge double pothole in NYC. But in general, there is a TSB or a recall for steering racks.

The car was a blast to drive.

The engine is an old design but it does not mean that it is old technology. It is a proven design and is quite inexpensive to produce and repair. Many say that this engine is bulletproof. It makes lots of torque down low, and the torque curve is quite flat.

The trannies in the Grand Prix are very good too. Very smart at the right time.
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    Took my 99 with just under 50K miles on it in to the dealer this morning because of an intermittant "miss" in the engine. Turns out that despite the 100,000 between tuneups, mine is in need of a tuneup and a replacement of the throttle body. I also am having them replace the battery while I am at it. Total bill - $597. A buddy of mine that worked at a Chrysler dealer had forwarned me that tune-ups would not be cheap for this car. Hopefully, I'll get the full 100K miles out of this one.

Also, since my seats had the "rocking" issue, and the NHTSA has a recall for that (number 03V035000), I was told that this recall did not affect my vehicle. I called the number listed in the NHTSA docuoment for Chrysler, and they told me that it affects the OTHER LH cars, but not the 1999 300M. Since Chrysler hasn't given them an owner notification schedule yet, be aware that your vehicle may not be covered under this recall.

As I said - a little disappointed in this event, but overall satisfaction with this car remains high.
  • illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    A tuneup consists of replacing the spark plugs. Unlikely that plugs and throttle body would be causing problems simultaneously. Also unlikely that the throttle body would need to be replaced. If anything it might need cleaning.
    Wyckoff has the throttle body for $166.75 on the net. Add in the plug costs, and it looks like you are paying a lot for installation of parts unless I'm missing something.
    tuneup, replacement of throttle body, and replacement of battery. I am not one to work on my own vehicle, so I bite the bullet and pay more to the dealer. It also provides some level of recourse in the event that the "fix" wasn't for the right thing.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    Same ugly pictures, BUT there is mention again of a convertible!

http://info.detnews.com/autosinsider/sneakpeek/index.cfm

MAYBE, they mean this?

http://info.detnews.com/autosinsider/sneakpeek/index.cfm?myrec=69

fastdriver
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    I too have put wider tires on my 2001 M. They are Dunlop Sport A2 235/55R17's. They are fantastic. I replaced my Michelin Pilots, which were good tires but WAY too expensive IMO. The Dunlops have had NO rubbing issues, fill up the wheel wells and only cost $104 at the Tire Rack. They are JUST as quiet as my Pilots were, handle great, and cost half as much. I recommend them to anyone looking.....
    From time to time people have asked about the smoke colored edging that goes on the top of the windows, so you can vent the car in rain, or when leaving it in the hot sun. I had a set of Vent Shade edges put on a few months ago, and they have worked pretty well. My Ziebart guy did the installation. Cost was $59 for all four windows installed. [They are on sale on the net for $49 a set of four.]For the more handy they can be had off the net at the carxcessory site or just use Google and type in "vent shade." They look nice in smoke on my platinum M.
  • beespecialbeespecial Member Posts: 69
    During the afternoon rush for home on the freeway yesterday I had the pleasure of merging, far too briefly, into the lane next to a bright silver M, which is beautiful on it's own. But driving it was a very fine looking blonde woman who smiled at me as she saw my M moving up next to her. Traffic wouldn't allow me to remain there for long. As I caught up to her again I was about to motion to her that I liked her car but the blasted traffic intervened again. Her lane slowed abruptly and I zipped on by and I never saw her again. I will certainly post it should this encounter happen again. It sure is nice to see a woman with good taste in cars.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Been saying that for years ... some people still won't beleive it. Bet they have been trying regular with the recent price increases though!
    Been saying that for years ... some people still won't beleive it. Bet they have been trying regular with the recent price increases though!

Acura drivers shouldn't try regular unleaded. My brother-in-laws wife accidently filled his RL up with regular unleaded and the thing ran like s$%#$%.
  • no1trustno1trust Member Posts: 151
    Today I read a full page ad from a 5* dealership offering a 2004 300M for $23,990. Also in the ad I saw (which really caught my attention) no payments till 2004 - also 0% apr/up to 60 months, 1st years registration paid, up to $4,500 cashback. See dealer for all details.

Out of curiosity I had to see what the catch was, especially since I hadn't seen anywhere DC offering no payments till 2004 anywhere (I also had this unrealistic hope that due to the competitive car market, DC was actually going to resort to Oldsmobile-type incentives, silly I know for a 2004 that just came out).

What the salesman told me was that it was only on 1 specific car, and though the car was "somewhere on the lot" it couldn't be found. The other incentives? You could only take one: either the 0% DC offers, OR the 1st year's registration paid, OR no payments till 2004 (but forget about the 0%). No such exclusions mentioned in the ad itself.

Since I didn't find my magnifying glass before checking out the 5* I missed reading in the tiniest white print in the black background that all vehicles have a $1,995 dealer prep fee. Well, when I buy a car, we'll see about paying exorbitant dealer prep fees on a 300M; they're hardly the only dealer in Nevada & Southern California to buy from.

They also had their 1st Pacifica on display. To each their own, I'm not in that market, but what's the big deal about it? I read it has the 300M engine in it, but the Pacifica is about 1,000 pounds heavier. From the outside it just looked like a station wagon/SUV-lite combo already so common on the road.
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    is on leftover 2003's. $3,000 rebate, purchase or lease, and of course, the real negotiation starts at invoice.

The deal on 04's is nearly as good, especially if you want the Premium Discount Group. There is a $1,000 rebate (buy or lease) plus, if you wanted the PDG options anyway, another $1100+ discount on the sticker. Base is up about $300.
    Went to the Autoshow in L-ville Saturday. What a dog of a show. Mostly dealers trying to sell their inventory, and few concepts or new models. No Crossfire but there was a Pacifica. Listened to the spiel from the babe doing the advertising pitch. Looked pretty good for accessories and options, and it was pretty big too. Anyway, it was on the revolving pedestal so I couldn't even get in it. Did get in an Infinity G35 coupe and found the seats to be the most uncomfortable I have ever sat in excpt those in the Grandstand at Fenway Park. Could not have driven the car 100 miles with those seats. Sat in the Z and it was better, but I really did not think much of the tilt lever set up on the steering wheel column and the entire instrument cluster rising along with the steering wheel. It also did not move very much so it may not be that easy for us more full figured guys to get in and get comfortable. The most interesting thing was that the prices for the Acura models and MB entry level C class cars were really pretty reasonable at around $30K. Course I don't know if any deals were available on those. They had one 300M there in Graphite. Nice color. I spent less than 2 hours on site. Most plentiful models?? There were at least 8 Hummers on the floor in all colors. And they were getting lots of looks. One dealer here had a deal for the H-1 where if you bought the H-1 they would throw in 2 new $15K cars off their lot. Unbelievable. Spend $100K and they give you $30K back. Really disappointed not to see the 300N, the Crossfire, or that really ugly little spud concept that they are calling the Airflite [a stretched Crossfire with four doors]. The original Airflite crashed and burned when it came out in the 40's ?? and sticking that old name on the four door Crossfire seems to me to be prophetic.
    wasn't it called AirFLOW back in the 40's? not AirFLIGHT
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    The 34 Airflow didn't fare too well with the public even though it was an engineering masterpiece.
    It had an all steel body when most cars still used a wood & steel construction technique.
    The more conventional Airstream outsold it by quite a margin.

The Airflite would be less problematic if DC hadn't lifted the side cove and straked vents from the MB SL Series.

At least "cab forward" was an original idea, but with Airflite lifting ideas from MB cars, and the Magnum being lifted from the Audi Avantissimo show car it raises questions about where DC is heading with the Chrysler half.
    Geez Ruski--I think you are right. I must have had a brain cramp on that. I did see the old Airflow at the DC museum last year and thought it was really a cool looking car. Apparently, too far ahead of its time. This Airflight can crash and burn on its own moniker.
  • gthomas22gthomas22 Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking to add some hpo to my engine. Can a turbo charger fit in a 300m? Has anyone done it before?
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    It has been done. Check this site,http://www.geocities.com/custom_lh/
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    The engines compression ratio is what's important. If it's high like in BMW's, & Acura's then a higher octain gas will be needed. I never thought priemium gas was worth it in any car. Even the 300M I never put anything but regular, & midgrade in. You can use regular in most cars nowdays though, cause the computers can retard timing so knocking will not happen, but the car will lose alot of performance, & MPG.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    "Looked pretty good for accessories and options, and it was pretty big too."

You were talking about the car and not the spokesmodel, right?!

My '99 Platinum M continues to serve well, 47,000 miles. No issues since a blown tire and my daughter's school bus backed over my hood...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Right. The babe...er...spokesperson was OK, but I was referring to the Pacific. Nice headlights too. My 99 is approaching 56K miles and I still thrill to drive it. That Crossfire had another long article someone posted on the other board, and it was pretty detailed with lots of pics. I dogged the writer about doing a big "first test drive" and not putting any actual 0-60 or 0-100 times, instead using DC provided "estimated" time for 0-60. Also learned that the Crossfire's little 3.2 litre engine requires high test too. Hard to figure that. And another article in one of my other auto mags starts out: " we are tooling down the Autobahn at 150 KMPH." Yeah, right. Believe it when I see it.
    " we are tooling down the Autobahn at 150 KMPH." Yeah, right. Believe it when I see it.

I've seen it in my 300M - 150km translates to roughly 94 miles per hour. Actually, they were tooling a little slowly for the autobahn.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    That's one thing about the engine in that car...it's numbers aren't very impressive, but it can be very quick and feels very powerful when in the right car, like a new C-Class. Kind of the opposite of the M, which has good numbers, but doggish performance. That, and every article on driving the Crossfire said it was really quite fast, cruised at high speeds effortlessly, and is built like a solid little tank, like the original MB's were (because this is just a SLK with a fixed roof).
    Well, I'm from Missouri on this one. They are going to have to prove it to me...if the dealer near home ever gets one in stock. A Vette is looking better and better if that thing "loaded" comes out near $40K.
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    One magazine that tested it summed it by saying it's a nice but unexceptional vehicle - a 7 year old MB as they put it.
    Then went on to point out that it's being sold into a price point with several choices available. The question they raised was will it draw much attention to itself against the competitors since it isn't outstanding in any respect.
    I think it will go the way of the Prowler - hefty sales until the initial demand is met and then it will slowly fade away.
    That maybe OK for DC if they are serious about wanting to do more variety with lower volumes per model. Of course how "low" a volume is acceptable is a open question.
    Trevor Creed is saying that DC doesn't care if people don't like their controversial styling and product directions, which is a rehash of what was said about the first generation RAM. Of course in that instance sales went through the roof. That philosophy works if sales go up. The truth, however, is they WILL care - a lot - if sales go the wrong way.
    Will Trevor Creed be compared to Elwood Engel, or Virgil Exner? Stay tuned, April 15th is soon here!
    Well, at least it isn't an Aztek. I have read somewhere that DC said "initial orders" have been overwhelming. Maybe that is pre-orders from dealers, because as of last week one couldn't yet be ordered at the dealer I frequent. They were expecting the go ahead and computer loads to be in from DC by this week but I haven't checked back yet to find out if they can take orders.
  • newsjunkienewsjunkie Member Posts: 2
    Greetings! I've perused the board but have a couple lingering questions I'd like to ask directly:

1- Performance Handling Group... think I gotta have it, don't want to "ooze" down the street-- but is my wife going to kill me (gotta be better than my '95 Neon Sport)?

2- Real Wood dash: Correct in assumption that any 300M with wood steering wheel has real wood pkg? Does the wood portion get unbearably hot/cold when parked (seasonally)?

3- Noticed in my 2001 brochure that there was an optional "electronic vehicle information center"... what is that?? Also, absent the "e.v.i.c." all 300Ms with moonroof would still have the overhead console w/compass, etc., right?

That's it for now-- thanks in advance for your help!

Oh-- here's what I'm "ordering" so far (using broker): 2001 year (for airbag system re-design, see www.iihs.org) deep sapphire w/ either sandstone or light taupe interior, moonroof, 4-disc changer, PHG, and... preferably, real wood interior trim.

MCS
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    What you are describing is what I have, the only thing is that the colour is Inferno Red, and yes you get the real wood trin, and if you wish to add extra wood for the console and such you can go to www.woodtrim.com and add it. I too have the sandstone interior with every option including side airbags. You will love this car!!!!! Good luck.
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    I forgot to add that you also get the EVIC on your car, the only thing you won't get on the 01 is the tire pressure option, but you really don't need it as I have read several posts from people who have had trouble with them. I really don't see a problem with heat or cold on the steering wheel with the wood, but you can always use the leather part. All the cars with the wood steering wheel come with the PHP group and you will be happy when you drive it.
    I had PHP and my wife did not object a bit. As a matter of fact she drove it for the first 2 years. And she would be the first one to complain if it were too harsh.
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Ruski has a treasure of a wife. Mine complains bitterly about the ride and stiff steering of my 2000 M w/ PHG. The city streets can be very rough, especially where the buses run in the right lane. You will feel every manhole cover and small bump. Having said that, the highway handling and performance are superb with PHG, which is why I got it. There are times when I regret it, but my wife doesn't want to borrow "my" car (LOL). I suggest you and your wife drive both versions before you commit.
    Good luck!

Silver
    my wife originally test drove the non-PHP version, but then I got the PHP. She did not notice anything.
  • psterpster Member Posts: 293
    Get a black interior, the lighter colors reflect off the inside of the expansive windshield.

Get an extended warranty contract if available on a used 2001. You won't regret it.

Good luck.
  • newsjunkienewsjunkie Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick info! Still no call from my broker (c'mon, it's been 4 days!!) <grin>

So ALL 300Ms with the wood steering wheel will also have PHG?? Really?? That'd be great-- and a lot easier to spot than those little fins on the front rotors!

How about my other question: Absent the "e.v.i.c." all 300Ms with moonroof would still have the overhead console w/compass, etc., right?

Oh, "PSTER" thanks for the warning but I can't stand sitting in a "black hole"... my father has a black/black Durango and it's like riding with Darth Vader. Nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there.

The taupe interior has a pretty dark top to the dash anyway, right?

I will take the warranty issue under consideration. I stupidly bought one when I got our Subaru.... never needed it, money down the drain, so I'm leery of repeating that mistake.

Thank you, thank you all-- I knew I'd come to the right place! MCS
  • gary_berggary_berg Member Posts: 28
    I agree - dark interior is too dark for me too. I've got taupe and like it a lot (I've got a 2004, replaced a 2000 with it). Just don't polish the dash with something that makes it shiny, like Armor All.

The half-wood wheel comes with the luxury group, which is separate from PHG. EVIC comes with luxury group, but all Ms have an overhead console with compass and temperature, as well as computer. Sunroof is not a factor. Very similar to what is on the current Ms; you should be able to check out the features on Chrysler's site.

Most dealer-ordered cars come pretty loaded; almost all seem to have a sunroof, many come with PHG and/or chrome wheels and/or top line stereo. I ordered both of mine; the 2000 I ordered with only a full-size spare, the 2004 I splurged and got it with just the luxury group. Sunroof I don't like, and the other features were unimportant to me.

If you can get the dealer to give you a good deal on the warranty it can be worth it. It'll pay for itself if anything dies. The more miles until the warranty ends the more it costs, so if you are a high mileage driver (or the car you get has high miles) it may not be worthwhile.
  • jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    From my window sticker
    ----------------------------------------
    Luxury Group $520

Wood Trim - Genuine California Walnut

Steering Wheel - Wood/Leather Wrapped

Vehicle Information Center

Mirrors - Auto Adjust in Reverse, Ext

Mirror - Driver Auto Dim, Exterior
    --------------------------------------

Hold out for the Luxury Group, the wood grain is so much better looking.

Other options

Side air bags $350.

Smokers group $ 20.

360 watt 11 speaker Cass/4 disc in dash Stereo $515.

Moonroof - power $895.

Wheels 17" Aluminum Chrome $750.

On the light taupe, that's what I have in my steel blue and I love it.
    Never had any problems with sun glare off the dash, yes the dash is darker than the seats. Be aware there is a taupe and a light taupe interior the light taupe looks a lot nicer.

On extended warranty tryy these guys they greatly discount the Chrysler extended factory warranty.
     http://www.chryslerwarranty.com/
  • jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    From owners manual
    -------------------------------
    Will display with warning beebs.

Turn signals on.
    Perform Service
    Door open
    Washer fluid low
    Memory seat disabled (not in park)
    ---------------------------------

---------------------------------
    Customer programmable Features
    Language
    US or Metric
    Auto Door Locks
    Auto Unlock
    Remote Unlock
    Remote linked to memory(Available with memory seats only)
    Sound horn with lock
    Flash lights with lock/unlock
    Head lamp delay
    Head lamp on with wipers
    Service Interval
    Reset service distance
    Easy exit seat
    Tilt mirrors down
    Train remote
    ----------------------------------
  • dustinnewtondustinnewton Member Posts: 242
    Hey strangers! Long time no "see"!