Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    I'd agree that the idler pulley is one good possible guess. If it doesnt' work correctly the tension on the unibelt will be too much which could cause a whine which would increase w/rpm. However, if you've recently replaced the unibelt and they put the tension too tight the idler pulley won't compensate; in that case they simply put too much tension on the belt and that could be your problem. I had a similar whine on my used M when I bought it, when I replaced the belt the whine went away. My assumption is that whoever had replaced the unibelt the 1st time simply had it too tight. The Chrysler repair manual specifies what the tension should be in foot pounds; it's not that tight...
  • wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    I'm guessing you have an otis or evic? Undo the Phillips screw near the windshield, place the fingertips under both sides of the console near the lights and pull down with left-right alternating force. You're overcoming the spring clips.
    For one without otis or evic, ignore the screw part.
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Wire, I have an OTIC, and it looks like there is a recessed opening for a screw near the windshield. Thanks for the tip. I would have tried to pop the lens off, no doubt damaging the OTIC.

Silver
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Scotian-thanks a million! Very useful pictures for a technology-challenged guy. I think I can, I think I can......
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    The road reached up and grabbed my rear bumper after it flattened my rear tire. I plan to mend the tear with glue, rivets, and a piece of black plastic. The tear is in as inconspicuous a spot as could be on the rear bumper, so it should not be noticeable.

Q: What kind of glue should I use? Auto Goop is out!

http://public.fotki.com/Scotian/300m/damage/rear_bumper/
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    If you have a Shop Manual they tell you how to repair it. Section 23 page 27 Service Procedures. If you do not have one I can relate what is in my manual.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    300michael (or whomever said it), what's the status on those headers being developed by Level 10?
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Bob-Got the package. Thanks. Can't play the CD on my system as the Army won't let me download any programs on to my computer to do so. I will keep it in case I get a home computer some day!!
    Anyone ever hear of a PWG-300M3 by Performance West Group? I was cruising the web and stumbled across it. It was a show/concept 300M with a few performance upgrades, but mostly appearance mods. It was on the bottle, but reportedly produced 338HP.

Go to www.performancewestgroup.com and click on Other Image Vehicles on the left, then click Others. Select PWG-300M3 from the group and click the headings over the pic for info and a few more pictures of it.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    bigmike5-

Glad it arrived in one piece. You don't have to download it to watch it. It's just a Quicktime movie with music. Hope you get to see it some day. You'll enjoy it.

fastdriver
  • on1wheelon1wheel Member Posts: 68
    it was the idler pully. we replaced it, and also replaced the timing belt. the starter went too. cost was 285 at my local shop. not bad. thanks all! once again, you all came through!
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Just traded my 01 300M in on a 04 Honda Pilot. I owned my 300m for 2.5 years and 46k miles. It was great riding and handling car with great passing power.

However with 46k on it it drove like it had 100k. My suspsension was popping again (after having the tie rods, steering assemblies and cv boots replaced 12k miles earlier). I think I had the idler pulley whining problem. The power seat motor was also going out.

These were in addition to about 5 or 6 warranty repairs which took multiple trips to the dealer to fix because they "could not duplicate" or it took three days to even look at my car.

My previous car to the 300M was a Dodge stratus. Other than a squeaking suspension and worn rotors within 10k miles it ran flawless to when I traded it in on the 300 50k miles later.

After buying the best DC has to offer I was left with a bad taste after the numerous visits to terrible dealers. I really liked the Chrysler Pacifica as we searched for new cars. But I couldn't take the depreciation hit (13k trade in) an unreliability again.

I wish you all well with your 300's the actual car is great but the dealers and quality control leave a lot to be desired.
    CLP,

Your experience would seem to tell a lot about buying a DCX vehicle, but I think you might have made out a bit better with a different dealer. I agree about the quality problems and resale values, but at least my dealer experience was much better than yours and I think some others here have been fairly satisfied with their dealers. Granted, they are not at the level of the luxury brands, but neither is Honda or Toyota from what I've heard.

As for the quality, it's a shame. The 300M now can be had in the low 20s w/rebates, yet I can't in good conscience recommend it to a couple female friends of mine who might like it, because of quality lapses. For some it works out well because they can personally fix the failing tranny sensors and window motors, and may buy it used so the bad resale makes the cars an outstanding bargain, but for most people I would think that DMC needs to clean up their act. Supposedly they are working on quality quite hards so it will be interesting to see if the Pacifica rates highly in quality.

Before I close, I'd like to say I've been impressed with the engine and various components of the LH cars. Guys on this board are talking about their old early 90s LH cars that still have the same exhaust system, alternator, generator, struts, despite closing in on 200K miles. Some of the "stuff" holds up amazingly well, whereas the elctronics are pretty sad IMO, which are expensive pieces. Too bad. Let us know how your Pilot has holds up as the miles roll up. Good luck w/your new vehicle!
    CLPurnell-- Good luck with your new vehicle. I am probably prejudiced, but I hate the proliferation of SUVs. Mainly gas guzzling issues, and the fact that I get passed on the Interstates by guys driving these "trucks" at 80-90 mph and weaving in an out of traffic like they are sports cars. They blow a tire at a speed they shouldn't be doing, roll it, and then look to sue someone. [excuse the rant.] I am still enjoying my 99 M/T "Car of the Year" 300M, and haven't had any of the original build parts problems in quite some time. My dealer still is a 5* and they deserve to be. They enjoy seeing my car when I bring it in for service. They call me within the week after a service to make sure I am happy with the result. One tech told me he wanted to be first in line if I ever consider selling it. Even if I go to an 04 Vette, or an improved version of the Crossfire [the SRT-6, which is coming with 330 h.p.]in the spring when the M is paid off, they [well, the wife] will still have to pry the keys from my cold, dead hands before I give it up [and she probably will]. Brand new, leftover, 03 Ms are selling here for $24.5. I don't think a better bargain is out there, except maybe 14% off the sticker of an 04 Vette.
    Thanks Guys. I have enjoyed this board alot over the past couple years. You guys have been a major help with problems, mods etc.

I was not an SUV person either but living here in Texas now I have to give in because it seems trucks outnumber cars 3-1. It might not make sense but I just feel safer in a larger vehicle now. Plus even though I have two SUV's they are rated within 3mpg of the 300M (17-22 for both the FX and Pilot)

I went to 4 or 5 different dealers over the course of owning my car. 2 were respectable Curry Motors in chicago (where I bought it) and Gillman Chrysler in Richmond, TX. These are the places I had the most luck getting things fixed and Curry actually gave loaners if you bought from them. The others were down right horrible even though they all were 5*.

The 300 was a great car I initially picked it over the es300, I30, maxima and VW passat. It offered at the time the best combination of sportiness and luxury for the money. I think the DC merger is killing chrysler they seem to be taking steps backwards in quality and design. Other than the crossfire and pacifica none of the other new dc vehicles do anything for me. Especially that 300C v8 or not it is not a fitting replacements for our M's. I hope you guys enjoy the M's for a long time. It's been a blast.
    Did you peruse the Honda Pilot board on Edmunds before selecting that vehicle? I just took a look over there and they have an extensive problems thread and not too complimentary about some of the dealers on repairs either. Just wondering.
    yup I did also checked out another pilot message board. The biggest complaints are vibrations at speed and gas sloshing. Both I checked for on mine before I bought it. I also read Edmunds long term review and problems.

I chalk some of these up to first year bugs. All in all it has much fewer problems than the domestics and about even with the Seqouia. I understand all to well that every car would have problems. I don't have a problem with that. My infiniti has had problems but I got a loaner and the problems have been fixed right the first time. One thing I know is if I am sick of it I will lose less money on it.

Any car is a gamble and could be a lemon even a honda, nissan or toyota. I know this but was just fed up with the way my 300 felt after 46k miles. Like I said my lowly dodge stratus felt better with 60k than the 300 did.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I hope Pilot's transmission holds up better than my Acura TL's
    Bigmike, you mentioned the '04 corvette and improved Crossfire, both interesting vehicles. Since it's been about 10 years since I've known anyone who had a 'vette, I was just wondering how the quality and NVH characteristics are on the newer ones. Back around 1990 the vettes used to require a lot of shop visits for some reasons, at least those were the stories I heard. Also, I was wondering if the road/wind/engine noise is much worse than our 300 Ms? I don't mind engine noise on acceleration, like the M has, but I like to cruise fairly quietly. Your comments got the wheels turning in my head; I've always admired the 'vette but never actually drove one, although I've driven in them.
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    Did you notice any increase in "valve clatter" on cold start after you put on a Fram filter?
    I've held off on a test drive on the Vette, but have sat in the cabin at my Caddy/Chevy dealer's showroom. I've read all the literature I could find on it and looked at the Edmunds forum and the F-55 [Magnetic Selective Ride] feature, a $1,700 option is supposed to really take care of the stiffness of the ride over bumps and railroad tracks, etc. The run flats are still stiff and noisy, and the cabin noise is one of the issues a lot of people have with it, but my "low" decibel ride is someone else's "high" decibel ride, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I got a little time yet til the spring payoff on my M and I would like to see what the ticket will be on the Crossfire SRT-6 coupe due out in the spring. I stopped by the dealer on Saturday and asked if they had any pricing info yet, and I got the usual blank stare from the saleman. The red Crossfire automatic I test drove in early July is still there, on the showroom floor and they now have gotten their 2nd one, a Saphire Silver Blue automatic, which is sitting out front. They told me in July they would be getting another one in Nov. but they didn't know what it would be. I didn't go inside to check to see if they lowered the Add'l Market Value [$3K ripoff] markup off the price of the red one. Its got to have 4-500 miles on it from test drives by now.
    Indy,

Right now is the 1st Fram filter I've used. It's not the standard one, which is I think called TG (Tough Guard) or something like that--it's a performance one that is 2 steps up (?Super Guard? or something similar) which costs about double what the standard Fram filters cost. Anyway, no problems with it. Are you sure your problem is associated with the filter--that would obviously be rather unusual, but certainly possible. I plan to use Fram filters from here on out, as Consumer Reports some years back rated filters and Fram was either #1 or right near the top--I always remember that test.

BigMike, thx for the info. And I think your waiting can only help you in regard to pricing on the Crossfire. THat 3K fee should be called "ripoff add-on" IMO. Things like that make me bargain the dealer down to the lowest possible point, rather than giving them the last few hundred dollars that are always the hardest part to get from them... But personally I would prefer the 'vette to the Crossfire, if its safety ratings are good. In a low, smaller vehicle like these I would feel that's important. GM hasn't always done so well in the past in that department, but I have never looked into the 'vette. Of course I know a lot of people don't feel those ratings are worth much.
    To those of you on this board I would like to let you know one of our favorite members Ottoworker is being fired for his partcipation in various online communities. A link was posted earlier today that explained the story however it pointed to another forum and according to edmunds townhall guidelines I guess was removed. Otto has been an invaluable member here I wish him and his family the best. I also signed an online petition trying to get him his job back. More of this story is available elsewhere on the net but I can't say where or this may get deleted. Please if you can do some searching and show some support for Otto and his coworker who may loose their jobs for helping us all out.

Thanks
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    The town hall folks should allow something to be posted about this. I thought the purpose of these forums was to discuss the car and seek advice from others. Ottoworker has done more for the folks on this board than the entire DC marketing department could have ever hoped to do. Posting a link to a site where we can voice our support should be left avaialable. It's truly a shame. While I never posted much for him, I read all his posts and found them very useful. IMHO, Chrysler would be a world beater if they could have cloned him and his enthusiasm and knowledge of the product. Best Wishes and godspeed, Otto.
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    THAT IS VERY MESSED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:( sad.

Hope for the best!
    Absolutely unbelieveable. Probably one of the two best ambassadors for the LH platform that I have found in 5 years of ownership and participation here and on the Club board. Aside from all the good advice and "how to" knowledge he provided to participants on this forum, he attended the Dream Cruise and brought down some of the other plant guys to interface and interact with 300Mers who were there, and he was instrumental in getting us a tour of the Brampton Plant, along with the Intrepid guys; and his dad even came in and conducted one of the group tours even tho he was retired from the line. DC never had a truer more loyal employee and family than Jeff and his. I can only hope that they will reverse the b.s. decision and reinstate him post haste. Guess its too bad he didn't bilk the DC shareholders out of millions, waste money on Celine Dion commercials, and do a crappy job of marketing the product, otherwise he'd have been offered a golden parachute, or a promotion to the top of the board of directors. Rock-on Jeff.
    3 important points:

1) Definitely sue: plenty of board members would gladly testify to your support of DMC and help to owners of DMC vehicles.

2) Find a top notch employment case lawyer and definitely sue. In the USA there's a book available in reference sections of libraries entitled "America's Best Lawyers", and you can find the best lawyers in your area based on how their peers rate them. Perhaps Canada has a similar publication.

3) Definitely sue

It's called wrongful termination, or perhaps for violating their own company rules for how to deal with employees. IMO you should get your job back and reparations if they try such a crazy thing.
    What's the drill on replacing the battery?
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I looked at other forums and saw that they had fired YB Normal. Was Otto fired too?
    As I understand it they let them both go. Otto has not been on any of the boards since but YB said they were both in similar situations.
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    I've had my new Pirellis on for about 3000 miles now, I've taken a long road trip (San Diego to Dallas), and one entire day of that trip was in the rain, so I now have a pretty good feel for how good they are. In a word, phenomenal!!
    The dry weather handling is every bit as good as the Goodrich GForce KDW's I replaced. The wet weather handling is unbelievable, I really could not get them to slip or aquaplane. I still haven't had a chance to check them out in snowy or icy conditions (they are rated to excel in those conditions also).
    And they are so quiet! The Goodrich KDWs were much quieter than the original Goodyears, but the Pirellis are just about totally silent, even over expansion joints. I do hear a slight hum on brushed concrete roadways but otherwise I just hear the stereo without having to turn it up!
    I don't think they are offered in the M's original size (mine are 245/45-15's mounted on 17 x 8.5 wheels).
    Lynn Flowers
    back at home in McKinney, Texas!!!
    Indy, never had to change my battery (although it's almost 5 years old and has seriously corroded white terminals). I remember that different guys used different methods to change--just do a search on this thread for "battery" and I think you'll come up with a couple of methods.

Pzeros; wow, so the Pzero Nero M&S is as good as the ratings on tirerack suggest. Here's a link that will show you how much your speedo is off since you changed sizes: http://www.mr2.com/FORMS/tire.html
    Glad they worked out well--enjoy the quiet ride. The confusing thing to me about that tire is that the Nero comes in both a M&S variety and a non M&S variety; seems like people will get the different blends confused to me. Anyway, enjoy your quiet ride. I'm probably going to get the Falken ZIEX-512s myself, which are Z rated for speed, all-weather, and one of Consumer Reports top picks. But they aren't widely available w3hich is a pain.
    If your original M has 225/55 17 inch tires, as mine does, here is the percentage of how much your speedo will be off by at 70 MPH with some different sizes:

Side wall Tire Actual Percent
    Tire Size Height Radius Speed @70 Error
    ------------------------------------------------
    225/55 17 123.75 339.65 70.00 0.000
    225/50 17 112.50 328.40 67.68 3.312
    235/50 17 117.50 333.40 68.71 1.840
    245/50 17 122.50 338.40 69.74 0.368
    I had Sears change mine at almost the five year point. Despite my telling them the battery was accessible from the top, when I went for coffee they took the shroud off the passenger side front wheel well and went in from there. Took them an inordinate amount of time to get the shroud back on, and as it turns out they left off some of the shroud clips and one screw. I guess the clips are a real [non-permissible content removed] to get back on. I had the dealer replace the missing clips when I had it serviced a few months ago, at least I told them to replace em. I'll double check this on the next tire rotation. The battery change was just PM as I was coming up on 5 years.
    Thanks for the tip on the search. Had never used it before and I found the discussion you remembered. Guess who gave the inside tip? Yep, Otto! FTR, he related that they always remove the battery from the top w/o removing the fender liner by turning the wheels all the way to the right so the plastic fender liner can be pushed out if needed. Disconnect positive cable first, then pull the battery out (there's slack in the neg cable), then finish the job.

Another DC assembly secret betrayed!
    BigMike; I'll be sure not to let Sears replace my battery!

Indy, I'm glad the "search" worked well for you. I use it (obviously) when I start wondering about some mechanical trivia such as your request. And 3 cheers for Otto! I guess he's in trouble for helping us with our cars.
    Has anyone else with the Nav unit noticed that the map orientation compass doesn't match the EVIC compass? They match for north and south, but are opposite for east and west in my car. When the EVIC shows SW, W, or NW the Nav unit points SE, E, NE and vice versa. Anybody have any ideas on why the Nav unit is reversed? The EVIC compass is correct.
  • bcmtbbcmtb Member Posts: 8
    I have an 02 300m. I have just started having problems when I roll up the driver side window, the motor sounds like it keeps on going. Has any one else had this? I also have been hearing when I start my car, espcially when it is cold, bubbling sounds or lots of fluid swishing around under the hood.What is this?
    Been on here 5 years and never heard of the bubbling sounds before. On the window regulator, have had them not run[2], but never keep running. I would definitely have that checked ASAP. I think there is a Tech Support Bulletin on the windows.
  • beespecialbeespecial Member Posts: 69
    It seems that this thread is fading away just like the M and Otto. I've been visiting this board since I got my M a year ago and it's been a tremendous resource of information and discussion.

Good luck Otto.
  • josephdujosephdu Member Posts: 1
    My car is 300M, and the original wheel is 17", right now I want to change the wheel to 18", however, I am not sure about whether or not I have to reset or adjust my transmission computer for fitting the 18" wheel, for the main reason that some of my friend told me that the transmission control unit will be pre-setted for 17", can anyone provide the opinion on that issue? Thanks
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    Rim doesn't matter. It's the tire the counts. You need to get a 18" tire that is the closest in rolling diamiter as the stock 17". In this case a 245-45-18, or 225-50-18. Both will make your speedo run less then a mile off from stock.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    I've been on this board (more reading than posting) since mid '99. It has been a great thread, but I too fear that as the M fades and the (from the pix I've seen)terribly blocky-styled C/N begins to roll out, so too shall this thread pass.

My '99, with 54k miles continues to roll merrily along. The M is still, 5 years later, one of the best styled cars on the road.

Happy Holidays, fastdriver. Dr. Pixel, are you still lurking? I hope all is well personally and professionally.

Off to dinner...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    beespecial-

You should have seen how ACTIVE it was back in June 98 and continuing until .............

Couldn't miss 2 days here or you'd have hundreds of messages to catch up on. No more. You have the "Special" model- right? How's she holding up?

laurasdada-

Still lurking. Watching the Kirkorian trial in Delaware very closely. Wow- 54k! My car will be 3 years old in March. I only have 27k! Want to get the new TL, but have to wait a few more months to see how to get out of this lease early and into a new Diamond White model. Glad that she's still purring along for you.

DC really thinks these new LH models are going to turn things around for them. I think they're delusional! ;-)) I've seen 2 Pacificas on the road, maybe 3 since they came out and only 2 Crossfires. I expect the Hemi 300N will be used for the govt. staff in and around the White House/FBI/CIA/SS etc.

fastdriver
    My '99 Candy Apple Red 'M has excessive paint chippping on the front 1/4 of the hood. I'm wondering it this is due to 1) the aerodynamic and low front end 2) paint that is not hard enough or 3)some other reason. Does anyone know the reason for this? Other than that, the paint shines like new even thought the car is almost 5 years old and been outside for the past 2.
  • rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    I don't think this board will fade out due to lack of interest in the M. If anything, it'll probably increase. I think it goes through phases. There are a lot of lurkers (me included) that only lurk.
    As these cars age, hopefully more people will want repair advice and such. Of course the "other" M board handles that well.
    I check in here a couple times a week and enjoy it. Maybe its the winter blahs thats slowing down participation.
    Rick/Geezer300M
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    In response to your inquiry:

The steeply raked front end will attract more stone chips.

I have heard that the paint on all new cars is "softer" than it was a few years ago due to environmental regulations. I have also heard that body/paint shops are not subject to these same regulations and if you repaint your car, you will get a better paint job (probably not on the $99 special).

I have only heard this -- I have no documented evidence...
  • beespecialbeespecial Member Posts: 69
    Yeah, I do have an '03 Special. She just had her first birthday last month. Just humming along at 18k and still turning heads. Only problems to date was a motor oil leak and transmission line leak. Each happened at different times but were quickly and easily remedied. Received great service from my 5* both times.

I sure hope Rick is right and it's just winter blahs set in already and people will start posting again. I know I haven't contributed a lot on this board, mostly lurked, but I would really hate to see it fade away. I've gotten a lot of really good information here as well as the "other" board.

I know what you mean about the early activity. When I started watching this board just a year ago, Monday mornings took me a long time to catch up on all the new stuff because I wouldn't check it on the weekend.

Happy Holidays to all!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    as long as I have my M (and maybe beyond?). While it's been a loyal friend, and I hope and expect it to stay that way for some time, I'll probably start getting nervous about expensive repairs beginning at the 60k mile mark. I got rid of my Intrepid at 59,000 miles (or was it 69k miles?) as things were beginning to wear out/break.

Got 28-30" of snow this weekend. M spent a lot of quality time in the garage, but when it was able to exit hibernation, did fine in the snow (TC got a workout!). Unfortunately, my fenced in yard, thanks to an unknowing plow guy, in not so fenced any more!

How 'bout them Pats!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)